Who is the best role-model in terms of sportsmanship? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is the best role-model in terms of sportsmanship?

NADAL15SLAMS
08-25-2008, 04:01 AM
Out of Agassi, Sampras, Federer, Nadal, who would you nominate as being the greatest example of respect for the game and respect for the opponent? :wavey:

Action Jackson
08-25-2008, 04:04 AM
None of the above.

Rafter, Moya and Wilander are much better examples.

Then there is Muster, Koellerer, Tarango and Pashanski as well.

NADAL15SLAMS
08-25-2008, 04:05 AM
You aren't allowed to nominate anyone except for Sampras, Agassi, Federer, Nadal. So if you don't think any of them are especially classy just say who is the least trashy. :wavey:

Sunset of Age
08-25-2008, 04:13 AM
]You aren't allowed to nominate anyone except for Sampras, Agassi, Federer, Nadal.[/B] So if you don't think any of them are especially classy just say who is the least trashy. :wavey:

Okay... Stefan Edberg. I guess you weren't even born when that bloke ruled the tennis world, eh? :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
08-25-2008, 04:15 AM
Okay... Stefan Edberg. I guess you weren't even born when that bloke ruled the tennis world, eh? :rolleyes:

Pretty much we have named all possibilties.

Rafter, Moya, Edberg, Wilander, well Mecir, Rios, Muster, Koellerer, Tarango and Pashanski.

Think that covers it.

NADAL15SLAMS
08-25-2008, 04:15 AM

I said you can only nominate a player out of Sampras, Agassi, Federer, Nadal. Yeah I saw every year of Edberg's career except for the first 2 years. :wavey:

Sunset of Age
08-25-2008, 04:17 AM
I said you can only nominate a player out of Sampras, Agassi, Federer, Nadal. Yeah I saw every year of Edberg's career except for the first 2 years. :wavey:

Sure you did. Not. :wavey:

Kitty de Sade
08-25-2008, 04:18 AM
This is a tough one, but I'll go with a three-way among Connors, McEnroe, and Nastase. :)

NADAL15SLAMS
08-25-2008, 04:19 AM
Sure you did. Not. :wavey:

:wavey:

leng jai
08-25-2008, 04:22 AM
Novak Djokovic

Action Jackson
08-25-2008, 04:23 AM
Ion Tiriac, Kiefer and Fernando Gonzalez.

leng jai
08-25-2008, 04:24 AM
Tommy Robredo.

Fumus
08-25-2008, 04:26 AM
Ion Tiriac, Kiefer and Fernando Gonzalez.

How bout Coria or Robredo? Wait, Alex Bogomolov Jr.!

Action Jackson
08-25-2008, 04:27 AM
How bout Coria or Robredo? Wait, Alex Bogomolov Jr.!

Well someone had to nominate them and you were first with Coria and Bogomolov Jr.

Bobby
08-25-2008, 04:28 AM
Edberg for sure. But I wouldn't forget Brad Gilbert.

Kolya
08-25-2008, 04:29 AM
From the stories I've heard Wilander is the best role model.

JimmyV
08-25-2008, 04:33 AM
Jeff Tarango easily.

Branimir
08-25-2008, 04:43 AM
Novak Djokovic

NADAL15SLAMS
08-25-2008, 04:45 AM
This thread got me thinking of how good a Will Ferrell movie would be about tennis. Lucky I started this thread. :wavey:

Bobby
08-25-2008, 04:51 AM
This thread got me thinking of how good a Will Ferrell movie would be about tennis. Lucky I started this thread. :wavey:

Wouldn't be any worse than Paul Bettany hitting groundstrokes or practising serve in Wimbledon. That's for sure.

MrChopin
08-25-2008, 04:53 AM
I know that a lot of people are joking here, but it would be a shame if Oscar Hernandez does not win this poll. Then again, that may be of his own accord.

NADAL15SLAMS
08-25-2008, 05:03 AM
I'm not allowed to make polls. :wavey:

Pea
08-25-2008, 06:21 AM
You shouldn't be allowed to make threads either.

Clearly agassi....................................

jonathancrane
08-25-2008, 06:30 AM
Out of Agassi, Sampras, Federer, Nadal, who would you nominate as being the greatest example of respect for the game and respect for the opponent? :wavey:

Nadal in a list of role-model sportsmanship? :eek:
Of the four I choose Sampras

Topspin Forehand
08-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Nadal and Agassi.

Merton
08-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Neither of the guys the thread starter mentioned qualifies as "a best role model for sportsmanship".

-Sampras: He had that puppy-dog face when things were not going his way, especially on clay and later in his career. Like "please, don't punish me more".
-Nadal: Exceeds the allowed time limit per point on his serve, especially so on more important points. It would be one thing to control the rhythm within the rules, say take 8 seconds on a point and 22 seconds on the next. It is another to violate the time limit.
-Federer: He pointed at the wrong mark during the Rome final against Nadal, in my mind he did it on purpose but the whole incident got lost because of the drama of that match and the allegations of uncle Toni coaching.

For Agassi I will dedicate a separate post. :D

Merton
08-25-2008, 07:26 AM
-Agassi: I wrote yesterday of how the media image of "statesman" and "ambassador of the game" was not consistent with his behavior at certain times, even in the late stages of his career. Here is another example, this time from the semifinal against Rafter at Wimbledon: Bolded excerpts are mine throughout.

Sports of The Times; An American's Stunning Exit Turns Ugly
By HARVEY ARATON
Published: July 7, 2001
ONLY the uninitiated tennis fan or the head of an American television network could really be saddened by Patrick Rafter's fifth-set reversal of fortune against Andre Agassi here yesterday, considering the gentleman who won the right to move on and the retro Agassi who petulantly stormed home.

What seemed to be an indisputable case of survival of the fittest suddenly became an inspirational study of perseverance by one player against another throwing a fit. Rafter twice rallied from a set behind, fought off virtual match points during the fifth set, withstood Agassi's serving for the match and rose to win, 2-6, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2, 8-6, to reach his second straight Wimbledon final.

''At the end of the day, he played better at the most important moments,'' Agassi said not long after he chose the worst of times, serving at 6-7 in the fifth set, to misplace his Zen-like maturity of recent years.

Though he credited Rafter, Agassi tainted the act of congratulating the winner by smacking a ball across the net at a lineswoman who had reported to the umpire an obscenity Agassi had addressed to himself after missing a backhand at 6-all in the fifth. By then, Agassi was clearly prowling for a scapegoat, having already missed by 10 feet a first serve that happened to go in the direction of a linesman he believed had missed two calls that cost him the fourth set.

The serve, his fastest of the day at 122 miles an hour, was deliberately missed on set point against him, which spoke to the level of Agassi's distraction and ensuing self-destruction.

Instead of playing tomorrow for his second Wimbledon title, he headed back to the States to hear about how badly he'd behaved, too much like the Andre Boy of old.

''He was a bit hacked off,'' Rafter said, while adding that Wendy Smith, the lineswoman who reported Agassi's obscenity, might have looked the other way.

Objective observers also knew this wasn't the real point or the turning point. Agassi, despite two close line calls against him during the fourth set, began the fifth with a service break. ''He was cruising,'' Rafter said, until he got heated up over his inability to nail down a second service break and boiled over after failing to serve out the match at 5-4.

Goodbye Ugly American, and hello to a brand new Wimbledon champ. Rafter will play England's own Tim Henman or the wild card Goran Ivanisevic, whose match was suspended by rain last night with Henman a set away from a chance to end 65 years of British male home-court futility.

It will be a heartwarming story, no matter who shows up to play Rafter tomorrow, a career-defining day for another young citizen of the world who recognizes Center Court as the hub of the tennis universe.

Win or lose, Rafter is going home to Australia to take six months off and decide if he wants to continue, at 28, punishing his body and making those 15-hour commutes. But first would come a night of dreaming of a meeting with Henman at the precise time Australia and England are engaged in battle on the fields of rugby and cricket.

''I'll take any Grand Slam, anything, you know,'' said the good-natured Aussie. Soon Rafter, a two-time winner of the United States Open, was admitting, ''I think Wimbledon has always been traditionally the most exciting for us to win.''

He might have been talking about Australians in particular or tennis players in general. Excluding, of course, those clay-court wimps who cower on the grass, if they show up at all.

That was the beauty of another Agassi run here, his breathtaking ability to raise his level of fitness and baseline shot-making to the point where he could intimidate the world's premier serve-and-volley players in their natural habitat. Rafter had 30 aces yesterday to Agassi's 6. Rafter also struck more winners, 74-63, yet there was Agassi, leading by 2-0 in the fifth set and at double break point.

''I knew if I lost that game, the match was over,'' Rafter said. At 15-40, Agassi drilled a forehand right at his opponent's ribs from the middle of the court. Rafter, partly in self-defense, hit a reflex volley winner, and even Agassi agreed that was the play of the day.

At that point Rafter still looked washed out in his Wimbledon whites. He has been plagued by shoulder ailments for years. He is not one of the speedball servers, and you sometimes think his back is going to snap like a branch as he contorts to produce his second-service kick.

''Just give it a go,'' Rafter said of his attitude and game plan when it looked as if Agassi was likely to close him out. ''When you walk off, you hold your head high.'' Too bad for Agassi, after how far he'd come and all he's achieved, that he went out with people again calling him a head case.

Source: New York Times Sports Section, July 7, 2001. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9503E1DC1238F934A35754C0A9679C8B 63

Kolya
08-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Agassi vs. Kucera at the 1998 US Open wasn't sportmanship as well.

Nice post Merton.

Acer
08-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Lleyton

Thanos
08-25-2008, 08:52 AM
marcelo rios. he proved that you can achieve what you want without being a 'brown nose' in life.

finishingmove
08-25-2008, 09:02 AM
andy murray, no doubt...

NADAL15SLAMS
08-25-2008, 09:19 AM
I never said any of the 4 players (Sampras, Agassi, Federer, Nadal) was the GOAT of sportsmanship. I was asking which is the best role-model in terms of sportsmanship OF THOSE 4 PLAYERS (SAMPRAS, AGASSI, FEDERER, NADAL). :wavey:

MariaV
08-25-2008, 09:23 AM
I never said any of the 4 players (Sampras, Agassi, Federer, Nadal) was the GOAT of sportsmanship. I was asking which is the best role-model in terms of sportsmanship OF THOSE 4 PLAYERS (SAMPRAS, AGASSI, FEDERER, NADAL). :wavey:

GEEEEEEE, if you want me to pick one out of these 4 it's Sampras. Happy now? :D :wavey:

Bazooka
08-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Sampras except for personal hygiene displays in public.

Agassi except that he was a bully and really not a good boy at all.

Federer except for his mugness (as of late...)

Nadal except for his zero expresiveness and completely empty statements when off-court. Impossible to know what he thinks before or after a match, since I could write his statements and no one would notice.

I guess Federer then.

helgagonzalez
08-25-2008, 09:39 AM
nadal. :worship:

Mimi
08-25-2008, 09:40 AM
sampras, no complain/no racket smashing/no time delaying, all business on court :cool:

*snowflake*
08-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Carlos Moya...such class act

JolánGagó
08-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Sampras except for personal hygiene displays in public.

Agassi except that he was a bully and really not a good boy at all.

Federer except for his mugness (as of late...)

Nadal except for his zero expresiveness and completely empty statements when off-court. Impossible to know what he thinks before or after a match, since I could write his statements and no one would notice.

I guess Federer then.

So funny. Since when "expresiveness" and the ability and/or desire to tell the public what one thinks before and after a match are related to sportsmanship?

NADAL15SLAMS
08-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I miss Agassi and Sampras, Agassi for obvious reasons, but I thought Sampras had no personality, but he makes today's players look like cardboard cutouts. :wavey:

BounceBack
08-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Ivanisevic

Vida
08-25-2008, 12:41 PM
novak all the way ;)

Mateya
08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Pashanski and his compatriots.

:tape:

Deathless Mortal
08-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Ivan Ljubicic :worship:

BigJohn
08-25-2008, 01:03 PM
I think the later zen personna of Agassi was/is a pretty role model.

These days, it's Federer.

Bazooka
08-25-2008, 01:36 PM
So funny. Since when "expresiveness" and the ability and/or desire to tell the public what one thinks before and after a match are related to sportsmanship?

Well, essentially you are right, he's no worse a sportman for being a boring speaker.

But as a "role-model" for the general people out there, I think he should be able to communicate a little better, don't you think? Specially if we get out of the tennis fan world, he wouldn't be as good as Federer was as an "ambassador of the sport". So in terms of the question posted, my answer stands.

And sorry, no one that blows his nose on the court will be a role model fo me, GOAT or no GOAT.

JolánGagó
08-25-2008, 01:47 PM
But as a "role-model" for the general people out there, I think he should be able to communicate a little better, don't you think?

No I don't think he should be able to communicate better. I do think it might be benefitial for him if he does but only in regard to his finances, not to his sportsmanship or his stature as a role model.

Specially if we get out of the tennis fan world, he wouldn't be as good as Federer was as an "ambassador of the sport". So in terms of the question posted, my answer stands.

The question was about "role model" in terms of sportsmanship, not in terms of fashion sense, English languages skills, public relations abilities or other qualities that might be needed in order to be a so-called "ambassador of the sport" for everyone out there.

And sorry, no one that blows his nose on the court will be a role model fo me, GOAT or no GOAT.

Fair enough, everyone has the right to choose his own role and thus his model.

DhammaTiger
08-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Rafa out of the four by far.

FairWeatherFan
08-25-2008, 01:56 PM
^ Fanboyism.

Nadal's time-wasting easily rules him out.

The answer is Agassi, though some of it is due to his marketing.

Bazooka
08-25-2008, 01:59 PM
The question was about "role model" in terms of sportsmanship, not in terms of fashion sense, English languages skills, public relations abilities or other qualities that might be needed in order to be a so-called "ambassador of the sport" for everyone out there.

As I said, you're essentially right, if we look at how Nadal never gives up, works hard, reacts to trouble etc. he is maybe the best role-model has sportman. I admit I answered to a very personal interpretation of the original question, which is a little confuse (what the hell is a role-model exactly???) and after looking at it, I think you may be closer to what the OP really asked.

About your reference to english, believe me, he's even worse in Spanish.

scarecrows
08-25-2008, 02:09 PM

cool name

bokehlicious
08-25-2008, 02:24 PM

:eek: Really?!?! :help: :bolt:

NADAL15SLAMS
08-25-2008, 02:47 PM
cool name

It will be. :wavey:

As I said, you're essentially right, if we look at how Nadal never gives up, works hard, reacts to trouble etc. he is maybe the best role-model has sportman. I admit I answered to a very personal interpretation of the original question, which is a little confuse (what the hell is a role-model exactly???) and after looking at it, I think you may be closer to what the OP really asked.

Role-model is a very common term used in sport, there shouldn't be any confusion over what that means. If a child copies a tennis player then that is the child's role-model. This includes all facets of the player, so the way the player conducts himself both on and off the court, and whether that player is an especially devoted to fitness, how he approaches his interviews etc., all factors involved. Although this thread was asking about sportsmanship specifically, and sportsmanship is another common term used in sport. :wavey:

JolánGagó
08-25-2008, 02:51 PM

No lo es, no seas mala :p

(translation: No, he isn't, don't be so naughty )

NADAL15SLAMS
08-25-2008, 02:57 PM
I thought people liked Nadal's interviews more than anyone else's in the game today (commentators and fans alike often praise Nadal's interviews), and of those 4 players (Agassi, Sampras, Federer, Nadal) I think only Agassi may be better at interviews. :wavey:

MacTheKnife
08-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Looking only at sportsmanship of these four guys, I'd say Samrpras.

NADAL15SLAMS
08-25-2008, 03:06 PM
I think sportsmanship extends to the interview room, because a lot of players make excuses for losses, and that can really hurt a player's image. :wavey:

ReturnWinner
08-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Moya.

Bernard Black
08-25-2008, 04:11 PM

These four are hardly renowned for their good sportsmanship.

Agassi - completely manufactured nice guy image.

Nadal - still time-wastes no matter how many times he's warned about it and he knows it bothers his opponents.

Federer - he's mostly ok, perhaps a tad arrogant in some interviews. Shouted at his opponent's family earlier in the year which, though I would have probably done the same, wasn't very classy.

Sampras - probably the most sporting of this bunch. Pretty much just himself on / off court, the only thing I can think of as disrespectful to the opponent was sometimes jumping around whilst they were serving.

EnriqueIG8
08-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Federer.

JolánGagó
08-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Sampras - probably the most sporting of this bunch. Pretty much just himself on / off court, the only thing I can think of as disrespectful to the opponent was sometimes jumping around whilst they were serving.

Well I dunno if having his (very long) tongue stuck out for most of the match time qualifies as poor sportsmanship but it certainly was a hell of a disgusting sight I must say.

oranges
08-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Well I dunno if having his (very long) tongue stuck out for most of the match time qualifies as poor sportsmanship but it certainly was a hell of a disgusting sight I must say.

You just want someone to come up with ass-picking, don't you?

Rafter and Edberg :worship:

bokehlicious
08-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Rafter and Edberg :worship:

True, and by a country mile.

JolánGagó
08-25-2008, 04:56 PM
You just want someone to come up with ass-picking, don't you?

Absolutely... but I rather endure both Sampras' tongue sticking and Rafa's ass-picking than a boring shooting match between two guys whose tennis education seemed to had stalled at that first serve class then stretched to perfection over decades so one wimby trophey could finally be basket in on the verge of retirement, or in other cases not even so :)

A matter of taste, or lack thereof ;)

prima donna
08-25-2008, 05:03 PM
A1JBbKbtzJY

Julio
08-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Federer, without a doubt.

JolánGagó
08-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Pathetic attempt at bullying from that supremely talented quintessential loser Gaudio.

oranges
08-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Absolutely... but I rather endure both Sampras' tongue sticking and Rafa's ass-picking than a boring shooting match between two guys whose tennis education seemed to had stalled at that first serve class then stretched to perfection over decades so one wimby trophey could finally be basket in on the verge of retirement, or in other cases not even so :)

A matter of taste, or lack thereof ;)

We've already established you like to explain lack of insight into the game of tennis with personal preference.No need to repeat yourslef, you posts are as repetitive as Nadal's topspins and as pathetic as his volleys as soon as the ball is not around his head anyway.

GonzoFed
08-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Gaudio won that match 0-6 6-0 6-1.

prima donna
08-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Pathetic attempt at bullying from that supremely talented essential loser Gaudio.
...and of course the cordial way to respond was by employing a slur used to denote South Americans.

gusman890
08-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Paradorn comes to mind for me.

JolánGagó
08-25-2008, 05:32 PM
We've already established you like to explain lack of insight into the game of tennis with personal preference.No need to repeat yourslef, you posts are as repetitive as Nadal's topspins and as pathetic as his volleys as soon as the ball is not around his head anyway.

I do consistently repeat myself so I could be properly enlightened afterwards by you and similar others. As shown above, you hardly ever fail to shower us (not royal "us", mind you) with deep insight, rock solid knowledge and utmost respect for the objective realities of that world out there beyond the narrow boundaries of your own oh-so-groundly-based prejudices.

oranges
08-25-2008, 05:50 PM
I do consistently repeat myself so I could be properly enlightened afterwards by you and similar others. As shown above, you hardly ever fail to shower us (not royal "us", mind you) with deep insight, rock solid knowledge and utmost respect for the objective realities of that world out there beyond the narrow boundaries of your own oh-so-groundly-based prejudices.

You couldn't be enlightened if someone catapulted it you directly into the Sun. If you fail to deliver "deep insight, rock solid knowledge and utmost respect for the objective realities of that world", all of MTF will die in ignorance of the ultimate truth. Such an asset to any tennis community :worship: Please, explain again how Edberg or Sampras know squat about tennis so that we can enjoy that prejudice that you ascribe to others. Alternatively, share again with us some snide comments that involve player's personal life. So enlightened, you're the next Dalai Lama and I'm not worthy of addressing you :worship:

Bazooka
08-25-2008, 05:55 PM
...and of course the cordial way to respond was by employing a slur used to denote South Americans.

You should have better sources than that edited video to claim that, he never said that.

Simply because "Gil" is more a south american insult and even if it can be used in Spain, it's pretty rare. And even more rare when we're really pissed. We use "Gilipollas", the full word, "gil" can be used even among friends. In fact, Gil is a second name in Spain, and no one smiles at it. So that video is obviously doctored by argentinian fans.

Of course I can be wrong, but as he has *never ever* said a bad word, plus the evidence above, you have to admit it really smells bad.

Even if he said that, it was an in-court response to an in-court provocation, and would be nothing compared to Agassi episodes, just to mention the "nice guy".

About racism, and in particular to argentinians, well, you should know he has very close argentinian friends, like Nalbandian and JMdP.

Of course, if this shatter some of the Truths about the evil Nadal, feel free to ignore it, life is easier when you have bad labels for the things you hate.

JolánGagó
08-25-2008, 08:56 PM
You couldn't be enlightened if someone catapulted it you directly into the Sun. If you fail to deliver "deep insight, rock solid knowledge and utmost respect for the objective realities of that world", all of MTF will die in ignorance of the ultimate truth. Such an asset to any tennis community :worship: Please, explain again how Edberg or Sampras know squat about tennis so that we can enjoy that prejudice that you ascribe to others. Alternatively, share again with us some snide comments that involve player's personal life. So enlightened, you're the next Dalai Lama and I'm not worthy of addressing you :worship:

impossible as it seems, worse than usual yaddah yaddah...do you actually read yourself before submiting? :rolleyes:

scarecrows
08-25-2008, 09:01 PM
dont the player make a voting for the 'Sportsmanship award", which Federer has won in the last 4 years. I guess the other players see HIM as a role model :shrug:

Black Adam
08-25-2008, 09:12 PM
A1JBbKbtzJY
Can anyone translate that conversation into English?? Thanks in advance.

oranges
08-25-2008, 09:37 PM
impossible as it seems, worse than usual yaddah yaddah...do you actually read yourself before submiting? :rolleyes:

:haha::haha::haha: Talking to and about yourself :crazy:

juninhOH
08-25-2008, 09:44 PM
I think Santoro is a great model

JolánGagó
08-25-2008, 10:00 PM

The sound is so terrible they put subtitles in Spanish but only of what Gaudio says...he repeatedly tells Rafa not to act "boludo", a word Argies use for almost everything. Not clear what exactly has rafa done or said to ignite Gaudio's wrath...

bambelbitz
08-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Roger Federer

The Freak
08-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Gonzalez

Albop
08-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Gaudio: Don't act like a stupid.

Nadal : I haven't say anything

Gaudio: Don't act like a stupid it is the only thing that I say to you

Nadal: But i haven't say anything

Nadal: Stupid southamerican

cobalt60
08-25-2008, 11:57 PM
I only needed to read one page of this :haha:

star
08-26-2008, 01:36 AM

If you are putting retired players in the mix, I've got to go with Edberg and Borg. If it's just today's players, I'd say Nadal.

rocketassist
08-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Donald Young.

NADAL15SLAMS
08-26-2008, 01:59 AM
If you are putting retired players in the mix, I've got to go with Edberg and Borg. If it's just today's players, I'd say Nadal.

I agree on both accounts. :wavey:

~*BGT*~
08-26-2008, 02:19 AM

That is so mean. :sad:

~*BGT*~
08-26-2008, 02:24 AM
^ Fanboyism.

Nadal's time-wasting easily rules him out.

The answer is Agassi, though some of it is due to his marketing.

And you hate Nadal as evidenced by your petition. so...

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mfl/lowres/mfln130l.jpg

And how old was Nadal during this match? :scratch: 18 years old. :rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 02:37 AM
Edberg.

Agassi and Nadal should never be in any sporsmanship list.

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 02:39 AM
And how old was Nadal during this match? :scratch: 18 years old. :rolleyes:

An adult!!!

Since when racism is forgiven because of age?

Jimnik
08-26-2008, 02:39 AM
Out of those four, hard to say. Maybe Nadal since he's the only one that never cries when things are not going his way.

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 02:41 AM
Out of those four, hard to say. Maybe Nadal since he's the only one that never cries when things are not going his way.

:retard:

What about the excuses for every single loss, completely taking away the merit from his opponent?

Jimnik
08-26-2008, 02:41 AM

What about the excuses for every single loss, completely taking away the merit from his opponent?
Give me examples.

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 02:42 AM
Give me examples.

YOU should give me examples where he doesn't do that.

Jimnik
08-26-2008, 02:44 AM
YOU should give me examples where he doesn't do that.
Well I'm a JCF fan and I didn't see anything like that in Rome. You sure you're not confusing him with his MTF fanbase?

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 02:45 AM
Well I'm a JCF fan and I didn't see anything like that in Rome.

Bullshit. The whole act with faces and calling for trainers and stuff is a way to express "see, I'm injured, if I weren't, I'd never lose this match".

~*BGT*~
08-26-2008, 02:47 AM
An adult!!!

Since when racism is forgiven because of age?

OK, since I'm neither South American nor Spanish (didn't know those races but ok), explain to me what was racist and offensive. Really, I don't know.

Jimnik
08-26-2008, 02:47 AM
Bullshit. The whole act with faces and calling for trainers and stuff is a way to express "see, I'm injured, if I weren't, I'd never lose this match".
Well if calling for the trainer qualifies as bad sportsmanship then there is no perfect rolemodel in tennis. No matter how hard you look. I bet per match he calls the trainer less frequently than the other three.

Federer's bodylanguage when he loses is far more sour than Nadal's ever is.

~*BGT*~
08-26-2008, 02:48 AM

:lol: Anything incorrect about that statement. ;) :p

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 02:54 AM
OK, since I'm neither South American nor Spanish (didn't know those races but ok), explain to me what was racist and offensive. Really, I don't know.

If that's about the Sudaca incident, that's a racist term to call South Americans.

From wikipedia:

This racial slur voice is used mainly in Spain when the intention is to refer disrespectfully to Latin American immigrants, particularly those with Amerindian racial features and thus used in a pejorative manner as well.
Its use is regarded as highly offensive in most social contexts.

Well if calling for the trainer qualifies as bad sportsmanship then there is no perfect rolemodel in tennis. No matter how hard you look. I bet per match he calls the trainer less frequently than the other three.

It's not calling for the trainer per se. It's the whole act.

:lol: Anything incorrect about that statement. ;) :p

Incorrect is thinking racism only exists when it's about you.

~*BGT*~
08-26-2008, 02:57 AM
If that's about the Sudaca incident, that's a racist term to call South Americans.

From wikipedia:

This racial slur voice is used mainly in Spain when the intention is to refer disrespectfully to Latin American immigrants, particularly those with Amerindian racial features and thus used in a pejorative manner as well.
Its use is regarded as highly offensive in most social contexts.

Incorrect is thinking racism only exists when it's about you.

:lol: I didn't know. Besides, me what? ;)

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 02:59 AM
:lol: I didn't know. Besides, me what? ;)

You just said that it was no big deal because he was 18 at the time.

In other words, it wasn't a big deal because you don't care about South Americans and becuase you're biased toward Nadal.

Jimnik
08-26-2008, 03:01 AM
Well, it bothered me less than Sampras's big rant after he lost to Rafter in Cincinatti. And Federer's dramatics losing to Safin at the AO, looking like god conspired against him after the netcord and falling on the floor after he lost.

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 03:03 AM
Well, it bothered me less than Sampras's big rant after he lost to Rafter in Cincinatti. And Federer's dramatics losing to Safin at the AO, looking like the world conspired against him after the netcord and falling on the floor after he lost.

It bothers YOU less. Sampras wouldn't say after every loss: "I lost because I'm tired". Neither does Federer.

~*BGT*~
08-26-2008, 03:04 AM
You just said that it was no big deal because he was 18 at the time.

In other words, it wasn't a big deal because you don't care about South Americans and becuase you're biased toward Nadal.

And you and prima donna are totally neutral of course. :hatoff: and since when do I not care about South Americans? I don't speak Spanish and didn't know the context or meaning of what Nadal said. And when I was mentioning age, I was going by that translation already posted where Nadal just called him stupid. I thought it was just a silly insult. My mistake. :shrug: Besides, people mature. In 20 years, in 5 years, in 1 year, I don't want people bringing up what I say now.

Jimnik
08-26-2008, 03:05 AM
It bothers YOU less. Sampras wouldn't say after every loss: "I lost because I'm tired". Neither does Federer.
Neither does Nadal. Give me the quote.

edit: OK, in Rome he complained about the schedule and EdV (we all understand how he feels about him) but he never actually said he only lost because he was tired.

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 03:24 AM
And you and prima donna are totally neutral of course. :hatoff: and since when do I not care about South Americans? I don't speak Spanish and didn't know the context or meaning of what Nadal said. And when I was mentioning age, I was going by that translation already posted where Nadal just called him stupid. I thought it was just a silly insult. My mistake. :shrug: Besides, people mature. In 20 years, in 5 years, in 1 year, I don't want people bringing up what I say now.

I think you shouldn't defend someone when you don't know what they have done.

Neither does Nadal. Give me the quote.

I hope you NEVER EVER makes me enter Nadull's website again:

http://www.rafaelnadal.com/nadal/en/news/article/rafa-congratulates-younznhy

There's the tired reference, as usual.

~*BGT*~
08-26-2008, 03:40 AM

I was referring to the translation posted by a South American. That translation didn't make it out to be a racist term just like calling someone a "stupid American" isn't racist. Rude but not racist.

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 03:45 AM
I watched that video.

He said: "sudaca".

Nastasie
08-26-2008, 04:04 AM
Out of those, Nadal.

Out of all the players I've seen in action, Guga.

Bazooka
08-26-2008, 07:41 AM
I watched that video.

He said: "sudaca".

Please guys.

NO ONE in Spain would say "Sudaca gil". I already said it, you don't believe me?

they would say "sudaca de mierda", "sudaca gilipollas", "sudaca de los cojones" etc. etc.

In fact "gil" at the end of a sentence sounds like a very south american sentence to me. Gil is even a second name here in Spain, and used more as a joke among friends like "silly" sometimes. No one really angry would use it, it's childish.

In case you still don't understand: IT IS FAKE

Also, really how many of you have really heard the word "sudaca" in that video, because I really didn't, and listened to the ending for like 10 times. It's just subtitled, but not there.

jonathancrane
08-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Agree. In Spain we say "gilipollas", we never use "gil" as an insult. I think the video is a fake.

But Nadal is zero sportmanship IMO

jpatatsos
08-26-2008, 08:20 AM
i think baghdatis has fair sportsmanship for the game of tennis

after he was defeated by agassi at the us open he spoke very postitively about him, his achievements and wishing him luck in the future in the midt of a match where baghdatis was booed for winning points by the american crowd

he also has huge respect for all other current players. and knows that no match will be an easy one

Bazooka
08-26-2008, 08:33 AM

He has said it just like 2 or 3 times out of dozens of loses.

However, thanks for not saying "most" and say "every single". that makes much easier to show everyone you're either a liar or completely delusional.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, in Rotterdam I was playing very well, but I have very difficult lose, no? Well, it was tough lose this match against Seppi, because I was playing very well.

Roddick had several love games in the match, using his powerful forehand to keep Nadal at bay.
"The way he was serving tonight, it's tough," Nadal said. "You feel a lot of pressure when you're serving."
Nadal said he made too many errors on his forehands on crucial points.
"Against a big server you have to put these balls in if you want to win," Nadal said. "It's disappointing for me today."

Q. Obviously you're not very happy. What happened to your game out there tonight?

RAFAEL NADAL: Nothing.

Q. Nothing?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think so, no? We have to accept today. He played unbelievable. Playing very hard the ball every time, serving unbelievable. Sometimes he miss. In the backhand he didn't miss not one. Forehand, every time he does the forehand was winner, so congratulate him. That's it.

Q. So you mean it was lucky sometimes? He was lucky sometimes on some shots?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, come on. I didn't say nothing about that, no? I said he play very, very good and he's not lucky, no. Not lucky when he beat Murray, when he beat Gasquet, when he beat Youzhny. It's not lucky.

It's a lot of times playing very well in this tournament. We will see when the year is coming, but in this tournament, nothing to say.

Davydenko picked up his first title of the year after beating crowd favourite and sixth seed Andy Roddick in the semi-finals before overcoming world number two Nadal.

"He was playing unbelievable tennis and there was nothing I could do,"

I think that my level went little bit slowly, slowly down.But definitely, I played a lot of tough matches this week and also the weeks before

Oh, wait, the last one was from Stepanek. My mistake, sorry.

so two conclusions, GM:

A) Very likely, he was tired when he lost to Youzhny. After all he just played the longest 3 set match in ATP history the day earlier. It's not his opinion, or his fanboys excuse: it's the internationall press report. Every article worldwide says the same.

B) Maybe he should not have said anything about being tired even if he was, true, but really this what he said:

N.:
"Maybe I was a bit tired after the long semifinal, but I lost the final because Mikhail played very well," said Nadal, who hasn't won a title since July.

Is that making excuses or being arrogant? In fact he had been asked if he was tired and that was the cause of his defeat, he didn't come up with it. If you search under the microscope the itnerviews and losses from any player, he will eventually mention sometimes the factor of fatigue, or bad recovery from an injury. We just pay more attention to Nadal, because he loses less matches and because he is Nadal.

Action Jackson
08-26-2008, 08:42 AM
This thread really is hilarious, none of the 4 mentioned is the epitome of sportsmanship for all different reasons mentioned already.

Bazooka
08-26-2008, 09:02 AM
This thread really is hilarious, none of the 4 mentioned is the epitome of sportsmanship for all different reasons mentioned already.

Agreed.

gambit84
08-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Marcos Baghdatis

NADAL15SLAMS
08-26-2008, 11:31 AM

That's not the point of this thread. Nobody is proclaiming these 4 athletes are the 4 best role-models. I'm not even suggesting they are in the top 100. This thread is comparing these 4 athletes to eachother in the area of sportsmanship. Clear enough yet? :wavey:

JolánGagó
08-26-2008, 11:51 AM
That's not the point of this thread. Nobody is proclaiming these 4 athletes are the 4 best role-models. I'm not even suggesting they are in the top 100. This thread is comparing these 4 athletes to eachother in the area of sportsmanship. Clear enough yet? :wavey:

Perhaps if you try in Esperanto :rolleyes:

Stensland
08-26-2008, 12:29 PM
None of the above.

Rafter, Moya and Wilander are much better examples.

Then there is Muster, Koellerer, Tarango and Pashanski as well.

great stuff, coming from a mod. did it occur to you that there are people on mtf whose life isn't dominated by tennis? it's not really classy to take the piss out of everyone less "educated" than you. it's not that hard to keep out of a thread you find hilarious, is it?

mtf has become a place where 3-4 people who know EVERYTHING expect the rest to follow in their footsteps in order to avoid serious verbal spanking, be it via sarcasm, harsh critisism or blatant offense.

anyways, i'm going for nadal. federer as well as sampras and especially agassi have been pretty much "sealing off" their areas during tournaments (bodyguards, hidden practise, back entrance etc.) while rafa's still the guy he used to be back in the days. and for me, sportmanship is all about the fans. as all of them have about the same amount of respect for the opponent and the game itself, this is the part where they differ in my opinion.

Jimnik
08-26-2008, 12:46 PM
I hope you NEVER EVER makes me enter Nadull's website again:

http://www.rafaelnadal.com/nadal/en/news/article/rafa-congratulates-younznhy

There's the tired reference, as usual.
Ah, the Youzhny loss.

Don't worry, I'll never force you into that torture again. :haha:

FairWeatherFan
08-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Nadal always gives a lot of his credit to his opponents. He even underrates himself to an absurd extent before many matches. It's really the time-wasting that rules him out like I said.

Federer and Sampras, well, they are silent on court and generally respectable to their opponents. They have lapses like Federer's one-dimensional comment and Sampras' comments on Rafter but they are indeed only lapses. Even Santoro who is an impeccable sportsman I remember had a lapse in a match against Flip at the AO where he spat at a linesman.

Agassi I think is the best role-model because he went from extremely unsportsmanlike --> sportsmanlike. So that's a really good role-model to have, to show that behaviour can be radically changed. And he was just oozing class in his later years.

scarecrows
08-26-2008, 12:59 PM
And he was just oozing class in his later years.

LoL

leng jai
08-26-2008, 01:01 PM
LoL

LoLoL

MurrayFan1
08-26-2008, 04:01 PM
I agree with the comments about Nadal. He is very modest and respectful to his opponents. I don't think his "time wasting" is gamesmanship, more just routine/habit. Every players has their little habits during and between points, it's what makes every player different. What is so amazing about the sport is every players different take and approach to the game.

I do think sometimes Nadal deserves his penalities for time wasting though, whether it is out of malice or not.

scarecrows
08-26-2008, 05:36 PM
I do think sometimes Nadal deserves his penalities for time wasting though, whether it is out of malice or not.

so he deserves them only SOMETIMES?

I thought every break of rule should be punished :confused:

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Racist slanders = very sportsman-like.

Bazooka
08-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Racist slanders = very sportsman-like.

Glenn, please, stop moonballing back to us the same weak lobs.

You accused Nadal of racism because of a fake video, we answered with a winner.

You said he makes excuses after every single loss, and again your shot was just a weak lob five feet over the net, never able to score a point. I called you either a liar or delusional, please either reply to me with a winner shot, or grab some dignity from somewhere and stop posting crap.

Bazooka
08-26-2008, 10:22 PM
so he deserves them only SOMETIMES?

I thought every break of rule should be punished :confused:

I agree, but again ALL breaks of ALL rules, like racquet abuse, should be punished. You ever seen someone get a warning for throwing a racquet? not to mention breaking your own head with it, or breaking it on your leg.

Also, he's seriously improved and serves faster as of late, or at least I think he does.

Shirogane
08-26-2008, 10:25 PM
out of the 4 it has to be Pete
otherwise Edberg or Wilander

scarecrows
08-26-2008, 10:34 PM
I agree, but again ALL breaks of ALL rules, like racquet abuse, should be punished. You ever seen someone get a warning for throwing a racquet? not to mention breaking your own head with it, or breaking it on your leg.

Also, he's seriously improved and serves faster as of late, or at least I think he does.

throwing a racket isnt automatic warning :shrug: continuous throwing or when you break the racket it is and in >90% of the cases they get punished

Forehander
08-27-2008, 01:00 AM
David Nalbandian

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 01:04 AM
Glenn, please, stop moonballing back to us the same weak lobs.

You accused Nadal of racism because of a fake video, we answered with a winner.

You said he makes excuses after every single loss, and again your shot was just a weak lob five feet over the net, never able to score a point. I called you either a liar or delusional, please either reply to me with a winner shot, or grab some dignity from somewhere and stop posting crap.

Fake video? It's a very well known program in Argentina! Get a clue mate. Your idol is racist, just like most Spaniards. Are you too?

Toko
08-27-2008, 03:03 AM
Are you wanting to get banned again or are you just that unreasonable? :rolleyes:

I don't like either of the options you mentioned. Is there a third? like, I'm a visionary thinking centuries ahead of my time?

~*BGT*~
08-27-2008, 03:05 AM
So true.

Also with football players. The Hamilton incident was pathetic.

Who can forget the basketball team. I mean I love Gasol but that was a :retard: decision to think that that is acceptable. :rolleyes: It's not even funny. :o

~*BGT*~
08-27-2008, 03:06 AM
I don't like either of the options you mentioned. Is there a third? like, I'm a visionary thinking centuries ahead of my time?

Mmmmm.... that would have been correct ;) in 15687 BC. :)

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 03:26 AM
Who can forget the basketball team. I mean I love Gasol but that was a :retard: decision to think that that is acceptable. :rolleyes: It's not even funny. :o

I don't follow basketball, enlighten me.

fast_clay
08-27-2008, 03:54 AM
i think Nadal should be out of the running. it would be wrong to tell young people that being a brick wall is a healthy pastime... even pretending to be a brickwall for a few hours a day is not acceptable. we should be encouraging our youth to celebrate being human... celebrate life.

i would think someone like david nalbandian should be the best role model... he shows us that you can be fat and still win some matches... fat dave gives us hope... fatties of the world rejoice when fat dave breaks to go 5-4 up... and when dave's trainer says 'let's go hit some balls' dave has a big, healthy 'hey, fuck you man... how about you go chase me a big mac after you finish making that chocolate smoothie...' ... i feel there is a message in that for all of us... eat people... eat want you want... it is good to be just ok at stuff...

fat dave will do well in new york... it is where food was invented...

~*BGT*~
08-27-2008, 04:25 AM
I don't follow basketball, enlighten me.

They used their fingers to pull the sides of their faces to imitate Asian eyes. The Fed Cup team did the same thing before a tie against China. :o

fast_clay
08-27-2008, 04:32 AM
They used their fingers to pull the sides of their faces to imitate Asian eyes. The Fed Cup team did the same thing before a tie against China. :o

i did not know this... poor form...

pretty poor taste also... i mean... if you are going out of your way to insult somebody, this is just a fuk up... totally lacking in any originality... whoever is writing their material is a fukking oxygen theif...

~*BGT*~
08-27-2008, 04:35 AM
i did not know this... poor form...

pretty poor taste also... i mean... if you are going out of your way to insult somebody, this is just a fuk up... totally lacking in any originality... whoever is writing their material is a fukking oxygen theif...

On top of that, it was taken as an ad in a Spanish newspaper while their clothing sponsor is Chinese. :rolleyes: Pau was saying that he felt uncomfortable doing it but did it anyway. Gasol. :smash:

fast_clay
08-27-2008, 04:39 AM
On top of that, it was taken as an ad in a Spanish newspaper while their clothing sponsor is Chinese. :rolleyes: Pau was saying that he felt uncomfortable doing it but did it anyway. Gasol. :smash:

really... i find this hard to comprehnd...! :eek: you wonder if some parts of the world are still a few centuries behind when u hear of this...

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 04:45 AM

To be honest I don't doubt anything when it comes to Spaniards and racism.

~*BGT*~
08-27-2008, 04:56 AM
To be honest I don't doubt anything when it comes to Spaniards and racism.

And that's interesting because a Spanish poster on another forum said Blake is among the top 5 favorite tennis players in Spain.

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 04:59 AM
[QUOTE=GlennMirnyi;7554926]To be honest I don't doubt anything when it comes to Spaniards and racism.[/QUOTE

And that's interesting because a Spanish poster on another forum said Blake is among the top 5 favorite tennis players in Spain.

That's either bullshit or pure sarcasm.

~*BGT*~
08-27-2008, 05:02 AM
That's either bullshit or pure sarcasm.

Well, that's what she said and she's always seemed like a trustworthy poster. Very knowledgeable about tennis history so... :shrug: I trust her to know about Spanish preferences over you or I.

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2008, 06:54 AM
Well, that's what she said and she's always seemed like a trustworthy poster. Very knowledgeable about tennis history so... :shrug: I trust her to know about Spanish preferences over you or I.

I seriously doubt it.

Action Jackson
08-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Agreed.

We have made progress maestro. We agree on the hilarity of this thread and also the fact Muńoz and burro go together like pizza and cheese.

I think Rafa should start teaching Catalan to foreigners when he retires from tennis.

Action Jackson
08-27-2008, 07:02 AM
great stuff, coming from a mod. did it occur to you that there are people on mtf whose life isn't dominated by tennis? it's not really classy to take the piss out of everyone less "educated" than you. it's not that hard to keep out of a thread you find hilarious, is it?

mtf has become a place where 3-4 people who know EVERYTHING expect the rest to follow in their footsteps in order to avoid serious verbal spanking, be it via sarcasm, harsh critisism or blatant offense.

anyways, i'm going for nadal. federer as well as sampras and especially agassi have been pretty much "sealing off" their areas during tournaments (bodyguards, hidden practise, back entrance etc.) while rafa's still the guy he used to be back in the days. and for me, sportmanship is all about the fans. as all of them have about the same amount of respect for the opponent and the game itself, this is the part where they differ in my opinion.

Hahahahaha, tennis isn't even my favourite sport, but I am not surprised that you don't know that. The thread is clearly flawed and doesn't take into account that there are more than 4 players that have ever played the game, even ones that were great and happened to be fair sportsmen, and other legit names have been mentioned from varying individuals, but I wouldn't expect you to dig any deeper.

Mimi
08-27-2008, 07:08 AM
well, they are not very knowledgeable, not all Chinese have slanting eyes, only some come from certain provinces have, look at the famous actress Zhang ZiYi or Guo Li, they don't have these eyes :rolleyes:

Forehander
08-27-2008, 07:46 AM
In regards to the Beijing issue I'm pretty sure they didn't mean to offend anybody. There simply is no reason why they would do that, even if they are racist. They did it just for fun and but not to make fun. Instead, I would criticize the Chinese nation's behaviour towards this incident. What? Don't the chinese like how they look like? Is that why they are all wanting to do plastic surgery to make themselves look more like a mixed race with round eyes and high nose bridge? In fact when coming to think about it, it's horrendously embarrassing for the Chinese to be offended. It just shows the lack of confidence and proudness they have towards their own race's features. It's EXTREMELY sad.

Gnomey
08-27-2008, 08:11 AM
In regards to the Beijing issue I'm pretty sure they didn't mean to offend anybody. There simply is no reason why they would do that, even if they are racist. They did it just for fun and but not to make fun. Instead, I would criticize the Chinese nation's behaviour towards this incident. What? Don't the chinese like how they look like? Is that why they are all wanting to do plastic surgery to make themselves look more like a mixed race with round eyes and high nose bridge? In fact when coming to think about it, it's horrendously embarrassing for the Chinese to be offended. It just shows the lack of confidence and proudness they have towards their own race's features. It's EXTREMELY sad.

The majority of Chinese people are fine with how they look. The slanted slit eye joke is so 19th Century. Not all Chinese people's eyes are that type - sorry that you bunch them all together under that stereotype. How would African Americans feel if the Spanish players all faked big lips? Of all things Chinese-related they could have 'represented' such as culture or tradition, they chose a facial feature. And I can't believe you're defending that.

This shows a lack of confidence and pride that Chinese people have towards their own race's 'features'?? What WOULD show a lack of confidence and pride is if the Chinese people keep quiet and let people run all over them with stupid jokes like this. Now THAT would be sad.
I'm glad they're standing up for themselves.