Federer d. Alves 6-3 7-5 6-4

scarecrows
08-29-2008, 09:02 PM
embarrassing performance especially at the net
BH is nonexistent, forehand keeps getting worse

good fight from Alves

MIMIC
08-29-2008, 09:08 PM
That was not good. And he was broken by another nobody.

Albop
08-29-2008, 09:08 PM
MTF-Like performance.

HeretiC
08-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Maybe he is just jerking around because of the weak opposition? If plays like this against top players he might eat triple bagel.:shrug:
And Alves didn't played that good at all. It was Federer who made him look good.

Sunset of Age
08-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Overall a piss poor performance from Roger. Some seconds of brilliance, but moreover, tons of UEs (netballs, balls wide, balls long, you name it, all of it was there - ErrorFest complete!), lackluster movement, all-in-all plain horrible. If Roger continues to play like this, he's TOAST in the next round. And I don't even want to think of him meeting Djokovic or - in case all Gods in Heaven smile on him during the rest of his run - Nadal. :help:

Great fight by Alves, though, especially in that second set. Gave his all. Funny grunt btw, he sounds as if he's getting spanked at each and every point he plays. :lol: :yeah:

In all, Alves' playing level surely didn't match his ranking position. Same went for his opponent, but in a slightly different direction. :angel:

BigJohn
08-29-2008, 09:19 PM
A win in straight sets anyway... Still a lot better than a win in 4, a win in 5 or worse.

Scotso
08-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Does anyone else find it really sad that Roger Federer, whose life revolves around the tennis tour, has "never heard of" Alves? Someone that actually plays on the tour should have at least as much knowledge of the other places as the average MTF poster. :help:

If Federer manages to play like this and still win the title, I'm going to be very bitter. :p

q.j.
08-29-2008, 09:27 PM
first post says it all

he had a couple of such a shameful UFs especially in second set, when he had one or two break points, unwatchable...

let's see if he steps it up :cat:

Warrior
08-29-2008, 09:29 PM
His serve may carry him to semifinals. But after that he's a toast!

Garson007
08-29-2008, 09:34 PM
first post says it all

he had a couple of such a shameful UFs especially in second set, when he had one or two break points, unwatchable...

let's see if he steps it up :cat:
Speaking of Steps, this Federer should be no challenge for him.

~Maya~
08-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Awful stuff from Federer. I have a feeling that Stepanek is going to beat him

dam0dred
08-29-2008, 09:38 PM
The more I see him play the more I'm convinced it's all over.

Oh Roger. :sad:

JoshDragon
08-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Roger won't be beating Nadal or Djokovic again if he continues to play like this.

q.j.
08-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Speaking of Steps, this Federer should be no challenge for him.

exactly, if he performs like today, Sexy will do what he does to all the other WTA players :), perform le worm on Fed thus making him his newly crowned bitch (two wins in a row, after all)

but if Mirka has any saying in it, he'll have to step it up :help:

Fedex
08-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Awful performance by Federer, especially on break points. The only thing he did consistently well the whole match was serve. He's definitely going to need to raise his level of play for his next match and the following matches.

Give credit to Alves though. He really battled out there and didn't go away at all. I was impressed with the kid.

Foxy
08-29-2008, 09:54 PM
It is funny. In early 2007 when the unexpected losses and shitty play started I thought he was doing it deliberately for some unknown reasons probably connected with the french open then (getting more rest or feeding with false confidence the oppostion). I even thought he was toying with opponents missing deliberately easy putaways getting more match play etc. But now looking back and watching his current matches I stand corrected I was all wrong.

Deivid23
08-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Excellent win for the #2

Jelena
08-29-2008, 10:14 PM
I didn't see it all, but what I saw was not the Federer I know. He made so many errors I'm not used to see of Fed. Sometimes he made it too easy for Alves to win points. But also Alves was fighting great. I hope to see Alves in ATP-tournaments soon.

biological
08-29-2008, 10:18 PM
I didn't think it was so bad - lots of UEs but some brilliant shots as well. I agree he needs to step it up a bit but I'm fairly confident for him.
On a side note, his hair is looking even shinier lately.

Daniel
08-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Well done Roger :)

PiggyGotRoasted
08-29-2008, 10:40 PM
I didn't think it was so bad - lots of UEs but some brilliant shots as well. I agree he needs to step it up a bit but I'm fairly confident for him.
On a side note, his hair is looking even shinier lately.

its the herbal essances

vmbf
08-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Thiago Alves is a warrior. In 2006, he was Top100, defeated Mariano Zabaleta in US Open First Round, but lost to Fernando Verdasco in Second Round. Last year, was horrible to him. At the end of last year, he was out of Top300 at ATP Rank. This year, he changed his coach, that now is the same of the young Brazilian Ricardo Hocevar. Alves got the final in Segovia, some weeks ago (defeated 3 or 4 Top100 at this tournament) and won the Sao Paulo CH at the Week 1, that is played in his city. Now he have no sponsors and the Brazilian Federation that is helping him. I just hope now he get some sponsors and come back to the Top100.

And congratulations to Roger Federer, because this is his 600th victory. :worship:

Andi-M
08-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Does anyone else find it really sad that Roger Federer, whose life revolves around the tennis tour, has "never heard of" Alves? Someone that actually plays on the tour should have at least as much knowledge of the other places as the average MTF poster. :help:

If Federer manages to play like this and still win the title, I'm going to be very bitter. :p

Very poor.

Murray probably knows every player in the top 1000. Thats what you call a true student of the game.

Corey Feldman
08-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Horrible to watch that

his shots are so piss poor weak now that i cant believe my eyes... where did his power go?

and sure enough, he looks miserable on court again

defeat is definetely coming in one of the next two rounds

Corey Feldman
08-29-2008, 11:18 PM

Fed is professional tennis player who trains and plays every week

he's not some fanboy who knows a 'no name' player because he finds him cute, like some

habibko
08-29-2008, 11:36 PM
well after the UF-feast in the Blake match nothing surprises me in this field, but a straight sets win is all that counts, for now.

I can and I think we all will get a clearer image when he plays Sexy (of course he has to win Guccione first, which he should) who is NEVER an easy player to dispatch.

it's not like Fed is used to serve triple bagels to no names, not even in his peak years.

choppaa
08-29-2008, 11:55 PM
I've never seen Fed missing that many easy volleys. Not that I care for him, but this is not good at all for him.

Fedex
08-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Horrible to watch that

his shots are so piss poor weak now that i cant believe my eyes... where did his power go?

and sure enough, he looks miserable on court again

defeat is definetely coming in one of the next two rounds

He was far from great out there, but who is going to beat him in the next couple rounds? Stepanek? Verdasco? :lol: The way he's currently playing is definitely not good enough to win the tournament, but I expect him to get much better.

MIMIC
08-29-2008, 11:58 PM
46 UEs :o

Xoman
08-29-2008, 11:59 PM
I saw the match on Eurosport. Federer committed lots of unforced errors >40. Federer better raise his game "pronto" or he is not going to go far in this tournament.

dj_mercury
08-30-2008, 12:07 AM
The positive from this match is that he can only improve his game for the coming ones... He was playing like he wanted to be somewhere else. He was moving like a zombie and his net approaches were horrorific, furthermore when the exchanges were getting longer he was trying all sort of weird stuff to cut the points. I don't want to talk about serve answers and the backhand because they were maybe even worse. Better that he takes a break till the end of the year if he is eliminated before the semifinals, very likely if he keeps playing like this, as I don't see any reasons to keep getting hammerred for the whole year by players he is used to beat comfortably when he definetely doesn't look mentally and physically in the right shape.

Corey Feldman
08-30-2008, 12:08 AM
He was far from great out there, but who is going to beat him in the next couple rounds? Stepanek? Verdasco? :lol: The way he's currently playing is definitely not good enough to win the tournament, but I expect him to get much better.His performances on HC tournaments this year shows he gets worse with each round

his volleying today was embaressing... just netting everything

Corey Feldman
08-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Roger Federror

RagingLamb
08-30-2008, 12:13 AM
terrible match to watch

finishingmove
08-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Roger Federror

now, how come nobody ever thought of that before? :lol:

this alves is a good fighter and a solid grunter, but doesnt really have the weapons to take fed down.

expected straight sets win...

Acer
08-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Haha aww poor Roger

Xoman
08-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Roger Federror

:haha:

Bernard Black
08-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Got the job done. Federer will need to raise his level in the next round though, can't see him getting through that in straight sets.

MIMIC
08-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Roger Federror

:spit:

scoobs
08-30-2008, 12:43 AM
Roger Federror
Can't believe that's only just been spotted - good catch :lol:

Umm...yeah...he won in 3 sets...he served well...

I don't like his chances unless he improves though. We could have his earliest loss since French Open 2004 at this rate.

Gnomey
08-30-2008, 12:51 AM
What? You guys have only just noticed 'Federror'?

scoobs
08-30-2008, 12:55 AM
What? You guys have only just noticed 'Federror'?
Can honestly say there's been a lot of Federer nicknames on MTF but I think that's the first time I've seen "Federror"

Which is unbelievable.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2008, 01:25 AM
Upset alert.

What a choke from Alves.

LinkMage
08-30-2008, 01:46 AM
Glad I couldn't watch this match from what everyone is saying about it. Looks like Fedmug is peaking for another embarrassing defeat. :o

ChinoRios4Ever
08-30-2008, 01:48 AM
1st time i see playing Alves this way.

The only time i saw him playing was vs Gonzo in Viña last year, but that was a beatdown from AO Gonzo.

Still Frauderer is faaaaaaaaaaar of his best tennis, Sexy can beat him in next round.

Warrior
08-30-2008, 01:52 AM
now, how come nobody ever thought of that before? :lol:

this alves is a good fighter and a solid grunter, but doesnt really have the weapons to take fed down.

expected straight sets win...

I thought it was pretty obvious. I actually posted that the final of Olympics was more like Federror/WoWrinka.

Rumour
08-30-2008, 02:25 AM
While I thought some criticism of Fed's first round performance was a bit OTT, this time it is well justified because what I saw - especially in the middle set - was a top player still needing :help: from lesser and no-name opponents to beat them, rather than doing it mostly on his own merit :o

Gnomey
08-30-2008, 03:03 AM
I thought it was pretty obvious. I actually posted that the final of Olympics was more like Federror/WoWrinka.

Yea, I remembered someone here mentioning it. So it was you.

Forehander
08-30-2008, 03:23 AM
gotta say this is a pretty horrendous match as everybody else says.

Rafa = Fed Killa
08-30-2008, 03:42 AM
Congrats Ego King. Another crappy win over another mug.

Hopefully Stefanek can man up the next round.

selyoink
08-30-2008, 05:46 AM
When will the announcers stop acting surprised when Fed misses easy forehands? Don't they realize he has been doing this all year and a lot last year as well? Even last year he was approaching all serve status.

the biscuit
08-30-2008, 07:18 AM

I watched the match and every other minute, the not-so eloquent commentator cried out:

"Ow, ow, Roger, my boy, what are you doing now?"

:shrug:

And what WAS he doing? The guy can't seem to keep his balls in; or get them over the net for that matter.

He keeps sliding downwards.

leng jai
08-30-2008, 07:22 AM
Worst straight sets victory ever.

Tommy fan
08-30-2008, 07:33 AM
A win is a wi I guess

Alves's grunt are soooo annoying

bokehlicious
08-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Can honestly say there's been a lot of Federer nicknames on MTF but I think that's the first time I've seen "Federror"

Which is unbelievable.

I called Fedmug "Federror" on here last year :o :)

EDIT http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=5594406&postcount=181

Nidhogg
08-30-2008, 08:52 AM
I feel like blaming Higueras for fucking up Rog's groundstrokes completely. And the net play today, gosh, I felt like ripping my eyes out. The only thing working is the serve.

Venle
08-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Rog played horribly :o

Snoo Foo
08-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Thiagoooooooooo don't leave me!

:bigcry:

Maybe next year. Or the Bronx. :yeah:

Foxy
08-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Yeap, I also notice it for the first time this Federror. But I found another one some months ago. Farterer...

GinaPL
08-30-2008, 10:13 AM
if someone else is playing awful and still manage to close game in straight sets then most of people say that is a real talent to do so. And if Fed doeas that it is "Worst straight sets victory ever." ;) I mean come on... It could have been worse. straight sets are straight sets.

but i have to admit, some actions close to the net, some volleys were simply embarrassing...

mikkemus23
08-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Horrible. Like watching an overweight Elvis mid-70 - you feel for him, you know he`s struggling and that he is not the same old.
Arrrrrgh!

bambelbitz
08-30-2008, 11:25 AM
At least it was enough to beat a nobody in straight sets!! He will have to improve, though!

RIboy
08-30-2008, 11:57 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:ROGER :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: