the "Golden Kiwis For All!" 2008 Olympics thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

the "Golden Kiwis For All!" 2008 Olympics thread

knight_ley
07-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Any news?

Neely
07-29-2008, 01:04 AM
"Golden Kiwis For All" :haha: :haha:

haha :haha: you're the best at making funny thread titles, this one is the best since like two years! :rocker2:

Yappa
07-29-2008, 02:23 AM
I think he should be seeded, shouldn't he? Hoping for some decent tv coverage from the german "Öffentlich-Rechtliche". It's too bad that there'll be less german tv coverage from Beijing than from Athen's due to new regulations. Otherwise we would again have 3-4 ARD/ZDF Olympia channels with full live coverage.

knight_ley
07-29-2008, 02:54 AM
"Golden Kiwis For All" :haha: :haha:

haha :haha: you're the best at making funny thread titles, this one is the best since like two years! :rocker2:

:angel:

So far the news I've heard ( from someone very close to this thread :lol: ) is that Kiwi will be in both singles & doubles, and as of right now is paired with Kohlschreiber for doubles.

kiwi10is
08-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Schüttler is finally allowed to go to Beijing. The first textmessage he received was from Kiwi telling: Lets play doubles!! The decision who will play doubles will be made by Patrik Kühnen but Kohlschreiber has an injury and already postponed his flight to Beijing. I think Kühnen will choose the two fittest players which should be Kiwi and Rainer.

knight_ley
08-05-2008, 02:24 AM
:scared: This will bring back sad memories... :sad: Although maybe this time around they can convert some of their match points and get the gold. ;)

cobalt60
08-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Must interject here. Since Kiwi is known for peeing in public the title has a double entendre meaning. You all did that on purpose right? :sobbing:

knight_ley
08-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Must interject here. Since Kiwi is known for peeing in public the title has a double entendre meaning. You all did that on purpose right? :sobbing:

:haha: Since I made the title may I say yes? :haha: But sadly, it was not. Hopefully after the Olympics he'll have new reason to piss on buildings and yell at the police. :lol:

cobalt60
08-05-2008, 02:37 AM
:haha: Since I made the title may I say yes? :haha: But sadly, it was not. Hopefully after the Olympics he'll have new reason to piss on buildings and yell at the police. :lol:

;) Have a good night btw I must get me to bed....... Wouldn't it be a pissa :p to have a rematch of the doubles final :lol:

knight_ley
08-05-2008, 02:40 AM
;) Have a good night btw I must get me to bed....... Wouldn't it be a pissa :p to have a rematch of the doubles final :lol:

Only if it ends differently this time ;)

kiwi10is
08-05-2008, 03:38 PM
This time they will win all 6 matchpoints... one in every match :)

Yappa
08-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I'll probably regret saying this, but a singles bronze medal is not completely out of the question. :D

R1 - Mirnyi
R2 - Anderson
R3 - Davydenko/Gulbis
QF - Gonzalez/Ferrer
SF - Federer/Karlovic
Final - Nalbandian/Murray/Djokovic/Nadal

;)

Reaching the 3rd round is the minimum of what I expect.

The doubles draw is pretty terrible, with Knowle/Melzer in R1 and the Bryans in R2. I don't think that they'll be able to reach the 2nd round.

TommyB.
08-07-2008, 02:36 PM
It's nice to see Kiwi and Rainer again. :) Auf geht's Jungs!!

German media said he has a tough singles draw. But it's almost perfect imo.

knight_ley
08-07-2008, 02:37 PM
I'll probably regret saying this, but a singles bronze medal is not completely out of the question. :D
That was my exact thought when I saw the draw. :tape:

Neely
08-07-2008, 03:10 PM
German media said he has a tough singles draw. But it's almost perfect imo.
On a radio station (Antenne Bayern) they said today "Kohlschreiber, the best German tennis player, is missing due to an injury" :lol:

kiwi10is
08-07-2008, 03:22 PM
On a radio station (Antenne Bayern) they said today "Kohlschreiber, the best German tennis player, is missing due to an injury" :lol:

:devil::fiery::smash::boxing::armed:

Neely
08-07-2008, 03:23 PM
It's too bad that there'll be less german tv coverage from Beijing than from Athen's due to new regulations. Otherwise we would again have 3-4 ARD/ZDF Olympia channels with full live coverage.
I hardly remember the TV coverage situation back then exactly.

But checking the schedules for some days, it seems that EinsFestival, EinsPlus, ZDFDoku and ZDFTheaterkanal are showing live coverage each day. Plus you have the usual coverage on the main channel, either ARD or ZDF. That's not bad at all, I think.

It was really better back in Athens 2004?

Yappa
08-07-2008, 04:32 PM
IIIRC, 4 years ago those digital channels (called Athens 1-4 btw.) were showing Olympic sports for all 24 hrs and not only max. 8-12 hrs. So way more time for live and tape delayed coverage.

Neely
08-07-2008, 06:22 PM
wow, really don't remember that anymore that there was 24h live and tape delayed coverage. But thanks for info :rocker:

Yappa
08-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Now that I think about it, I don't think it was 24hrs on all channels, but still a lot more hours of coverage, that's for sure. They would have done the same this year, but the new "Rundfunkstaatsvertrag" doesn't allow it anymore. Blame the private channels (RTL and others) who complained about the extensive Olympic Games coverage of the "Öffentlich-Rechtliche". Such whiners. :(

Thankfully, there are a lot of live streams, for example the official EBU streams.
http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/olympics/

knight_ley
08-08-2008, 08:45 PM
I hardly remember the TV coverage situation back then exactly.

Your sig! :worship:

Yappa
08-08-2008, 11:13 PM
We could see both Kiefer and Schuettler at today's opening ceremony. They were even mentioned on german TV. :eek: ;)

knight_ley
08-08-2008, 11:16 PM
We could see both Kiefer and Schuettler at today's opening ceremony. They were even mentioned on german TV. :eek: ;)

:eek: Hopefully they get some air time on the US coverage of it tonight! Has anyone found any pictures? I've seen pictures of just about everyone except, of course, Kiwi & James Blake. :lol: The two I want to see pictures of. :banghead:

Yappa
08-09-2008, 12:12 AM
So it's true that the american tv didn't offer any live coverage of the opening ceremony? What the heck?! Probably to show commercials. :D And then they might not even show all of it?
Well I hope for you that you'll get to see them. If not, I'll see if I can up a video, though my recording has probably plenty of artifacts, since my old receiver can't handle high bitrates. Fortunately, the channels which are showing tennis have lower bitrates than the big channels ARD and ZDF. Neely, I am counting on you, in case those two are showing any tennis. ;)

knight_ley
08-09-2008, 12:18 AM
So it's true that the american tv didn't offer any live coverage of the opening ceremony? What the heck?! Probably to show commercials. :D And then they might not even show all of it?
Well I hope for you that you'll get to see them. If not, I'll see if I can up a video, though my recording has probably plenty of artifacts, since my old receiver can't handle high bitrates. Fortunately, the channels which are showing tennis have lower bitrates than the big channels ARD and ZDF. Neely, I am counting on you, in case those two are showing any tennis. ;)

I think they're not showing them live moreso for the fact that no one would watch them if they were on live. This way they start in prime time and everyone can watch. They always do them primetime here in the States. I'm thinking more for the viewership (therefore, for the commericals) than... I proved your point. The end! :haha:

Yappa
08-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Here in Germany they were showing it live and right now they're showing it again tape delayed, though not all of it, but almost. So yeah, the american TV should have shown it, regardless of the time.

Neely
08-09-2008, 03:34 AM
I saw Kiwi while marching in and later in the crowd, if I remember it correctly. He seemed to enjoy it very much and was smiling.

But I must have missed Rainer.

Also Nadal, Federer, Murray were shown several times.

knight_ley
08-09-2008, 04:18 AM
I saw Kiwi while marching in and later in the crowd, if I remember it correctly. He seemed to enjoy it very much and was smiling.

THEY SHOWED KIWI ON USA TV!!!!!!! :woohoo: Didn't say anthing about him, obv, but we all screamed. :lol:

Here they didn't show Spain, they showed Rafa for about five minutes, discussing the Wimbledon final. :lol:

We also got shots of Federer, Gonzo, Robredo, Ferrer, Ivanovic & Djokovic. That's all I noticed.

As far as the USA goes, we got Davenport & the Bryans brothers walking in and then James Blake :inlove: for a while on the infield chatting with other athletes. And I must say, he looked very good in that Ralph Lauren outfit. ;)

I can't believe they showed Kiwi. I'm so excited right now and it was like 4 seconds of him. :haha:

HoistDaColors
08-09-2008, 09:48 AM
is that him on the right? i can't tell.
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm19/HoistDaColors/82218309.jpg

someone please upload a picture of kiwi in that gray suit. :)

kiwi10is
08-09-2008, 10:47 AM

Rainer was walking left behind Kiwi ;) when Kiwi saw himself on the tv screen he turned around and looked at Rainer

Neely
08-09-2008, 01:46 PM
THEY SHOWED KIWI ON USA TV!!!!!!! :woohoo: Didn't say anthing about him, obv, but we all screamed. :lol:
They probably didn't even know who he is, unless the commentator who did the ceremony also have knowledge about tennis players that are not so famous :p

As far as the USA goes, we got Davenport & the Bryans brothers walking in and then James Blake :inlove: for a while on the infield chatting with other athletes. And I must say, he looked very good in that Ralph Lauren outfit. ;)
Not really hard to imagine! As for the German team, I think they could have done better in their outfit, I found especially the women's a bit "lame" and not really good.

is that him on the right? i can't tell.
Yes, that's really him if you're asking me. On this picture it looks like he was so much in the front! At first, I didn't think that was the case, or is the picutre just misleading?

someone please upload a picture of kiwi in that gray suit. :)
I can check my recording and hopefully can find a decent screenshot of him. But I don't think they showed a full body shot of him.

Rainer was walking left behind Kiwi ;) when Kiwi saw himself on the tv screen he turned around and looked at Rainer
thanks, really didn't notice that at first :yeah:

Yappa
08-09-2008, 04:31 PM
There was an interview with Kiefer on thursday's "Olympia Extra" (ARD) which they showed again last night. Unfortunately, I only saw the last few secs of it, so I couldn't record it.

knight_ley
08-09-2008, 09:29 PM
They probably didn't even know who he is, unless the commentator who did the ceremony also have knowledge about tennis players that are not so famous :p

Not really hard to imagine!

Yes, one commentator does NBA & the other hosts the Today Show. Neither of which would know Kiwi if he walked up to them and slapped them. :lol:

Oh, you don't have to tell me! :inlove: ;)

Thanks for the picture! :woohoo:

HoistDaColors
08-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Yes, that's really him if you're asking me. On this picture it looks like he was so much in the front! At first, I didn't think that was the case, or is the picutre just misleading?

I think he's really up front of the pack (look at the left of the picture). thank god he stood so close to Dirk or else we won't get to see him in that mob of gray.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm19/HoistDaColors/82217408-1.jpg

Neely
08-11-2008, 12:17 AM
From the gamewatch:
6.54pm: Ok, that's it. All play has been cancelled for today. It's been an interesting one and we're back for more tommorrow. See you then.

LOL of course it was interesting if there was only a few hours of play and the rest heavy rain :cuckoo:

But hey, at least Kiwi leads 6-3 against Mirnyi :yeah: I hope he can continue like that.

Neely
08-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Kiwi def. Mirnyi 6-3 6-1 :banana:

I listened to an audio comment on peking.ard.de and he said that he served well, but returned badly yesterday - and that he served badly and returned well today.

match stats:
http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/TE/C73A/TEM001612.shtml#TEM001612

Yappa
08-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Easy. :)
Anderson next.

Neely
08-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Kiwi's match and the doubles again on outside courts, so no chance for TV coverage on any of the channels.

Yappa
08-12-2008, 01:54 AM
You're right about the singles match, but there might be cameras for the doubles match.
According to an ORF viewer, two days ago, when the doubles match was initially supposed to take place on that court, there was a ticker reporting that ORF would show the Germany-Austria doubles match. So it's possible that they intend(ed) to place some cameras (Belgian and Czech TV already did that yesteday). Of course that doesn't help us if ARD/ZDF don't have access to said cameras and/or are not willing to go the extra mile to show the match. If not, then we'll probably get Schuettler-Djokovic from tape.
It's possible that it'll even start with the beginning of the afternoon broadcast slot (3:30-6 pm on ZDFdoku).
Well, wait and see.

btw. if you already listened to the german commentator, then you noticed that he's a :retard:

Glinda
08-12-2008, 08:29 AM
irk, 3rd set against Anderson... I'm scared :sad:

Neely
08-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Kiwi a bit more difficult against Anderson than most uf expected it to be, right?
But it seems he gave a good fight, way about three hours match :yeah:

On teletext they wrote that he had to call the trainer twice due to the heat.

You're right about the singles match, but there might be cameras for the doubles match.
According to an ORF viewer, two days ago, when the doubles match was initially supposed to take place on that court, there was a ticker reporting that ORF would show the Germany-Austria doubles match. So it's possible that they intend(ed) to place some cameras (Belgian and Czech TV already did that yesteday). Of course that doesn't help us if ARD/ZDF don't have access to said cameras and/or are not willing to go the extra mile to show the match. If not, then we'll probably get Schuettler-Djokovic from tape.
It's possible that it'll even start with the beginning of the afternoon broadcast slot (3:30-6 pm on ZDFdoku).
Well, wait and see.
Thanks, didn't know about it!

btw. if you already listened to the german commentator, then you noticed that he's a :retard:
Yes, if you listen to such guys, then you realize how good most, if not all of the Eurosport commentators are!

Yappa
08-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Took him way too long. :(

Oh, and about the doubles match:
ORF used own cameras for the Melzer and Bammer singles matches, but not for the doubles match (possibly because they simply don't have enough cameras). Well, german TV probably wouldn't have showed it anyways, even if ORF had offered them the live feed for free. :rolleyes:

kiwi10is
08-12-2008, 03:46 PM
On teletext they wrote that he had to call the trainer twice due to the heat.

not only because of heat but also because of strong pain in his hip :eek::eek::eek:

http://www.netzeitung.de/sport/olympia2008/1122437.html

Please no new injury

Neely
08-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Rainer/Kiwi lost their doubles match 7-6(3) 3-6 1-6 to Knowles/Melzer :sobbing:

One dream for a medal is over, I hope he can keep the other chance in singles alive and that the injury isn't too bad :unsure: But the article and his comments don't sound too good at all.

Yappa
08-12-2008, 04:28 PM
True, and I wouldn't be surprised if PHM got a walkover.

In any case, we wouldn't be able to see that match, anyways, since they're supposed to play on Court 3. And even if they did play on a Showcourt, we would still need to rely on a livestream, due to the german TV not planning to show any tennis tomorrow. :rolleyes:

kiwi10is
08-12-2008, 04:50 PM
True, and I wouldn't be surprised if PHM got a walkover.

In any case, we wouldn't be able to see that match, anyways, since they're supposed to play on Court 3. And even if they did play on a Showcourt, we would still need to rely on a livestream, due to the german TV not planning to show any tennis tomorrow. :rolleyes:

ZDF doku is at least showing a repeat from Rainer Schüttler....

Yappa
08-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Yes, as planned, they showed the Shaker match, and the ZDF commentator at least isn't as devoid of emotions as his ARD counter part. According him though, Djokovic not only won the Aussie Open, he's also the current US Open title holder. :lol: So yeah, after all, he does suck too. :D

Gotta love our ÖR reporters. :yeah:

Neely
08-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Olympic dream is over for Kiwi :sobbing:

At least he tried to fight.

Now for the future, I hope his hip injury goes away soon and that it doesn't prevent him from playing a successful end of the season.

Neely
08-13-2008, 11:19 PM
BTW, who of the Germans watched beach volleyball today late afternoon/evening?

In the set break of Rau/Pohl against the Dutch team they showed a crowd of German fans and the commentators wondered "Could you spot Nicolas Kiefer and Rainer Schüttler among them? Maybe they stopped by as they're both living right next-door to Stephi Pohl und Okka Rau in the Olympic village." He mentioned that the two women told him that Kiwi and Rainer were first rather shy, but that "now the door is open all the time for them to come by for a cup of coffee"

:lol:

knight_ley
08-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Hip injury? I just got home from Legg Mason and find out Kiwi lost AND is injured? :confused: Oh no... :sad:

Neely
08-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Hip injury? I just got home from Legg Mason and find out Kiwi lost AND is injured? :confused: Oh no... :sad:
I have no real idea how bad it really is, let's see...

kiwi10is
08-14-2008, 08:23 PM
he said he felt it all week long already and it got worse during the Anderson match. But since he is staying in Beijing for a few more days he will get treatment from Klaus Eder and he is the best physio in Germany