Nadal treats fans to practice session in Cincy last night. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal treats fans to practice session in Cincy last night.

myrt
07-29-2008, 05:17 AM
After Safin self-destructed and the Young/ Monfils match left the fans feeling robbed...Nadal stepped in to save the evening....he and Uncle Toni went through a practice drill on Center Court for a few hundred fans who wouldn't leave....For around an hour we got to see Nadal in a workout drill ...shot after shot.....the fans even applauded his winners. At the end Uncle Toni had Nadal sign balls and hit them up into the stands ...As I left Nadal was still signing autographs.What a grand gesture that reallly changed the mood on Center Court .

finishingmove
07-29-2008, 05:20 AM
thumbs up

Macbrother
07-29-2008, 05:22 AM
Rafael Nadal is a worthy champion.

Mimi
07-29-2008, 05:30 AM
yeah, rafa appreciates his fans a lot, always sign autographs for them :dance::bowdown:

mashamaniac
07-29-2008, 05:32 AM
That's why everyone loves rafa...

Lee
07-29-2008, 05:36 AM
Nadal saves the night :lol:

Turquoise
07-29-2008, 05:36 AM
Classy Nadal & Uncle Toni.

kisses
07-29-2008, 07:02 AM
:angel: :hearts:

bokehlicious
07-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Any player would have done the same, Rafa's no angel :shrug:

JimmyV
07-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Nadal and Federer are total class acts, it's nice to have them at the top.

JimmyV
07-29-2008, 07:05 AM
Any player would have done the same, Rafa's no angel :shrug:

Oh yea, tons of players would have an unscheduled hour long practice at 9:00 at night and then sign autographs for half an hour afterwards.

:worship::worship::worship:

Richardgm
07-29-2008, 07:08 AM
That's nice. Any vids of the rampage yet?

bokehlicious
07-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Oh yea, tons of players would have an unscheduled hour long practice at 9:00 at night and then sign autographs for half an hour afterwards.

:worship::worship::worship:

He certainly planned to practise anyway, that taking place on center court or on the roof of his hotel doesn't make that a difference to him :shrug:

Dougie
07-29-2008, 07:44 AM
He certainly planned to practise anyway, that taking place on center court or on the roof of his hotel doesn't make that a difference to him :shrug:

Obviously not, but it makes all the difference to the fans, that´s the point. I´ve never been a huge fan of Nadal, but he seems to be genuinely a nice guy and, as somebody said already, a worthy champion.

leng jai
07-29-2008, 07:45 AM
JMPower can't bear to give Nadull any credit for anything.

bad gambler
07-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Good job Rafa

Deivid23
07-29-2008, 07:54 AM

Behave, poor guy is going through a hard time :sad:

Mimi
07-29-2008, 07:59 AM
:haha:Behave, poor guy is going through a hard time :sad:

Mimi
07-29-2008, 08:01 AM
everything from nadal stinks for him, while everything roger touches turn to gold :shrug:

bokehlicious
07-29-2008, 08:01 AM

:lol: The guy has far enough fanboys/girls kissing his ass. He's a worthy champion, granted, no need to go over the top though, he has yet to turn water into wine... :shrug:

harrywang5
07-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Expected result.

adee-gee
07-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Ridiculous arrogance from Rafa, who is he to think that the fans wanted to see him? :rolleyes:

They wanted to see beautiful tennis :sad:

MariaV
07-29-2008, 09:06 AM
He's a worthy champion, granted, no need to go over the top though, he has yet to turn water into wine... :shrug:

A worthy champion? :eek: :eek: :eek: You must lack confidence just like Roger. But don't worry, it'll be all better next year with proper preparation and no mono. :hug: :hug: :bolt:

spriwi
07-29-2008, 09:19 AM
rafa :yeah:

Sebby
07-29-2008, 09:20 AM
*ass licking smiley* *jerking off smiley*

leng jai
07-29-2008, 09:38 AM
:lol: The guy has far enough fanboys/girls kissing his ass. He's a worthy champion, granted, no need to go over the top though, he has yet to turn water into wine... :shrug:

Its not like Federer didn't have his while he was dominating, I didn't see you complaining.

Mimi
07-29-2008, 09:41 AM
:lol::bowdown:Its not like Federer didn't have his while he was dominating, I didn't see you complaining.

bokehlicious
07-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Its not like Federer didn't have his while he was dominating, I didn't see you complaining.

Lots of guys were already taking care of the job... :shrug:

Basic Boy
07-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Nadal is classy guy, but also BORING.

Matt01
07-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Rafa :inlove:

Ridiculous arrogance from Rafa, who is he to think that the fans wanted to see him? :rolleyes:

They wanted to see beautiful tennis :sad:

:lol:

safinalium
07-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Nice to hear. Nadal :yeah:
In fact, not many tennis players would do this..

Sebby
07-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Poor Rafa was probably in a good mood. Kudos to him :yeah: cause he's living hard times, he did lose 5 tournament finals in a row, including RG + Wimbly :sad:

myrt
07-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Just a note for clarification...After the Monfils/Young match, Nadal switched from practice court #3 over to center court....we fans who were still in the stadium could very easily [ and justifiably] been asked to leave. Nadal seemed to be embarassed by the attention and I am sure would have loved to be left alone to concentrate on his work. This definitely was not an ego trip for him and I hope no one reads it as such. It was a wonderful hour for those of us who love tennis .

Damn
07-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Poor Rafa was probably in a good mood. Kudos to him :yeah: cause he's living hard times, he did lose 5 tournament finals in a row, including RG + Wimbly :sad:

Hard times, definitely. But not for Rafa.

Rafael Nadal: "the Ultimate Spartan Death Bringer Machine with a kind, humble, classy heart."

Sunset of Age
07-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Just a note for clarification...After the Monfils/Young match, Nadal switched from practice court #3 over to center court....we fans who were still in the stadium could very easily [ and justifiably] been asked to leave. Nadal seemed to be embarassed by the attention and I am sure would have loved to be left alone to concentrate on his work. This definitely was not an ego trip for him and I hope no one reads it as such. It was a wonderful hour for those of us who love tennis .

He already planned to be out training, that's clear (many players also train in the evening, that's nothing new). Nice of him to change courts to do so at center court, and of course, that he let all the fans who were still there stay and watch. An extra treat for the fans. Great gesture! :yeah:

rafa the best
07-29-2008, 12:27 PM
At least the fans got to see something good last night.

tennizen
07-29-2008, 12:30 PM
I think Nadal should be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize this year:D

Sebby
07-29-2008, 12:32 PM
He already planned to be out training, that's clear (many players also train in the evening, that's nothing new). Nice of him to change courts to do so at center court, and of course, that he let all the fans who were still there stay and watch. An extra treat for the fans. Great gesture! :yeah:

He could have called the US Army to fire them, but he didn't! :eek: what a gentleman :worship:

Sunset of Age
07-29-2008, 12:36 PM
He could have called the US Army to fire them, but he didn't! :eek: what a gentleman :worship:

Well... sometimes players DO ask the fans to leave when they want to go out training on a big court. And that's not all that strange - having them all around surely doesn't benefit one's concentration...
So, in fact, YES, it was a very nice gesture from Raf.

bokehlicious
07-29-2008, 12:41 PM

Affirmative.

There wouldn't be so many wars across the globe if all human beings were as sweet as Rafito :worship: :cool:

Sebby
07-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Well... sometimes players DO ask the fans to leave when they want to go out training on a big court.

It would have been way clever to ask the fans to leave. Yeah, instead of a "Nadal's ass licking thread", some fans would have posted an "Hating on Piggy thread". This guy really don't know how to deal with the media :rolleyes:

smitty8
07-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Damn! I left just as Monfils was about to cream the overrated Young.

myrt
07-29-2008, 01:59 PM
The point is the venue was closed. The last match had been played and Nadal switched over to practice on the court on which he will be playing .....expecting I'm sure that he would have privacy since the venue was closed.....except we wily fans would not leave....security could have moved us out but graciously we were allowed to stay . Uncle Toni could have asked security to enforce the venue rules but instead we received a treat.

wildegirl05
07-29-2008, 02:07 PM
The point is the venue was closed. The last match had been played and Nadal switched over to practice on the court on which he will be playing .....expecting I'm sure that he would have privacy since the venue was closed.....except we wily fans would not leave....security could have moved us out but graciously we were allowed to stay . Uncle Toni could have asked security to enforce the venue rules but instead we received a treat.

so basically rafa had a practice session with an audience? and he didn't throw them out? i can see why this deserves a thread on GM because rafa = :inlove:

bokehlicious
07-29-2008, 02:08 PM
so basically rafa had a practice session with an audience? and he didn't throw them out? i can see why this deserves a thread on GM because rafa = :inlove:

Definitely. This thread should be a sticker :cool:

Sebby
07-29-2008, 02:12 PM

sorry, I didn't see the irony in your post and thought you were another hysteric fangirl :-)

a lot of work today...

wildegirl05
07-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Definitely. This thread should be a sticker :cool:

:lol: maybe a bumper sticker :devil:

Rafa: playing with an audience since 2008. :drive:

kidding aside, it was nice the fans got to see him practice but maybe this could be moved to rafa's forum? just a suggestion :shrug:

Castafiore
07-29-2008, 02:17 PM
kidding aside, it was nice the fans got to see him practice but maybe this could be moved to rafa's forum? just a suggestion :shrug:
Probably not a bad idea, no.

The general rule seems to be:
- Positive & the more cute stories: to be posted in the player forum. :inlove:
- Negative stories & threads that could trigger a bashing session: GM. :rocker2:

Thanks, myrt. It's appreciated...by some. ;)

wildegirl05
07-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Probably not a bad idea, no.

The general rule seems to be:
- Positive & the more cute stories: to be posted in the player forum. :inlove:
- Negative stories & threads that could trigger a bashing session: GM. :rocker2:

Thanks, myrt. It's appreciated...by some. ;)

actually my rule of thumb here was if it was even a news story to begin with. because if we started to have threads for every player who practiced and let the fans watch, we'd be in for a real treat :inlove:

but if you can see the :yeah: in this story, more power to you :D

scoobs
07-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Nadal is love :)

wildegirl05
07-29-2008, 02:25 PM
sorry, I didn't see the irony in your post and thought you were another hysteric fangirl :-)

a lot of work today...

:lol: happens to the best of us, i'm sure ;)

FairWeatherFan
07-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Nadal is very nice to fans and a worthy ambassador of the game.

But I hope, if no one minds my mentioning, that he improves his English, especially as he is likely to become Number 1 soon. Tennis is a global sport, but English is still the first language of choice for the media. Nadal's improving his English will allow him to get across his nice personality to a greater number of fans. :)

Castafiore
07-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Ha, it's been moved. :)

actually my rule of thumb here was if it was even a news story to begin with. because if we started to have threads for every player who practiced and let the fans watch, we'd be in for a real treat :inlove:
Well, yes. Nothing really newsworthy in it but still a nice little story to read and [hema, cover your eyes please] it's a change from the bashing threads but it's best to post these things in the player forum anyway. Non-fans tend to get squeamish when reading positive comments about certain players.

wildegirl05
07-29-2008, 02:32 PM

Well, yes. Nothing really newsworthy in it but still a nice little story to read and [hema, cover your eyes please] it's a change from the bashing threads but it's best to post these things in the player forum anyway.

yes, scoobs :hatoff: on the speed of your responses to things.

i think it must have been really nice for the fans. personally i would think he moved to CC because that monfils match ended so quickly and it became available, rather than try to show the fans some good tennis. but it could just as easily be the organizers asking him to do so too. who knows in the world of PR/marketing? :shrug:

his practice sessions are usually so intense they might as well be a match anyways :lol:

Castafiore
07-29-2008, 02:38 PM
i think it must have been really nice for the fans. personally i would think he moved to CC because that monfils match ended so quickly and it became available, rather than try to show the fans some good tennis. but it could just as easily be the organizers asking him to do so too. who knows in the world of PR/marketing? :shrug:

his practice sessions are usually so intense they might as well be a match anyways :lol:
It's just a nice bonus for those who were there. Nothing more, nothing less. It could very well be at the request of the organizers, yes.

I certainly don't think that Rafa & Toni went: "the poor tennis fans on centre court had a shitty day, let's save the day." :lol:

In Monte Carlo, after his first doubles match which didn't last long, he stayed on centre court to practice with Robredo. Was nice to see as well.
Since top players have to play the majority of their matches on centre court, I do believe that they usually get the opportunity to practice on it at least once. Right? Mostly behind closed doors.

cinamoon
07-29-2008, 03:22 PM
oh please tell me you have a video or photos of this!:sad:

platinum
07-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Nadal is as beautiful on the inside as he is on the outside. :cool:

tennizen
07-29-2008, 03:33 PM

Well, yes. Nothing really newsworthy in it but still a nice little story to read and [hema, cover your eyes please] it's a change from the bashing threads but it's best to post these things in the player forum anyway. Non-fans tend to get squeamish when reading positive comments about certain players.

I like nice little stories of love, sweetness and positivity too:shrug: but only if they are about Djokovic:D

cmurray
07-29-2008, 03:46 PM
I like nice little stories of love, sweetness and positivity too:shrug: but only if they are about Djokovic:D

Nole...:inlove:

Metis
07-29-2008, 03:55 PM

:rolls:

wildegirl05
07-29-2008, 05:47 PM
It's just a nice bonus for those who were there. Nothing more, nothing less. It could very well be at the request of the organizers, yes.

I certainly don't think that Rafa & Toni went: "the poor tennis fans on centre court had a shitty day, let's save the day." :lol:

In Monte Carlo, after his first doubles match which didn't last long, he stayed on centre court to practice with Robredo. Was nice to see as well.
Since top players have to play the majority of their matches on centre court, I do believe that they usually get the opportunity to practice on it at least once. Right? Mostly behind closed doors.

that's a nice experience. i've seen him at USO but on armstrong once and in the outer courts. i didn't know they closed off CCs to fans. interesting. in any case, i've repeatedly heard how accessible the players are to the fans at cincy. definitely a plus for the tourney.

lara2.ribeiro
07-29-2008, 06:04 PM
talking about cincy? take a look at this nice interview http://tennistalk.com/en/blog/Dani_DeVine/20080729/The_Sinners,_The_Saints,_and_Sex_in_Cincy
GOSSIP! :tape::tape:

they even talk about our "best to work with" boy :angel::
Q: Which tour player is the easiest to work with?

A: Many of them are a pleasure to work with, like James Blake and Roger Federer. Andy Murray has always been low maintenance, despite his public persona. The best, in terms of sheer friendliness, and a total absence of that "I'm-a-huge-star," attitude, is Rafael Nadal. We all really like the guy, from the top tournament organizers, all the way down to the ballkids. No acting for the cameras with him; he is a genuine person. :inlove:

cmurray
07-29-2008, 10:45 PM
talking about cincy? take a look at this nice interview http://tennistalk.com/en/blog/Dani_DeVine/20080729/The_Sinners,_The_Saints,_and_Sex_in_Cincy
GOSSIP! :tape::tape:

they even talk about our "best to work with" boy :angel::
Q: Which tour player is the easiest to work with?

A: Many of them are a pleasure to work with, like James Blake and Roger Federer. Andy Murray has always been low maintenance, despite his public persona. The best, in terms of sheer friendliness, and a total absence of that "I'm-a-huge-star," attitude, is Rafael Nadal. We all really like the guy, from the top tournament organizers, all the way down to the ballkids. No acting for the cameras with him; he is a genuine person. :inlove:

The ballkids LOVE Rafa. He is very generous with his time for them.

lau-mza
07-30-2008, 01:38 AM
Nobody has pics of Rafa's night training? Please! :D:D

josie
07-30-2008, 02:23 AM
I don't have pics but here is a Video from this night training ;)

Nadal Practicing at almost midnight on Monday in Cincinnati
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KbV6nB66WzY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KbV6nB66WzY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

charliebrown
07-30-2008, 02:41 AM
Thanks josie :)

Mimi
07-30-2008, 02:58 AM
sometimes i think he is too nice, the fans and camera flashing are bothering him, selfish mimi would kick them all out :mad:

Millor
07-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Nadal is very nice to fans and a worthy ambassador of the game.

But I hope, if no one minds my mentioning, that he improves his English, especially as he is likely to become Number 1 soon. Tennis is a global sport, but English is still the first language of choice for the media. Nadal's improving his English will allow him to get across his nice personality to a greater number of fans. :)

Don't you think that his Spanish has improved? I think that it has come on in leaps and bounds over the last two years. His idiosynchratic way of speaking seems to endear him to people. He has never really been schooled in English because his sport came first, and right now, well I guess he doesn't have too much time to pick up the grammar books! It is a joy to read how well thought of he is wherever he goes because being nice is something that just comes naturally to him. Something else has been written about him recently, that I have noticed in every interview of his that I have seen. He always says "hello" at the start and never ends an interview without "thankyouverymuch". How many of the more fluent speakers of English do we know that do that?

cmurray
07-30-2008, 11:36 PM
thanks, Josie.

Did you take that video? I heard somebody talking about his shorts - it was the first thing I noticed - ahhh. Rafa has actually SHORTS on. Those thighs.... :inlove:

myrt
08-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Also of note....during his service practice...virtually no pants "plucking". Maybe this is just a nervous habit during match play or the capri's really do get to the guy.