U.S. Open 2008 - R 064: vs. Muller; Come on!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

U.S. Open 2008 - R 064: vs. Muller; Come on!!

el tenista
08-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Here we go for the last Grand Slam of the year!

The draw comes out on Thursday, 21 August, the exact time will be announced the next days.
In fact, Tommy does not have much chances to be seeded. He's ranked at No #39 at the moment and only Ancic has withdrawn from the U.S. Open so far.

But we have to take it how it is so let's just hope the best for the draw! I'd like to see him in the quarter of the No. 2 (Federer) or No. 4 (Ferrer) because in my opinion Tommy is not able to beat Nadal or Djokovic. Maybe it would be nice if he has a Top 20 opponent in the 1st round, for example Robredo, because then he'll have a very nice position in the draw, if he is able to beat this player. Worst case would be Nadal or Djokovic in the first two rounds...So let's pray ;)

I believe in you Tommy! You still can so some damage and you'll be able to defend your QF if your play good tennis! Come on!

thefly
08-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I think that's what Tommy wants to do, that's why he's still playing, to venture deep into a slam like the USO, to be successful, and to achieve that you have to beat top players anyway, so if that happens in the first round or in the fourth, in the end it's not such a big difference.

And just for the record: in spite of all the trouble Tommy had, this USO series was more successful than last year's. And the year doesn't end with the Open. I hope for Tommy that he can defend as many points as possible, and thus be motivated to continue playing well in the remaining year, so that he has a good position to start a new, finally and hopefully healthy season without such problems. For that, I would be glad if Tommy ended up in the Top 30 at the end of the year, and that should be his aim for the months to come.

Yeah, I guess I'm looking to far ahead, but these are just my thoughts right now.
Whatever, good luck for the Open, can't wait to see you in action again on these beautiful courts. ;)

Lugburz
08-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi,guys ! That would be good option if he gets Robredo or someone like him in early rounds...Of course Tommy as unseeded also can get very descent draw if he gets lucky,I mean he had so bad draws lately and still managed to defend some major points from last year(Wimbledon was close) and even play better USO Series as thefly mentioned...
As I said this is his favorite event,so I think that this is everything what he waited for..As a matter of fact he wouldn't played 4 tours before USO if he isn't expecting something in USO...So,I think it's about the time for us to see nice draw for Tommy or even descent one.Pity that we can't count now on withdrawals because every player wants to play last Slam of the year...It would be good if there is chance Tommy get a seed but hardly..NeverMind,we all know who Tommy is and with his game he can beat everyone on tour,so can't wait for Tommy's fav Slam !
Auf Geht's Tommy ! Los ihnen alle! :)

TommyB.
08-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah finally New York, best GS of the year. Tennis at the prime time for us Europeans. ;) A prediction is really difficult without a draw this time, I hope Tommy will avoid the top guys at the beginning.

I'd like to know what Tommy plans after it. I think he won't go to Asia. Vienna or Stockholm in October could be the next station.

08-19-2008, 02:30 AM
I want to mention that Marcos is out of the U.S. Open due to his wrist problem. So that is two players out already that I know of. And with a Tournament going on now who knows what things will be like at the start of the U.S. Open ;)

el tenista
08-19-2008, 11:16 AM
I want to mention that Marcos is out of the U.S. Open due to his wrist problem. So that is two players out already that I know of. And with a Tournament going on now who knows what things will be like at the start of the U.S. Open ;)

But Baghdatis does not matter for Tommy because Marcos is behind him in the rankings ;)

bambelbitz
08-19-2008, 06:43 PM
I wish him the best of luck for the US Open, he has had so many setbacks in his career!!!

08-19-2008, 09:16 PM
But Baghdatis does not matter for Tommy because Marcos is behind him in the rankings ;)
My goodness I lost track of Marcos' ranking :o But with a wrist problem I guess he hadn't been playing well so his ranking dropped. Del Portro dropped out of the New Haven Tournament. Why I don't know?

TommyB.
08-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Del Portro dropped out of the New Haven Tournament. Why I don't know?

Expected one because of fatigue. I think he'll play New York without any doubt. ;)

thefly
08-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Expected one because of fatigue. I think he'll play New York without any doubt. ;)

Maybe he doesn't, and just waits for the next small tournament to keep his streak up, since he also skipped both Cincy and Toronto ... ;)

thefly
08-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Seeds announced. (http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/usopen_seeds.asp)

Oh boy, good luck for the draw, Tommy!

Wyna
08-20-2008, 11:59 AM

wow, he dropped down quick... :rolleyes:
Anyway, I hope that Tommy can have a good tournament, win some rounds and I really want him to have a little luck with the draw :angel:

TennisFan2012
08-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Seeds announced. (http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/usopen_seeds.asp)

Oh boy, good luck for the draw, Tommy!

Thanks, thefly. I hadn't heard Hewitt's bad news. Hope he recovers quickly.

el tenista
08-21-2008, 09:05 AM
The draw will be announced at 11 a.m. Eastern Day Time which is 5 p.m. Central European Time!

thefly
08-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Fingers crossed. Hard!

Asar
08-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Hellloooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am like Tommy very very much and maybe he can play very well in USO.
Sorry for my bad English. :o

Lugburz
08-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Oh boy,Richie coming up.... http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/ms/r1s4.html

el tenista
08-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Tough draw...

Gasquet, NoName, Almagro, Davydenko, Federer, Djokovic, Nadal

Sounds good :eek::eek::eek:

Lugburz
08-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Ok now,Tommy has great game vs Richie just remember that Aus Open 1st Round match,Tommy crashed him...Now,Richie seems that improved a lot and it will be very very difficult one...Also to mention Gasquet's motivation this year because he had to withdrew last year I think in 2nd Round...We can expect anything although I think Gasquet will be favorite to win this one.But we are all with Tommy and US will be behind him on that one so he will have totally support ;)
Seems like very difficult path to defend last year QF's but I have faith in Tommy ! Because Tommy is much better player in 5sets match than 3..So,bottom line our boy has good chances even he will play Gasquet...Hope this match will be on main court because it should with the quality of the players..There's still a hope ;)

Yappa
08-21-2008, 07:20 PM
If he defeats Gasquet, he has a shot at the QF, considering that Davydenko might crash out early.

thefly
08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Jeez ... this first round drawing is definitely in the not-so-lucky category. On the other hand, the following rounds up to the fourth don't look so bad. So after that first obstacle is taken, I think a lot is possible. And somehow I have the feeling that Davy won't make it that far.

Well, here we are, the feared tough opening is reality. Then again, at least there's a prospect for an incredibly entertaining match. It's definitely the blockbuster among the first round matches, and the fact that Tommy isn't seeded creates a real early treat for the crowd. But to be honest - I could live without this treat ...

TommyB.
08-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Not a great first round. :( But Gasquet is an inconsistent player. Let's see...

thefly
08-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Looks like Tommy's already preparing properly (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/photos/2008-08-21/200808211219343502828.html). ;)

Tommy fan
08-22-2008, 11:24 AM
:sad:
Pfff what a first rouond! :( two faves of mine and one of gthem will lose in a GS rd1..
(It's ovious that I'm rooting for Tommy, right?)

anyway, it's tough to say wether it's gonna be easty or not. Tommy's health is always a question mark, and so is Gasquet's form this year.
Ofcourse Gasquet is the favorite, but Tommy can win if he'll play well.
This match is very attractive for a 1st round match, it better be on center court :armed:
Come on Tommy!

P.S
I'm back :D :wavey:

Jogy
08-22-2008, 05:04 PM
difficult opponent in first round

but Gasquet is possible to beat for Tommy

I hope best!!!!! :banana: :banana:

thefly
08-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Maybe it turns out to be a good thing. Tommy knows what's coming, can prepare himself, and is in a situation where he has to aim high from the beginning. I'm sure he is motivated as hell ...

thefly
08-23-2008, 04:50 PM
I thought I redirect this newly aroused trainer talk to this thread ... indeed, on ATPtennis.com, Tommy's last coach has been deleted (btw, his current doubles ranking ist 666! :p), and he was recently seen with old coach Hogstedt. Now, to be honest, it would really rock if these two are together again. I was really surprised back then when it was announced that Tommy and Hogstedt went separate ways. I think Hogstedt did a great job and somehow "got" Tommy.

Let's see, I'm sure we will know more as soon as the Open have started. Especially in Germany, if Matthias Stach comments his first round match, he will certainly fill us in on all the details. ;)

Tommy fan
08-23-2008, 06:21 PM
I thought I redirect this newly aroused trainer talk to this thread ... indeed, on ATPtennis.com, Tommy's last coach has been deleted (btw, his current doubles ranking ist 666! :p), and he was recently seen with old coach Hogstedt. Now, to be honest, it would really rock if these two are together again. I was really surprised back then when it was announced that Tommy and Hogstedt went separate ways. I think Hogstedt did a great job and somehow "got" Tommy.

Let's see, I'm sure we will know more as soon as the Open have started. Especially in Germany, if Matthias Stach comments his first round match, he will certainly fill us in on all the details. ;)

If they are together again it's great for him (and for us ;) )
I hope we'll find out as soon as possible, from the commentry and maybe from his form too

666 :scared: :lol:

bambelbitz
08-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Tough draw for Haas with Richard, but if he can beat Gasquet, he can go very far!

TommyB.
08-23-2008, 07:25 PM
I hope we'll find out as soon as possible, from the commentry and maybe from his form too

or from his website :p

Yes I think we'll hear something during the tournament. The German media is mostly behind in such cases. They haven't said anything about Tommy and Dean Goldfine for example.

TennisFan2012
08-24-2008, 05:42 PM
I hope the distracted Gasquet shows up instead of the focused Gasquet!

I see this match is not on the Monday schedule.

Someone offered me free tickets for box seats on Weds. but I was unable to get out of work :-(! Maybe next year!

Go Tommy!

Lugburz
08-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Yep-no Tommy for the opening day,here's the link http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/p_schedule7.pdf
So we can pray that Tommy/Gasquet should be played on Arthur Ashe because I think it would be wise :)

thefly
08-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Oh no, I'm out tuesday night. Crap. Please let it be late, or better, on wednesday! ;)

Lugburz
08-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Oh no, I'm out tuesday night. Crap. Please let it be late, or better, on wednesday! ;)

Ha,It wouldn't benefit for everyone to be on Wednesday,but it will be good for you to be on Tuesday night ;) Fingers crossed for you :)

thefly
08-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Certainly a perfect first round match for the night session. I'll have my fingers crossed. ;)

Lugburz
08-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Definitely the best match in 1st Round,I would say that even if I am not fan of Tommy..

Lugburz
08-24-2008, 08:49 PM

I have just checked,according to this: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/eventschedule.html?promo=leftnav
all 1st Round matches will finish before Wednesday...

thefly
08-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah, thought so. Well, here's still hoping for a night session. :)

08-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Well if Tommy is feeling well this should be a interesting match up. Richie kind of comes and goes in his tennis playing. So I hope he will be gone in this Match :lol: Sorry I now understand more why you were all so concerned with Tommy's ranking. To start out playing a Tournament with the Number 12 seed might not be the best of starts :unsure:

Wyna
08-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Yes, but I really think that it could have been a worse seed. Gasquet is beatable I think, but a lot depends on the performance he's showing.
Just hope that Tommy can overcome this first challenge.

thefly
08-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Check out the US Open Talk video with Tommy on the ATP page (http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/home/). ;)

thefly
08-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Tommy plays the second match on Armstrong tomorrow. Damn. Anyone recording this? :p;)

Lugburz
08-26-2008, 02:50 AM
Tommy plays the second match on Armstrong tomorrow. Damn. Anyone recording this? :p;)

affirmative. I think it should be still live on TV ..I guess that Tommy/Gasquet is better match than Spadea/Marat so,we'll see...

Wyna
08-26-2008, 08:55 AM
So no night match...
But I am confident that Eurosport will show! So excited already...

Wyna
08-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Check out the US Open Talk video with Tommy on the ATP page (http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/home/). ;)

I love the comment about last year's match about Blake's fans :lol:

Tommy fan
08-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Well ES better show it.. :armed: it should be the best 1st round match (and it wouldd be better if it'd won by Tommy..)
In the same time on Arture Ashe Safin will play Speada, so I hope ES will make the right choice ;)

Jelena
08-26-2008, 11:40 AM
I think that at least the German section of ES will show it, they tend to concentrate a bit more on German players.

thefly
08-26-2008, 11:52 AM
I think I'll take a portable TV with me to the cinema. :p

Wyna
08-26-2008, 01:51 PM
I think I'll take a portable TV with me to the cinema. :p

This would be so funny! Just imagine you're in the cinema and next to you there's somebody with a portable tv watching tennis :lol:

thefly
08-26-2008, 02:26 PM
This would be so funny! Just imagine you're in the cinema and next to you there's somebody with a portable tv watching tennis :lol:

Yeah, even better, I am the guy who sits NEXT to the guy with the TV watching tennis. ;)

Have fun, see you later, hopefully in a good mood. :)

Lugburz
08-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Great news for us,after Ivanovic match ESP2 will be showing Tommy !

Tommy fan
08-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Yay Tommy on ES now :hearts:
Come on Tommy!!

Wyna
08-26-2008, 06:51 PM
I finally remember how it it to watch Tommy in a GS... :unsure:
Come on Tommy, you can do it!

JMG
08-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Pathetic how he gifted Gasquet the first set. What was he thinking? This break for the third set wasn't much nicer. :tape:

TennisFan2012
08-26-2008, 07:36 PM
can someone please post the scores? I'm not able to see a tv and away from computer (typing this on my phone). Thanks.

Wyna
08-26-2008, 07:55 PM
5-5, 4th set, Gasquet serving 15-15, Tommy needs to win this set!

Wyna
08-26-2008, 07:56 PM
2 break points! Please Tommy, break NOW!

Wyna
08-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Yes, and we go into the fifth!

Wyna
08-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Tommy def. Gasquet 6-7(3) 6-4 5-7 7-5 6-2 :woohoo:

Lugburz
08-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Guys,I am so proud to be Tommy fan these days ! I can't even describe hw do I feel right now ! :worship: 67 63 57 75 62 And now,I am off for camping for next two days,so I wish you ALL THE BEST and see you soon !

AUF GEHT'S TOMMY ! ! !
:worship:

thefly
08-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Yes, terrific way to end the day! Boy, I was so anxious on the way home. After feeling a little sad having just witnessed the late Heath Ledger in this last marvelous role of his, this really brightens me up. ;)
Now I HAVE to see this ...

TommyB.
08-26-2008, 09:13 PM
thanks Tommy :worship:

What a rollercoaster over three hours, a typical Haas match in New York. ;) To be honest, I thought he'll lose after the third set. :o

Wyna
08-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Yes, terrific way to end the day! Boy, I was so anxious on the way home. After feeling a little sad having just witnessed the late Heath Ledger in this last marvelous role of his, this really brightens me up. ;)
Now I HAVE to see this ...

But it has a good ending. So no reason to be anxious anymore.
You watched The Dark Knight then? I love this movie! :D

thefly
08-26-2008, 09:21 PM
But it has a good ending. So no reason to be anxious anymore.
You watched The Dark Knight then? I love this movie! :D

Yeah, it was great. And guess what: right before, I asked my friends if someone's cell phone receives Eurosport - I was joking, of course. Well, one minute later one of them gave me his cell, and there it was, ES on the little screen. Boy, I'm really behind on these thing. ;) Unfortunately they were just showing some women's match (couldn't really make out who :p), and then we had to turn it off of course.

Speaking of which, to the German folks here, how much did ES show of Tommy's match? Is there a "German window" this year? Looks to me more like they're bound to the international direction, no?

Wyna
08-26-2008, 09:26 PM
I am once again surprised about what you can do with a cell phone these days..

they showed the whole match on ES, it was great. I missed the beginning, I think they started a couple of games later because they showed the ending of Ivanovic, but then it was all about Tommy.

TommyB.
08-26-2008, 09:27 PM
ES showed the whole match, except the first 5 or 6 games. I think there's a German window but I'm not really sure. It seems they mix a lot more this year.

el tenista
08-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Partly an awful performance, but in the end he got it. Gasquet was the one who dictated the baseline shots, finally Tommy had a bit more luck I guess. Of course I'm very happy that Tommy reached Round 2 but his game has to improve a lot for the next matches ;)

thefly
08-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Well, Muller now is someone Tommy has to beat playing with his left hand (Muller at least will do so ;)). This guy has a record of 3-4 this year on the tour; his successes on the challenger tour have been on hard court, though ...

TommyB.
08-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Muller is dangerous, he beat good guys in the past. I don't know what happened with him lately. Tommy should beat him but like el tenista said...he must raise his level. ;)

08-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Well Richie wasn't as "gone" as I wanted him to be for this Match. But in the end he did go away :D I like Richie, but Tommy he isn't! So Auf geht's to Tommy in Rd 2 :)

TennisFan2012
08-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the scores! A fantastic result for our boy! Now, Tommy, get plenty of rest and good food and be ready to go in the next round!

thefly
08-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Now there's really a good possiblity to reach the last 16. I bet he would meet Tipsarevic in the 3rd round; Almagro is the highest seed in this section, but he pretty much got all his points on clay.
And then ... well, absolutely perfect would be a quarterfinal against Roger. That's my dream run right now, what I would call a great success.
But as always, first things first. All I'm saying is, the biggest obstacle of the first rounds is out of the way, and that's pretty cool ...

TennisFan2012
08-26-2008, 10:07 PM
PS if you have an internet connection on your phone but your phone can't use Flash player (which is usually required to see livescores), the US Open site gives you a chance to select scores in HTML rather than Flash. I found this out just a short time ago.

Jogy
08-26-2008, 11:00 PM
VERY good from Tommy this match! :banana: :woohoo:

Good serve, good fight to come for the win from 1-2 sets! :worship:

Tommy fan
08-27-2008, 07:05 AM
Omg!!!!!! :bounce: :D
(what a delay but whatever..)

I'm so prouod of Tommy!
He kept his berves through out this match and didn't fell apart (which I expected him to after he lost the 1st set after having set points or losing the 3rd with a DF.)
Until the 5th set it was really really good match, both of them played well, and with those two players, it was pleasure to watch. in the 5th Gasquet fell apart after he got broken to *2-1 after leading 40-0 in the game but Tommy came back :)

Best of luck in round 2 Tommy!!! :)

thefly
08-27-2008, 11:06 AM
That's the spirit ...

http://www.sport1.de/media/_redaktion/sportarten/tennis/grandslams/usopen08/haas-faust-5x2_AufmacherTeaser.jpg

All the things I read today of what Tommy had to say sounds exremely positive, he seems to feel comfortable and to enjoy the tournament big time again. I'm also glad that Hogstedt is behind him again just in time.

I don't know. I think there is no way he will go out against a Gilles Muller in the second round. Just ain't gonna happen, no matter how bad Tommy plays, or how well Muller.

My two cents. ;)

thefly
08-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Btw, today there are also just men singles 1st rounds happening, so Tommy might not play again until Friday. Not too bad, I guess two days off would do him good after this five-setter. In that case, his third round would be scheduled on sunday ...

Tommy fan
08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Btw, today there are also just men singles 1st rounds happening, so Tommy might not play again until Friday. Not too bad, I guess two days off would do him good after this five-setter. In that case, his third round would be scheduled on sunday ...
I really hope Tommy can have some rest and play on Friday.

That's the spirit ...

http://www.sport1.de/media/_redaktion/sportarten/tennis/grandslams/usopen08/haas-faust-5x2_AufmacherTeaser.jpg

:rocker2:

TennisFan2012
08-27-2008, 01:37 PM
There is a chance of rain showers in the NY forecast for Friday morning. If that happens, he might get even more rest. But I think it would be better if he could play on Friday, since if he were to win his next round match and continue playing, with a rain delay, the third round might follow very quickly after the 2nd round.

el tenista
08-27-2008, 02:15 PM

Would be great :) Because Saturday will be the only day during the 2 weeks where I can't watch the US Open on TV...So I hope for a win on Friday and Sunday :cool::worship:

thefly
08-27-2008, 04:59 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the commentator on the German ES just said that Tommy will play tomorrow. Thinking about that again, it makes sence, since at least today's winners will be scheduled on Friday, while the ones having played on monday will certainly play tomorrow. Don't know about the guys that played yesterday, though. Maybe one half tomorrow, the other one on Friday? In that case it would be a little bad luck for Tommy. They should respect that guys like hm and Safin could use the extra day off more than others ...

el tenista
08-27-2008, 06:44 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the commentator on the German ES just said that Tommy will play tomorrow. Thinking about that again, it makes sence, since at least today's winners will be scheduled on Friday, while the ones having played on monday will certainly play tomorrow. Don't know about the guys that played yesterday, though. Maybe one half tomorrow, the other one on Friday? In that case it would be a little bad luck for Tommy. They should respect that guys like hm and Safin could use the extra day off more than others ...

I guess it would be okay for Tommy. I had the impression that he dealed very well with the difficult humidity although they played 3 1/2 hours so it should be no problem...apart from that Tommy will win in 3 sets so now way for Muller to exhaust Tommy that much ;)

thefly
08-27-2008, 08:02 PM
OOP for the stadium courts is out, no Tommy there. But I guess even though it's Tommy Haas, they won't put two unseeded players, one a qualifier, on one of the big courts. We'll see ...

Btw, my pick for the 3rd round, Tipsarevic, is out, he retired. Almagro won his first round, so now I'm pretty sure that he would be Tommy's opponent in a possible third round. He's top 20, but on this surface, if Tommy plays well, this one would be very winable ...
But once again I'm getting ahead of myself. Bring on Muller first!

TommyB.
08-27-2008, 09:07 PM
I think the top half of the draw will play tomorrow. That means Haas-Muller on friday...and I won't expect a big court this time. Hopefully a show court with tv cameras.

thefly
08-27-2008, 09:16 PM
I think the top half of the draw will play tomorrow. That means Haas-Muller on friday...and I won't expect a big court this time. Hopefully a show court with tv cameras.

Makes sense. :)
And I'm sure Tommy will play on a show court. At least I hope so; otherwise Tommy will be really pissed. And that's not good ... ;)

TommyB.
08-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Makes sense. :)
And I'm sure Tommy will play on a show court. At least I hope so; otherwise Tommy will be really pissed. And that's not good ... ;)

I guess he'll play on Court 11 or 13...Grandstand would be nice but I think there are some seeds + Americans left in the bottom draw...and don't forget the women. ;)

thefly
08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Alright, complete OOP says no Tommy tomorrow. Meaning acutally today. Because it's 2 a.m. - why the hell am I awake? Boy, these holidays really aren't good for me ... ;)

TennisFan2012
08-28-2008, 02:25 AM
OK, you Europeans, can't believe some of you are still awake! You need your beauty and health sleep so you will be ready on Friday to cheer on Tommy LOUDLY! Bonne nuit, buenas noches, and gute Nacht. Go Tommy.

08-28-2008, 11:59 AM
That is the one thing I don't like about Slams there are both women and men players and there are so many of them :eek:
Here I thought I had lost track and missed Tommy's 2nd Match and he hasn't even played it yet :rolleyes:

thefly
08-28-2008, 08:44 PM
So Tommy not on one of the big courts tomorrow. I have my money on court 13 as well. I hope that won't bother him too much. He already had the chance to take in some of the stadium atmosphere, and he hopefully knows there will be more of that in stock if he progresses ...

el tenista
08-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I just hope that he'll play on Court 11 or 13...You noticed Ferrer's match today? He played against Beck on Court 7 where no TV cameras were installed and not even statistics were available. Ferrer is the World No. 4, this was a shame...

thefly
08-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah. But even if he's on a show court ... seeing the poor coverage of the German matches today on ES, I'm afraid we won't see much of Tommy tomorrow in Europe. And I don't know about the streams. bwin has full coverage, but you need to have money deposited on your account. Maybe I'll throw in a couple of Euros tomorrow ...

TommyB.
08-28-2008, 11:24 PM
He'll play the first match on Court 11 ;)

thefly
08-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Nice. I think that's the biggest of the small courts, at least with the largest crowd capacity, isn't it? So at least there's the possibility of coverage. I think I'll go through with the bwin thing ...

Tommy fan
08-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Nice. I think that's the biggest of the small courts, at least with the largest crowd capacity, isn't it? So at least there's the possibility of coverage. I think I'll go through with the bwin thing ...

I'll cross my fingers for some last games covarage or something..
Yesterday ES showed quite few matches from the smaller courts, but yesterday's scedule was a bit poor, today is much more interesting...

Anyway, I'm glad out of the smaller courts Tommy was scheduled to play on court 11.

Come on Tommy!!!!!

Jelena
08-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Court 11 is a televised court. I'm quite sure that at least the Germans will get coverage of that match. (:secret: Unfortunately I doubt that there will coverage of Verdasco-Machado though, which would be interesting for me too. :angel:)

thefly
08-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Court 11 is a televised court. I'm quite sure that at least the Germans will get coverage of that match. (:secret: Unfortunately I doubt that there will coverage of Verdasco-Machado though, which would be interesting for me too. :angel:)

We Germans aren't really better off. Looks like there's no German window during the current coverage, so we're also bound to the international direction of Eurosport. And with all the action happening on the big courts, I don't have my hopes high for seeing a lot of Tommy today on TV.

And that's why I'll check it out on bwin. ;)

Jelena
08-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Tommy is on Eurosport. ;)

el tenista
08-29-2008, 04:07 PM
No way for Muller to win even a set against Tommy today. Tommy is too solid and Muller makes too many UE's...Tommy in very straight sets I'll say.
6-2 4-2 at the moment

thefly
08-29-2008, 05:28 PM
The TB was unfortunate, this one call completely derailed Tommy. But now he just isn't focused anymore, lets Muller do what he wants. And I can't remember the last first serve that was in. If he doesn't get his crap together, he will lose this.

Come on, man!

supertommyhaas
08-29-2008, 05:28 PM
No way for Muller to win even a set against Tommy today. Tommy is too solid and Muller makes too many UE's...Tommy in very straight sets I'll say.
6-2 4-2 at the moment

You spoke to soon. Tommy :rolleyes:

Jelena
08-29-2008, 05:29 PM
6-2 4-2 at the moment
Well, because Mr Keothawong judged a ball different than Tommy saw it, Tommy got upset and lost the tb in 3rd set. Currently he's a break down in forth.

supertommyhaas
08-29-2008, 05:30 PM
If tommy loses to muller after leading by 2 sets he should retire.. what a joke

TennisFan2012
08-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Does anyone have TV coverage of this match (none in the U.S.)? It appears Tommy is giving away games with double faults, from the match statistics. What is wrong? Let's go, Tommy, shut this down!

TennisFan2012
08-29-2008, 05:42 PM
He got one break back! Good job, Tommy, now hold and break again!

TennisFan2012
08-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Attaboy, he held! One point at a time now... You can break him just like Falla...

TennisFan2012
08-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Darn, lost the fourth. Come on, Tommy. You can do it.

Wyna
08-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Umh...what's going on with Tommy?
I watched the first 2 sets than I went for dinner I just came back and he's still playing...I was sure he would win in 3.

btw, does anybody else has problems with mtf today? The pages aren't really loading for me...

TennisFan2012
08-29-2008, 06:22 PM
I can't believe he just was broken in the fifth. We have some TV coverage now. Good passing shot by Tommy. He doesn't look as if he is ailing.

TennisFan2012
08-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Serve looked out, called good, no challenge available. Damn. Tommy lost the final point.

Leen.
08-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Oh dear. He lost. The score was 62 62 55 when I left to play tennis. On my way home, I was joking with my dad that he is in the 5th now. And he lost! WTF?!

tt boy
08-29-2008, 06:47 PM
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg133/ertyrwryw/monsters-inc71.gif

thefly
08-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Can't really express my disappointment properly. This wound is deep, and I'm sure for Tommy no less.
Tommy looked so good out there. Even when Muller started to play better in the second, Tommy always pushed it up a notch and gave the right answers. Yet, it almost seemed Tommy got a little lulled by the fact how easy everything went ... and then - we have to aknowledge that - Muller started more and more to play really well. Especially his serve. I mean, boy, 36 aces!? Ridiculous! That of course made it pretty tough for Tommy to to get back in, he couldn't regain his confidence after the third.
So on one hand, kudos to Muller, he did pretty well in the end. I'm sure he's never played even half as good in the last 12 month. But Tommy let him. He should have sealed it in the third, considering all the break points he didn't convert.

Well. This will be hard to forget. He will fall deep in the ranking now. He should do everything to get that behind him, and start working with Hogstedt again, preparing for the rest of the year. Good luck on that ...

TommyB.
08-29-2008, 09:13 PM
What a choke. :o I left my house at 6-2 6-2 3-3 and was sure that he won't lose this one. :sad: Unbelievable stuff Tommy. :rolleyes:

08-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Tommy :sad: He couldn't even make it to the QFs like he said he wanted to do :crying2:

Tommy fan
08-30-2008, 06:45 AM
6-2 4-2 at the moment
:sad: :sad:

btw, does anybody else has problems with mtf today? The pages aren't really loading for me...
yeah there were problems with MTF and TF, but seems to be fine now
Oh dear. He lost. The score was 62 62 55 when I left to play tennis. On my way home, I was joking with my dad that he is in the 5th now. And he lost! WTF?!

I left at the same stage, I had a feeling we'll have a 4th set, but in my worst dreams I would imagine he'd lose this match against this player and from this position :sad: :sad:
Did anyone see the last 2 sets? what's happened there? I know he took a medical time out after the 4th set, I hope it's not sirious.
Anyway, I didn't see the end, but I think Tommy can blame only himself in this loss by letting Muller get into it. He (Tommy) played very good in the sets he won, playing steady and not letting him to get into the match. in the 3rd set he had few bps at 2 all or 3 all. and after that, in 3*:4, he hits a df in a break point..

I'm really sad by this loss, I thought that if he'd beat Gasquet then he's journy here wouldn't be so short.

Btw, anyone knows what will his new rank will be? :scared: :scared:
Best of luck in the indoor season Tommy :hug: :hug:

Jelena
08-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Well in third set tb there was a call on the long line far of umpire. Tommy saw the ball out, which would have meant point for him, ref couldn't overrule. Tommy got upset, started a neverending discussion and lost the tb. And after that Muller started to serve Karlovic like, at the end of the match he had served 35 or 36 aces. Tommy went crazy and resignated because he didn't get a chance to get into Muller's service games. Bastold came because of pain in the right arm. It wasn't the shoulder, it was the whole arm that was treated. Maybe Tommy felt only a kind of tireness.

Tommy will go down (according to Judio's thread) to 57 at least, but there are still players behind him who can pass him.

Tommy fan
08-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Tommy will go down (according to Judio's thread) to 57 at least, but there are still players behind him who can pass him.

Holly shit.. :sad:
He has to have some turnaround in the indoor season, otherwise...
Will he be able to get in to Paris and Mdrid MS MD?

TommyB.
08-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Holly shit.. :sad:
He has to have some turnaround in the indoor season, otherwise...
Will he be able to get in to Paris and Mdrid MS MD?

He shoud get a direct entry for Madrid, but Paris sounds impossible. :sad:

thefly
08-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Well, I've seen the whole match, and although Tommy had obviously problems, especially on his serve, and may not have felt entirely comfortable, I have to say again that Muller vastly improved and really played well, hardly making any UE's anymore. And of course his serve became invincible, which was Tommy's death sentence.
So, it was not all Tommy's fault. But yes, he should have done it in three. He himself stated that he thought he culdn't lose this one anymore. Maybe part of the problem in the end.
I hope now his talk about retirement or even another operation is only a result of his bitter disappointment right now. I really hope he doesn't lose his confidence all together now, and goes for it again after the short break. I don't worry too much about the entry in the upcoming tournaments; I'm sure he'll get wildcarts in case he can't enter directly.
Let's hope for some good results, and then a fresh start next year. Now's the time for Hogstedt to kick in ...

Wyna
08-30-2008, 06:42 PM
This is so disappointing. I haven't seen the middle of the match but Tommy should have won this match,no matter if Muller was able to raise his level. Of course, he served great, but still Tommy had breakpoints but he couldn't convert them.

I just hope that he can somehow find new optimism he needs to get through the rest of the year.

thefly
08-30-2008, 08:35 PM
There's a lot of talk right now in the German press about his health. Supposedly his shoudler/arm was a big problem again, even another operation is considered. Overall, his words after the match were pretty bleak, he has to think about what's happening next, if there's still a point to go for it, all that stuff. It's weird, just before this match, everything seemed to be fine. I hope it's all bull****.

TommyB.
08-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Well, I think it depends on his motivation and physical shape. It seems he can't play consistent on a high level anymore. :sad: But he showed that he's still able to compete with the top players. Let's see what happens the rest of the year. I hope he won't retire...but I could understand it.

thefly
08-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Well, of course we don't know what's really going on with Tommy's health. But I really hope he gives himself a little more time. He has to be realistic: he now played continuously since Halle - and suddenly the big success is already supposed to return again? Sure, we all hoped it would, but to be honest, it is not a shame that it didn't just yet. There's still a lot work to do for Tommy, a lot room to improve ... if his body lets him.
So please, Tommy - give yourseld a break here! You can't just hope that miracles happen.

Tommy fan
08-31-2008, 07:33 PM
If it's any comfort, Muller had another comeback from 0-2 down against Almagro..

Lugburz
08-31-2008, 07:51 PM
If it's any comfort, Muller had another comeback from 0-2 down against Almagro..

Hm,maybe it is,but once again Tommy let his frustration to beat him :rolleyes:
But it's not the end of the world he played very well.That match against Gasquet is ''must have'' ;)
Hope for good start of the next year ! but again I would like to see him once again this year :rolleyes:

Jogy
08-31-2008, 11:17 PM
:sad: sad thing, Tommy owned Muller hard and then his power in the shoulder went down more and more

could hardly serve so fast anymore and had low power in the shots

I would have hope that it gets better if he waits some time, but maybe he just can't play the longer matches anymore so good.

thefly
09-02-2008, 10:46 PM
What do you know, Muller also defeated Davy!
Weird. This guy had really NO result on HC this year, challengers aside. From our perspective, he really could have chosen a different moment to start playing extremely well. But at least it seems like he deserved that win against Tommy, and makes the best of it ...

TennisFan2012
09-03-2008, 12:43 AM
From our perspective, he really could have chosen a different moment to start playing extremely well.

LOL! Well-said.

I hope Tommy feels a bit better about his match with Muller now. This is really an amazing run by Muller. Congratulations to him. And great match, Roger F., against Andreev.

leng jai
09-03-2008, 01:13 PM
These matches don't mean much, Tommy should have taken the match in the third and he didn't.