Rocking Cincy - Come on Tommy!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rocking Cincy - Come on Tommy!!!

el tenista
07-25-2008, 10:34 AM
The main draw will be published today at 4.30 p.m. Cincy time. What's the timeshift to the Central European Time? 6 or 7 hours?

Here's the Entry List:

1 Federer, Roger SUI 1
2 Nadal, Rafael ESP 2
3 Djokovic, Novak SRB 3
4 Davydenko, Nikolay RUS 4
5 Ferrer, David ESP 5
6 Roddick, Andy USA 6
7 Nalbandian, David ARG 7
8 Blake, James USA 8
9 Gasquet, Richard FRA 9
10 Wawrinka, Stanislas SUI 10
11 Murray, Andy GBR 11
OUT Almagro, Nicolas ESP 12
OUT Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried FRA 13
14 Gonzalez, Fernando CHI 14
15 Stepanek, Radek CZE 15
16 Mathieu, Paul-Henri FRA 16
17 Youzhny, Mikhail RUS 17
18 Robredo, Tommy ESP 18
19 Berdych, Tomas CZE 19
20 Monaco, Juan ARG 20
21 Verdasco, Fernando ESP 21
22 Karlovic, Ivo CRO 22
OUT Ferrero, Juan Carlos ESP 23
24 Moya, Carlos ESP 24
OUT Baghdatis, Marcos CYP 25
OUT Ljubicic, Ivan CRO 26
OUT Hewitt, Lleyton AUS 27
28 Nieminen, Jarkko FIN 28
29 Simon, Gilles FRA 29
30 Seppi, Andreas ITA 30
31 Tursunov, Dmitry RUS 31
32 Monfils, Gael FRA 32
33 Kiefer, Nicolas GER 33
34 Llodra, Michael FRA 34
35 Lopez, Feliciano ESP 35
36 Kohlschreiber, Philipp GER 36
37 Andreev, Igor RUS 37
38 Haas, Tommy GER 38
39 Fish, Mardy USA 39
40 Tipsarevic, Janko SRB 40
41 Soderling, Robin SWE 41
42 Querrey, Sam USA 42
43 Ancic, Mario CRO 43
44 Benneteau, Julien FRA 44
45 (SE)
46 (Q)
47 (Q)
48 (Q)
49 (Q)
50 (Q)
51 (Q)
52 (Q)
53 (WC) Safin, Marat RUS
54 (WC) Levine, Jesse USA
55 (WC) Isner, John USA
56 (WC) Young, Donald USA

Alternates
OUT Chela, Juan Ignacio ARG 45
IN Canas, Guillermo ARG 46
IN Bolelli, Simone ITA 47
IN Gulbis, Ernests LAT 48
OUT Calleri, Agustin ARG 49
IN Acasuso, Jose ARG 50
OUT Granollers, Marcel ESP 51
OUT Darcis, Steve BEL 52
OUT Santoro, Fabrice FRA 53
OUT Lee, Hyung-Taik KOR 54
IN Cilic, Marin CRO 55
OUT Starace, Potito ITA 56
OUT Mahut, Nicolas FRA 57
IN Ginepri, Robby USA 58
OUT Grosjean, Sebastien FRA 59
OUT Gicquel, Marc FRA 60
OUT Schwank, Eduardo ARG 61
OUT Haase, Robin NED 62
IN Lapentti, Nicolas ECU 63
OUT Sela, Dudi ISR 64
OUT Del Potro, Juan Martin ARG 65
OUT Rochus, Olivier BEL 66
1. Bellucci, Thomaz BRA 67
2. Johansson, Thomas SWE 68
3. Montanes, Albert ESP 69
OUT Minar, Ivo CZE 70
4. Gremelmayr, Denis GER 71
5. Daniel, Marcos BRA 72
OUT Lu, Yen-Hsun TPE 73
6. Koubek, Stefan AUT 74

Wyna
07-25-2008, 11:31 AM
6 hours
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=414

Tommy fan
07-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Thread title :hearts:

Come on Tommy!!
Anyways, not much to say, just hoping for a good (Better..) draw for Tommy adn hopefully Tommy feels good :)

Wow, draw published today :eek: Early, but better for us! :)

thefly
07-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Well, I guess see you guys later. And fingers crossed ... ;)

Lugburz
07-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Yeah it is better for us ! Sooner,even better ! I'm expecting better one after lousy Toronto,so,Auf Geht's Tommy !
Go Get'Em Tiger !

Lugburz
07-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Ah finally : http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2008/422/mds.pdf

Lugburz
07-25-2008, 11:16 PM
So,we have Youzhny coming along in first round...Will be tough for sure,but we wouldn't be here if don't believe that Tommy can do it ! So Tommy we have faith in you !

thefly
07-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Oh boy. I think a Masters Series tournament is never easy, but this is again a tough one. Interesting first round, to say the least, a possibly very winnable second, and then the seemingly impossible task against Rafa. Well, I think the immediate objective is well defined: 3rd round. Come on, Tommy!

Lugburz
07-25-2008, 11:23 PM
If he can get through to 3rd round I would be very happy to see that match vs Nadal ! One of my lifetime wishes is Tommy def.Nadal..Maybe my dream will come true ! :D

thefly
07-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Head-to-head is 2-2, and 1-1 in Tommy's "second carreer", one straight sets win in Doha in 2006, and a loss in three at the Paris Masters last year. This one is really unpredictable in my book, but it should be a match where Tommy can play his game and force it on his opponent; let's hope for the best.

Lugburz
07-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Head-to-head is 2-2, and 1-1 in Tommy's "second carreer", one straight sets win in Doha in 2006, and a loss in three at the Paris Masters last year. This one is really unpredictable in my book, but it should be a match where Tommy can play his game and force it on his opponent; let's hope for the best.

Well I think Youzhny is beatable,so as Monfils...If Tommy plays as he did recent he can beat them both..Maybe this is early to say but this was just realistic expectations...

Tommy fan
07-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Ok, tough draw, but it's an AMS, so what can we get?
Youzhny is beatable, I just hope Tommy will play well, and then I think he should win. Monfils.. Well Tommy doesn't like to play against big servers so I hope Gael will have a weak service day, and Tommy will manage to overcome him, like he did against Isner.

Sadly, I won't be here during the week, only weekend so I won't be able to follow (But I'll cross my fingers for Tommy to still be in the tourny when I'll be back ;))
so I trust you guys to cheer enough behalf of me too. :)

Come on Tommy!!

TommyB.
07-26-2008, 08:44 AM
I don't like this one. 50:50 match against Youzhny I would say. GL Tommy!

thefly
07-26-2008, 10:34 AM
I think Tommy is on the right track as far as his game is concerned. The question is, what will be going on in his head ...
He needs to get his attitude right; both his matches against Simon and Davy were pretty much lost in his head. And while the loss against Simon was unfortunate, a lot just went wrong that day against Davy - not to mentioned Davy just being Davy, of course. ;)
So here's a lot of confidence that Tommy will perform better and once again more focused. He must WANT this third round ... :)

Wyna
07-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Definitely a hard first round. But I have the impression that Youzhny is not at his best right now so Tommy could win that match when he can play his game (and when he stays calm :angel:).
He should win the second round and then it's the 3rd round against Rafa...
Let's start with the winning the 1st round!

Lugburz
07-26-2008, 11:11 AM
I think Tommy is on the right track as far as his game is concerned. The question is, what will be going on in his head ...
He needs to get his attitude right; both his matches against Simon and Davy were pretty much lost in his head. And while the loss against Simon was unfortunate, a lot just went wrong that day against Davy - not to mentioned Davy just being Davy, of course. ;)
So here's a lot of confidence that Tommy will perform better and once again more focused. He must WANT this third round ... :)

Exactly,glad to hear that ;) You're right about 'his head',he should work more on that part :)
I have confidence as well that Tommy can make some impact there,and now is the right time,I mean,his best tours are now,he must be thinking of USO ,so I think he could be a seed there..

el tenista
07-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, tough 1st round but Tommy should get through to the 3rd round. Then Rafa...Sorry, but this guy is unbeatable for Tommy at the moment. I watched him against Gasquet and Gasquet had to play unbelievable to have only a chance against Rafa. In set 2 and 3 he nearly destroyed him and Gasquet had no chance. Rafa must have a bad day, then Tommy might have a chance...All other guys are beatable, including Djokovic and Federer, but not Rafa.

Lugburz
07-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah, tough 1st round but Tommy should get through to the 3rd round. Then Rafa...Sorry, but this guy is unbeatable for Tommy at the moment. I watched him against Gasquet and Gasquet had to play unbelievable to have only a chance against Rafa. In set 2 and 3 he nearly destroyed him and Gasquet had no chance. Rafa must have a bad day, then Tommy might have a chance...All other guys are beatable, including Djokovic and Federer, but not Rafa.

I watched that game too...And that match just showed how Nadal can be beatable ! What Gasquet did in first set was just amaizing! He was attacking all time Nadal and that is exactly what any player should do against him...The only problem is to maintain with your play,or you will be punished if you do otherwise like Nadal did last night...After first set, Gasquet adjusted Nadal style of play and was easily beaten.I mean it is really hard to keep up with Nadal but just as long as you can attack him and serve well,anything could happen...I feel sorry for Gasquet because he has shown beautiful tennis,and I really like his play.That is actually why I like players who plays one handed backhand,they are attacking and they are playing attractive tennis to watch..
Bottom line,Tommy has the game to beat Nadal(if he meets him)as long as he can play his game,if not,I mean if he adjust Nadal game,then it will be impossible...

el tenista
07-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Well, let's see ;) I won't be around until Tuesday night (I'm in Berlin), so please cheer for Tommy as much as you can!! ;)

Lugburz
07-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Well, let's see ;) I won't be around until Tuesday night (I'm in Berlin), so please cheer for Tommy as much as you can!! ;)

And more then that ! ;)

Wyna
07-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Bottom line,Tommy has the game to beat Nadal(if he meets him)as long as he can play his game,if not,I mean if he adjust Nadal game,then it will be impossible...

It's not that easy against Rafa. Alright, if Tommy can beat him then on hard court. But I don't think he can right now unless Rafa has a really bad day.
But to be honest, this would be a third round. It's still far away.

We will. Have fun.

Lugburz
07-26-2008, 04:08 PM
It's not that easy against Rafa. Alright, if Tommy can beat him then on hard court. But I don't think he can right now unless Rafa has a really bad day.
But to be honest, this would be a third round. It's still far away.

Of course that wouldn't be easy against Nadal.But I don't care :) Watching Tommy beating Nadal would make me the most happiest man on Earth !

thefly
07-26-2008, 04:17 PM
As it stands right now, I guess Rafa has to lose sometime, right? He just can't play week after week and win everything ... he must become tired after all. ;)

Thinking about that, the current issue of a German magazine has a large article about the male hormone testosterone, and the cover - for no aparant reason - shows a pumped up Nadal. lol

But as has already been pointed out aplenty: first things first. At least the match against Youzhny is a high profile one, and should be on a show court. Can't wait!

Lugburz
07-26-2008, 04:22 PM
As it stands right now, I guess Rafa has to lose sometime, right? He just can't play week after week and win everything ... he must become tired after all. ;)

Thinking about that, the current issue of a German magazine has a large article about the male hormone testosterone, and the cover - for no aparant reason - shows a pumped up Nadal. lol

But as has already been pointed out aplenty: first things first. At least the match against Youzhny is a high profile one, and should be on a show court. Can't wait!

Yep you're right ! I tried to express my feeling if Tommy makes the 3rd round ;)
But can't wait for the first match too,I am always glad to hear that Tommy is feeling great ad that he is enjoying playing tennis right now...With that positive thinking of Tommy,we can expect anything ;)

Tommy fan
07-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Won't be here again o write it until the weekend, so Good luck Tommy!!! Come on!! Do your best!!
(And fight, want it!!..)

Have a nice week guys :D :wavey:

Lugburz
07-27-2008, 05:27 PM
According to Order of play for Monday,Tommy will play on Grandstand ! So,we will have live streaming ;)
Main Draw - Monday, July 28

CENTER COURT start 11:00 am

[12] T Robredo (ESP) vs M Fish (USA)
S Querrey (USA) vs P Mathieu (FRA)
[13] F Gonzalez (CHI) vs T Berdych (CZE)
Not Before 7:00 PM
D Tursunov (RUS) vs [WC] M Safin (RUS)
G Monfils (FRA) vs [WC] D Young (USA)

GRANDSTAND start 11:00 am
J Nieminen (FIN) vs E Gulbis (LAT)
F Lopez (ESP) vs A Seppi (ITA)
Qualifier vs R Ginepri (USA)
[14] M Youzhny (RUS) vs T Haas (GER)
M Ancic (CRO) vs J Acasuso (ARG)

COURT 3 start 11:00 am
T Bellucci (BRA) vs [16] I Karlovic (CRO)
J Benneteau (FRA) vs R Soderling (SWE)
P Kohlschreiber (GER) vs Qualifier

COURT 4 start 4:00 pm
S Aspelin (SWE) / J Murray (GBR) vs R Bopanna (IND) / J Cerretani (USA)
S Bolelli (ITA) / A Seppi (ITA) vs S Lipsky (USA) / D Martin (USA)

Wyna
07-27-2008, 06:02 PM
That's good to hear.

07-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Well Youzhny hasn't been playing well as of late. So I don't guess it is a bad 1st Rd Match. It is a shame about Tommy's shoulder :sad: And Tommy needs to keep his head in the Match. Tommy gets far too upset too easily. Some players that just fires up their play, but not Tommy :rolleyes:

thefly
07-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Boy, I hope Ginepri now makes this short, I have an exam tomorrow morning. :p

Lugburz
07-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Boy, I hope Ginepri now makes this short, I have an exam tomorrow morning. :p

I hope he will,, 6-0 in first set looking good ;)
Btw,good luck tomorrow morning ;)

Lugburz
07-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Ginepri def. Bjorkman 6-0 7-6...Next one on Grandstand:Tommy Haas vs Mikhail Youzhny ! !
Auf Geht's !

thefly
07-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Tommy's game still looks a little awkward. Hope he finds his balance ...

thefly
07-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Yes! Puh, good thing Youzhny made some ER ... let's hope Tommy can push himself now and find some more confidence. Time to see those good old front-runner qualities!

timoe
07-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Tommy serving huuuuge in the first set! :)

thefly
07-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Jeez, Tommy has to make more of his chances; he knows how high the freakin' net is, doesn't he?
C'mon man!

EDIT

Some nice shots now from Tommy, but all in all once again there's no punch to his game, no power.

EDIT2

Yes! ONE good return game, one break! Come on, now serve it out!

thefly
07-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Oh JA! Overall awful match by Tommy, but somehow he did it. In the end, his serve made the difference!

Almost died during this last service game though. :p

Whatever, glad he's through.
Good night. ;)

TennisFan2012
07-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Way to go, Tommy, against a very tough opponent!

Lugburz
07-28-2008, 10:47 PM
That was pretty much,match of nerves ! Tommy deserved that win,because he manage to overcome second set crisis...Finally,he succeeded to calm his nerves down in crucial moments,and I am glad that I saw that on the court ! ;) Overall, he mostly during the match played attacking tennis and got himself through to the second round...Way to go Tommy ! :yeah:

Jogy
07-29-2008, 12:35 AM
:woohoo:
YES Tommy, good fight there! :yeah: :yeah:

:banana:

Sorry if Youzhny fans here, but I can't stand him with his military greet after win match. So I'm glad there was no military celebration this time and that Tommy won this!

I hope Tommy can win a bit more and next match!

AUF GEHTS

Lugburz
07-29-2008, 12:57 AM
:woohoo:
YES Tommy, good fight there! :yeah: :yeah:

:banana:

Sorry if Youzhny fans here, but I can't stand him with his military greet after win match. So I'm glad there was no military celebration this time and that Tommy won this!

I hope Tommy can win a bit more and next match!

AUF GEHTS

:D Yeah you're right about his celebration :D
Well next round is gonna be a little bit easier,but we'll see.So,next is Monfils or Young and we'll see who will it be in the next 2hours...

07-29-2008, 04:08 AM
Jeez, Tommy has to make more of his chances; he knows how high the freakin' net is, doesn't he?
C'mon man!

EDIT

Some nice shots now from Tommy, but all in all once again there's no punch to his game, no power.

EDIT2

Yes! ONE good return game, one break! Come on, now serve it out!
How can you even talk about punch and power being missing from Tommy's game? He has had 3 shoulder surgeries. Where is the punch and power supposed to come from? I'm just glad he won and he is able to stay on the Tour ;)

TommyB.
07-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Good win for Tommy. :) His serve was pretty well and he stayed focused after his little meltdown at the end of the 2nd set (3 DF's in a row :o). Next one is Monfils...dangerous.

thefly
07-29-2008, 10:57 AM
How can you even talk about punch and power being missing from Tommy's game? He has had 3 shoulder surgeries. Where is the punch and power supposed to come from? I'm just glad he won and he is able to stay on the Tour ;)

I understand what you mean. I certainly don't want to complain. Sometimes I find it almost silly how big a fan I am, and like I said before, I'm happy to see that guy play. The thing is, we have already seen Tommy playing way better and more powerful this year, so we pretty much know that he CAN do better, that it is still in him, and in his shoulder. I think once again that it's all about his attitude. He has to get his focus right. And he did that quiet well in the end of the last set, so kudos! ;)

And yeah, impressive serving indeed. Might very well have something to do with the fast surface, as he pointed out in the interview (I mean 17 aces! Did he ever serve this many in one match this year?). Let's hope he'll play on the grandstand again (and not just because of the cameras). But I'm afraid that's not a sure thing, against Monfils; what do you think?

I really hope Tommy will get his 3rd round against Nadal. That little success and such a "nothing to lose" match would do him good I think.

Lugburz
07-29-2008, 12:05 PM
I understand what you mean. I certainly don't want to complain. Sometimes I find it almost silly how big a fan I am, and like I said before, I'm happy to see that guy play. The thing is, we have already seen Tommy playing way better and more powerful this year, so we pretty much know that he CAN do better, that it is still in him, and in his shoulder. I think once again that it's all about his attitude. He has to get his focus right. And he did that quiet well in the end of the last set, so kudos! ;)

And yeah, impressive serving indeed. Might very well have something to do with the fast surface, as he pointed out in the interview (I mean 17 aces! Did he ever serve this many in one match this year?). Let's hope he'll play on the grandstand again (and not just because of the cameras). But I'm afraid that's not a sure thing, against Monfils; what do you think?

I really hope Tommy will get his 3rd round against Nadal. That little success and such a "nothing to lose" match would do him good I think.

Mae,I understand what you mean too,but the thing is that we now have to put his shoulder problems behind us and Tommy as well...thefly was right,Tommy had better matches this year,so that wasn't about the shoulder.He served pretty good,and his backhand looked way better in third set..
I am just glad that I saw his turnaround from a meltdown and possible loss.After all the match was good to watch(pretty nervous and lot of headache :D) Although Tommy played better ones..;)

OK,next one is Monfils...pretty tough task for Tommy again.I watched last night Monfils beating Young easily,with no trouble at all..It will dangerous match,but Tommy's play is back on high level,so I expect yet another good performance from Tommy :worship:

P.S. @thefly,there is nothing silly being big fan ! ;)

TommyB.
07-29-2008, 12:48 PM
I think we won't see this match on the CC or Grandstand, two unseeded players. But it's definitely a match for the showcourts. Let's wait and see.

Lugburz
07-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I think we won't see this match on the CC or Grandstand, two unseeded players. But it's definitely a match for the showcourts. Let's wait and see.

Maybe we won't see it at all :rolleyes: :shrug:
:http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/45202?dayNum=1&from=36hr_fcst_undeclared

thefly
07-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Oh no, please not another messed up schedule.

Oh mighty weather gods, what sacrifice do we have to offer to protect Tommy from your obtrusive annoyance!? ;)

Lugburz
07-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Let's hope that information is wrong...I don't want to witness another messed up and changed schedule..;)
Hope this time Tommy will win,so we wouldn't be nervous as Davydenko match :D

Lugburz
07-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Order of play for tomorrow...We will see Tommy again ! :worship:
http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2008/422/op.pdf

Wednesday, July 30

[7] J Blake (USA) vs [LL] R Ram (USA) or G Simon (FRA)
S Querrey (USA) vs [8] A Murray (GBR)
S Bolelli (ITA) vs [3] N Djokovic (SRB)
F Serra (FRA) vs [2] R Nadal (ESP)
R Lindstedt (SWE) / J Nieminen (FIN) vs [3] J Erlich (ISR) / A Ram (ISR)

GRANDSTAND start 11:00 am
[5] D Ferrer (ESP) vs N Lapentti (ECU)
T Haas (GER) vs G Monfils (FRA)
[WC] J Isner (USA) vs I Andreev (RUS) or [15] R Stepanek (CZE)
[11] R Gasquet (FRA) vs D Tursunov (RUS)
[4] N Davydenko (RUS) vs C Moya (ESP)

COURT 3 start 11:00 am
E Gulbis (LAT) vs [LL] A Clement (FRA)
T Berdych (CZE) vs A Seppi (ITA)
[Q] C Guccione (AUS) vs [10] F Verdasco (ESP)
[1] B Bryan (USA) / M Bryan (USA) vs J Blake (USA) / S Querrey (USA) or T Widom (USA) / M Yani (USA)
S Bolelli (ITA) / A Seppi (ITA) vs [2] D Nestor (CAN) / N Zimonjic (SRB)
T Chen (TPE) / P King (USA) or [WC] M Fish (USA) / J Isner (USA) vs [5] J Bjorkman (SWE) / K Ullyett (ZIM)

COURT 4 start 12:00 noon
[6] L Dlouhy (CZE) / L Paes (IND) vs I Karlovic (CRO) / R Wassen (NED)
P Hanley (AUS) / J Kerr (AUS) or T Robredo (ESP) / A Sa (BRA) vs [8] M Fyrstenberg (POL) / M Matkowski (POL)
[4] M Bhupathi (IND) / M Knowles (BAH) vs T Berdych (CZE) / R Stepanek (CZE) - To Be Arranged

el tenista
07-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Yo guys, I've just arrived from my little journey to Berlin :) I got to know that Tommy defeated Youzhny in 3 tough sets and I'm very happy that we will be able to watch him tomorrow!!!

thefly
07-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Ah, Berdych and Verdasco on small courts, not so Tommy. Me likey. :p
Great to be able to seem him again. I just hope there won't be another weather disaster.

Oh, and @ Mr. tenista, please update your sig ... Can't look at that anymore. ;)

el tenista
07-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah, sorry, you're right ;) I'll do it immediately!

EDIT: Updated :)

Lugburz
07-29-2008, 11:57 PM
welcome back el_tenista ! ;)

07-30-2008, 05:57 AM
Tommy and Monfils, huh? That could be an interesting Match. Tommy has the experience and better all around game especially if that shoulder is holding up :unsure: But Monfils is really fast around the court, kind of wild (that isn't really the word I want, but I can't think of a better one?) with his tennis game, younger, and doesn't have a shoulder problem!

el tenista
07-30-2008, 02:26 PM
welcome back el_tenista ! ;)

Lugburz
07-30-2008, 05:56 PM
They are on the court ! C'mon Tommy ! Live streaming at bet365.... Good luck ;)

Edit:Tommy always gets first to serve,that's perfect ;)

oranges
07-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Nice start with 2:0 lead :)

thefly
07-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Ah, that's not a good way for a match to end, even if Tommy wins.

Lugburz
07-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah ! Perfect game for Tommy as Monfils retires after 5-1 to Tommy! Beautiful ! :yeah:

Lugburz
07-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Ah, that's not a good way for a match to end, even if Tommy wins.

Never mind that because Tommy played fantastically ! ;)

Lugburz
07-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Now,he will be able to prepare for Nadal..I think that this easy win will help him..

thefly
07-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Yes, Tommy looked good, that would have made it all the more interesting if Monfils was alright.
But whatever, I'm of course glad he's through and can now wait for Rafa. Point-wise, I think he's now already on the plus side concerning the USO series, so everything from now on is a bonus.

Lugburz
07-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Yes, Tommy looked good, that would have made it all the more interesting if Monfils was alright.
But whatever, I'm of course glad he's through and can now wait for Rafa. Point-wise, I think he's now already on the plus side concerning the USO series, so everything from now on is a bonus.

Yep,you're right,but that's tennis ;)

Yeah,can't wait for Nadal match and all hardcourts ths season,because Tommy is looking good and I am thrilled that I am witnessing to that ! :D
Also happy to see him physically and mentally good ! ;)

TommyB.
07-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Not the best way to win but I'm glad that he's through (finally some luck for Tommy). Now against the future No. 1. :)

Lugburz
07-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Not the best way to win but I'm glad that he's through (finally some luck for Tommy). Now against the future No. 1. :)

:sad: :mad:

TommyB.
07-30-2008, 07:00 PM
:sad: :mad:

You don't like Nadal? ;)

Lugburz
07-30-2008, 07:05 PM
You don't like Nadal? ;)

Not at all ! I have had some previous post on this forum that can prove that :D But this is Tommy thread and I don't want to hear any cheer for Nadal ! :devil: :lol:

TommyB.
07-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Not at all ! I have had some previous post on this forum that can prove that :D But this is Tommy thread and I don't want to hear any cheer for Nadal ! :devil: :lol:

Don't worry, I'm not a big fan of Rafa. So I won't cheer for him. Allez Serra!! :p

Lugburz
07-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Don't worry, I'm not a big fan of Rafa. So I won't cheer for him. Allez Serra!! :p

Hope you're not at all :D :D
P.S.Serra.....C'mon !! :D

Yappa
07-30-2008, 07:27 PM

It's up to Tommy to prevent that by defeating him. Come on, help Roger. :)

Lugburz
07-30-2008, 07:31 PM

:yeah::clap2:

thefly
07-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Don't like Nadal much, either. Guess he's a nice, even humble guy off the court, but on the court I neither like his demeanour nor his game, as effective as it may be.

But right now, I'm not sure If I want Serra to win (if this possibility even exists); he would certainly be a much easier opponent, and of course I would love to see Tommy move on to the quarters ... but an encounter with Rafa is something I would really like to see.

thefly
07-30-2008, 07:36 PM

Good point you got there. :yeah:

Lugburz
07-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Don't like Nadal much, either. Guess he's a nice, even humble guy off the court, but on the court I neither like his demeanour nor his game, as effective as it may be.

But right now, I'm not sure If I want Serra to win (if this possibility even exists); he would certainly be a much easier opponent, and of course I would love to see Tommy move on to the quarters ... but an encounter with Rafa is something I would really like to see.

Totally agree with that one,;) and with everything else :worship:

el tenista
07-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Of course it would be nice to watch Tommy defeating Nadal to help Roger and to move to the Quaterfinals :). In Cincinnati, Tommy definitely has the biggest chance, because there, the courts are really fast. The faster, the better for Tommy!
I agree with you guys: Of course it would be nice if Serra defeats Nadal so Tommy would have an easier opponent but an encounter against Rafa would be something very special...A mouth watering clash so to say :)
Looking forward to it! Probably they'll play Friday morning at 1:00 a.m. CET...

Lugburz
07-30-2008, 08:11 PM
yeah el_tenista ,that is exactly what the fly and I meant.so we're all looking forward to see that match ! ;)

el tenista
07-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Tommy watched Nadal vs. Serra ;) So I hope he pointed out how NOT to play against Rafa :lol:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5623/haaszuschauerow2.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=haaszuschauerow2.jpg)

Lugburz
07-31-2008, 12:11 AM
Tommy watched Nadal vs. Serra ;) So I hope he pointed out how NOT to play against Rafa :lol:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5623/haaszuschauerow2.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=haaszuschauerow2.jpg)

:D

Lugburz
07-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Thursday, July 31

http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2008/422/op.pdf

[7] J Blake (USA) vs E Gulbis (LAT)
Not Before 1:00 PM
A Seppi (ITA) vs [3] N Djokovic (SRB)
[1] R Federer (SUI) vs [16] I Karlovic (CRO)
T Haas (GER) vs [2] R Nadal (ESP):devil: AUF GEHT'S TOMMY,YOU CAN DO IT !
[1] B Bryan (USA) / M Bryan (USA) vs [8] M Fyrstenberg (POL) / M Matkowski (POL)

GRANDSTAND start 12:00 noon
R Soderling (SWE) vs P Kohlschreiber (GER)
[11] R Gasquet (FRA) or D Tursunov (RUS) vs [8] A Murray (GBR)
[4] N Davydenko (RUS) or C Moya (ESP) vs I Andreev (RUS)
N Lapentti (ECU) vs [Q] C Guccione (AUS) or [10] F Verdasco (ESP)
[4] M Bhupathi (IND) / M Knowles (BAH) vs [WC] M Fish (USA) / J Isner (USA) or [5] J Bjorkman (SWE) / K Ullyett (ZIM)

07-31-2008, 12:52 AM
Thank goodness! I guess I didn't look close enough at the scoring site and when I saw ret. I thought it was Tommy :scared: The scoring site puts the player's name that won the Match in letters that are bolder in print than the person that was defeated. But I guess when I saw ret. I freaked :eek:

TommyB.
07-31-2008, 08:59 AM
Nice pic tenista. He looks a little bit scared. ;)

Well Rafa destroyed another opponent. Tommy should win more games than Serra at least. :o

thefly
07-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Ouch. Well, at least it seems like Tommy takes it seriously and wants to be prepared. If he's focused and plays well this could really be epic. I think one of Tommy's qualitys in the past was that he often didn't show much respect against the best of the best, especially Roger. Although this is pretty much not the case anymore, in the past in seemed like players always showed way to much respect when they played Roger, almost being afraid of his game, which was a huge advantage for Roger, but Tommy often just went for it and did his best, not afraid of the big name.

I hope he does that today again and just has fun and goes for it. Like I said, if Tommy's on top of his game, this could get interesting ...

el tenista
07-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Roger :eek::sad::sad::o:confused:

Lugburz
07-31-2008, 09:02 PM

Unbelievable ! What is wrong with him :sad: :sad:

el tenista
07-31-2008, 09:17 PM
In fact he couldn't do anything. He played okay. In set 3, Karlovic made only 2 POINTS (!!) on Roger's serve but this was enough to defeat him :(
Now it's Tommy's job to help Roger to be the No.1 for the last two consecutive weeks...

thefly
07-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah, bad news. But from what I've seen I guess Karlovic wasn't bad, and if you can't get a shot at his serve, it gets really tough; if you're not on top of your game in the tiebreak, you're in trouble, and playing against Karlovic isn't really the right match for someone searching for his form, trying to find his game.

But Tommy tonight has the chance to give Rafa a taste of the same medicine, so come on! :)
But seriously; I just hope for a good match; I won't mind Tommy losing against Rafa, as long as he offers a little resistance.

Can't wait now!

el tenista
07-31-2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah, bad news. But from what I've seen I guess Karlovic wasn't bad, and if you can't get a shot at his serve, it gets really tough; if you're not on top of your game in the tiebreak, you're in trouble, and playing against Karlovic isn't really the right match for someone searching for his form, trying to find his game.

But Tommy tonight has the chance to give Rafa a taste of the same medicine, so come on! :)
But seriously; I just hope for a good match; I won't mind Tommy losing against Rafa, as long as he offers a little resistance.

Can't wait now!

Agree with all your words! :)

07-31-2008, 09:49 PM
:yippee: Sorry I couldn't resist :o

07-31-2008, 09:52 PM
Just so Tommy's shoulder stays attached to his body in the Match. That is all I'm concerned about because Rafa hits the ball so hard :scared:

el tenista
07-31-2008, 10:44 PM
About 15 minutes to go! I'll be away for the match now...
COME ON TOMMY!!!!! You can do it!

Lugburz
07-31-2008, 10:46 PM
About 15 minutes to go! I'll be away for the match now...
COME ON TOMMY!!!!! You can do it!

Yep 15 to go ! ! Of course that I will be away too,I don't want to miss any second of that match :D;)
Fingers crossed and AUF FUCKIN' GEHT'S !!

Lugburz
07-31-2008, 11:00 PM
OK guys that's it ! I am off now,Good Luck to all of us !
NeverMind the Bullocks...Here Comes the TOMMY HAAS ! ! :worship:

oranges
07-31-2008, 11:11 PM
Fingers crossed :D

thefly
07-31-2008, 11:33 PM
Ah, that first break was unfortunate, but GREAT first return game from Tommy. I hope he doesn't mind not making the rebreak too much now ...

oranges
07-31-2008, 11:41 PM
^^ I wondered why he chose to serve, rather than receive. He doesn't seem upset about the lost BP. Playing well so far, he should have a chance to rebreak.

thefly
07-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Some good serving now; but overall his serve is a far cry from his last matches so far ... against Nadal of all matches! But he looks very focused, that's cool. Some faults are just unlucky, but his game is definitely on the right track, he has it in him ...

el tenista
07-31-2008, 11:48 PM
Yeah, he came out nicely of thedangerous situation at 15-30 in the 5th game. 1 good 1st serve and 2 aces! Come on! Break him!

thefly
07-31-2008, 11:54 PM
Everything just went black, on betfair, bet365, justin.tv ... what's going on?

el tenista
07-31-2008, 11:56 PM
Everything just went black, on betfair, bet365, justin.tv ... what's going on?

Same on Masters Series TV and on American TV. Some general problems I guess..:o

thefly
07-31-2008, 11:57 PM
Oh come on! That's definitely a "Rafa for No. 1" cover-up!! :p

Lugburz
07-31-2008, 11:58 PM
Same on Masters Series TV and on American TV. Some general problems I guess..:o

Yep it's up to Americans

Lugburz
07-31-2008, 11:59 PM
5-3

el tenista
08-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Yep it's up to Americans

They can control the world but can't control their TV coverage...Excellent work...

thefly
08-01-2008, 12:01 AM
That's maybe Tommy's best performance of the year, and now the broadcast is messed up?! Are you freakin' kidding me?!

Lugburz
08-01-2008, 12:02 AM
They can control the world but can't control their TV coverage...Excellent work...

Good point :D
5-4

Lugburz
08-01-2008, 12:02 AM
That's maybe Tommy's best performance of the year, and now the broadcast is messed up?! Are you freakin' kidding me?!

Here we go again ! :D :(

oranges
08-01-2008, 12:04 AM
We have the stream again

el tenista
08-01-2008, 12:09 AM
4-6...But Tommy has his chances!

thefly
08-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Ah, damn, Tommy's so close! He plays well, Rafa not quite at his best, and Tommy had his chances and didn't take them. Hope that doesn't frustrate him now but pushes him further instead ...

thefly
08-01-2008, 12:12 AM
The court surface seems to be really fast indeed; I have the impression that Nadal has his problems whenever Tommy hits hard ...

thefly
08-01-2008, 12:17 AM
I want this backhand framed and huge on my wall!! Way to go Tommy!

timoe
08-01-2008, 12:19 AM
What a backhand longline winner was that to 40:30? :eek:

Tommy's playing great, this f...ing first service game. :(

oranges
08-01-2008, 12:21 AM
What a backhand longline winner was that to 40:30? :eek:

Tommy's playing great, this f...ing first service game. :(

The kind that made me a fan :D

oranges
08-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Aaah, chances all the time, but nothing yet...

thefly
08-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Ah, Tommy play so well, but then these stupid UE's ...

EDIT

Correction: make this TWO backhands I want on my wall. ;)

EDIT2

Aw, more awesome tennis, but this rushed overhead smash ... this could have been it! Such a pity.

el tenista
08-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Awesome match by Tommy! He leads 4-3, now break him!!!!

oranges
08-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Perhaps now's the time for that break. Make that fourth, I think, display on the wall ;)

thefly
08-01-2008, 12:48 AM
lol, Lapentti's there. And his face. Like, "boy, whoever I'm gonna play tomorrow ... I'm finished!"
:p

el tenista
08-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Wow, Tommy! Awesome! Excellent! Brilliant! He was down 15-40 and 40-A and rallied back to win the game! He remained so patient and positive, that's good! Come on!
Fantastic 2nd serves by the way...

thefly
08-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Oh, terrible service game! Sometimes Tommy overpowers a little, especially after winning a great point.
Damn it! He really earned that set!

el tenista
08-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Oh no, the 1st awful game by Tommy since the 1st game in the 1st set...5-6, break down...

thefly
08-01-2008, 01:11 AM
How can Rafa return THIS backhand so well! Not fair. :p

oranges
08-01-2008, 01:14 AM
It's deuce. Come on, break him. He deserves the third set.

thefly
08-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Unbelievable!

oranges
08-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Yeeeeessssss

el tenista
08-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Unbelievable!!! Tommy saves 2 MP's and then Rafa serves 2 DF's after hitting 14 1st serves in a row!!!! 6-6!

el tenista
08-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Oh no, 0-4 down in the tie break...

thefly
08-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Oh God, when you get a tiebreak presented like that, gift-wrapped with a greeting card, and then play like that ... well, you just haven't earned it after all.

Yappa
08-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Nadal lost that game on purpose to humiliate Tommy in the TB. :rolleyes: He doesn't need to do anything, though.

thefly
08-01-2008, 01:21 AM
lol, Tommy's reaction, hilarious. ;)

el tenista
08-01-2008, 01:23 AM

Yeah, well, he knows that he played well, maybe he would have beaten any other player but not Rafa...That's what makes the difference! But we can really looking forward to L.A. and Washington, there he definitely has the chance to win even one of those tournaments!

Congrats to Rafa though. Tough match! Credits to both players!

oranges
08-01-2008, 01:23 AM
:sad: It really should have gone to the third. Bad, bad tiebreak, but great match overall from Tommy.

Yappa
08-01-2008, 01:27 AM

Did you understamdd what he said? It was barely audible. I only got "Oh my god" and something about the "tie break". :D

Well, good luck in your next tournaments, Tommy.

Lugburz
08-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Guys all I can say after this one:I AM SO PROUD OF OUR BOY ! Just perfect ! Nadal played those important points better but Tommy was dominant ! With this level of play that Tommy showed we can expect everything ! but firstly,let's get that seed for the US Open ;) Tommy - That was awesome !

thefly
08-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Well, of course disappointing in the end, Tommy had a chance. I just see, he made more winners than Rafa, but just too many UE's, all the more frustrating because he often prepared his points so well but couldn't finish them off. Man, it was SO close. over 2 hours for two sets!
But still ... AWESOME performance! With the UE's I almost got the impression that Tommy was surprised himself how well he was playing. ;) In the end, I think it's Nadal's at times impressive defense that makes the difference. Most of the other players wouldn't have stood a chance against THIS Tommy. Which is kinda weird; against the seemingly "unbeatable" Nadal he produces such a great performance, that - I don't know - could have won Indy or brought him deep into the Toronto tournament. But what the heck, just great how he rose up to the challange.

I don't know about, you, but I think Tommy starts to look prepared for what is to come. When his disappointment is finally gone, I think he will realize how good he was and what he's still capable of. This HAS to push him.
Too bad we probably won't have any moving images until the next quarterfinal, I can't wait right now to see what comes next!

Oh well. I'm just happy right now I guess. Can't wait for this match to surface only. Sure going to rewatch some of these points ... ;)

Good night.

Lugburz
08-01-2008, 01:41 AM
Well, of course disappointing in the end, Tommy had a chance. I just see, he made more winners than Rafa, but just too many UE's, all the more frustrating because he often prepared his points so well but couldn't finish them off. Man, it was SO close. over 2 hours for two sets!
But still ... AWESOME performance! With the UE's I almost got the impression that Tommy was surprised himself how well he was playing. ;) In the end, I think it's Nadal's at times impressive defense that makes the difference. Most of the other players wouldn't have stood a chance against THIS Tommy. Which is kinda weird; against the seemingly "unbeatable" Nadal he produces such a great performance, that - I don't know - could have won Indy or brought him deep into the Toronto tournament. But what the heck, just great how he rose up to the challange.

I don't know about, you, but I think Tommy starts to look prepared for what is to come. When his disappointment is finally gone, I think he will realize how good he was and what he's still capable of. This HAS to push him.
Too bad we probably won't have any moving images until the next quarterfinal, I can't wait right now to see what comes next!

Oh well. I'm just happy right now I guess. Can't wait for this match to surface only. Sure going to rewatch some of these points ... ;)

Good night.

Dude I think like that as well ! Tommy now only could seen how good he was on the court..Also happy to see him recovering the confidence...We should look forward to every his next match,because Tommy is ready for pleasant surprises ;)

thefly
08-01-2008, 01:43 AM
Dude I think like that as well ! Tommy now only could seen how good he was on the court..Also happy to see him recovering the confidence...We should look forward to every his next match,because Tommy is ready for pleasant surprises ;)

Yeah, and about Tommy's game ... I think today was the first time for a while that he didn't hold back with his ground strokes. He played a little reserved in his past matches, but today the really let loose, showing confidence in his shots, which was great to see. Now I just want to hear that his shoulder still feels alright after this ...

08-01-2008, 01:46 AM
I have definitely changed my mind about not being able to call a straight set loss a good performance. I think Tommy did well against Rafa ;) Tommy just got a bad draw to meet Rafa so early. But, of course, that is part of Tommy's ranking problem. He isn't ranked high enough so he meets the best players early in the Tournaments and then he can't get the wins to raise his ranking :( I don't know anything he can do about that situation :shrug: I just hope his shoulder is all right after that Match :scared:

Lugburz
08-01-2008, 01:59 AM
Everything should be OK from now on...I really don't want to talk about his shoulder,not even try to invoke some evil ;) Even,he will gain some points after that,and good thing is that he didn't play last year LA,so I think he can do well there,and man ,it's just in 3 days :devil:

thefly
08-01-2008, 02:06 AM
Yeah, LA draw will be held at 7:30 p.m. local time (4:30 a.m. CEST) tomorrow (saturday); nothing too bad can happen there, though.

Ah, isn't it great to get so much Haas action right now? ;)

Lugburz
08-01-2008, 02:15 AM
Yeah, LA draw will be held at 7:30 p.m. local time (4:30 a.m. CEST) tomorrow (saturday); nothing too bad can happen there, though.

Ah, isn't it great to get so much Haas action right now? ;)

I am enjoying it ;) :worship:
Btw,thanks for the info about the draw ;)

Edit: yeah you're right it's -9h :D
'Night

TommyB.
08-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Well it was good performance. Tommy had his chances but he couldn't win the big points. And the tiebreaker...no comment. :o Keep it up Tommy...I'm looking forward to LA. :)

thefly
08-01-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm a little annoyed this morning, reading the coverage of last night's match. Tommy's performance gets awfully downplayed and underappreciated in the media. It's all about Rafa becoming No. 1 and not playing very well last night. Oh come on.
Not to mention the fact that Nadal didn't win because he was so good but because Tommy pretty much gave it away all by himself in this service game and then in the TB.
Oh well. At least we know. ;)

Lugburz
08-01-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm a little annoyed this morning, reading the coverage of last night's match. Tommy's performance gets awfully downplayed and underappreciated in the media. It's all about Rafa becoming No. 1 and not playing very well last night. Oh come on.
Not to mention the fact that Nadal didn't win because he was so good but because Tommy pretty much gave it away all by himself in this service game and then in the TB.

I know what you mean..It really sucks,I am annoyed too,but hey ! We saw that match and we know how that looked like ! :devil:

leng jai
08-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Vintage Haas performance to be honest. This match sums up his whole career.

oranges
08-01-2008, 12:53 PM

They do it all the time, I'm pretty sick of the trend of hyping 1-3 players and presenting others as bystanders on the court, regardless how they played, at least in English speaking media.

Tommy fan
08-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Just came home, I followed Tommy's results sad to hear he lost to Nadal, but atleast he made it to the 3rd round after a really good win over Youzhny, so it's a good sign I think.
I can't say anything about how Tommy played yesterday since I couldn't watch it (If anyone can tell me a bit, it'd be very nice :) ) but the result isn't bad :)

GL next tourny Tommy!!1

thefly
08-01-2008, 01:38 PM

Yes, kind of.

But in my book, considering his last performances on the USO series and where he's coming from, I still think this was a huge step up. He is still struggling to find his rhythm on the tour, and to finally see him that focused and playing that well for the most part was great. Yeah, he gave it away in the end, but he's just not quite there yet, mentally. Let's be a little more patient, I think there's still a lot in him, I'm all the more convinced after this match.

Just came home, I followed Tommy's results sad to hear he lost to Nadal, but atleast he made it to the 3rd round after a really good win over Youzhny, so it's a good sign I think.
I can't say anything about how Tommy played yesterday since I couldn't watch it (If anyone can tell me a bit, it'd be very nice :) ) but the result isn't bad :)

GL next tourny Tommy!!1

I think everything has been said here about the way Tommy played. :)
But I'm sure the match will find it's way online, so stay tuned ...

Lugburz
08-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Yes, kind of.

But in my book, considering his last performances on the USO series and where he's coming from, I still think this was a huge step up. He is still struggling to find his rhythm on the tour, and to finally see him that focused and playing that well for the most part was great. Yeah, he gave it away in the end, but he's just not quite there yet, mentally. Let's be a little more patient, I think there's still a lot in him, I'm all the more convinced after this match.

I am glad that you all are so optimistic about Tommy,and that 'there is still a lot in him' :worship:
And yes he can truly gives us more ;)

Tommy fan
08-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Yes, kind of.

:yeah:
Like reading your posts :D

I think everything has been said here about the way Tommy played. :)
But I'm sure the match will find it's way online, so stay tuned ...
Oh now I had more times so I've read few of you guys's comments here, so I'm really glad to hear Tommy played a good match, and losing in 2 tight sets against Nadal now, on HC is not shame at all, the guy is just unstoppable now :(
The annoying thing is (Exept the unluckydraw for Tommy) is that the papers, like you wrote, didn't gave Tommy credit. Even here, Ive read on the net about the score, and they wrote Nadal didn't play really well and made many UE's, that'swhy he had hard time against Tommy.. Yeah right, I think they forgot to watch the match, and the fact that it was Tommy Haas against him and not Serra.

08-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Tommy was #2 in the World just like Rafa at one time. The fact that he has had three shoulder surgeries (and other injuries) plus lost time on the Tour when he was healthy because his parents were in a serious wreck is hardly Tommy's fault. I have to wonder what his career might have been like if all that hadn't happen? But now we will never know :sad: After all he has had happen to him I'm just thankful he is still able to play on the Tour and we can see him play :angel:

thefly
08-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Completely with you on that, Mae. :)