Ljubicic for ATP boss? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ljubicic for ATP boss?

El Legenda
08-30-2008, 02:18 AM
He's been the Players President
Only active player to be a player rep (Europe)

well liked and respected by all players..

speaks English, Italian, Spanish, Croatian....

yes, no, maybe in 5 years....

Deboogle!.
08-30-2008, 02:31 AM
Maybe after he retires... don't think a current player should be head of the ATP

Johnny Groove
08-30-2008, 02:35 AM
hes basically retired, so sure.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2008, 02:39 AM
Yes. Hope he can speed up courts again and bring back true tennis back.

El Legenda
08-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Maybe after he retires... don't think a current player should be head of the ATP

yeah after he retires...i should have made that clear.

El Legenda
08-30-2008, 02:43 AM
hes basically retired, so sure.

he will be back in 2 weeks.

Johnny Groove
08-30-2008, 02:45 AM
he will be back in 2 weeks.

Which challenger?

El Legenda
08-30-2008, 02:48 AM
Which challenger?

Vienna.

Johnny Groove
08-30-2008, 02:49 AM
Vienna.

thats more than two weeks

fast_clay
08-30-2008, 02:59 AM
yes.. of course... we need at least two grand slams played on plastic or ice at the moment...

ivan will f***ing deliver...

adee-gee
08-30-2008, 03:10 AM
yes.. of course... we need at least two grand slams played on plastic or ice at the moment...

If Ljubicic had it his way there wouldn't be any grand slams ;)

Yappa
08-30-2008, 03:11 AM
He already has the necessary hair. Now he'll just need to get fatter (like Kafelnikov). Give him a few years. :D

El Legenda
08-30-2008, 03:13 AM
thats more than two weeks

i've been out of it..i found out last night that the US Open started :p

bluefork
08-30-2008, 03:13 AM

Why would he care what surfaces tournaments are played on when he's retired? Not to mention the ATP has no jurisdiction over the Grand Slams.

fast_clay
08-30-2008, 03:14 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah... and there would be Mickey Mouse t... oh... wait up...

we just had that f***ing clown in...

:lol:

fast_clay
08-30-2008, 03:17 AM
Why would he care what surfaces tournaments are played on when he's retired?

after making the necessary changes, i would expect Ivan to step down and come out of retirement for a GS on ice or plastic...

it would prove his best chance...

Tommy_Vercetti
08-30-2008, 03:40 AM
God NO.

What exactly would he do? Complain about everything and make excuses?

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 03:43 AM
Well I would like to see a former player head the ATP. Don't know why Ljubicic is more qualified than anyone else though.

fast_clay
08-30-2008, 03:47 AM
Well I would like to see a former player head the ATP. Don't know why Ljubicic is more qualified than anyone else though.

Jeff Tarango is the vibe I am getting of you right now and I agree mate...

El Legenda
08-30-2008, 03:54 PM

how about for the reasons in the first post.

Nathaliia
08-30-2008, 03:55 PM
As long as he doesn't make his new friend Jeronimo his assistent, I am up for it.

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Jeff Tarango is the vibe I am getting of you right now and I agree mate...
LOL. Can't say I know much about him except that he walked off a match at Wimby once.

how about for the reasons in the first post.
I'm not sure speaking four languages will make him a better decision maker.

El Legenda
08-30-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure speaking four languages will make him a better decision maker.

do you think before you post? speaking 4 languages will help him connect with a wider base of players
he has experince in making decisions, since he was a Players Council President and he is a Player Rep for Europe.

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 05:23 PM
do you think before you post? speaking 4 languages will help him connect with a wider base of players
he has experince in making decisions, since he was a Players Council President and he is a Player Rep for Europe.
So he's good at listening and communicating with players and the ATP. What has that got to do with making decisions? Is the ATP President suppose to be a puppet dancing on strings held by players?

El Legenda
08-30-2008, 06:34 PM
So he's good at listening and communicating with players and the ATP. What has that got to do with making decisions? Is the ATP President suppose to be a puppet dancing on strings held by players?

what was the biggest problem with the Micky Mouse? he didnt listen or communicate with the players. :wavey:
and like i said Ljubicic has experince making decisions since he was the head of players council and now the player rep for Europe.

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 06:40 PM
I think Ljubicic would make a good assistant to the president. He can listen to opinions of players (and maybe fans) and then make good suggestions based on those views. But decision making should be left with someone more authoritative.

DhammaTiger
08-30-2008, 07:38 PM
I voted no.

Scotso
08-30-2008, 08:37 PM
I'd support him. They need a former player as ATP chief.

freeandlonely
08-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Sometimes I hope it's Safin, then things can go crazy.
And Safin can speak many languages, IN STYLE.

safinalium
08-31-2008, 12:11 AM

LOL that was a good one :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know how competent my opinion on the question is but still i voted yes. As much as I don't like Ljubicic as a player, he seems a serious guy, so maybe he will do a good job as ATP boss. And also like Safin likes to say it is ridiculous that a lot of things and rules in tennis are made by people who have never touched a racket in their lives so maybe the experience and the knowledge Ljubicic has would be helpful.

bambelbitz
08-31-2008, 12:37 AM
He's been the Players President
Only active player to be a player rep (Europe)

well liked and respected by all players..

speaks English, Italian, Spanish, Croatian....

yes, no, maybe in 5 years....

I though that Blake always was a player rep. So Ivan wouldn't be the only actibe one. I could be wrong, I'm just asking!

~*BGT*~
08-31-2008, 02:20 AM
Why not? It's not like he's got anything better to do. ;) :p

El Legenda
08-31-2008, 03:25 AM
I though that Blake always was a player rep. So Ivan wouldn't be the only actibe one. I could be wrong, I'm just asking!

yeah you are wrong :) Blake was Ivan's Vice-President on the Players Council for the past 2 seasons, which is different from Player Reps.

Etienne de Villiers is the current Executive Chairman and President of ATP with Mark Young as the CEO of Americas. Andy Anson is the CEO of Europe division while Brad Drewett heads as CEO of the International division.

The ATP Board includes Etienne de Villiers along with tournament representatives, Željko Franulović, Charlie Pasarell and Graham Pearce. It also includes three player representatives with two-year terms, Ivan Ljubicic as the European representative (temporary until election at 2008 US Open), David Edges as the International representative and Justin Gimelstob as the Americas representative. The player representatives are elected by the ATP Player Council.

The 10-member ATP Player Council delivers advisory decisions to the Board of Directors, which has the power to accept or reject the Council's suggestions. The Council consists of four players who are ranked within top 50 in singles (Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and a vacancy), two players who are ranked between 51 and 100 in singles (Peter Luczak and Michael Berrer), two top 100 players in doubles (Yves Allegro and Eric Butorac) and two at-large members (David Martin and Martin Garcia).