us open 2008 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

us open 2008

Marine
08-21-2008, 08:33 PM
I don't know if it's very useful to make a thread... he'll play Paul Henri Mathieu in first round.

aliasthad
08-21-2008, 11:43 PM
I don't know if it's very useful to make a thread... he'll play Paul Henri Mathieu in first round.

:eek: :rolleyes:

Tulipe
08-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Of course it is! You never know! Maybe in case someone kiddnaps Mathieu on the way to the stadium... :rolleyes:

Bobble
08-22-2008, 06:38 PM
just think australian open 2006, seb can make it happen!:rolleyes:

GrosjeanFan1994
08-24-2008, 11:18 AM
:awww: Well we can still hope! If only they had some consolation draw :hug:
Seb and Gicquel vs. Rohan Bopanna (IND) & Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi (PAK)
A chance here perhaps? What do we know about these two? (Bopanna and Qureshi). Then possible eight seeds :sad:

soulage
08-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Well after this new defeat, he begin to think to retire. He will take a decision at the end of the year.

Le Français Sébastien Grosjean, battu par son compatriote Paul-Henri Mathieu (N.24) au premier tour de l'US Open mardi, a indiqué qu'il prendrait une décision à la fin de la saison quant à une possible retraite.

Interrogé après sa défaite en quatre sets -- 6-7 (4/7), 7-6 (7/5), 6-3, 6-2 -- sur le fait de savoir s'il pensait mettre un terme à sa carrière en fin de saison, le Marseillais a répondu: «Bien sûr j'y pense.

.. Si j'ai des doutes et si je dois me faire infiltrer tous les trois mois, c'est gênant. Je ne prends pas de plaisir. Je prendrai une décision à la fin de l'année.»

Grosjean, actuel 70e mondial, est handicapé par une douleur à l'épaule droite qui lui a gâché la saison. Son meilleur résultat sur le circuit ATP en 2008 est un quart de finale à Sydney, au mois de janvier.

«J'ai très bien servi pendant les deux premiers sets mais par contre, je n'ai pas pas bien joué dans l'échange, a déclaré Grosjean. Dans l'ensemble, c'était un mauvais match. Le point positif est que je sors de ce match sans douleur (à l'épaule). J'ai refait une infiltration dix jours avant le tournoi.»

Grosjean a remporté quatre titres ATP dans sa carrière, dont le dernier à Lyon en octobre, et a disputé quatre demi-finales de tournoi du Grand Chelem, à Melbourne et Roland-Garros en 2001 puis à Wimbledon en 2003 et 2004

GrosjeanFan1994
08-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Unlucky Seb :sad:
Retirement? Oh no *sniff*
Is there any chance of a translation of the above? (Where did you find it?)
I thought this score look like quite a good effort considering his injuries and stuff ... Did anyone get to watch it?

Truc
08-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Is there any chance of a translation of the above? (Where did you find it?)Asked if he sometimes considers retiring, he answers: "Of course I'm thinking of it... If I am in doubt and need injections every 3 months, it's a problem. I'm not enjoying it. I'll take a decision at the end of the year."
"I served very well during the first 2 sets, but I wasn't playing well during the rallies. All in all, it was a bad match. The positive thing is that my shoulder isn't hurting after the match. I had an injection again 10 days ago."

I didn't know his shoulder is still bothering him so much.

(It's on the website of L'Equipe, for example:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2008/20080827_082003_grosjean-pourrait-arreter_Dev.html)

GrosjeanFan1994
08-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Asked if he sometimes considers retiring, he answers: "Of course I'm thinking of it... If I am in doubt and need injections every 3 months, it's a problem. I'm not enjoying it. I'll take a decision at the end of the year."
"I served very well during the first 2 sets, but I wasn't playing well during the rallies. All in all, it was a bad match. The positive thing is that my shoulder isn't hurting after the match. I had an injection again 10 days ago."

I didn't know his shoulder is still bothering him so much.

(It's on the website of L'Equipe, for example:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2008/20080827_082003_grosjean-pourrait-arreter_Dev.html)

Thanks! Great help! (Bad interview :sad:)
Me neither, I thought it was more his leg? Is he over that now?

Thanks for the link!

aliasthad
08-27-2008, 11:05 AM
I thought it was more his leg? Is he over that now?

I didn't know his shoulder was quite that bad either - and he hit 22 aces!!! :eek:

:hug:

soulage
08-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Sorry I posted quickly this morning and didn't have time to translate.

He only thinks about witch it's quite normal with his shoulder's promblem but I'm sure he doesn't want to retire.

GrosjeanFan1994
08-27-2008, 02:13 PM
he hit 22 aces!!! :eek:

:hug:
Yeah. How can he hit that many with a bad shoulder?! Just makes you think what he could serve like with out an injured shoulder! And only a gap of 17 total points. That's a tough thing to take :sad:
Is he considering retiring because of his injuries or what?

Truc
08-27-2008, 02:36 PM
I listened to his audio interview and he gives more details, here's roughly what he says in French:

He means it's already better than one month ago because he couldn't play tennis during the last month. He also wasn't sure he would be able to play the USO, his shoulder was hurting.
So he played a poor match, but at least he isn't in pain after 4 sets, which is positive.
He had an injection 10 days ago because he couldn't lift the arm, he couldn't serve.
He needs to strengthen his shoulder more so he can serve normally. He served well against PHM, but his strength starts to fail him after 90 minutes of play.
The journalist asks him then if he's sometimes considering a retirement because he's been complaining for months now and the pain doesn't seem to get any better.
He answers he didn't feel any pain today. But of course, he considers all the options. He didn't enjoy the match a lot. And there aren't many tournaments left this year.
He'll take his decision at the end of the season. Is he able to play tennis without any pain? Is he still motivated?
If he's still in pain and needs an injection every 3 months, it's a problem for sure. But if he manages to strengthen his shoulder enough so he can play without being in pain, the motivation will come back. It's been very frustrating not being able to play without any pain since the beginning of the year.
There is a fissure on 2 sinews. It's a little bit the same problem as Scud. It also caused a tendinitis.
He needs to do a lot of rehab to get rid of the pain. And then, "we'll see". It's a common problem for tennis players.
http://www.fft.fr/usopen/2008/?id=4013

Bobble
08-27-2008, 02:43 PM
thanks for the info.

still i am fearful of his retirement

Truc
08-27-2008, 02:52 PM
His audio interview sounds better imo than the little bits in L'Equipe & Co. because he really stresses that he won't retire if he manages to get rid of the pain.

Then again, he has already taken longer breaks this year and it doesn't seem to have helped a lot.
But he always talked of taking some time off for his shoulder, while he's talking more of rehab this time, so maybe it will get better with appropriate rehab exercises?

aliasthad
08-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks so much for all the translating Truc! :worship:

Fingers crossed for Seb...

Marine
08-27-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm not optimistic about the next months.
It's the first time seb talks about a possible retirement, it's not easy to hear, it's the tougher moment for the fans :sad:

GrosjeanFan1994
08-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the translation :worship:

Me neither Marine. I really hope he can recover as much as he feels is necessary for him to keep playing. Hopefully completely healthy!
*fingers crossed Seb, keep going* :hug:

KellyluvsGrosjean
08-28-2008, 09:36 AM
:eek:Retire...!

I always dream of seeing Seb's match in flesh (the best would be Wimbledon)... not on TV, so, if he decides to retire, the chance will be so so so so small...

Well, it's certain that he would quit but to me, things come too fast... :sad::sad::sad:

But of course, if it's good for his health and his life with the family, he needs to do it...

Tulipe
08-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Well, I somehow can't imagine him retiring and not trying to say his goodbye at the French Open... I think everyone talks about retirement if you ask them after a match they are not content with. So did Coria immediately after Kitzbuhel, and he changed his mind after two days.

It's difficult, of course, getting back after a long break and being limited by an injury. Even if you don't feel any pain, you still think about it and are afraid you can make it worse. Now he has the whole month to recover and do some rehab, his next tournament is Bangkok starting September 23, I think.

P.S. And we all know L'Équipe just likes to...well...exaggerate (a very mild word from me) :rolleyes:

GrosjeanFan1994
08-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Yes, lets hope.
I would think that he would want to play at the French before he retires too. Lets hope!
Wish him well for the recovery! :hug:

KellyluvsGrosjean
08-30-2008, 06:33 PM
How come he doesn't play the games in mainland China!? Thailand!? I can't go there...
The reality can be... I won't have the chance to see him playing on the court (instead of TV) until he retires... :sad::sad::sad: I am extremely sad...
Hopefully I will have some luck... :awww::awww:

soulage
08-30-2008, 07:06 PM
With Marc they're in third round of double tournament :)

Marine
08-30-2008, 08:27 PM
I miss him :awww:

If only he could become a good double player...

aliasthad
09-01-2008, 12:03 AM
It might be possible to see Seb's Doubles match in the UK tomorrow against Lopez/Verdasco if Sky Sports Interactive continues to cover Court 11. Just a slim chance, but it would be nice to see Seb play again...:cool:

aliasthad
09-01-2008, 05:34 PM
It might be possible to see Seb's Doubles match in the UK tomorrow against Lopez/Verdasco if Sky Sports Interactive continues to cover Court 11. Just a slim chance, but it would be nice to see Seb play again...:cool:

Looks like they're now only broadcasting the show courts - dammit! :sad:

GrosjeanFan1994
09-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Looks like they're now only broadcasting the show courts - dammit! :sad:

Aww. :sad: Why do they hardly show Seb in the UK? They only show him at Queens it seems :(