Feedback/comments/questions to the updated GM Rules [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Feedback/comments/questions to the updated GM Rules

Neely
08-15-2008, 01:13 PM

Jelena
08-15-2008, 03:24 PM
I don't think I will need it, but "an accumulation of infraction may result in an automatic ban". Does that mean that an infraction point I got some months ago still counts into the accumulation to get an automatic ban? If so, then I'd suggest to delete infractions if someone was "clear" for an amount of time.

RagingLamb
08-15-2008, 03:53 PM
infractions expire after a certain amount of time

Don't see any infractions under your profile.

Jelena
08-15-2008, 04:00 PM
infractions expire after a certain amount of time

Don't see any infractions under your profile.
I didn't really ask it for myself. ;)

Lee
08-15-2008, 05:06 PM
I think if a poster has an infraction, it will show up in his/her profile and won't once it expired.

Denaon
08-15-2008, 06:35 PM
I should read it minutely but from what I've seen....it kinda sucks...
I will have an real opinion asap.

Meanwhile I need to find another place to call home :awww:

dkw
08-15-2008, 07:38 PM
(7) Do not start threads without substance or without anything worthy to discuss.

LOL! MTF is where people come to waste time and talk carp with other time wasters. Worthy discussion is the exception not the rule.

Stop getting ahead of yourselves. This is an internet forum, not the UN Security Council

RagingLamb
08-15-2008, 07:42 PM
(7) Do not start threads without substance or without anything worthy to discuss.

LOL! MTF is where people come to waste time and talk carp with other time wasters. Worthy discussion is the exception not the rule.

Stop getting ahead of yourselves. This is an internet forum, not the UN Security Council

these are GM rules. not MTF rules.

Neely
08-15-2008, 07:50 PM
I think if a poster has an infraction, it will show up in his/her profile and won't once it expired.
Maybe I'm having different settings, but expired infractions are also visable in the profile for me.

Somehow right of course, we never can prevent all crap from happening and this can't be the goal, especially posts in threads. But we will more likely than not fight against threads which are deemed to be trash, stupid, trolling, etc. With these examples given, I think we tried to make it pretty clear what threads fall into that category and usually lead to nothing. However, I can't give you a formula.

Neely
08-15-2008, 07:56 PM
I should read it minutely but from what I've seen....it kinda sucks...
I will have an real opinion asap.

Meanwhile I need to find another place to call home :awww:
Let us know your opinion and suggestions for improvement. If you have a good recipe for a good balance between fun, seriousness and worthy behaviour of posters, then let us know. (Unless you think that everything should be allowed and that the board or section shouldn't be moderated at all ;) )

Alex999
08-18-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm happy with this. I can only hope you will enforce the new rules.

TMJordan
08-19-2008, 03:40 AM
I think you need some new moderators, not new rules :)

adee-gee
08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Do the new rules count for GlennMirnyi? :scratch:

Jogy
08-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Hard to do it.

Some things should be forbidden always, but when a fool like PeaBrain, GlennMirnyi or JMPower say stupid things, I want to say stupid things back and insult them back.

Deboogle!.
08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Hard to do it.

Some things should be forbidden always, but when a fool like PeaBrain, GlennMirnyi or JMPower say stupid things, I want to say stupid things back and insult them back.Or you could just take the high road and report the posts and they will face the consequences for their posts but you won't risk anything for yourself :lol:

Denaon
08-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Let us know your opinion and suggestions for improvement. If you have a good recipe for a good balance between fun, seriousness and worthy behaviour of posters, then let us know. (Unless you think that everything should be allowed and that the board or section shouldn't be moderated at all ;) )

I haven't read it all yet...but as soon as I have a better idea, I'll let you know...and if I disagree with this one...I'll let you know too...;)

Manon
09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
I have a Q. but story before - month or two ago there was a situation between two posters about putting someone elses post in signature. I've asked in that time one of the admins and he/she told me 'ONLY WITH PERMITION OF ORIGINAL POSTER'. In 'Scoobs/MTF new rulz I couldn't find this.

As a journalist I know very well what is intelectual property (internet included in laws), I think it must be one of rules but I ask - is it alllowed now?

l_mac
09-08-2008, 02:49 PM
I have a Q. but story before - month or two ago there was a situation between two posters about putting someone elses post in signature. I've asked in that time one of the admins and he/she told me 'ONLY WITH PERMITION OF ORIGINAL POSTER'. In 'Scoobs/MTF new rulz I couldn't find this.

As a journalist I know very well what is intelectual property (internet included in laws), I think it must be one of rules but I ask - is it alllowed now?

Great question, Manon :worship: But the that would raise the question of having the quote facility at all. Must we ask permission to quote any post, at any time? :confused: Surely as long as the text of what the person said remains exactly as they wrote, there shouldn't be a problem. If people post something that they are ashamed or embarrassed by on a public form, maybe they should think twice before hitting the submit key :hug: :hug:

I have another. If someone is slandering you in a post, is it allowed? :confused: For example, if someone decrees that you would be capable of murder, or claims that you have teeth in your vagina ... is taht grounds for sanctions? :confused:

Let me know :hug: :hug:

Manon
09-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Believe it or not these two posters from two months ago have nothing to do with you or me...just simple question.

Take care.

l_mac
09-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Believe it or not these two posters from two months ago have nothing to do with you or me...just simple question.

Take care.

I know exactly what you were talking about :hug:

Take care of you :kiss:

Deboogle!.
09-08-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't recall anyone getting in trouble for innocently quoting someone else in their sig. I think if you post something on MTF, you can expect that anyone might repost or repeat it here - or somewhere else for that matter. Like you said Linda, the quote function would be useless, so I think it should be OK to quote people in your sig as long as it is accurate. There have been a few situations where people "quote a post" but change it around, edit it severely, or do something else to personally attack another poster, and that is not allowed.

I think it's not necessary to delve into the intellectual property aspects here, the admins have had issues from some picture agencies and in terms of videos, but as far as the IP of the posts people write here, I think we should mostly stay out of this unless it's something creative like someone posts a story or poem or something like that.

As far as defamation, I believe that'd fall under the category of insulting another poster, which isn't allowed in GM or anywhere else, so you (or whoever believes they are being insulted) should report the posts and let the appropriate moderators handle it and if you feel as though that doesn't fix the problem, you should PM the supermods and/or the mods of the section in question.

Manon
09-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Thank you Deboogle!. a lot.

Deboogle!.
09-09-2008, 09:56 PM
my pleasure. :)

TankingTheSet
10-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Which moderator moved the 'GOOCH' thread from GM to the Australian players forum? :retard:

This mod clearly shows a lack of ability to see the bigger picture -- it was a comic thread and the comedy was its essence, the fact that it was about Guccione was hardly relevant to its meaning. The 'King Hernandez' thread has had a similar function for a long time, and it was never moved, as had numerous other threads like the 'Pics Ferrer' thread and uncountable threads about Nadal etc.

A comic thread in GM like this one adds inmeasurably to the variety and enjoyment for people who follow GM.

In this particular case, I suspect a user ('RainerSexSlave') convinced a mod to move the thread because he didn't like the way a particular player he supports was portrayed in the thread (which he probably completely misunderstood).

Is it standard policy to remove threads from GM without due deliberation after a fan of player sends a PM to a mod because he doesn't like it?

l_mac
10-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Which moderator moved the 'GOOCH' thread from GM to the Australian players forum? :retard:

This mod clearly shows a lack of ability to see the bigger picture -- it was a comic thread and the comedy was its essence, the fact that it was about Guccione was hardly relevant to its meaning. The 'King Hernandez' thread has had a similar function for a long time, and it was never moved, as had numerous other threads like the 'Pics Ferrer' thread and uncountable threads about Nadal etc.

A comic thread in GM like this one adds inmeasurably to the variety and enjoyment for people who follow GM.

There was also talk about other players in that thread (Stepanek, Bogdanovic :tape:) so it could be argued that the thread was of general interest. And threads where people have a laugh and are nice to each other are few and far between on GM. Surely such conviviality is to be encouraged?

RagingLamb
10-06-2008, 09:28 PM
A decision was made a while ago by the admin to leave those threads (pics, etc) in GM, because they have been in GM for a very long time and were made before the new rules. so I can't do anything about those.

the gooch watch thread isn't a GM thread, and it was made only recently, so it was moved.

TankingTheSet
10-06-2008, 09:31 PM
A decision was made a while ago by the admin to leave those threads (pics, etc) in GM, because they have been in GM for a very long time and were made before the new rules. so I can't do anything about those.

the gooch watch thread isn't a GM thread, and it was made only recently, so it was moved.

Did you move it because RainerSexSlave complained about it to you personally?

RagingLamb
10-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Did you move it because RainerSexSlave complained about it?

no one reported the post if that's what you're asking. did RainerSexSlave complain about it somewhere else?

TankingTheSet
10-06-2008, 09:37 PM
no one reported the post if that's what you're asking. did RainerSexSlave complain about it somewhere else?

RainerSexSlave inadvertently posted a message with your name followed by a question mark in a second Gooch thread posted in GM after the first was deleted (presumably asking for you to remove it), clearly exposing him as being involved in the decision to remove the thread.

I think you are not being completely honest here.

RagingLamb
10-06-2008, 09:43 PM
RainerSexSlave inadvertently posted a message with your name followed by a question mark in a second Gooch thread posted in GM after the first was deleted (presumably asking for you to remove it), clearly exposing him as being involved in the decision to remove the thread.

I didn't see his post.

TankingTheSet
10-06-2008, 09:50 PM
I didn't see his post.

Whether you saw that particular post is not the point. The point is that that particular post strongly suggests that RainerSexSlave complained to you personally (probably by PM), before the first Gooch thread removed. I don't like the fact that you are not being forthright on this matter.

l_mac
10-06-2008, 09:57 PM
I don't understand why you're putting yourself in this position.

Now you'll surely have to move every player specific thread (made after the new rules) to their own forum.

Who is deciding what is of general interest? You?

TankingTheSet
10-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Here is post by RainerSexSlave in the second Gooch thread, which was posted only minutes after the first Gooch thread was removed and the second one started.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=7709234#post7709234

RagingLamb?

I think this establishes a strong suspicion that RainerSexSlave contacted RagingLamb before the removal of the first Gooch thread.

RagingLamb
10-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I think you are not being completely honest here.

I think this establishes a strong suspicion that RainerSexSlave contacted RagingLamb before the removal of the first Gooch thread.

Reported posts are sent to mods and admins via e-mail.

if you don't think I'm being honest, you can ask other mods/admin whether RainerSexSlave reported the post, or you can ask them to tell you whether he ever pm-ed me.

TMJordan
10-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Put the Gooch thread back now or move every thread about certin players to their respected forums.

It's that simple :retard:

adee-gee
10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
The GOOCH watch was on the verge of becoming an MTF classic. There was absolutely no reason to dismiss it to the Australian forum.

Which rule suggests it isn't allowed in GM anyway? :confused:

Clearly someone has made an error moving it, and all will be forgotten when it is moved back to its rightful place. In the meantime, there will be anarchy on MTF.

RagingLamb
10-06-2008, 10:18 PM
I don't understand why you're putting yourself in this position.

Now you'll surely have to move every player specific thread (made after the new rules) to their own forum.

Who is deciding what is of general interest? You?

As you know, I don't see every thread (I'm not logged in often enough to do that, nor could I afford to be), but when it comes to player specific threads the mods do have to decide whether they belong in GM or not.

Sometimes it's easy to decide, sometimes not so much.

adee-gee
10-06-2008, 10:21 PM
As you know, I don't see every thread (I'm not logged in often enough to do that, nor could I afford to be), but when it comes to player specific threads the mods do have to decide whether they belong in GM or not.

Look on the first page of GM. 75% of the threads are player specific threads. And none of them are even funny or interesting. At least the GOOCH thread had humour. Scandalous to remove that and none of the others.

l_mac
10-06-2008, 10:22 PM

I think maybe you should rethink this decision :shrug:

Have you sought the admins' opinions? I don't see what GM rule the thread was breaking.

TankingTheSet
10-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Reported posts are sent to mods and admins via e-mail.

if you don't think I'm being honest, you can ask other mods/admin whether RainerSexSlave reported the post, or you can ask them to tell you whether he ever pm-ed me.

Well, if you say so I have to presume there is no evidence of RainerSexSlave sending you a PM.

But the inadvertent post by RainerSexSlave strongly suggests that there was contact between you and him. How else could RainerSexSlave be aware of the fact that it was you who was removing the Gooch posts, and why would he post a message calling your name?

RagingLamb
10-06-2008, 10:28 PM
I think maybe you should rethink this decision :shrug:

Have you sought the admins' opinions? I don't see what GM rule the thread was breaking.

As far as contents, this thread wasn't a serious discussion of tennis. And I really don't care if it's brought back if it means that much to people.

But if you think having to move every player-related thread from GM if they're not of 'general interest' would be bad, think about what sort of precedent would be set by allowing non-serious or joke threads in GM.

Would you like to see a GOAT or "funny" thread about every struggling player in the top 100? And if someone decides to make one, and they point to this thread, what are we supposed to tell them?

You have to consider what this blurring of the lines does in the long run.

But like I said, if it means that much, by all means.

l_mac
10-06-2008, 10:30 PM
As far as contents, this thread wasn't a serious discussion of tennis. And I really don't care if it's brought back if it means that much to people.

But if you think having to move every player-related thread from GM if they're not of 'general interest'.

Think about what sort of precedent would be set by allowing non-serious or joke threads in GM.

Would you like to see a GOAT or "funny" thread about every struggling player in the top 100? And if someone decides to make one, and they point to this thread, what are we supposed to tell them?

You have to consider what this blurring of the lines does in the long run.

But like I said, if it means that much, by all means.

No-one would have said anything about the GOAT thread being closed or moved. Maybe Jordan.

Anyway, thanks. Moving it back is the best solution :yeah:

TMJordan
10-06-2008, 10:32 PM
I don't care about the GOAT thread, I was just trying to say he has beaten all top players. :shrug:

And therefore is better than the best!!!

RagingLamb
10-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Well, if you say so I have to presume there is no evidence of RainerSexSlave sending you a PM.

But the inadvertent post by RainerSexSlave strongly suggests that there was contact between you and him. How else could RainerSexSlave be aware of the fact that it was you who was removing the Gooch posts, and why would he post a message calling your name?

the thread that you linked (where Rainer made that comment) was removed before the Gooch watch thread was removed. So rainer could not have possibly known that I removed that thread when he made that post.

adee-gee
10-06-2008, 10:34 PM
The GOAT thread can go, that was just Jordan being silly ;)

The GOOCH watch must be brought back. For the sake of MTF it belongs in GM.

RagingLamb
10-06-2008, 10:34 PM
No-one would have said anything about the GOAT thread being closed or moved. Maybe Jordan.

Anyway, thanks. Moving it back is the best solution :yeah:

o.k. I'll ask one of the admin to do it.

l_mac
10-06-2008, 10:36 PM
o.k. I'll ask one of the admin to do it.

Thank you :)

fast_clay
10-06-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm and just gonna give the Mods the beneit of my intentions with the OP of that thread.

The OP Title would be changed, and, if you scroll through pages of the thread itself, you would notice this yourselves - though the name Gooch exists on the title, it is merely a conduit for a bit of a laugh on countless far fetched issues - though, now being moved, who could ever know how many... (?)

Instead of cluttering GM with a whole set of threads for each Chris Guccione result, i would ask that Mods see the sense behind us regulars with the same gripe, and, beyond that, the thread itself would be maintained to a certain degree and i am sure that is something worth considering before sterilising any arena of communication or, really, just a bit of fun. From a spectators viewpoint, MTF is kinda chewing off its own hand here.

Anyway... this post was for the benefit of the mods to give them a bit of a backround on the thread itself as I am sure humour is something that common in the 'General' population... no?

TankingTheSet
10-06-2008, 10:38 PM
:banana:

I'll stop complaining now. :angel:

fast_clay
10-06-2008, 10:43 PM
oh... did i just waste my time...?

RagingLamb
10-06-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm and just gonna give the Mods the beneit of my intentions with the OP of that thread.

The OP Title would be changed, and, if you scroll through pages of the thread itself, you would notice this yourselves - though the name Gooch exists on the title, it is merely a conduit for a bit of a laugh on countless far fetched issues - though, now being moved, who could ever know how many... (?)

Instead of cluttering GM with a whole set of threads for each Chris Guccione result, i would ask that Mods see the sense behind us regulars with the same gripe, and, beyond that, the thread itself would be maintained to a certain degree and i am sure that is something worth considering before sterilising any arena of communication or, really, just a bit of fun. From a spectators viewpoint, MTF is kinda chewing off its own hand here.

Anyway... this post was for the benefit of the mods to give them a bit of a backround on the thread itself as I am sure humour is something that common in the 'General' population... no?

My response to this would be the same as in post 42 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=7709548&postcount=42)

finishingmove
10-06-2008, 10:50 PM
"gooch watch" is totally ok for the title, no need to change it.

just put it back to GM.

:wavey:

fast_clay
10-06-2008, 10:54 PM
My response to this would be the same as in post 42 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=7709548&postcount=42)

Ok... I see your argument... and understand it...

... yet...

There was a deep purity inside the GOOCH WATCH thread- it was a serious discussion about the word mug... ;) It belonged in GM IMO...

finishingmove
10-06-2008, 10:56 PM
anything that attracts that many tennis fans is worthy of being in GM.

Snoo Foo
10-06-2008, 10:58 PM
As far as contents, this thread wasn't a serious discussion of tennis.

I have yet to see anything that matches this description anywhere on MTF.

l_mac
10-06-2008, 11:02 PM
I have yet to see anything that matches this description anywhere on MTF.

:speakles:

I hope GWH, stebs, Merton etc don't see this :awww:

fast_clay
10-06-2008, 11:17 PM
anything that attracts that many tennis fans is worthy of being in GM.

:lol: for sure... it brought out a few posters i'd never seen before... even some who had been signed up for ages yet hardly posted...

adee-gee
10-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks for putting it back in GM :yeah:

case
02-08-2009, 09:36 PM
since no one has posted here in eons and my thread was removed i guess i will post and complain.

i was called a douchebag over that harmless thread and now i have nothing to show for it. can one of you mods explain the reason my thread that tennis was for individual players disappeared? i could bring up endless threads of less value, many of which also were offensive that survived, but im too polite!

thanks

RagingLamb
02-09-2009, 07:03 PM
since no one has posted here in eons and my thread was removed i guess i will post and complain.

i was called a douchebag over that harmless thread and now i have nothing to show for it. can one of you mods explain the reason my thread that tennis was for individual players disappeared? i could bring up endless threads of less value, many of which also were offensive that survived, but im too polite!

thanks

The ATP may not be able to end the boring doubles matches perhaps the fans can.

I suggest tennis fans boycott doubles matches in protest to the following-

1. has beens (many of whom were has beens who never were to begin with) who are no longer able to play well enough to compete in a REAL tennis match

2. tennis by its very nature should be a game played by one individual against another

3. making fans wait for the doubles match to end and endure the torture of watching the scoreboard for that blessed ending to occur is cruel and unusual punishment

4. there are no good looking doubles players. pics ferrer might eventually play doubles but by that time his looks will have probably faded anyway
safin doesn't look that good anymore...

5. doubles its just bad tennis, perhaps even not really tennis at all

6. there are already way too many groupy sports

Your thread seemed more like a trolling thread than a serious/relevant discsussion, so it was removed.

case
02-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Your thread seemed more like a trolling thread than a serious/relevant discsussion, so it was removed.

a trolling thread? you have got to be kidding.
a serious discussion on MTF? considering your previous posts concerning the removal of threads due to them not being a serious discussion my guess is you have a "serious problem. tennis , like all sports is entertainment.

pics ferrer thread went on forever. as did is gasquet gay or funny photos?
do you actually spend any time reading on MTF?

RagingLamb
02-09-2009, 11:27 PM
a trolling thread? you have got to be kidding.

Yes, I'm well known for my sense of humor.

Anyhow, if you really want your thread back in GM, you can talk to the admin and convince them that your thread is relevant and should be brought back.

If they agree with you, it will reappear.

I hope it all works out.

Tankman
02-10-2009, 02:09 AM
:lol:

yes you are RL. yes you are.

so you did delete/move all those threads/posts then? :p

tnosugar
05-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Would it be possible to start threads from the beginning of a match and have posters comment on the proceedings. Would be interesting in 5 setters at Grand Slams... Maybe even have a separate category Live Games

Jelena
05-14-2009, 04:11 PM
There are the livescore threads for that.

n8
09-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I posted a thread today, it got removed and I don't know why.

I posted about outside influences (for example the crowd) affecting a match. I raised the topic because a napkin had just blown onto the court at an important moment in the Nadal/Gonzalez US Open Quarter-final. I asked if people could think of times this kind of thing had happened in other matches. I then gave an example where someone from the crowd yelled 'out' during a US Open match 6 years ago and how it potentially affected that match's outcome.

I have two questions. (1) Why was my thread removed? (2) The lights under my credits are now orange (instead of green). Is this because my thread was deemed inappropriate?

Jelena
09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
I posted a thread today, it got removed and I don't know why.

I posted about outside influences (for example the crowd) affecting a match. I raised the topic because a napkin had just blown onto the court at an important moment in the Nadal/Gonzalez US Open Quarter-final. I asked if people could think of times this kind of thing had happened in other matches. I then gave an example where someone from the crowd yelled 'out' during a US Open match 6 years ago and how it potentially affected that match's outcome.

I have two questions. (1) Why was my thread removed? (2) The lights under my credits are now orange (instead of green). Is this because my thread was deemed inappropriate?
No, it is because someone bad-repped you.

n8
09-12-2009, 12:20 PM
No, it is because someone bad-repped you.

Thanks for the explanation and for getting me back to the green lights :angel:(if that was you).

oranges
10-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Are there any rules about messages left in a rep or PMs? I'm pretty thick skinned for the most part, but sexual ones creep me out. If I was eager to read about someone's fantasies, I'd go to some porn chat, not a tennis forum.

Case in point

http://i34.tinypic.com/n2fql1.jpg

l_mac
10-02-2009, 05:29 PM
That's not particularly explicit, and certainly worse is said and allowed all over the site.

You report reps like you do regular posts.

btw, if you put a poster on ignore you their reps to you disappear. You are welcome :hug:

RagingLamb
10-02-2009, 08:00 PM
You can p.m. a mod about it. We can edit the rep, and warn or infract/ban the poster.

Edit: The message in the rep has been removed.

JolánGagó
10-03-2009, 05:43 PM
You can p.m. a mod about it. We can edit the rep, and warn or infract/ban the poster.

Edit: The message in the rep has been removed.

Is any of you going to reply to my PM? Thank you.