Fish def. Smeets 7-6 6-7 6-3 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Fish def. Smeets 7-6 6-7 6-3 6-4

Voo de Mar
08-27-2008, 01:17 AM
Nice effort Smeets after humilation in Melbourne and Paris this year. Fish waits for a winner from Grosjean-Mathieu match.

finishingmove
08-27-2008, 01:19 AM
smeets got some shots but his hand is not connected to his brain.

nice effort from fish to lose that set, i'd say, and if it had went to 5 we'd have a mugs match of the day, even with the hard competition today.

fast_clay
08-27-2008, 01:24 AM
was a good draw for smeets... just a shame he couldnt shake off his mug-ged nature and grow some brass ones for a few hours today...

Henry Chinaski
08-27-2008, 02:18 AM
strange style this smeets. seems very defensive in rallies then rushes the net out of nowhere. I didn't really get to see if he's any good there because fish either blasted a winner or more often, hit the ball about 5 yards out.

fish's fh was as fucking atrocious as usual out there.

Voo de Mar
08-27-2008, 02:21 AM
fish's fh was as fucking atrocious as usual out there.

Surprisingly he played three forehand winners in first set tie-break.

fast_clay
08-27-2008, 02:34 AM
strange style this smeets. seems very defensive in rallies then rushes the net out of nowhere. I didn't really get to see if he's any good there because fish either blasted a winner or more often, hit the ball about 5 yards out.

was the first time i've seen smeets in full... seems very uncanny indeed... has some skills...

but anyways, i was watching this match and thinking about an article i read about why stoltenberg left the national aussie coaching set up a few years back... one of his main arguments for leaving and setting up a business, literally in his own backyard, was that the system was geared to producing a ton of good players at 150-400 with the hope of one or two cracking the top 100 - where stoltz was just like : wha? lets just see how many top tenners we can make right...?

anyways... while watching smeets, he struck me of just this sort of player... produced for the fringes of a grand slam... no more... i would love to think he'll bloom late like many aussie players do but i dunno...

aussie_fan
08-27-2008, 03:37 AM
Pretty good effort for Smeets to get a set. Hopefully he builds from here. i didn't see the match though so can't say if it was fish playing awfully, and that's probably the case.

Sjengster
08-27-2008, 03:51 AM
I find it rather embarrassing to admit that during the duller parts of this match I was quietly humming "Smeets for my smeet, sugar for my honey" to myself, but once you spot a non-existent pun....