Viktor Troicki d Philipp Kohlscreiber 2-6 6-3 6-4 3-0 ret [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Viktor Troicki d Philipp Kohlscreiber 2-6 6-3 6-4 3-0 ret

Lee
08-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Third retirement on the men side today.

HeretiC
08-29-2008, 12:49 AM
Enjoyable to watch, clean power shots from both players of both wings. Kohli looked frustrated in the 3rd and 4th set after medical timeout. He was getting more and more impatient but Viktor stayed cool headed and took advantage of the situation. If he plays like he does recently he will give Rafa solid run for his money.

JMG
08-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Another weak match from Kohlschreiber. Not long ago someone called him one of the mentally toughest players outside the top 20. I think it was Voo de Mar.

savesthedizzle
08-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Enjoyable to watch, clean power shots from both players of both wings. Kohli looked frustrated in the 3rd and 4th set after medical timeout. He was getting more and more impatient but Viktor stayed cool headed and took advantage of the situation. If he plays like he does recently he will give Rafa solid run for his money.

:yeah: Thanks for a little bit of info on the match, from the scoreboard it's always hard to know how things are really going.

Hopefully he can be a little more challenging this time than last :D All I'm hoping for is that he gives Rafa a good fight :D

Running:Free
08-29-2008, 01:01 AM
Was it the shoulder for PEHK? :awww: Hope he's ok :hug:

Viktor :yeah:

savesthedizzle
08-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Was it the shoulder for PEHK? :awww: Hope he's ok :hug:

Viktor :yeah:

From what I've heard, yes it was :awww:

Voo de Mar
08-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Another weak match from Kohlschreiber. Not long ago someone called him one of the mentally toughest players outside the top 20. I think it was Voo de Mar.

Exactly. I uphold this opinion.

SheepleBuster
08-29-2008, 01:15 AM

Nope. Not going to happen. Nadal will win in straight sets. Nadal plays up to the level of the competition really. If you play great, Nadal plays greater. If you play out of this world, Nadal still finds a way to beat you silly. Only Novak and David can even touch Nadal (and beating Nadal still will be a stretch).

Acer
08-29-2008, 01:18 AM
Hmmm Kohlschreiber...
anyway yay for Troicki

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2008, 01:30 AM

It's way wrong, though.

Kohlschreiber is one of the weakest-minded nutcases of the ATP tour.

finishingmove
08-29-2008, 01:38 AM
good for troicki.

Voo de Mar
08-29-2008, 02:20 AM
It's way wrong, though.

Kohlschreiber is one of the weakest-minded nutcases of the ATP tour.

So who isn't in your opinion?

I base my opinion on scorelines from his matches, Kohli has played 99 ATP tournaments and hasn't lost a match wasting match point (has won 4 matches saving match points) - great achievement comparing to other players. I know his results from Challengers and Futures very well, it's tough to say that he had been choking there. The guy won fifth sets: 17-15 at Roland Garros (the longest 5th set in Paris in terms of games in history) and 8-6 in Melbourne (against experienced Roddick who saved there a few match points with aces what would have been very frustraiting and leads to Kohli's loss). Has won a few times 7-6 7-6 matches including (14-12, 8-6) over Sexy :p Won a set against Starace from 1:5 down.
The only scar in his mental department so far is this year's 4th round in Melbourne where he wasted 11 setpoints against Nieminen, nota bene very strong mentally player as well.

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2008, 02:35 AM
So who isn't in your opinion?

I base my opinion on scorelines from his matches, Kohli has played 99 ATP tournaments and hasn't lost a match wasting match point (has won 4 matches saving match points) - great achievement comparing to other players. I know his results from Challengers and Futures very well, it's tough to say that he had been choking there. The guy won fifth sets: 17-15 at Roland Garros (the longest 5th set in Paris in terms of games) and 8-6 in Melbourne (against experienced Roddick who saved there a few match points with aces what would have been very frustraiting and leads to Kohli's loss). Has won a few times 7-6 7-6 matches including (14-12, 8-6) over Sexy :p Won a set against Starace from 1:5 down.
The only scare in his mental department so far is this year's 4th round in Melbourne where he wasted 11 setpoints against Nieminen, nota bene very strong mentally player as well.

This is the guy who can't string two wins in a row.

Remember the AO? Beat Roddick and then lost to Nieminen after wasting an infinite number of chances...

Can't win any match being the favorite.

Lost to Kudryavtsev, Bolelli, Zverev this year, always as the favorite.

Last year lost to Calleri in Metz. :o Hrbaty in Montreal... Serra in Wimbledon. That's not being mentally strong.

leng jai
08-29-2008, 02:47 AM
:yeah: Thanks for a little bit of info on the match, from the scoreboard it's always hard to know how things are really going.

Hopefully he can be a little more challenging this time than last :D All I'm hoping for is that he gives Rafa a good fight :D

Everytime Troicki wins the first thought that comes to my mind is "Well Troickitard will be pleased" :p

savesthedizzle
08-29-2008, 02:48 AM
Everytime Troicki wins the first thought that comes to my mind is "Well Troickitard will be pleased" :p

:rolls:

NinaNina19
08-29-2008, 04:25 AM
Haha same here.

HoistDaColors
08-29-2008, 04:45 AM
This is the guy who can't string two wins in a row.

Remember the AO? Beat Roddick and then lost to Nieminen after wasting an infinite number of chances...

Can't win any match being the favorite.

Lost to Kudryavtsev, Bolelli, Zverev this year, always as the favorite.

Last year lost to Calleri in Metz. :o Hrbaty in Montreal... Serra in Wimbledon. That's not being mentally strong.

I thought mentally weak means he chokes up in tight situations. can't win 2 games in a row is inconsistent and unfocus. :shrug:

tnosugar
08-29-2008, 11:02 AM
He has one of the weirdest serves on tour, with that initial stance and forward movement. Reminds me of someone in the past, but can't place it.
The serve motion always pushes in court a little, so if you manage to return deep, you can get him in trouble. But then, it's hard to return his serve that deep with precision.
If he could work on his net play, well, he could maintain a top 50 spot. Nice to see a third Serb with a firm foothold in the top 100.

FairWeatherFan
08-29-2008, 11:36 AM

Kohlschreiber is similar to Berdych in that they both have great records in tough situations, but very questionable losses logically lead others to question their mental strength. It's a shame because Kohlschreiber really has a beautiful game to watch.

Obviously this loss doesn't count though because he was injured.

Can't say I enjoy watching Troicki's technically-weird game, but well done to him.

HoistDaColors
08-29-2008, 11:00 PM
He has one of the weirdest serves on tour, with that initial stance and forward movement. Reminds me of someone in the past, but can't place it.
The serve motion always pushes in court a little, so if you manage to return deep, you can get him in trouble. But then, it's hard to return his serve that deep with precision.
If he could work on his net play, well, he could maintain a top 50 spot. Nice to see a third Serb with a firm foothold in the top 100.

He had worked very hard on his serve before the beginning of the season. That's how he won auckland and beat roddick (~32 aces). I haven't watched him for awhile but from looking at his post game stats, he doesn't get enough first serves in. He's also a very successful doubles player. I think he has very good volleying techniques and isn't afraid to go up to the net.