Western & Southern Financial Group Masters - July 17th - August 3rd 2008 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Western & Southern Financial Group Masters - July 17th - August 3rd 2008

07-18-2008, 07:59 AM
I guess this is where Andy will start his hard court season? If I'm wrong, will someone please correct me?

NinaNina19
07-18-2008, 07:45 PM
No, at Toronto.

07-18-2008, 08:07 PM
No, at Toronto.
Sorry. I just completely overlooked Andy's name on the List for Toronto :o

NinaNina19
07-19-2008, 12:36 AM
It's OK :).

07-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh well we have two threads ready and I hope Andy keeps us busy in each one :)

07-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Well Andy keep things busy in Canada so I hope he will do the same in Cincy ;)

scoobs
07-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Well the draw is not bad so as long as his knee isn't bothering him too much he could have another good run.

This is pretty much his last "free" tournament where he doesn't have stuff to defend in terms of mandatories - he has R3 to defend at the US Open. So I hope he can pile on some more points here and entrench himself in the top 10 and solidify his position in the race.

Good news for Andy is that Blake, who is ahead of him in the rankings, is defending RU from here last year and although it's still 2 weeks until those points come off, if Blake has a poor event Andy will probably pass James with just a couple of wins.

murray_2k8
07-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Hey, Im confused by the ranking system. Why does Indianapolis count in Andys ranking :help:

scoobs
07-31-2008, 12:09 AM
Andy has received a 0 pointer on his ranking from Indianapolis because he withdrew late without medical reason and it was his second this year (other was Valencia).

So he has to count the 0 points from Indy as one of his 5 best optionals for the next year rather than one where he scored points.

scoobs
07-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Very solid match from Andy today after a slow start - had Querrey on a string at the end and the American couldn't wait to get off court.

Next up, Tursunov in R3, who took care of Gasquet. Andy has a very good record against Tursunov.

07-31-2008, 01:03 AM
Way to go Andy :) And Dima hasn't been playing well as of late so let's hope for yet another win :D

scoobs
07-31-2008, 01:09 AM
Well he's played 2 good matches this week to down Safin and Gasquet but I'm still hopeful - Andy will give Dima a lot of what he doesn't like to deal with. Hopefully a lot of short slices, dropshots, off-pace shots, some nice loopy deep shots, take any rhythm away from the Russian.

Hopefully Andy comes out and does this quickly and solidly - would be good for him to make the QFs without even expending too much energy - he may need it for the likes of Kolya (assuming he survives Moya tonight and then Andreev tomorrow.

murray_2k8
07-31-2008, 01:10 AM
Andy has received a 0 pointer on his ranking from Indianapolis because he withdrew late without medical reason and it was his second this year (other was Valencia).

So he has to count the 0 points from Indy as one of his 5 best optionals for the next year rather than one where he scored points.

Ahh thanks! But why is it that Cincinatti is replacing his 200 points from Marseille rather than just replacing the 5 points from last year? :confused:

Very solid match from Andy today after a slow start - had Querrey on a string at the end and the American couldn't wait to get off court.

Next up, Tursunov in R3, who took care of Gasquet. Andy has a very good record against Tursunov.

Yeh, 1st set had me worried initially, but once he settled into the match he was in total control - shudda been a bagel IMO :devil: 4-0 vs Tursunov so no reason he should lose, and then if Davydenko cant pull his match around, Andy has a great shot at making SF :eek:

NinaNina19
07-31-2008, 01:20 AM
Ahh thanks! But why is it that Cincinatti is replacing his 200 points from Marseille rather than just replacing the 5 points from last year? :confused:Because the points from Cincinatti 2007 still haven't been taken off and they won't be for another 2 weeks. Cincinatti is played earlier than usually this year because of the Olympics. The points for Andy's 5th best optional have been taken off temporarily.

Corey Feldman
07-31-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm praying for a Andy-Fed semi final here

would be a one nice highlight of a season to forget for my faves so far

the stagger from the ranking points messes with my head as well

and ANdy losing a helluva lotta points this week because of it :(

scoobs
07-31-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm praying for a Andy-Fed semi final here

would be a one nice highlight of a season to forget for my faves so far

the stagger from the ranking points messes with my head as well

and ANdy losing a helluva lotta points this week because of it :(
It's annoying and the zero pointer doesn't help cos it temporarily costs him 200 I think but it's all back on in a week's time so never mind.

Corey Feldman
07-31-2008, 01:46 AM
yes but you never what being that extra few seeds lower at the Olympics might do to him - or how his draw will pan out :banghead:

but he is looking good for top8 seed come US Open

murray_2k8
07-31-2008, 09:42 AM
Because the points from Cincinatti 2007 still haven't been taken off and they won't be for another 2 weeks. Cincinatti is played earlier than usually this year because of the Olympics. The points for Andy's 5th best optional have been taken off temporarily.

Oh yeh of course, thanks - sorry I'm so thick :lol:

yes but you never what being that extra few seeds lower at the Olympics might do to him - or how his draw will pan out :banghead:

but he is looking good for top8 seed come US Open

Hopefully he will still have a great draw, but its really unfortunate that this would happen before one of the biggest events :(

NinaNina19
07-31-2008, 01:43 PM

but he is looking good for top8 seed come US OpenHe will be top 8 seed by Olympics as Roddick isn't playing.

scoobs
07-31-2008, 08:15 PM
NICE performance from Andy today - 3 and 3, 1 hour 10 minutes - good to get it done and out of that brutal heat and humidity as fast as possible.

Plus, he got into his stride and played some great tennis. Dima is now pigeoned :)

07-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Good job Andy :) But he won't be playing Roger this Tournament because Roger was defeated by Karlovic today :)

scoobs
07-31-2008, 09:53 PM
Looks like Moya will be next.

Corey Feldman
07-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Andy really unleashed on so many shots today, it was a joy to behold :yeah: and i think he can get even better and more consistant

i am officialy excited about his future again!

scoobs
07-31-2008, 10:58 PM
Andy's development in terms of how he plays his matches has been so steady and slow that it's largely gone unremarked.

But he hits the ball harder in his normal rallies now as a matter of course - he is more prepared to dictate the point rather than wait each point out.

His serve can still be up and down but it's getting more and more pop on it when it is working and the second serve is used more intelligently as a rule.

He's found much more assuredness on the forehand lately too, landing winners with it and being aggressive off it, which he never really used to do.

His game is still developing and he's still learning how best to use it.

Today was mighty impressive though - he still did everything that gets under Dima's skin but he did so without spending ages out on court - just 70 minutes to wrap it up. That's just smart in those conditions.

There's always the prospect he'll have some sort of blowback against Moya or perhaps in the SFs but I hope not.

Either way, in his last "free" mandatory where he has nothing to defend from last year, he's again making good use of it.

Should be firmly entrenched in the top 10 now anyway - and Blake's loss, Roddick's no-play and other results have all been very favourable this week.

Corey Feldman
07-31-2008, 11:18 PM
dont you just feel its time another big event went to someone not named Nadal or Djokovic

and this is the time Muzza

scoobs
07-31-2008, 11:21 PM
dont you just feel its time another big event went to someone not named Nadal or Djokovic

and this is the time Muzza
I would like to feel that and I would love it to be Muzza - I'm just not counting those chickens yet - he has started to kick on again in the last month or so but I'm not quite sure he's "there" yet.

nkp2
07-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Murray will be 6th if he makes the final or wins. If he does better than Ferrer and Davy at the Olympic and US Open, he could well be 4th after then..... Fantastic.

decrepitude
08-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Keep going, Andy. Don't falter against Moya!

I'm upset that he is first on court, right in the heat of the day. Hopefully his improved fitness will see him through.

Re the points stagger - yes, it's annoying at the moment, but just think of all those points coming back on without him having to lift a racquet!

scoobs
08-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Keep going, Andy. Don't falter against Moya!

I'm upset that he is first on court, right in the heat of the day. Hopefully his improved fitness will see him through.

Re the points stagger - yes, it's annoying at the moment, but just think of all those points coming back on without him having to lift a racquet!
Actually for a day session, first up is best - the hottest part of the day will be 3 - 5 pm and Andy should be done by then.

He was never going to get the night session match and in Moya's situation he doesn't want to be on first, less recovery time from his two matches.

So I think for Andy the only major downside is the "sleepy head" syndrome he can bring when he has the first match on court.

08-01-2008, 08:43 PM
No fear Andy won :) But his next Match is against Karlovic. Who has done well in this Tournament to say the least.

scoobs
08-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Sleepy head syndrome did strike but he shook it off...just in time!!! :help: and turned it around very quickly...20 minutes after looking like he'd be a set a double break down, it looked like Murray would cruise to the win.

Karlovic is going to be TOUGH. It would be a shame if Andy lost that match but I can't underestimate Ivo this week. If he serves lights out like he has been doing, Andy will have very few chances and will have to be as sharp as ever to take his few chances.

decrepitude
08-02-2008, 07:48 PM
:worship::worship::worship:

He heard you, Scoobs. Magnificent.

He will need to play just as well in the final, whichever opponent it is.

08-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Andy won 6-4 and 6-4 :D But I think his knee is still bothering him :sad: I saw him do a deep knee bend and then when he got up he flexed the knee a couple of times.

scoobs
08-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Andy won 6-4 and 6-4 :D But I think his knee is still bothering him :sad: I saw him do a deep knee bend and then when he got up he flexed the knee a couple of times.
The knee does bother him from time to time - as he says, it's unlikely to get worse as it's a very long-standing condition that he has to manage - but he does have to manage it and from time to time in the middle of a match, he'll feel it, especially if he does an awkward move.

I don't think it's going to be a major factor either way right now.

He played superbly today, his returning was outstanding and after a slow start his tactics were pretty much spot on to end up making Karlovic look very average, not to mention deflated.

That was far easier than I expected and I love the way he took his first Masters Series final spot with such assuredness, sometimes it's not easy when you're the one who's expected to come through a draw when it opens up, but he handled the whole thing so well.

Very satisfying.

Jelena_78
08-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Well done Andy!!! :banana:

Corey Feldman
08-02-2008, 11:55 PM
proud of him :yeah:

last 3 events:

-Grand Slam Qf
-Win over Nole
-TMS Final

Guavacapps
08-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Good job, Andy!! :yeah:

Did anyone else catch him saying "use your legs, Andy" and "that was rubbish, Andy" against Moya?? :lol:

08-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Well it looks like he will be playing Nole again :scared: Nole took Rafa apart in the 1st Set 6-1 and the last score I saw was on the verge of winning the 2nd Set. Can Andy beat him twice in a row? I hope so because I really don't like Nole :ras:

08-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Yes it is Nole :ras: he won the 2nd Set 7-5:crying2: But to look on the bright side I don't have to have a Match where Andy and Rafa are playing each other :D (That's about the only bright side I can find because as I said I really, really, don't like Nole. May be his head will be so swelled up after defeating Rafa he will have a poor Match against Andy).

*Raine
08-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Uhmm, I like Nole :) (in fact he's my fave). But I like Andy too, so for the two of them facing, I'm a bit torn.

Good luck to Andy :D.

Oksan4ik
08-03-2008, 11:08 AM
very glad of Andy's final :cool: now this Nole...:o:o don't like him...
C'mon,Andy!Complete ur work in Cinci!

Aenea
08-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi guys :wavey:

Good luck to Andy in the final. I believe with the right tactics and no slump in mentality he can beat Novak. I hope he does it today and wins his first Masters title.

Go Andy

potres
08-03-2008, 02:07 PM
good luck to andy tonight! i hope that he can do it ;)

Rafalover15
08-03-2008, 07:34 PM
come on andy make me proud

neenah
08-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Andy broken serving for the match :(

*Ljubica*
08-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Just wanted to say congrats to Andy and his fans. I am sad but he was the better player tonight, and deserved to win.

savesthedizzle
08-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Congrats Andy fans!! :) He's been playing great tennis since Wimbledon and really deserved a big title to show for it :yeah:

He'll be a force at the USO :speakles: I hope he's nowhere near Novak in the draw :lol:

Enjoy today :bounce: :wavey:

Getta
08-03-2008, 09:44 PM
He did it! Andy has just won his first TMS title! :banana: :banana: :banana:

neenah
08-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Rose and Jess! :D :hug:

I came here to give my congrats to Andy too. This tournament really made me a fan of him, so I'll probably be back :)

08-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Annnnnnnddddddddyyyyyyyyy :yeah: What a great win :yippee: :banana: :dance: :rocker:
:rocker2: :aparty: :woohoo:

08-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Rose and Jess! :D :hug:

I came here to give my congrats to Andy too. This tournament really made me a fan of him, so I'll probably be back :)
Welcome to Andy's Forum :wavey: And I do hope you will come back :D

Oksan4ik
08-03-2008, 09:59 PM
omg,i'm sooooo happy!!!!HE WON!!!!!!!!!!:bounce::bounce::woohoo::woohoo:
:woohoo::banana::banana::rocker:
:rocker::rocker2::rocker2:
ANDY!!!U'RE THE BEST!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL YOU,GUYS!!!:hug::hug::hug:

Corey Feldman
08-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I AM SOOOOO DELIGHTED!!! :D

about 4 nights ago i felt as depressed as i can remember about a tennis result - turns out its probably the most historic tennis week i will ever remember :woohoo:

:yeah: to us Muzztards

scoobs
08-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Well done Andy.

That was TOUGH out there - conditions again tough and Novak is dangerous - even when not at his best he still made that hard work - well done to him.

Andy, you little beauty :yeah:

Corey Feldman
08-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Hata's silenced!!

remember the days (not so long ago i guess :angel:) MTF taunted us in here about him

-not winning anything big or even in a final
-never reaching a slam qf
-never beating Nole

and he manned up big time since W :yeah:

scoobs
08-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Hata's silenced!!

remember the days (not so long ago i guess :angel:) MTF taunted us in here about him

-not winning anything big or even in a final
-never reaching a slam qf
-never beating Nole

and he manned up big time since W :yeah:
He really has manned up - and now he's answered a ton of questions - been to an AMS final and won it, slam QF, 2 wins over Djokovic and 1 over Gasquet from the old "can't beat his generation" yaya.

Temperament much better, shotmaking generally more aggressive, fitness vastly improved - Cincy is a TOUGH place to win and it's not like he came here fresh as it is, and he looked the fresher between him and Novak at the end.

He's taken a very big step in the right direction.

green25814
08-03-2008, 10:25 PM
MUUUUUUZZZZAAAA! :rocker2:

:worship:

Jelena_78
08-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Congratulations Andy!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I'm happy for him! Great last couple of weeks , he so much deserved to lift his first (of many) Masters Series trophy! :worship: :clap2:

decrepitude
08-03-2008, 10:33 PM
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
:worship::worship::worship::worship:

I am totally exhausted after that, but with a smile as wide as the Nile Delta.

neenah
08-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Welcome to Andy's Forum :wavey: And I do hope you will come back :D

Thanks. :) I'm back already :p

I'm just very happy for Andy. I'm a fan of Nole too, but I'm glad Andy got his first Masters title. Many more to come for both I hope. :)

Alex999
08-04-2008, 12:00 AM
I just wanted to congratulate to Murray and all his fans this fantastic win. Well done Murray :worship:. As a Nole fan I'm sad but ... great win for Muzza.

cath777
08-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Congrats to Andy on his first Masters shield, hopefully the first of many :yeah:

Corey Feldman
08-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Hey ALex... long time no see from you :wavey:

i noticed how hmm... underwhelmed Andy always seems when he beats Fed, Roddick and now Nole

but now he will start believing he belongs!

Alex999
08-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Hey ALex... long time no see from you :wavey:

i noticed how hmm... underwhelmed Andy always seems when he beats Fed, Roddick and now Nole

but now he will start believing he belongs!
He does. He is clearly stronger right now than both Roger and Nole. If he could figure out Rafa ... :worship:. I know you don't like Novak, but that's cool with me because you are a funny smart guy :). Cheers my friend :wavey:

Corey Feldman
08-04-2008, 01:23 AM
:hug: mate

TBH, i dont feel he is stronger yet than those 2 .. because he needs to prove it in a GS - the very highest level

but least we have hope for the future!

Aenea
08-04-2008, 06:13 AM
Congrats to Andy and to all of his fans :wavey:

I was sure he could win this match. Andy is very promising and if he manages to stay injury free and toughen in mental department he may become a great player. I don't want him in Rafa's half of the draw in any tournament :p

All the best, Andy :)

Turquoise
08-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Congratulations to Murray and all his die-hard fans. Your man has done you really proud. It's wonderful to see the tangible improvements in his game over the past few months and the physical conditioning is also paying off. Much credit also goes to his coach. Good luck for Olympics and US Open.

scoobs
08-04-2008, 09:36 AM
:hug: mate

TBH, i dont feel he is stronger yet than those 2 .. because he needs to prove it in a GS - the very highest level

but least we have hope for the future!
Yep really that's the next step he needs to take. All eyes will be on him for the next two Slams to see if he can take another step up to the bigtime.

scoobs
08-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Amusingly, the people who seem most upset at all this are the Gasquet fans.

I don't want Richard to be inspired by a match in which the winner hit 16 (!) winners and 43 (!)unforced errors on a hard court.

It's a good job they're more keen on pretty tennis than successful tennis really cos it seems likely that's what they'll continue to get. :devil:

Getta
08-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Amusingly, the people who seem most upset at all this are the Gasquet fans.

It's a good job they're more keen on pretty tennis than successful tennis really cos it seems likely that's what they'll continue to get. :devil:

You're adding fuel to the fire. :p

scoobs
08-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I know. I know. I just found their petulance a little bit funny - would they really be sulking if that had been Gasquet there winning but playing an "ugly" match?

I have my doubts :)

wedda
08-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Just dropped by to congratulate you guys for a brilliant performance from Andy, a well deserved title. It is about time he won such a title, congratulations.

avocadoe
08-04-2008, 01:30 PM
woohoo but where's the interview?

decrepitude
08-04-2008, 02:30 PM
woohoo but where's the interview?
On the front page of the ATP website there is an interview - I don't know if that is the one you mean.

amdany
08-04-2008, 08:06 PM
:wavey:hello there, just to say congrats to Andy for his 1st AMS title, I hope there will be many more to follow because I like him a lot, and somehow, I've never posted here:confused::o
Anyway, congrats guys:)

NinaNina19
08-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Good job Andy!!!

08-04-2008, 08:41 PM
:wavey:hello there, just to say congrats to Andy for his 1st AMS title, I hope there will be many more to follow because I like him a lot, and somehow, I've never posted here:confused::o
Anyway, congrats guys:)
Welcome to Andy's Forum :wavey: And please come back often :D

amdany
08-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Welcome to Andy's Forum :wavey: And please come back often :D

Thank you, I'll try to be a regular poster here then:D, I'm Hamdanie, by the way:wavey:

neenah
08-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Thank you, I'll try to be a regular poster here then:D, I'm Hamdanie, by the way:wavey:

Hi Hamdanie, we meet again in a new forum. We must like a lot of the same players :p

amdany
08-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi Hamdanie, we meet again in a new forum. We must like a lot of the same players :p

hahaha, yeah I think so;)