ATP Unveils 2009, 2010 & 2011 Tour Calendars [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ATP Unveils 2009, 2010 & 2011 Tour Calendars

ImmzB
08-28-2008, 06:05 PM
For first time ATP releases a three year calendar of events

Johannesburg, South Africa the final event confirmed for the new look ATP World Tour

New York, U.S.A. – The ATP, governing body of the men’s professional tennis circuit, today announced the 2009, 2010 and 2011 calendars, all of which will include a new event in Johannesburg, South Africa, the final city destination to be announced on the new-look ATP World Tour from 2009. Johannesburg joins 62 other tournaments in 31 countries.

As well as record breaking levels of prize money, a new revenue sharing programme for players, new tournaments and a healthier playing schedule, the ATP will next season introduce a new brand look and identity based on extensive consumer research and designed to make the Tour more fan friendly. The changes, the largest since the Tour’s inception in 1990, follow more than two years of analysis, consultation and extensive consumer research of more than 20,000 fans globally.

Following the recent announcements of the 20 venues awarded ‘Masters 1000’ and ‘500’ status, the ATP Board has announced the remaining 41 ‘250’ level events that will join the ARAG ATP World Team Cup and the ATP World Tour Finals in London to complete the revamped calendar. The changes to the ATP World Tour for 2009 will trigger over $1 billion spend committed to new facility builds and upgrades as well as increased financial commitment into men’s tennis over the next five years.

“The changes we are undertaking represent the biggest modernisation of the ATP Tour since its inception and highlight the growing appetite for men’s tennis globally, both in established and emerging markets. This series of bold changes and huge investment underlines the level of ambition and confidence that the sport has in the future. The $800 million of investment into facilities and record $100m in 2009 Tour financial commitments underlines that in the boldest way possible,” said Etienne de Villiers, Executive Chairman of the ATP. “Our aim has always been to ensure we have the best players playing in the best stadia, in the best markets at the right time. Our players, fans, tournaments, broadcasters and sponsors deserve a world class Tour and that is what we will be giving them from 2009 onwards.”

Indian Wells Tournament Director and ATP Board member Charlie Pasarell said, “The calendar changes announced are immensely important for the new ATP World Tour. This is change that is already unlocking the potential of men’s professional tennis with growing revenues, rising attendances and a number of new partners signing up to be involved in men’s tennis. Men’s tennis has never before experienced these kinds of levels of investment or the huge boosts in prize money that our sport will enjoy from 2009; these are exciting times for the ATP Tour.”

ATP Board member Ivan Ljubicic said: “The changes for the 2009 season are great news for players, tournaments and above all fans. With an enhanced calendar schedule, increased prize money and new world class stadiums this will be huge, positive change that will benefit all of us who are involved and follow the ATP World Tour.”

The new ATP World Tour calendar has been designed to enhance the potential of men’s tennis with key tournaments strategically placed to ensure 'swings' of events leading into the sport's five 'pillars' - the four Grand Slams and the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Working together with the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, in 2011 five of the nine ‘Masters 1000s’, the ATP’s top tier, will be major mandatory combined events.

In addition, post US Open, the calendar will now be strengthened by an Asian swing of three weeks that will showcase the world's best players at new tournaments - Shanghai "Masters 1000", and the Tokyo and Beijing "500s". This will be followed by an enhanced European indoor swing concluding at the new look Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London's iconic O2 Arena. The new Tour calendar ensures a healthier schedule for players, with less travel across continents and less congested sections of the season.

Tennis fans will be able to follow these ‘swings’ both live and on TV via new Premium Tour packages. Comprising 20 premier events that will include “Masters 1000’s“, “500’s”, the ATP World Tour Finals and other key regional events, the packages will offer fans a far more attractive proposition and will be sold by ATP Media to all major global broadcasters.

The new calendar will also be backed by unprecedented levels of marketing and promotional spend, designed to bring to life the unique attributes of the ATP World Tour and its star players. As well as the new brand identity and look, the ATP has already launched FEEL IT, a new multi million dollar advertising campaign, featuring ATP stars, to showcase the sport’s core values as a one on one gladiatorial battle, full of intensity and passion.

Calender 2009- http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/en/tournaments/fullcalendar/2009atp.pdf

Calender 2010- http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/en/tournaments/fullcalendar/2010atp.pdf

Calender 2011- http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/en/tournaments/fullcalendar/2011atp.pdf

ImmzB
08-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Wouldnt Say The Best Calender..

Andre♥
08-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Weird to see Amsterdam being played in April. Isn't it going to rain all week?

Estoril was a warm-up to Monte Carlo. Now it will be played after... Rome!

Hamburg after Roland Garros?

Johannesburg still doesn't have a define surface. I guess outdoor hardcourt?

Xristos
08-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Wait.. so Masters Series are called "1000's" now?

Winnipeg
08-28-2008, 06:21 PM
its ABOUT TIME !!

Leo
08-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Wow! First of all, not as shockingly different as I expected from reading the article. I hate that the 1,000/500/250 thing was kept, even with Mr. Disney out of power. Every tournament without a number listed to the left, we should assume is a 250 level event?

Okay, I have questions about the 2009 calendar:
1. Why put two 500s in the same week after several weeks of no 500s? i.e. week of February 23rd and October 5th.
2. 4 tournaments in a single week, and three of them on clay? That sucks, and is stupid, and will lead to weak fields in each of them.
3. Why does Metz fall on September 21st, in the Asian indoor circuit? It should be moved a few weeks later when all the players are in Western Europe. :rolleyes: Poor Metz.
4. And, most importantly, Monte Carlo WILL stay at Master Series level????? :) It's listed as a 1,000.

Aenea
08-28-2008, 06:27 PM
4. And, most importantly, Monte Carlo WILL stay at Master Series level????? :) It's listed as a 1,000.

Yes, but won't be mandatory.

Chip_s_m
08-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Does Barcelona really need a week to itself? Move Estoril, Amersfoot, or Munich there.

Andre♥
08-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Does Barcelona really need a week to itself? Move Estoril, Amersfoot, or Munich there.

Barcelona is traditionally the Spanish Open. Whatever Tiriac tries, most hardcore tennis fans will always see Barcelona above Madrid, even if Madrid becomes a Grand Slam.

Leo
08-28-2008, 06:31 PM

Which ones are mandatory? All MS should be mandatory.

Chip_s_m
08-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Ughh...I thought Montreal/Toronto and Cincinnati were going to be split up with Washington DC inbetween. What the hell happened there?

finishingmove
08-28-2008, 06:33 PM
1. Why put two 500s in the same week after several weeks of no 500s? i.e. week of February 23rd and October 5th.

this one is puzzling me as well..

Chip_s_m
08-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Barcelona is traditionally the Spanish Open. Whatever Tiriac tries, most hardcore tennis fans will always see Barcelona above Madrid, even if Madrid becomes a Grand Slam.

Ehh that's a weak argument. There would be no harm in putting a small MM tournament the same week. It's always done just fine with Casablanca going on at the same time.

Aenea
08-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Which ones are mandatory? All MS should be mandatory.

All the rest are. This one is not. This is the price to be left at MS level. Otherwise it would have been downgraded like Hamburg.

selyoink
08-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Why is Valencia a fall indoor hardcourt event now?

Black Adam
08-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Playing Hambourg on clay after Wimbledon= :o:help::retard:

Andre♥
08-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Ehh that's a weak argument. There would be no harm in putting a small MM tournament the same week. It's always done just fine with Casablanca going on at the same time.

Casablanca became a challenger thanks to that.

They get a better field in the same week of Estoril and Munich than in the same week of Barcelona (56 players draw).

A MM tournament in the week between Monte Carlo and Rome, in the same week of Barcelona would become a 25k challenger.

fast_clay
08-28-2008, 07:12 PM

its good that it wont be mandatory... cos those who show up will actually want to play it... and not produce some forced issue where a player turns up half injured and pulls out at 0-4 down in the 1st round... thereby, costing some other mug a shot at a few buck n points...

**** mandatories...!

fast_clay
08-28-2008, 07:15 PM

clay, grass, clay, hard...

not good for the joints...

;)

Xristos
08-28-2008, 07:19 PM
What do they all mean?

Are the 1000's the new name for Masters Series?

:confused:

Sunset of Age
08-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Read "Mr. Disney's Greatest Hits". Must be a thread about it around here somewhere. :(

Oh, and the TMS will be called the 'WTF'. I kid you not. :angel:

Or Levy
08-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Poor Hamburg. Roger and Rafa won't show up there, that's for sure. After two years of great finals.

shotgun
08-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Is there going to be any difference in points among the "250" tournaments? For instance, tournaments such as Halle, Indianapolis and New Haven give out bigger points than Bastad or Umag as it is.

Lol at Hamburg not only being downgraded but also scheduled after Roland Garros. Few people will care.

Good to see a tournament in South Africa, good scheduling as well (I've always insisted that it should be played close to the AO). Now I see they used the Durban and East London challengers as tests.

The Asian swing will definitely be more interesting now. Valencia really looks out of place as an indoor event in the fall.

Xristos
08-28-2008, 07:36 PM
I see the MAdrid Masters has moved to May, will it be played on clay now?

jcadam2003
08-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Poor Hamburg. Roger and Rafa won't show up there, that's for sure. After two years of great finals.

why don't you think rafa will play? he played stuggart in 2007 in order to not show up too cold after a long break between Wimbledon and Canada. If he has the same strategy in 2009 he would certainly pick Hamburg over Stuttgart.

CyBorg
08-28-2008, 07:49 PM
No real surprises - I prefer this Davis Cup schedule, although I'm a little mixed on the fact that the Davis Cup matches occur immediately after majors. I also don't like some of the summer hardcourt portion - four weeks before the US Open and four events? Washington-Canada-Cincy-New Haven. Why do Washington and New Haven get weeks all to themselves? And yet the week before Washington is stuffed with like four events. Makes no sense. Umag at least should have been on the same week as Washington.

Bucharest is still the only fall clay event. This is crap, but expected.

Chip_s_m
08-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Casablanca became a challenger thanks to that.

They get a better field in the same week of Estoril and Munich than in the same week of Barcelona (56 players draw).

A MM tournament in the week between Monte Carlo and Rome, in the same week of Barcelona would become a 25k challenger.

I disagree. Based on the current 2009 calendar, Casablanca will have to compete with Estoril and Munich, which combined will host 64 players in their main draws, compared to 56 if it were in the same week as Barcelona. The greater number of players competing in that week (May 4th) will likely dilute the quality of the player fields in those 3 tournaments. The only tournament that wouldn't benefit from Casablanca being moved to the week with Barcelona would be Barcelona. Casablanca is gonna have a weak field regardless, but it would be less weak if it was paired with Barcelona.

shotgun
08-28-2008, 07:57 PM
No real surprises - I prefer this Davis Cup schedule, although I'm a little mixed on the fact that the Davis Cup matches occur immediately after majors. I also don't like some of the summer hardcourt portion - four weeks before the US Open and four events? Washington-Canada-Cincy-New Haven. Why do Washington and New Haven get weeks all to themselves? And yet the week before Washington is stuffed with like four events. Makes no sense. Umag at least should have been on the same week as Washington.

New Haven has been the only event the week prior to the USO for many years already. It's not that bad considering it's a 48-player draw, most of the players ranked in the 100-200 range are busy with the USO qualies at the time, and few of the top players will bother playing the week before a Slam.

Agree about Washington though, it's unnecessary. EDIT: I see Warsaw's week hasn't been confirmed yet. I think they should really push it one week further. :shrug:

alfonsojose
08-28-2008, 08:21 PM
What a mess. They keep going with the back to back 1000 tournaments :rolleyes:

alfonsojose
08-28-2008, 08:24 PM

Just like playing another MM clay tourney post Wimby :shrug:

Foxy
08-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Rafa could play Acapulco on clay instead of Dubai for the same amount of points. He would be stupid if he doesn't do that.

Matt01
08-28-2008, 08:30 PM
I see the MAdrid Masters has moved to May, will it be played on clay now?

Yes.

Johnny Groove
08-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Its really not that bad :shrug:

Most people will still call them masters events so it really doesnt matter.

Some tourneys are kind of "WTF" in terms of scheduling but its not terrible.

Also, this DC schedule is nice, better than the current one.

All in all, not as bad as i thought it would be

scoobs
08-28-2008, 09:34 PM
It's hardly all that different and was never going to be. Name changes, and Madrid replacing Hamburg and Shanghai replacing Madrid were always the biggest changes. They've still even left Canada and Cincy back to back, for the love of all that is pure and holy.

bjurra
08-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I will miss Hamburg but having three Mas...sorry I mean 1000-events on clay before RG never really worked. All in all I think this calender is slight improvement.

The 2009 WTA calender is fucked up beyond recognition.

amirbachar
08-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Where can we see the prize money and ranking points?

dijus
08-28-2008, 10:18 PM
what's with Warsaw?

Aenea
08-28-2008, 10:30 PM
I will miss Hamburg but having three Mas...sorry I mean 1000-events on clay before RG never really worked. All in all I think this calender is slight improvement.

The 2009 WTA calender is fucked up beyond recognition.

There are still three 1000-events on clay before FO - MC, Rome and Madrid. What's the difference? Only that MC isn't mandatory anymore.

Sommarsverige
08-28-2008, 10:56 PM
I hate that calender :ras: And even more the people who decided it :devil:

Andi-M
08-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Quite a few changes compared to 2008 but I dont think its too bad.

Having TMC in London will sure be exciting, and different.

scoobs
08-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Quite a few changes compared to 2008 but I dont think its too bad.

Having TMC in London will sure be exciting, and different.
I'll be camped out there all week, that's for sure.

Bazooka
08-28-2008, 11:43 PM

Surely people not living in Madrid agree with you.

LinkMage
08-29-2008, 01:28 AM
There are still back to back Masters Series? I thought they were going to fix this. :retard: :o

And what's up with Paris being the only 1000 event with a 48 player draw instead of a 56 draw like the rest (except IW and Miami)? Would it be too difficult to put 8 more players in the draw?

Winston's Human
08-29-2008, 04:10 AM
No grass 500s when Queens has a 56-man draw. Ridiculous!

Via
08-29-2008, 09:58 AM
now i know what they mean by the asian swing. for 3 weeks, players have no other option but to go to asia, or take a holiday - not an option either for those who qualify to play in shanghai, so players might as well get their asian schedules ready.

on a separate note (or is it?) how is this calendar healthier for players, i can't really see.

Saumon
08-29-2008, 10:07 AM
There are still back to back Masters Series? I thought they were going to fix this. :retard: :o

And what's up with Paris being the only 1000 event with a 48 player draw instead of a 56 draw like the rest (except IW and Miami)? Would it be too difficult to put 8 more players in the draw?

I heard last year that Paris wanted to stop court 1 (for main draw matches) :retard: I liked watching matches on this court. So I guess with more players it would make the schedule more complicated. :rolleyes:

Anyway is it just me or the season finishes later? :retard:

Action Jackson
08-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Not be surprised by a whole lot of nothing, just the names are different. Tiriac is still a crook, the ATP are still clowns.

Good to see the season longer than before, yeah that's genius and the back to back Masters, they still can't solve that simple problem.

MrExcel
08-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Has carpet completely dissappeared now or does it just come under 'indoor hard'?

Isn't the Paris Masters 1000 being played at a new venue?

Anyone know if they'll use hard or carpet either way?

aussie_fan
08-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Some of the 500 choice contiune to make even less sense here, there are weeks where there are 2 500 events, a fe wof them and then weeks of nothing (plus the fact Queen's isn't a 500). it's all rather silly, there was no need for this change.

Thanos
08-29-2008, 02:56 PM
All the same tournaments are there except Kitzbühel in Austria is gone. Las Vegas is replaced by event in South Africa.

i really thought they would have put a tournament in serbia, considering their are two tournaments held in croatia.

the only thing that i liked so far. Is the mini asian hardcourt season. The rest seems all cramp up. I really thought they were going to try to introduce tennis to other countries, where tennis hasnt been embraced such as korea.

Im concerned if their still going to be challenger/future tournament and how they going to be scored now.

amirbachar
08-29-2008, 11:22 PM
now i know what they mean by the asian swing. for 3 weeks, players have no other option but to go to asia, or take a holiday - not an option either for those who qualify to play in shanghai, so players might as well get their asian schedules ready.

on a separate note (or is it?) how is this calendar healthier for players, i can't really see.

They will get more money, so they will be able to play the best doctors...

dam0dred
08-29-2008, 11:29 PM
The summer hardcourt schedule continues to mystify. Good to see the ATP is still fighting away common sense at every opportunity.

amirbachar
08-29-2008, 11:39 PM

It's made to give 16 players bye, because they are likely to get to the TMC, so they should start at the same round.

CyBorg
08-30-2008, 12:13 AM
Has carpet completely dissappeared now or does it just come under 'indoor hard'?

Isn't the Paris Masters 1000 being played at a new venue?

Anyone know if they'll use hard or carpet either way?

Carpet is dead, that is fairly evident.

Garson007
08-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Which is a sad, sad day for Tennis.

Paul Banks
08-30-2008, 01:12 AM
There's almost no difference.

I guess we'll never get a coherent schedule (ie, a longer clay season, instead of more clay tournaments after Wimbledon and in February, for example). I think part of the problem is that Grand Slams are not willing to move.

TheBoiledEgg
08-30-2008, 01:31 AM
having 4 tourns in a week :rolleyes:

only 1 indoor Masters :rolleyes:
2 only on clay

CyBorg
08-30-2008, 01:33 AM
2 only on clay

TheBoiledEgg
08-30-2008, 01:39 AM

:o
5 outdoor ones
Kolya was saying there's only gonna be 8 Masters next yr

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 01:50 AM
Rafa could play Acapulco on clay instead of Dubai for the same amount of points. He would be stupid if he doesn't do that.
Dubai loses its edge in terms of ranking points but it still has the $$$ and €€€ to splash around. It'll still get TMS entry lists while the clay journeymen inflate their rankings in Acapulco.

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 01:51 AM
No surprises in this calendar unfortunatley. All the shit proposals have come true.

Grass events downgraded, as expected. :retard:

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 01:58 AM
I'll be camped out there all week, that's for sure.
And I'll be right beside you. :yeah:

It's one of the few good decisions actually. In Shanghai it was camped out in a ridiculous time zone and in a country with no tennis history. London is the perfect location to improve the prestige of what I'm sure has been a declining event.

Action Jackson
08-30-2008, 10:44 AM
As if the TMC needs to be in London, they already have a Slam, they don't need the TMC.

It should be moved around to places where they don't see top class tennis regularly and have the facilities to host the event.

MrExcel
08-30-2008, 11:24 AM

So do we know if Basel is switching to hardcourt? This event has been carpet since the beginning of time!

Action Jackson
08-30-2008, 11:27 AM

Not on the WTA.

So do we know if Basel is switching to hardcourt? This event has been carpet since the beginning of time!

It was indoor hardcourt last year.

JMG
08-30-2008, 11:53 AM
I hope the ranking points system will make at least a little bit of sense. :o

MrExcel
08-30-2008, 11:57 AM
It was indoor hardcourt last year.

That completely passed me by, I didn't see any of last year's tournament... How sad... It's one thing making small cosmetic changes to tennis, but removing an entire surface from the (men's) game just takes away from what tennis is all about.

Matt01
08-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Not on the WTA.

Not? Which WTA tourneys are still played on carpet, please?

JMG
08-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Tennis needs to get rid of the event in Indian Wells. It's an uncecessary event and would make room for a better calendar structure.

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 04:00 PM
As if the TMC needs to be in London, they already have a Slam, they don't need the TMC.

It should be moved around to places where they don't see top class tennis regularly and have the facilities to host the event.
It's not about what London deserves, it's about the TMC. It needs to be in a more prestigious location.

It will move around but a few years in London won't do any harm.

Action Jackson
08-31-2008, 08:54 AM
It's not about what London deserves, it's about the TMC. It needs to be in a more prestigious location.

It will move around but a few years in London won't do any harm.

Rubbish argument clearly lacking any foresight. Hanover worked, so did Shanghai and Lisbon wasn't a failure.

In reality places that have a GS event, shouldn't have the TMC not at all. It contravenes all the crap that are spouting about spreading the game to new areas.

As long as the city can organise the event and provide quality facilities and not have a GS event, then it should be spread out.

Hendu
08-31-2008, 02:31 PM
I hate to sound like a broken record, but South America keeps being ignored.

Andre♥
08-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Not? Which WTA tourneys are still played on carpet, please?

They had one in Tokyo right after the Australian Open, which was moved to October or something like that.

They have the Quebec at the last week of the season too.

But tournaments like Leipzig and Philadelphia sadly disappeared too.

EDIT: And the end year tournament in the MSG :drool:

Jimnik
08-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Rubbish argument clearly lacking any foresight. Hanover worked, so did Shanghai and Lisbon wasn't a failure.

In reality places that have a GS event, shouldn't have the TMC not at all. It contravenes all the crap that are spouting about spreading the game to new areas.

As long as the city can organise the event and provide quality facilities and not have a GS event, then it should be spread out.
Shanghai was a failure. Low attendances, withdrawals of top players and boring matches. Even Houston was better.

London already having a grand slam is a rubbish argument. Every city gets what it deserves. If it has the organisation, the infrastructure and most importantly the support from the fans and the players then it will get the major events. I'd happily see the game spread to new areas when these places prove they want it.

Actually I really couldn't give a shit about the quality of the facilities as long as it's well attended and the locals are tennis enthusiastic. Facilities are for the sake of aesthetics and appearances only. I would happily see the TMC played in Rio for a better atmosphere, better matches and more TV exposure, even if each player doesn't get their own private shower.

Hendu
08-31-2008, 05:32 PM
Shanghai was a failure. Low attendances, withdrawals of top players and boring matches. Even Houston was better.

London already having a grand slam is a rubbish argument. Every city gets what it deserves. If it has the organisation, the infrastructure and most importantly the support from the fans and the players then it will get the major events. I'd happily see the game spread to new areas when these places prove they want it.

Every city gets what it deserves?

Give me a break. This is not about merits. It's about money.

Many cities have the infrastructure, the organizational capabilities and the support of the fans to host the TMC.

England already has two ATP tournaments and a Grand Slam. Thats a month of tennis!!

It is just another stupid move by De Villiers.

Jimnik
08-31-2008, 05:44 PM
Every city gets what it deserves?

Give me a break. This is not about merits. It's about money.

Many cities have the infrastructure, the organizational capabilities and the support of the fans to host the TMC.
So name these cities then. Like it or not, Britain has probably the best sport fans in the world, along with maybe Australia and Argentina. You never see a sporting event that isn't sold out and doesn't get comprehensive TV coverage.

If it's about money then why didn't Dubai get the TMC? London is already overspending on the Olympics. It doesn't have any money for tennis.

England already has two ATP tournaments and a Grand Slam. Thats a month of tennis!!
So what? France has a GS, a TMS and three MM events. Maybe some of those should be spread to China.

Hendu
08-31-2008, 06:13 PM
So name these cities then. Like it or not, Britain has probably the best sport fans in the world, along with maybe Australia and Argentina. You never see a sporting event that isn't sold out and doesn't get comprehensive TV coverage.

If it's about money then why didn't Dubai get the TMC? London is already overspending on the Olympics. It doesn't have any money for tennis.

South America doesn't have any big tournaments. A big tennis country like the Czech Republic doesn't have any ATP tournaments. Serbia doesn't also. And thats just off the top of my head.

I don't say money is the only reason. Just the main reason. If it didn't have any money, it wouldn't be hosting the TMC.

So what? France has a GS, a TMS and three MM events. Maybe some of those should be spread to China.

The TMC shouldn't be hosted in France or Australia or the USA or Germany... concentrating the tournaments even more in the same countries won't help the sport.

fast_clay
08-31-2008, 06:45 PM

London makes sense because it is the centre of the universe...

and also... they had to finally do something with that thingy in east london...

fast_clay
08-31-2008, 06:50 PM
South America doesn't have any big tournaments. A big tennis country like the Czech Republic doesn't have any ATP tournaments. Serbia doesn't also. And thats just off the top of my head.

I don't say money is the only reason. Just the main reason. If it didn't have any money, it wouldn't be hosting the TMC.

The TMC shouldn't be hosted in France or Australia or the USA or Germany... concentrating the tournaments even more in the same countries won't help the sport.

Prague would be a f***ing brilliant place to hold it...

Holding it in australia a little later in the year after a break from the inddor swing is fantastic...

i mean, everyone should go out and have a hot christmas... 1.5'C beer and 37'C summers do go together well... then hang out till the AO... Australia's not the worst place in the world to kick back for a few months... Lendl used to be religious about it...

Jimnik
08-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Again, so what? I could name more countries than you that don't have big tournaments. It doesn't mean anything. If one country has enthusiastic fans and the other doesn't then it will get the major events and the other won't get anything.

Wrong, as I've already explained. Unless you consider sponsership, TV and ticket revenue. These will of course be greater in London because the fans give a shit about tennis.

So placing the tournament in Shanghai will automatically help the sport in China? I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Jimnik
08-31-2008, 07:05 PM

Of course time zone is a factor. If the tennis fans can't see it then who will?

The ATP doesn't care about the "thingy in East London" but for sure it's convenient that the city can use it for something.

Hendu
08-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Again, so what? I could name more countries than you that don't have big tournaments. It doesn't mean anything. If one country has enthusiastic fans and the other doesn't then it will get the major events and the other won't get anything.

yeah right!, London gets the TMC because of the enthusiasm of its fans!!!

lol

Wrong, as I've already explained. Unless you consider sponsership, TV and ticket revenue. These will of course be greater in London because the fans give a shit about tennis.

I do.

So placing the tournament in Shanghai will automatically help the sport in China? I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Moving the masters cup to different countries could help spread the sport. I think that. There is nothing automatic in these things. And I also think countries with a big tennis fan base who cannot access to big tournaments should have the priority.

Hendu
08-31-2008, 08:27 PM
A subjective, not very accurate and probably biased look at the calendar...

I didn't take into account the "size" of the tournaments smaller than the "500".

Just wanted to know how many countries have a "better place" in the ATP tour than Argentina. The answer is 19. (18 if you don't consider Monaco a country)

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x60/josepe06/tennisclasses.jpg

Yes, I know. Today I have too much time in my hands... don't hate me for being bored!!! :tape:

Jimnik
08-31-2008, 08:42 PM
yeah right!, London gets the TMC because of the enthusiasm of its fans!!!

lol

I do.
I don't know why London got the TMC but it wasn't because of money. I'm just telling you why they deserve it more than Shagnhai. The fact that private sponsers, TV and fans are paying for everything shows how much the British public wants it. Unlike China where the government had to pay for everything and offer discount tickets to try to fill the stadium.

Moving the masters cup to different countries could help spread the sport. I think that. There is nothing automatic in these things. And I also think countries with a big tennis fan base who cannot access to big tournaments should have the priority.
Finally something I agree with.

But just sending big tennis stars to a country with no tennis interest isn't going to boost the popularity of the sport there. This has been proved many times. That's why Shanghai was a mistake and the TMC has suffered accordingly.

Btw, I would also love to see the TMC in Argentina one day. In fact that's probably an even better time zone for both Europe and America.

Hendu
08-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Finally something I agree with.

But just sending big tennis stars to a country with no tennis interest isn't going to boost the popularity of the sport there. This has been proved many times. That's why Shanghai was a mistake and the TMC has suffered accordingly.

I didn't mention any place where nobody cares about tennis. I think it was pretty much all the way around.

England is at least a top 4 country in terms of opportunities to watch live tennis. While there are other places with big enough fan bases to hold the event, that don't have any big tournaments.

Having the TMC for one or two years does help the development of tennis in a country and also could provide good indication that those countries could host a permanent tournament of the calendar.

Via
09-01-2008, 12:29 AM

not centre of the universe perhaps, but certainly capital of the empire. long live the queen.

Unlike China where the government had to pay for everything and offer discount tickets to try to fill the stadium.

not government any more, big business sponsors yes. many locals wouldn't afford the real ticket prices of rewarding top stars to play there. but you can't say they aren't enthusiastic. we are not talking about the MM beijing tournament here. players at the TMC are all big names, they will be popular with the locals no matter where on earth they play.

btw if you look at how asian cities like kuala lumpur and macau hosting top names in exhibitions, to get around the atp's tour structure and let their fans watch some tennis by paying up.. you'll know where marketing forces lie. and they are not at the centre of the universe!

Jimnik
09-01-2008, 12:31 AM
not government any more, big business sponsors yes. many locals wouldn't afford the real ticket prices of rewarding top stars to play there. but you can't say they aren't enthusiastic. we are not talking about the MM beijing tournament here. players at the TMC are all big names, they will be popular with the locals no matter where on earth they play.
Only if the locals have heard of them.

Qi Zhong stadium was not funded by private enterprise.

Jogy
09-01-2008, 12:40 AM
not much improved in this calender. They have still Masters following Masters tournament without break.

and of course I still reading such crap like from GeorgeHitler who wants the Masters Cup in China that almost every player makes another 12000 flying miles to and from Shanghai to get the jetlag stress on the body, but at the same time whines for a lighter schedule and how they suck.

does not go together if you want it like that.

Three tournaments at every continent in three weeks doing 20000 flying miles over all different time zones are more stress than five tournaments in five weeks the same region witin 2000 miles and maybe three time zones.

Via
09-01-2008, 12:48 AM
Only if the locals have heard of them.

which locals haven't heard of federer and nadal?

Qi Zhong stadium was not funded by private enterprise.

no? good thing that governments fund infrastructure. i suppose macquarie funds british toll roads much the same as in australia.

you were talking about discount tickets before.

Jimnik
09-01-2008, 01:01 AM
which locals haven't heard of federer and nadal?
LOL. Are you kidding me? You really think most Chinese have even heard of these two? Federer maybe by some but Nadal no way.

no? good thing that governments fund infrastructure. i suppose macquarie funds british toll roads much the same as in australia.

you were talking about discount tickets before.
Yes, governments need to step in when its citizens don't care enough. Image - that's what it's about. It's a chance to show off, nothing more.

And yes tickets were given away cheaply to get the fans in, just like at the Olympics. Interesting that London doesn't need to do that.

fast_clay
09-01-2008, 01:39 AM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x60/josepe06/tennisclasses.jpg

EDIT: I agree that at least one south american country should be liften out of the slums with an end of swing non-mandatory 1000... like... i mean... common sense means it'll happen at some stage... it'd be worth supporting it too if it wasn't viable initially, the wait for a pay-off would not be long and worth it...

nice job big fella...

i'm not gonna go on too much more about how robbed hamburg has been, but, i just see how strong germany used to be, with TMC + Hamburg + Grand Slam Cup(itf) once upon a time... now they could be a threat to fall out of that bracket... I really wouldnt mind where they held the TMC, i remember the 90's year ending championships in Germany quite fondly...

...just quickly, do Germany get 2 500's not 1...?

Hendu
09-01-2008, 01:55 AM
i'm not gonna go on too much more about how robbed hamburg has been, but, i just see how strong germany used to be, with TMC + Hamburg + Grand Slam Cup(itf) once upon a time... now they could be a threat to fall out of that bracket... I really wouldnt mind where they held the TMC, i remember the 90's year ending championships in Germany quite fondly...

...just quickly, do Germany get 2 500's not 1...?

No, Hamburg is the only 500.

I didn't agree with what they did to Hamburg, a tournament with such a big history. But the Germans aren't that bad. They have more than a month of tennis, which is more than any other non-Grand Slam country.

Munich
Düsseldorf (ATP World Team Championship)
Halle
Stuttgart
Hamburg (500)

fast_clay
09-01-2008, 02:00 AM
No, Hamburg is the only 500.

I didn't agree with what they did to Hamburg, a tournament with such a big history. But the Germans aren't that bad. They have more than a month of tennis, which is more than any other non-Grand Slam country.

Munich
Düsseldorf (ATP World Team Championship)
Halle
Stuttgart
Hamburg (500)

sorted, i mis heard... i thought i heard stuttgart got 500 status... (another tourney that had a heavier status + 5 set final in the 90's)

and... yeah... there are more countries worse off...

as long as the tour keeps the skeleton of the important swings and tours, i wouldn't mind seeing as many tourneys added as interested parties wanted to put on, as long as they fit in around... that'd include a couple of extra 1000's in key places...

Hendu
09-01-2008, 02:07 AM
sorted, i mis heard... i thought i heard stuttgart got 500 status... (another tourney that had a heavier status + 5 set final in the 90's)

500:

Rotterdam
Memphis
Acapulco
Dubai
Barcelona
Hamburg
Washington D.C.
Beijing
Tokyo
Basel
Valencia

Ups, now I realize, Dubai is missing as a 500 in my list. Too bad, I knew it wasn't ok. So, 20 countries are in a better situation than Argentina, adding the United Arab Emirates... :o

StevoTG
09-01-2008, 02:45 AM
Hmmm grass tennis and South America ignored again... I'm shocked :rolleyes: :mad:

Someone should start-up a grass court event in South America :lol:

But seriously, they might as well have left things the way they were, apart from the TMC in London there is noting too dramatic - just the usual head-scratching of players and fans.

Action Jackson
09-01-2008, 05:17 AM

Actually I really couldn't give a shit about the quality of the facilities as long as it's well attended and the locals are tennis enthusiastic. Facilities are for the sake of aesthetics and appearances only. I would happily see the TMC played in Rio for a better atmosphere, better matches and more TV exposure, even if each player doesn't get their own private shower.

Classic British imperalist attitude here. As for Shanghai being a failure, well if players are injured, then they are injured, that has nothing to do with the venue.

As for the fans, well it's not like China and the UK are different into what income base they are trying to appeal to. So all that crowd noise at Shanghai is done by sound engineers to make it look like that there were people there.

Yes, there is a month of tennis already in England, yes they are such good fans they only give a shit about Wimbledon and that month of tennis in the country at the time. Look at the events in Bournemouth and London Indoor, if they were that good and well attended, then they wouldn't have been relocated or the licence not renewed.

CooCooCachoo
09-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Weird to see Amsterdam being played in April. Isn't it going to rain all week?

Estoril was a warm-up to Monte Carlo. Now it will be played after... Rome!

Hamburg after Roland Garros?

Johannesburg still doesn't have a define surface. I guess outdoor hardcourt?

WTF You got me thinking there's a fourth Dutch event coming up :rolls: But it's Amersfoort. Shouldn't matter if it's April or July for the amount of rain though.

Labamba
09-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Compared to what the WTA has done to their calendar for 2009, I think we can be fairly satisfied with what we got. Some issues still exist, but overall the calendar ain't too bad. The main problem I have is the increased number of combined events with the WTA, there will be 14 combined events in 2009 compared to 9 this year. The combined events are:

Brisbane (new)
Sydney
Memphis (new)
Acapulco
Indian Wells
Miami
Estoril
Madrid (new)
's-Hertogenbosch
Eastbourne (new)
Warsaw (new)
New Haven
Beijing (new)
Moscow

(Tokyo is no longer combined in 2009)

Also Rome, Toronto/Montreal and Cincinnati will be combined events by 2011.

Labamba
11-03-2008, 02:28 PM
WTF You got me thinking there's a fourth Dutch event coming up :rolls: But it's Amersfoort. Shouldn't matter if it's April or July for the amount of rain though.

no need to worry about the rain in Amersfoort anymore as it's being sold and moved to Belgrade

Labamba
11-03-2008, 02:48 PM
looks like the idiotic 28-player main draws are set to continue in 2009 :mad:

the latest calendar update lists Sydney and Auckland as 28-player draws: http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/en/tournaments/fullcalendar/challengers2009.pdf

also interesting to note is the prize money differences between some "250" events (Doha $1,110,250 vs Chennai $450,000), will the ranking points be the same for all "250's"?

amirbachar
11-03-2008, 02:56 PM
also interesting to note is the prize money differences between some "250" events (Doha $1,110,250 vs Chennai $450,000), will the ranking points be the same for all "250's"?

I'm almost sure that the ranking points for all "250" events will be the same - that was the main part of the new system - they say they wanted it to be clear how many points are dealt to the winner.

Magus13
11-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Would be nice to make Hamburg a MM tourney and give Germany Halle as a 1000 Masters on grass. Also put Hamburg before the French. A Clay Court tourney after Wimbledon is a joke. Also the US has too many tournaments for a country that does'nt treat tennis as a top sport. Fi

Garson007
11-03-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't really see what the problem with next year's calendar is. Below are all the tournaments that should concern the top players (although I know they'll still play Queens or whatever). The ones in red are mandatory.

Even if a player decides to play all 500 events together with mandatory ones he'll never be in action for more than 3 weeks straight (bar Miami and Indian Wells).

AsianSensation
11-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Don't see any major problems here, but I thought one of the reasons for redoing the calendar was to give players a longer off-season? It looks like next year will end later than this year....

Deborah
11-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Sorry to bump this thread again :o

Don't really like all the changes... :rolleyes:
If I have it correct the topplayers are supposed to play at least 4 500-events. Is there a restriction on the amount of, let's say top 10 players, one 500-event can invite?

Dubai for example is now a 500, but still has lots of $$$ to throw with to attract the players... Can for example the whole top 10 play there?

Via
11-19-2008, 11:46 PM
looks like the idiotic 28-player main draws are set to continue in 2009 :mad:

the latest calendar update lists Sydney and Auckland as 28-player draws: http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/en/tournaments/fullcalendar/challengers2009.pdf

i don't blame sydney for trying a new format. top players have been tanking in sydney in recent years in a hurry to get to melbourne, so the latter rounds were a joke. i suppose it's the same in auckland. it will be interesting to see if it makes any difference :rolleyes:

smucav
11-20-2008, 07:43 PM
The WTA have really messed up on this

No more than 2 Top 10 players can play the lesser events

For example if Moscow invite Serena and Jankovic

Then NONE of the Five Top 10 Russians can play in their home event !!!!This is completely false. Moscow is one of the tournaments exempt from the rule. Safina even admitted that she didn't know what she was talking about when she made her original statement about this:

http://www.tennis.com/news/ticker.aspxDinara Safina has modified the comments she made last week about the new WTA calendar, when she said the players could chose to boycott the tour over limits on the number of top players certain events can have. Specific concern was expressed over Moscow given that Russia has several top 10 players.

"I was given the wrong information and now understand that the Kremlin Cup in Moscow can receive an unlimited number of top players," she said. I support the direction the Tour is taking – especially as it relates to steps taken to create a healthier calendar for top players – though I want to wait and see how the Roadmap develops before coming to final opinions on the many reforms that will part of the new system.”

WTA CEO Larry Scott said Moscow was exempt from the limits. "[Moscow] is one of five tournaments which falls the week immediately before a Grand Slam or the Sony Ericsson Championships that will have unlimited player commitment, meaning any number of top 10 players can play the event. We have since spoken with Dinara and clarified this detail."