Man, please let Tsonga have an injury free '09 - DEFEATS Ventura 6-7, 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Man, please let Tsonga have an injury free '09 - DEFEATS Ventura 6-7, 6-4, 6-2, 6-3

BlakeJamitis
08-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Watching this guy now, he can create shots from anywhere on the court. And you can tell he's still not completely healthy. Top 5 material completely, a fighter and would give us a fourth person to complete the 4-horsemen.

Henry Chinaski
08-27-2008, 07:52 PM
might as well wish for world peace while you're at it

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 07:53 PM
The Tsonganator is better than most top 10s now in normal conditions.

Merton
08-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Just hope he didn't return too early, there are no expectations here but one needs to be careful with knee injuries and the important thing is to stay healthy for a decent amount of time.

I agree Gu, Tsonga is definitely not the representative ball-basher/product of a tennis academy.

martine2
08-27-2008, 07:57 PM
"injury free" and "Tsonga" don't go together... wishful thinking I'm afraid but I wish it could be true...

martine2
08-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Just hope he didn't return too early, there are no expectations here but one needs to be careful with knee injuries and the important thing is to stay healthy for a decent amount of time.

I agree Gu, Tsonga is definitely not the representative ball-basher/product of a tennis academy.

Same here... he came back pretty quickly after knee surgery and this doesn't make me feel comfortable :scared:

EnriqueIG8
08-27-2008, 07:59 PM
He has huge potential but I don't think he will ever make it into the top 5.

BlakeJamitis
08-27-2008, 08:14 PM
He has huge potential but I don't think he will ever make it into the top 5.

That would be so sad because you can see all the talent. John McEnroe is practically drooling all over the guy. :lol:

Fumus
08-27-2008, 08:17 PM
The Tsonganator is better than most top 10s now in normal conditions.

That's exactly why he has 0 singles titles. :D

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 08:20 PM

So?

In days like these, when moonballing is the most efficient way to win titles, he's not gonna pile them up playing courageous, aggressive, technical tennis.

Fumus
08-27-2008, 08:26 PM
So?

In days like these, where moonballing is the most efficient way to win titles, he's not gonna pile them up playing courageous, aggressive, technical tennis.

Courageous? Aggressive? Technical?!?! Here I was thinking he was just another brainless ball basher. My mistake.

Watching him play James Blake might just be the next Kasparov vs. Topalov.

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Courageous? Aggressive? Technical?!?! Here I was thinking he was just another brainless ball basher. My mistake.

Tsonga is no ballbasher.

martine2
08-27-2008, 08:30 PM
He just won his 1st rd match hehe :banana:

rhinooooo
08-27-2008, 08:31 PM

He's not a ballbasher. There are times when he can play one-dimensional out of frustration. But the guy can hit flat, hit topspin, slice, and vary the pace of his shots. He's also a great volleyer, and knows when to sneak into the net. These injuries are killing him. He's still relatively inexperienced on the ATP tour.

Fumus
08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Tsonga >>> Federer + Nadal + Djokovic

Let me ask you, do you consider Safin a ball basher?

BlakeJamitis
08-27-2008, 08:36 PM
He's not a ballbasher. There are times when he can play one-dimensional out of frustration. But the guy can hit flat, hit topspin, slice, and vary the pace of his shots. He's also a great volleyer, and knows when to sneak into the net. These injuries are killing him. He's still relatively inexperienced on the ATP tour.

You summed it up beautifully. Anybody who watched his matches this year (way too few of them) would know this. Not to mention the match against Rafa.

Fumus
08-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Oh yea, and btw...doesn't he have a forum? Doesn't this belong in there? WTF...

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Tsonga >>> Federer + Nadal + Djokovic

Let me ask you, do you consider Safin a ball basher?

Safin is a ballbasher for sure. Has always been.

Safin, Tursunov, Blake = ballbashers. Plan A = hit hard. Plan B = hit harder.

Tsonga has way more variations to his game, especially when it comes to the forecourt.

Fumus
08-27-2008, 08:41 PM

Tsonga has way more variations to his game, especially when it comes to the forecourt.

I'm not saying ball bashing is bad, I personally enjoy that type of tennis. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

rhinooooo
08-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Yes, Safin is a ballbasher. He knows he is. Some of his success at Wimbledon was due to more patience and shot variety. Look at how he beat Lalo. IN the first set, Lalo's slice was fucking killing him, because Safin gets too frustrated and decides that his option is to belt the ball. After the rain delay, he didn't have any problems with it. He managed to incorporate a bit of topspin into his game, particularly off the forehand which meant he stayed in a few more rallies rather than hitting balls out of the stadium.

Fumus
08-27-2008, 08:43 PM

I'm not saying ball bashing is bad, I personally enjoy that type of tennis. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

finishingmove
08-27-2008, 08:48 PM
good thread.

Richardgm
08-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Congrats Tsonga.

But man; what's with shitty USA? I got to see a total of about 10 minutes...

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 08:50 PM

Ballbashing is kinda boring. Shows lack of technical aptitude (no variety).

Tsonga isn't a ballbasher mate.

l_mac
08-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Tsonga is no ballbasher.

Tsonga is primarily a basher. He played a great tournament at the Australian Open, but it's looking more likely that that was the exception rather than the rule.

I didn't think he was overly impressive today.

It's a shame he's had so many injuries, but his height, his style of play ... they will probably always be an issue.

Fumus
08-27-2008, 08:52 PM

Who needs variety?

FOREHAND! FOREHAND!! FORRRREHHHHAND!!! error.

God, I love tennis.

scarecrows
08-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Who needs variety?

i bet you're watching Tursunov right now

Ouragan
08-27-2008, 09:00 PM
If if gotta walk all the way to Compostella on my knees to make sure Tsonga is injury-free in 2009, then let it be so.

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Who needs variety?

God, I love tennis.

Or:

MOONBALL, MOONBALL, MOONBALL, MOONBALL, MOONBALL, MOONBALL!!!! OPPONENT MISTAKE!

finishingmove
08-27-2008, 09:01 PM
i bet you're watching Tursunov right now

tursunov tried to hit schwank 2 times with the ball... in 1 point.

:lol:

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 09:03 PM
tursunov tried to hit schwank 2 times with the ball... in 1 point.

I got that. :lol: What a freaking brainless player.

Clydey
08-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Tsonga is no ball basher. He can crack the ball for sure, but the kid has touch. He serves and volleys well. Not crazy about his slice, but he has some variety and has some great drop volleys. He ain't no Tursunov or Blake. He is the man the French should be pinning their hopes to. I wish Gasquet had it in him, too, but he seemingly doesn't.

Fumus
08-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Or:

MOONBALL, MOONBALL, MOONBALL, MOONBALL, MOONBALL, MOONBALL!!!! OPPONENT MISTAKE!

I think you need to write moonball about 15 more times for that to be an accurate point description.

Clydey
08-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Tsonga is primarily a basher. He played a great tournament at the Australian Open, but it's looking more likely that that was the exception rather than the rule.

I didn't think he was overly impressive today.

It's a shame he's had so many injuries, but his height, his style of play ... they will probably always be an issue.

Put it this way, in Australia he made Nadal look like a one-dimensional grinder. Tsonga has more to his game than almost any player out there.

Fumus
08-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Tsonga has more to his game than almost any player out there.

:smoke:

l_mac
08-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Put it this way, in Australia he made Nadal look like a one-dimensional grinder. Tsonga has more to his game than almost any player out there.

Nadal played like crap in Australia, and he had the tournament of his life. Why bring Nadal into this thread?

fast_clay
08-27-2008, 09:17 PM

loud n clear dude...

Ballbashing represents some pretty hardcore programming... as in... mind numbing drilling... for years... without exopression...

tsonga on the other hand, has some mad skillz and gears to go with it... and, funny thing is, he can ball bash better than the ball bashers themselves... if he would only choose to...

been doing some 'stay fit' voodoo for the big guy since january...

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 09:19 PM
I think you need to write moonball about 15 more times for that to be an accurate point description.

Waaay more, but it's boring to write.

Nadal is a one-dimensional moonballer... :shrug:

Clydey
08-27-2008, 09:19 PM

Nadal played like crap in Australia, and he had the tournament of his life. Why bring Nadal into this thread?

Nadal played the best hard court GS of his life and even said that he didn't play badly against Tsonga. As a Nadal fan, my intention wasn't to highlight his shortcomings. My intentions was to demonstrate that Tsonga is no ball basher. You can't say that Australia looks like it was the exception, as Tsonga has barely played since then.

The fact is that Tsonga has the ability to play in a variety of ways. And as good as guys like Nadal and Djokovic are, they have plan A and that's it. Plan A works a treat 90% of the time, but they don't have the ability to do what Tsonga can do. You won't see Nole or Rafa come in to the net and hit drop volleys, change up the pace or serve and volley. It's just not in their locker.

Clydey
08-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Waaay more, but it's boring to write.

Nadal is a one-dimensional moonballer... :shrug:

He's one dimensional, but he's not a moonballer. At least not in my opinion. We have different definitions of moonballing.

BgStallion
08-27-2008, 09:21 PM

So let me get this straight - a guy that has excellent groundies, goes to the net often and makes the most incredible drop volleys is just a ballbasher?

tennizen
08-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Nadal played the best hard court GS of his life and even said that he didn't play badly against Tsonga. As a Nadal fan, my intention wasn't to highlight his shortcomings. My intentions was to demonstrate that Tsonga is no ball basher. You can't say that Australia looks like it was the exception, as Tsonga has barely played since then.

The fact is that Tsonga has the ability to play in a variety of ways. And as good as guys like Nadal and Djokovic are, they have plan A and that's it. Plan A works a treat 90% of the time, but they don't have the ability to do what Tsonga can do. You won't see Nole or Rafa come in to the net and hit drop volleys, change up the pace or serve and volley. It's just not in their locker.

:haha::haha:

vincayou
08-27-2008, 09:23 PM

He has no titles because of his injuries. Injured in 2005 and 2006, he only managed to do his first full year in 2007 to arrive in top 50 and play ATP tournaments for the first time without wild cards.

Unlucky guy but he has a scary game. If his injuries are behind him, he will win big titles for sure. Probably the only player right now with Djokovic who is not afraid of Nadal.

Clydey
08-27-2008, 09:24 PM
:haha::haha:

Care to point out where I said something inaccurate?

Acer
08-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Welcome back Tsonga!

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 09:26 PM
He's one dimensional, but he's not a moonballer. At least not in my opinion. We have different definitions of moonballing.

Moonballer, by any definition.

fast_clay
08-27-2008, 09:27 PM
You can't say that Australia looks like it was the exception, as Tsonga has barely played since then.

before the AO i had serious questions about Tsonga... like i do about any french player...

but... for me, the simple fact that he beat Murray (who i rate) in the first round AND THEN... didnt go on to fold in rd 2 or 3 like 99% of other guys who get a big scalp in a 1st rd encounter...

no... he was one of those guys who makes a big win stick... and that is what set him apart in my mind from all other frenchies... just didnt seem to fold mentally... but.. actually grew into the tourney...

Henry Chinaski
08-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Watch Tsonga v Murray at the Australian Open and then try telling me he's a ball basher. You don't often see Murray outsmarted on court like that. Tsonga won almost all the intricate exchanges when both players were at the net. Murray very rarely loses that type of point against any other player.

fast_clay
08-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Moonballer, by any definition.

mate... i wouldnt exactly say nadal plays a moonballing style...

i would refer to it as 'extreme moonball' or 'super moonball' or something of that ilk...

he took moonball to a new level...

vincayou
08-27-2008, 09:29 PM
In a way, his injuries have made Tsonga stronger mentally than the average french player. He knows that he has no time to waste. If only that could stop now.

Clydey
08-27-2008, 09:30 PM
before the AO i had serious questions about Tsonga... like i do about any french player...

but... for me, the simple fact that he beat Murray (who i rate) in the first round AND THEN... didnt go on to fold in rd 2 or 3 like 99% of other guys who get a big scalp in a 1st rd encounter...

no... he was one of those guys who makes a big win stick... and that is what set him apart in my mind from all other frenchies... just didnt seem to fold mentally... but.. actually grew into the tourney...

It was the way he played the tournment as well. I mean, he basically served and volleyed for most of the match against Murray and looked like a natural. Thereafter, he employed different tactics as and when he needed to. When I watched his run, I wasn't thinking he was another flash in the pan like Baghdatis or Gonzalez. He offered much more.

l_mac
08-27-2008, 09:30 PM

:spit:

fast_clay
08-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Watch Tsonga v Murray at the Australian Open and then try telling me he's a ball basher. You don't often see Murray outsmarted on court like that. Tsonga won almost all the intricate exchanges when both players were at the net. Murray very rarely loses that type of point against any other player.

murray was in form too... at the peak of his junkball powers...

murray tried to dice him around and play a bit of quick n slow angled junk ball... but, i watched that match in its entirity... and you are right...

murray was the one who didnt have the answers....

Clydey
08-27-2008, 09:34 PM

You're saying Nadal isn't one dimensional? By all means point me to a match where Nadal didn't play the same way he always does.

Voo de Mar
08-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Tsonga :yeah: Ventura is 7-0 in tie-break this year (main tour).

Henry Chinaski
08-27-2008, 09:36 PM
this was a very entertaining match by the way. great showboating from both players and plenty of great net exchanges as ventura came in behind drop shots.

amaxing play from Ventura at *3-5 in the breaker with Tsonga serving. Big serve, short return and as Tsonga went to put away the fh Ventura turned his back on the play before spinning around and hitting a bh straight to the body which Tsonga couldn't do much with. he then hit another bh staight at him and Tsonga couldn't keep the volley in play.

l_mac
08-27-2008, 09:37 PM
You're saying Nadal isn't one dimensional? By all means point me to a match where Nadal didn't play the same way he always does.

This thread isn't about Nadal, so I will not discuss this with you here :D I will laugh if you make a comment that tickles me, but not derail the thread.

Allez JWT :rocker2:

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 09:37 PM
mate... i wouldnt exactly say nadal plays a moonballing style...

i would refer to it as 'extreme moonball' or 'super moonball' or something of that ilk...

he took moonball to a new level...

Super moonball, ultra moonball, power moonball... still a moonball. ;)

Clydey
08-27-2008, 09:40 PM
This thread isn't about Nadal, so I will not discuss this with you here :D I will laugh if you make a comment that tickles me, but not derail the thread.

Allez JWT :rocker2:

Good job. Evade the question when you don't have an answer.

By all means PM me and tell me a match where Rafa played a different way.

Merton
08-27-2008, 09:40 PM
I think we need a tennis dictionary thread, at least write down the terms "moonballer", "ball-basher", "pusher" and so on. :D

Henry Chinaski
08-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Nadal played right handed against Fed at RG this year iirc

elessar
08-27-2008, 09:42 PM
The hype maching humming nicely again after a 4 sets win against the mighty Ventura.
Some would say Jo's undeservig of so much hype.
But not me.

Clydey
08-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Nadal played right handed against Fed at RG this year iirc

And with his left arm tied behind his back.

fast_clay
08-27-2008, 09:46 PM
In a way, his injuries have made Tsonga stronger mentally than the average french player. He knows that he has no time to waste. If only that could stop now.

i was scratching my head wondering why FFT had invested so much time in giving endless WC's... i mean... if you think Donny Young is looked after by IMG, then, Tsonga took it to a new level... even after multiple injuries he'd come out and get a WC... and this, in a sea of French talent...

they must have seen somthing long ago... and, were rewarded in full mind you, in just one tournament this year...

i have a mate who played of the few under18 tourneys as Tsonga, he said he was just big... but, the way he floated about the court at that size was the most frightening aspect...

and yeah... i think he appreciates the chances he has been given, which is seen in the desperation in his play at times... dude fights... you only see resignation in the other top frenchies... ala, gasquet hacking away at the ball in the closing stages vs haas...

out of fed, murray, nadal, djok, tsonga... tsonga is the guy i have the most time for... dude has got everything and aint afraid to use it...

fast_clay
08-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Super moonball, ultra moonball, power moonball... still a moonball. ;)

it is the truth...

no matter how many extra RPM it carries...

a moonball is forever a moonball...

BlakeJamitis
08-27-2008, 10:04 PM
The hype maching humming nicely again after a 4 sets win against the mighty Ventura.
Some would say Jo's undeservig of so much hype.
But not me.

Well the thread wasn't started for hype but to wish goodwill on a young man who has shown glimpses of a beautiful game - now if he can just stay un-injured. :)

Andi-M
08-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Tsonga :banana: Yey im so happy for him :D

Jaap
08-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Watching this guy now, he can create shots from anywhere on the court. And you can tell he's still not completely healthy. Top 5 material completely, a fighter and would give us a fourth person to complete the 4-horsemen.

Yes, losing a set to Ventura on hard court is conclusive proof of this. :rolleyes:

Jaap
08-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Mentally strong?

It must have been another player that blew 3 mps against Simon in Rome, missing the easiest of smashes on one of them.

He choked like a bitch against Nadal in Indian Wells as well.

bambelbitz
08-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Yes!! Tsonga went through. I didn't know how he would react when he lost the first set, but he responded very well.

Sunset of Age
08-27-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm just happy to see him back on the tour after his nasty injury. Go Willie! :yeah:

fast_clay
08-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Mentally strong?

comparitively... ;)

not hard to fly like an eagle when u r surrounded by geese...

leng jai
08-28-2008, 02:10 AM
Whose Ventura? The guy from Virtua Tennis 1?

l_mac
08-28-2008, 02:15 AM
Whose Ventura? The guy from Virtua Tennis 1?

I believe he runs a Pet Detective Agency.

MaryX
08-28-2008, 02:30 AM
I believe he runs a Pet Detective Agency.

:D

Bernard Black
08-28-2008, 02:34 AM
The Tsonga Bandwagon rides again! Allez! :)

Rafa = Fed Killa
08-28-2008, 03:52 AM

Comedy at its best.

selyoink
08-28-2008, 04:20 AM
Tsonga :yeah: Ventura is 7-0 in tie-break this year (main tour).

That is an unbelievable considering how big a mug he is.

MrChopin
08-28-2008, 04:28 AM
... and the term ball-basher becomes nondescript.

GlennMirnyi
08-28-2008, 04:30 AM
That is an unbelievable considering how big a mug he is.

Very true, and especially considering his game of serve-dropshot is far from solid.

selyoink
08-28-2008, 04:33 AM
Good job. Evade the question when you don't have an answer.

By all means PM me and tell me a match where Rafa played a different way.

I'm sure that pm will never come. He is called Nadull for a reason because every match featuring him is the same boring garbage.

~*BGT*~
08-28-2008, 04:33 AM
Jojo :woohoo:

Chiseller
08-28-2008, 07:36 AM
If if gotta walk all the way to Compostella on my knees to make sure Tsonga is injury-free in 2009, then let it be so.

Mind if I join you?

Bazooka
08-28-2008, 10:29 AM
I see Tsonga nowhere near the top three until he shows consistency.

Even winning a slam won't grant you an entry into that club. You need 5.000 points nowadays to get close to the joker. That means final rounds in most slams, final rounds in most AMS, and some wins among those. Some players like Nalbandian, Tsonga or Murray can grab a win, but we're talking about a 12 month performance here.

moon language
08-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Oh wow get a load of this Tsonga bandwagon. The guy has delivered in one tournament in his entire career and he still didn't win it. Hey maybe he'll make the final one more time, that would be neat.

new-york
08-28-2008, 11:19 AM
yay.

stay healthy please.

GlennMirnyi
08-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm sure that pm will never come. He is called Nadull for a reason because every match featuring him is the same boring garbage.

Great post.

Fumus
08-28-2008, 04:21 PM

I know this has been discussed; Nadal is a boring champion due to high bouncing topspin consistency and Tsonga is the true GOAT cuz he ball bashes flat ball winners.

selyoink
08-28-2008, 04:47 PM
I know this has been discussed; Nadal is a boring champion due to high bouncing topspin consistency and Tsonga is the true GOAT cuz he ball bashes flat ball winners.

Tsonga does more than ball bash flat winners. Have you seen him at the net? I'm sure Nadull remembers him being at the net.

gogogirl
08-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Hey All,

T-Sonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa!

I love it. I love his quotes at the bottom of the first article.

I hope he goes far thru the draw.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080828.TEBBUTT28/TPStory/Sports

http://usopen.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/tsonga-powers-into-second-round/

Fumus
08-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Tsonga does more than ball bash flat winners. Have you seen him at the net? I'm sure Nadull remembers him being at the net.

I forgot just because you come to net in one match you are no longer a brainless ball basher. Blake is a great vollier...he's not a basher either...in fact, I remember when Safin beat Roger at the AO he kept coming to net too and that's how he ultimately won. WOW! Safin isn't a ball basher either.

I must have an incredibly distorted perception of the patterns of play and the central tendencies of certain players, as well the overall nature of ball striking and styles of baseline play.

selyoink
08-28-2008, 06:38 PM
I forgot just because you come to net in one match you are no longer a brainless ball basher. Blake is a great vollier...he's not a basher either...in fact, I remember when Safin beat Roger at the AO he kept coming to net too and that's how he ultimately won. WOW! Safin isn't a ball basher either.

I must have an incredibly distorted perception of the patterns of play and the central tendencies of certain players, as well the overall nature of ball striking and styles of baseline play.

Tsonga routinely comes into net during his matches. Blake and Safin very rarely do as your post said. If I used logic like yours I could probably say Nadull isn't a moonballer because maybe one time he hit a non-moonball shot. :rolleyes:

Fumus
08-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Tsonga routinely comes into net during his matches. Blake and Safin very rarely do as your post said. If I used logic like yours I could probably say Nadull isn't a moonballer because maybe one time he hit a non-moonball shot. :rolleyes:

:worship::worship: Brilliant.

Nadal is an all court shot maker. :)

GlennMirnyi
08-28-2008, 08:08 PM

I'm sure he frames a shot every once in a while.

Fumus
08-28-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm sure he frames a shot every once in a while.

:haha:

I tried to be witty, but Glenn you win this one.

Forehander
08-29-2008, 01:15 AM
lol he's so fun to watch. Tsonga all the way! whohooo!

And he still does ball bash a little bit. But his touch for tennis is possibly the best I've seen. I've always kept track of him playing doubles as well. His volleys are simply amazing. I hope he does remain injury free so his game may continue to mature without further lag.

Forehander
08-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Comedy at its best.

Comedy at its best :)

vincayou
08-29-2008, 03:34 PM
I highly doubt he will manage to beat Moya, or go far in the tournament unfortunately, he's not fit enough

FairWeatherFan
08-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Tsonga's demolition of Nadal is by far my favourite match of 08.
3r would be an excellent result for him here.

tennizen
08-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Tsonga's demolition of Nadal is by far my favourite match of 08.
3r would be an excellent result for him here.

:hug: And why wouldn't it be.