USO R1: Kei Nishikori def Juan Monaco 6-2 6-2 5-7 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO R1: Kei Nishikori def Juan Monaco 6-2 6-2 5-7 6-2

silverwhite
08-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Kei :woohoo:

Impressive stuff from Kei. FH produced some stunning winners. Got a bit tight or tired and hit some impatient shots to lose the third set but got it together in the fourth set and served it out despite cramps. :yeah:

Pfloyd
08-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Some nice play for Nishikori in the first two sets, was rather erratic in the last two sets, and had some back problems in the fourth.

Monaco pretty bad from his backhand side.

Still, a win is a win, and this is a great step forward for Nishikori, hopefuly his back issues are nothing more that tightness.

Good Job :yeah:

gusman890
08-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Expected.

Monaco sucked so bad in New Haven, I would expect a guy like Kei who likes playing on hard courts to beat him.

I saw a shot of Key lying on the ground getting his back worked on, looked like he was in pain...then lose another game after that.

Smoke944
Monaco in horrendous form for obvious reasons.

Pfloyd
He should make it to the 3rd round.

Voo de Mar
08-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Nishikori's first win in Grand Slam. I've seen him for the first time "live". Good baseliner.

scoobs
08-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Good baseliner but he also had some wonderful plays at net in the first two sets, rather got away from that in the third and fourth.

I really like his game, but he has to get fitter - cramping in the first round after 2 hrs 30 - not a good sign.

Bernard Black
08-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Hell yeah.

HoistDaColors
08-25-2008, 06:22 PM
i got really confused at one point when they swapped shirts. :confused:

can someone explained what was going on in the second set or was it third? :scratch: Juan thought he had ad and hit a winner to win the game. Then umpire said Juan's penultimate shot was long and so they were at deuce when he hit the winner. how did they resolve it? I was away for a minute.

Kei is a good baseliner but he's also very intelligent. He mixes things up quiet well.

Merton
08-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Well done Kei, he was down physically after the 3rd set but went all out and won the 4th. Monaco would rather forget this year, a total disaster after his ankle injury early in Vina.

It is time to change the joke rule on medical time outs, Kei's timeout for cramping in the 4th set whould have cost him a game.

*bunny*
08-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Well done, Kei! :yeah:
First victory at USO by a Japanese player since Shuzo Matsuoka in 1993. :)
Love his variety, change of pace and timing to approach the net.

Kei retired injured in Wimbledon, Pico had a back injury and didn't play Wimbers, he also suffered from pneumonia in July, losing a lot of weight. They both came back in the Olympics and lost in the first round.
Pico was clearly not back to form and making many uncharacteristic UEs although he fought back hard to take the tipsy turvy third set.
When Kei was serving at *3-2 40-0, he suddenly limped to the chair and called a trainer. He probably had cramps on both thighs and lower back. It took long for the trainer to come to Court 10, so maybe it helped Kei to recover quickly in addition to the on-court treatment he had.

Good luck vs Karanusic! ;)

Henry Chinaski
08-25-2008, 06:26 PM
bizarre situation in the first game of the third set. Monaco was serving at deuce, hit a good serve and put the short ball way easily. It was nowhere near the tramline or baseline yet the score went to ad Nishikori without Monaco realising (I didn't hear an out call either and if it was it was the worst call of all time). He then won the next point and changed sides thinking he'd won the game but was told by the umpire that the score was deuce. Moanco argued about it for about 5 minutes before eventually giving up and returning to serve at deuce. Then Nishikori suddenly decided to concede the previous deuce point and therefore the game to Monaco.

And I'm pretty sure it was Norm Chryst in the chair you won't be surprised to hear.

*bunny*
08-25-2008, 06:33 PM

can someone explained what was going on in the second set or was it third? :scratch: Juan thought he had ad and hit a winner to win the game. Then umpire said Juan's penultimate shot was long and so they were at deuce when he hit the winner. how did they resolve it? I was away for a minute.
What happend was that it was deuce on Monaco's serve and he took two successive points to win the game. The commentaters on TV were guessing that the umpire got confused and thought the first of those two points went to Kei and it was deuce when in reality it was game won for Monaco. The ump conceded in the end I think. But that argument fired up Monaco and disrupted Kei's rhythm.

Kei is a good baseliner but he's also very intelligent. He mixes things up quiet well.
I second that. :)

Henry Chinaski
08-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Umpires never admit their fuck-ups. Pretty sure it was Nishikori that conceded.

*bunny*
08-25-2008, 06:37 PM
bizarre situation in the first game of the third set. Monaco was serving at deuce, hit a good serve and put the short ball way easily. It was nowhere near the tramline or baseline yet the score went to ad Nishikori without Monaco realising (I didn't hear an out call either and if it was it was the worst call of all time). He then won the next point and changed sides thinking he'd won the game but was told by the umpire that the score was deuce. Moanco argued about it for about 5 minutes before eventually giving up and returning to serve at deuce. Then Nishikori suddenly decided to concede the previous deuce point and therefore the game to Monaco.

And I'm pretty sure it was Norm Chryst in the chair you won't be surprised to hear.
Aha I see it now.
And the ump was someone by a surname called Littleman. Never seen him before.

scoobs
08-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Yep that was a piece of atrocious umpiring. Thankfully Nishikori intervened to correct the situation and make sure justice was done.

Umpire kept saying "I didn't get a good look at it" (the ball apparently called out).

I did and it was at least 2 metres from either line so I can only assume the umpire was looking at some hottie in the crowd.

silverwhite
08-25-2008, 06:42 PM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. :o

Henry Chinaski
08-25-2008, 06:48 PM
thirded ^

finishingmove
08-25-2008, 06:48 PM
expected and a good win for kei

Henry Chinaski
08-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Aha I see it now.
And the ump was someone by a surname called Littleman. Never seen him before.

oh, thanks.

apologies to big norm in that case.

although when you see an eldelry guy with an american accent making a monumental fuck up it's natural to assume it's chryst

*bunny*
08-25-2008, 06:56 PM
oh, thanks.

apologies to big norm in that case.

although when you see an eldelry guy with an american accent making a monumental fuck up it's natural to assume it's chryst
I think you are completely forgiven for the confusion. It's scandalous enough that there is another ump as poor as norm. :angel:

selyoink
08-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Hopefully this MM mug Monaco never gets anywhere close to top 15 again.

JolánGagó
08-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Hopefully this MM mug Monaco never gets anywhere close to top 15 again.

Are you under death threat from someone if you produce a post without the rather meaningless word "mug" in it? :rolleyes:

Good win for Kei, congrats. Monaco should try to recover though.

TheBoiledEgg
08-25-2008, 08:01 PM
expected
another mug gone.

anon57
08-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Good first two sets from Kei, the last two weren't quite as good but still well done:yeah:. It does seem like he'll have to work on fitness some more he seemed to be having problems with cramping towards the end of the match, but he's still young so he's got time to improve.

tennisfan444
08-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Another hot and sexy guy america won't get to watch play :(

sheeter
08-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Could someone plesease tell me a little more about Nishitori's game? i know he's a good baseliner and has a crazy finish on his forehand, but that's about it.

Henry Chinaski
08-25-2008, 10:37 PM
plays close to the baseline, agressively but not all out attack by any means, seems to use his brain on court and gets decent angles, compact swings, seems to hit flatly by modern standards, moves well, inconsistent and still hits plenty of stupid errors into the bottom of the net

bambelbitz
08-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Yes!!!! Nishikori's first win in Grand Slam. At a time in the 4th set he couldn't stand straight because of cramps, but he closed it out in four!

sheeter
08-26-2008, 12:07 AM
plays close to the baseline, agressively but not all out attack by any means, seems to use his brain on court and gets decent angles, compact swings, seems to hit flatly by modern standards, moves well, inconsistent and still hits plenty of stupid errors into the bottom of the net

Thanks!

DhammaTiger
08-26-2008, 12:28 AM
It was first time I saw Kei play, and really impressed with him :bigclap: Monaco :hug:

Laba
08-26-2008, 01:33 AM
This was an expected result. Juan needs some time away to recover and try get himself back on track. Props to Kei for his first win in a grand slam. As others have mentioned, his fitness really needs to be improved though.

Jimnik
08-26-2008, 02:03 AM
Nishikori, like most Japanese players, is such a joy to watch. Not very tall but he still has the guts to play aggressive and approach the net. It's so refreshing to see that in the modern game.

He could go deep here and I hope he becomes a top player at his peak.

VolandriFan
08-26-2008, 02:06 AM
Well done to Nishikori!

Hope Juan regains his form soon, it's hard coming back from any physically draining illness.

star
08-26-2008, 02:18 AM
:yippee: :yippee:

Warrior
08-26-2008, 02:21 AM
Well done Kei

Seneca
08-26-2008, 04:50 AM
Impressive stuff from Nishikori. He combined a barrage of steady, powerful shots and crafty net play to stay in the driver's seat for the whole match and wasn't intimidated after losing the third set. Even though his opponent is in bad form at the moment, beating these Javier Nano Liechtensteins of the world is no small feat.

TMJordan
08-26-2008, 05:01 AM
Monaco seriously sucks.

ChinoRios4Ever
08-26-2008, 06:16 AM
1st time i see Kei play, he has game, but he needs to spent many hours in the gym.

Action Jackson
08-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Monaco seriously sucks.

Hahahaha, coming from you that is funny.

Scotso
08-26-2008, 07:03 AM
Kei :banana:

Bazooka
08-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Kei, when on, is really impressive. It's one of those guys that could really be the real deal, isn't he?

DhammaTiger
08-26-2008, 10:02 AM
I think Nishikori can easily become a top ten player. He has wonderful shots and his forehand is apotential lethalweapon. More importantly he has variety of shots and has mental strength.

Turquoise
08-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Well done Nishikori. The cramps don't bode well for future possible five-setters, but his game is a joy to watch. He's got great potential.

Sad for Monaco. Hope he recovers from his injury issues, and gets on back on track very soon.

EnriqueIG8
08-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Monaca a.k.a. Disaster!

Clara Bow
08-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Happy for Kei to get his first grand slam win. From all accounts, he needs to work on his fitness.

This year has been pretty bad for Juan ever since he hurt his ankle in Chile. (Came back too soon from that and then had pneumonia). I hope he has a better 2009. He still looks like he hasn't quite gained all the weight back that he lost during his illness.

Hokit
08-28-2008, 07:38 AM
I doubt fitness was the problem for the cramps. It might've been from an ongoing problem with injuries coming up in matches. Hopefully Nishikori will overcome them. These are not just health issues, but fitness preparation as well. Maybe he should get a personal trainer to work with him on different stretches to prevent those cramps.

Bazooka
08-28-2008, 08:40 AM
At his age, and without real experience in five setters, having such difficulties is the normal thing.

What is impressive about Nishikori is how after having played 8 ATP matches he entered Delray Beach and won, defeating Blake in the final. He also did a very good tournament at Queens.

Forehander
08-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Kei needs to learn some super moves. Like the Cyclone smash or something