USO R1 Karanusic def. Sweeting 7-5 7-5 3-6 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO R1 Karanusic def. Sweeting 7-5 7-5 3-6 6-2

Blue Heart24
08-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Nice win for Roko,he was injured and didnt play for quite a time,good to see him back in form :yeah:

Jelena_78
08-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Well done Roko! :)

gusman890
08-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Nice try Ryan :sad:

I hope he wont be a US Challenger player for the rest of his career like some of his buddies.

Smoke944
08-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Nice try Ryan :sad:

I hope he wont be a US Challenger player for the rest of his career like some of his buddies.

Ditto, nice chance wasted here.

Machiavelli
08-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Bravo Roko.....

networthy
08-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Excellent win for Roko. It's only his third singles MD win in a GS event (also Wimbledon '06 and '08).

With it, he'll move to a new career-high rank of around 90.

In the 2nd round he plays Nishikori (#126). It'll be a tough match but Roko can't complain. You won't often find a lower-ranked player in the 2nd round of a major. In any event, it's better than having to play Monaco (#29 seed), who lost to Nishikori today.

This is a good chance for Roko to reach the 3rd round of a major for the first time in his career. Go for it, Roko, and good luck!

Winnipeg
08-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Good win ROKO !!!

bambelbitz
08-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Always good to reach the second round of a grand slam. Congrats!

~*BGT*~
08-26-2008, 02:54 AM
:sad:

Chip_s_m
08-26-2008, 03:40 AM
I was at this match. Ryan can really light it up, but is terribly inconsistent. It seemed like every single one of his shots painted the lines in the 3rd set. Roko stepped up his defense early in the 4th set and just shut him down, though. Ryan could easily make it past the challenger circuit if he can get his head together.

~*BGT*~
08-26-2008, 03:44 AM
I was at this match. Ryan can really light it up, but is terribly inconsistent. It seemed like every single one of his shots painted the lines in the 3rd set. Roko stepped up his defense early in the 4th set and just shut him down, though. Ryan could easily make it past the challenger circuit if he can get his head together.

I watched him play doubles at a challenger in April with Delic. He was good at times but I can honestly say he lost that match. I mean, their opponents were LSU students. Guys who had never played a pro match. :lol: And Ryan just couldn't keep the ball in plau. He gets so angry on court though. :eek: He really needs to control his temper. I was going to ask him for an autograph but I was terrified of what he might do with the racquet in his hand. :scared:

Chip_s_m
08-26-2008, 03:52 AM
I watched him play doubles at a challenger in April with Delic. He was good at times but I can honestly say he lost that match. I mean, their opponents were LSU students. Guys who had never played a pro match. :lol: And Ryan just couldn't keep the ball in plau. He gets so angry on court though. :eek: He really needs to control his temper. I was going to ask him for an autograph but I was terrified of what he might do with the racquet in his hand. :scared:

Yea he does have a temper. After losing the first set he hit a ball into a nearby court, which he got a warning for. They could've been playing over there for all we know, but we couldn't see. He threw/smashed his racquet after getting broken to go down 6-5 in the 2nd. The umpire gave him a point penalty, which was a point he could've used since he took the game to deuce :rolleyes:. I thought he was really fun to watch in that 3rd set since he was hitting some great shots off both wings and really making Karanusic run around (he was really painting the lines). It's a shame he's so inconsistent.

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 03:56 AM
I've watched this kid play. He's got talent, but he makes Blake, Berdych and Safin look like rock solid players.

jole
08-26-2008, 04:01 AM

I totally agree. The bad thing is, I was saying the exact same thing a year ago and nothing has changed.

~*BGT*~
08-26-2008, 04:04 AM
I totally agree. The bad thing is, I was saying the exact same thing a year ago and nothing has changed.

Is that him in your avy?

Chip_s_m
08-26-2008, 04:08 AM
I've watched this kid play. He's got talent, but he makes Blake, Berdych and Safin look like rock solid players.

:haha: Well put.

Sounds like a lot of our young guys. I saw Evans get his ass handed to him by Golubev, and he just didn't seem involved in the match at all. Based on his results I was perfectly fine with him getting a WC, but after seeing his attitude today I thought it was a total waste, especially since he got a gift with Ferrero withdrawing. His coach/entourage was sitting behind me and I think they were muttering the same thing (although to be honest they didn't seem too into it either. By the time the 3rd set rolled around they were rambling on about girls and girlfriends for a while :o.)

jole
08-26-2008, 04:32 AM

Sounds like a lot of our young guys. I saw Evans get his ass handed to him by Golubev, and he just didn't seem involved in the match at all. Based on his results I was perfectly fine with him getting a WC, but after seeing his attitude today I thought it was a total waste, especially since he got a gift with Ferrero withdrawing. His coach/entourage was sitting behind me and I think they were muttering the same thing (although to be honest they didn't seem too into it either. By the time the 3rd set rolled around they were rambling on about girls and girlfriends for a while :o.)

There are several Americans who are content with traveling around with the USTA/Daddy paying for stuff and telling girls they are professional players. I'll be honest and say I'm a little jealous, but not much. :p I mean, you have to grow up eventually and most of them are freaking 22 or something anyways. Oh well, they can always open up an academy or teach at a club and bang MILFs.

CooCooCachoo
08-26-2008, 05:13 AM

Evans and Sweeting are both in the same league, I agree. Ryan has got so so much talent but it is hard to channel it all into a consistent match, let alone a consistent tournament or even a season. I really like Ryan, but his results have been horrible this year too :(

Brendan seemed to be on the right track late last season, but then also collapsed to great inconsistency this year.

Deathless Mortal
08-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Roko :rocker2:

Smoke944
08-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Ryan and Brendan :smash:
atleast Ryan qualified.
Hopefully Jenkins gives a good accounting of himself and it will be interesting to see how Austin Krajicek does.