Arrogant or Humble? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Arrogant or Humble?

SheepleBuster
08-27-2008, 05:30 AM
So you hear stories about how this player is arrogant or just humble. For instance, Roger Federer was asked about why he thought people cheered for him the most among legends, and he said it was because he was the defending champion. JMac claimed it was more so due to him being an underdog here. The same can be said about Murray who claimed once that he was among the very best athletes in the world (that was like a year ago). Djokovic is arrogant, we know that. So basically it means that you can't be a nice guy and expect to challenge for honors, right? What do you all think?

flower14
08-27-2008, 06:10 AM
I think its simple why Roger got the most cheers. 1) He is the one crowd remembers the most. All other player were great long long time ago. Some people may had never even seen of their matches. EVERYBODY has seen Roger win. 2) Roger was the last one to walk. Anything that happens in last gets the most attention. So it was given that who ever would walk in end, would get the most cheers. Its pretty simple. 3) not to forget that Roger is the defending champion and he has for won last 4 years in NYC. so its given that crowd loves him.

i dont think Roger is arrogant at all. He does some time try to talk smart and all. But i think thats just his style.

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 06:51 AM
How come Federer is an underdog?

Action Jackson
08-27-2008, 06:54 AM
Irrelevant.

Every top player has to have a certain level of arrogance, or they wouldn't be there. The question is depending on the bias of the individual is whether it's self confidence, honesty or plain arrogance.

Toko
08-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Irrelevant.

Every top player has to have a certain level of arrogance, or they wouldn't be there. The question is depending on the bias of the individual is whether it's self confidence, honesty or plain arrogance.

I'd say someone like fed has the damn right to be plain arrogant if he wants to.

Action Jackson
08-27-2008, 07:05 AM
I'd say someone like fed has the damn right to be plain arrogant if he wants to.

I am not saying otherwise actually. It's simple a Federer fan will say he's being honest and a Federer hater would say he's being an arrogant bitch. There are many different responses to one set of actions, it's more dependant on the individual who chooses to see what they want.

Toko
08-27-2008, 07:27 AM
I am not saying otherwise actually. It's simple a Federer fan will say he's being honest and a Federer hater would say he's being an arrogant bitch. There are many different responses to one set of actions, it's more dependant on the individual who chooses to see what they want.

Ohh, I agree with you.
Think of it this way though: when fed goes on court, I will bet you 100%that he believes not only that he's the better player, but also that he is going to beat the other guy. And if asked, he says exactly that, then he's just being honest with himself. Hell, anyone who goes on court saying that "well, I don't know, my opponent is very good, I don't know if I'll win, I'll try though" is either:

1 - A loser.
2 - lying out of his teeth. I don't wanna hear that shit from players, you go on court, you better be able to say that you're going to own the other guy.

Action Jackson
08-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Of course Federer believes he is the man. I have already pointed out the problems with that, well the maximum self belief he and Nadal have when they are on the court.

It was the same for all the other great players, when they step on the court. As for how they are away from the court, that's their own business.

Gnomey
08-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Q. The reception that you received last night, the ceremony prior to the beginning of play, quite an enthusiastic reception that you received. You seemed very in control. If you could, just talk a little bit about the way you're feeling after both last night and tonight.

ROGER FEDERER: Look, you never know what kind of a reception you're going to get, especially like last night being next to so many other legends and champions and people that inspired me as a player, as a person, and then also people who were so influential in the game, you know.

And then to walk out and almost get a bigger roar than them, it's almost a little bit uneasy. At the same time it's very nice, and I appreciate it very much, especially not being an American.

Seriously if that's not humble, then I don't know what is.

Toko
08-27-2008, 07:43 AM
It was the same for all the other great players, when they step on the court. As for how they are away from the court, that's their own business.

Exactly. I don't think you judge a tennis player by anything else other than how he conducts and plays on a tennis court.

Topspin Forehand
08-27-2008, 08:19 AM
How come Federer is an underdog?
Nadal has outplayed or tied Fed in all slams this year. Djokovic has a slam on hard court. Both have achieved more than Fed so Fed is 3rd pick for US Open.

Bernard Black
08-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Nadal has outplayed or tied Fed in all slams this year. Djokovic has a slam on hard court. Both have achieved more than Fed so Fed is 3rd pick for US Open.

Federer is going for his fifth consecutive U.S. Open though. Nadal has won five slams in his whole career, Djokovic...just the one.

Can you see why it's stupid to call Federer an underdog? Especially considering he's also been in the last two slam finals so your conclusions aren't even based on current slam form.

Bazooka
08-27-2008, 09:03 AM
I doubt we can really draw any conclusions of how players really feel and what they think from the interviews.

It's ridiculous the amount of times they have to answer the same silly questions, they should be made after some matches only, or a weekly interview (one per tournament, two in slams). What can you say after 100 interviews per year? just the same stupid things. You will develop a trend in your statements and keep on it: either the essagerated humility of Nadal, stating that everyone he just played will soon be a top five, or the arrogance(?) of Federer simply by stating that he thinks he is favourite, when everyone was thinking the same and guess what, he was winning everything for four years.

jonathancrane
08-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Federer is going for his fifth consecutive U.S. Open though. Nadal has won five slams in his whole career, Djokovic...just the one.

Can you see why it's stupid to call Federer an underdog? Especially considering he's also been in the last two slam finals so your conclusions aren't even based on current slam form.

But Djoko and Nadal played better on the recent HC events, so they are favourites. I think Federer is the 3rd favourite . And Murray the 4th

Bernard Black
08-27-2008, 09:19 AM
But Djoko and Nadal played better on the recent HC events, so they are favourites. I think Federer is the 3rd favourite . And Murray the 4th

I never denied that. I consider them equal favourites personally. Just think it's asinine to consider Federer an underdog and too strong a word to use.

Anyway, back on topic, I agree entirely with Bazooka.

tennis2tennis
08-27-2008, 09:35 AM
What's so arrogant aboout saying you get the most cheer 'cause you're the defending champ? It's a logical conclusion to come to what else could he say "the others are a bunch of old farts who played during the jurassic age"

SheepleBuster
08-27-2008, 10:39 AM

Now I am a Federer fan, but I thought the first part came out really bad but he fixed it with his praise for other legends. It's not arrogant maybe but it's maybe too brutally honest.

SheepleBuster
08-27-2008, 10:41 AM
I never denied that. I consider them equal favourites personally. Just think it's asinine to consider Federer an underdog and too strong a word to use.

Anyway, back on topic, I agree entirely with Bazooka.

Well, John Mac does like drama. "Fedrer is an underdog, he is finished, Sampras is sleep tight" It's just like him.

bokehlicious
08-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Now I am a Federer fan, but I thought the first part came out really bad

Because he said he thought it was because he's the defending champ? :confused: I wonder what people like you would think if he answered something like "yeah, that's because I'm the overall best and that's normal people like me more"

Sunset of Age
08-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Now I am a Federer fan, but I thought the first part came out really bad but he fixed it with his praise for other legends. It's not arrogant maybe but it's maybe too brutally honest.

You state you're a fan of Feds but judging on your post you haven't been following him all too long as of yet, have you?

Roger is a honest and quite a bit clumsy dork, and he's been like that all the time he's been around. Nothing new.

Bernard Black
08-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Well, John Mac does like drama. "Fedrer is an underdog, he is finished, Sampras is sleep tight" It's just like him.

Haha, did McEnroe say that? Suppose he must be judging Federer by his own personal experience which is fair enough.

Jelena
08-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I think its simple why Roger got the most cheers. 1) He is the one crowd remembers the most. All other player were great long long time ago. Some people may had never even seen of their matches. EVERYBODY has seen Roger win. 2) Roger was the last one to walk. Anything that happens in last gets the most attention. So it was given that who ever would walk in end, would get the most cheers. Its pretty simple. 3) not to forget that Roger is the defending champion and he has for won last 4 years in NYC. so its given that crowd loves him.

i dont think Roger is arrogant at all. He does some time try to talk smart and all. But i think thats just his style.
So you think a #2, a #14 or even a #100 or #238 aren't great tennis players? Especially the #147 or the #264 aren't as much in the focus as the Top 20 are, but all of the players listed in the ATP-ranks are good tennis players. They all know how to hit the ball to outplay a recreational player with two bagels if there were serious matches.

SheepleBuster
08-27-2008, 12:15 PM
You state you're a fan of Feds but judging on your post you haven't been following him all too long as of yet, have you?

Roger is a honest and quite a bit clumsy dork, and he's been like that all the time he's been around. Nothing new.

I know Roger is a dork. His first statement awfully reminded me of U.S. Open 2005 when he said in front of Agassi that people should enjoy him because he won't be around for too long. Even McEnroe had to defend him then saying that "Roger's English is not perfect yet!" I mean I admire him for being brutally honest and saying what he thinks, but as much as I don't like Rafa, he would never come out and say, "I got the most cheers cuz I am God, no?" He would just never say that. Djokovic or Murray or Roddick would though.

FedFan
08-27-2008, 12:47 PM
So you hear stories about how this player is arrogant or just humble. For instance, Roger Federer was asked about why he thought people cheered for him the most among legends, and he said it was because he was the defending champion. JMac claimed it was more so due to him being an underdog here. The same can be said about Murray who claimed once that he was among the very best athletes in the world (that was like a year ago). Djokovic is arrogant, we know that. So basically it means that you can't be a nice guy and expect to challenge for honors, right? What do you all think?

Why looking for reasons, if it is obviously clear, that Federer is one of the most popular and respected tennisplayer ever?

Ask the fans and you will get the correct answer. ;)

Bazooka
08-27-2008, 02:05 PM
I have seen Roger Federer play live in Madrid against Feliciano López.

Feli was cheered by the public. But roger had 10x times that support. He's too good not to be liked.

marat_roger
08-27-2008, 02:11 PM

:lol: :worship:

Clydey
08-27-2008, 02:21 PM
I know Roger is a dork. His first statement awfully reminded me of U.S. Open 2005 when he said in front of Agassi that people should enjoy him because he won't be around for too long. Even McEnroe had to defend him then saying that "Roger's English is not perfect yet!" I mean I admire him for being brutally honest and saying what he thinks, but as much as I don't like Rafa, he would never come out and say, "I got the most cheers cuz I am God, no?" He would just never say that. Djokovic or Murray or Roddick would though.

No player would say that. Not even Djokovic. I don't think what Fed said was arrogant, nor do I think Murray saying that he's one of the besr athletes in the sport is arrogant. The same applies to when Nole says that players are catching up to Federer and that he wants to be world number 1. All 3 are just being honest. What's more, they are actually right in what they say. It's different when Leander Paes says something like that. That dude is just delusional.

As much as I like Nadal, I dislike his false modesty. Nadal knows how good he is. Look at what he has achieved by the age of 22. He is the world number 1, with multiple GS titles, MS titles and an Olympic gold medal. When he says that Djokovic will be the next world number 1 or that Federer will be number 1 again soon, I don't believe he means it. There is nothing wrong with him acknowledging that he has earned what he has achieved. I don't mind it when a certain degree of arrogance or confidence is justified. An athlete like Ali could get away with it because he had earned it and he was charismatic.

Had Federer bigged himself up and trashed the other US Open legends, I could see the point in calling him arrogant. The fact is that he was simply calling it as he saw it. If he got bigger cheers than the rest, there's no harm in him admitting that. That is as long as he doesn't punctuate it with "...and rightly so".

I find it pretty funny when players come out with seemingly cocky statement. Brad Gilbert wa commentating on Murray-Djokovic and told the story of when he asked Andy why he practices every tennis shot in the book, with the exception of the dropshot. He said Murray responded by saying, "I own the dropshot".

Personally, I think too big a deal is made out of what players say. If people make a fuss over it, they'll eventually stop doing it because of how the media portrays it. I'd much rather hear honesty than hear players give stock answers to every question.

SheepleBuster
08-27-2008, 02:25 PM
No player would say that. Not even Djokovic. I don't think what Fed said was arrogant, nor do I think Murray saying that he's one of the besr athletes in the sport is arrogant. The same applies to when Nole says that players are catching up to Federer and that he wants to be world number 1. All 3 are just being honest. What's more, they are actually right in what they say. It's different when Leander Paes says something like that. That dude is just delusional.

As much as I like Nadal, I dislike his false modesty. Nadal knows how good he is. Look at what he has achieved by the age of 22. He is the world number 1, with multiple GS titles, MS titles and an Olympic gold medal. When he says that Djokovic will be the next world number 1 or that Federer will be number 1 again soon, I don't believe he means it. There is nothing wrong with him acknowledging that he has earned what he has achieved. I don't mind it when a certain degree of arrogance or confidence is justified. An athlete like Ali could get away with it because he had earned it and he was charismatic.

Had Federer bigged himself up and trashed the other US Open legends, I could see the point in calling him arrogant. The fact is that he was simply calling it as he saw it. If he got bigger cheers than the rest, there's no harm in him admitting that. That is as long as he doesn't punctuate it with "...and rightly so".

I find it pretty funny when players come out with seemingly cocky statement. Brad Gilbert wa commentating on Murray-Djokovic and told the story of when he asked Andy why he practices every tennis shot in the book, with the exception of the dropshot. He said Murray responded by saying, "I own the dropshot".

Personally, I think too big a deal is made out of what players say. If people make a fuss over it, they'll eventually stop doing it because of how the media portrays it. I'd much rather hear honesty than hear players give stock answers to every question.

Well. I couldn't agree with you more on Nadal. It bugs me when he says, "I have won 10 French Opens but he is No. 1 and he is favorite, no? I have beaten him to the pole but he is No. 1 and favorite No? Best player in history." That's just plain wrong :devil: But Roger did embarrass Agassi that day :) And Brad Gilbert said it himself that Andy firmly believed that he was one of the best, if not the best, athlete in the world. Check your facts. He said it during Wimbledon.

Clydey
08-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Well. I couldn't agree with you more on Nadal. It bugs me when he says, "I have won 10 French Opens but he is No. 1 and he is favorite, no? I have beaten him to the pole but he is No. 1 and favorite No? Best player in history." That's just plain wrong :devil: But Roger did embarrass Agassi that day :) And Brad Gilbert said it himself that Andy firmly believed that he was one of the best, if not the best, athlete in the world. Check your facts. He said it during Wimbledon.

Huh? I didn't even mention Agassi. What do you mean? Someone else mentioned Agassi.

Clydey
08-27-2008, 02:36 PM

I know Gilbert said that about Murray. He may have said it at Wimbledon, but he also said it in Toronto. When did I say he didn't? I think you misread my post. I said that Andy was right when he said that. And he meant that he was one of the best athletes on the tour. And he is one of the best on tour.

Fumus
08-27-2008, 02:49 PM
You can't take Cyrus serious, he's basically posting anything right now for a response. He's already posted two BS threads this week about Roddick(which were closed) and now he's made one on Federer.

Don't feed the troll.

tangerine_dream
08-27-2008, 03:30 PM
You can't take Cyrus serious, he's basically posting anything right now for a response. He's already posted two BS threads this week about Roddick(which were closed) and now he's made one on Federer.

Don't feed the troll.
Cyruskingzilla hungry he eat, no? :shrug:

JolánGagó
08-27-2008, 03:40 PM
As much as I like Nadal, I dislike his false modesty. Nadal knows how good he is. Look at what he has achieved by the age of 22. He is the world number 1, with multiple GS titles, MS titles and an Olympic gold medal. When he says that Djokovic will be the next world number 1 or that Federer will be number 1 again soon, I don't believe he means it. There is nothing wrong with him acknowledging that he has earned what he has achieved.

He aknowledges his achievements, virtually in every interview he's given lately he says he's playing unbelievably, very very well and having an unbelievable year. The day he declares he'll be n.1 for long as he's clearly the best around, that will be the first day of his decline. How can you stay n.1 if you don't genuinely see any threat to your status? What will then be your motivation for the hard work it takes to win tournaments no matter how supremely talented you are? Uncle Toni knows being the best is something you have to prove every match at every tourny, so he's educated Rafa accordingly. It's called the Spartan Way by some.

SheepleBuster
08-27-2008, 03:41 PM
I know Gilbert said that about Murray. He may have said it at Wimbledon, but he also said it in Toronto. When did I say he didn't? I think you misread my post. I said that Andy was right when he said that. And he meant that he was one of the best athletes on the tour. And he is one of the best on tour.

Well. I don't think Andy is one of the best athletes. That was the point I was trying to make. But I thought he said he was one of the athletes in any sport. So he didn't say that?

SheepleBuster
08-27-2008, 03:44 PM

Don't feed the troll.

I don't think you can judge me by one rotten thread. I made a mistake of talking about what the Ted dude was talking about on TV. I do like Roddick as a person but like him to lose But other than that, I ain't here to make up stories or bring down the quality of discussion. I don't know why you are trying to discredit me like that. This thread is not about Federer man. I used him as an example.

bokehlicious
08-27-2008, 03:51 PM
He aknowledges his achievements, virtually in every interview he's given lately he says he's playing unbelievably, very very well and having an unbelievable year. The day he declares he'll be n.1 for long as he's clearly the best around, that will be the first day of his decline. How can you stay n.1 if you don't genuinely see any threat to your status? What will then be your motivation for the hard work it takes to win tournaments no matter how supremely talented you are? Uncle Toni knows being the best is something you have to prove every match at every tourny, so he's educated Rafa accordingly. It's called the Spartan Way by some.

Stop defending Rafito at any cost everywhere, you rarely make sense and won't make the haters change their mind anyway :)

Clydey
08-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Well. I don't think Andy is one of the best athletes. That was the point I was trying to make. But I thought he said he was one of the athletes in any sport. So he didn't say that?

No, he said that he's one of the best athletes on tour. Why do you think he isn't? He's considered one of the fastest on the tour and defends better than anyone with the exception of Nadal. These days he is also extremely fit. I don't think it's outrageous for him to claim to be one of the best athletes on tour. Just like it's not outrageous for Djokovic to claim to be a possible future number 1.

SheepleBuster
08-27-2008, 03:57 PM
No, he said that he's one of the best athletes on tour. Why do you think he isn't? He's considered one of the fastest on the tour and defends better than anyone with the exception of Nadal. These days he is also extremely fit. I don't think it's outrageous for him to claim to be one of the best athletes on tour. Just like it's not outrageous for Djokovic to claim to be a possible future number 1.

No. I mean if he said he was one of the best athletes in any sport, then that would be just a lie. But he is a good athlete on the tour. I give him that.

Corey Feldman
08-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Nadal is not arrogant, he's "with humble" ... but sometimes i think he's a bit too humble

the real arrogance is from a certain players parents and team.

JolánGagó
08-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Stop defending Rafito at any cost everywhere, you rarely make sense and won't make the haters change their mind anyway :)

Oh thanx for the advise but I do it for fun... so basically mind your own business, I'll mind mine :)

BigJohn
08-27-2008, 05:43 PM
I believe there is only one player in the top 3 that is arrogant to the extreme, but that player is neither Nadal or Federer. Both of them have a great humble attitude considering what they have achieved the last 4 years.

Vida
08-27-2008, 06:36 PM
I'd say Roger is the most arrogant one. Very bad looser as well.

SheepleBuster
08-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Well. I mean expect Blake and maybe Ferrer, most top tenners think they are God.

bambelbitz
08-27-2008, 10:17 PM

That's true!!!

Toko
08-27-2008, 10:31 PM
I'd say Roger is the most arrogant one. Very bad looser as well.

I'll take that any day over quitting while losing 2 sets to love then telling everyone how you were "in control" of the match.

drf716
08-28-2008, 03:39 AM
i like who i choose to like and they never get any derogatory terms from me. though arrogant and humble are just describing words right?

which leads me to say i don't like federer.