USO R1: [9] Blake outlasts Young 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO R1: [9] Blake outlasts Young 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4

MIMIC
08-26-2008, 04:35 AM
The match was really pathetic until the 4th set. Young's game rose dramatically and he started hitting winners everywhere. It was an incredible sight. Knifing the volleys, using that leftie forehand....it was just amazing. :worship:

But Blake applied the pressure in the 5th set and a break allowed Blake to run away with the 9th game (4-4, Young serving). Good job.

The Freak
WOW amazing stuff from both but especially Donald in those last two sets :eek:
James was up a break at 2-0 in the 4th and it looked like Donald was out of it.
Kudos to James though...hopefully Don can keep ut this brilliant play the rest of the year because that was really encouraging.
Nice opening night session from the Open :bowdown: :D

*John*
jesus james...

djoky
08-26-2008, 04:36 AM
WHY GOD WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donald sooo close.

JimmyV
AGHHHH I so wanted Donald to pull that match out. Great match nonetheless.

selyoink
What a mugs match. Blake's tennis acumen continues to astound me.

He has now beaten a cramping Santoro, a Grosjean that could no longer run, one of the all time chokers Mathieu, and Young in 5 sets. Four unbelievable victories.

Can't wait for the tennis genius to go out.

Deboogle!.
If nothing else, Young proved he has at least talent in terms of his abilities to hit the ball. Whether he'll ever put his head together to do it consistently, we'll never know. But he showed a lot today, good for him.

Also for all the talk of Young having a bad attitude and stuff, he was good about signing for the fans right after he lost, while james was on the court interviewing on tv. So good on him for that :yeah:

BAMJ6
08-26-2008, 04:37 AM
I sure hope that's the only 5 setter he has until Nadal

6 wins away from a first pitch at Shea Stadium for the Mets fan

Chip_s_m
08-26-2008, 04:38 AM
If nothing else, Young proved he has at least talent in terms of his abilities to hit the ball. Whether he'll ever put his head together to do it consistently, we'll never know. But he showed a lot today, good for him.

Also for all the talk of Young having a bad attitude and stuff, he was good about signing for the fans right after he lost, while james was on the court interviewing on tv. So good on him for that :yeah:

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised.

~*BGT*~
08-26-2008, 04:39 AM
Don :worship: That was fun to watch. :D

seljanin
Blake played well in 1st and 3rd set. The rest of the match from him.. uhuhuh...

Have to give some credit to Donald though. I had never seen him playing so well as he did in 4th and 5th sets.

Overall a good match. And good that James somehow managed to get through this one :)

Voo de Mar
Another brainless match by Blake - this time lucky only because Young was on the other side of the net... Blake is 3-1 in five-setters this year.

TMJordan
08-26-2008, 04:40 AM
Don :tears:

moon language
08-26-2008, 04:41 AM
Donald Young is ready for prime time. Golden Slam for sure next year for Young. New GOAT, 20 slams+ for sure.

prima donna
Another brainless match by Blake - this time lucky only because Young was on the other side of the net... Blake is 3-1 in five-setters this year.
Have you actually seen the match ? Young played good tennis.

selyoink

First 5 set win over a non-Frenchmen.

Young isn't totally useless. He at least seems to have good volleys.

Clara Bow

I agree with this whole post. I know it is very popular to bash Young on MTF- but he showed in the last two sets that he has some real freakin' talent. Imo he needs a new coach pronto because he has a good game and nice feel. I think when he is on, he is very fun to watch.

And he got down on himself less today- and stayed to sign autos, well done.

There was some fun tennis in the latter part of the match.

FERLKE
brainless ball basher won :o :mad:

he will beat pink Darcis :sad:

Lucinda
08-26-2008, 04:42 AM
That double fault at the end was the kicker.

tangerine_dream
08-26-2008, 04:42 AM
Another five set win for James :yeah: Another classic night time match at the USO also courtesy of James :worship: Great win for him. :banana: The last two sets showed that Young is no joke. He's starting to show his mettle.

BAMJ6
08-26-2008, 04:43 AM

WOuld you be calling Blake's match brainless if he was all white? If this was Roddick, you'll just say Young got up for him and he pulled it out at the end

SheepleBuster
Unfortunately for Nadal haters, this James blake will win a maximum of 6 games in 3 sets off Nadal

TMJordan
Another five set win for James :yeah: Another classic night time match at the USO also courtesy of James :worship: Great win for him. :banana: The last two sets showed that Young is no joke. He's starting to show his mettle.

Did you cream yourself over this match?

NADAL15SLAMS
08-26-2008, 04:44 AM
I wish Donald won, Blake's one of the only threats to Nadal. :wavey:

~*BGT*~
WOuld you be calling Blake's match brainless if he was all white? If this was Roddick, you'll just say Young got up for him and he pulled it out at the end

:unsure: Please don't pull the race card, and this is coming from a black poster. :angel:

Deboogle!.
Imo he needs a new coach pronto because he has a good game and nice feel.Agree completely. I've seen his mom at tournaments, and she seems like a perfectly nice woman, but not everyone is Richard Williams. Even if not a real coach, he at least needs someone experienced to come in and consult.

They were saying that Donald passed up a chance in the off-season a couple years ago to go to Mallorca and practice with Rafa. What idiocy is that. :lol:

The Freak

No no no, Don probably has a bad tie-break record, therefore Voo dislikes him.

BAMJ6
08-26-2008, 04:45 AM
Unfortunately for Nadal haters, this James blake will win a maximum of 6 games in 3 sets off Nadal

Blake did beat Nadal in 2005, so while Nadal may win, your 6 games in 3 sets will be way off

Voo de Mar

:confused:

Clara Bow

I agree. Give some credit to the opponent across the net even if gasp...it is Donald Young. In my opinion- Young tonight really showed for a more extended period of time than he has in other matches why there was an early fuss about him.

Deb- I agree that the Young camp turning down that opportunity to go to Mallorca was kina a wtf move.

Outside of his play, I like that Young didn't throw a pity party tantrum like he can. His attitude can be awful and tonight it was....not. He needs a coach to get his mental game in check. I seriously would love for Brad Gilbert to work with him. It may only work for a year- but I would like to see that mix. Darren Cahill would be my ideal- but I don't think he is coaching. :sad:

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 04:46 AM
I'm not a Young fanatic, but I gotta be honest. He played a great match, during most of the time I watched it (mid third set onwards). The kid can volley, that's for sure.

The Freak
08-26-2008, 04:47 AM
Donald has some sweet volleys :eek:
A little more consistency and he'll be right up there.

JimmyV
08-26-2008, 04:48 AM
I think half the people in this thread didn't even watch the match.

Young played great and really showed that he has some serious talent when he puts his game together. The kid is 19 years old, I don't get how grown people take so much joy in slamming him every chance they get and bringing up stupid crap he said 3 years ago.

JimmyV
08-26-2008, 04:49 AM
I'm not a Young fanatic, but I gotta be honest. He played a great match, during most of the time I watched it (mid third set onwards). The kid can volley, that's for sure.

Truth.

tangerine_dream
Did you cream yourself over this match?
Just the last two sets. :D

How much money did you lose? :kiss:

Voo de Mar

Of course, IMO Blake should have won this match 6-1 7-6 6-2, after saving setpoints at 2:5 in the second set had double break point and played a few crap points. Young played a good match because Blake allowed him to do it. The difference between these two guys is huge. I can't imagine Young playing 5th set against any other Top 10 player, it could have happened only against inconsistent Blake.

moon language
Donald has some sweet volleys :eek:
A little more consistency and he'll be right up there.

Not only that but he rarely comes in at the wrong time unlike so many of the players today. His baseline game is good too, he just needs to find a way to stay emotionally steady and focused all match.

SheepleBuster
08-26-2008, 04:50 AM
Young played great but Blake didn't play too hot. He double faulted twice to lose his serve in the 2nd, and the fourth set should've really gone to a tie-break. But this Blake, if he plays like this, has NO chance of beating Nadal. The Blake that beat Federer in Beijing can upset Nadal of course.

djoky
08-26-2008, 04:51 AM
:confused:

Black is half white and half black.

Fensler
08-26-2008, 04:51 AM

FYI: I'm fairly certain that Voo is a fan of James Blake. His comments in this thread were that of a frustrated fan commenting on a player who happened to use poor tactics in several segments of this match. Regardless, I don't recall Voo ever showing signs of racism in any of his posts.

TMJordan
08-26-2008, 04:52 AM
Just the last two sets. :D

How much money did you lose? :kiss:

I already lost all my money earlier today, no more to blown on Blake. :shrug:

BAMJ6
08-26-2008, 04:52 AM
Young played great but Blake didn't play too hot. He double faulted twice to lose his serve in the 2nd, and the fourth set should've really gone to a tie-break. But this Blake, if he plays like this, has NO chance of beating Nadal. The Blake that beat Federer in Beijing can upset Nadal of course.

Which is a better Blake the 2005 one or right now. Although i do agree he will lose in straights if he played Nadal after now

~*BGT*~
08-26-2008, 04:53 AM
Blake did beat Nadal in 2005, so while Nadal may win, your 6 games in 3 sets will be way off

So? Nadal beat James twice in a row on hard courts this year. :lol: Rafa is playing like a beast these past 2 months.

TMJordan
08-26-2008, 04:54 AM
Oh and as for the whole brainless ball basher thing, can I call you racist if you call Soderling one? Because he is white.

WTF? Blake is a brainless ballbasher, so is Soderling, it has nothing to do with the colour of skin.

+alonso
08-26-2008, 04:54 AM
Entertaining turn around from Young. :)
Sad that he couldn't pull this out.

MrChopin
08-26-2008, 04:56 AM

:speakles:

I only caught the match from the middle of the fourth on, but it was a pretty nice one from then on. Though there were a few tactical blunders and some ballbash UEs, it wasn't a verdasco-boredo UE bore-a-thon mugfest, and any ball not feet from the baseline was getting punished by both players. Young's FH was particularly dominant for a stretch.

Voo de Mar
Black is half white and half black.

This is very interesting...
I was confused because it was a suggestion that I don't appreciate Blake's win just because he is an Afro-American what is a complete bullshit. Blake is my favourite player but I'm critical against what I see - that's my normal attitude :shrug:

BAMJ6
So? Nadal beat James twice in a row on hard courts this year. :lol: Rafa is playing like a beast these past 2 months.

Hmm, i hadn't noticed because of the Giants Super Bowl run and the Mets this year. Thanks for telling me

SheepleBuster
08-26-2008, 04:58 AM
Which is a better Blake the 2005 one or right now. Although i do agree he will lose in straights if he played Nadal after now

Which version? The Blake who showed up tonight was the one who lost to Nadal earlier this year. The Blake at Beijing was Ninja Blake though he got discouraged by Gonzalez loss.

Toko
08-26-2008, 04:59 AM
Hmm, i hadn't noticed because of the Giants Super Bowl run and the Mets this year. Thanks for telling me

Asswipe, apologize to voo for calling him a racist for no reason.

BAMJ6
08-26-2008, 05:02 AM
Asswipe, apologize to voo for calling him a racist for no reason.

I don't know how that went past the censors but yes i do apologize when i'm wrong.

I thought he wasn't a Blake fan. and when i read brainless ball basher, i took exception thinking it was a racist remark. Since he's a minority and i am too. I am sorry to Voo

~Maya~
08-26-2008, 05:05 AM

Uncalled for
:smash:

Toko
08-26-2008, 05:06 AM
I don't know how that went past the censors but yes i do apologize when i'm wrong.

I thought he wasn't a Blake fan. and when i read brainless ball basher, i took exception thinking it was a racist remark. Since he's a minority and i am too. I am sorry to Voo

What kind of stupid reasoning is that? You're just looking to get offended anywhere you can find the oppurtunity, don't you?

P.S, Blake IS a mindless ball basher, if you really are his fan, you should know that by know.

Blake =

1.Close eyes.
2.Bash ball.

PROFIT!!!

Voo de Mar
08-26-2008, 05:10 AM

Some of you guys are oversensitive about skin colour. I remember that last year I rework Tangerine's signature - Blake's emoticon from normal position into upside down one and someone called me a racist :( - but my rework was just a comment about American team that Blake is the weakest link. Fortunately Deboogle!. understood me very quickly :yeah:

~Maya~
08-26-2008, 05:14 AM
Congrats to Blake
Donald had some great moments. He was on fire in the last two sets. Audience was very involved. That might have done the trick. Good job by both

2moretogo
08-26-2008, 05:31 AM
This is so true. After seeing him in DC and be overwhelmed after he won his 1st round match, and then refusing all fans after his second round match to Isner, I was really surprised to see him signing.

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised.
agreed.

I agree with this whole post. I know it is very popular to bash Young on MTF- but he showed in the last two sets that he has some real freakin' talent. Imo he needs a new coach pronto because he has a good game and nice feel. I think when he is on, he is very fun to watch.

And he got down on himself less today- and stayed to sign autos, well done.

There was some fun tennis in the latter part of the match.
This was also a change. And it was nice to see his box actually standing up and applauding him for once. I was telling a friend, this is one of the few times I agree with J. Mac. It is time for a world class coach. Donald doesn't even practice with the top 100 players. It is a same really.
Agree completely. I've seen his mom at tournaments, and she seems like a perfectly nice woman, but not everyone is Richard Williams. Even if not a real coach, he at least needs someone experienced to come in and consult.

They were saying that Donald passed up a chance in the off-season a couple years ago to go to Mallorca and practice with Rafa. What idiocy is that. :lol:

His mom does seem like a nice woman, so does his father, but come on, Donald needs to be hitting with players that are better than him on a regular basis, which I don't think he is at the moment.

I agree. Give some credit to the opponent across the net even if gasp...it is Donald Young. In my opinion- Young tonight really showed for a more extended period of time than he has in other matches why there was an early fuss about him.

Deb- I agree that the Young camp turning down that opportunity to go to Mallorca was kina a wtf move.

Outside of his play, I like that Young didn't throw a pity party tantrum like he can. His attitude can be awful and tonight it was....not. He needs a coach to get his mental game in check. I seriously would love for Brad Gilbert to work with him. It may only work for a year- but I would like to see that mix. Darren Cahill would be my ideal- but I don't think he is coaching. :sad:

As far as the Rafa/Malloraca thing goes, having gotten more facts from J. Mac (the offer was 2 years ago) I kind of agree. I mean DY is just beginning to be ready now, can you imagine 2 yrs ago? That would have been a wasted a trip, imho, especially since DY was concerned at Indian Wells that Rafa balls would be over his head this year.

Merton
08-26-2008, 05:49 AM
Entertaining match to watch, especially as the outcome was in doubt at the 5th set. Young played very well from the 4th set on, he has an original style and it is high time to get some good guidance to utilize his capability. At the end, the difference in experience cost him the match.

Deboogle!.
08-26-2008, 05:50 AM
As far as the Rafa/Malloraca thing goes, having gotten more facts from J. Mac (the offer was 2 years ago) I kind of agree. I mean DY is just beginning to be ready now, can you imagine 2 yrs ago? That would have been a wasted a trip, imho, especially since DY was concerned at Indian Wells that Rafa balls would be over his head this year.no way. practicing with a top player could never be a mistake, because if nothing else he would see how Rafa conducted himself on the off-season. a lot of these young guys who go to davis cup or go spend a week with roddick at his house always say the biggest thing they learned was not between the lines on the court, but how they handle themselves, how hard they work in general, etc. That could never have been a mistake for Donald to experience that. But he didn't. And if I'm not mistaken, he had a long history of shunning advice from his more senior American players who reached out to him, too. I really hope he takes control of his career sooner or later - he's the one hurting at the moment.

Laba
08-26-2008, 05:53 AM
This turned out being a much better match than I expected it to be.

Big props to Don for the effort he put out on the court, his play in the last two sets were the best I've ever seen from him. He showed that he really has the potential to expand and become greater, but for that I feel he needs a new coach.

With a better second serve, a more focused and positive attitude, improved fitness and some work on his consistency... the kid could do really well.

Loving his volleys, agility and fearlessness in charging the net. It was very fun to watch.

Andre♥
08-26-2008, 06:04 AM
The match was kinda exciting and Young showed some good tennis since... ever?

The problem for him is that I don't think he will ever be consistent.

Action Jackson
08-26-2008, 06:09 AM
Time for Young to develop physically and of course he has to play and train against better players, then he isn't going to improve.

There were some good signs there, he lost this match through a lack of experience.

ChinoRios4Ever
08-26-2008, 06:19 AM
I still trusting in DY, good match today. That was close :yeah:

jcempire
08-26-2008, 06:19 AM
Donald Young is ready for prime time. Golden Slam for sure next year for Young. New GOAT, 20 slams+ for sure.

Is Young improving the much more, or James sucks this match

ChinoRios4Ever
08-26-2008, 06:25 AM

IMO at times DY make James look bad. The kid has game for sure.

Sparko1030
08-26-2008, 06:45 AM
Great match to watch :yeah: I was rooting for Young, but I am sure we will be seeing more of him in the near future!

NYCtennisfan
08-26-2008, 06:45 AM
Really good match for Young especially considering how he got blown off of the court in the 1st and 3rd sets. His BH has always been good and his CC BH can be a thing of beauty. His rally BH down the middle of the court is also effective as he hit it about a foot from the baseline for 2 consecutive sets.

His problem is that he just can't get enough free points on his serve and has to rally to win every single point and apart from Nadal and Agassi, not too many players can have a lot of success doing that. He also didn't play tactically well at times, hitting way too many times to Blake's FH and returning to Blake's FH. He doesn't use his lefty FH effectively enough to draw opponents off of the court. He's not really good at playing that game, but it would've been very effective against James. If he did, he could effectively use his CC BH and net skills to win a lot of points and do this against many other opponents.

All in all, good signs for Young in this match.

Merton
08-26-2008, 06:59 AM
Really good match for Young especially considering how he got blown off of the court in the 1st and 3rd sets. His BH has always been good and his CC BH can be a thing of beauty. His rally BH down the middle of the court is also effective as he hit it about a foot from the baseline for 2 consecutive sets.

His problem is that he just can't get enough free points on his serve and has to rally to win every single point and apart from Nadal and Agassi, not too many players can have a lot of success doing that. He also didn't play tactically well at times, hitting way too many times to Blake's FH and returning to Blake's FH. He doesn't use his lefty FH effectively enough to draw opponents off of the court. He's not really good at playing that game, but it would've been very effective against James. If he did, he could effectively use his CC BH and net skills to win a lot of points and do this against many other opponents.

All in all, good signs for Young in this match.

Totally agree, Young needs to develop patterns of winning points, he has good instincts but improvization is not enough in today's game. The serve can improve incrementally the way Agassi (and Nadal) have improved but there is a lot to develop in the ground game, the key is to build a support team that will allow him to do so.

Scotso
08-26-2008, 07:03 AM
Young, in spurts, played better than I've ever seen him play. That's good news for him.

Unfortunately, again, he managed to lose a match that he had the momentum to win.

Lee
08-26-2008, 07:29 AM
no way. practicing with a top player could never be a mistake, because if nothing else he would see how Rafa conducted himself on the off-season. a lot of these young guys who go to davis cup or go spend a week with roddick at his house always say the biggest thing they learned was not between the lines on the court, but how they handle themselves, how hard they work in general, etc. That could never have been a mistake for Donald to experience that. But he didn't. And if I'm not mistaken, he had a long history of shunning advice from his more senior American players who reached out to him, too. I really hope he takes control of his career sooner or later - he's the one hurting at the moment.

Young will benefit tons with a better coach. Someone like Cahill, Anacone, PMac, etc. Unfortunately, they probably looked at the Williams and think that Richard William has even less coaching credential and looked at the siters, thus, no need for a more experienced coach at the ATP level. But Young is playing in ATP, not WTA :tape:

Rafalover15
08-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Good Blakie

Deathless Mortal
08-26-2008, 09:31 AM
DY :sobbing:

Congrats to Blake, not a long time ago he couldn't win a 5setter.

Jaap
08-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Both are idiots.

Its a shame both couldn't be losers.

Ivanatis
08-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Don :(

good effort though

PiggyGotRoasted
08-26-2008, 10:27 AM
5 sets
4 spectators
3 hours
2 mugs
1 match

SheepleBuster
08-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Donald is following in the foot steps of his heroes Blake Ginepri and Roddick. Choking five setters are normal for all us players

Stensland
08-26-2008, 10:56 AM
ok now i'm completely confused about the donald's skills. when i watched him play monfils in cincy i was thinking it'd take a year or two for him to retire. now that i've watched parts of yesterday's match i gotta say that the stuff he displayed out there was pretty impressive. his shots had such great pace, completely unlike his performance in cincy where he could barely make monfils run. if he can keep up the current level and keep the obvious confidence for some months he might be able to do some damage this fall. does anyone know his schedule? is he going to go to some european indoor tournaments?

cobalt60
08-26-2008, 11:14 AM
I thought this match would never end last night. Congrats to both but man what Young could do if he had a well paid knowledgable coach. Needs to mature and learn tactics.

Angle Queen
08-26-2008, 11:43 AM
While I was mildly entertained in the last two sets...I couldn't help but thinking here were two guys just slugging it out. They both just seemed to be trying to hit the ball as hard as they could...with little thought to point construction.

Rod Laver had some nice/accurate comments about James' game and I was pleased that Mac and his booth buddy showed some restraint in chatting...and just let the match unfold.

:hatoff: to Donald for picking up his game...and to both gentlemen for coming forward to net when it seemed appropriate (for their games).

All things considered, a nice Opening Night match.

Venle
08-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Good for Blake :)

Snowwy
08-26-2008, 12:03 PM
He has now beaten a cramping Santoro, a Grosjean that could no longer run, one of the all time chokers Mathieu, and Young in 5 sets. Four unbelievable victories.

Notice how everyone else is always hurt though and he's not..doesnt that say something about his fitness?

MacTheKnife
08-26-2008, 12:22 PM
The unfortunate thing for Blake is that his ball bashing works just enough that he is encouraged to continue doing it. If he would begin to lose matches like last night, maybe he would give some thoughts to some alternate tactics. It's obvious he "can" do it, but he just "won't". His answer to missing a bashed shot is to bash the next one harder !! If Rod Laver is going :confused:, that should tell you something.

ok now i'm completely confused about the donald's skills. when i watched him play monfils in cincy i was thinking it'd take a year or two for him to retire. now that i've watched parts of yesterday's match i gotta say that the stuff he displayed out there was pretty impressive. his shots had such great pace, completely unlike his performance in cincy where he could barely make monfils run. if he can keep up the current level and keep the obvious confidence for some months he might be able to do some damage this fall.

Welcome to the world of Donald Young. He goes from brilliant to moron as fast as a speeding bullet. He played the best tennis last night I've ever seen him play, "at times". "If he can continue to play that well", how many times has that said about Donald. He needs to get himself a quality coach ASAP, and for God sakes, don't watch James Blake play. Donald already has a tendency to do a little bashing of his own and the last thing he needs to do is go down that road at 19.

krystlel
08-26-2008, 12:27 PM
That was a very enjoyable match to watch. Young's game is very nice to watch when he's playing well like he did in the last couple of sets. I've now changed my mind about him, although obviously I haven't seen him play that much before.

The match started off with both players making awful shot selections and trying to hit flashy winners, but Young started to get the balance right later, played a lot better tactically (although still a couple of poor decisions from time to time like approaching the net by hitting to Blake's forehand) and used his forehand to great effect, which is a great shot to watch. It looked like Blake was getting more and more impatient in the beginning of the fifth set, hitting a lot of shots hard straight into the net but in the end, it was really just Young's errors that made the difference when he was probably playing slightly better overall. There was a break point in the fifth set which Young saved with a broken racquet string, and he eventually held that game but unfortunately was broken the next.

Langers
08-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Very impressed with Young. :)

As for Blake... :retard: Another dumb match.

2moretogo
08-26-2008, 01:03 PM
no way. practicing with a top player could never be a mistake, because if nothing else he would see how Rafa conducted himself on the off-season. a lot of these young guys who go to davis cup or go spend a week with roddick at his house always say the biggest thing they learned was not between the lines on the court, but how they handle themselves, how hard they work in general, etc. That could never have been a mistake for Donald to experience that. But he didn't. And if I'm not mistaken, he had a long history of shunning advice from his more senior American players who reached out to him, too. I really hope he takes control of his career sooner or later - he's the one hurting at the moment.

Yes it is always good experience, but my point was that Young was not ready for that experience at all. 2 years ago that was not the DY camp's plan of total tennis domination. They (his parents and team) thought it would be best for them to hide the ball so to speak, and make a big splash with tourney wins. The latter didn't happen and unfortunately for Young he's got/gotten bad advice from the people closest to him. Which only in the long run hurt DY. IF he can end up being a champion after all these missteps I will be amazed, but throughly happy. I still think that the next step can't happen without a little separation from his parents.

leng jai
08-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Notice how everyone else is always hurt though and he's not..doesnt that say something about his fitness?

Or maybe Santoro and Grosjean are getting their pension soon?

EnriqueIG8
08-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Donald finally showing his talent!

Clydey
08-26-2008, 01:48 PM
This is what I imagine Donald Young sounds like when he speaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGosrctwpiU&feature=related

sheeter
08-26-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm surprised that Young apparently played so well. It's a nice surprise.

tennizen
08-26-2008, 02:01 PM
I saw this match till the end of third set. I had no clue it would go into a fifth. Find both players extremely annoying although my estimation of Donald Young went up a bit with the way he was playing yesterday.

selyoink
08-26-2008, 02:09 PM

Young is not as awful as people say but Blake was the factor in this match. When he was on Young got demolished. When he was off Young used his brain to fluster Blake. When Blake was hitting a bunch of errors his solution was to try and hit the ball harder with mixed results.

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 03:05 PM

Pure crap.

If Phau got more than 12 games, Blake is doing much better.

tennizen
08-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Pure crap.

If Phau got more than 12 games, Blake is doing much better.

Yes that's exactly how tennis works.

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Yes that's exactly how tennis works.

Yeah, Phau the clown will play better than Blake against Nadull.

Keep dreaming, fangirl.

alfonsojose
08-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Wow. Young backhand was good. The forehand could improve. But tactics :smash: and Blake :help:

Running:Free
08-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Some fantastic tennis in the fourth set. Young at the net :yeah:

gogogirl
08-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Hey All,

Before I forget, Jaap - if you want to see a joke, loser and idiot, please look in the mirror.

I too saw The Don get destroyed by Monfils the other week - and I was like - :eek:. But, I also remembered how well he played at last year's US Open (the two matches he played), so I know he has potential. He seemed more nervous in Cincy than he did early on last night at the US Open. Wow! I was like, way to go son when he won the fourth set. I think playing under the lights got him going when it counted. He was going toe to toe with James. I was so glad he got to show some of his talent and skills.

James can hang with and take it to anyone when he is on. In the second set, his serve let him down in that one game. Playing a sloppy game, not bearing down and concentrating is not going to get it. I don't care who is playing. After Donald won the second, J.B. thought "Ok - I can't lose to this kid." But he almost did. The biggest reason was because Donald played his heart out, upped his level and came up w/some shots and game in the 2nd and 4th sets, and stayed just as close in the fifth.

By the fifth, I didn't know who would pull it out - and just thought to meself, may the best man on the night win it.

"WAY TO GO JAMES AND DONALD" "Y'ALL HAD THE FANS ROCKIN' AND A ROLLIN'"

Johnny Groove
08-26-2008, 04:38 PM
5 sets
4 spectators
3 hours
2 mugs
1 match

Its so much cooler to bash two guys playing their hearts out and call them mugs than to actually show any signs of enjoying the sport :rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 05:43 PM
5 sets, 4 intelligent points, 3 hours, 2 mugs, 1 match, no winner.

Deboogle!.
08-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Yes it is always good experience, but my point was that Young was not ready for that experience at all. 2 years ago that was not the DY camp's plan of total tennis domination. What I'm saying is that an experience like that is always good for a young player. I don't see it as an aspect of readiness - he was trying to play on the pro tour, so he should've been ready to see how the pros handle themselves. It would have done him a world of good no matter what, even if his game wasn't nearly at Rafa's level. Michael McClune struggles to win matches on any level of the tour, but he still went to Dubai to hit with Roger when Roger asked. The fact that his parents were so myopic and closed-minded about it all could end up to really hurt him. Passing up opportunities like that, or like going down to Austin to train with Andy or even just listen to advice is really just poor.

bambelbitz
08-26-2008, 09:37 PM
At 5:30 a.m. CET I was really scared that Blake might be done for this year's USO. But he finally managed to get through Donald, who played some unbelievable tennis in the last two sets!

SheepleBuster
08-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah, Phau the clown will play better than Blake against Nadull.

Keep dreaming, fangirl.

I guess you didn't watch the 6-1 beat down Nadal put on Blake earlier this year. Nadal was having a feast with Blake's serves that day. If Blake serves as poorly as he did against Young, I'd give him 6 games max. Now if he comes out on fire, crushing aces, then that's another story. But something tells me we won't see Blake vs. Nadal. Blake will probably choke in the next round.

bambelbitz
08-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I guess you didn't watch the 6-1 beat down Nadal put on Blake earlier this year. Nadal was having a feast with Blake's serves that day. If Blake serves as poorly as he did against Young, I'd give him 6 games max. Now if he comes out on fire, crushing aces, then that's another story. But something tells me we won't see Blake vs. Nadal. Blake will probably choke in the next round.

Even if I don't want to admit it as a James Blake fan, I have to agree. Yesterday was a very poor performance by Blake, only in the first James showed his real potential. He has to improve to reach the second week of the tournament.

SheepleBuster
08-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Even if I don't want to admit it as a James Blake fan, I have to agree. Yesterday was a very poor performance by Blake, only in the first James showed his real potential. He has to improve to reach the second week of the tournament.

Blake is really fun to watch for me, but he has lost to Haas, Federer, Agassi in the past three years. He should've beaten Haas and Agassi really. In 2005, he had an excellent draw to reach the finals. He would've beaten Ginepri that year. Poor guy.

bambelbitz
08-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Blake is really fun to watch for me, but he has lost to Haas, Federer, Agassi in the past three years. He should've beaten Haas and Agassi really. In 2005, he had an excellent draw to reach the finals. He would've beaten Ginepri that year. Poor guy.

Don't remember me of that terrible day, when Blake lost the most important match of his tennis career. I think if he had won that one against Agassi and after that against Ginepri he would have had a chance against Federer in the final. But everything came different!

SheepleBuster
08-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Don't remember me of that terrible day, when Blake lost the most important match of his tennis career. I think if he had won that one against Agassi and after that against Ginepri he would have had a chance against Federer in the final. But everything came different!

I still remember it like it was yesterday. 2 sets to love up on Agassi. Completely dominating him. Then he choked. I watched blake the next year hoping he would get his revenge. Then the next year. Then this year. Unfortunately, if he doesn't get it done this year (which he won't it seems), Blake will be remembering that match too! The match that could've led him to his first GS Final or maybe even win. Who knows.

Toko
08-26-2008, 11:37 PM
I still remember it like it was yesterday. 2 sets to love up on Agassi. Completely dominating him. Then he choked. I watched blake the next year hoping he would get his revenge. Then the next year. Then this year. Unfortunately, if he doesn't get it done this year (which he won't it seems), Blake will be remembering that match too! The match that could've led him to his first GS Final or maybe even win. Who knows.

Get real. Beating Ginepri, maybe. Beating a 2004-07 fed? Zero chance.

MacTheKnife
08-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Agree completely. I've seen his mom at tournaments, and she seems like a perfectly nice woman, but not everyone is Richard Williams. Even if not a real coach, he at least needs someone experienced to come in and consult.

I just have a different perspective. I think Venus and Serena have won the way they have in spite of Richard Williams instead of because of him. I shudder to think how many slams and titles they would have if they'd had quality coaching. I certainly hope Young choses another path.

IAMlegend
08-27-2008, 07:45 AM
I just have a different perspective. I think Venus and Serena have won the way they have in spite of Richard Williams instead of because of him. I shudder to think how many slams and titles they would have if they'd had quality coaching. I certainly hope Young choses another path.

Totally agree. Serena, especially, under the right tutelage could have been the greatest ever.
Tiger Woods' dad had the right idea; when Tiger was still an adolescent he turned him over to one of the finest swing coaches in the game.
Good luck to DY.

quadque
08-27-2008, 03:14 PM

There is so much garbage on this site. If the premises were true the discussions would have more merit though. The fact of the matter is that Donald has spent some time with the top players. He was on the practice Davis Cup team, were he actualy beat Blake and Roddick in practice. Last year he spent a week in Texas with Roddick. Donald is a very young man that is very talented.

Unlike the women you can not expect for a child to compete with grown men no matter how talented he is. The pressure for him to succeed is not something any of you would be able to handle. After all lets face it all these top US coaches you speak of are thee ones who have over seen the decline in US tennis for the last 20 years.

You all want some one to cheer for, USA Tennis wants a new star. Donald and Illona want to raise a son to be a man. If they succeed then he most likely will be the great star that he has the potential to be. But the most important thing for them is to make sure he matures into a successful man. Besides the fact that the great tennis you all have commented on is the game they teach to every one of their students. (See Taylor Townsend Girls 12s) Great ground strokes and tough volleying. Its a style of game that "The Great" US coaches don't understand and can't teach.

The realty is that Donald does need to hit with and be supported by the better US Players not the "Tennis Establishment" as dictated by P and J Mac. There is a Players Club that you have to Play your way into. Donald is now Playing his way into that club. The Players now know and want to play with him, and are starting to accept him. But he still does not have to bow to the J Mac and P Mac regime.

Black Adam
08-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Does anyone have a video of this match??

idolwatcher1
08-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Does anyone have a video of this match??
I recorded the entire match on DVD. I watched most of the match as it happened, but I also did other things around the house during the less entertaining parts :lol: I haven't put the match on my computer yet though. I figured someone else would have put the match up already.

It always amuses me how 100 posters can watch the same match, but you'll read contradictory assessments of what and how each player did. :p

I think people often overlook the various different aspects involved in tennis matches. Tennis is not a chess game... a chess game isn't physical, nor does it contain the various emotional and behavioral entities that a tennis match does. In tennis, the emotional or physical state of a player could make the difference between him hitting a clean serve or a double fault on a crucial point. So many things to consider in tennis, and so few people doing the considering. ;)

Ball-bashing... Isn't that when you hit the ball with a lot of pace? Why is it that ball-bashing always seems to be deemed "mindless"?? As if you can't purposely construct a point by speeding up the pace of the ball so that your opponent has less time to retrieve or keep the ball in play? Is that mindless? Or maybe it's the underlying assumption that the player bashing the ball is obviously doing so because they can't construct the point in any other way? Or is it because the technique of a stroke hit with a lot of pace is often compromised because of the timing, and thus ends in an error that makes it look "stupid"? hmm...

It's really easy to say "Donald Young needs an experienced coach in order to..." but every player is different. If Donald Young is apt to taking advice from others not in his family, maybe a new coach will work for him. However, he's an adult now, and if he still prefers to listen to his family's advice and not that of others, then you just have to hope, for his sake, he still grows as a player without the help of others. :shrug:

Personally, I get the impression that Young and his family prefer his game being a bit undefinable or discrete, but maybe that's just me. I think he definitely wanted to make a splash here at the US Open. I wondered if his strategy was to hit to Blake with the same pace, if not more than, he received... and make Blake feel as though he's playing against himself. Both players did ball-bashing, because both are quite capable of winning points that way. He did seem very comfortable at the net, but you also have to consider that he had nothing to lose, so his mindset was fresh. All that was expected of Young was that he make a good effort and display the talent that so many have noticed over the years, and once he had hit some flashy winners and showed he wanted to stay in the point and try to win, he did what was expected.

Blake seemed to be going for too much on his first serve, and he usually had to settle for a much weaker second serve. Donald actually could've taken more advantage of Blake's weaker second serve, but often, he allowed Blake right back into the point, which he'll want to improve on in the future.

Congrats to Blake for pulling out the victory, and I'm sure Young will grow from this experience on the big stage. :)

quadque
08-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Finally a thoughtful discussion, instead of the blabber we get form the blogospheres wannabes