Racket Technology paved the way for a player like Rafa. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Racket Technology paved the way for a player like Rafa.

DhammaTiger
08-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Very interesting article talking about the evolution of tennis through the development in Racket technology. Read it discuss it. Agree or disagree but please don't bash each other or the players.

How to make a fist of tackling Nadal
Andy Murray must battle the world No 1's blend of physique and physics, writes Jon Henderson

* Jon Henderson
* The Observer,
* Sunday August 24 2008
* Article history

Rafael Nadal

Rafael Nadal wins the men's singles title in Beijing, beating Chile's Fernando Gonzalez 6-3, 7-6, 6-3. Photo: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

Andy Murray has served his apprenticeship in the shadow of Roger Federer; now the 21-year-old Scot must strive to assert himself in what is looking very much like the dawn of the Rafael Nadal era.

The 2008 US Open, which gets under way at Flushing Meadows tomorrow, will be the first time in 12 starts that Murray has played a grand slam at which Federer has not been top seed, the Swiss having been replaced by Nadal as world No 1 last Monday. If Nadal's reign is as long as the four-and-a-half years of pre-eminence that Federer enjoyed, it will mean the best years of Murray's tennis career, like his formative ones, have again been eclipsed.

Nadal, 22, who in the past 11 weeks has scooped the French Open, Wimbledon and Olympic titles, is a formidable player to have to supplant. He is the thickly muscled child of the changes in tennis equipment that have taken place over the past 30 years, the antithesis of the sinewy players of the past, men such as Rod Laver, Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe.

Gradually, players have become more powerful until, now, we have in Nadal the player with the perfect physique for extracting the most from the latest generation of rackets and strings.

Lightweight composite materials, which mean manufacturers can produce rackets with large heads that are easy to handle, have been used, together with the most up-to-date string technology, to create an implement that places a deadly mix of power and topspin at the players' disposal.

Nick Buenfeld, a recreational player who combines his day job as a professor of concrete structures at Imperial College, London, with an extra-curricular interest in the mechanics of tennis, explains how racket technology has made a difference. 'A larger head creates a larger sweet spot with more margin for error so that a player can use a greater proportion of his strength without mishitting,' he says. 'But, more powerful hitting is only part of it. The larger head allows more topspin to be applied so that the harder shots dip into court rather than sail out. The potential volleyer is now faced with a ball that is moving more quickly and dipping more rapidly.'

Rod Cross, associate professor of physics at the University of Sydney, has also studied racket technology. He emphasises the importance of topspin. 'It dominates the modern game of tennis,' Cross says. 'In the old days of wood rackets, spin was limited by the head size [nine inches]. Rackets today are 10.5 to 11 inches wide so the ball is less likely to clip the frame when topspin is applied.'

To maximise the topspin possibilities, players have adjusted their grips, moving their hand from on top of the handle, the old-fashioned handshake grip, to a position now where they hold it as they would a frying pan over a flame. This way they can rip the racket head up behind the ball and, with the additional adjustment of opening up their stance by moving their lead foot away from the ball rather than towards it, they can make the ball dip and bounce to devastating effect. The stronger a person is, the more effective he or she will be, which is why the player who now sits atop the men's game looks more like a heavyweight boxer than the tennis champions of old.

So where does all this leave Murray, as he seeks to build on his brilliant win in the Cincinnati Masters three weeks ago - and to put behind him his Olympic disappointment? 'I don't believe there are any fundamental weaknesses in Murray's makeup that mean that he can't improve to the level needed to beat Nadal,' Buenfeld says. 'He does not give much away in speed, reaction time, touch and mental toughness.

'Murray is obviously working on increasing his strength and endurance. His progress in these areas will largely determine his future against Nadal. Improvements in his strength will help him put Nadal under more pressure by giving Nadal less time to react, get to the ball and play his shot. Greater endurance will enable him to bide his time in rallies and maintain the level of his game for longer.'

Murray, who if he meets Nadal will do so in the semi-finals, certainly believes the Spaniard can be beaten, particularly on hard courts such as those at Flushing Meadows. 'Nadal has played great all year, but, even when he is playing his best, a lot of the guys believe they can win against him, especially on hard courts,' Murray says. 'When Federer was into his second and third years as No 1, people didn't believe they could win against him.

'It's going to be good for tennis. Nadal deserves to be No 1, but I think there will be a lot more upsets than there were in the past. The level of tennis has got much better.'

Having said this, Nadal is the player whose form makes him an outstanding favourite to win, while Federer, the champion in New York for the past four years, is the player who may want the title most, to convince the world - and himself - that reports of the end of his era are greatly exaggerated. Then there is Novak Djokovic, the Serb who opened his grand-slam account at the start of the year by winning the Australian Open, which is also played on hard courts.

Murray has an inferior claim to being a title contender than any of these three, but not by much. He has what should be a gentle start to the tournament with an opening match against the Argentine Sergio Roitman, who has never been ranked higher than 62 in the world.

If the host nation look out of the running for the men's title, their chances in the women's event, which has not been won by an American since 2002, are much better, thanks in large part to what has happened to the four foreign players who have won in the past five years. Justine Henin has retired, as has Kim Clijsters, Maria Sharapova is out with a persistent shoulder injury and Svetlana Kuznetsova, the only one of the four who will be playing this time, is struggling for consistency.

The Williams sisters, Venus and Serena, who monopolised the event from 1999 to 2002, are again the US's main hopes. They are proving remarkably resilient amid rumours that their hearts are no longer in the game and Serena, having lost to Venus in the Wimbledon final in July, probably has the greater incentive to regain the title. She will be hard pressed, though, by the Serbs Ana Ivanovic, who went back to the top of the rankings last week and has overcome the thumb injury that ruled her out of the Olympics, and Jelena Jankovic.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/24/tennis.usopentennis

crude oil
08-25-2008, 05:06 AM
from what i understand, nadal doesnt use fancy strings, and the major development of the past 10 yrs has been in strings not in frames. Nadal doesnt even use the technology to its limit although he does use a very light frame, but then again who doesn't????

i think other players have benefit as much as rafa or possibly even more from technology. The other players just dont happent to have the same racquet head speed that nadal has.

JimmyV
08-25-2008, 05:09 AM
This thread is going to get really ugly.

Deboogle!.
08-25-2008, 05:10 AM
Agree or disagree but please don't bash each other or the players.Ohhhhh.... if only :lol:

valiant attempt, though :hug:

Action Jackson
08-25-2008, 05:13 AM
The answer my friend is blowing in the wind.

sheeter
08-25-2008, 05:15 AM
This thread is going to get really ugly.

Exactly what i thought. This could become a dueling ground.

duong
08-29-2009, 12:33 AM
I don't want to make this thread an "ugly duel", but rather ask some impressions about racket technology and the opportunity for Federer to change his racket,

as I just found this old article (from one year ago) but which I found quite interesting (apart from Federer, it speaks about old players and their rackets, especially the important move of racket by McEnroe in 1983) :

http://www.tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=140804

Do you think it would be good for Federer to use a larger frame to last longer (the article speaks especially about the adaptation of respective Agassi and Sampras to new rackets and about their importance in their carreer) ?

I don't want to make a new thread about this old article, but I found this thread partly related to the same topic, that's why I put it here.

Thanks for your impressions/informations :) , as I'm not an expert about rackets :o

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2009, 01:15 AM
Of course.

This is as obvious as saying the earth revolves around the sun.

Serenidad
08-29-2009, 01:29 AM
I always thought it was processed foods, food preseratives, and faster delivery methods.

Pork spoils quickly, y'know.

GlennMirnyi
08-29-2009, 01:34 AM
Technology has given us marvels of the sport like Fakervic, Nadull and Del Pony - clueless grinders, moonballers and ballbashers without any touch, feel or ability.

YAY.

Serenidad
08-29-2009, 01:58 AM
And Roddick should be on the top of your list, Gugu.

abraxas21
08-29-2009, 02:12 AM
Read it discuss it. Agree or disagree but please don't bash each other or the players.

well this is MTF, right?

Black Adam
08-29-2009, 02:21 AM
And Roddick should be on the top of your list, Gugu.
Roddick served a 140mph serve with a wooden racket. Fact is he owuld be more successful if he was in an earlier era:p

Serenidad
08-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Roddick served a 140mph serve with a wooden racket. Fact is he owuld be more successful if he was in an earlier era:p

He served 155 in this era and still hasn't done much. :p

duong
08-29-2009, 04:55 AM
Technology has given us marvels of the sport like Fakervic, Nadull and Del Pony - clueless grinders, moonballers and ballbashers without any touch, feel or ability.

YAY.

at least Djokovic has the second smallest frame after Federer.

And about my article about Fed changing racket ?

I didn't want to open a new thread but maybe I should :confused:

FairWeatherFan
08-29-2009, 05:47 AM
We all know Nadal would be nowhere near as successful without that giant sweet spot on his raquet. This is one of the major reasons why he is the greatest threat to the viability of the sport.

habibko
08-29-2009, 05:50 AM
I would be very surprised if Fed changed his racquet head size, but there would be nothing wrong in that.

on the original article, of course technology helped alot of players mainly Nadal, the topspin they can generate now was impossible in the past.

jazar
08-29-2009, 06:45 AM
at least Djokovic has the second smallest frame after Federer.

wrong. i can think of at least 4 players using a smaller headsize than djokovic (hewitt - 90 sq inch same as federer, ouanna - 90 sq inch same as federer, safin - 93 sq inch and dimitrov - 93 sq inch). djokovic uses at least a 95 sq inch, maybe even a 98.

sampras used the same racket to win 14 slams and he only really contemplated changing his headsize to have more success on play. federer has used pretty much the same racket to win 15 slams. he doesnt need to change, nor does he need people with no experience of playing tennis at the highest level telling him to change

duong
08-29-2009, 07:37 AM
wrong. i can think of at least 4 players using a smaller headsize than djokovic (hewitt - 90 sq inch same as federer, ouanna - 90 sq inch same as federer, safin - 93 sq inch and dimitrov - 93 sq inch). djokovic uses at least a 95 sq inch, maybe even a 98.

yes, I meant among the top-players (I took it from the article I quoted), sorry for the mistake.

in the article they said Djokovic used 93, did he enlarge it taking his new racket ?
can it explain he gets worse ?

More importantly what's Murray's racket size ?

Foxy
08-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Rafa would kill the crying baby even with wooden racquet. As Sampras hit easily 200kmh+ serve with wooden racquet.

Julio
08-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Sampras used to play with a 85 sq head size. Federer surely 88 or 90 paint job. I think Hewitt is playing with a 93 sq.

ShotmaKer
08-29-2009, 10:06 AM
What racket is Fed's K-Factor a paint job of ?

Julio
08-29-2009, 11:04 AM
What racket is Fed's K-Factor a paint job of ?

For me it's clearly a Wilson Pro Staff Tour 90. With (maybe) a different head size (88 sq. ?).

In order, Federer used during his career :
The Wilson Prostaff 6.0 Original 85 (Sampras's racquet) (look at his victory against Pistol Pete at SW19),
The Wilson Hyper Prostaff 6.0 / 6.1 95 (transition racquet),
and finally The Wilson Prostaff Tour 90.
The Wilson nCode nSix-One Tour 90 and the Wilson K Factor KSix-One Tour 90 are just paintjob imo.

andylovesaustin
08-29-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure exactly how the new technology benefits today's players like Rafa specifically, for example.

But, we watched the the U.S. Open 1981 between Borg and McEnroe during a rain delay last night. It's really amazing how much power they still had on their serve. It think Borg served one at 119 mph? Plus, I didn't really miss the power or speed of today's players. :shrug: Both McEnroe and Borg had some great passing shots. And McEnroe was great at the net, of course.

Too bad Borg lost in 4. Mary Jo Fernandez said something like that match caused him to retire? But I think he might have retired anyway because his wife was in the stands watching. I didn't realize he was married at that time. So who's to say he wouldn't have retired if he had won?

And I also think men should go back to wearing the shorter shorts! :lol: A little eye-candy never hurts. Speaking of, Borg was so handsome.. even with his really long hair. He's still a handsome older man now, I think. But as a youngster.. mama mia.. he was good-looking. He and Johnny McEnroe didn't look too friendly at that time, though.

andylovesaustin
08-29-2009, 12:15 PM
During the time everyone was using wooden rackets, didn't Jimmy Connors use a metal one?

Action Jackson
08-29-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure exactly how the new technology benefits today's players.

You aren't serious are you?

andylovesaustin
08-29-2009, 12:37 PM
You aren't serious are you?

Why are you always picking on me? :lol: You always quote me out of context. I haven't seen you here for a while, so I thought maybe you left. I was hoping you left.

Of course I am serious! :lol: I meant more to specific players. (I edited my post to make it clearer.) I think ALL of today's players benefit from the new technology. I already alluded to the general benefits in my post.

ShotmaKer
08-29-2009, 01:16 PM
For me it's clearly a Wilson Pro Staff Tour 90. With (maybe) a different head size (88 sq. ?).

The Wilson Prostaff 6.0 Original 85 (Sampras's racquet) (look at his victory against Pistol Pete at SW19),
The Wilson nCode nSix-One Tour 90 and the Wilson K Factor KSix-One Tour 90 are just paintjob imo.

Thanks mate.

Action Jackson
08-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Why are you always picking on me? :lol: You always quote me out of context. I haven't seen you here for a while, so I thought maybe you left. I was hoping you left.

Of course I am serious! :lol: I meant more to specific players. (I edited my post to make it clearer.) I think ALL of today's players benefit from the new technology. I already alluded to the general benefits in my post.

Oh boy.

Certinfy
08-29-2009, 01:26 PM
The answer my friend is blowing in the wind.:haha: Bob Dylan FTW!!! :worship:

HattonWBA
08-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Interesting Article

andylovesaustin
08-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Oh boy.

AJ, you always quote me out of context for some reason. The only reason I responded in this thread was in relation to that "classic" match I watched last night.

I was even thinking about the racket difference while watching the match. My husband and were like, "Wow, with wooden rackets, no less."

So.. I'm just saying...

jazar
08-29-2009, 06:57 PM
yes, I meant among the top-players (I took it from the article I quoted), sorry for the mistake.

in the article they said Djokovic used 93, did he enlarge it taking his new racket ?
can it explain he gets worse ?

More importantly what's Murray's racket size ?

djokovic most probably never used a 93; it was just a paintjob of a racket that was 93.

murray uses a 98

i do believe you are wrong. federers racket is most likely to resemble a k61 tour. the n61 and k61 were made with input from him; the main difference between his and the retail version was a custom drilled string pattern with greater spacing between the crosses. the k61 tour has slightly difference string spacing, more similar to what he actually uses.

FedFan_2007
08-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Everyone has benefited from the technology improvements. Federer would not be the player he is without the Luxilon strings.

duong
08-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks Jazar for your answer about Murray.

Anyone has an opinion whether it would be good for old Federer to use a larger frame ?

Roddickominator
08-29-2009, 07:14 PM
The next step in the evolution of the racket:

Wooden strings and nylon frames

Mjau!
06-06-2010, 04:02 PM
This very true. 3 out of 4 FO finalists used the same, new string technology that gives the players superior control & power. Tennis is becoming too much like swimming imo. In fact, this reminds me of the 2009 FINA World Championships in which the americans weren't using the latest high tech swim suit. This led to the best swimmer in the world - Michael Phelps - losing to a lesser swimmer with superior technology. Much like this year's RG final.

DualMedia
06-06-2010, 04:17 PM
tbh, honest, it added something to his shots!, but tennis is a sport where you need lots of hand-eye coordinator, so you can't say he would be nothing without it!

Mjau!
06-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Nadal's racket technology is superior? :lol:

Yes, the new strings saved his career and turned a mug like Franscesca Schiavone into an RG champion.

mcnasty
06-06-2010, 04:41 PM
i'm watching witc (world invitational tennis championship) on tennis channel. this is tennis played in circa 1976 with wooden rackets stringed with catgut where most of the players hit slice backhands and flat forehands. the exception is bjorn borg who hits topspin of both wings which was unheard of in those days.

i have to add that bjorn borg also uses a wooden racket stringed with catgut and yet it's obvious that his new style of play will make slice backhands and flat forehands a thing of the past as his style of play is infinitely more effective.

in light of this it's ridicilous to suggest that racket technology made rafael nadal. after all he's only doing what everyone else does, that is hit topspin off both wings, only better.

Mjau!
09-11-2010, 05:25 PM
If anyone doubted that Rafa Nadal's impending "GOATness" is ALL about racket technology you can stop now.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703453804575480023126380744.html?m od=WSJ_NY_Sports_LEFTTopStories

He even had new strings developed and custom made for his game! This is so much worse than what went on in swimming because it's a development that benefits specific players more than others. Nadal is just a super lucky Bruguera!

delpiero7
09-11-2010, 05:33 PM
The guy who wrote that article has clearly watched Reservoir Dogs a couple of hundred times too many.

delpiero7
09-11-2010, 05:37 PM
If anyone doubted that Rafa Nadal's impending "GOATness" is ALL about racket technology you can stop now.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703453804575480023126380744.html?m od=WSJ_NY_Sports_LEFTTopStories

He even had new strings developed and custom made for his game! This is so much worse than what went on in swimming because it's a development that benefits specific players more than others. Nadal is just a super lucky Bruguera!

ROFL. Are you suggesting that Nadal is cheating? This technology is available for ALL players to use, should they wish to do so. It's not as though Nadal is the only player permitted to use the new strings.

I don't know if you're aware, but players choose their racquet and strings based upon what would suit their game best. I don't see guys like Federer and Soderling refusing to embrace modern technology by bringing out the old wooden racquets.

bjurra
09-11-2010, 05:46 PM
This article was probably written about Muster 15 years ago.

Young 8
09-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Nadal new racquet

http://i56.tinypic.com/iz9lr5.jpg

Mjau!
09-11-2010, 06:39 PM
ROFL. Are you suggesting that Nadal is cheating? This technology is available for ALL players to use, should they wish to do so. It's not as though Nadal is the only player permitted to use the new strings.

I don't know if you're aware, but players choose their racquet and strings based upon what would suit their game best. I don't see guys like Federer and Soderling refusing to embrace modern technology by bringing out the old wooden racquets.

You don't get it! How many players had strings CUSTOM MADE for them? Maybe Federer, surely no one else! It's irrelevant that others may use the strings that were developed to suit Nadal's game to a tee! :rolleyes:

Besides, advancement in racket technology in general is bound to favour an extreme topspin monkey more than a clean ball striker like Robin Söderling. :wavey:

Mjau!
09-14-2010, 02:12 AM
The ATP must ban these new NASA-strings and introduce ONE brand of strings for ALL players. This has gone too far!

maskedmuffin
09-14-2010, 03:39 AM
Rafael nadal is the product of the changing technology WAY MORE than federer is.

To even consider nadal the GOAT at this point when you compare the two weapons these fine athletes wield ,and see what each can do with it, and you realize IMMEDIATELY which game is backwards compatible and which one would be filtered out. Hint : its not rogers

When you see roger hit out there compared to the other pros, remember this, he is the *only* guy i believe on tour who uses that 90 square inch wilson pro staff style racquet. Only guy; I believe nieminen used to, but has backed off.

That racquet is INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT to hit timing shots off of; It is even more difficult to general perfect rotational topspin the like that djokovic and nadul were producing with their weapons of choice. Simply put, it takes absolute wizardly footwork around the ball to get the full maximum of that racquet. When you watch roger at work with that racquet, and the supreme perfection it demands, you realize quite quickly which of the two contenders for GOAT dom would have the the toolset to translate into earlier eras of the graphite and pre graphite wooden game. Not even suggesting roger would be able to do it seamlessly, but he would have a MUCH easier time than rafa

Now..take rafa's hype by the media. They are constantly amazed by the kinds of shots he can hit when looking absolutely discombobulated; Yet he can "generate" the spin and the angle?

Are these guys kidding me? Quick vote for all of you out there who actually have played with the two different racquets. Very simple quiz. Which once allows you to come up with sick angles from behind the baseline easier?

Bueller, anyone? This should be obvious to even the most *basic* tennis player, the most amateurish ones, because they are the ones who usually start using the babolat frames early on. They are *built* for the tweener player and can be an absolute howitzer for the top guys.

Think rafa pulls off those cross court backhands with the "flick" of his wrist with the wilson 90?

Seriously, is this even debatable?

Rafa has an incredible advantage leveraging the technology at his disposal to generate spins that take his lefty advantage and move it to stratospheric levels. Seriously, the modern pro player will be of 2 molds:

The large flat ball hitter -querry delpo isner etc

And the heavy spinners- andreev, roddick with his "army" forehand (try doing that with an ncode 90 arod and see how much depth you get on the ball) nadal

Ask yourself which is more backwards compatible, and you get the answer.

23 straight semifinals while wielding by far the technically most challenging racquet on tour during that time period; by *far*

Get ready for a heavy dose of baboli-tis, coming to a town near you. This is where this game has de-volved to

maskedmuffin
09-14-2010, 03:41 AM
If murray was smart he would take that apple-turnover forehand he has and add the APDC to it

Would back nadul so far off the court wouldn't knew what hit him.

SheepleBuster
I am gonna sit this one out ;)

ys
Whatever helps him play better.. :shrug:

Topspindoctor
09-14-2010, 03:43 AM
Fedmug's fans are pathetic :o

Just admit that the geezer is done :yeah:

Action Jackson
Of course it has helped him, but that's not exactly surprising. Just doing what he can in his particular environment.

The Magician
:yeah: Interesting discussion of the more technical aspects of Nadull's predictable dominance and Federer's incredible dominance. I'll admit when Darin Cahill starts talking about different strings and racket-heads I'm totally lost, nice to see an unbiased overview here. Too bad this thread will be swarmed by Nadulltards if it hasn't already by the time this post loads :o

Priam
If you were in Nadal's shoes, what do you do?

M4RC
09-14-2010, 03:44 AM
C'mon, you can do better. Federer can pick the raquet he wants, even the same Nadal wields as long as he gets a contract with Babolat.

So just shut the fuck up and keep trying. This excuse is hilarious.

Chloe le Bopper
09-14-2010, 03:45 AM
Nadal is barely an athlete. Totally.

Mjau!
09-14-2010, 03:48 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703453804575480023126380744.html

gulzhan
:yeah: Interesting discussion of the more technical aspects of Nadull's predictable dominance and Federer's incredible dominance. I'll admit when Darin Cahill starts talking about different strings and racket-heads I'm totally lost, nice to see an unbiased overview here. Too bad this thread will be swarmed by Nadulltards if it hasn't already by the time this post loads :o

GET OUT OF GM, CLOWN WHO DOESN'T KEEP HIS PROMISE AND PRETENDS IT NEVER EXISTED.

You really think MTF is so dumb? You think people will allow you to make them look as fools?

You'd look less disgusting if you'd at least kept the signature with the promise. I mean, then it'd look like you make a challenge. But you, coward, took it off! And now pretend you never made such a promise?!

Change your avatar NOW or GET OUT!

Deivid23
Agree. Even IBM fake their stats to make us believe he hit more winners than Djokovic in a Slam final.

finishingmove
09-14-2010, 03:49 AM
Nadal is a product of uncle Toni, my friend.

And what a product.

You watch that honesty, modesty and innocence and hope his bubble never bursts.

Smoke944
Nadal new racquet

:lol:

GugaF1
yeah so what every champion that came along incorporated new technology into his playing. Otherwise we would still be on wood.

The Magician
09-14-2010, 03:51 AM
Agree. Even IBM fake their stats to make us believe he hit more winners than Djokovic in a Slam final, I mean, come on, do they really think they can fool us?

I can't tell if this is sarcasm but I'm sure you know winners and UE are based on some guy's opinion, it's not like they're set in stone or unbiased. Someone like Nadull will naturally have more UE just because his game gives the illusion that his errors are forced, while someone like Novak will naturally have a lower winner count because he can't finish points at net.

The Magician
09-14-2010, 03:52 AM
GET OUT OF GM, CLOWN WHO DOESN'T KEEP HIS PROMISE AND PRETENDS IT NEVER EXISTED.

You really think MTF is so dumb? You think people will allow you to make them look as fools?

You'd look less disgusting if you'd at least kept the signature with the promise. I mean, then it'd look like you make a challenge. But you, coward, took it off! And now pretend you never made such a promise?!

Change your avatar NOW or GET OUT!

I'll do it later, see if I can be subversive enough to keep my interest in tennis :devil::wavey:

Mjau!
09-14-2010, 03:52 AM
yeah so what every champion that came along incorporated new technology into his playing. Otherwise we would still be on wood.

I much prefer wood over plastic.

The golden era of tennis was 1974-1981

@Sweet Cleopatra
09-14-2010, 03:54 AM
Out of 6 billion people on planet earth, Rafa is the only one that used this technology to win his career grand slam at 24 yrs old. Why did he succeed and all others did not?

The Magician
09-14-2010, 03:55 AM
Nadal new racquet

:haha:

@Sweet Cleopatra
09-14-2010, 03:56 AM
I'll do it later, see if I can be subversive enough to keep my interest in tennis :devil::wavey:

Be a man and do what you said you are going to do. You said if Nadal wins US open you are going to change your avatar to his photo so where is it?

gulzhan
09-14-2010, 03:56 AM

I'll do it later... What are you, a 12 yo?!

Then put the sig back! You can't remove it and pretend it didn't exist. Not when you post on ADULT forum!

And take Mahut's name from your sig too, the guy is a model of honesty and you dirty his name by your appreciation.

No one wants to hear what you think until you keep your promise!

CHANGE YOUR AVATAR FOR RAFA'S PICTURE OR GET OUT OF GM!

maskedmuffin
09-14-2010, 03:59 AM
Great job on the WSJ article (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703453804575480023126380744.html)

For those who are wondering why no one else has done it yet, TIME my friends..give it time

tennis will now undoubtedly spiral into that oblivion faster and faster, now that MR. SPINNY has given Babolat their path to glory

Doubt me? Look at mrs. Nadal, Caroline Wozniacki..staying at #2 at the ripe age of what..20?

More are on the way

I look forward to the day a person the size of delpo but yielding that babolat creates such ginormous spins it makes rafa look like a tiny kid, and leaves him in the dust.

gulzhan
09-14-2010, 04:00 AM

Who cares about your opinion, LIER?

GET OUT OF GM, IT'S NOT A PLACE FOR TEENAGERS WHO SWEAR TO DO SOMETHING AND THEN PRETEND IT NEVER HAPPENED.

maskedmuffin
09-14-2010, 06:23 AM
So, nadal discovered his new serve just "days" before the fortnight huh, per commentators?

Kind of like the whole "PRT" was so good on the left knee that he he had to go back and get the right one done as well, pronto! Boy, that surely helped give him a kick to that 130 mph roddick like heat.

I am sure we will be seeing plenty more of this new and improved serve throughout the next few years, as i doubt we should see any more of that old haggard stuff going forward, no :confused:
:angel:

maskedmuffin
09-14-2010, 06:24 AM

GET OUT OF GM, IT'S NOT A PLACE FOR TEENAGERS WHO SWEAR TO DO SOMETHING AND THEN PRETEND IT NEVER HAPPENED.

appears to be for RFK

leng jai
09-14-2010, 06:33 AM

Calm down petal, anger doesn't suit you.

oz_boz
09-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Yes, and he is the first one and yet only to utilize the possibilities to their full potential! A bit like Borg back in the 70's. Will be interestinng to see if his style will be used by more, or if it is too hard to play that extreme for most players. Personally I think it is, I fancy that more DelPo's will be around, and Rafa's style will not be copied, like also happened with Borg.

Shirogane
09-14-2010, 09:52 AM

+1

maskedmuffin
09-14-2010, 02:18 PM

Then that actually answers all these silly petulant comments by the turds in here

One guy, federer, continues to play with the hardest racquet, most demanding racquet the tour has to offer, in light of his peers switching to bigger heads, lighter heads, more whippy heads

And what does he do? still reach deep into tournament and even wins GS

nadul takes the technological buttress that is afforded to him because he could not hang otherwise

Would love to hear RFK and other turd's rebuttal to this the most basic of points

azinna
09-14-2010, 02:51 PM
I'll say it again: no slam champion since at least the mid-1900s has not benefited tremendously from advances in racquet technology.

Also, in the 90's, arguments similar to Federer v Nadal were raised and hashed out when discussing the racquets Sampras and Agassi used. Not as easy to tease out as some would think. The folks who really knew the game admitted that, sure, Andre would mishit more returns with Sampras' racquet. But many key aspects of Pete's game and shots depended on the heaviness of his own instrument and the tight stringing he preferred. Give him Andre's racquet and we'll likely see long volleys, long backhands and several big points played tentatively.

borracho
09-14-2010, 03:16 PM
personally I think developing racquet technologies is a DISadvantage for more defensive oriented players like Nadal. Balls come faster and sharper, so it's harder to retrieve them.

Jagermeister
09-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Then that actually answers all these silly petulant comments by the turds in here

One guy, federer, continues to play with the hardest racquet, most demanding racquet the tour has to offer, in light of his peers switching to bigger heads, lighter heads, more whippy heads

nadul takes the technological buttress that is afforded to him because he could not hang otherwise

And yet a new variety of sour grapes.

Federer doesn't switch racquets not because of some loyalty to tradition or some personal challenge that he'll do it the hard way, but because it doesn't suit his game. Same reason why we all buy a specific racquet.

You guys really need to stop embarrassing yourselves. Nadal won the US Open, and the sun will rise again. Chin up.

maskedmuffin
09-14-2010, 04:13 PM
And yet a new variety of sour grapes.

Federer doesn't switch racquets not because of some loyalty to tradition or some personal challenge that he'll do it the hard way, but because it doesn't suit his game. Same reason why we all buy a specific racquet.

You guys really need to stop embarrassing yourselves. Nadal won the US Open, and the sun will rise again. Chin up.

And once again the TURDS miss the point of this thread

Fed doesnt need to switch racquets to show the genius of his game; Point is his immense footwork around the ball would enable him to win gs with the babolat way more than nadul trying to wind up the blx 90 and hit his type of ball

thats the simple fact. One guy depends on racquet technology to make his game superior to his peers. The other guy due to his amazing footwork would still be up in the top 5 due to his inherent talent

Again: simple question. Switch the twos racquets. put them out there on any court, even clay. Ask yourself which guy will have an easier time figuring out how to maximize their technology and applying their talent for victory?

the answer is obviously federer.

Jagermeister
09-14-2010, 04:30 PM
And once again the TURDS miss the point of this thread

yak yak yak

Again: simple question. Switch the twos racquets. put them out there on any court, even clay. Ask yourself which guy will have an easier time figuring out how to maximize their technology and applying their talent for victory?

the answer is obviously federer.

The original point of the thread wasn't the point your trying to make.

The answer is obviously some people are trying to belittle Nadal's achievements by twisting the original topic into something else. Racquet technology is just one factor of Nadal's success but it's NOT the main factor.

And your point is still speculation but at least you tried to make an argument there

Looks like this muffin hasn't been buttered in a while. Dust off that nasty old thing every now and then.

azinna
09-14-2010, 05:44 PM
One misses a fundamental point when assuming Federer doesn't use modern technology to accentuate his talents, his natural stroke propensities and the way he likes to win points; all essential to making him "superior to his peers" in any given peak year.

It's also a misread of the game and tour to assume that the gap between Federer and other players is so wide that a change of racquets -- even after a period of adjustment -- won't have him losing matches he would've won.

Mjau!
09-26-2010, 07:48 PM
For how long will this arms race be allowed to continue before the authorities finally put their foot down? It must be stopped sooner or later!

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-26-2010, 09:08 PM

Would love to hear RFK and other turd's rebuttal to this the most basic of points

Hey clown,

Evolution is part of life. Tech evolves and the evoled human beings like Nadal use that new tech to beat the old weaklings like Fed.

Nostalgia is for the weak old men who cant compete anymore.

Evolve or get out the way.

Nadal is the evolution of tennis, just like RFK is the evolution of logic.

P.S. I don't swear as that is the weapon of devolved Fedtard creatures

Mjau!
09-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Who is this Clay Death wannabe? :silly:

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-26-2010, 09:16 PM

Lol, you joined in 09

Ask clay death who was fighting the good fight (against the fedtards) before he joined

There are so few of the creatures (fedtards) left that I have taken a break and let others beat up on them for a while

BigJohn
09-26-2010, 09:22 PM

He's special.

The Magician
09-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks Jazar for your answer about Murray.

Anyone has an opinion whether it would be good for old Federer to use a larger frame ?

What happened to Duong? He/she was a good poster :sad:

Interesting question. Federer's passing shots have gotten so much worse than in his prime, as has his FH. Even though a lot of this comes down to his worse footwork, I think a larger frame would help. However, I think a larger frame would hurt his serve, which is based on precision and technique rather than power or height. Switching rackets is never easy, and I'm not sure Federer has the time to get used to serving with a new racket. IMO, best case scenario is the good parts of his game stay the same and his weaknesses are less exposed (which may be enough for another period of domination), but the worst case is his game totally falls apart for a couple of years like Fakervic. Big risk basically, if he doesn't win any slams in 2011 then I'll advocate it.

swisht4u
09-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Nadal definitely was helped by the ongoing technology as were many players. He is not alone.
Nadal was able to adjust and make changes. I think he could have done so in any ERA, he constantly is trying to improve.
It is a credit to his work ethic.
As far as trying to do better and use what tools he is given there have been few that can match him.

Clay Death
09-27-2010, 01:17 AM
horse shit. other top guns have access to the same technology.

secondly, clay warrior`s domination of the sport is a product of 4 things and 4 things alone. write them down folks.

1. he is a superior athlete first and foremost. the dude is a monster athlete. he would have been a star in any number of sports. they have actually done studies on him. before he damaged his knees, his speed was equal to that of the fastest cornerbacks in the NFL. its still not too shabby.

**you may as well throw in his racquet head acceleration and speed. nobody in the history of mankind has ever had the kind of racquet head speed and acceleration that he is able produce time and again.

2. relentless will. this is pretty clear if you ask me.

3. hard work. that is all he has ever known. i dont think anybody works harder than nadal. murray is to be commended as well for hard work while i am at it.

4. incredible drive and hunger.

these 4 things make him what he is.

Topspindoctor
09-27-2010, 02:42 AM
Thread starter is a clown. Enough said.

Kiedis
09-27-2010, 03:32 AM
Every player is free to choose his weapons.

WILSON LAUNCHES REVOLUTIONARY NEW RACKET TECHNOLOGY- Roger Federer and Juan Martin Del Potro Debut New Rackets for 2010

The wait is over! After much anticipation, Wilson’s new racket technology, BLX, is out and will be in the hands of the best tennis players around the world in January 2010.

But what is BLX? What makes this racket stand out from the rest? One simple word: FEEL!

BLX is the new Wilson racket technology engineered with BASALT fibers also combining proprietary frame, grommet and grip technologies for THE PERFECT FEEL.

http://gnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/WilsonSixoneTour90-1-545x332.jpg

Basalt is a natural volcanic rock that can be used in manufacturing and made into ultrafine gold fibers. Basalt fibers are woven longitudinally with Wilson exclusive [K]arophite Black to create the most advanced composite in the industry. Like noise-cancelling headphones are filtering out unwanted external noise, Basalt added to the matrix filters the unwanted extreme frequencies in the racket. BLX, the new Wilson racquet technology delivers a cleaner feedback and better sensation. (BL) stands for basalt which is combined to 9 other variables and in total, 10 (X) elements are all connected together for the PERFECT FEEL.

The 15 time Grand Slam Champion, Roger Federer, will be leading the way with his new Six.One Tour BLX racket starting in Abu Dhabi for his first match January 1, 2010. Federer’s continued success is a result of Wilson’s ever evolving technology and BLX is no exception. “I know Wilson will always provide me with the best racket for my game with the latest technology” Federer said recently after switching to his new BLX racket. “This change will provide me with the added feel and performance I want to further enhance my game in 2010 and beyond.”

Juan Martin Del Potro, the recent US Open winner and ranked #5 in the world, switched to a BLX and a new family of rackets. Del Potro will be on the court with the Pro Tour BLX and looks to become even more of a threat on Tour.

Wilson’s innovations allow their athletes to stay ahead of their competitors and keep improving their game. BLX is just another example of how Wilson, the #1 brand in tennis, continues to provide pros on tour as well as millions of players around the world with the most revolutionary technology.