Murray def. Llodra 6-4 1-6 7-5 7-6 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray def. Llodra 6-4 1-6 7-5 7-6

the biscuit
08-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Andy didn't play really well but got the job done.

That 2nd serve makes me very sad though. :sad:

scarecrows
08-28-2008, 08:59 PM
worst TB of the year? I think yes

Llodra such a choker on big points, usually he isnt such :confused:

l_mac
08-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Poor.

But a win is a win :rocker2:

Smoke944
Llodra displaying the classic clutch play :yeah: :help:

Clydey
Murray's second serve was awful. He played well in patches, but Llodra was red lining. Tough to deal with someone who is serving and volleying like Sampras. Llodra had 83% of first serves in at one point. Luckily Murray won't have someone that awkward to deal with again this fortnight.

pkubik
llodra has no balls, expected...

Jōris
What was Llodra thinking attempting a dropshot 6-6 in the tiebreak. What a waster.

Well done to Murray though.

Corey Feldman
08-28-2008, 09:01 PM
5 more to go Champ

Sunset of Age
Congrats, Muzza! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Looked like he indeed got mentally stronger to me. But he'll have to level it up to make any real chances at the USO. Anyway, a win = a win. :D

scarecrows
Tough to deal with someone who is serving and volleying like Sampras.

:lol: funny considering the point that gave Murray the MP

scoobs
Tough match - 3rd and 4th sets fairly high quality but Llodra choked at the end of both - broke down to be lose the third set. He had a set point and stayed back, dumped an easy shot into the net, and then netted a sitter forehand volley to hand Andy the decisive advantage.

But overall not a bad match - both had a lot more winners than UEs and there were some very entertaining exchanges out there, as well as some pure crap and some pusher tennis from Murray - losing a set 6-1 is all about him letting Llodra do whatever he likes out there.

Andy is a bit lucky - no, a lot lucky - to get out of that in 4. He should have been dragged to 5.

Also, Andy's attitude out there not the best.

C'mon audible after a first serve fault from Llodra - naughty - and multiple arguments with Bernardes over linecalls - shouty shouty though not so much sweary sweary.

He needs to rein that back in.

Rafalover15
Oh praise the lord He final won

Good lad:yeah:

FedererGrandSlam
What a choke.

jonathancrane
08-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Llodra: 62 winners / 97 net approaches :worship:

Brave men don't moonball

Bernard Black
13 unforced errors in 4 sets :worship:

Murray was way too passive in the second set, but apart from that did enough to get the job done. Hope to see more aggression from him for the rest of the tournament, but to be fair, Llodra is an awkward opponent at the best of times, so he did well here. A win's a win, and I hope he can go far here.

Clydey
:lol: funny considering the point that gave Murray the MP

Yeah, I don't men he's as mentally strong as Sampras. I exaggerated slightly, but Llodra played fantastic.

Lullaby
08-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Some great tennis at times, almost old school tennis out there

Andy - fix the 2nd serve and you have a chance here lad

MIMIC
08-28-2008, 09:03 PM
That was a massive, epic choke to give Murray MP

green25814
08-28-2008, 09:04 PM
llodra's tactics and s/v play was AMAZING. Did not expect that at all :eek:

Bernard Black
as well as some pure crap and some pusher tennis from Murray - losing a set 6-1 is all about him letting Llodra do whatever he likes out there.

Exactly, when will he learn? He has the ability to win this tournament if he can keep his head together and not retreat into passive mode. It's frustrating to witness as a fan!

scoobs
llodra's tactics and s/v play was AMAZING. Did not expect that at all :eek:
Why - he does s/v an awful lot in all his matches and he does it well.

l_mac
Murray's second serve was awful. He played well in patches, but Llodra was red lining. Tough to deal with someone who is serving and volleying like Sampras. Llodra had 83% of first serves in at one point. Luckily Murray won't have someone that awkward to deal with again this fortnight.

:lol:

Corey Feldman
someone give scarecrows a hanky

:lol:

Clydey
08-28-2008, 09:05 PM
13 unforced errors in 4 sets :worship:

Murray was way too passive in the second set, but apart from that did enough to get the job done. Hope to see more aggression from him for the rest of the tournament, but to be fair, Llodra is an awkward opponent at the best of times, so he did well here. A win's a win, and I hope he can go far here.

I think he just did what he had to do. You can't be aggressive against someone who is approaching the net constantly. Unless Murray started serving and volleying to take the net away, Llodra was always going to be the aggressor.

I think he'll be relieved to be facing a player like Melzer now.

Andi-M
08-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Llodra: 62 winners / 97 net approaches :worship:

Brave men don't moonball

They dont win either.

Murray pretty passive at times pretty decent at times pretty outstanding at other times. Was a very tough awkward oppanent, so in the end good job to get in done in 4. At least he's warmed up now.

JoshDragon
08-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Should have stopped him Llodra. That would have been one less big player for Nadal and Federer to worry about.

scoobs
08-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I think he just did what he had to do. You can't be aggressive against someone who is approaching the net constantly. Unless Murray started serving and volleying to take the net away, Llodra was always going to be the aggressor.

You can - Murray can hit deeper to pin the guy back, he can serve better off the second serve so Llodra can't chip charge, and you can take the net yourself, as Andy did increasingly in sets 3 and 4.

In the first two sets, Andy let Llodra have the play all his own way. In set 1 Llodra was missing a lot, in set 2 the difference was, Llodra stopped beating himself.

Voo de Mar
08-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Lllodra played surprisingly good match but his stupid decisions in the tie-break... :sad:

green25814
08-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Why - he does s/v an awful lot in all his matches and he does it well.

I havent seen llodra play much, i maybe overexaggerating him due to rarely ever seeing capable players at the net :p

Bernard Black
08-28-2008, 09:09 PM

Yes, the easy draw unfolds from here. Glad he managed to get through this. Murray always gets the job done against serve-vollyers but there were a few worrying moments today, it was really looking awful in that second set. Like I said though, a win's a win, and hopefully things will be more straightforward from here until the quarter-final.

scoobs
I havent seen llodra play much, i maybe overexaggerating him due to rarely ever seeing capable players at the net :p
Oh - fair enough. Yeah Llodra is a bit of an old school leftie and when he does it well, it's great to watch and very tough to deal with, as Andy discovered today.

Corey Feldman
as far as net play goes - Llodra is no Timmy Henman

Lullaby
llodra looked exhausted at the end - no way he was lasting the 5th set

good for andy that he didnt have to play that extra set - pull out of doubles now please!

Clydey
08-28-2008, 09:10 PM
You can - Murray can hit deeper to pin the guy back, he can serve better off the second serve so Llodra can't chip charge, and you can take the net yourself, as Andy did increasingly in sets 3 and 4.

In the first two sets, Andy let Llodra have the play all his own way. In set 1 Llodra was missing a lot, in set 2 the difference was, Llodra stopped beating himself.

I already mentioned the second serve. And I disagree. If someone is approaching off of almost every shot and is approaching off of every second serve, you can't be the aggressor. Personally, I think Murray should have thrown in a bit of s&v like he does against Karlovic. Other than that, he played his usual game. You'd think Llodra would be made for Murray, but Llodra played well and Murray made it hard for himself with those second serves.

Lullaby
08-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Yes, the easy draw unfolds from here. Glad he managed to get through this. Murray always gets the job done against serve-vollyers but there were a few worrying moments today, it was really looking awful in that second set. Like I said though, a win's a win, and hopefully things will be more straightforward from here until the quarter-final.

If he beats melzer, warwinka will not be straightforward I would not think, he should win but it will be tight

Andi-M
08-28-2008, 09:13 PM
llodra looked exhausted at the end - no way he was lasting the 5th set

good for andy that he didnt have to play that extra set - pull out of doubles now please!

Exactly its not the 1980's a top 5 player shouldnt play GS doubles.

scoobs
08-28-2008, 09:14 PM
I already mentioned the second serve. And I disagree. If someone is approaching off of almost every shot and is approaching off of every second serve, you can't be the aggressor. Personally, I think Murray should have thrown in a bit of s&v like he does against Karlovic. Other than that, he played his usual game. You'd think Llodra would be made for Murray, but Llodra played well and Murray made it hard for himself with those second serves.
I disagree - you can beat them to it - you can get in first - as he did more and more at the back end of the match.

But if you will hang back you have to pass better than Andy did for a lot of the match - a lot of the time he was being pulled around, and the passing attempts weren't troubling Llodra at the net.

Bernard Black
08-28-2008, 09:15 PM
If he beats melzer, warwinka will not be straightforward I would not think, he should win but it will be tight

Good call, they've had close matches in the past.

selyoink
08-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Amazingly bad tiebreak from Llodra. Too bad he couldn't knock the pusher out. Murray will need to be more aggressive if he wants to do anything in this tournament.

Bernard Black
08-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Amazingly bad tiebreak from Llodra. Too bad he couldn't knock the pusher out. Murray will need to be more aggressive if he wants to do anything in this tournament.

You didn't call either of them mugs?! I'm disappointed! :p

Corey Feldman
08-28-2008, 09:17 PM
pusher for the title :rocker2:

Andi-M
08-28-2008, 09:18 PM
pusher for the title :rocker2:

I didnt realise you were a fan of Simon :p

madmax
08-28-2008, 09:19 PM
It was really refreshing to see serve and volleyer playing and actually doing well...I felt like I was catapulted back to ol' good 90's, when the players like Krajicek and Rafter were masters at that. Llodra just wasn't consistent enough to beat the baseliner, too many UEs

jonathancrane
08-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Murray can play a lot better. His matches against Karlovic and Djoko in Cincy were great. Today in parts of the match he dissappeared. After a bad call he lost the temper badly a couple of times. He needs to calm down and be concentrated at tough moments, as he did in Cincy. Those rows with Bernardes were absurd

decrepitude
08-28-2008, 09:35 PM
I seem to remember him having disagreements with Bernardes before.

This was on Grandstand, wasn't it? So no Hawkeye, I suppose.

Schu
08-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Also, Andy's attitude out there not the best.

C'mon audible after a first serve fault from Llodra - naughty - and multiple arguments with Bernardes over linecalls - shouty shouty though not so much sweary sweary.

He needs to rein that back in.

Master of understatement are you?

Everytime I checked the live stream from my office computer all I saw was a "shouty, shouty" yelly, yelly Andy. Damn how I wish Llodra could have played the big points a little better - I really would have loved to see Andy "shouty, shouty" off the court in defeat.

Not so pretty but a win is a win which is more than I can say for a few of my favs who are already gone.

Lullaby
08-28-2008, 09:39 PM
i dont get after why after the success he had in cinci staying calm when rattled and under pressure he has gone back to losing his temper again - fix this as well as the 2nd serve please

scoobs
08-28-2008, 09:42 PM
i dont get after why after the success he had in cinci staying calm when rattled and under pressure he has gone back to losing his temper again - fix this as well as the 2nd serve please
I agree - I suspect he's feeling under a bit more self-imposed pressure to deliver out there and so he's on a shorter fuse.

Whatever - he needs to stop it - with the attitude towards the umpires and the shouting at himself - it's hardly been evident in the last few months and this is when he's had his best results - coincidence?

And really - I wish they'd stick him on a Hawkeye court so he can waste his challenges and get on with the match. It think he had some bad calls out there but if he wants to call lines he should retrain, or leave it to them and focus on playing the points.

yeh yeh
08-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Some of the calls were shocking for both players and that combined with all those net chord turned into drop shot winners lodra had made murray go mad. I read somewhere that llodra was gonna try make murray mad and los his temper well he did that. Murray too passive and wasn't passing like he usually does mind you llodra is probably one of the best at the net in the world unreal reflexes............

no more passive equals at least a semi final

scoobs
08-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Master of understatement are you?

Everytime I checked the live stream from my office computer all I saw was a "shouty, shouty" yelly, yelly Andy. Damn how I wish Llodra could have played the big points a little better - I really would have loved to see Andy "shouty, shouty" off the court in defeat.

Not so pretty but a win is a win which is more than I can say for a few of my favs who are already gone.
He wasn't like that all the match but he did go through some grumpy patches and it's not smart for him.

jonathancrane
08-28-2008, 09:43 PM
This was on Grandstand, wasn't it? So no Hawkeye, I suppose.

Yes, no hawkeye

Clydey
08-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I think we watched the wrong match. According to this, Llodra pulled off the upset and won in 4 sets.

http://www.kxmc.com/Sports/269645.asp

And it isn't even a typing error. They flatout say that Llodra pulled off the upset :D

scoobs
08-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Oh well - that's a bad loss for Andy then :)

HeretiC
08-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Llodra should have taken this into fifth. Some gutsy play at the moments and some idiotic chokes at moments from him. But that is tennis, someone gets lucky, someone gets miserable and beats himself. However, Andy's draw is pure joy for reaching SF, I don't think he will got easier path on any slam ever again, he shouldn't miss this chance.

Andi-M
08-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Q. If there had been a challenge system on that call, could you have proven the world record?

ANDY MURRAY: I think it was just one part of the court that lines judge was struggling with pretty badly was on the ‑‑ from the umpire's chair to the umpire's left. On the far line, you know, there was good five, six calls that every single one I think was ‑‑ I mean, there was like four or five that were for sure, and then there was a couple that ‑‑ there was one second serve that he hit that was so far out.

I mean, it was like this, way out. Didn't get called. So, yeah, you realize how much it helps. You know, when you play on the courts without the challenges now, you know, sort of 90% of the matches I played this year have had the challenge system.

Q. Tricky match for you?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, it's always going to be tough. He's got a huge serve obviously making it ‑‑ being a lefty makes it tougher. You know, he's won doubles Slams before; won two tournaments at the start of this year.

You know, we will give anyone a tough match. Very rarely will he lose easily. He moves really good up at the net, doesn't give you a lot of rhythm, and he's ‑‑ I think probably he's definitely in the top two or three net players for right now.

There's very few guys that play that well up at the net. And he moves well up there, too. It was a tough match.

Q. Is it hard because there are not many players who attack the net as much as he does, chips and charges on second serves so much?

ANDY MURRAY: No, you know, I don't mind playing against guys that come to the net a lot, because he serves so well. That's what makes it tough. You know, when you find it hard to break someone and they're coming in all the time against you, then it makes it tricky.

But I mean, I started to return well toward the end of the third set. Obviously broke him twice in the fourth. That was the difference compared with the first three sets, even though I won the set. Apart form the game where I broke him, I won very few points on his serve. Same again in the second set, so it was really tricky.

Q. Did you come out of that thinking that's a job well done, or do you come out that thinking you're going t have to raise your levels?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I was very happy with the match. I thought I hit the ball from the back of the court very well. I didn't feel like I was making many mistakes from the baseline. Not too many unforced errors.

You know, for a huge part of the match, very tricky for me to serve from the end where the tough calls were. The sun is right in your eyes around that time. So, you know, he's a really tough guy to play against, and I was happy I won in four sets.

Q. What do you think about your next opponent, Melzer? You played him once this year.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, he's again a lefty. Comes to the net a lot. Plays aggressive. Tough guy to play against. You know, he's ‑‑ I think he won really quickly today.

You know, he's a tough guy to play against, just, again, like Roger: Doesn't give you too much rhythm. But I feel like I'm playing well just now. I'm confident and I look forward to the match.

Q. When you're playing a guy who is serving very well and you're not making much headway, how easy is it to get frustrated, and how pleased are you with the job you did kind of not losing it when you weren't getting anywhere on his serve?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, it is tough, you know. And also, like when you do get yourself in front ‑‑ I mean, I wasn't behind at all the whole match, apart from 1‑0 in the first set.

So, you know, I stayed ahead of him for the majority of the match. And also, you know, the tough thing is when I won that third set and then I'm up 30‑Love on my serve, at and 30‑All I hit a clean winner up the line, and, you know, and it gets, you know, it gets called out and you get broken, it's like, you know, you put in so much hard work to, you know, to get the initiative to get the momentum, and then all of a sudden you're behind in the fourth and you need to come back.

And that was what ‑‑ you know, the most pleasing thing for me was each time I got broken in the fourth set was that, you know, I came back straightaway, you know.

But I thought that the whole match mentally was tough, and I dealt with it well.

Q. He was also quite upset about the line calling, as well. Would you take that any further or...

ANDY MURRAY: No, I mean, both of us were asking the other one how the ball was, and, I mean, I know him pretty well. He's a very funny guy. You know, I think we were quite honest with each other, when ‑‑ you know, we didn't give each other any calls.

You know, but we gave, you know, honest answers when we're asked about how we saw the balls. It was, yeah, it's just frustrating when both of us know that it's called wrong. I think they moved the lines judge from the far line and moved him over to the near line after we complained about him for a third or fourth time, the umpire, I think said he moved him. Yes, it was tough.

Q. There are times when you vented your frustration verbally. In past years, could that have got further? Are you better now at just dealing with it, getting rid of it, and moving on and getting the win?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah. I mean, it didn't ‑‑ I mean, didn't let any of it linger on too long. I said what had to be said. I felt like, you know, if there's calls like that and it's, you know, one of the biggest tournaments in the world it, you know, it's not nice to have that sort of lack of confidence in a lines judge or in the umpire.

You want to just be able to go and play, and I think for a little bit of the match neither of us felt that comfortable with the calling. So that's what makes it difficult.

But I was happy with the way I came back from all of the different situations that he put me in, and I managed to come out on top.

Q. Did you hear the guy heckling you?

ANDY MURRAY: Heckling me?

Q. Yeah.

ANDY MURRAY: I don't think he was heckling me.

Q. Something about you and the Queen, I think.

ANDY MURRAY: No, I think he was heckling Llodra. I think he said something like, Go back to France. You know, the Queen's supporting you or something. I don't know. I don't think he was heckling me. I think it was more towards him.

Q. Is it a bit unfair that the Grandstand, which is, you know, a major court here, doesn't have Hawk‑Eye?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, Hawk‑Eye is expensive, but, I mean, it's a huge. I think when there's a huge crowd like that, I mean, it's absolutely packed, great atmosphere, the crowd are enjoying it, they're making a lot of noise, the crowd ‑‑ Hawk‑Eye is obviously for the players.

But also I think the reason why it came into tennis is because the, you know, the fans really enjoy it. And I think it's tough, as well, for officials. There's a lot of pressure when you've got a court that's that close, you know, the fans are making a bit of noise.

It's tough for the officials, as well. So I mean, I'd rather have Hawk‑Eye on every single court, but I understand that it's very, very expensive. Would have made a difference today.

Q. How easy is it to kind of stay in the present? I know you say you have to take it one match at a time, but is that, in practice, that easy, or do you try to avoid looking too far ahead into next week?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I mean, in the past, if you do ‑‑ for me, if you do start doing that it doesn't work out particularly well for you.

And also, the guys that I'm playing are not guys that I'm, you know, 100% expected to beat. If there's a chance I can lose the match, you're going to take it very seriously.

The guy I played today has won two tour events this year, so, you know, he can beat really top players. There's no point in looking ahead. You understand what's going on in the draw and, you know, you know which half of the draw you're in and whatever, and where the top seeds are.

But, you know, it doesn't ‑‑ it doesn't make me, you know, start looking into the, you know, semis, quarterfinals, because I only made the quarterfinals of a Slam once.

I'm not good enough to be able to do that.

---------------------------------

Nice bloke this Murray :D

Jimnik
08-28-2008, 11:26 PM
2 down, 5 to go :)

finishingmove
08-28-2008, 11:30 PM
good match.

too bad llodra didnt win. murray is not going out to melzer but someone will school him if he keeps doing this shit.

he can do better than this

HeretiC
08-28-2008, 11:30 PM
What's with that "you know" stuff ?! Looks like everyone got that disease from Federer?:eek:

scoobs
08-28-2008, 11:31 PM
What's with that "you know" stuff ?! Looks like everyone got that disease from Federer?:eek:
I know. It's worse than Tim Henman's "eerrrmmms"

bambelbitz
08-28-2008, 11:41 PM
I found that this match was very entertaining. Andy earned this win, but he would have eaten his racquet if this match went to a decider!!

finishingmove
08-28-2008, 11:46 PM
i loved when murray was explaining to bernardes how he could've returned that serve that was overruled to be an ace, and then llodra served 2 more aces :lol:

NinaNina19
08-29-2008, 12:04 AM
At least you got through Andy :yeah: .

«Ivan»
08-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Murray was way too passive in the second set

murray as anti-tennis propaganda guy is always in a passive role.

ReturnWinner
08-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Lucky win ,Llodra had chances to win in four sets.

Clydey
08-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Lucky win ,Llodra had chances to win in four sets.

Yep, pure luck :)

fast_clay
08-29-2008, 01:09 AM
good match...

llodra's attack made it fully tense... such a classic all court game... i find it hard to believe he was not seeded... look luck to him for the indoor season... i rate that frenchy...

Horatio Caine
08-29-2008, 01:10 AM
From BBC Sport, and dedicated to safin_rules :o

fast_clay
08-29-2008, 02:11 AM
From BBC Sport, and dedicated to safin_rules :o

crikey... imagine ur a lonely englishman and there are a hundered of these chasing you down a hill...

finishingmove
08-29-2008, 02:18 AM
crikey... imagine ur a lonely englishman and there are a hundered of these chasing you down a hill...

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Corey Feldman
08-29-2008, 02:24 AM
crikey... imagine ur a lonely englishman and there are a hundered of these chasing you down a hill...LOL!!!!

littleash
08-29-2008, 02:37 AM
murray :D

NinaNina19
08-29-2008, 04:13 AM
:haha:

Horatio Caine
08-29-2008, 09:02 AM

:haha: :haha:

I remember a poster referring to him as a "creepy looking Scot" earlier this year, and that photo really doesn't do Murray wonders, does it? :lol:

the biscuit
08-29-2008, 11:00 AM

:rolls:

Poor Andy though, even my little stepsister calls him names. :sad:

I'm sure if he'd shave it'd be a lot better already.

Corey Feldman
08-29-2008, 01:07 PM
I think he looks like a supreme hard bastard in that pic :cool: