USO R2: [8] Roddick def. Gulbis 3-6, 7-5, 6-2, 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO R2: [8] Roddick def. Gulbis 3-6, 7-5, 6-2, 7-5

LinkMage
08-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Gulbis was serving at 5-4 in the 2nd set and got broken 3 straight times to lose the 2nd set 7-5 and go down 3-0 in the 3rd.

MIMIC
08-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Gulbis was playing out of his mind in the first and second set. He averaged 109 in second serves, which was 1 mph faster than Roddick's average second serve He was cruising along...that is until Gulbis served for the 2nd set at 4-5 and the pressure got to him. Roddick broke back for the first time in the match and from then on, Gulbis started spraying UEs. At set point, Roddick pushed/sliced the ball back, and patiently waited for the error.

He got his wish and took the 2nd set.

In the 3rd set, Roddick's experience would help him win. It was a virtue that Gulbis lacked and he would eventually meltdown a little further.

Gulbis would play a little better in the 4th set but again would let the pressure get to him.

In the end, the all-serve pusher would be victorious. :o

BTW, Gulbis' net play was magnificent :eek:

MIMIC
08-30-2008, 06:39 AM
It was like Gulbis turned into a completely different person. He had a complete and total meltdown

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 06:40 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed that. Two of my favs playing at a very high intensity. Happy Birthday to both of them. :bdaycake: :aparty:

eck
08-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Happy Birthday Ernie :tape:

Way to give Andy a birthday present :o

leng jai
08-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Lame result.

LinkMage
08-30-2008, 06:45 AM
BTW, nice serving by Gulbis. 10 DFs. :tape: :help:

markd
08-30-2008, 06:47 AM
I agree, I thought that was a really fun match. Gulbis went away and roddick pulled it together. they should both feel good.

selyoink
08-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen Tomas Berdych v2.0. Play outstanding tennis for the better part of two sets but blow it when serving for a commanding lead. Then totally implode including taking a nap for an entire set. Wake up and play decent tennis but totally donate the final game.

I know its only one match but Gulbis looked more like Berydch then a future slam winner.

Voo de Mar
08-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Very good match :yeah: Del Potro and Cilic are higher in ranking than Gulbis but the Latvian has bigger potential to win the biggest tournaments. Unfortunately he is a headcase. Lost match 1-3 which should have won 3-0. Definitely he needs very good coach but more than that a psychologist. With Djokovic's mentality, Gulbis would be an unstoppable machine of winning everywhere.

In both losing 5-7 sets the same situation. Gulbis thought had served an ace, was ready to play tie-break, then Roddick got a challenge and won easily another point :smash:

~Maya~
08-30-2008, 06:49 AM
It was so painful to watch Gulbis totally fall apart in this match. 60 UE's vs Roddick's 21 UE's.

10 DF's

Happy Birthday to both
Congratulations Roddick

Painful match

08-30-2008, 06:50 AM
Happy Birthday!

So much potential...blech. There were moments of complete brilliance, and others that were just awful. Gulbis outplayed Roddick for 2 sets, if it counts for anything. Oh well, Andy lives to serve another day.

~*BGT*~
08-30-2008, 06:50 AM
Why do people who dislike Andy start his match thread? :shrug:

ChinoRios4Ever
08-30-2008, 06:51 AM
5 to go Andy :rocker:

selyoink
08-30-2008, 06:52 AM

Why do people who like tennis like watching Nadull? :shrug:

~*BGT*~
08-30-2008, 06:53 AM
The beginning was hard to watch. Whodathunkit at 6-3 5-4 that Andy would come back. :lol: But Andy was solid and held on throughout the onslaught of the first set and a half and let Ernie implode. He also picked up his game throughout the match imo. Very nice of Ernie to stay on court for an interview after the match and sign autographs. Great job Andy. :yeah:

selyoink
08-30-2008, 06:55 AM
5 to go Andy :rocker:

Andy will be thankful that he doesn't have to navigate past Guccione or Machado. They were probably his only real challengers for this title. All that remains is his arch-nemesis Muller.

BlakeJamitis
08-30-2008, 06:58 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed that match too. Way to hang in there Andy. Go USA! LOL

sheeter
08-30-2008, 06:58 AM
I enjoyed this match immensely. Lots of power, carzy shots, everything sounded like cannon fire. All credit to Roddick for keeping in there until Gulbis came back down to Earth. If Gulbis curves his overly risky tendencies, he can really be something.

leng jai
08-30-2008, 06:59 AM
The beginning was hard to watch. Whodathunkit at 6-3 5-4 that Andy would come back. :lol: But Andy was solid and held on throughout the onslaught of the first set and a half and let Ernie implode. He also picked up his game throughout the match imo. Very nice of Ernie to stay on court for an interview after the match and sign autographs. Great job Andy. :yeah:

Sounds like every match when the Duck manages to beat a decent player. Absolutely helpless when the opposition is playing well and pushing it back waiting for the mug across to net to self-implode :worship:

~Maya~
08-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Out of 138 points that Roddick won, half came from Gulbis's UE's and DF's. That is how Roddick won the match.

Fumus
08-30-2008, 07:03 AM
Sounds like every match when the Duck manages to beat a decent player. Absolutely helpless when the opposition is playing well and pushing it back waiting for the mug across to net to self-implode :worship:

Jean Cocteau:

Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest?

Black Adam
08-30-2008, 07:05 AM
No big surprise here. The haters can't help but post match result threads to complain about how it's unfair that the players they have keep winning. Like Nadal or Roddick.

Clara Bow
08-30-2008, 07:06 AM
I am not yet ready to write Gulbis off as a Berdych. He is a fresh 20 and this could be a learning experience. I like that he came back a bit in the end. I hope he does mature and can get through rough patches, because he can be neat to watch and seems to be a fun guy.

Congrats to Andy. His experience helped him a bit. I was glad that he did not get into one of his barking modes- which he can at times. He was just calm (well outside of the smashed racquet) and weathered the storm.

Black Adam
08-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Happy birthday and a huge thanks for sending that overrated billionaire ball basher home.

~*BGT*~
08-30-2008, 07:16 AM

Because I have the right to watch whomever I like just as you have the right to be negative in every single post. Who are you to judge what good tennis is? :shrug:

freeandlonely
08-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Same story for Gulbis

So Gasquet is the only top16 not making R32...?

HoistDaColors
08-30-2008, 07:54 AM
i predicted that he would lose when he lost the second set. i stopped watching and started playing rock band. came back and wow i am right.

gulzhan
08-30-2008, 07:59 AM
where the title in the "battle of birthday boys"?! :mad: :lol:

Happy Birthday to both!

Actually I was sure Andy would lose as other Olympics traitors :tape: Next round then ;)

fast_clay
08-30-2008, 08:37 AM
ernests played the better tennis by far... in all catergories...

except balls and heart...

i'm not saying that roddick's are massive... just that gulbis is equipped with the extra small variety...

the stats dont show this however...

Forehander
08-30-2008, 08:58 AM
lol Gulbis have quite a high amount of double faults in his matches. But overall pretty good. Gulbis had the chance to take this to a two sets to love lead -_-

Venle
08-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Ernests :awww: Wish he could've been able to make it a five setter.

Anyway:

Happy birthday, Ernests!
Happy birthday, Andy!

Oj-Ala
08-30-2008, 09:11 AM
I have to say I feel sorry for Gulbis... :sad: But I have to thank him for giving Andy this birthday present ! :lol: Im happy that Andy won :D

Happy birthday to both !!

HeretiC
08-30-2008, 09:37 AM
It has been said a numerous times before: Enests possesses all the talent, weapons and abilities and on a much higher level than average players on tour, but he is still immature and a head-case to a some point. I did not watch the match yet, but I can imagine how it went. While all the main cards were on the table and when they were trying with arm wrestling Gulbis was the one dominating and winning. Experienced Roddick sees that this is going into wrong direction for him and changes himself into a patient pusher, waiting for an errors from the opponent. And that is the area where Gulbis is weak, he can't adopt to new situations, he continues to force the same game and start spewing UE's. He lost lot of matches like that before and he is going to lose more in the future unless his coach put in his head that tennis is played with an another player across the net, not just with yourself. He is still stuck in a 12-16 year mental age where coaches forces players to concentrate on their selves game, shots and strokes. And once they face experienced opponents who will mix and change thing, they starts to wonder how come the same shots that were working so beautifully few seconds ago suddenly have a disastrous outcome. Ernests has nothing to improve in his game and shots, he just need the ability to access the situation, notice the changes in opponent's game-plan and adopt to a new situations. If he does that he will be a real force on the tour, if not he will beat only the uniform players with less abilities that himself. It would be such a waste of a great talent.:sad:

Golfnduck
08-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Good win Andy :yeah:

TFan1156
08-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Happy birthday to both players. :)

Gulbis is very talented but needs to learn how to man up if he wants to be a top player. The tour is full of very talented chokers. Whether he manages to break out from the pack remains to be seen.

Bilbo
08-30-2008, 10:26 AM
expected one

RIboy
08-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen Tomas Berdych v2.0.

exactly, upgraded Tomas:o

bambelbitz
08-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Overall very good match!

rocketassist
08-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Roddick was Simon v2.0 out there- absolutely pathetic.

Ernie, ffs, in any service game there's no excuse for three UEs. He lost this himself, Rodduck never won it.

seljanin
08-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Congrats with a win, Andy! :yeah:

Also congrats to both guys with their birthdays!

Watched the whole match and was unimpressed. Way too many DF and UE from Ernests. He surprised me at the net though, he was really good there this time. I have to say that at 6:3, 5:3 Andy looked completely lost, and I thought that this is it. But Ernests started to make lots of stupid mistakes, and there was a sudden momentum change.

Andy had switched some ultra-passive pushing mode today. It was enough to win today, but he must improve his game, otherwise I don't see him defending the last year's points.

sawan66278
08-30-2008, 12:44 PM
It has been said a numerous times before: Enests possesses all the talent, weapons and abilities and on a much higher level than average players on tour, but he is still immature and a head-case to a some point. I did not watch the match yet, but I can imagine how it went. While all the main cards were on the table and when they were trying with arm wrestling Gulbis was the one dominating and winning. Experienced Roddick sees that this is going into wrong direction for him and changes himself into a patient pusher, waiting for an errors from the opponent. And that is the area where Gulbis is weak, he can't adopt to new situations, he continues to force the same game and start spewing UE's. He lost lot of matches like that before and he is going to lose more in the future unless his coach put in his head that tennis is played with an another player across the net, not just with yourself. He is still stuck in a 12-16 year mental age where coaches forces players to concentrate on their selves game, shots and strokes. And once they face experienced opponents who will mix and change thing, they starts to wonder how come the same shots that were working so beautifully few seconds ago suddenly have a disastrous outcome. Ernests has nothing to improve in his game and shots, he just need the ability to access the situation, notice the changes in opponent's game-plan and adopt to a new situations. If he does that he will be a real force on the tour, if not he will beat only the uniform players with less abilities that himself. It would be such a waste of a great talent.:sad:

For someone who didn't see the match, spot on...amazing. Gulbis should have won in straight sets...but played an awful game at 5-4 in the second. No serving and coming in...just trying to blast shots as Roddick pushed the ball back (i.e. slice nonsense). Gulbis needs a REAL coach. The potential there is amazing...its just a matter of time...top five for certain...and definitely not a Berdych...The kid is bright...and its just a matter of time before the Roddicks and Blakes of the world are replaced by REAL talent: like Gulbis, Del Potro, Belluci, Tsonga, and Monfils.

Andi-M
08-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Expected.

Gulbis is wild and crazy, he cant play pecentage tennis. The more consistant guy won.

tt boy
08-30-2008, 01:01 PM
That was brutal Erniehttp://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg133/ertyrwryw/monsters-inc71.gif

SheepleBuster
08-30-2008, 01:07 PM
I think Gulbis showed he is not ready for Prime Time. We all saw that in the same situation, Cilic or Del Potro didn't choke but Gulbis choked bing in the 2nd set. Unfortunately now, only Djokovic is the favorite against Roddic in that entire half. Federer will probably lose to Stepanek the way he is playing. Can we see a Andy vs. Andy in final? I certainly hope not.

JolánGagó
08-30-2008, 01:14 PM

Perhaps they like Gulbis.

Nice choke by Ernests :rolleyes: Please give the boy a break before equating him to that brainless mug Berdych.

stebs
08-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Some fantastic tennis in that match (though I didn't see from start to fin) but also some dreadful errors. Gulbis probably should've been up 2 sets to 0 after which you have to think he woul've won but the fact is he didn't. Roddick played pretty good, he was too passive but it's difficult to be the aggressor against Gulbis monster strokes. In the end the UE's mounted up too high and it cost Gulbis the match.

Loremaster
08-30-2008, 01:20 PM

what a lame post, do you think that because he is always beating Roger he can't be a good player. He should be an idol to every young player in the world considering his work ethic, mentality and that hunger to improve.

Fedexex
08-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Ernie:sobbing::(

SheepleBuster
08-30-2008, 01:24 PM
what a lame post, do you think that because he is always beating Roger he can't be a good player. He should be an idol to every young player in the world considering his work ethic, mentality and that hunger to improve.

As someone who doesn't like either Roddick or Nadal, I can tell you that I rather see Nadal win this tournament than Roddick reach the fourth round. Nadal is a respectful hardworking bull whereas Roddick is a punk. I don't know if you watched the match last night, but he was constantly talking to Gulbis (probably swearing). That behavior really is unacceptable. I don't know if it's against the rules or not but it's shameful for Roddick to try to get in people's face and intimidate them. I guess it worked.

Bernard Black
08-30-2008, 01:35 PM
As someone who doesn't like either Roddick or Nadal, I can tell you that I rather see Nadal win this tournament than Roddick reach the fourth round. Nadal is a respectful hardworking bull whereas Roddick is a punk. I don't know if you watched the match last night, but he was constantly talking to Gulbis (probably swearing). That behavior really is unacceptable. I don't know if it's against the rules or not but it's shameful for Roddick to try to get in people's face and intimidate them. I guess it worked.

Yes, Roddick doesn't work hard off court and of course Nadal never does anything to distract or intimidate his opponents :rolleyes:

Well done Roddick, Gulbis had him on the ropes for much of the early going but he stayed in there and with that serve it was always going to be tough for Gulbis to come back once he'd fallen behind.

finishingmove
08-30-2008, 01:35 PM
bad one from gulbis. real fuck up.

JolánGagó
08-30-2008, 01:40 PM
and of course Nadal never does anything to distract or intimidate his opponents :rolleyes:

He doesn't have to *do* anything, his mere presence is enough.

Tutu
08-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Omg, roddick's gorund game is the most ridiculous ever. I mean calling him Simon v2.0 is a horrible insult to Gilles - at least he can hit winners.

What is this I heard about Roddick mocking Ernests at the end of the match? :o

SheepleBuster
08-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Yes, Roddick doesn't work hard off court and of course Nadal never does anything to distract or intimidate his opponents :rolleyes:

Well done Roddick, Gulbis had him on the ropes for much of the early going but he stayed in there and with that serve it was always going to be tough for Gulbis to come back once he'd fallen behind.

Has Nadal ever talked or yelled at his opponents during the match? Roddick tried to hit Gulbis last night. There was no doubt about that. Even McEnroe saw it. But regardless, Roddick may work hard. I don't question that. I question his manner.

Bernard Black
08-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Has Nadal ever talked or yelled at his opponents during the match? Roddick tried to hit Gulbis last night. There was no doubt about that. Even McEnroe saw it. But regardless, Roddick may work hard. I don't question that. I question his manner.

If you've picked up a racquet mate, you'd know 99% of tennis players are jerks. Through the amateurs to the pros, you have to develop a thick skin.

I would assume you're not a fan of football either, what with the way they yell at each other and swear at the officials, would be a bit to rough for you I would imagine.

Winston's Human
08-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Jamming your opponent when they are parked at the net is and has always been a legitimate shot.

Turquoise
08-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Gulbis has such explosive talent, and I hope with experience he'll have a real chance at a grand slam title. It was wonderful to watch him in the first 2 sets, but painful to see him fall apart. Pity he couldn't serve out the second set; the outcome of the match might have been different. Congrats to Roddick for finding his way back into the match and pull off the victory.

DhammaTiger
08-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Congratulations to Roddick and his fans :hug:

SheepleBuster
08-30-2008, 02:29 PM
If you've picked up a racquet mate, you'd know 99% of tennis players are jerks. Through the amateurs to the pros, you have to develop a thick skin.

I would assume you're not a fan of football either, what with the way they yell at each other and swear at the officials, would be a bit to rough for you I would imagine.

No actually. I am a fan of football but I expect people to yell in that game. That makes it fun. But you look at Roger, Rafa, even Novak, and they don't try to intimidate opponents by insulting them. Since when Roddick's punkish behavior became normal in tennis? As far as I can tell, Roddick is the only top 10 player who does it.

DhammaTiger
08-30-2008, 02:30 PM

Where do u get that statistics? I have been playing tennis at the club level for the past 30 years in 3 different continents and never experienced or felt that the majority of the people playing tennis were what you describe. Sure there are those who are rude and ill mannered they are generally shunned by other members. As for bad behaviour among pros, it exists but as not wide spread as you say. However, what I have written shouldnt be implied that I am supporting the accusations against Roddick. I can't say anything as I didn't see the match.

Bilbo
08-30-2008, 02:41 PM
told ya he would crack under the pressure of playing a night match against the local hero

just imagine gulbis playing in davis cup :scared:

Bilbo
08-30-2008, 02:42 PM
I am not yet ready to write Gulbis off as a Berdych.

he will end up like berdych imo

DhammaTiger
08-30-2008, 02:53 PM

I agree with you.

Running:Free
08-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Happy birthday to both players. :)

Gulbis is very talented but needs to learn how to man up if he wants to be a top player. The tour is full of very talented chokers. Whether he manages to break out from the pack remains to be seen.

Exactly what I got from this match. He has the talent, it just needs to be cultivated in the right direction, or he's just one of many other's who've faded away.

Ernie's touch at the net :yeah: He can fire off his ground strokes, yet control and time volley's/dropshot's perfectly. That shot at the end of the second set (dive, backhand, DTL winner?) pretty incredible.

Vida
08-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Went to bed at the middle of the 2nd set, thinking boy was i wrong to predict a contest here. Roddick looked like a chicken about to be plucked, sweating and all shivering with anxiety, Gulbis had him on the ropes with his groundies ... Any surprise, surprise Gulbis is the one who went short. So what, choke Baltic style? To me Andy looked chokish at the start.

gusman890
08-30-2008, 03:07 PM
No actually. I am a fan of football but I expect people to yell in that game. That makes it fun. But you look at Roger, Rafa, even Novak, and they don't try to intimidate opponents by insulting them. Since when Roddick's punkish behavior became normal in tennis? As far as I can tell, Roddick is the only top 10 player who does it.

Hes American. He grew up like any other American kid, watching football and baseball and basketball. Those guys all were "In-your-face" because that is an attribute of today's American athlete.

Remember, Roddick wasn't like every other rich kid that came out of America, he has roots to American sports.

RagingLamb
08-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Up to 4-5 in the second I kept wondering why this guy has such a low ranking... And then I realized why.

It was frustrating to watch. But the good news is that he has a lot of time to improve.

Bilbo
08-30-2008, 03:14 PM
But the good news is that he has a lot of time to improve.

like berdych

oh wait...

RagingLamb
08-30-2008, 03:16 PM
like berdych

oh wait...

that would be sad indeed.

vincayou
08-30-2008, 03:18 PM
He reminds as well a lot Berdych, but with something more.

Vida
08-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Yeah, Bird is a complete clown with little playing identity. Gulbis has more to him (which doesn't mean he will make it for certain).

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Ernie's biggest problem today was not mental. His game is still a little too predictable. His serve down the T is much better than his serve out wide and his dropshots had a little too much air underneath them.

It took Andy about a set and a half to figure him out. Ernie lost a lot of confidence when more of his serves were coming back at him. He was taken further out of his comfort zone when Andy employed the BH slice more frequently towards the end.

SheepleBuster
08-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Hes American. He grew up like any other American kid, watching football and baseball and basketball. Those guys all were "In-your-face" because that is an attribute of today's American athlete.

Remember, Roddick wasn't like every other rich kid that came out of America, he has roots to American sports.

Well. The Roddick I knew 5 years ago (when he was No. 1), would not approve what he is doing now. He was a good kid then. Now he is always cursing and talking to his opponent at the change over trying to intimidate. I don't know if Roddick is actually liked back in the locker room with his behavior.

Bilbo
08-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Ernie's biggest problem today was not mental.

Roddick broke him 3 times in a row. Not bad with his limited return skills. Oh wait...

I have not watched this match but even I can tell ya for sure a big part of his loss was mental.

l_mac
08-30-2008, 03:40 PM
For someone who didn't see the match, spot on...amazing. Gulbis should have won in straight sets...but played an awful game at 5-4 in the second. No serving and coming in...just trying to blast shots as Roddick pushed the ball back (i.e. slice nonsense). Gulbis needs a REAL coach. The potential there is amazing...its just a matter of time...top five for certain...and definitely not a Berdych...The kid is bright...and its just a matter of time before the Roddicks and Blakes of the world are replaced by REAL talent: like Gulbis, Del Potro, Belluci, Tsonga, and Monfils.
:spit:

Agree with the 2nd paragraph, and for the first :lol:
Where do u get that statistics?

:hug: He/she makes things up to support his/her arguement. A disgrace to these fine forums.

I thought Roddick would win in 4, and I was correct.

A lot of players in the top 100 can smack the crap out of the ball for an hour or so. :shrug: I remain unconvinced.

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Roddick broke him 3 times in a row. Not bad with his limited return skills. Oh wait...

I have not watched this match but even I can tell ya for sure a big part of his loss was mental.
Enough said.

Bilbo
08-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Enough said.

even an idiot knows roddick isn't capable to break a big server 3 times in a row on his own skills

when roddick won the 2nd set and broke again in the 3rd set it clearly shows gulbis was broken due to a mental letdown of his own after losing the 2nd set like this

Bijoux0021
08-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Gulbis was playing out of his mind in the first and second set. He averaged 109 in second serves, which was 1 mph faster than Roddick's average second serve He was cruising along...that is until Gulbis served for the 2nd set at 4-5 and the pressure got to him. Roddick broke back for the first time in the match and from then on, Gulbis started spraying UEs. At set point, Roddick pushed/sliced the ball back, and patiently waited for the error.

He got his wish and took the 2nd set.

In the 3rd set, Roddick's experience would help him win. It was a virtue that Gulbis lacked and he would eventually meltdown a little further.

Gulbis would play a little better in the 4th set but again would let the pressure get to him.

In the end, the all-serve pusher would be victorious. :o

BTW, Gulbis' net play was magnificent :eek:
Very good analysis.

Gulbis totally let Roddick off the hook last night. After he broke Roddick in the second set, Roddick smashed his rocket so hard that even he probably thought this was it; he was going to go down. Intead, Gulbis couldn't buy a first serve to close out the set. And he started making stupid errors to give Roddick hope.

It was so frustrating watching Gulbis threw away another great opportunity in a Grand Slam. I hope he learns from matches like these, because his game is amazing to watch. His play at the net was just awesome.

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 03:56 PM
even an idiot knows roddick isn't capable to break a big server 3 times in a row on his own skills

when roddick won the 2nd set and broke again in the 3rd set it clearly shows gulbis was broken due to a mental letdown of his own after losing the 2nd set like this
Your genius and logic is too much for me.

scoobs
08-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Gulbis's problem is that he can start off at a blisteringly high level but inevitably it starts to tail off and then he doesn't know what to do - he just tries to get it back with bigger serving, harder hitting, more cute stuff - and ends up making far too many UEs, DFs, poor shot selections.

He either needs to learn how to sustain his level, learn how to pace himself better so he's more resilient later on in matches, or come up with some Plan Bs and Cs to try when Plan A stops working effectively. At the moment he just relies on going down with huge swings.

RagingLamb
08-30-2008, 04:03 PM
21 vs. 60 UEs according to usopen.org.

FairWeatherFan
08-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Gulbis is another Gonzalez/Philippoussis.

Rarely do we see 'power' players like this successfully temper their games.

Bijoux0021
08-30-2008, 04:05 PM

Completely agree. Before Gulbis' meltdown, the only thing Roddick was able to break was his own racket.

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 04:12 PM
He either needs to learn how to sustain his level, learn how to pace himself better so he's more resilient later on in matches, or come up with some Plan Bs and Cs to try when Plan A stops working effectively. At the moment he just relies on going down with huge swings.
I think people put too much emphasis on this need for a "plan B and plan C". Sampras never had a plan B, except to raise his game and play even better. In fact the majority of world #1s and slam winners could rely on their first strategy to work.

Gulbis just needs to develop his "plan A" a little better because it's too easy to figure out. He serves down the T too often and he can't cope with a low ball. So eventually everyone will just anticipate his serves and feed him sliced BHs. If he can sort out those two problems, by improving his serve out wide and developing a slice BH of his own, then his A-game should be good enough.

Bilbo
08-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Your genius and logic is too much for me.

it's not my fault if you haven't watched enough matches in your life

probably you should stop discussion too much about politics :shrug:

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 04:16 PM
it's not my fault if you haven't watched enough matches in your life

probably you should stop discussion too much about politics :shrug:
It's not my fault you call people idiots to get your point across.

Probably you should stop discussion altogether, if you haven't got an argument.

Bilbo
08-30-2008, 04:20 PM
It's not my fault you call people idiots to get your point across.

Probably you should stop discussion altogether, if you haven't got an argument.

Haven't you read what Bijoux0021 has written? He couldn't buy a 1st serve when it was most important just like Ginepri serving for the 4th set. Gulbis was broken two more times after this. This is a mental thing. It's not like he has a serve like Nieminen or Spadea.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Out of 138 points that Roddick won, half came from Gulbis's UE's and DF's. That is how Roddick won the match.

Nadull wins matches when just about 90% of his points come from his opponent's mistakes and nobody says anything about it. :rolleyes:

About the match, Gulbis is overrated. Very overrated.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2008, 04:22 PM
I think people put too much emphasis on this need for a "plan B and plan C". Sampras never had a plan B, except to raise his game and play even better. In fact the majority of world #1s and slam winners could rely on their first strategy to work.

Gulbis just needs to develop his "plan A" a little better because it's too easy to figure out. He serves down the T too often and he can't cope with a low ball. So eventually everyone will just anticipate his serves and feed him sliced BHs. If he can sort out those two problems, by improving his serve out wide and developing a slice BH of his own, then his A-game should be good enough.

What a load of crap. Of course Sampras had a plan B. In fact, when he was in his early 20s, serve and volleying on every serve was actually his plan B outside grass (mainly because grass didn't allow anything else at the time).

scoobs
08-30-2008, 04:23 PM

Well I agree that Gulbis's gameplans are often a bit too predictable and could stand finding a bit more variety in his shotmaking and serving - but he also needs to learn to bring his margins in when he's missing constantly, make the opponent beat him rather than just beating himself.

scoobs
08-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Do need to give Roddick credit though, for doing what he does well enough and hanging in the match when Gulbis was running wild.

star
08-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Gulbis's problem is that he can start off at a blisteringly high level but inevitably it starts to tail off and then he doesn't know what to do - he just tries to get it back with bigger serving, harder hitting, more cute stuff - and ends up making far too many UEs, DFs, poor shot selections.

He's just turned 20 and has also only begun to play at a high level this year. I think he will improve. He is an emotional guy and has to learn to face adversity and overcome it. He's got great potential and I think he will learn and improve. Even the God of Tennis had some difficulties at age 20. :)

scoobs
08-30-2008, 04:30 PM
He's just turned 20 and has also only begun to play at a high level this year. I think he will improve. He is an emotional guy and has to learn to face adversity and overcome it. He's got great potential and I think he will learn and improve. Even the God of Tennis had some difficulties at age 20. :)
Oh of course - he's by no means the finished article yet. I'm sure he and his team are working on plugging these gaps - because if they don't, well Tomas Berdych is a cautionary tale.

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 04:31 PM
What a load of crap.
Good point. Very well constructed.

Of course Sampras had a plan B. In fact, when he was in his early 20s, serve and volleying on every serve was actually his plan B outside grass (mainly because grass didn't allow anything else at the time).
Maybe that's why he wasn't as successful outside grass. Didn't look like much of a plan B to me.

Well I agree that Gulbis's gameplans are often a bit too predictable and could stand finding a bit more variety in his shotmaking and serving - but he also needs to learn to bring his margins in when he's missing constantly, make the opponent beat him rather than just beating himself.
That's mostly inexperience I think. Right now it looks like he enjoys striking the ball maybe a little more than getting involved in a fight.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Good point. Very well constructed.

Maybe that's why he wasn't as successful outside grass. Didn't look like much of a plan B to me.

That's mostly inexperience I think. Right now it looks like he enjoys striking the ball maybe a little more than getting involved in a fight.

In a pro level, you gotta stick to your guns. Usually a top player has one stroke of excellence. Take Gonzalez for instance. Do you think he should stop hitting his forehand if the going gets tough, when it's easily his best shot?

When we mean plan B it's more like about feeling the moment and knowing when to make your opponent play, when to be a little more patient, or when to use change of pace, etc.

Sampras was the master of knowing exactly when to change, when to pull a different strategy.

scoobs
08-30-2008, 04:43 PM
In a pro level, you gotta stick to your guns. Usually a top player has one stroke of excellence. Take Gonzalez for instance. Do you think he should stop hitting his forehand if the going gets tough, when it's easily his best shot?

When we mean plan B it's more like about feeling the moment and knowing when to make your opponent play, when to be a little more patient, or when to use change of pace, etc.

Sampras was the master of knowing exactly when to change, when to pull a different strategy.

Yes exactly - very few players have a plan B that means - okay now I serve volley 75% of my first serves, or now I go for loopy moonball forehands into his backhand corner...

When you're winning it's about reading when your opponent is now dealing with what you've been doing to get into a winning position, and making a few adjustments to give them something new to think about before you find yourself no longer winning. When you're losing it's about working out why you are losing, what you are doing badly and making adjustments to make sure you're not at least hurting your own cause.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Yep, and the problem is that players like Blake, Gulbis, Safin, Tursunov, when they realise their ballbashing isn't working, they try ballbashing harder, which will hardly benefit you.

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 04:51 PM

If by "plan B" you mean making small adjustments for opponents and situations. That's just fine-tuning plan A, like in the case of Gulbis NOT bashing the ball wildly off a slice BH which is ridiculous. You have to cope with whatever comes at you and that doesn't mean changing your strategy completely. It means directing your attack somewhere else, usually to your opponent's weakness. But it can also be about getting a passage of play that's more comfortable for you. For instance if Gulbis wanted to avoid the low slice BHs he could have attacked Roddick's FH and come in. He doesn't have to stop "ball bashing" to do that.

If you really want to see a plan B watch Becker's come-back against Agassi at Wimby 1995. He switched completely from playing predictable serve-volley to rallying and mixing it up and totally threw Agassi off his game.

schorsch
08-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Completely agree. Before Gulbis' meltdown, the only thing Roddick was able to break was his own racket.

looooooool funny :lol:

scoobs
08-30-2008, 04:56 PM
If by "plan B" you mean making small adjustments for opponents and situations. That's just fine-tuning plan A, like in the case of Gulbis NOT bashing the ball wildly off a slice BH which is ridiculous. You have to cope with whatever comes at you and that doesn't mean changing your strategy completely. It means directing your attack somewhere else, usually to your opponent's weakness. But it can also be about getting a passage of play that's more comfortable for you. For instance if Gulbis wanted to avoid the low slice BHs he could have attacked Roddick's FH and come in. He doesn't have to stop "ball bashing" to do that.

If you really want to see a plan B watch Becker's come-back against Agassi at Wimby 1995. He switched completely from playing predictable serve-volley to rallying and mixing it up and totally threw Agassi off his game.
Well then I guess it depends how you define Plan B then because very few players really have the feasible option of going from staying back to mixing it up, or from mixing it up to serve volley - ie changing game styles completely. they just don't have it in their game, so any changes of plans are going to be adjustments to their basic gamestyle rather than anything revolutionary.

Hendu
08-30-2008, 05:02 PM
He is probably the most skilled of his generation. He will have to learn not to go for the winner with every shot. He has all the shots and can play with variety. If he learns to change paces he will find the consistency he needs to play to his full potencial. He needs time for that and a good trainer.

He doesn't need a plan B, but better decision making.

The more experienced player won.

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Well then I guess it depends how you define Plan B then because very few players really have the feasible option of going from staying back to mixing it up, or from mixing it up to serve volley - ie changing game styles completely. they just don't have it in their game, so any changes of plans are going to be adjustments to their basic gamestyle rather than anything revolutionary.
That's exactly what I mean. Gulbis should never try to develop an alternate plan (eg a more passive game), he should stick to his strengths and make small adjustments when necessary. What I would argue is that he shouldn't work on his weaknesses, he should work on completing his strengths.

Karlovic has tried, and largely succeeded, to develop a more passive game to go with his aggression. I personally don't like it but it has helped him break into the top 20. So there are players who do try to develop a plan B. I just don't think it's always in their interest.

Elena.
08-30-2008, 05:06 PM
This Gulbis is one of the players I enjoy most watching,he has class.A pity he cannot handle the matches till the end

Bijoux0021
08-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Gulbis' game has plenty variety. It's an all around game. Did you see his plays at the net last night? They were breathtaking. The U.S. commentators were in awe; I was in awe. His serving and shotmaking were great until he had to close out the second set and and couldn't. It had to be nerves that stopped him, because Roddick was not able to do much against him before the meltdown.

Jem
08-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Roddick played a great match last night. He weathered the storm you knew was coming and kept it close enough to seize the opportunity when it presented itself. Really, after that second set, he never looked in doubt of losing this match. I thought he hit his backhand extremely well and he played smart, going for the big shot at the right time. Plus, he served incredibly well. I like Gulbis a lot. He's got a big game, but he needs some seasoning to go with it. Kind of cool they they had the same birthday and wound up finishing the match on their birthday. Bet that hasn't happened too mcuh over the years.

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Gulbis' game has plenty variety. It's an all around game. Did you see his plays at the net last night? They were breathtaking.
Plenty of variety for what? A top 50 player? If he wants to be top 10 he needs his serve out wide to be as good as his serve down the T. He also needs to cope when his opponents feed him a low slice ball.

The U.S. commentators were in awe; I was in awe. His serving and shotmaking were great until he had to close out the second set and and couldn't. It had to be nerves that stopped him, because Roddick was not able to do much against him before the meltdown.
Nerves stopped him because Roddick was getting more aggressive returns in play. The DFs were a direct result of that, Ernie felt he needed more on his 2nd serves.

scoobs
08-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Gulbis' game has plenty variety. It's an all around game. Did you see his plays at the net last night? They were breathtaking. The U.S. commentators were in awe; I was in awe. His serving and shotmaking were great until he had to close out the second set and and couldn't. It had to be nerves that stopped him, because Roddick was not able to do much against him before the meltdown.
Yes he hit some nice volleys and has some nice feel about the net, but what I meant is - his play was predictable - most of his serves went down the T or into the body, his second serves were either into the middle of the box, or more like first serve attempts, hence the high # of DFs. His dropshots were readable by Roddick by the middle of the second set, and Roddick was able to anticipate where the volleys were going, chase them down and make shots off them. His patterns of play became too predictable, even when they did involve getting to the net. I don't mean that he just stayed back when I say he needs more variety.

Bijoux0021
08-30-2008, 05:23 PM
:worship::worship::worship::worship:

Great post!

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2008, 05:34 PM

Thing is: players today are no Boris Beckers. They don't have the ability and game to change things up, so any adjustments are already a B plan.

He is probably the most skilled of his generation. He will have to learn not to go for the winner with every shot. He has all the shots and can play with variety. If he learns to change paces he will find the consistency he needs to play to his full potencial. He needs time for that and a good trainer.

He doesn't need a plan B, but better decision making.

The more experienced player won.

Nah. I think even Cilic is more skilled. Gulbis is a ballbasher. He has no touch.

Nah. Anyone seems like a great volleyer against Roddick, just watch semi-retired Gimelstob against him here last year.

Hendu
08-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Nah. I think even Cilic is more skilled. Gulbis is a ballbasher. He has no touch.

As far as what I have seen Gulbis has good touch. Also shows skills at the net and has some slice in his game. If he mixes it up a bit better, he would be really good. His tennis IQ is questionable though... but thats something he can develop.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2008, 06:06 PM
As far as what I have seen Gulbis has good touch. Also shows skills at the net and has some slice in his game. If he mixes it up a bit better, he would be really good. His tennis IQ is questionable though... but thats something he can develop.

Did you watch his match before playing Roddick? It was against Johansson. His volleying was atrocious.

Hendu
08-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Did you watch his match before playing Roddick? It was against Johansson. His volleying was atrocious.

No, I didn't. I have seen him play only a few times, so I might have gotten a wrong idea about his game.

But as far as what I have seen, he shows a good all around game, with very bad decision making. His game depends on streaks going for the big shot every time.

Corey Feldman
08-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Gulbis is all talent and no bottle

a pity for him

tangerine_dream
08-30-2008, 06:20 PM
I thought for sure Andy was going to lose this one so it was great to see him weather the Ernie storm and pull off the win. His positive body language impressed me most. Usually when Andy's outplayed like that for two sets he gets negative. When he smashed that racket to pieces I thought that might be the end of it, but it actually helped him to focus better and he finally got the break. I'm very happy with his performance. Five more matches to go. :dance:

Happy birthday to both boys. :bdaycake:

Black Adam
08-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Gulbis is so so overrated. Verdasco has more talent and he has headcase problems.roddick uses the same strategy against Verdasco. Just let the mugs overplay and watch them implode and spray errors all over the place. It always works and it's fun to watch.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2008, 06:28 PM
No, I didn't. I have seen him play only a few times, so I might have gotten a wrong idea about his game.

But as far as what I have seen, he shows a good all around game, with very bad decision making. His game depends on streaks going for the big shot every time.

He's kinda like Safin. He's not pathetic at the net like Nadull but he's not solid either.

fast_clay
08-30-2008, 06:30 PM

true enough... tennis has a way of bending your mentality into that of a c*ckhead in no time flat... its just the way it is... i think most competitors understand this, so as long as you can share a beer afterwards, no issue...

i don't question roddick at all... in fact... i celebrate it... its a throwback to when players outright hated other players... on court... in your face... so if ur a bloke that is getting a little upset by roddicks behaviour then i question your sexuality...

i mean... at 14 playing cricket, i was bombarded by sledging and abuse from 30 year old men, telling me that my 'mum looked good at the pub last night' and that 'the menage-a-trois they had' with her was 'fantastic'... but, f*ck it, thats sport, you gotta respond with performance first...

i find it funny... part of the game...

dont whine like a b!tch...

thats for wtaworld...

fast_clay
08-30-2008, 06:32 PM
:worship::worship::worship::worship:

Great post!

it was spot on indeed...

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2008, 06:48 PM

Everybody saw it, but also everybody knows how Nadull loves to celebrate to opponents' faces. It's the same as Roddick. You're just a blind fanboy.

JolánGagó
08-30-2008, 06:54 PM
true enough... tennis has a way of bending your mentality into that of a c*ckhead in no time flat... its just the way it is... i think most competitors understand this, so as long as you can share a beer afterwards, no issue...

i don't question roddick at all... in fact... i celebrate it... its a throwback to when players outright hated other players... on court... in your face... so if ur a bloke that is getting a little upset by roddicks behaviour then i question your sexuality...

i mean... at 14 playing cricket, i was bombarded by sledging and abuse from 30 year old men, telling me that my 'mum looked good at the pub last night' and that 'the menage-a-trois they had' with her was 'fantastic'... but, f*ck it, thats sport, you gotta respond with performance first...

thats for wtaworld...

what a load of crap.

Bernard Black
08-30-2008, 07:00 PM
:spit:

Agree with the 2nd paragraph, and for the first :lol:

:hug: He/she makes things up to support his/her arguement. A disgrace to these fine forums.

I thought Roddick would win in 4, and I was correct.

A lot of players in the top 100 can smack the crap out of the ball for an hour or so. :shrug: I remain unconvinced.

What is wrong with you? On the Nadal thread, everyone except for you could see my comments were tongue in cheek, it's not my fault you're badly in need of a humour check? As for me saying 99% of players earlier in this thread, did you think that was a serious statistic? Any idiot knows I meant a LOT of tennis players are jerks, and Gulbis will have come across many in his time and I'm sure he won't be crying himself to sleep over Roddick's behaviour but more because of his own bad play.

l_mac
08-30-2008, 07:02 PM
What is wrong with you? On the Nadal thread, everyone except for you could see my comments were tongue in cheek, it's not my fault you're badly in need of a humour check? As for me saying 99% of players earlier in this thread, did you think that was a serious statistic? Any idiot knows I meant a LOT of tennis players are jerks, and Gulbis will have come across many in his time and I'm sure he won't be crying himself to sleep over Roddick's behaviour but more because of his own bad play.

Whereas I genuinely meant you were a disgrace to MTF.

:lol: :hug:

Bernard Black
08-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Whereas I genuinely meant you were a disgrace to MTF.

:lol: :hug:

Ouch, owned again :sad:

:hug:

fast_clay
08-30-2008, 07:16 PM
what a load of crap.

tennisforum.com

or even better

mugstennisforums.com

enjoy it mate... thank me later big girl...

SheepleBuster
08-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Everybody saw it, but also everybody knows how Nadull loves to celebrate to opponents' faces. It's the same as Roddick. You're just a blind fanboy.
Um Fanboy of whom? Gulbis or Nadal? :) Seriously though. Roddick proved that the whole Santoro accident was no accident after all. But the way Nadal and Djokovic are playing right now, Roddick will have to hit them and injure them to have any chance.

platinum
08-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Roddick too strong :)

moon language
08-31-2008, 12:09 AM

thats for wtaworld...

Yeah I don't know what it is about tennis where people can't handle a little tension between opponents. I enjoy following a lot of sports and the things tennis fans complain about in terms of trash talk or overt displays of enthusiasm are just ridiculous. It's almost as bad as golf.

the cat
08-31-2008, 01:38 AM
That was a great 4 set win for Roddick over Gulbis because Gulbis pummeled Andy for the first 2 sets. :smash: Roddick seemed shell shocked but gathered himself and found a way to win.

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 04:29 AM
That was a great 4 set win for Roddick over Gulbis because Gulbis pummeled Andy for the first 2 sets. :smash: Roddick seemed shell shocked but gathered himself and found a way to win.

Correction. Gulbis found a way to lose it. Roddick didn't win it last night. He isn't that good.