USO R2: [3] Djokovic def. Kendrick 7-6(8), 6-4, 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO R2: [3] Djokovic def. Kendrick 7-6(8), 6-4, 6-4

MIMIC
08-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Only 13 UEs from Novak. Shaky first set but pretty solid overall. Novak had 4 set points in the tiebreak, but then Kendrick came back and had 2 of his own. Novak obviously did what was needed to win the set. Still hasn't been broken.

Kendrick was playing too aggresively. He double faulted 7 times and most of those came from blasting the 2nd serve and hoping for the best.

No double faults from Novak.

Voo de Mar
08-29-2008, 10:45 PM
This tie-break reminds me tie-break from Murray-Llodra match. Kendrick like Llodra yesterday had set point on serve and served without any risk, simply normal serve and they paid for it...

HeretiC
08-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Not impressed at all. Too much trouble... Kendrick even had 2 set points in the first set. From the level the top guns showed so far none of them deserves to win this slam. Hope that they will improve in their next matches.

Garson007
08-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Tbh, Roddick will be the biggest challenge; Djokovic hasn't been able to handle good servers at all this year.

MagicMilan
08-29-2008, 10:47 PM
:D
keep cruising :drive:

DhammaTiger
08-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Congratulations to Novak and his fans for the win :hatoff:

~Maya~
08-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Not very happy with his game but hope for better

Congrats Nole

Corey Feldman
08-29-2008, 10:54 PM
His BH is a work of art

the final between him and Murray will be a match to remember

finishingmove
08-29-2008, 10:54 PM
he did what was needed to win.

kendrick was no joke opponent

Herdwick
08-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Again adequate from Nole but not much more although signs of improvements in the 3rd. Kendrick played an excellent first set so credit to him there.

Nole's ankle gave no visible trouble though so that's good.

On the basis of form so far Murray looks like a good bet for the whole thing.

Lee
08-29-2008, 10:59 PM
I am surprised that Kendrick maintained a high level of play even into the 3rd set. But Nole did enough to win the match.

Hopefully he improves as the competition goes on.

scoobs
08-29-2008, 11:20 PM
He did enough but he's not exactly blazing through the draw so far and he still looks flat to me in terms of his court presence and demeanour - not terribly happy, there purposeful, slightly swaggering walk has been replaced a bit by a head-bowed trudge. I don't know what to make of it all, to be honest.

His ankle looks like it was okay though, that's good news.

finishingmove
08-29-2008, 11:30 PM
He did enough but he's not exactly blazing through the draw so far and he still looks flat to me in terms of his court presence and demeanour - not terribly happy, there purposeful, slightly swaggering walk has been replaced a bit by a head-bowed trudge. I don't know what to make of it all, to be honest.

he's ok. he stayed focused and showed he has no intentions of dropping a set. thats a good sign.

he didnt like this match for two reasons; first kendrick is american, second he played pretty good throughout the whole match.

im sure he'd like it better if he got an easier draw, but clement and kendrick were not exactly the easiest 2 opponents. he did just well enough to win in straight sets, in not too much time on court.

Andi-M
08-29-2008, 11:31 PM

He's not a happy bunny. I think the pressure he applies on himself to be the best is detrimental to his game. He's being hunted and he dosent quite like it.

That being said he is still a lock on for the final...so all is not so bad.

scoobs
08-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Well neither of them are exactly highly ranked right now. Clement can be tough but really, Kendrick is a pretty kind R2, lets not overstate things here. Clement is 77 and Kendrick 113 so it's not like he's getting top 40 players.

He's not dropped a set but this is still been a bit harder than I expected and he's not looking like he's enjoying being out there.

Hopefully he'll settle in and get a bit more fired up.

Running:Free
08-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Nole's BP-coversion was great, and the serve was clicking. He'll get better as the rounds go by :shrug: For today, it was enough :yeah:

First set TB was pretty intense, and Kendrick hung in there till the end. Had Nole lost the first set, and/or one of his breaks in the other sets, things could've gone differently.

finishingmove
08-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Kendrick is a pretty kind R2

on paper, but judging by how he played both of his md matches here, i wouldnt say that. and as i said, home court advantage had something to do with it as well.

cilic will probably prove to be an easier opponent

finishingmove
08-29-2008, 11:49 PM
He's not dropped a set but this is still been a bit harder than I expected and he's not looking like he's enjoying being out there.

Hopefully he'll settle in and get a bit more fired up.

he could, but he doesnt want to yet. he is running in 2nd gear right now , thats how he always does because he doesnt want to drain himself mentally.

kendrick was tough, but the fact he didnt win a set is what matters in the end.

->

Had Nole lost the first set, and/or one of his breaks in the other sets, things could've gone differently.

->

nole would've won it in 4 but he would spend too much energy for his liking then, and more importantly it would certainly affect his confidence going into the next match. he'd feel spent.

scoobs
08-29-2008, 11:51 PM
he could, but he doesnt want to yet. he is running in 2nd gear right now , thats how he always does because he doesnt want to drain himself mentally.

kendrick was tough, but the fact he didnt win a set is what matters in the end.
Perhaps - we'll see how it goes. I don't expect Cilic to be an easier opponent though, unless the Croat plays badly.

Garson007
08-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Actually looking at Djoko's draw it's one hell of a draw. :scared:

Vida
08-29-2008, 11:58 PM
turned out to be a good match. i thought kendrick went bust but he's got dangerous game and was on today, especially in the first set. couple of really nice points at the net. novak looked fine, never in doubt.

Running:Free
08-30-2008, 12:00 AM
nole would've won it in 4 but he would spend too much energy for his liking then, and more importantly it would certainly affect his confidence going into the next match. he'd feel spent.

I think Nole would've pulled it out too, but with the difference of being impatient and frustrated. Kendrick could've troubled him, had Nole given even a little bit of space, and he would've needed to work around that, which I frankly don't think he needs/wants in R2.

finishingmove
08-30-2008, 12:03 AM
I think Nole would've pulled it out too, but with the difference of being impatient and frustrated. Kendrick could've troubled him, had Nole given even a little bit of space, and he would've needed to work around that, which I frankly don't think he needs/wants in R2.

exactly why this is a good win, considering how tricky this match was.

MaryX
08-30-2008, 12:09 AM
I think Novak has had much tougher opponents than Rafa and Roger so far, so we can't make comparisons from this point of view.

Kendrick and Djokovic played tough match last year at Queen's Club, so the first set wasn't that surprising for me.

Actually, Novak handled him well considering the way he "likes" big servers.

Rafa = Fed Killa
08-30-2008, 02:44 AM
His BH is a work of art

the final between him and Nadal will be a match to remember

Agreed

Vamos Nole!

star
08-30-2008, 03:02 AM
:bigclap:

I'm so happy for Djokovic!

I just want him to play aggressively and unleash his game. Sometimes he sat back a bit too much in this match, but I'm nitpicking a bit.

Deathless Mortal
08-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Seems like not many people care for Djokovic anymore :lol:

Anyway, did anybody see the weird sliced forehand by Kendrick? :eek: I think it was in the second set, possibly Kendrick saving a break point. He lost that point though.

SheepleBuster
08-30-2008, 12:52 PM
I don't think Cilic will be a bigger challenge than Kendrik. The first challenge will probably be Tsonga and then Roddick it seems at this point.

MaryX
08-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Seems like not many people care for Djokovic anymore

Yes, but they care for Cilic very much :p

Bernard Black
08-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Funny to see all the Djokovic fans bagging him in this thread! A tie-break and two comfortable sets with a break against the home player is a solid effort, plenty of court time without over-exertion and he doesn't want to peak too early.

MaryX
08-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Funny to see all the Djokovic fans bagging him in this thread! A tie-break and two comfortable sets with a break against the home player is a solid effort, plenty of court time without over-exertion and he doesn't want to peak too early.

He will have to do it for Tsonga, but you are right.

Bernard Black
08-30-2008, 01:05 PM
He will have to do it for Tsonga, but you are right.

Just seems like some people aren't happy unless the top-3 produce WTA scorelines in all their early matches. Men's tennis would be terrible if things were that simple.

Deathless Mortal
08-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Yes, but they care for Cilic very much :p

When on MTF a grand slam winner gets 2 or barely 3 pages with a lot of people posting a few posts, then you know something is wrong. For Cilic it's not so weird, his time is yet to come :angel:

MaryX
08-30-2008, 01:18 PM
When on MTF a grand slam winner gets 2 or barely 3 pages with a lot of people posting a few posts, then you know something is wrong. For Cilic it's not so weird, his time is yet to come

Well, Tsonga is in town, what would you expect?

I like Marin, but I don't think Novak time has passed (or you find the voice and current interest of MTF relevant?).

Just seems like some people aren't happy unless the top-3 produce WTA scorelines in all their early matches. Men's tennis would be terrible if things were that simple.

Well, they were terrible when people went for matches with Fed as they are going to be executed.

Deathless Mortal
08-30-2008, 01:21 PM
One Serb immediately sent me a PM complaining about what I wrote in this thread :haha: :haha:

MaryX
08-30-2008, 01:23 PM
I must say it wasn't me-I said that publicly :D .

And why do we have to know about your private correspondence?

Deathless Mortal
08-30-2008, 01:27 PM
You don't but it's funny. I didn't say anything bad, I was just amazed with how many replies this thread got :shrug:

Bilbo
08-30-2008, 01:32 PM
looking good for rafa :yeah:

MaryX
08-30-2008, 01:38 PM
You don't but it's funny. I didn't say anything bad, I was just amazed with how many replies this thread got

I know what you ment, it's ok.But, we (you know who are we :) ) can't stop teasing each other, can we ;) ?

looking good for rafa

Why?Does Rafa look good :shrug: ?

Bilbo
08-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Why?Does Rafa look good :shrug: ?

i like how many of you get fooled by his performance of the first two rounds

MaryX
08-30-2008, 01:49 PM
i like how many of you get fooled by his performance of the first two rounds

I like how we tend to turn real people into mythology creatures.

vucina
08-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Seems like not many people care for Djokovic anymore :lol:

Anyway, did anybody see the weird sliced forehand by Kendrick? :eek: I think it was in the second set, possibly Kendrick saving a break point. He lost that point though.

It was an usual boring 2. round for Novak. What's there to write about? Third round will probably be boring also.

Bilbo
08-30-2008, 01:53 PM
I like how we tend to turn real people into mythology creatures.

i like how many people doubt rafa as soon as he had one or two not so good matches. the more these people will be surprised when he wins at the end which i'm still convinced about.

MaryX
08-30-2008, 01:55 PM
the more these people will be surprised when he wins at the end which i'm still convinced about.

Interesting, I won't be surprised.But not that I am convinced as you are.