US R1: JMDP beats G. Cañas in a hilarious match, 4-6 7-6(0) 6-4 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

US R1: JMDP beats G. Cañas in a hilarious match, 4-6 7-6(0) 6-4 6-1

LocoPorElTenis
08-26-2008, 03:46 AM
Mugs match. In the first set Delpo was up 3-0 and 4-1. Then Willy won 8 games in a row to take the first set 6-4 and go up a double break *3-0 in the second, only to be broken twice in a row, the second after leading 40-0 and having another couple of gps. JMDP was ruthless in the tb. The third set started with a break for Cañas, but JMDP broke back immediately and then again late in the set. The last set was a JMDP monologue with Willy fighting but struggling physically.

JMDP had flashes of brilliance but also sprayed ues left and right with his forehand. Willy is a bad matchup for him, but in the end Del Pony won thanks to his sky-high confidence ATM.

Next up is a huge mug in Bellucci but JMDP will have to raise his level if he wants to make the second week.

Nalbandian!!!
08-26-2008, 03:47 AM
Vamos Delpo !!!!!!!!

great win !

Voo de Mar
08-26-2008, 03:51 AM
Del Potro played disrespectful return at 3:0 (40-15) in the 1st set and it cost him that set. He will win US Open... but maybe not this year.

fast_clay
08-26-2008, 03:55 AM
mug-off

~Maya~
08-26-2008, 03:55 AM
:yeah:

TMJordan
08-26-2008, 03:57 AM
Simon will beat Mug Potro in round 3.

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 04:41 AM
Mug-a-thon.

Nalbandian!!!
08-26-2008, 05:31 AM
Simon will beat Mug Potro in round 3.

hahahahaha STFU !:):)

Del Potro rocks !:eek:

VolandriFan
08-26-2008, 05:33 AM
Well done JMDP. Just a few more wins to cap off this run would be nice.

Willy is still struggling. :(

Hendu
08-26-2008, 05:55 AM
Well done JMDP. Just a few more wins to cap off this run would be nice.

Willy is still struggling. :(

Willy played better than in previous weeks. I think this match was encouraging for him.

Good for Del Potro. Not as consistent as he has recently been, but is understandable considering the kind of player he was facing, and the pressure he is under with everybody looking at him after the 4 titles.

ChinoRios4Ever
08-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Willy ran out of gas... if not...

Pepi.
08-26-2008, 09:57 AM
:banana:

Deathless Mortal
08-26-2008, 10:17 AM
I watched the first two sets, then fell asleep knowing Delpo will win. Was surprised how Willy made a comeback in the first set, I thought Del Potro will easily beat him but he put up a good fight. Good for the game that JMDP is through :yeah:

Acer
08-26-2008, 10:28 AM
So this is the great JMDP eveyone's orgasming over? Pfffttt

Bernard Black
08-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Expected below-par performance from Del Potro after all the hype. Still, he's on a great run and a win is a win, he needs to improve a lot though if he's going to go much further.

TheBoiledEgg
08-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Willy ran out of gas... if not...

thats not the only thing he ran out of :tape:

Psichogauchovna
08-26-2008, 12:40 PM
overusing of mug word on this board is killing me :haha:

NADAL15SLAMS
08-26-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't think Porto would be able to break Nadal's serve enough to win, because I'm sure Nadal is going to break his serve. When does Porto play Nadal? :wavey:

Jaap
08-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Del Pony could win this tournament.

NADAL15SLAMS
08-26-2008, 12:44 PM
If the top 3 seeds weren't playing I think Porto could win it yeah. :wavey:

Jaap
08-26-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't think Porto would be able to break Nadal's serve enough to win, because I'm sure Nadal is going to break his serve. When does Porto play Nadal? :wavey:

What great logic!

:retard:

Clydey
08-26-2008, 12:48 PM

He doesn't. He's not getting to the semis.

Jaap
08-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Amazing the amount of mug Nadal fans that have joined this board in Jul 2008 or Aug 2008. :rolleyes:

VolandriFan
08-26-2008, 01:34 PM

Del Potro

NADAL15SLAMS
08-26-2008, 01:40 PM
What great logic!

:retard:

Ooops I forgot I have to explain everything twice. I know Nadal will be breaking Del Potro's serve, because Del Potro's serve isn't great and has already been broken by a less impressive returner than Nadal. Nadal's serve is very rarely broken (even playing his worst in the 1st round he only was broken once and it came with a double-fault). So this means Del Potro can't beat Nadal. :wavey:

NADAL15SLAMS
08-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Amazing the amount of mug Nadal fans that have joined this board in Jul 2008 or Aug 2008. :rolleyes:

I've been reading this board for the last 2 years but Fedex fans made it look uneappealing with all the snobbery. Now this board is a lot more classy and less crazy. :wavey:

NADAL15SLAMS
08-26-2008, 01:47 PM
He doesn't. He's not getting to the semis.

So Nadal won't face Del Potro, Blake, Murray until semi-final, no? :wavey:

DhammaTiger
08-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Willy :hug: :hug: Congrats to JMDP

leng jai
08-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Canas you idiot. You had the chance to shut the bandwagoners up and you blew it. Boo

Clydey
08-26-2008, 02:11 PM
So Nadal won't face Del Potro, Blake, Murray until semi-final, no? :wavey:

You asked when Del Potro will face Nadal. I sad he won't, since he'll lose before the semis. Self-explanatory.

EnriqueIG8
08-26-2008, 02:42 PM
He has a good draw to reach the QF's.

LocoPorElTenis
08-26-2008, 03:48 PM
In all seriousness, JMDP didn't play well, but winning ugly is key to becoming a great player and improving consistency. Coming from a set and a double break down (after losing 8 consecutive games in a row) to win is very positive, even if he shouldn't have lost 8 games in a row to begin with.

I think he will be in trouble against Simon in the third round. It's not a good match up for him. But his confidence is so high that, if his fitness holds up, it will be hard for anyone to defeat him.

Clara Bow
08-26-2008, 03:53 PM
In all seriousness, JMDP didn't play well, but winning ugly is key to becoming a great player and improving consistency. Coming from a set and a double break down (after losing 8 consecutive games in a row) to win is very positive, even if he shouldn't have lost 8 games in a row to begin with.

I agree. Although he did not really play that well- I thought in an odd way this was a good match for him. A year ago I think he would have given up and moped his way to the loss. This year- outside of a racquet break- he stayed a bit more positive. He can't always play at the level he did, say during the LA final. But he needs to learn how to win when he is not his best and I thought this (as well as the Legg-Mason finals) were good lessons in that regard.

One thing I also liked was that he did not run out of gas in the 4th set whereas when he was 18 he very well could have. He just looks slightly fitter and less mopey on the court now.

oranges
08-26-2008, 04:25 PM
:haha: When Canas was up two breaks in the second, I thought the match was practically over. Don't see del Potro winning a five setter after 0:2 at this point. Before you know it, Willy squandered both breaks and lost the TB. It was not exactly gripping tennis that would keep me awake at 3 AM, but he obviously continued along the same path in the last two sets.

Toko
08-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Hooray, druggy out.

Crybaby still in.

Leo
08-26-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm not nearly as down on Del Potro as everyone else.

Did anyone actually SEE this match? Or are you making unfounded judgments based on the stats? Because I was there live and watched from 5-4 Canas in the first set to the very end. This match featured the best rallies of the US Open so far. Such crisp hitting with Del Potro totally on offense and Canas totally on defense.

At first, during JMDP's bad patch of lost games, he was playing terribly. He wasn't holding up in any of the long rallies. He was impatient and overhitting everything, bailing out of points with stupid attempted winners down the line and stupid, poorly executed dropshots. But he started to pull his game back together down 0-3* in the 2nd set, and played pretty brilliantly for the remainder of the match. He had patches of winners that were so so gorgeous. I've never seen much of Del Potro in the past, not even at all this summer on TV during his win streak, so I was surprised that he could sustain that kind of hitting for several points and several games. Reminiscent of Berdych but better.

He really really rocked in that tiebreak. Canas hit about 2 double faults but Del Potro was in charge of that tiebreak completely. And then he had a lapse in concentration and got down an early break in the 3rd, but his game woke up again and the winners returned. He played the 4th set very smart, knowing that Canas was struggling physically and starting to cramp, and he didn't overreact or overplay. Just very confidently strolled into the 2nd round. I see a very deep run her from Juan... watch out, Rafa.

Leo
08-26-2008, 06:15 PM
And just to add, Canas IS indeed a very bad matchup for Juan's game. We have to take that into consideration. But right now DP has the confidence and experience to pull out those kind of matches. I'm sure he was also feeling pressure not to lose considering his hot streak this summer and the fact that people are really beginning to talk about him.

He absolutely crushed a racquet down 3-0 in the 2nd and got a warning for racquet abuse, but after that point was very controlled with his game and his temper. I was totally impressed.

martine2
08-26-2008, 06:26 PM

Did anyone actually SEE this match? Or are you making unfounded judgments based on the stats? Because I was there live and watched from 5-4 Canas in the first set to the very end. This match featured the best rallies of the US Open so far. Such crisp hitting with Del Potro totally on offense and Canas totally on defense.

At first, during JMDP's bad patch of lost games, he was playing terribly. He wasn't holding up in any of the long rallies. He was impatient and overhitting everything, bailing out of points with stupid attempted winners down the line and stupid, poorly executed dropshots. But he started to pull his game back together down 0-3* in the 2nd set, and played pretty brilliantly for the remainder of the match. He had patches of winners that were so so gorgeous. I've never seen much of Del Potro in the past, not even at all this summer on TV during his win streak, so I was surprised that he could sustain that kind of hitting for several points and several games. Reminiscent of Berdych but better.

He really really rocked in that tiebreak. Canas hit about 2 double faults but Del Potro was in charge of that tiebreak completely. And then he had a lapse in concentration and got down an early break in the 3rd, but his game woke up again and the winners returned. He played the 4th set very smart, knowing that Canas was struggling physically and starting to cramp, and he didn't overreact or overplay. Just very confidently strolled into the 2nd round. I see a very deep run her from Juan... watch out, Rafa.

Thanks for the report :)

The result is not at all unexpected and however I'd preferred Willy to win, I'm glad for Delpo

Jogy
08-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Did somebody see how ugly and rude del Potro was in the third set, 0-1, in the first points?

How this prick scolded a ballkid and gestured and took piss out to him how to throw a ball? :mad:

What a way to be rude to a ballkid when you are yourself so young and have not managed crap in your entire life? :retard:

This petulant jerk del Potro is glad that I was not a ballboy, could have been that his shit face needed a doctor for stitches after the match :lol:

This ballkid should have refused to throw more balls to him :rolleyes:

disgrace behaviour from this Potro

cobalt60
08-27-2008, 01:24 AM

I think he will be in trouble against Simon in the third round. It's not a good match up for him. But his confidence is so high that, if his fitness holds up, it will be hard for anyone to defeat him.

I agree. Although he did not really play that well- I thought in an odd way this was a good match for him. A year ago I think he would have given up and moped his way to the loss. This year- outside of a racquet break- he stayed a bit more positive. He can't always play at the level he did, say during the LA final. But he needs to learn how to win when he is not his best and I thought this (as well as the Legg-Mason finals) were good lessons in that regard.

One thing I also liked was that he did not run out of gas in the 4th set whereas when he was 18 he very well could have. He just looks slightly fitter and less mopey on the court now.

Yep :yeah: Agree on all points. Hope he keeps it going and wins quicker;)

cobalt60
08-27-2008, 01:25 AM

And just to add, Canas IS indeed a very bad matchup for Juan's game. We have to take that into consideration. But right now DP has the confidence and experience to pull out those kind of matches. I'm sure he was also feeling pressure not to lose considering his hot streak this summer and the fact that people are really beginning to talk about him.

He absolutely crushed a racquet down 3-0 in the 2nd and got a warning for racquet abuse, but after that point was very controlled with his game and his temper. I was totally impressed.

Thanks for your insight :yeah:

NADAL15SLAMS
08-27-2008, 05:18 AM
Did somebody see how ugly and rude del Potro was in the third set, 0-1, in the first points?

How this prick scolded a ballkid and gestured and took piss out to him how to throw a ball? :mad:

What a way to be rude to a ballkid when you are yourself so young and have not managed crap in your entire life? :retard:

This petulant jerk del Potro is glad that I was not a ballboy, could have been that his shit face needed a doctor for stitches after the match :lol:

This ballkid should have refused to throw more balls to him :rolleyes:

disgrace behaviour from this Potro

Sounds Potro is the new Laytard Hewitt. :wavey: