aiming for body is not fair play? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

aiming for body is not fair play?

Bazooka
08-28-2008, 10:16 AM
This thread comes from the Roddick vs Santoro match, when Fabrice got pissed about a serve to body.

¿Is it really considered not fair play in any way? I had really never thought about it that way, nor commentators on TV (I usually listen to Corretja) mention it's a dirty tactic; example, the Gulbis-Nadal match, Alex just said Ernests was being smart with his serve to the body. It's just one option out of three you have, serve to backhand, to forehand, or to body.

Even as player myself, sometimes aim (and get also my share of) some balls to the body, or to the feet, and never have hit anyone or been hit, there's time enough to get away. The difficult thing is, get away and still make a decent shot.

What do you think? What do commentators say in your country?

JolánGagó
08-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Santoro must be joking or just whinning out of frustration.

gjr
08-28-2008, 10:38 AM
I didn't see what happened but Roddick said in his press conference he didn't intend to do what he did.

As for serving legally to the body I don't see an issue myself. It's just like targeting someones backhand/forehand all the time if they are weak on that side. If people don't like it at the body then tough. If it's a legal serve I don't see a problem.

Black Adam
08-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Back in the days of serve and volley, a body serve was a very effective second serve because most of the time it would be unreturned or it would result in a weak return that's easy to put away. Nothing wrong in mixing it up. Nobody even complains unless they are being grumpy which hypocritically Santoro was being. He is a great doubles player and i am sure he has made his own share of body serves over the years.

bjurra
08-28-2008, 10:58 AM
I think Fabrice was just generally tired of getting trashed. Ask him today and he'd probably say body serves are ok.

Naranoc
08-28-2008, 11:03 AM
It surely wouldn't make sense if you had to serve to where the receiver found it most convenient to return. The whole point is to make the ball unreachable/difficult for them to play back.

guille&tati4life
08-28-2008, 11:15 AM
:haha: Typical whiny Santoro

Chileno
08-28-2008, 11:28 AM
It is fair play...just try and be nice and not aim for the head.

Bilbo
08-28-2008, 11:32 AM
one day santoro is the hero and the next day he gets criticized

weird

MacTheKnife
08-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Of course it's fair play. Roddick said he wasn't going for him, but even if he was, that's part of the game. Santoro was just getting his a$$ handed to him and was frustrated as he11.

Or Levy
08-28-2008, 11:40 AM
I suppose Santoro didn't expect a body serve, the scoreline being what it is. He wasn't fighting very hard at this point. That's what Andy said - he wouldn't have gone for him, two sets and a break up. The ball got away from him.

Andy's expression when he realized Santoro was just going to stand there, hands on hips, while he served his last serve, was hysterical.

cardio
08-28-2008, 11:42 AM
It is perfectly legal, but I had an impression that Santoro thought that Roddick wanted to humiliate him. Santoro`s body language was like :" OK, I played bad match,shit happens, you won already , there is no need to hit me with ball!" That said, I think Andy`s intention was not to humiliate Fabrice.
video, last game
http://www.sharebig.com/share.php?id=s11boooliqdSUAxFA

Sunset of Age
08-28-2008, 11:46 AM
It surely wouldn't make sense if you had to serve to where the receiver found it most convenient to return.

Player X: "Damn, an Ace! Impossible to return! Unfair!" :lol:

The whole point is to make the ball unreachable/difficult for them to play back.

Heee. Yes, the goal of the sport of tennis is... to score points. ;)

one day santoro is the hero and the next day he gets criticized

weird

Santoro is in general a very nice guy, and I like him a lot, but if he complains about a bodyserve, he's just being out-of-line. No problem, all these guys are human and all of them make whiney statements once in a while. I'm sure he only did so because of disappointment - but it is indeed being whiney. :shrug:

Bernard Black
08-28-2008, 11:57 AM
In this case the onus is on Santoro to do something about the body serve not for Roddick to stop doing it. If his positioning and movement were better he could have dealt with the serves. He was just frustrated as people have said and shouldn't be taken seriously.

SheepleBuster
08-28-2008, 12:04 PM
I think if you aim for the body, you should go for the KO man. This is no kiddie sport. Hit it where it hurts the most.

Bilbo
08-28-2008, 12:23 PM
I think if you aim for the body, you should go for the KO man. This is no kiddie sport. Hit it where it hurts the most.

actually many think tennis is no real mens sport because there is no body contact :shrug:

SheepleBuster
08-28-2008, 12:32 PM
actually many think tennis is no real mens sport because there is no body contact :shrug:

That's pretty much the idea in the U.S. Tennis is as real as Synchronized diving in the U.S. It's either Football, Baseball, or it's a girl's sport :confused:

alfonsojose
08-28-2008, 12:35 PM
WTF Santoro does think he is? long career, ok. But just a journeyman with unorthodox shots. Roddick did nothing wrong.

Forehander
08-28-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. Aim for the lethal parts is most appropriate if you ask me.

L James
08-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Elite athletes these days are too soft.

shotgun
08-28-2008, 02:09 PM
I don't know what world Santoro is living in, but certainly not today's.

Truc
08-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Has anybody managed to download cardio's video? The filehoster isn't working for me and I would like to see it.
Or is there another video somewhere?

MusicMyst
08-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Fair play with the single exception of mixed doubles, where the rule is that men don't aim at the women. So if Santoro is complaining, somebody should ask him if he's playing mixed out there.

waterlily_021989
08-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Has anybody managed to download cardio's video? The filehoster isn't working for me and I would like to see it.

It's not working for me either:awww:

Jaap
08-28-2008, 02:41 PM
LOL, what a joke from Santoro.

Its like a goalkeeper in football complaining about a striker hitting the ball too hard at him.

Deal with it.

Jōris
08-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Not only is it fair, it's fun too.

tangerine_dream
08-28-2008, 02:57 PM
http://th433.photobucket.com/albums/qq57/borfra/th_zidane-deutschland.gif

Bernard Black
08-28-2008, 03:27 PM

If you're going to foul an Italian, then do it properly :lol:

mariyella80
08-28-2008, 04:05 PM
body serve at that point in the match and at that magnintude was unnecessary...but andy apologized at the net when they shock hands at the end who knows.....WHO CARES HAHAHAH ....andy isnt going deep anyway; he should feel releived that he didnt loose given how nervous he was at the interview before going on court,one would have thought he was facing nadal in a first round match ...

cardio
08-28-2008, 04:09 PM

Same video, another host. I hope this site is working better
http://rapidshare.com/files/140823332/roddick-santoro.avi.html

scarecrows
08-28-2008, 04:10 PM

this is how it happened

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/c/7/d/c7d5f6fc65a4b345ee98652f11db34e2.gif

nizelegz
08-28-2008, 04:26 PM
I found it on youtube. Roddick vs Santoro

Truc
08-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Same video, another host. I hope this site is working better
http://rapidshare.com/files/140823332/roddick-santoro.avi.htmlThanks a lot!

star
08-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Santoro can be prickly at times. I've seen him lose his temper before. I think it doesn't mean too much. Santoro was probably not in the happiest of moods anyway at that point. He'll get over it.

BodyServe
08-28-2008, 05:30 PM
This thread comes from the Roddick vs Santoro match, when Fabrice got pissed about a serve to body.

¿Is it really considered not fair play in any way? I had really never thought about it that way, nor commentators on TV (I usually listen to Corretja) mention it's a dirty tactic; example, the Gulbis-Nadal match, Alex just said Ernests was being smart with his serve to the body. It's just one option out of three you have, serve to backhand, to forehand, or to body.

Even as player myself, sometimes aim (and get also my share of) some balls to the body, or to the feet, and never have hit anyone or been hit, there's time enough to get away. The difficult thing is, get away and still make a decent shot.

What do you think? What do commentators say in your country?

A one handed BH can help.

Roddick did that to Nadal at USO 2004.
I remember when Roddick had to Duck on a Karlovic's serve at Washington 2005, he get so scared that he had to hide behind a line judge :lol:

Fumus
08-28-2008, 05:35 PM
A one handed BH can help.

Roddick did that to Nadal at USO 2004.
I remember when Roddick had to Duck on a Karlovic's serve at Washington 2005, he get so scared that he had to hide behind a line judge :lol:

HAHAHA! This thread was made for you. :worship:

BodyServe
08-28-2008, 05:38 PM
HAHAHA! This thread was made for you. :worship:

:D

fast_clay
08-28-2008, 05:43 PM
i saw a dude get in the balls once in a match in my old club, an in-swinging serve to the body on the deuce court... the match stopped for 10 minutes or so... but... the dude that got hit said it was a good serve... so... no dramas... right..? surely it was a good serve...

nothing wrong with bringing a bit of agro back into tennis... god knows how long tennis players have had to put up with 'hey, you are the pussy tennis player right...?' from dudes in other sports like rugby... fab was just being a french pussy... and the last thing we need is another pussy in the men's game...

i support roddick in his attempts to rough up the ATP tour... good sh!t...!

more please....

Black Adam
08-28-2008, 05:44 PM
7ayoGUUFnSY
I can understand Santoro thinking it was pointless at that point but like Andy said, he was just aiming for the T and missed.

Andre♥
08-28-2008, 05:45 PM
If I was hit by a Roddick bomb, while being at the net, I wouldn't be happy neither. I would be... in pain! :lol:

fast_clay
08-28-2008, 05:50 PM
this is how it happened

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/c/7/d/c7d5f6fc65a4b345ee98652f11db34e2.gif

yeah... fuk off to all those people who said it came from the grassy knoll...

look here... it came from the book depository....

SheepleBuster
08-28-2008, 06:27 PM
7ayoGUUFnSY
I can understand Santoro thinking it was pointless at that point but like Andy said, he was just aiming for the T and missed.

Dude. That just made my day again :) Andy looked like he was afraid of Santoro man. He was like a kid afraid of the bogeyman!

JolánGagó
08-28-2008, 06:54 PM
He could have lost that match in more dignity if you ask me, that was just clownish.

GlennMirnyi
08-28-2008, 07:05 PM
On serve it's not a big deal. When somebody is at the net, though, it's pretty rude.

stebs
08-28-2008, 07:11 PM
On serve it's not a big deal. When somebody is at the net, though, it's pretty rude.

On the whole I agree with you but if it is a situation where winning the point is a real question mark and going for the body is by far the best way, then so be it.

scarecrows
08-28-2008, 07:13 PM
On the whole I agree with you but if it is a situation where winning the point is a real question mark and going for the body is by far the best way, then so be it.

exactly

when the opponent stay too close to the net and you cant find any spaces go for the body

GlennMirnyi
08-28-2008, 07:18 PM

It's rude and it shows character. You can aim at someone but not at their body.

shotgun
08-28-2008, 07:21 PM

It's only rude if you have the court wide open for a passing shot and you aim for the body. I remember that match in Argentina between Philippoussis and Nalbandian, where Flip did that because he was annoyed by some comments Nalbandian had made during the week about the Aussie team having no chances to win the tie. :lol:

OTOH, if you're close to the net, lacking angles and the opponent is right in front of you, why not? Perfectly legitimate.

Matt01
08-28-2008, 07:36 PM
In this case the onus is on Santoro to do something about the body serve not for Roddick to stop doing it. If his positioning and movement were better he could have dealt with the serves. He was just frustrated as people have said and shouldn't be taken seriously.

You mean Roddick's serve which was 140 mph? Laughable.

GlennMirnyi
08-28-2008, 08:34 PM
You mean Roddick's serve which was 140 mph? Laughable.

Have you ever played tennis? It's perfectly "defensible". In the 90s there were so many big servers and you rarely saw that.

Lendl's Forehand
08-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Roddick did nothing wrong.

Santoro embarrassed himself and the sport with his total wuss reaction. Time to retire, Fabrice.

Fumus
08-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Didn't Rusedski complain about this too?

smucav
08-28-2008, 09:18 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_wertheim/08/28/day.four/index.htmlEver seen a player just let Match Point go like Fabrice Santoro did? I'm not going to condemn Santoro for it--not going anywhere near that--but anyone know if he and Roddick cleared the air to move on?
-- Marshall, Newton, Mass.

• I thought that was an unfortunate end to an unfortunate match. Santoro has a rich history playing fun U.S. Open night matches. But he lacked the magic last night. Maybe it was age. Maybe it was his lack of preparation. Maybe it was Andy Roddick's unanswerable power. But that wasn't the player who nearly beat James Blake last year. Roddick's serve--two points from a runaway match--was unnecessarily close to Santoro, causing him to sprawl. But, hey, sometimes the ball gets away from the pitcher, even in a blowout. Don't think Roddick meant it as a statement and hopefully he was able to seek out Santoro and apologize.

bluefork
08-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Going for a body serve is a completely legitimate tactic, and I can't really criticize him for it. But at the same time, I look at this match and then I look at the match the Federer played against Santoro at the Australian Open this year, and I see exactly why I like Federer and I dislike Roddick.

Federer absolutely demolished Santoro in the 2nd round of the AO, but they had some great points. Federer never looked like his goal was to humiliate Santoro. In fact, once it was clear that Federer was going to win, they almost looked like they were playing an exhibition rather than a competitive match. Despite the lopsided scoreline, both the crowd and the players seemed to enjoy the match, and there was no bad blood whatsoever between Federer and Santoro at the end.

Last night's match was very different. Of course Roddick is not required to go out there and make it a fun match for Santoro and the crowd. I'm not even saying he should. But he also didn't have to go for a 140mph serve at 6-2, 6-2, 5-2 30-0. He has a tendency to bully less players than himself by unnecessarily going for 140+ mph body serves, aiming for them at the net, or yelling at them after he wins a point. I'm sure his fans will come rushing in with their objections, but to me this makes him very hard to respect.

fast_clay
08-28-2008, 09:48 PM
whoever is critisising roddick is having a f***ing Tommy Tank... end of story...

Deboogle!.
08-28-2008, 09:50 PM
But he also didn't have to go for a 140mph serve at 6-2, 6-2, 5-2 30-0. He has a tendency to bully less players than himself by unnecessarily going for 140+ mph body serves, aiming for them at the net, or yelling at them after he wins a point. I'm sure his fans will come rushing in with their objections, but to me this makes him very hard to respect.Of course, sometimes he unnecessarily intimidates - most vividly he did this against poor Scoville Jenkins 4 years ago. But do you really think that Andy was trying to intimidate Santoro? Did you happen to hear what he said about Santoro both before and after last night's match (things like "I like Santoro a lot and he is great for the game" and much more), plus Santoro had beaten him the last time he played. Andy absolutely is unnecessarily obnoxious on court, but I saw none of that behavior at all last night, just that he was pumped up to be back at a night match at the USO and he was fist pumping a lot - but not in Santoro's face at all. This is not a guy Andy believes he is superior to or disrespects - in fact by things Andy says I think you clearly see he respects Santoro quite a lot and I think by going out and playing such a focused businesslike match, it shows that he respects Santoro's abiliites on court as well.

But really, first of all, are you suggesting that if he is winning easily, he should take his foot off the gas and ease up on his serve, when that's his big weapon, there are over 20,000 people and the adrenaline is rushing because he's pumped up about playing well? What if he's up 30-0 and throws in a few soft seves and ends up losing the break? I think serving for the match, no matter what the score, is not at all a time to ease up in any way. Andy serves big and he always serves big when he's serving out the match, as he always should. Second, the speed gun at the USO is jacked - Samantha Stosur "hit" a "121 mph" serve the other day, so I don't think Andy's serve was even 140mph. Third, Andy was just trying to win the point; it was clear - even apparently to some of his worst haters - that Andy wasn't trying to go at Santoro like that. He said he was trying to go up the T and missed the spot. So fourth, did that really justify Santoro's reaction? To just stand there and refuse to return his final serve? Say something to him at the net or in the locker room later, but I think to react like that was plenty immature on Santoro's fault - and I am a big big fan of his and I had hoped the match would have been much more entertaining and think it's unfortunate that it was not.

If you don't respect him, I really don't care and I'm sure 99% of andy fans won't :lol: But for me, I think the fact that he not only apologized at the net but also said that he would actively seek him out afterwards to apologize AGAIN shows to me that he has more than enough class to allow me to respect him.

Black Adam
08-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Going for a body serve is a completely legitimate tactic, and I can't really criticize him for it. But at the same time, I look at this match and then I look at the match the Federer played against Santoro at the Australian Open this year, and I see exactly why I like Federer and I dislike Roddick.

Federer absolutely demolished Santoro in the 2nd round of the AO, but they had some great points. Federer never looked like his goal was to humiliate Santoro. In fact, once it was clear that Federer was going to win, they almost looked like they were playing an exhibition rather than a competitive match. Despite the lopsided scoreline, both the crowd and the players seemed to enjoy the match, and there was no bad blood whatsoever between Federer and Santoro at the end.

Last night's match was very different. Of course Roddick is not required to go out there and make it a fun match for Santoro and the crowd. I'm not even saying he should. But he also didn't have to go for a 140mph serve at 6-2, 6-2, 5-2 30-0. He has a tendency to bully less players than himself by unnecessarily going for 140+ mph body serves, aiming for them at the net, or yelling at them after he wins a point. I'm sure his fans will come rushing in with their objections, but to me this makes him very hard to respect.
Many people are going to lose their sleep. Please do change your mind before many die of insomnia. Like Deb said, there is no reason to drop your pace just because the finish line is looming. Usain Bolt did that in the 100m and there were some who complained.

Next thing you know, you will want a restriction on serve speed :rolleyes: It's not like his serve is blowing away the entire tour so just take a chill pill. Remember back then when they shortly changed the rules when Pancho Gonzalez was killing people with his serve and volley play and even changing the rules didn't stop him form killing his opponents. Point is Andy has got a huge weapon in his serve and shouldn't be restricted in using it to its full capacity.

Bazooka
08-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Well, I asked for body aim, and it seems we have a consensus (except for GlennMyrni, which actually makes it look even more as a consensus). So it's settled.

About other questions that arised:

-Santoro not returning the last point was ridiculous and unprofessional. It's his job to play tennis, a dream come true for a few lucky guys, and he has earned millions for that. So he has to return serve, no matter how humilliated he feels, or what his odds are. Not to mention he always has a chance to win the match.

-Roddick maybe aimed for the body. So what. Have you ever been at a few points from winning/losing a match? you must try your best and hardest shots, that's not being a bully. A few hours ago I lost a set I was leading by 4-1 and 30-0, so when you have a clear chance to finish, do it. That's not being a bully, it's actually his job.

About the guy that compared this to Federer, and how he was not a bully compared to Roddick, well, maybe Federer should have been a little bullier this year at Montecarlo and Hamburg finals. Finish your opponent when there's a chance, or you're not gonna win.

bluefork
08-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Of course, sometimes he unnecessarily intimidates - most vividly he did this against poor Scoville Jenkins 4 years ago. But do you really think that Andy was trying to intimidate Santoro? Did you happen to hear what he said about Santoro both before and after last night's match (things like "I like Santoro a lot and he is great for the game" and much more), plus Santoro had beaten him the last time he played. Andy absolutely is unnecessarily obnoxious on court, but I saw none of that behavior at all last night, just that he was pumped up to be back at a night match at the USO and he was fist pumping a lot - but not in Santoro's face at all. This is not a guy Andy believes he is superior to or disrespects - in fact by things Andy says I think you clearly see he respects Santoro quite a lot and I think by going out and playing such a focused businesslike match, it shows that he respects Santoro's abiliites on court as well.

But really, first of all, are you suggesting that if he is winning easily, he should take his foot off the gas and ease up on his serve, when that's his big weapon, there are over 20,000 people and the adrenaline is rushing because he's pumped up about playing well? What if he's up 30-0 and throws in a few soft seves and ends up losing the break? I think serving for the match, no matter what the score, is not at all a time to ease up in any way. Andy serves big and he always serves big when he's serving out the match, as he always should. Second, the speed gun at the USO is jacked - Samantha Stosur "hit" a "121 mph" serve the other day, so I don't think Andy's serve was even 140mph. Third, Andy was just trying to win the point; it was clear - even apparently to some of his worst haters - that Andy wasn't trying to go at Santoro like that. He said he was trying to go up the T and missed the spot. So fourth, did that really justify Santoro's reaction? To just stand there and refuse to return his final serve? Say something to him at the net or in the locker room later, but I think to react like that was plenty immature on Santoro's fault - and I am a big big fan of his and I had hoped the match would have been much more entertaining and think it's unfortunate that it was not.

If you don't respect him, I really don't care and I'm sure 99% of andy fans won't :lol: But for me, I think the fact that he not only apologized at the net but also said that he would actively seek him out afterwards to apologize AGAIN shows to me that he has more than enough class to allow me to respect him.

Yet you took the time to respond to my message.:rolleyes:

Look, I didn't say he should have eased off. If you read my post, you'd see that I explicitly said I didn't think that. I'm just saying that if you compare the way Federer and Roddick handled playing Santoro this year, it's easy to see why so many people like Federer and not so many like Roddick.

Just for reference, here are ends of the two matches to which I'm referring:
tI8gxsQnvQw
7ayoGUUFnSY

Deboogle!.
08-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Yet you took the time to respond to my message.:rolleyes: And that somehow proves if I care if you respect him? :lol: Okay then :lol:

Look, I didn't say he should have eased off. If you read my post, you'd see that I explicitly said I didn't think that. I'm just saying that if you compare the way Federer and Roddick handled playing Santoro this year, it's easy to see why so many people like Federer and not so many like Roddick.

Just for reference, here are ends of the two matches to which I'm referring:Find me one instance when Federer and Roddick DID handle something similarly. Maybe Andy shouldn't act like federer. he's one of a kind, so's andy. I mean, if this was your only point, then, so what :lol: The vast majority here believes it's Santoro, not Andy, who was in error at the end of this match. If you still maintain Andy did something wrong or should've done something differently, again, I don't care, but I think it's very telling when even people who openly and voraciously dislike Andy don't even think he did anything wrong here :lol: Basically, you're just saying you don't like the way Andy acts on court whenever he plays, even if he's being - for him - relatively calm and undramatic. That's cool, but just say that :lol:

bluefork
08-29-2008, 12:26 AM
And that somehow proves if I care if you respect him? :lol: Okay then :lol:

I guess the fact that you wrote a long post just to argue with what I said led me to believe that what I said mattered to you in some way. But now that I think about it, practically every post I've ever seen from you on GM is in arguement with somebody. Maybe you like to contradict people for the hell of it. My mistake. Sorry.

Voo de Mar
08-29-2008, 12:33 AM
I remember Wimbledon's quarterfinal between Becker and Forget in 1991. Forget got a body-serve on chest and there was no problem :shrug: Santoro was in a very bad mood yesterday, he was hitting a few times the ball in dangerous way for the ball-boys and even once for the spectators. He should've been lucky that it wasn't a knock-out and laugh instead of pissed off.

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Well, I asked for body aim, and it seems we have a consensus (except for GlennMyrni, which actually makes it look even more as a consensus). So it's settled.

About other questions that arised:

-Santoro not returning the last point was ridiculous and unprofessional. It's his job to play tennis, a dream come true for a few lucky guys, and he has earned millions for that. So he has to return serve, no matter how humilliated he feels, or what his odds are. Not to mention he always has a chance to win the match.

-Roddick maybe aimed for the body. So what. Have you ever been at a few points from winning/losing a match? you must try your best and hardest shots, that's not being a bully. A few hours ago I lost a set I was leading by 4-1 and 30-0, so when you have a clear chance to finish, do it. That's not being a bully, it's actually his job.

About the guy that compared this to Federer, and how he was not a bully compared to Roddick, well, maybe Federer should have been a little bullier this year at Montecarlo and Hamburg finals. Finish your opponent when there's a chance, or you're not gonna win.

You can't even write and probably never touched a racket. I think you should rethink the way you address posters.

Again, I said there's no problem in a body serve. I don't think anyone would complain about that.

Action Jackson
08-29-2008, 04:33 AM
Storm meet teacup.

Rafalover15
08-29-2008, 10:18 AM
It is Fair play

It's game for fluff sakes it is a techincal shot so it is allowed

jayjay
08-29-2008, 05:21 PM
But he also didn't have to go for a 140mph serve at 6-2, 6-2, 5-2 30-0. He has a tendency to bully less players than himself by unnecessarily going for 140+ mph body serves, aiming for them at the net, or yelling at them after he wins a point.

I agree that Roddick does try to bully players, notably ones that are not part of the elite. He seems to need to get that edge on alot of guys more and more because his game is just not up to standard anymore to get the job done.

However, I can't possibly agree that "he didn't have to go for a 140mph serve". If I had a 140mph serve, I'd been going for it on each and every point that I could. It would be insane not to, if that was one of your weapons, and in Roddick's case one of very few - even more reason for him to want and need to go for it, irrespective of the scoreline.

Santoro should stop moaning and/or get out of the way.

Matt01
08-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Have you ever played tennis?

Yes, of course :rolleyes:

You probably never have, though, because your knowledge about tennis is close to zero.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Yes, of course :rolleyes:

You probably never have, though, because your knowledge about tennis is close to zero.

Yeah right.

Should have realised I wouldn't find any sense in a Faker and Gasquet fanboy.

Winston's Human
08-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Roddick is not the type of player who can afford to let up in a match -- even very late in a match. Otherwise, he runs the real risk of letting his opponent back in the match like the 2007 Wimbledon loss to Gasquet or the 2005 French Open loss to Acasuso.

~*BGT*~
08-30-2008, 02:34 AM
It's rude and it shows character. You can aim at someone but not at their body.

:confused: How does that work? :scratch: