Rafa is really the next Borg:ras: loses the SF to Murray- Great tournament still !! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa is really the next Borg:ras: loses the SF to Murray- Great tournament still !!

Pages : [1] 2

tennizen
08-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Well the moment of truth will be upon us shortly. Will this be the end of my thread starting career? Will I ever be called upon to shoulder this responsibility again? Exciting times ahead at the USOpen. Wait and watch.

Note: Realisitic expectations are called for here. Rafa should be expected to make the semi-final. Any lower and off with my head:lol: Without a win for Rafa here, I will cease my thread starting, however:lol:

Note 2: Credit to WG for the thread title:worship:

Edit::woohoo: Rafa makes first USOpen semi. At this point, I consider my thread starting a success. However, I still strive on diligently pursuing a win for Rafa here:lol:

l_mac
08-19-2008, 09:09 PM
:woohoo:

Finally a thread!

I sense his draw will be awful. Isner 1st round, Gonzo in the 3rd round, Delpo 4th, Denko in the QF, Nole in the semis.

cmurray
08-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Put me down for the big WIN, Metis. I don't need to see no stinking draw...

the biscuit
08-19-2008, 09:17 PM
The final. He won't draw Djokovic. #1s get cakewalk draws.

Unless that was just when it came to Federer of course...

mashamaniac
08-19-2008, 10:05 PM
I hope del potro will be drawn to play nole sooner than rafa! a first round encounter with isner also won't be much of a tough match IMHO...

Lopaka
08-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Wow a US Open thread.:woohoo: Never thought the excitement of seeing a tournament thread could make me concerned about embarrassing myself.:bs:

I'd much rather be safe than sorry - Rafa for winner!

Metis
08-20-2008, 02:33 AM
Last slam in the cometition, last chance to score big! Will we get a new front runner or will the current leaders secure an even bigger advantage over the rest of the field? Stay tuned!

How far will Rafa go in the US Open? (200 :eek: points at stake)

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF - Metis, wildegirl05
SF - acionescu, MariaV, Minn, rafa maniac, tennizen, The Nadal Effect, Xristos
F - Tess Gray, the biscuit
W - Bachelor Dandy, cmurray, Foxy, GuiroNl, Lopaka, Luvyoyoma1954, mashamaniac, RafaTheBest

Current MIT standings after the Olympics: :D

GuiroNl __________940
Xoman___________940

Foxy ____________860
Tnn74 ___________860

nashty___________840

tangerine_dream ___800

spriwi____________725

cmurray _________ 700
Luvyoyoma1954____700

hra87 ___________660
raven_gypsy______ 660

M.C. _____________600
scarecrows________600
Xristos ___________600

Getta____________505
NaDaLiTa_________505

tennischeto________500
Tess Gray_________500

Blaze-2004 _______460
Denisse __________460
MariaV___________460

elessar___________400
rafa_maniac_______400
TMJordan _________400

Bachelor Dandy_____380

shawshank________300

The Pro __________260

Lopaka___________180

platinum__________160

acionescu_________100
Chocolate&Rafa_____100
Heavenseventeen ___100
Minn_____________100
tennizen__________100

luised_____________80
NancyIsabelle_______80

Agassi Fan_________60

the biscuit
08-20-2008, 06:48 AM
I hope del potro will be drawn to play nole sooner than rafa! a first round encounter with isner also won't be much of a tough match IMHO...

Well for me Del Potro hasn't been that convincing. The only Top 10 player he beat in his winning streak is Roddick. And Roddick is NOT deserving of his Top 10 position.

GuiroNl
08-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Just put me down for a win please Metis. For the first time I think it's possible for him the win a hard court slam, might as well happen now.

Rather lose the MIT by being optimistic and some other nonsense ... ;)

Xristos
08-20-2008, 12:18 PM
SF for me please.

Vamooos!

Luvyoyoma1954@co
08-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Metis,

Please put me down for a WIN FOR RAFA.

Luvyoyoma1954@co
08-20-2008, 12:28 PM
The final. He won't draw Djokovic. #1s get cakewalk draws.

Unless that was just when it came to Federer of course...

I am counting on your words. :bigclap:

Luvyoyoma1954@co
08-20-2008, 12:33 PM

I would LOVE to see Del Porto with an early match against Novack. Oh, with Del Porto's self belief right now it could work out perfectly.

Bibberz
08-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Rafa FTW.

wildegirl05
08-20-2008, 01:48 PM
i'm going with quarters :unsure:

cmurray
08-20-2008, 01:49 PM
i'm going with quarters :unsure:

:( Still, I guess it's one round better than last year.....:rolls:

wildegirl05
08-20-2008, 01:51 PM
:( Still, I guess it's one round better than last year.....:rolls:

exactly :D i feel too much pressure from already being credited for the thread title. i don't want to tempt fate :scared: :scared:

The_Nadal_effect
08-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Metis,

My first MIT entry should get me some freebies, right (besides the obvious points I'll get when my prediction comes true)??? :D *offers a rose*

The overrated clay court clown should lose it in the semis against the Serbian Smug! So, semis it is!

rafa_maniac
08-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Sadly, I'm going with semis. If I'm wrong, and he goes further, well that's wonderful, and if I'm right, well at least I get 200 points! :sobbing: Seriously though, I can't see him winning here... but that doesn't worry me, he's achieved more than I could ever have imagined already this year, as long as he has a good showing, preferably his best yet at the US Open, I'll be content.

Foxy
08-20-2008, 05:31 PM
I think Rafa deserves an easy road at USO this time after all these horrible draws in 2008 up until now.

rafa_maniac
08-20-2008, 05:53 PM
I think Rafa deserves an easy road at USO this time after all these horrible draws in 2008 up until now.

It would make a nice change, BUT... The last time I was truly content with one of Rafa's draws was... Rome :rolls:

Foxy
08-20-2008, 06:00 PM
It would make a nice change, BUT... The last time I was truly content with one of Rafa's draws was... Rome :rolls:

What an irony indeed.

Since I was on a vacation abroad last week, I downloaded most of Rafa's matches at the Olympics today. As I am watching now I notice Rafa have been way fresher than Cincy. So if he is fresh again and well rested at USO it would need somebody to play lights out tennis to beat him. Even Djoko and Rog will have hard time against him. He is just incredible these days. Hope he continues to play this amazing tennis at USO.

rafa_maniac
08-20-2008, 06:38 PM
What an irony indeed.

Since I was on a vacation abroad last week, I downloaded most of Rafa's matches at the Olympics today. As I am watching now I notice Rafa have been way fresher than Cincy. So if he is fresh again and well rested at USO it would need somebody to play lights out tennis to beat him. Even Djoko and Rog will have hard time against him. He is just incredible these days. Hope he continues to play this amazing tennis at USO.

His play at the Olympics (namely the final) was the best hardcourt tennis of his career imo. Up until then I thought his wins over Karlovic, Roddick and Djokovic consecutively to win Queens on fast grass the week after Wimbledon was Nadal's most "impressive" tournament victory in his career, but winning the Olympics on super fast hardcourt against the competition he faced possibly tops it. I truly believe now he is perfectly capable of winning ANY tournament if he plays up to his potential. As such, the only thing I'm really fussed about with his US Open draw is that he doesn't draw Djoko AGAIN. Apart from Djoko, what I'm most concerned will stop Rafa at the US Open is season burn-out, and an emotional let down after all the success he's had of late. I can't see him going this one big step further, it's too much :sad:

mashamaniac
08-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Guys,How can i take part in MIT competition?? is it just to specify which round will rafa go or something?

mashamaniac
08-20-2008, 07:57 PM
If I'm ever allowed to play then I'd say rafa for winner this year!

MariaV
08-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Guys,How can i take part in MIT competition?? is it just to specify which round will rafa go or something?

Yes that's right. That's all you have to predict.

Metis, put me down for semifinal. I know I've failed miserably lately and dropped down in the MIT ranking rapidly but I'm still cautious with my prediction. :)

Edit: Oh and I forgot to give credit for the excellent thread title. :D :hatoff:

l_mac
08-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm waiting for the draw.

Still on 0 :rocker2:

Tess Gray
08-21-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm waiting for the draw.
Yeah, me too. For me it pretty much depends on Djokovic and his draw :o

Still on 0 :rocker2:
:hug: :lol:

Foxy
08-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah, me too. For me it pretty much depends on Djokovic and his draw :o

:hug: :lol:

When (IF) Djoko is drawn in Rafa's half I wonder what will some trolls' excuse be in GM this time. Last time they were claiming number 2 and 3 had always played in one in the same half before. So it had been fair to be that way. But now Rafa is number 1. Also "it had been still statisctically possible to draw Rafa and Nole for the third and (probably now) forth successive time". Then it was Ferrer and Nadal cannot play in one in the same half at the Olympics because they were top players from the same country. These mugs are quite creative I should confess. They have answers for everything.

One thing is for sure it would be quite interesting in GM after the draw is made.

Tess Gray
08-21-2008, 10:26 AM
When (IF) Djoko is drawn in Rafa's half I wonder what will some trolls' excuse be in GM this time. Last time they were claiming number 2 and 3 had always played in one in the same half before. So it had been fair to be that way. But now Rafa is number 1. Also "it had been still statisctically possible to draw Rafa and Nole for the third and (probably now) forth successive time". Then it was Ferrer and Nadal cannot play in one in the same half at the Olympics because they were top players from the same country. These mugs are quite creative I should confess. They have answers for everything.

One thing is for sure it would be quite interesting in GM after the draw is made.

It's always interesting in GM :lol: There are quite some characters running around over there. I hardly post there but I think it's hilarious to read all the messages being posted. Everybody hating on everybody. :rolleyes:

But it should make another nice topic in GM, I agree :lol:

Foxy
08-21-2008, 10:27 AM
BTW, when is Rafa arriving in NYC? :scratch:

tennizen
08-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Metis- SF for me:scared:

star
08-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Weather looks good for the USO first week. Some rain on Thursday and Friday, but otherwise, temp hovering around 80 to 84 for the high.

I really want Nadal to do well here. I think he will. Maybe he won't win it, but as long as he improves over last year, I'm fine with it.

l_mac
08-21-2008, 03:24 PM
BTW, when is Rafa arriving in NYC? :scratch:

He was meant to fly to NY straight from Beijing, where Toni and his friend Tomeu (for company :awww: Rafa :hug:) would be waiting for him.

Haven't read anything about a sighting of him though. Maybe Adam will see him today.

l_mac
08-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Weather looks good for the USO first week. Some rain on Thursday and Friday, but otherwise, temp hovering around 80 to 84 for the high.

I really want Nadal to do well here. I think he will. Maybe he won't win it, but as long as he improves over last year, I'm fine with it.

Agreed. In fact, even if he crashes out in the 1st round, I'll be fine with it because FO and Wimbledon was beyond what I dared to hope for him, and the Gold medal and #1 ranking were just ... ... I have no words :bigcry:

tennizen
08-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Draw is up

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/ms/r1s1.html

Nalbandian/Blake likely QF opponents. Murray in his half. No Nole:lol: But easier draws are always :scared::unsure: Remember David Ferrer last year:(

rafa_maniac
08-21-2008, 06:19 PM
First decent draw for Rafa in months! Thinking of changing my prediction to F, but Ill stay with SF.

Metis
08-21-2008, 06:21 PM
not too bad :shrug:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOP HALF :D

Rafael Nadal (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=130206#) ESP (1) v Qualifier
Qualifier v Olivier Rochus BEL
Viktor Troicki SRB v Carsten Ball AUS
Luis Horna PER v Philipp Kohlschreiber GER (25)

Tomas Berdych CZE (22) v Sam Querrey USA
Pablo Andujar ESP v Nicolas Devilder FRA
Rainer Schuettler GER v Florent Serra FRA
Qualifier v Ivo Karlovic CRO (14)

James Blake USA (9) v Donald Young USA
Denis Gremelmayr GER v Steve Darcis BEL
Mardy Fish USA v Qualifier
Sebastien Grosjean FRA v Paul-Henri Mathieu FRA (24)

Gael Monfils FRA (32) v Qualifier
Evgeny Korolev RUS v Robin Soderling SWE
Juan Carlos Ferrero ESP v Brendan Evans USA
Marcos Daniel BRA v David Nalbandian ARG (7)

David Ferrer ESP (4) v Martin Vassallo Arguello ARG
Qualifier v John Isner USA
Qualifier v Roko Karanusic CRO
Kei Nishikori JPN v Juan Monaco ARG (29)

Juan Martin Del Potro ARG (17) v Guillermo Canas ARG
Oscar Hernandez ESP v Thomaz Bellucci BRA
Michael Berrer GER v Jose Acasuso ARG
Marcel Granollers ESP v Gilles Simon FRA (16)

Stanislas Wawrinka SUI (10) v Simone Bolelli ITA
Wayne Odesnik USA v Fabio Fognini ITA
Nicolas Lapentti ECU v Yen-Hsun Lu TPE
Qualifier v Mikhail Youzhny RUS (21)

Feliciano Lopez ESP (27) v Jurgen Melzer AUT
Jiri Vanek CZE v Qualifier
Teimuraz Gabashvili RUS v Michael Llodra FRA
Sergio Roitman ARG v Andy Murray GBR (6)

BOTTOM HALF

Andy Roddick (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=130206#) USA (8) v Fabrice Santoro FRA
Ernests Gulbis LAT v Thomas Johansson SWE
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez ESP v Dominik Hrbaty SVK
Hyung-Taik Lee KOR v Andreas Seppi ITA (31)

Nicolas Kiefer GER (20) v Ivo Minar CZE
Scoville Jenkins USA v Jarkko Nieminen FIN
Bobby Reynolds USA v Qualifier
Ivan Navarro ESP v Fernando Gonzalez CHI (11)

Tommy Robredo ESP (15) v Mischa Zverev GER
Vincent Spadea USA v Marat Safin RUS
Qualifier v Carlos Moya ESP
Santiago Ventura ESP v Jo-Wilfried Tsonga FRA (19)

Marin Cilic CRO (30) v Julien Benneteau FRA
Robby Ginepri USA v Amer Delic USA
Qualifier v Nicolas Mahut FRA
Arnaud Clement FRA v Novak Djokovic SRB (3)

Nikolay Davydenko RUS (5) v Dudi Sela ISR
Austin Krajicek USA v Agustin Calleri ARG
Albert Montanes ESP v Victor Hanescu ROU
Eduardo Schwank ARG v Dmitry Tursunov RUS (26)

Nicolas Almagro ESP (18) v Frank Dancevic CAN
Sam Warburg USA v Janko Tipsarevic SRB
Laurent Recouderc FRA v Qualifier
Tommy Haas GER v Richard Gasquet FRA (12)

Fernando Verdasco ESP (13) v Igor Kunitsyn RUS
Qualifier v Qualifier
Frederico Gil POR v Jeremy Chardy FRA
Marc Gicquel FRA v Igor Andreev RUS (23)

Radek Stepanek CZE (28) v Potito Starace ITA
Jesse Levine USA v Chris Guccione AUS
Qualifier v Qualifier
Maximo Gonzalez ARG v Roger Federer (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=130206#) SUI (2)

shawshank
08-21-2008, 07:02 PM
IMO it is quite good draw. Rafa is not afraid of Berdych and Blake any more!

Foxy
08-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Metis, put me down for the USO GOLD. I am on fire today...

the biscuit
08-21-2008, 07:39 PM
:bigcry:

I opened the page to see that fugly dog. :scared:

RafaTheBest
08-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Put me down for a WIN! Rafa is taking it this year!

star
08-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Draw looks pretty good.

Tess Gray
08-21-2008, 08:20 PM
No Nole in his side of the draw :eek: wow, I'm getting a withdrawl here...

Well I'll go for a Final. I think he's going to lose the final to Nole:)

acionescu
08-21-2008, 09:04 PM
:lol: at everybody including myself. This draw last year would have made all of us :scared:ing and :mad:ing and :fiery:ing.
Now we look at it with different eye :hearts:
Put me for the SF :dance:

cmurray
08-21-2008, 09:23 PM
:lol: at everybody including myself. This draw last year would have made all of us :scared:ing and :mad:ing and :fiery:ing.
Now we look at it with different eye :hearts:
Put me for the SF :dance:

So true, Andreea. I think the draw is pretty evenly distributed this time around. All of the "winningest" hard courters for this year are in different parts of the draw.

Bibberz
08-21-2008, 09:26 PM
:bigcry:

I opened the page to see that fugly dog. :scared:

Fugly?! :( Its teeth are better than Murray's! :shrug: :D

Minn
08-22-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm going with SF this time too. Tempted to go higher...but I'll stick with this. Thanks, Metis.

Minn
08-22-2008, 02:48 AM
True? We'll see in a few days.

http://www.downthelinetennis.com/2008/08/fashion-fix-preview-of-rafas-nike.html

FASHION FIX: Preview of Rafa's Nike limited-edition US Open style

Big thanks to Nike again for sending over a preview of world no. 1 Rafael Nadal's newest, limited-edition duds for the US Open - so exciting!

The sexy Spaniard has moved towards a more buttoned up look for the Slam, favoring sleeves over sleeveless and shorter shorts while still channeling his trademark flair. Rafa was heavily involved in the evolution of his latest look + style and even invited the Nike design team to Majorca for the collaboration.

Rafa will be working the surfing rashguard-inspired Rafa Polo Reinvent ($60) in orange blaze/chlorine blue/concord/white which features seams strategically placed to reduce friction or pull, mesh side panels for breathability and range of motion, and a tonal grid pattern for texture.

The Polo Reinvent is paired with Rafa's Short Reinvent ($55) in white which "incorporates the best of boardshort design to produce a silhouette that moves with him--from baseline to net--without chaffing or bunching up" (hint, hint Rafa.) Elements include a no-sew, surf inspired waistband, bonded velcro fastenings, and a shorter length signed off and approved by the Spaniard himself.

Here's the kicker folks: only 500 of the pieces were made and will only be sold at Niketown - NYC, Nike.com, or the on-site Nike booth at the US Open. Get 'em while they're hot!

I'm loving this new direction - it's fresh, innovative, and most importantly wearable. Clearly the Majorcan Matador wants to be more involved in how the "Rafa brand" is presented and that can only be good news for him.

(image via Nike)

Posted by Rich at 8:36 PM

Labels: fashion, Nike, polo shirt, Rafael Nadal, shorts, style, tennis, US Open

Metis
08-22-2008, 02:55 AM
:speakles: Shocking! I thought this wasn't supposed to happen before 2009!
I can understand the sleeves but ...collar and buttons? :eek:

Rafa is taking his new No1 position very seriously. :rolls:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SK4KN5RpcmI/AAAAAAAAENo/DL5jYeql-Lw/s400/nadal+nike+us+open+08.jpg

star
08-22-2008, 03:01 AM
Oh, well. Orange is a nice color for him. And it's burnt orange too! Hook 'em Horns! :lol: :lol:

Metis
08-22-2008, 03:05 AM
The shirt looks nice actually and very tight too. :angel: :D

star
08-22-2008, 03:08 AM
yes. It's a bit preppy. I don't know what they are talking about when they talk about surfing inspired. :confused:

I hope the shorts allow some opportunity for ass picking. ;)

wildegirl05
08-22-2008, 03:09 AM
The shirt looks nice actually and very tight too. :angel: :D

if the tightness takes away from flashes of belly, i dunno that it's a fair trade off :shrug:

Metis
08-22-2008, 03:15 AM
if the tightness takes away from flashes of belly, i dunno that it's a fair trade off :shrug:

IMO he looks better in tight shirts because they accentuate the ass :shrug:

:rolls:

EDIT: on 2nd thought after seeing the photos veyonce posted I really hate the color. :mad:

Topspin Forehand
08-22-2008, 03:50 AM
I'm going with US Open Champion. Fed/Djokovic got the disadvantage of playing on Super Saturday. I think that will be a very close and long match and Nadal probably gets Murray which he usually does well against.

Lopaka
08-22-2008, 04:33 AM
Since Madrid 2005 I've liked the way Rafa looks in orange and white shorts.

Until I see Rafa in the new outfit I'm going to withhold judgement. If all goes well after 3sets he should look his usual well fitted self. If not I guess it will the exchange of a few wedgie pulls for continious Roddick type cloths sorting.

the biscuit
08-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Fugly?! :( Its teeth are better than Murray's! :shrug: :D

:ras:

The teeth contribute, together with the beard, to his wolfman look. Its to scare the opponents. :shrug:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SK4KN5RpcmI/AAAAAAAAENo/DL5jYeql-Lw/s400/nadal+nike+us+open+08.jpg

Those shorts better be very short and the shirt very tight. :( The color is really nice though.

Pepi.
08-22-2008, 07:45 AM
I love it :inlove:

GuiroNl
08-22-2008, 11:46 AM
:speakles: Shocking! I thought this wasn't supposed to happen before 2009!
I can understand the sleeves but ...collar and buttons? :eek:

Rafa is taking his new No1 position very seriously. :rolls:

The Federer outfit is exactly the same :haha:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SKzlmEtx_CI/AAAAAAAAEMg/VkQ4l4tqt8k/s400/nike+us+open+08+federer+look+2.jpg

GuiroNl
08-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Here's a video of both Federer and Nadal, wearing the outfits

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/84982/nadal--federer-prepare-for-tennis-face-off-at-u-s--open/Default.aspx

tennizen
08-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Nadalita, where are you? Our dream has come true. Rafa wears sleeved shirts:woohoo: He looks so much more dignified:hug:

Castafiore
08-22-2008, 02:13 PM
:awww: I like the sleeveless shirts. What's "dignified" have to do with it? Tennis clothing is too conservative for my taste.

Although that shirt is :yeah: Love the bright orange and the shirt seems to have a good cut.

rafa_maniac
08-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Wait, what happened to Xristos' post about Rafa wearing his usual sleeveless for this US Open and going to sleeves for 09? Anyway, I hate the idea and can't believe Nike are trading away Rafa's terrific unique look, but if he has to go down another route, that is one sexy outfit! LOVE the orange.

acionescu
08-22-2008, 04:32 PM
I hate it :mad: And it's gonna ruin whatever effect this is supposed to have with the shorter shorts( that I'm not really complaining against :angel: ) and the taped knees :awww:

l_mac
08-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Oh, I do not like the colour of that shirt :mad:

Xristos fed us falsehoods! Idiot.

star
08-22-2008, 04:54 PM
I guess I will trade his cute outfits for the number one ranking. :sad: But reluctantly. :mad:

Xoman
08-22-2008, 05:35 PM
I can't believe that Nadal is going to play with sleeves. I can't
Couldn't it be that those clothes are for out of court? I saddens me that Nike would impose the dressing style upon Nadal. And I don't see any reason to change it.

The Draw looks good ... unlike that dog I have seen in someone's signature.

With this Draw Nadal will most likely reach the final. I haven't decided (well, actually my crystal ball) hasn't decided yet what the outcome of the final is going to be, so ... I am holding off my prediction for MIT at the moment.

l_mac
08-22-2008, 05:45 PM
I wish everyone would stop dissing the dog.

I think it says a lot about society that no-one complains about Metis, or star's cutie avatars, yet everyone must pass a mean comment about my sig.

the biscuit
08-22-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm not that shallow that I can't look at something ugly but there's a line. The dog burns my eyes more than Stepanek does.

The cat in your avie pawns though. With the risk of sounding like a gray old lady with 16 cats... It's a sphynx cat :D Because they have no hair they tend to cuddle up to people and other animals more to warm themselves. Prob one of the most kind-hearted cat breeds around. :p

Lopaka
08-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Hopefully Rafa in the new preppy outfit will look about the same as he did in these practice duds.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/bobby117/album1/Rafainorange.jpg

:scratch:I guess avatars and signatures reflect how a person looks or hopes to look. Like pets look like their owners, avis and sigs look like their posters. If I was going to change my Rafa avis to an animal it would be something like this guy:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/bobby117/album1/Martini-Avatar.jpg My kind of dog!

star
08-22-2008, 07:10 PM

I think it says a lot about society that no-one complains about Metis, or star's cutie avatars, yet everyone must pass a mean comment about my sig.

I don't mind your sig. I can't even see it. :) :)

star
08-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Hopefully Rafa in the new preppy outfit will look about the same as he did in these practice duds.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/bobby117/album1/Rafainorange.jpg

:scratch:I guess avatars and signatures reflect how a person looks or hopes to look. Like pets look like their owners, avis and sigs look like their posters. If I was going to change my Rafa avis to an animal it would be something like this guy:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/bobby117/album1/Martini-Avatar.jpg My kind of dog!

There's something to be said for Rafa's thighs being exposed. Maybe even shorter shorts are the answer. ;)

Love the Martini Shepherd. :hearts:

Lopaka
08-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Ugly is one thing grotesque is something else.

Rafa thighs seem to be as well turned as his calfs. Perhaps after another look at Rafa, I-Mac will consider changing the avatar and signature to something more likely to honor the beauty of this thread.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/bobby117/album1/RafaMaymo-IW200802A.jpg

l_mac
08-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Ugly is one thing grotesque is something else.

Rafa thighs seem to be as well turned as his calfs. Perhaps after another look at Rafa, I-Mac will consider changing the avatar and signature to something more likely to honor the beauty of this thread.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/bobby117/album1/IW-2008-95.jpg

:drool:

This is only temporary. Usually I have beautiful rafa avatars and sigs, ask anyone :awww:

star
08-22-2008, 10:48 PM

because our avatars are tasteful and not HUGE

:angel: :angel:

Lopaka
08-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I-mac, I'm sure you have usually beautiful avatars and signatures. Is the intent of puppy and kitty to remind us how long in the tooth Roger is getting? If that is purpose they have done the job for me.

I'm sure I would enjoy the anticipation of Rafa's first round if you would return puppy and kitty to your ugly collection and post some of the beauty you say is your trade-mark.

*Sorry I had to take down the picture as originally posted and remove a reference to another site. Hmm, I also noticed I picked up a different shot from my Photobucket file. Now you have two view of a good looking pair of legs.

I-mac, I'm also sorry for not appreciating your attempt to show the world's frailties, my aesthetics is probably to influenced by Greek sculpture. I enjoy Rafa but not puppy and kitty.

Sic transit gloria mundi

rafa_maniac
08-23-2008, 05:02 AM
I assume Rafa is wearing a bandana still? I don't know how that will look with the new outfit.

The_Nadal_effect
08-23-2008, 06:04 AM
If Nadal is wearing this T-shirt, he should lose in the first round. :eek:

At least go without the collar, Rafa!

BTW, Linda...Ridiculous Signature. Get the terrier off this house!

the biscuit
08-23-2008, 06:52 AM
I assume Rafa is wearing a bandana still? I don't know how that will look with the new outfit.

He'll pull a 2003 Federer and wear a ponytail.

l_mac
08-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Rafa got Phau in the 1st round.

I am confident of a win.

:scared: :unsure:

Lopaka
08-23-2008, 06:08 PM
He might be planning for an $800.00 hair cut so the bandana is hardly noticeable like Roger. Or maybe Rafa will have a retro hair cut and use a ball cop.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/bobby117/album1/Rafaat15.jpgan

shawshank
08-23-2008, 06:31 PM
The dream continues. Put me for win.

TMJordan
08-23-2008, 11:31 PM
No doubt in my mind Rafito will win the USO!

Put me down for the win!

Vamosssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss Rafaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigclap:

l_mac
08-23-2008, 11:36 PM
:rolleyes:

Metis
08-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Update! Rafa is playing his 1st round match on Monday. Make sure to post/change your predictions by that time. :D

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th - Metis, l_mac
QF - Aenea, wildegirl05, yana
F - M.C., Tess Gray, the biscuit
W - Bachelor Dandy, cmurray, Foxy, GuiroNl, Lopaka, Luvyoyoma1954, mashamaniac, RafaTheBest, Shawshank, TMJordan, Xoman

Metis
08-24-2008, 12:02 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/bobby117/album1/RafaMaymo-IW200802A.jpg

Who's the stud in the background? :hearts:

l_mac
08-24-2008, 12:03 AM
4th round.

Though I have my fears about R3.

l_mac
08-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Who's the stud in the background? :hearts:

That's your boyfriend.

Metis
08-24-2008, 12:14 AM
4th round.

Though I have my fears about R3.

We'll lose together this time :hug:

That's your boyfriend.

:banana: :drool: I could only dream! :sad:

cmurray
08-24-2008, 01:10 AM
does anyone else's dancing banana NOT dance sometimes? :awww:

wildegirl05
08-24-2008, 01:16 AM

:spit:

i needed that laugh. thanks cheryl :hug: :hug:

Minn
08-24-2008, 01:18 AM

Your banana sometimes doesn't dance? :hug: :awww: I'll watch, but so far I think my banana always dances. (There's a sentence I never thought I'd type! :lol:)

star
08-24-2008, 01:21 AM

Yes, there are times they don't dance. I thought I had it figured out at one time, but now I can't remember what I had figured out.

Very lame. I know. :sad:

cmurray
08-24-2008, 01:25 AM

i needed that laugh. thanks cheryl :hug: :hug:

Your banana sometimes doesn't dance? :hug: :awww: I'll watch, but so far I think my banana always dances. (There's a sentence I never thought I'd type! :lol:)

I count on that little guy cheering me up, but Metis' banana is frozen in mid-stroke. It's very disheartening.

Metis
08-24-2008, 01:26 AM

sometimes bananas can get tired too, no? :shrug:

Metis
08-24-2008, 01:28 AM
I count on that little guy cheering me up, but Metis' banana is frozen in mid-stroke. It's very disheartening.

:speakles: it's dancing for me right now :shrug:

jaybee
08-24-2008, 01:28 AM
Just noticed metis, cmurray, and bachelor dandy's avatars. Who has the other A?

star
08-24-2008, 01:33 AM

Nobody so far. :sad:

cmurray
08-24-2008, 01:36 AM

:sobbing: We don't have another A yet. We're still looking. :awww:

cmurray
08-24-2008, 01:37 AM
:speakles: it's dancing for me right now :shrug:

Metis, you don't have to rub it in. :(

Bibberz
08-24-2008, 03:52 AM
Metis! :worship::D We'll find another "A" on Sunday. We're too close not to start recruiting again. :rocker2:

EDIT: I always, always, ALWAYS prefer stationary/frozen bananas to dancing ones. :)

yana
08-24-2008, 12:18 PM
I say Rafa will make it to the QF :rocker2:

I can be an "A"...

cmurray
08-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Metis! :worship::D We'll find another "A" on Sunday. We're too close not to start recruiting again. :rocker2:

EDIT: I always, always, ALWAYS prefer stationary/frozen bananas to dancing ones. :)

You're just trying to cheer me up. So :hug:

But the good news is that Metis' banana is dancing for me again. :woohoo: Metis, I think your banana is moody. :(

Metis
08-24-2008, 07:10 PM
OOP for Monday, 25 August 2008

ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM 11.00 AM

1. Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Elena Dementieva (RUS)[5] v. Akgul Amanmuradova (UZB)

2. Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Lindsay Davenport (USA)[23] v. Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN)

3. Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Rafael Nadal (ESP)[1] v. Bjorn Phau (GER)

l_mac
08-24-2008, 08:27 PM
3. Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Rafael Nadal (ESP)[1] v. Bjorn Phau (GER)

[1] - love it! :inlove:

Xoman
08-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Metis, put me down for the Win. Nadal is going to win the US Open!! :)

l_mac
08-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Adam said he looked really bad in practise today, and will probably lose to Phau :eek:

Metis
08-25-2008, 12:37 AM
Will you be changing your prediction to 1st round then Linda? :p

l_mac
08-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Will you be changing your prediction to 1st round then Linda? :p

I will sleep on it.

Aenea
08-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Hi all :wavey:

US Open is Rafa's first tournament as the world #1 and I hope he'll do well here. But maybe Federer was right when he said that all the pressure was on Rafa now and that he'll be expected to win every tournament he enters. I know Rafa can handle the pressure very well but isn't US Open too much even for him :unsure:
TBH I don't know how deep will Rafa go here. I predict a tough 1st rnd match though :scared:

Good luck, Rafa baby :inlove: Do your best :bigclap:

MariaV
08-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Aenea! :wavey:
Rafa doesn't crumble under pressure, he's a true Spartan. ;) :D

Xristos
08-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Rafa will win something like 62 62 64.

M.C.
08-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Final please.

Aenea
08-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Maria :wavey:

I know Rafa is a Spartan and he can cope with pressure besides I read his interview

"Rafael Nadal said he felt no added pressure entering Monday's US Open as world number one after finally overtaking Roger Federer at the top of the rankings.

"The pressure is the same," the Spaniard said at Flushing Meadows.

"When you want to win the goal is still the same and the pressure the same.

"I'm very happy to be number one. It's a big satisfaction after a long time being number two. But at the same time nothing changes."

Still I'm :scared:

If Rafa is to lose it will be in the QF. If he gets through he'll win the USOpen.
Metis, put me down for QF, pls. I might well get another "Fail" but it's OK with me as long as Rafa wins :)

l_mac
08-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Is Rafa Spartan?

I thought he was Spanish :confused:

Please don't lose to Phau, Rafa :sobbing:

tangerine_dream
08-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Am I too late to get my pick in?? :scared: I completely forgot about the MIT. If it's not too late I say semis. :wavey:

Metis
08-25-2008, 07:57 PM
sorry Tangy :p

Metis
08-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Final update:

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th - Metis, l_mac
W - Bachelor Dandy, cmurray, Foxy, GuiroNl, Lopaka, Luvyoyoma1954, mashamaniac, RafaTheBest, Shawshank, TMJordan, Xoman

l_mac
08-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Metis you are HARSH!

tangerine_dream
08-25-2008, 08:27 PM
sorry Tangy :p
:mad: Prepare to die. :armed: :bolt:

Metis
08-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Metis you are HARSH!

It's the rules; I cannot do anything about that. :shrug: There is proof tangy posted too late.

:secret: She should have PMed me instead.

:mad: Prepare to die. :armed: :bolt:

:scared: I'm already praying for death. :scared: :awww:

tangerine_dream
08-25-2008, 09:00 PM
It's the rules; I cannot do anything about that. :shrug: There is proof tangy posted too late.

:secret: She should have PMed me instead.
I just hope for your sake that you will be able to live with your stingy decision. http://i38.tinypic.com/2uha241.png

Metis
08-25-2008, 09:03 PM
I just hope for your sake that you will be able to live with your stingy decision. http://i38.tinypic.com/2uha241.png

or that Rafa doesn't lose in the SFs :dance:

l_mac
08-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Metis, we are the most pessimistic. And by that, I mean realistic.

tangy must think Noleo will win.

tangerine_dream
08-25-2008, 09:13 PM
tangy must think Noleo will win.
I actually have my vcash on Murray to win. I have a bad feeling about UglyAndy. :scared: I don't think Novak will defend his finalist points, he's too tired from the Olympics. My Andy duck is a lost cause. :sobbing:

I can't get a read on Rafa. He said he was tired at Olympics and then won gold. He's probably exhausted now so if he gets to the final I'll be very surprised.

Watch Del Potro win.

Metis
08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Metis, we are the most pessimistic. And by that, I mean realistic.

We'll face victory or defeat together :hug:

l_mac
08-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I actually have my vcash on Murray to win. I have a bad feeling about UglyAndy. :scared: I don't think Novak will defend his finalist points, he's too tired from the Olympics. My Andy duck is a lost cause. :sobbing:
:hug: I don't think Murray will do it.

I can't get a read on Rafa. He said he was tired at Olympics and then won gold. He's probably exhausted now so if he gets to the final I'll be very surprised.

Judging by this match, I think Metis and I are the only ones with a hope of winning the MIT.

l_mac
08-25-2008, 11:59 PM
In a breathtaking display of flawless power tennis, and sublime shotmaking, Rafa overcame the spirited Bjorn Phau in 3 magnificent sets.

7-6 6-3 7-6.

Laba
08-26-2008, 01:12 AM
His second round encounter should be an easier affair. :)

Getta
08-26-2008, 04:05 AM
Vamos Rafa! :rocker2:

MariaV
08-26-2008, 06:49 AM
It was a fun and entertaining match to watch actually, and let's hope the next round will be easier indeed, should be. ;) Rafa getting into groove again. :D
Rafa the warrior, Rafa the Spartan! :worship: :bowdown: Do I sound like R=FK now?
And here the presser for the lazy ones. :D

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. I guess there was a little bit of a scare out there today in round 1. I guess all the talk about facing Federer, you have to worry about the Mardy Fishes and the Robby Ginepris of the world before you worry about a championship?

RAFAEL NADAL: I never talk about playing against Federer, no. You talk a lot. I know how tough it is every round. I try to go round to round. I'm not thinking far away than second round right now.

Q. Do you think he played much better than his normal level today against you?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I help a little bit him, to play to this level. Sure, he's good player. He played well today. But I didn't play with normal intensity. I play a little bit less intensity than last few months for sure. Important thing, final, is win. I know I am playing well, because I did very well the last few months.

Probably I'm a little bit tired more than I usually. And the thing is try to be good, no? Mentally and physically, because I think I am playing good tennis, no?

Q. How difficult is it to make the change from Beijing and going through that tournament, doing all this flying, and starting with a few days' rest? Is that difficult?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't ‑‑ well, I don't think so, no? It's important, jet lag. But for the rest is fine. The problem is play Toronto, Cincinnati, Beijing, come back here.

So in two weeks, two times, 12 hours' jet lag. Before, after Wimbledon I only have 6, 7 days for recover. Before Wimbledon I play Queen's, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Hamburg, Roland Garros, and Wimbledon, too. The system is very tough, no?

But the same time, I have to be very happy. I must be very happy how I did this year, anyway, if I lose, for example, tomorrow, hopefully not. But anyway, I am happy about how I played this year. And just try to continue playing like this in this tournament.

Q. Do you think you're more worn out physically, emotionally, or mentally?

RAFAEL NADAL: Tired?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. Yeah, I think it is a little bit of everything, no? Probably the toughest thing is mentally, no? Because I for the last month or last ‑‑ yeah, last weeks, I was very concentrate all the days with how, have break, you know, maybe sometimes the more difficult part is be all the day focus on one thing, no?

So I did that for a lot of months, so right now I think I don't want to say another time I'm tired. I am a little bit tired, yes, but it is US Open so I have to try my best here, and I'm going to try my best for sure.

Q. Elena Dementieva said earlier today that she was having a bit of hard time shifting focus from gold medal victory in Beijing and now to come here. She said it's just been a difficult shift of focus.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, for me, not. For me that's sure not the problem. I win, from here win a lot of things from here. The problem was while I was very exciting one week ago I win the gold medal but at the same time play here, I have to play here in one week. For me, that's not the problem, I win Roland Garros and in one week I have to be 100% ready for Wimbledon. I think I'm ready for these things. The thing is be ready for rest of things, because I played a lot. First round always is difficult, and hopefully next round I play much better, no? That's what I think.

Q. Are you concerned a little bit about how long it took to play this match as far as continuing on, especially because, as you say, there is a little bit of being tired involved because of the travel?

RAFAEL NADAL: I won in three sets. The result is good for me, the result is always good. Win in three sets is always good result. I had some difficult moments, so that's going to help me for a little bit, be prepared for the pressure moments. So I play well when I have the pressure moments, only if I fall with the break, no? I play bad. But for the rest, I think I was serving fine, what is important thing.

Q. Why do you think you haven't had great success here? Is it the court? Is it the atmosphere? Why haven't you had a good...

RAFAEL NADAL: Probably tough part of the season. It's the last ‑‑ I played a lot, straight, and probably when I arrive here, always is tougher part of the year, no? Because after here, you have normally some weeks off after prepare the last part of the season, the indoors. But when you arrive here, you play Wimbledon, we don't have lot of time here for prepare hardcourt season, and we play Toronto, Cincinnati, and here.

But I don't know. You know, the thing, I didn't play very well here in the last years, no? In 2006, I was playing fine, no? I had tough match against Youzhny. He played very well, but I had big chances beat him and be in semifinals. Right now hopefully just play better.

Q. Are you feeling more comfortable on the hardcourts?

RAFAEL NADAL: I did very well this year, yeah. :D

Q. For the last three years you've been chasing No. 1, and that's always been a big motivation in front of you to do well in tournaments. This is your first Grand Slam as the No. 1. Does that change the way you feel playing, the way that you're motivated towards your setting goals?

RAFAEL NADAL: Doesn't matter for me, no. Not the truth, believe me. I have the same goal ‑ play now same as I was No. 2. When I was No. 2 I was very happy. I'm very motivate to play tournament, not for play tournament, for be No. 1. You understand me now?

I have the same goal. Right now I try to play very good tournament for win the US Open, no? When I was No. 2, the goal was the same, was win the US Open, but the goal wasn't win the US Open for be No. 1. The goal is win US Open, no?

Q. Do you feel the balls are playing the same this year as they were last year? I understand they're playing a little bit heavier.

RAFAEL NADAL: You know, I think yes, no? The feeling always change for us, because it depends. For example, I put example. When you are coming, when you play Cincinnati and when you coming from Montreal, Cincinnati seems slow. And when you are playing Cincinnati and comes from Toronto, Cincinnati is very fast. So it depends on the last, no? The Olympics was the same ball, but seems this here a little bit heavy, no? I think it's the same like last year.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2008-08-25/200808251219706094000.html

nashty
08-26-2008, 07:06 AM
I forgot to send my prediction. :bigcry:

Oh well, vamos rafa!!! :rocker2:

Rafalover15
08-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Vamos Rafa:rocker:

Pepi.
08-26-2008, 10:18 AM
well done :banana:

rafa_maniac
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
I regret picking the SF, frankly I'll be happy and surprised if Rafa makes the QtF.

the biscuit
08-27-2008, 06:59 AM
I picked the final and I don't see it. Not after what I saw Monday and not with the guy's reports in the GM. I wonder why his confidence is so low considering he has won pretty much everything there is to win in the last couple of months. The bad memories he has of the US Open? :shrug:

I also have read quite a few times and heard on the news they don't really expect Rafa to win this bc he has already put too much energy in this year. Frankly I think that's right.

Foxy
08-27-2008, 08:10 AM
I picked the final and I don't see it. Not after what I saw Monday and not with the guy's reports in the GM. I wonder why his confidence is so low considering he has won pretty much everything there is to win in the last couple of months. The bad memories he has of the US Open? :shrug:

I also have read quite a few times and heard on the news they don't really expect Rafa to win this bc he has already put too much energy in this year. Frankly I think that's right.

Don't read too much from the last match. I thought he was tired after the first match of the Olympics too. Never imagined he could win it. Masters series and Olympics schedules are tougher than GS. Best of 3 playing every day against best of 5 but with a day of rest. Moreover the tough matches start from the first round at Masters series while in GS you can have 1-2 matches playing against players ranked 100+ and even 200+.

Aenea
08-27-2008, 07:27 PM
OOP Aug, 28th

Arthur Ashe 11.00 AM
1. Women's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Roberta Vinci (ITA) v. Dinara Safina (RUS)[6]
Not Before 12:30 PM
2. Women's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Rossana De Los Rios (PAR) v. Venus Williams (USA)[7]
3. Men's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
James Blake (USA)[9] v. Steve Darcis (BEL)
Arthur Ashe 7.00 PM
1. Women's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Serena Williams (USA)[4] v. Elena Vesnina (RUS)
2. Men's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Rafael Nadal (ESP)[1] v. Ryler De Heart (USA)

I'll have to get up at 4am to watch his match.

Vamos, Rafa :yippee: Make it easier this time, no 3 hours drama pls.

Tess Gray
08-28-2008, 10:24 AM
damnit :( I can't see his match. Or I should get up at 4. :o

At least I can see Dinara :sad:

l_mac
08-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Rafa :bigcry:

Please don't lose to De Heart :scared:

rafa_maniac
08-28-2008, 05:00 PM
No, he'll wait till the quarters to play like a clown so he can improve his already glowing h2h record against whichever he faces out of Blake or Nalby :o

Tess Gray
08-28-2008, 06:19 PM
No, he'll wait till the quarters to play like a clown so he can improve his already glowing h2h record against whichever he faces out of Blake or Nalby :o

Don't be mean :sobbing:

tangerine_dream
08-29-2008, 01:36 AM
Rafa won the first set in ten minutes? :spit:

Metis
08-29-2008, 02:51 AM
Nadal - de Heart 6-1 6-2 6-4 :yeah:

It was 19 minutes tangy :p

Troicki is next! Bring it on Jess :armed:

Getta
08-29-2008, 03:25 AM

Tess Gray
08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
First two sets were easy :o But that last set was more difficult and pretty entertaining. Eventhough he was down 3-0 in that 3rd set, I never really had the feeling he was going to lose that one, and he didn't so I guess that's a good sign:p

He'll have to play better against Viktor though:o

Aenea
08-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah the 3rd set was entertaining. DeHeart played well in that set and he was doing some show for the public. I understand him maybe this was his only chance to play on AA in a night session. And his GF was always smiling and applauding every shot her fiancé managed to get in. Not a bad match overall.

Well done, Rafa. You'r one step closer to the trophy :D

cc2monac
08-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Troicki will be tough if he is serving well...but rafa is getting better and better at winning TB...best of luck rafito!

Aenea
08-29-2008, 10:16 AM
I agree, Troicki will be tough :sad: I remember their first encounter in the 1st rnd of AO. It took Rafa two and a half hrs to beat him and the first 2 sets were close.
That first week of US Open is the one I fear most for Rafa. If he makes it to second week ie the QF I'll feel relieved.

cc2monac
08-29-2008, 10:17 AM
I agree...and though I like nalby I hope he will loose soon...

Aenea
08-29-2008, 07:31 PM
OOP Aug, 30th

ASHE STADIUM 11.00 AM
1. Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Alona Bondarenko (UKR)[27] v. Venus Williams (USA)[7]
2. Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Rafael Nadal (ESP)[1] v. Viktor Troicki (SRB)
3. Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Serena Williams (USA)[4] v. Ai Sugiyama (JPN)[30]

Wish you good luck, Rafa. No nonsense pls. :bowdown:

The_Nadal_effect
08-30-2008, 05:01 AM
I agree, Troicki will be tough :sad: I remember their first encounter in the 1st rnd of AO. It took Rafa two and a half hrs to beat him and the first 2 sets were close.
That first week of US Open is the one I fear most for Rafa. If he makes it to second week ie the QF I'll feel relieved.

He'll make it to the semis.

the biscuit
08-30-2008, 06:47 AM
^Well, I love Andy but Rafa is such a bad match-up for him. If Rafa reaches the semis, and Andy does too, I see him winning. I would've actually preferred Andy to be in the bottom half. He has beaten both Federer and Djokovic multiple times. I believe his H2H against Fed is 2-1 and with Djokovic 2-4, but his 2 wins were just now in Toronto and Cinci. The H2H against Rafa is 0-5. :o

Foxy
08-30-2008, 10:37 AM
It all depends on Rafa's current form. If it is like Wimby-Toronto-Olympics(final stages) Troicki will be slaughtered. As one of our MTF fellows would say - Troicki should pray for death. But if it is some poor form a la his first matches on all latest tournaments it would be tough as hell.

Aenea
08-30-2008, 11:10 AM
He'll make it to the semis.

...and lose there. Is that what you are saying?

Tnn74
08-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Good Luck Rafa! :hug:
I have not had the time to sign on as often lately,
but i am always cheering you on! :rocker:

Bummer, I lost my top spot in MIT :awww:
:wavey: Hi everyone! I hope you all are doing well :hug:

Aenea
08-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Rafa :bigclap:

This was a good win :) Keep it up, Rafa

Hi, Tnn :)

Pepi.
08-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Rafa :banana:

:D

Getta
08-30-2008, 11:05 PM

l_mac
08-31-2008, 01:21 AM
Querrey served well today :scared:

Aenea
08-31-2008, 08:16 AM
Rafa defended his pts. :worship:

I thought disposing of Karlovic would be enough to see Rafa make it comfortably to the QF but now I'm scared Querrey or Karlovic is not making any difference. :scared: He seems to be a big hitter, too. My hope is his serve won't be that solid next match and if he loses 1st set he'll start fading. I don't know how much mentally prepared is Querrey for a 5 setter vs. Nadal.

Foxy, what's your take for this match? I looked at the H2H and their only encounter was back in 2006 in Cincy where Rafa prevailed in 3 sets. It was too long ago to make some prediction for the upcoming match but still.

cc2monac
08-31-2008, 08:18 AM
Rafa did so great vs troicky! I was expecting a tough match and it was "quite easy"
let's hope he'll keep it that up! you can do it rafa!

Xristos
08-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Rafa in 4 sets.

Tess Gray
08-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Rafa great job with Viktor :D
I think he'll win in four sets. Sam is good but I don't think he's as good as Karlovic (eventhough he beat him) :o

08-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Rafa is looking good so far :D I hope he can keep it going ;) Vamos :dance:

08-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Rafa defended his pts. :worship:

I thought disposing of Karlovic would be enough to see Rafa make it comfortably to the QF but now I'm scared Querrey or Karlovic is not making any difference. :scared: He seems to be a big hitter, too. My hope is his serve won't be that solid next match and if he loses 1st set he'll start fading. I don't know how much mentally prepared is Querrey for a 5 setter vs. Nadal.

Foxy, what's your take for this match? I looked at the H2H and their only encounter was back in 2006 in Cincy where Rafa prevailed in 3 sets. It was too long ago to make some prediction for the upcoming match but still.
I don't know if Sam has ever gone 5 sets against anyone
:confused: But I don't think he wants a 5 setter against Rafa ;)

nadal800
08-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Go Rafa and beat Sam tomorrow

Xristos
08-31-2008, 04:37 PM
I have a feeling it will be a night match.

Tess Gray
08-31-2008, 08:05 PM

yep, no doubt about it. Damn it :( two night matches in two nights for me to watch.

star
08-31-2008, 09:01 PM
I don't know if Sam has ever gone 5 sets against anyone
:confused: But I don't think he wants a 5 setter against Rafa ;)

He went five sets first round at RG last year. I think that's the only time.

l_mac
08-31-2008, 09:10 PM

No. Day.

It's a holiday in America tomorrow. The big names are usually on during the day.

Muzz Wawa is the night match (according to Sky) and Rafa is 2nd on Ashe in the day session.

nadal800
08-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Rafa should dominate because Sam's groundies are pretty weak Rafa in 3 to 4 sets

l_mac
08-31-2008, 10:08 PM
:inlove: :inlove:

EXriIRPmQqU

Aenea
08-31-2008, 10:51 PM
OOP Sep, 1st

Arthur Ashe 11.00 AM
1. Men's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Mardy Fish (USA) v. Gael Monfils (FRA)[32]
Not Before 1:00 PM
2. Men's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Rafael Nadal (ESP)[1] v. Sam Querrey (USA)
Not Before 3:30 PM
3. Women's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Agnieszka Radwanska (POL)[9] v. Venus Williams (USA)[7]
Arthur Ashe 7.00 PM
1. Women's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Serena Williams (USA)[4] v. Severine Bremond (FRA)
2. Men's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI)[10] v. Andy Murray (GBR)[6]

Rafa in a day match tomorrow (well an early night for us) :)

Good luck, Rafa :inlove: Don't give Querrey a single set :D

l_mac
08-31-2008, 10:58 PM
Vamos Rafa :rocker2:

Poor Rafi, having to play Americans :sad: He will get no love.

star
08-31-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm glad it's in the daytime. :)

star
08-31-2008, 11:02 PM
Vamos Rafa :rocker2:

Poor Rafi, having to play Americans :sad: He will get no love.

Oh, I think he will. I think people in the U.S. love Rafa. Remember Phelps? There's a guy who works with me, but in another office whose son plays tennis in high school, and his son :inlove: Rafa.

l_mac
08-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Oh, I think he will. I think people in the U.S. love Rafa. Remember Phelps? There's a guy who works with me, but in another office whose son plays tennis in high school, and his son :inlove: Rafa.

Rafa has invited Phelps to the Open. Hopefully he go tomorrow.

star
08-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Rafa has invited Phelps to the Open. Hopefully he go tomorrow.

Well, if he can't have Tiger Woods or Anna Wintour, at least he can have a third tier sport star. :lol:

Tess Gray
09-01-2008, 07:43 AM
YAY a day match :D

Michael is waaaay cooler than Wintour (IMO anyway:o)

MariaV
09-01-2008, 09:39 AM

Of course he is, and it's not only your opinion. :D :cool:

Do you still want me to post transcripts here? I know I'm late and he didn't say anything spectacular. Reading "The Firm" is good though. :yeah: And I loved the movie. Yes, with Tom Cruise.

Rafael Nadal

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK

R. NADAL/V. Troicki
6-4, 6-3, 6-0

Q. Just real quick, what's the last book you read and the kind of car you drive?
RAFAEL NADAL: (Through translation.)
The Firm. It's one film. And the car, I have sponsor with Kia, so I drive very good Kia.

Q. What do you know about Sam Querrey? You played him two years ago in Cincinnati.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, a lot of things change in these two years, no? He wasn't play a lot in that moment, so right now he's a very good player with big potential and big serves having very about results. Going to be a very tough match, no?
I know I have to play very well if I want to win.

Q. Can you talk about the passing shot that got you to the break in the second set? Do you really feel the momentum shifted at that point to your side?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. The first or the second? In the 3-2 or 4-3?

Q. The second set the passing shot.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, but there was two. One with backhand and one forehand. The first one I think was most important because he give me the break back, so it was very important for my confidence.
Because in that moment he was serving well and was difficult, no? But after this, I started playing better, and he had some mistakes and finally I won, no?

Q. Are you more comfortable here on this court now than you have been before?
RAFAEL NADAL: Never know, no? Happy about how I play today. I play a consistent match, so happy for the victory and especially happy for be in third round another year, no?

Q. What did change with you receiving his serve? I mean, you broke him. He was serving well initially. I think you broke him six of his last eight?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you know, the tennis is like this. The match is long, and you start, you are fresh, but when the match is coming you start to be a little bit more tired, no?
But anyway, he's a very good player and he has a very good serve. Well, if he can serve all the time like the beginning he's very dangerous, no?

Q. Switching from night matches to day matches back and forth, is that any problem? Is there a change in your game or change in the background, looking at the opponent?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. Doesn't matter, no? :D
Well, for me is a little bit -- I prefer a little bit more play during the day for the -- because if you win, later you have one afternoon and one day off, and when you play during the night you can finish very late.
But doesn't matter, no? :D Good.

Q. What are you going to do in New York on a Saturday night? Going to catch the Blake/Fish match, enjoy yourself in Manhattan?
RAFAEL NADAL: Nothing special. I'm playing the tournament, so I just going to go for dinner and later come back to the room. I watch some movie or watch a little bit to of tennis.

Q. Any predictions for the Blake/Fish match tonight?
RAFAEL NADAL: No predictions. It's tennis. It is very difficult to say something.

Q. How far are you from your best level, especially in terms of intensity?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you know, I am start playing better. No, today I play better than the last days. Anyway, he has -- he had a lot of mistakes last night. I started playing well and today I serve well, no? I served very well.
The true, I was practicing much better yesterday and before yesterday than the beginning days, no? So that's give my more confidence.
You know, I am in fourth round right now, and I hope continuing improve my tennis for the fourth round, no? I think I am ready for try to play a good match on fourth round. I know I have to play a good match if I want to win.

Q. You've had the fans really cheering you this year on your very excellent year. What's it going to be like to be playing against an underdog who's a hometown favorite? Does that actually help you when they're not cheering for you, or do you even notice?
RAFAEL NADAL: The crowd is always very nice with me when I play against one American. But doesn't matter, no?
I think the crowd was always very respectus of me, and going to be the same for the next match. I understand perfectly the crowd support Sam. He's from United States, and for that reason the crowd going to be with him, no? But I think going to be with him, not against me.

End of FastScripts

And yeah, good he got the day match, I'll be able to watch. :D

Tnn74
09-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Rafa :bigclap:

This was a good win :) Keep it up, Rafa

Hi, Tnn :)

Hi Aenea :hug:

Well good luck against Sam Rafa! :hug:
It's time to make a good dent in Flushing Meadows! :rocker2:

Tnn74
09-01-2008, 11:06 AM

Michael is no doubt wayyyy cooler :angel:

Bibberz
09-01-2008, 11:16 AM
My local newspaper has been putting one 1.5'' x 2'' picture at the top of the Sports page every single day during the USO. Yesterday was Sam Querrey, but Rafa made it once. Fed's made it once. Ana made it twice (same picture :lol:). The coverage is amazing. Truly an embarrassment of riches. :worship: You're all jealous. :cool:

Tnn74
09-01-2008, 11:54 AM
My local newspaper has been putting one 1.5'' x 2'' picture at the top of the Sports page every single day during the USO. Yesterday was Sam Querrey, but Rafa made it once. Fed's made it once. Ana made it twice (same picture :lol:). The coverage is amazing. Truly an embarrassment of riches. :worship: You're all jealous. :cool:

I'm definitely jealous BD :hug:
I'm surprised Sam made it instead of Andy/James...? :shrug:

Bibberz
09-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm definitely jealous BD :hug:
I'm surprised Sam made it instead of Andy/James...? :shrug:

Blake lost the same day Sam won, so that's not as great a story. Andy's been playing on different days than Sam. Besides, Sam is a native Californian. :rocker2:

Tnn74
09-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Blake lost the same day Sam won, so that's not as great a story. Andy's been playing on different days than Sam. Besides, Sam is a native Californian. :rocker2:

True, but they always make a big fuss over Andy/James...
anyhow, I hope Rafa doesn't get too frustrated with Sam's
big serves... reminds me of the match vs. Karlovic in Queens :awww:

the biscuit
09-01-2008, 12:45 PM
True, but they always make a big fuss over Andy/James...
anyhow, I hope Rafa doesn't get too frustrated with Sam's
big serves... reminds me of the match vs. Karlovic in Queens :awww:

I think I was more frustrated than Rafa there. Whenever I'm able to see him play, I do so but I truly had to keep myself from turning off the TV then. One of the most boring matches I had ever seen. :o I believed Rafa yelled 'puta' at the end, no?

Either way, if he can handle Karlovic's serve he must be able to do the same with Querrey's.

Tnn74
09-01-2008, 12:49 PM
I think I was more frustrated than Rafa there. Whenever I'm able to see him play, I do so but I truly had to keep myself from turning off the TV then. One of the most boring matches I had ever seen. :o I believed Rafa yelled 'puta' at the end, no?

Either way, if he can handle Karlovic's serve he must be able to do the same with Querrey's.

:lol: ahh yes, the faymoose "puta"...
It was pretty frustrating, indeed...
and then he played Roddick after that :lol:

Aenea
09-01-2008, 12:54 PM

It's on hard :sad:

Hi, all :wavey:

Bibberz
09-01-2008, 01:05 PM
:lol: ahh yes, the faymoose "puta"...
It was pretty frustrating, indeed...
and then he played Roddick after that :lol:

He really said that?! Wow, I had no idea. Who taught him that language? :(

EDIT: I googled around, but I did not find that reference. I found something much worse, though I don't think I'm even going to post it here because it's just so...disappointing and....wrong. :sad:

Aenea
09-01-2008, 01:18 PM

EDIT: I googled around, but I did not find that reference. I found something much worse, though I don't think I'm even going to post it here because it's just so...disappointing and....wrong. :sad:

Come on who wouldn't have said that having to play Karlovic. People are trying to play some tennis not just stand on the baseline and receive serve :mad:. It was such a frustrating match, I believe when Rafa said that he referred to the match itself not Karlovic. If it were me playing someone like Karlovic I might have used some even stronger words and would have broken a racquet or two.

Aenea
09-01-2008, 01:18 PM

Come on who wouldn't have said that having to play Karlovic. People are trying to play some tennis not just stand on the baseline and receive serve :mad:. It was such a frustrating match, I believe when Rafa said that he referred to the match itself not Karlovic. If it were me playing someone like Karlovic I might have used some even stronger words and would have broken a racquet or two.

Bibberz
09-01-2008, 01:26 PM

I was joking about the Karlovic bit. I said worse when I watched that match. :lol:

Tnn74
09-01-2008, 01:35 PM

:lol: :hug:
The language is bad, indeed... but it's understandable
when playing Karlovic... I believe he withstood 35 Aces :eek:
in that match... so a little "puta" from our Rafa isn't so bad, no? :D

Tnn74
09-01-2008, 01:37 PM

It was pure sarcasm from BD Aenea :hug:
besides, It's frustrating, yes, but it's
good we also got that faymoose smile out of
that match if I remembered correctly... :angel:

Bibberz
09-01-2008, 01:38 PM
:lol: :hug:
The language is bad, indeed... but it's understandable
when playing Karlovic... I believe he withstood 35 Aces :eek:
in that match... so a little "puta" from our Rafa isn't so bad, no? :D

No, saying "puta" in that situation is very understandable, particularly if it's not directed at anyone in particular. However, I found a fairly credible report of Rafa using "puta" in a very, very different context. If anyone feels like finding it they can track it down with a little googling.

Tnn74
09-01-2008, 01:52 PM
No, saying "puta" in that situation is very understandable, particularly if it's not directed at anyone in particular. However, I found a fairly credible report of Rafa using "puta" in a very, very different context. If anyone feels like finding it they can track it down with a little googling.

It wasn't the incident where they reported
he said "puta" to a ball kid, was it...? :eek:
Somehow I still refuse to believe that :awww:

EDIT: okay, so I did some googling and found this...
"There was an extraordinary moment during Thursday's win over Mikhail Youzhny when he muttered "Puta", or "whore", over his shoulder at a ball boy who waited a microsecond too long to take his towel from him. If he understood, I'm sure the ball boy didn't mind. Being called a whore by Rafael Nadal is a moment to treasure."

-Apparently being called a "whore" by Rafa is a moment to treasure :lol: :retard:

Aenea
09-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I was joking about the Karlovic bit. I said worse when I watched that match. :lol:

I see. My bad :)

It was pure sarcasm from BD Aenea :hug:
besides, It's frustrating, yes, but it's
good we also got that faymoose smile out of
that match if I remembered correctly... :angel:

:smash: for me

Well I'm not that good at recognizing sarcasm :sad:

Today it's going to be another frustrating serve manifest match :sobbing:

Tnn74
09-01-2008, 02:04 PM
I see. My bad :)

:smash: for me

Well I'm not that good at recognizing sarcasm :sad:

Today it's going to be another frustrating serve manifest match :sobbing:

:hug: Rafa will be alright, don't worry :yeah:

Bibberz
09-01-2008, 06:23 PM
It wasn't the incident where they reported
he said "puta" to a ball kid, was it...? :eek:
Somehow I still refuse to believe that :awww:

EDIT: okay, so I did some googling and found this...
"There was an extraordinary moment during Thursday's win over Mikhail Youzhny when he muttered "Puta", or "whore", over his shoulder at a ball boy who waited a microsecond too long to take his towel from him. If he understood, I'm sure the ball boy didn't mind. Being called a whore by Rafael Nadal is a moment to treasure."

-Apparently being called a "whore" by Rafa is a moment to treasure :lol: :retard:

Yeah, that's the one. I'll keep this post short since this is meant to be the USO thread, though. The story could well be bogus because (1) who--besides Vince Spadea--would even say that to a ballkid?; (2) Rafa's nicer than that; (3) if he said it all, it could have been a general "puta," as if to say This is one whore of a situation!; and (4) it could be a mistranslation.

Who knows what he really said? I'll email him and ask him directly. Maybe he'll answer the question in the Q&A section of his blog. :D

l_mac
09-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Yeah, that's the one. I'll keep this post short since this is meant to be the USO thread, though. The story could well be bogus because (1) who--besides Vince Spadea--would even say that to a ballkid?; (2) Rafa's nicer than that; (3) if he said it all, it could have been a general "puta," as if to say This is one whore of a situation!; and (4) it could be a mistranslation.

Who knows what he really said? I'll email him and ask him directly. Maybe he'll answer the question in the Q&A section of his blog. :D

Isn't puta a general curse?

He seems to use it in much the same way as I use "shit" (actually fuck, but that sounds too coarse)

acionescu
09-01-2008, 06:54 PM
As Linda said "Puta" means indeed whore but is used usually by Spanish-speakers as English-speakers use *shit" or "f*ck" or French "putain" or "merdre"

Tnn74
09-01-2008, 07:19 PM

He seems to use it in much the same way as I use "shit" (actually fuck, but that sounds too coarse)

That's what I figured too Linda,
but anyway, I doubt Rafito will ever say
anything like that to a ball kid :angel:

l_mac
09-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Querrey must have seen Hema didn't even bother with an inventive custom title for this match, and he is taking his rage at the snub out on Rafa.

And Rafa is playing like ass because HE SUCKS ON HARD.

Tnn74
09-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Querrey must have seen Hema didn't even bother with an inventive custom title for this match, and he is taking his rage at the snub out on Rafa.

And Rafa is playing like ass because HE SUCKS ON HARD.

:lol: Poor Linda, he really gets to you
sometimes with his matches, doesn't he...? :hug:

But he WON! way to go Rafito! :rocker2:
please clean up your game against Fish Rafa :awww:

GuiroNl
09-01-2008, 09:13 PM
He was saying puta a lot in his match against Gonzo at the Australian Open last year. Didn't he get a warning for that at one point during that match?

Bibberz
09-01-2008, 09:19 PM

As Linda said "Puta" means indeed whore but is used usually by Spanish-speakers as English-speakers use *shit" or "f*ck" or French "putain" or "merdre"

That's what I figured too Linda,
but anyway, I doubt Rafito will ever say
anything like that to a ball kid :angel:

We can finally put this matter to rest because Rafa responded to my email. He said I was "a 'puta' for try bad name him." :sad:

l_mac
09-01-2008, 09:23 PM
We can finally put this matter to rest because Rafa responded to my email. He said I was "a 'puta' for try bad name him." :sad:

I think he probably called you "puta madre" :hug:

l_mac
09-01-2008, 09:24 PM
He was saying puta a lot in his match against Gonzo at the Australian Open last year. Didn't he get a warning for that at one point during that match?

He should have. It's like saying fuck.

Filthy mouth, the Mallorcan has.

Lopaka
09-01-2008, 09:41 PM
He needed a warning for more than dirty words. He needs a scolding from Uncle Toni for his play in the Querrey match. I hate to think of Fish giving Rafa an exit from the USO.

josie
09-01-2008, 10:37 PM
this was aired before today's match
thanks marylay77.
Rafa looks so http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_drool.gifhttp://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_thud.gif
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1cFZypU47PM&hl=de&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1cFZypU47PM&hl=de&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pepi.
09-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Well done rafa :D

:banana:

NancyIsabelle
09-02-2008, 12:35 AM
He needed a warning for more than dirty words. He needs a scolding from Uncle Toni for his play in the Querrey match. I hate to think of Fish giving Rafa an exit from the USO.

:haha: Finally I was able to see the last part of the match (the 2 last sets) and the image was not very big on my screen. But Rafa made a lot of mistakes for sure and Querrey played well. Sure Toni will have a couple of words to tell his nephew. ;)

Getta
09-02-2008, 03:50 AM

Aenea
09-02-2008, 06:33 AM
Qh, Rafa last night you played such a tough match. Second set was terrible. I hope this will be your wake up call for the rest of the tournament.

After the match Rafa said that after playing so many matches this year he tended to lose focus in some games and felt a little bit overconfident. Overconfident? :confused: On hard? :confused: Wake up, Rafa!

But still

:woohoo: :woohoo:

We are into the QF already :bigclap: Come on, Rafa make me lose in MIT... again :D

Aenea
09-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Rafa's presser

Transcribed Interview

Q. How difficult was that match?

RAFAEL NADAL: It was difficult, no? It was very difficult, especially after my big mistake in the second set. I was playing normal, fine. Nothing special, but nothing bad.

I had the match under control, no? 6‑4 break, but he break back for me. But I can't understand exactly, because I was serving against wind and was difficult because the wind was heavy today.

But with the 5‑4 on serve, I didn't lose any serve with the wind. With the wind in my favor, I didn't lose any game during all the match, and I lost the game in 0, no? So it was terrible.

Later he break me another time, so the match was crazy like that, no? I served it very bad in the second, so in the third ‑‑ but the important thing I played my best tennis in the tiebreak.

Q. Did he impress you?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I know him. I know him. He has a good serve. I think he start playing not very good, and later he play better. But he's a good player, no? We know that.

Q. How much did the Olympics help your confidence at hard courts? This look like the most comfortable you've ever been here so far over the years.

RAFAEL NADAL: Not today. The Olympics maybe didn't help me right now for this tournament, no? The Olympics was one of the most important title in my careera. But I was playing good in hard court before the Olympics, no?

I won in Toronto, semifinals in Cincinnati, and semifinal in Indian Wells and Australia, and Miami final, no, so the results was very good, no?

Q. When you come into a Grand Slam, do you anticipate that, yes, there will be one match maybe in the middle where you won't be playing so well and you'll have to fight a lot and be fighting against yourself?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think too much. I don't think those things before the tournament, no?

I just go and try my best ever match, no? It's not in Grand Slam; in every tournament you have one bad day. That's the normal thing.

Important thing is win. When you are playing not your best, the important thing is win. I did today, so I have a chance for practice tomorrow and for play another time on Wednesday. So that's the important thing. I'm very happy for that.

Q. Do you feel fully recovered from the travel from Beijing?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, if I don't feel recovered after two weeks, we have a big problem, no?

Q. The ATP is making a change with Etienne having left. You are now in a position of power within the ATP.

RAFAEL NADAL: You never know.

Q. Can you talk a little bit about what you would like to see this new person to do most importantly when he or she comes in?

RAFAEL NADAL: For me, most important thing is, first of all, a little bit more communication than the past.

For sure, the second thing is one person who knows a little bit about the tennis, no? And one person who wants to talk about with the persons who knows the tennis well.

Because Etienne, well, had some new ideas, so that's my opinion. Wasn't bad, because, you know, always when you have a change, you can be wrong, but you can be right, no?

So he had the change, so in my opinion, that is fine, but the wrong thing is ‑‑ well, never talk for the other people, for ‑‑ to consult another people who really knows the tennis, no?

Well, in my opinion a lot of people knows the tennis. Tour managers was here since more than ten years and never talk with these guys who know about how was the problems for the tennis for the last few years.

I think they know better which problems they have then the new CEO that was Etienne, no? So I think the new have to have more communication with the people who knows the tennis good.

Q. Will the schedule be one of the things, one of the problems?

RAFAEL NADAL: The schedule, when you start, first of all, the 1st of January and you finish the 20th of December, 25th or 30th of November, it's always going to be a big problem, because it's very difficult be at 100% 11 months during the year, no? So that's tough for the players.

But for the rest, the calendar worst than this year going to be impossible. So anything going to be better.

Q. How fresh do you feel going into the quarterfinals now?

RAFAEL NADAL: Normal. Probably I am not in the freshest moment in my life, but I am fine. So important thing, I am there.

I am in the quarterfinals. I have a tough match against Fish. Hopefully I have to play my best for the last part of the tournament, no?

Q. Can you talk about what will the keys be to playing Fish? He'll be is different type of player, a lot of serve and volley and attacking the net.

RAFAEL NADAL: He's a very good player, no? He played the final in New Haven last week. He played the final in Indian Wells too this year.

So he's a dangerous player in hard court, no? Right now he's playing very well. Big serve, very good backhand, good volley.

So he's playing with big confidence, and I have to play very well if I want to win.

Q. How much does the excitement of New York City fire you up now? You must be enjoying the Big Apple?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't have a lot of chance for enjoy, no? I practice every day, I play, so ‑‑ one day I going to come for holidays another time, no? I did in the past.

Q. Last year when you were here, you were very concerned about the health of your knees, especially at hard courts. Have you solved that problem? Are your knees feeling better?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I am fine, no? Last year I didn't have a lot of problems. I only have the problem in the final of Wimbledon and here another time, no? The big problem was ‑‑ the two times when I had the problem was in Grand Slam, so...

But I feel very well physically, no? The last few years, very happy for that. For sure I'm a little bit worried about the tennis, because it's moving always in the way for play more and more in hard surfaces, no?

Hard surfaces, I think, is more difficult for the body, no? You go to the trainer's room. When I go, I am never alone, so that's not a good news for the sport, no? So we have to think a little bit about that.

Q. Many people have said your victory over Roger at Wimbledon was the best match in tennis history. When you think back to the match and everything that happened, and greeting your family and the Spanish royalty, what was the most special moment or memory that you have from that match, that experience?

RAFAEL NADAL: Everything for me was very, very nice, no? I start winning two sets to Love, but I think was little bit lucky, because he had 4‑1 in the second.

Later, we stop, I have big chance in the third with Love‑40 ‑‑ 3‑All, Love‑40, I think. He served well and then bad returning the 30‑40, and for the rest of the match, was amazing, no?

I have amazing double fault in the 5‑2. Later in the fifth, anything can happen there, no? But most important thing, well, the more special moment for me was when Roger push the forehand to the net, no? For sure that's it.

Q. Could you see then? At that time, could you see what was going on? It was dark.

RAFAEL NADAL: It was very dark. The last game was very dark. Too dark.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

cc2monac
09-02-2008, 10:37 AM
OMG! the match of yesterday scared the sh** out of me! I really thought rafa would win the match after he lost the 2d set and had to play a tie break in the 3rd one!
now I'm scared Fish can stop his run...vamos rafa! need to wake up!

09-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Qh, Rafa last night you played such a tough match. Second set was terrible. I hope this will be your wake up call for the rest of the tournament.

After the match Rafa said that after playing so many matches this year he tended to lose focus in some games and felt a little bit overconfident. Overconfident? :confused: On hard? :confused: Wake up, Rafa!

But still

:woohoo: :woohoo:

We are into the QF already :bigclap: Come on, Rafa make me lose in MIT... again :D
:lol: How can he lose focus and yet be even a little bit overconfident :confused: I think he is probably just plain tired :sad: And he has had to play two HUGE players right in a row :eek: At least Fish isn't so big! I would love to see Rafa win the U.S. Open and I'm sure some day he will. But it is asking a lot of a player even Rafa to win the F.O. on clay (France), Wimbledon on grass (England), go to China for the Olympics and come up Gold there. And then have to come clear back to the U.S. for the Open here and try to win it also :eek: :eek: But he is still winning so Vamos for the QFs :D

Foxy
09-02-2008, 01:15 PM
:lol: How can he lose focus and yet be even a little bit overconfident :confused: I think he is probably just plain tired :sad: And he has had to play two HUGE players right in a row :eek: At least Fish isn't so big! I would love to see Rafa win the U.S. Open and I'm sure some day he will. But it is asking a lot of a player even Rafa to win the F.O. on clay (France), Wimbledon on grass (England), go to China for the Olympics and come up Gold there. And then have to come clear back to the U.S. for the Open here and try to win it also :eek: :eek: But he is still winning so Vamos for the QFs :D

I know this feeling to be overconfident. It generally means you underestimate your opponent. The worst thing is that being overconfident you can become very rapidly on extremely low confidence after just a couple of missed shots.

Looking back to the match.
At the end of the second set I got mad. Rafa was losing games to a average player. By that time Sam was doing almost nothing. But then suddenly Sam started hitting winners all over the court, painting the lines, hitting some lucky netcords at crucial points(remember both games *5:4 and *5:6). By the end of the match I started to realise this Sam was not that bad player. In fact he maybe played the match of his life after the middle of the second set.

On another note Sam was never in a winning position. He was never a break up in any of the sets. He lost the tiebreak 7:2. But he had a great number of break opportunities which is worrisome for Rafa.

A little about the conditions.
The wind is a factor. Probably a greater factor than some of you may suggest. It seemed the wind was changing its direction and was inconstant. In some of the rallies it moved the ball sideways pushing the ball right in Rafa's body as he was trying to runaround his backhand. Both players struggled calculating the exact ball bounce. I noticed at least three times when Rafa was caught unprepared for the bounce mostly at mid court resulting in stretching and hitting right in Sam's comfort zone followed by a cranking winner from the American.

Last thing. What do you think about the ice Rafa puts on his head and neck? I haven't seen any other player doing that at that particular day? Is it just precautionary? Was there too hot?

rafa_maniac
09-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Still sure Rafa is displaying good form Aenea? :p

Aenea
09-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Still sure Rafa is displaying good form Aenea? :p

:scratch:

I never said he displayed a good form so far. I only said he was doing enough to stay on course without spending too much energy and staying on court as short as possible.
I definitely expected him to play better in that match vs Querrey but something went wrong in that 2nd set.

Never mind. The main thing is he made it to the QF. I hope he'll have enough time to talk things over with Toni Nadal. I hope he won't lose focus in the next match vs another American who will be backed up by the crowd once again. I'm glad Rafa had that tough match yesterday. Read PMK's posts on the chat thread. He had some nice posts about the match.

yana
09-02-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm worried about next round.

This FISH is good :scared:

Aenea
09-02-2008, 07:58 PM
OOP Sep, 3rd

Arthur Ashe 11.00 AM
Not Before 12:30 PM
2. Women's Singles - Qtr. Finals
Flavia Pennetta (ITA)[16] v. Dinara Safina (RUS)[6]
Not Before 2:00 PM
3. Men's Singles - Qtr. Finals
Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG)[17] v. Andy Murray (GBR)[6]
Arthur Ashe 7.00 PM
1. Women's Singles - Qtr. Finals
Serena Williams (USA)[4] v. Venus Williams (USA)[7]
2. Men's Singles - Qtr. Finals
Rafael Nadal (ESP)[1] v. Mardy Fish (USA)

Vamos, Rafa :inlove: Best of luck against Fish :cheerleader:

Tnn74
09-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Night match for Rafito...
Fish is serving HUGE.
I hope Raf gets plenty of rest.
it's time to get the quarterfinal monkey
off our backs, vamos! :rocker2:

Metis
09-03-2008, 02:32 AM
Nadal-Querrey 6-2 5-7 (:mad:) 7-6 6-3

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th - Metis, l_mac

Linda, we both picked 4th round so there was no chance for Rafa to lose, even though he was playing like crap. :D

I just realized this is the 13th tournament in the MIT competition, therefore our 13th loss. Time to celebrate:

http://www.realfreewebsites.com/blog/img/fail2.jpg

the_natural
09-03-2008, 04:06 AM
Rafa :( Nup, i said it before will say again, Murray Federer final, -05 lost to blake who lost to andre who lost to federer, 06 youhzny lost to roddick, 07 Ferrer lost to Nole lost in final... theres a pattern there and i feel it coming on again. Rafas playing really badly, hes playing worse than he did in australia.

I dont think fatigue is a fair excuse for him returning from the linesmans chairs, seriously what happen to that aggressive play he showed so beautifully throughout the HC season especially the gold medal match? It doesnt make much sense, and hes struggling on every service game against every player, ok that may be physical, but not the lack of aggression, and standing back so far.

Only excuse is mental fatigue i guess, but damn its scarey, this would been his best chance ever to win, his best set up his best form but damn it...

10nisfan
09-03-2008, 04:34 AM
I dont think fatigue is a fair excuse for him... seriously what happen to that aggressive play he showed so beautifully throughout the HC season especially the gold medal match? It doesnt make much sense, and hes struggling on every service game against every player, ok that may be physical, but not the lack of aggression, and standing back so far.

Only excuse is mental fatigue i guess, but damn its scarey, this would been his best chance ever to win, his best set up his best form but damn it...

Maybe He's Physically Tired COZ He Goes to See "The Phantom of the Opera" every Night while in New York...:unsure: :lol:

rafa_maniac
09-03-2008, 06:10 AM
I agree it will be a Murray - Fed final. Fed winning.

Lopaka
09-03-2008, 06:12 AM
After watching today's matches featuring the bottom half of the draw I have only one thing for Rafa:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/bobby117/album1/Rafahanginthere.jpg

the biscuit
09-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Fishmeister, LOL.

I agree it will be a Murray - Fed final. Fed winning.

No. Way. If Rafa gets past Fish, he'll get past Andy too, as much as I'd like for Andy to reach his first finals. Djokovic will get past Federer too. 5 sets against Andreev is even poorer than 4 against Robredo.

wilmar
09-03-2008, 08:00 AM
I think so too. Rafa may be tired, but Andy didn't have it that easy too. He had some long matches himself too. And Del Potro will make sure it's a long QF for Andy. Rafa will pull up his socks tomorrow and have his plate of Fish N Chips! And Rafa will get past Murray too.

Tess Gray
09-03-2008, 08:48 AM
I was like Who the HELL is Fishmeister...:scratch: It's early here, that's my only excuse. :lol:

CRAP! Another nightmatch, expected though but oh well. :o Vamos Rafa, get to the semis baby :D

The_Nadal_effect
09-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Rafa should get past Fish in straights. He has the psychological advantage over him, but he would lose in the semis to the Scot...and guess who will win the MIT???
:D

Xristos
09-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Do not fear Fish, I am a little worried about a SF with Murray.

l_mac
09-04-2008, 03:47 AM

:mad:

Foxy
09-04-2008, 06:14 AM
Yeahhh, Fish fried!
36 61 64 62

Lopaka
09-04-2008, 06:19 AM

I wasn't but it is always nice to find agreement. Rafa done good!

10nisfan
09-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Yup We Got a Fried Fish!... :lol:

Next Stop: Murray in the Semis... I think he can handle Murray...:rocker:

Go Rafa!...:yeah:

rafa_maniac
09-04-2008, 06:30 AM
Murray :scared:

Aenea
09-04-2008, 07:12 AM
SF at US Open :woohoo:

Well done, Rafa :bigclap:

Congratulations for reaching SF or better in all Grand Slam tourneys this season :worship:

Eden
09-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Transcribed Interview

An Interview With: Rafael Nadal

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Q. Great match tonight. Just if you could describe the atmosphere out there and how you feel about the way you played.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it was a great atmosphere out there, no? He started playing well and serving unbelievable. Playing good from the baseline, too. He has a break, so I have some chances but he served too well, too good.

Just for me it was very important win, no? Very happy for be in the semifinals, for sure. That's a, well, another important thing in my careera: Play the semifinals in all Grand Slams in the same season. That's very good and very important for me. Close the quarterfinals here in New York.

Q. You're playing an American out there, but I sat through the whole match and it was an electrifying crowd and a lot of support out there for you tonight. Did you feel the support?

RAFAEL NADAL: The crowd was always very nice with me, no? All the time. I arrived here two weeks and a half ago, and all the time they give me a lot of support. So just can say thank you very much.

Q. You played Andy on clay, hard court, grass. You've beaten him and you've done well again, but he's certainly coming in as a very hot player.

RAFAEL NADAL: He's playing very well and having a very good summer. Playing quarterfinals in Wimbledon, after playing semifinals in Toronto, and champion in Cincinnati, no? So he's very, very good player for sure. He's top, 4, no?

So right now going to be very tough match.

Q. Is he more dangerous on this surface now than when he was when you played him at Wimbledon because of the good run he's had?

RAFAEL NADAL: I have all the respect for him always, no? In Wimbledon, the same respect like right now, no? I know how good is Andy and how good he can play.

So I know the only way for a win is play my best tennis, no? I did very well in Wimbledon and I played one of my best matches there. I beat him in the semifinals of Toronto, too, but it was a very close match and I played well. My goal is try to find my best feeling and my best performance, all the chance for winnings, play very well for me.

Q. Did it bother you at all to start a match at 11:30 at night?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it was not usual, no. So for sure ‑‑ not the best conditions to play a tennis match. But sometimes the schedules are tough, like here, and Australia, too. So sometimes it's difficult.

But nothing to do, no? Just accept and go on court and for sure try my best.

Q. It must be a good story to tell your children that you played a match over two days. It started on Wednesday and ended Thursday.

RAFAEL NADAL: Okay.

Q. Your experience in semifinals is enormous. Andy has never been to this stage before. What asset is that to you?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think nothing, no? I'm not playing against a guy who his ranking is 50 and for him being in the semifinals is unbelievable, no?

Andy, when I come here, for sure he know he can be in the semifinals and he can win the title, no? So for sure his first semifinals in a Grand Slam, but he played very important matches. So going to be nothing strange for him, no?

Q. Was there a difference between you energy level early, and as the match went on, were you increasing your kind of energy?

RAFAEL NADAL: I have more energy after the match, later?

Q. No, I mean, as the match went on, from the first set to the second to the third.

RAFAEL NADAL: Can you repeat that?

Q. Was your energy level at its highest from the start, or did you have to play into the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I try my best from the beginning, no? I always try my best from the beginning. I have a lot of breaks in the first game.

In my careera, no, I had a lot, so that's the important point, to start very strong. And I always try this, but today he started stronger than me.

But anyway, I have a breakpoint in the first game.

Q. But you were not happy with your game today, the way you played?

RAFAEL NADAL: If I'm not happy?

Q. Yeah.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, if I not happy and I'm in semifinals of US Open I going to be very stupid, no? For me, it's very important result. I told before, I not play like last week ‑‑ two weeks, three weeks ago in Beijing. Yes, I'm not playing at the same level like Beijing.

But if you're in semifinals, you have to be something good for be there, no? For sure I'm doing well. Important thing I have another match for try to improve a little bit more, no?

I feel better today than the last days in some moments, so I hope be at 100%for the semifinals.

Q. You've had so many major accomplishments this year. This is a first for you, getting beyond the quarterfinals here at the US Open. How much is that alone an accomplishment for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Be in the semifinals?

Q. Yeah, being in the semifinals.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, for sure you want to play good in all places, no? My goal is always to play good in all places. I feel in the past here I always did not well, no?

So when you are in semifinals, for sure. Anyway, whatever going to happen in the last two rounds, for me it's a very good tournament, no? So that's true.

I have to be happy for be in the semifinal, because the season are very long and I arrived a little bit tired.

Anyway, I still doing well, so that's important because since my level it's going very well, no?

Q. You did say you were tired coming into the tournament. Do you feel your body has recovered?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I'm with very special motivation.

Source: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2008-09-04/200809041220511562000.html

Tnn74
09-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Yeah baby! Finally kicked down that SF wall! :rocker:
great win Rafa! Now go and bite that trophy! :hug:

Xristos
09-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Vamooos Rafa!

Im a lil worried tho.

star
09-04-2008, 01:52 PM
SO happy for Nadal! :yippee: :yippee:

Here is my favorite headline that I found this morning.

Serena beats back 10 set points, tops Venus in all-Williams US Open quarter; Nadal also wins :lol:

Also I loved the interview. And my favorite part was: "Just for me it was very important win, no? Very happy for be in the semifinals, for sure. That's a, well, another important thing in my careera" :lol: They even put in his accent there!

And this is priceless:

Q. It must be a good story to tell your children that you played a match over two days. It started on Wednesday and ended Thursday.

sphiie
09-04-2008, 02:33 PM

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL Rafa's answer! clear end short xDD

Metis
09-04-2008, 09:26 PM
I almost forgot! :(

Nadal-Fish 3-6 6-1 6-4 6-2 :bigclap:

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th - Metis, l_mac

Aenea, wildegirl05, yana:

http://animejb.net/gallery2/d/548-1/tricycle_fail.jpg

The_Nadal_effect
09-05-2008, 06:13 AM
^^:haha:

Metis, you come up with some really unique pictures.

Rafa, nice USO. You've done your bit here this year. :yeah:

Tess Gray
09-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Can anybody tell me what happened at the end of the match when some guy got removed from the audience?
The look on Rafa's face was just :mad: (Fish' as well btw:o) but I didn't hear what he said :shrug: