The Indianapolis draw is out:

(5 - WC) Haas Tommy - Levine Jesse
Isner John - Kendrick Robert
Pless Kristian - Becker Benjamin
(2) Simon Gilles - Mahut Nicolas
http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2008/419/mds.pdf

Brego
07-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Well like you said earlier Fran he doesn't have a lot of points to defend. Here's hoping he will have a great summer hardcourt season and do well at the Olympics.

Allez Gilles. :clap2:

Looking forward to seeing him play again. :)

Grenouille
07-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Gillou playing against Mahut... I don't like Gillou playing against a countryman.

Truc
07-12-2008, 09:56 AM
And I don't like him playing against Mahut in particular.
They really seem to get along very well with Gilles, both times I've seen him practice this year (Zagreb and Hamburg), it was with Nico and they were joking a lot together and having fun.

Mahut has had such a bad grass season, he must be quite low on confidence. But it's a very tough match for a first round after a break, 50-50 imo.

Brego
07-12-2008, 01:13 PM
They've never played before in a match but still ... Gilles against another Frenchman is never good. :help: That whole section is tough.

tedlesurfeur
07-12-2008, 05:23 PM
I just wish he could meet Dima in the final :angel:

gambit84
07-12-2008, 08:14 PM
good draw...a piece of cake for him :rocker2:

vamooooosssss :rocker2:

Truc
07-13-2008, 04:21 PM
He plays doubles with Mahut. Nico is a great doubles player, maybe Gilles will win his 1st doubles match since Marseille!
They play Fisher-Phillips in the 1st round.

Brego
07-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Nico and Gilles will play their singles match
at about 15:30 EST on Monday.

Hopefully there will be some livestream somewhere.

Truc
07-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any livestream for Indy. That's too bad, it is so unusual to see him scheduled on the Center Court for a first-round match (unless he's playing a crowd favorite or a local player)! Even in the very French friendly Casablanca event, he was playing on outside courts for all his first rounds.

Truc
07-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Wow, 4 games in a row to take the set 6-2, and he didn't even face a BP by closing out the set, I'm impressed! I was expecting the usual struggle, all the more since he has horrible 1st serve stats so far (33%). ^^

Truc
07-14-2008, 08:48 PM
4-3* Nico, Gilles is doing a good job to hold his service games despite of these atrocious stats, but can't he get a 1st serve into the box from time to time?? This is going to end up badly!

Truc
07-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Broken to love, 5-3.

Aaargh, 6-3, although Nico tried his best to choke and double-faulted at 30-30.

Truc
07-14-2008, 09:34 PM
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/verschiedene/d015.gif Small struggle to hold at 3-3, but he holds. This match is making me nervous.
The serve stats are looking more normal now (but still very average, around 50%). We need a little help from Nico.

Truc
07-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Oh, I just needed to ask? *5-3, now PLEASE PLEASE serve out that stupid match.

Truc
07-14-2008, 09:43 PM
:worship:

Becker next. Absolutely forbidden to lose to him, Poussin, I would have tolerated a loss to Nico, but not Benji!

gambit84
07-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Gillu rocks :rocker2:

unfortunately I didn't watch the match but hope to can watch him on eurosport friday :rocker2:

very happy :D

Brego
07-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Gillu rocks :rocker2:

unfortunately I didn't watch the match but hope to can watch him on eurosport friday :rocker2:

very happy :D

Yeah I couldn't watch it either but came back to find he had won.

Hope you get to watch him on Eurosport on Friday.

Thanks for your play-by-play of the match Fran. :)

Truc
07-15-2008, 06:45 AM
Wow, there even are a few quotes of Gillou in the articles, that's another premiere! He doesn't mention his serve. Well, that's the only thing I could see on the SB and it was driving me nuts to see "2nd serve" every time Gilles was serving!

"Second-seeded Gilles Simon won his debut match, outlasting Nicolas Mahut 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.
"I wanted to play on Tuesday, but they said that was impossible," said the 25th-ranked Frenchman. "I did not expect to play my best match today. So I just did my best."
Simon's best pushed him into Wednesday's second round, where he will play Benjamin Becker of Germany. Becker swept Kristian Pless of Denmark, 6-3, 6-4.
Simon and Mahut spent much of their match battling in long baseline volleys. Simon scored points when he went to his backhand.
"The first set was a great set for me. I was feeling good on the court. The second set was really hard. Every shot was hard to play. I was feeling the heat," Simon said.
Simon said he's in the United States to adapt to the heat and humidity and to get accustomed to the courts in preparation for the masters tournaments. He plans to play at Toronto and Cincinnati before heading for the Olympics, then returning to the U.S."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/tennis/07/14/simon.indy.ap/index.html?section=si_latest

Truc
07-15-2008, 07:24 AM
He really could improve his stamina, it happens way too often he's exhausted after one set, even if it was very hot. That seems so much easier to improve than his netgame.
At least his record against Frenchies is starting to look decent now! He's beaten the ones he's supposed to beat lately, also got that lucky win over Jo in Rom...

It will be his first match against Becker.

1st round in doubles today, let's hope Nico wants to make up for his loss (he entered the MD of Toronto, so he doesn't need to go there for the qualies.)

Puschkin
07-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Simon and Mahut spent much of their match battling in long baseline volleys.

:eek: Long baseline volleys? :confused:

Truc
07-15-2008, 07:43 AM
I had the same reaction first and I looked up "volley" in my dictionary, I guess it's in the sense of "1. the simultaneous discharge of a number of missiles or firearms - 2. a burst or outpouring of many things at once or in quick succession"? :shrug:

Puschkin
07-15-2008, 08:08 AM
I had the same reaction first and I looked up "volley" in my dictionary, I guess it's in the sense of "1. the simultaneous discharge of a number of missiles or firearms - 2. a burst or outpouring of many things at once or in quick succession"? :shrug:
:rolls: fine explanation, but not necessarily the meaning of volley in "tennis-speak".

jitterbug
07-15-2008, 08:15 AM
That Gilles article made the home page of Sydney Morning Herald, I'm impressed :rolls: I also found it funny that the title is "Number two seed Gilles wins Indianapolis". Aside from the fact that, conventionally, he should be referred to as Simon, the headline also made it sound like he won the whole tournament :lol: Atta boy :hatoff:

tedlesurfeur
07-15-2008, 09:42 AM
only 3 to go now :devil:

Truc
07-15-2008, 12:33 PM
:rolls: fine explanation, but not necessarily the meaning of volley in "tennis-speak".I know the usual sense of "volley" in tennis, of course, but what does "volley" mean in that sentence then? Is it just a mistake?
I liked my explanation, it made sense with the "battling".

I've found an article about Gilles called "Slow road to stardom" - nice understatement. :lol: I'm going to post it in the other thread.

Kolya
07-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Phew to get past Mahut...

Brego
07-15-2008, 02:55 PM
He really could improve his stamina, it happens way too often he's exhausted after one set, even if it was very hot.

He desperately needs to improve his stamina. He seems to get tired so quickly and you're right it's one of the things he could easily improve if he just commits to doing it. It will give him more confidence on the court as well. I think it has improved Andy Murray's game. Remember what his fitness was like.

1st round in doubles today, let's hope Nico wants to make up for his loss (he entered the MD of Toronto, so he doesn't need to go there for the qualies.)

They will be playing at the same time Frank is playing - 12:00 EST - so I can follow both of them at the same time. :)

Simon and Mahut spent much of their match battling in long baseline volleys.

I'm sure it was a mistake and they meant to put long baseline rallies. The two words being similiar sounding so it's easy to get them mixed up.

Puschkin
07-15-2008, 07:16 PM
I know the usual sense of "volley" in tennis, of course, but what does "volley" mean in that sentence then? Is it just a mistake?
I liked my explanation, it made sense with the "battling".

I liked it too. :wavey: I hope you did not misunderstand my :rolls:

Truc
07-16-2008, 06:43 AM
No no, I'm aware it was a bit silly! :lol: I thought of something like "salves de fond de court", you know. :angel: But we'll go with Mary's explanation, thanks!

They lost in doubles (6-4 6-4) - but 0 ace, it looks like Nico didn't do his job either.

I don't know what will happen with the last doubles spot for the Olympics after Jo's withdrawal.
Dominguez says in L'Equipe they're going to talk with Paulo, Gaël and Gilles about it. But it's not possible to build a decent doubles team with these 3, none of them can play doubles and Paulo and Gaël also can't team up. :shrug:

Puschkin
07-16-2008, 08:14 AM
I don't know what will happen with the last doubles spot for the Olympics after Jo's withdrawal.
Dominguez says in L'Equipe they're going to talk with Paulo, Gaël and Gilles about it. But it's not possible to build a decent doubles team with these 3, none of them can play doubles and Paulo and Gaël also can't team up. :shrug:

:topic: But Llodra/Clément are sure, no?

Truc
07-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Yes, Llodra-Clément have a wild-card, they're sure to play.
I was talking about the 2nd French doubles team which was supposed to be Jo-Gaël. They have to pick players who have qualified in singles, that's the rule, they can't nominate Mahut, Benneteau, Santoro... and all the other French players who are much better doubles players than the ones who have qualified!
I don't know what they will do. Dominguez says he'll talk with the players and take a decision until the 23rd of July. I doubt Paulo and Gaël get along well enough to team up, but Gilles in doubles :help:...

Grenouille
07-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Why can't Paulo and Gaël play doubles together ?

Anyway, who care about doubles ?

Truc
07-16-2008, 12:19 PM
OK, the Simon forum was not the right place to post that since doubles are not important for him.
But I do like doubles at the Olympics and I find it too bad they now have that stupid situation in the team. I loved the doubles matches in Athens, I found it more fun than the singles event, actually, because it had a different feel.

As for Gaël and Paulo, I don't think they get along very well after the Champion story at the end of last year. But never mind - maybe France will decide to send only Clément-Llodra in doubles anyway.

Brego
07-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Do they show a lot of Olympic tennis on the European sports stations?

I don't remember seeing any here at the last Olympics.

Allez Gilles for today. I probably won't be able to watch it. :sad:

Truc
07-16-2008, 07:48 PM
We had a good coverage in 2004 in Germany because there were several channels showing the Olympics 24/24. It will be different this year, so I don't know if we'll see a lot of tennis.
The doubles final was so dramatic, the Chileans were crazy, Kiwi was devastated... It was great fun!

So, all my boys have lost today, I want a win tonight! :rocker2:
Nice start, he breaks, gets broken and breaks again... ^^

Truc
07-16-2008, 08:20 PM
His service games are such a pain to follow again!
He managed to keep his break during the whole set somehow, serves for the set, leads 40-0, double-faults and BB wins 4 points in a row...

Aaaaargh, rebreak, 5-5. :(

And re-rebreak. ^^ Thanks God he returns well.

Easy hold to 15 this time, 7-5.

Truc
07-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Broken, *3-1 BB.

Gosh, Benji is cruising at the moment.

:o He didn't stand a chance in the 2nd set. Not one single BP. Let's hope BB won't keep the momentum...

Truc
07-16-2008, 09:10 PM
3-0*. :)

*4-0 after a never-ending game, I hope losing that one will have "finished off" Benji.

Bobble
07-16-2008, 09:25 PM
nice finish

Truc
07-16-2008, 09:26 PM
A bagel?? :eek:
Now let's cross fingers he will be on TV on Friday. Eurosport will show 2 quarters, I guess.

Good job, Gillou! :worship:

Grenouille
07-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah

gambit84
07-16-2008, 10:19 PM
our hero :worship::worship::worship::worship:

ready to win USOpen :rocker2:

Brego
07-17-2008, 01:17 AM
:woohoo: I'm glad he won.

Tommy Haas next.

Truc
07-17-2008, 06:00 AM
The joke of the day:
Serve-and-volley game gets Simon to quarterfinals at Indianapolis (http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/story/10899720/rss)

Seriously, it must have been some really ugly performance if even he says: "I just tried to put the ball inside. Nothing more". :o
INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (AFP) - Gilles Simon was puzzling over his own French paradox after defeating German Benjamin Becker 7-5, 3-6, 6-0 to reach the quarter-finals of the ATP Indianapolis Tennis Championships.

"I honestly don't know what happened on court during the second set which I lost and the third which I won," said the number 25 who moved into his fifth last-eight appearance of the season.

The winner of three career titles including Casablanca on clay in May, remains in the chase for his first career trophy on hardcourt.

But Simon can't understand how he got through on a hot afternoon in the Midwest. "It was not a great match for either of us, the level was not good.

"But between the second set and the third, I didn't find anything new on the court. My level remained the same, I don't understand how I won."

Simon and Becker worked for nearly two hours in steaming conditions, with the French seed breaking six times and firing eight aces while dropping his own serve three times.

"I hope the next round is easier," said Simon, who admitted he had trouble controlling the ball. "I had to really focus on every shot.

"It's tough when you are not in control of the ball. But if I can't play better in the next round, at least I hope I can win it."

The Frenchman, who lost in the Wimbledon third round to compatriot Richard Gasquet and then took a fortnight off, said he was shaky on serve.

"It went off a bit turning my time away. I'll put in some training tomorrow and hopefully be ready on Friday."http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/16072008/3/french-second-seed-simon-advances-indy-tennis.html

Truc
07-17-2008, 06:03 AM
(...) Haas will play second-seeded Gilles Simon in Friday’s quarterfinals.

“You don’t think he has a lot of power when you look at him, he’s skinny and small,” Haas said. “But he does have some speed in his ground strokes as well. He runs the balls down and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. It really comes down to how I play. I have to be aggressive and solid and take my chances.”

Simon advanced by beating Germany’s Benjamin Becker 7-5, 3-6, 6-0 in the afternoon session.

“Maybe if you keep winning, you can play your best tennis is semifinals and final,” Simon said. “So it’s nice to be in quarterfinal.”

Simon said he did improve his first serve percentage from his first match. Simon made 51 percent of his first serves

“(Today) I will spend a half-hour more on the court on my serve and try to reach 60 percent,” he said.

Gilles Simon wouldn't want anyone to form an opinion of his game from Wednesday's match.

"I don't think it was a great match for both of us," he said. "When it's hot like this, it's really hard to control the ball. We're just trying to do our best."

"I just tried to focus on every shot because every shot is very hard to make. I tried to fight and not be nervous. When easy shots are going three meters out, it's hard to keep going like this."

Simon said the balls are flying with the tournament's fast courts and the temperature in the high 80s.

Simon said he hasn't seen anyone play really well this week. "I think the players can play better, but you have to play with it," he said. "It's part of the game."http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080716/SPORTS/80716046/1004/SPORTS

jitterbug
07-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Quarterfinals! :hearts:

Good luck against Tommy :unsure:

Truc
07-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Yes, he won't be the favourite against Tommy, especially if he's playing ugly tennis like he says he is.
Their h2h:
2006 Halle T.HAAS 6-4 7-5
2006 Cincinnati T.HAAS 6-3 4-6 6-4

At least it will nice on the eye!
(I hope they won't give Haasi a night session because they consider him as a half-American, a match between two Europeans has to be on Eurosport...)

jitterbug
07-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Did I read that headline right? Serve-and-volley? Really? :o

Truc
07-17-2008, 07:54 AM
:lol: He says himself he just tried to keep the ball in play, so he definitely didn't play serve&volley! And he had horrible serve stats again.
Even some French articles copied that non-sense, I can understand US websites don't see it's BS because they don't know him, but French tennis websites should realize it's obviously a mistake!
Like when they copied last time the article of the ATP mixing up his serve stats and those of Groth...

Grenouille
07-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Are you sure it will be broadcasted because I couldn't see anything on eurosport.fr ...

Truc
07-17-2008, 08:06 AM
It's on Eurosport 2 in Germany. 18:30-22:15 on Friday.

Bobble
07-17-2008, 05:47 PM
on the Tennis Channel 1230 est. as well if anyone from the states is interested

Truc
07-18-2008, 08:59 PM
“I was more aggressive and hit the ball harder,” Simon said of the final two sets. “I think why I win the match is I hit my returns well because Tommy serves well. He has a second serve that is hard to read.”
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080718/SPORTS/80718040

I quite agree with him, since MTF doesn't want to give him any credit, :p he was by far not playing great tennis, but I did like his returns and his mental strength in the 2nd set when he broke back immediately and finally took that set, it was not just Haas completely losing it at that time of the match.
Poor serve stats again, though (under 50% in the first 2 sets - he said he would try to reach the 60% today!)

Querrey next, it will be their first match. Only delayed coverage of the semi and the final on Eurosport (and I doubt they will pick his semi here).

Acer
07-19-2008, 01:31 AM
I quite agree with him, since MTF doesn't want to give him any credit, :p

Poor underrated Gilles

Truc
07-19-2008, 06:52 AM
In l'Equipe today:Simon à la dure
Le Français s’acclimate difficilement à la chaleur, mais patience et audace lui ont rapporté une place en demi-finales.

APRÈS AVOIR BATTU Nicolas Mahut au premier tour, et avant de dominer hier Tommy Haas en quarts de finale, Gilles Simon, tête de série no 2 grâce au meilleur classement de sa carrière (25e), avait éliminé Benjamin Becker dans des conditions intenses : « À la fin du match, Becker est venu vers moi en rigolant. Il m’a dit : “ C’est moi, ou c’est impossible de jouer ici ?” » Il faisait 40 oC ! D’ailleurs, depuis le début, Blake joue à la fraîche à 19 heures tandis que, moi, je joue à 15 heures en plein cagnard. Mais bon, je suis venu là pour ça. » Pour en baver. Pour aborder les Masters Series de Toronto et Cincinnati, puis les JO de Pékin et l’US Open dans les meilleures conditions possibles : « Je sais par expérience qu’il faut au moins dix jours pour s’acclimater. Après Wimbledon, j’ai choisi de faire un break. Je me suis reposé pour couper la saison en deux et, si je vais au bout, cela prouvera que j’ai fait le bon choix en renonçant aux tournois européens sur terre battue. »
Hier, Gilles Simon a bien failli passer à la trappe : « Haas menait 6-4, 3-1, break. Je n’étais pas bon, j’avais du mal à retourner, il était passé au-dessus. Et là, je me suis relâché, j’ai réussi trois super retours, j’ai débreaké, fait un super jeu avec de beaux échanges du fond pour revenir à 3-3. Et c’est moi qui suis passé au-dessus. » Haas n’a jamais pu s’en remettre. Simon dit qu’il a eu « de la chance », mais précise sa pensée : « Dans le sens où j’ai su faire les bons coups aux bons moments, mais c’est vrai que mon niveau n’est pas top. Je suis tout seul (Thierry Tulasne est en vacances), je suis frustré, mais mon tennis revient un petit peu chaque jour. Je garde ma ligne de conduite, je ne pète pas les plombs. Le fait d’être 25e, ça aide, ça joue sur la confiance. Mes adversaires se crispent et, moi, je suis détendu. »
Le sera-t-il encore face à Querrey aujourd’hui pour essayer de décrocher sa place en finale ? « Ici, personne ne joue bien, en fait. Ce qui est dur, c’est de contrôler la balle, surtout en retour. Si je continue à bien retourner, peu importe qui j’affronte. Querrey, je ne l’ai jamais joué. On verra bien, mais en tout cas, je suis frais dans ma tête. » C’est déjà ça. – D. B. A simplified translation:

Simon the hard way
He has troubles adapting to the heat, but patience and audacity brought him to the semi-final.
"At the end of our 2nd round match, Becker came to the net laughing and told me: 'Is it me or is it just impossible to play here?' It was 40°C! Blake has been playing every day at 19 o'clock when the temperatures have cooled down, while I've been playing since the beginning at 15 o'clock in the blazing sun. But never mind, that's the reason why I came here." To have a tough time and get ready for the next tournaments. "I know by experience one needs at least 10 days to adapt. I decided to take some time off after Wimbledon before the start of the second half of the season. If I make it to the final stage here, it will prove I did the right choice when I gave up on the European clay tournaments."
But he almost lost yesterday. "Haas was leading 6-4 3-1. I was not good, I was not returning well, he had the edge. Then I managed to relax, I played 3 great returns, I broke back and I played a great game with nice baseline rallies to come back at 3-3. From then on I was having the edge."
Haas never recovered from it. Simon admits he was "lucky", though: "I was able to play the right shots at the right time, but it's true my level of game is not high. I'm alone here [Tulasne still is on vacation], I'm frustrated, but my tennis is coming back slowly day by day. I stick to my line of conduct, I don't implode. Being ranked #25 helps, it's a matter of confidence. My opponents get tight and I'm relax."
"Actually, nobody is playing well here. It's tough to control the ball, especially in return. If I keep returning well, my opponent doesn't matter. I've never played against Querrey. We'll see, but whatever happens, I'm cool/fresh in my mind."

Brego
07-19-2008, 02:15 PM
I haven't really been able to watch/follow any of the matches this week (and will miss today's:crying2:) so I'm so grateful for everybody's comments and contributions to this past week's matches.

Fran thanks for representing us in GM. I'm too afraid to comment there. :scared:

Allez Gillou for today's match.

jitterbug
07-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Poussin could play Federer in Toronto R2 :mad: and Ernests is in there too. I'm jinxed!

(1) Roger FEDERER (SUI) vs BYE
Gilles SIMON (FRA) vs Q
Ernests GULBIS (LAT) vs Jose ACASUSO (ARG)
(14) Fernando GONZALEZ (CHI) vs Julien BENNETEAU (FRA)

jitterbug
07-19-2008, 07:35 PM
... and nobody cares that Gilles is in the Indy finals? :scratch: Where is everyone?

Truc
07-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I just came back home, but it's probably better I was not home to follow that.
The French websites say he was leading 4-2 in the 2nd set? And everybody is saying in GM it was so brutally hot and they looked like they were about to faint - I hardly feel like celebrating, I just hope he'll be fine tomorrow. Why couldn't he just hold in the 2nd set? :sobbing: And that draw in Toronto...

English posters could see the match apparently, was it on Eurosport? :confused: Did anybody here see the match?

jitterbug
07-19-2008, 08:26 PM
I think it was on TTC starting from the semis.

40 degrees Celcius, pffft - I'd die if I walk in that temperature! I can't imagine playing tennis in that kind of heat :scared: you're a tough little man, Poussin.

Truc
07-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Aren't you used to that kind of temperatures in Malaysia and Australia? But it must have been really, really tough for Gilles indeed because he isn't.

I so need to see a video of the highlights, people keep mentioning some winners of Gilles in the 3rd set, it feels a bit weird! Congrats Gillou for that double achievement - great fight after a bad choke AND getting your winners mentioned in GM! :lol: :worship:

jitterbug
07-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Aren't you used to that kind of temperatures in Malaysia and Australia? But it must have been really, really tough for Gilles indeed because he isn't.

I so need to see a video of the highlights, people keep mentioning some winners of Gilles in the 3rd set, it feels a bit weird! Congrats Gillou for that double achievement - great fight after a bad choke AND getting your winners mentioned in GM! :lol: :worship:

Nah, it's not THAT hot in Malaysia :lol: we average around 30-34 degrees, and we never walk anyway :scared: Too humid for that. It's car, car, car, air-conditioning everywhere.

Australia in summer could reach the high 30s, but it's usually nice and breezy so it's not really a problem. Though I once had to walk to the shops in 39-degree heat, I nearly melted - it was so hot!

Acer
07-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Oh my Gog! I want the title now.

tedlesurfeur
07-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Oh My God He Reached The Final

tedlesurfeur
07-19-2008, 09:32 PM
I think it was on TTC starting from the semis.

40 degrees Celcius, pffft - I'd die if I walk in that temperature! I can't imagine playing tennis in that kind of heat :scared: you're a tough little man, Poussin.

Oh well, that's how I played today though, when you have no choice, and no other possibility, you take whatever there is to have a chance to play, that is if you're addicted to tennis like me :lol:

I think I lost 5 kilos today :lol: but I think I drank just as much as I lost :lol: I feel like I drank too much though, my belly hurts :lol:

It's weird because I like playing in the heat only if I adjusted to it, because at first it's AWFUL, for real :sad: but then it's ok. And it is as painful for my opponent as it is for me :lol: but I'm more cautious, drinking and wearing a cap, so usually I win when it's really hot outside :lol:

tedlesurfeur
07-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Poussin could play Federer in Toronto R2 :mad: and Ernests is in there too. I'm jinxed!

(1) Roger FEDERER (SUI) vs BYE
Gilles SIMON (FRA) vs Q
Ernests GULBIS (LAT) vs Jose ACASUSO (ARG)
(14) Fernando GONZALEZ (CHI) vs Julien BENNETEAU (FRA)

I hadn't seen that :lol: indeed you are jinxed :lol:

Misha and Dima are in the same SF board.. but they will never meet in QF though :lol: anyway.. :sad: Kohl's draw is ok.

Acer
07-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Tursunov in the final :o

Truc
07-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Now you're a lucky guy, Ted! They have never played each other.

Gilles is still playing like crap according to himself.
The stats are pretty incredible, he had 19 BP against him and saved 16 of them?? :lol: 11 aces too.
Second-seeded Gilles Simon was able to outlast fourth-seeded Sam Querrey today in the Indianapolis Tennis Championships semifinals.

Simon won 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 in the first semifinal played in the heat.

After winning the first set, Simon was up 4-2 in the second set. But Querrey broke his serve to get back on serve.

“Sam was playing better than me,” Simon said.

But Simon knew he had one advantage in the third.

“I knew I had every chance to win because he looked tired,” Simon said. “That’s why I kept fighting until the end.”

With the score tied 4-4, Querrey had five break points on Simon’s serve but couldn’t convert. Querrey was 0-for-8 in break points in the final set and won just three of 19 overall.

“In the first breaks (of the third set), I played a good point every time,” Simon said. “At the end, I was just lucky because he was very aggressive”

Simon was pleased with the victory.

“It’s nice to play to this kind of match,” he said. “It was a match I will remember for a long time. It wasn’t not really a good match for me. The fight was unbelievable at the end.”
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080719/SPORTS/80719009/1004/SPORTS

Brego
07-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Ted you should be happy no matter what the outcome.

I like Dima but I'll be cheering for Gilles tomorrow.

What a great week he has being having.

I was a bit worried about Sam. I didn't think Gilles would get through but he did and he's in his first hardcourt final. :)

Toronto draw sucks big time. :mad:

Truc
07-20-2008, 07:20 AM
It looks like they're going to show his match in the replay on Eurosport at 9:30! :eek: The ES website says Simon-Querrey, why the hell did they pick that match over Blake-Tursunov - just because Poussin is European? :confused:
He keeps saying in interviews he was not playing well, so at least we know what to expect...

Truc
07-20-2008, 07:21 AM
"French little man Simon emerged the winner in a David-and-Goliath contest. (http://www.tennisindy.com/Dmitry.htm)" :lol:
As the first player to advance to the Indianapolis Tennis Championships final, Gilles Simon had to wait to find out his opponent.

The Frenchman, who made his Indianapolis tournament debut this year, had never played either James Blake or Dmitry Tursunov before, but preferred a meeting with the Russian.

It had nothing to do with their games because he had great respect for both.

"Playing a final against James in America must be so hard," Simon said. "It would be easier if it's Dmitry."

The second-seeded Simon got his wish. (...)

Simon's triumph over Querrey took 2 hours and 5 minutes. That tied a first-round match for the longest in the 2008 tournament.

"It was a match I will remember for a long time," Simon said.

Although Simon said he didn't play particularly well, "the fight was unbelievable at the end."

Simon broke Querrey's serve to take a 4-2 lead in the second set, but Querrey broke right back. Querrey then broke to take a 5-4 edge.

Simon said Querrey began playing better than him in the middle of the second set.

"I was down and out of it and I made a nice comeback," Querrey said.

But Simon knew he had one advantage in the third set.

"I knew I had every chance to win because he looked tired," Simon said. "That's why I kept fighting until the end."

With the score tied 4-all, Querrey had five break points on Simon's serve but couldn't convert.

Querrey was 0-for-8 in break points in the final set and won just three of 19 overall.

"I needed to win that game at 4-all. If I had done that, I might have had enough energy to serve it all at the end," Querrey said.

Simon said his only goal was to make the exhausted Querrey move.

"But he played some nice shots when he was far from the ball," Simon said.
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080720/SPORTS/807200374/1004/SPORTS

Truc
07-20-2008, 07:27 AM
And one can feel his excitement in the short interview for l’Equipe:
« J’ai été hors norme ! »
GILLES SIMON a savouré sa qualification en finale.
« COMMENT QUALIFIER cette victoire 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 sur Sam Querrey en demi-finale ?
– J’ai été hors norme ! J’ai mené 6-3, 4-2 et là, le soleil s’est ramené, et j’ai fait deux doubles fautes. Sam était agressif. Quand il m’a breaké à 4-4 pour revenir à une manche partout, le public s’est enflammé.
– Et au troisième set ?
–Ça a été un set de folie ! J’y ai sauvé 8 balles de break sur 8. Il montrait des signes de fatigue mais arrivait toujours à se sauver des situations difficiles. Et à 4-4, il mène 0-40 sur mon service, je sauve quatre balles de break dont une sur un coup de dingue que jamais je ne pourrai refaire : je le balade à droite et à gauche, il volleye, je le lobe, il écrase son smash décroisé et je sors un passing de revers court croisé gagnant ! J’étais survolté ! Mentalement, je suis solide. On va garder ça…
– Vous n’avez jamais affronté ni Blake, ni Tursunov (ils s’affrontaient la nuit dernière). Une préférence pour la finale ?
–Mieux vaudrait affronter Tursunov. Mais c’est ma cinquième finale, ma première sur dur. J’ai déjà deux titres sur terre battue, un indoor. Alors un quatrième titre, sur dur, face à Blake, aux États-Unis, ça ne serait pas mal. »- How would you describe the 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 win over Querrey in the semi-final?
- I was not ordinary! I was leading 6-3 4-2 and then the sun came and I made two df. Sam was aggressive. When he broke at 4-4 to come back at one set all, the crowd got fired up.
- And in the 3rd set?
- It was a crazy set! I saved 8 from 8 BP. He was showing signs of tiredness, but always managed to escape difficult situations. At 4-4, he has 0-40 on my serve, I save 4 BP, one from them was an incredible shot I will never be able to do again: I make him run left-right-left, he volleys, I play a lob, he smacks a big cross smash and I come out with a BH cross passing-shot! I was over-excited! I'm solid mentally. Let's retain that...
- You have never played against Blake and Tursunov. Any preference for the final?
- Tursunov would be better. But it's my 5th final, the 1st one on hardcourt. I have already 2 titles on clay, one indoors. So a 4th title in the States against Blake wouldn't be bad either.

Grenouille
07-20-2008, 08:06 AM
I don't really believe Gillou... He's not playing that bad otherwise he wouldn't have qualified for the final...
Anyway, good tournament with nice fights. It's good for self confidence. Tursunov will be tough to beat.

Bad draw in Toronto but Gillou never played against the big nose and it seems he would love to so that's an opportunity.

Truc
07-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Well, I've seen 2 matches of him and it's true he's not playing very well.
Of course he can play worse than that too, but he looked much better in Casablanca, for example, much, much more in control of his game. So many UE or harmless shots here...
He was lucky Querrey sucked too and tons of his shots were going 5 meters out.

The BH passing-shot everybody is talking about, even on the ATP website, was not THAT good, I'm a bit disappointed. :p Querrey's smash was quite poor. And you were not making Querrey run right-left-right-left in that point, Gilles, Querrey was! ^^

But what an awesome fight to save all these BP and what a finish. :worship:
I like how he switches into aggressive mode only when he has to save BP, it cracks me up. :lol:

tedlesurfeur
07-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Ted you should be happy no matter what the outcome.

I like Dima but I'll be cheering for Gilles tomorrow.

What a great week he has being having.

I was a bit worried about Sam. I didn't think Gilles would get through but he did and he's in his first hardcourt final. :)

Toronto draw sucks big time. :mad:

I'll be happy no matter what the outcome, don't worry :p I'm afraid you won't have the match you expect though.. because Gillou must be running out of juice, and Dima plays on his surface.. so I don't really know what to think, but I tend to believe it will be a one-way match, BUT I hope it won't be !! I want a beautiful match and fight !!

Toronto is no minor tournaments, so we kind of had to expect such a draw.. not easy for anyone :lol: I just sih Kohl beats Gasquet in second round :lol: that's all I'm asking. I never ask for too much, because it never gets real. When I don't expect anything from my players, they seem to play better :lol: Am I the only one in this situation ? :lol:

Gillou says he's been playing "not so well" all week, but it doesn't mean he's been playing like crap. And evidence is there, he's in the final. However I believe him when he says he's not playing so well because he knows he has played better in his life, with different conditions, a different surface..
If we consider the conditions he's playing in, he's playing more than ok, don't you think ??

I say this but I've only seen him play 6 games in Indianapolis, so I'm a poor judge over his game level :lol: please, feel free to enlighten me :worship:

Truc
07-20-2008, 10:33 AM
I think he's playing well for a first HC tournament after a break, but he is playing just average from the baseline for his standards imo, he's spot on in his comments.

Sometimes his game looks everything but flashy, but one can see why he makes his opponents play poorly. But this time it looked more like Haas and Querrey self-destructed. He deserves a lot of credit for hanging in there in both matches, but he didn't give me that feeling he was "deconstructing" Haasi' and Querrey's games like he sometimes does.

He really saved all these BP in style yesterday, though, with some great play, even at the net, so he's way above his average level in that regard.

I'm delighted by his performance anyway, don't get me wrong! I love the feeling he's making it to a HC final and can still step up his game from the baseline.

Truc
07-20-2008, 10:42 AM
As for his Toronto draw, it feels like a "déjà vu", I can see him go out in the 1st round against the qualifier... I just hope that he won't play Clément.
If he makes it to the 2nd round, he will probably be quite exhausted, not the best conditions for him to play that match against Federer he's been waiting for for a while now.
Anyway, I don't care that much, he has 3 more big events to come, he can take a well-deserved rest in Toronto.

Brego
07-20-2008, 05:11 PM
:woohoo: I've found a livestrem of ESPN2 coverage.

The commentator said Gilles nic name was "small." :rolls:

Truc
07-20-2008, 05:17 PM
I hadn't seen your post, which livestream are you watching? Mine is so small, I can't see anything.

jitterbug
07-20-2008, 05:52 PM
'Small' is probably a fraction more masculine than 'chick' :tape:

First set, 6-4! :aparty:

tedlesurfeur
07-20-2008, 06:39 PM
'Small' is probably a fraction more masculine than 'chick' :tape:

First set, 6-4! :aparty:

I'm quite impressed at how Gillou hangs on in there and make Dima go impatient

Grenouille
07-20-2008, 06:51 PM
6-4 6-4

Amazing

Had you told me that at the beginning of the week I wouldn't have believed it !

Good start !

jitterbug
07-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Indy champion! :woohoo: and he looked so bashful when the interviewer told him he's leading the US Open Series Race right now :lol:

Brego
07-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Great win Gilles. :worship:

Gilles is now France's 3rd ranked player as he surpassed Paulo this week. :)

Puschkin
07-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Congrats to Gilles and his fans. :D

Truc
07-20-2008, 07:41 PM
I think his ranking is a bit inflated because he still has the points of the clay events of last year (1/4 in Umag and 1/2 in Sopot). They will come off in the next weeks.

However, it's a great achievement for him - especially since we now know it's his "goal in tennis"! :lol:

Truc
07-20-2008, 08:39 PM
“Today was my best match. I didn’t have many unforced errors, I had a good serve," said Simon, who is expected to move to around a career-high No. 21. "That was the match I wanted to play. I was very close to playing my best tennis.

“It’s special for me because it’s not the kind of court I like best. I wanted to play a tournament just to get used to the court. This is a special win for me. It was really nice because every round I played a really good player. They were all good players with a big serve.

“Every time I played a break point, I played a nice point. You lose just one and you can lose the set. I don’t have a very good serve, so I know every match I’ll have to save some break points.”

Tursunov, who is now 4-2 lifetime in ATP finals, said: “When I had a break point, he played good and I made errors. He got the break early and put some pressure on me. I have to go for my shots, and there’s little margin of error. When I get nervous, it shows. I needed to stay in those points a little longer, but it’s a bit surprising how many balls he gets to. In the beginning of the first set I was trying to hit it pretty hard, but it seems like he feeds off your pace.”http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/indianapolis_sunday.asp
I love Tursunov's last comment.

jitterbug
07-21-2008, 01:13 AM
They have a whole thread on whether pushers could win a Grand Slam in GM :worship:

Acer
07-21-2008, 01:22 AM
They have a whole thread on whether pushers could win a Grand Slam in GM :worship:

:lol:
Anyway congrats guys, and Gilles of course.

Truc
07-21-2008, 06:42 AM
They have a whole thread on whether pushers could win a Grand Slam in GM :worship::cool:
The post saying Tursunov losing to Simon is worse than Safin losing to Whitehouse made me laugh out loud yesterday.

But all the Simon bashing really seems to be a MTF thing to me, I never read that kind of "pusher" BS on French boards, does he get so much shit on other websites too?
I don't read much on other boards because I already spend too much time here, but I'd say he just gets completely overlooked most of the time and when he isn't, people rather seem appreciative of his atypical game and of his achievements. Richard and Gaël get criticized too in France, for example, but the reactions to Gilles on French boards and on MTF seem so different to me. :shrug:

Here's the article in L'Equipe today, I found the comments of Tulasne in particular very interesting, summary in English is coming:
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8629/simonenapothosemi2.th.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8629/simonenapothosemi2.jpg)

Truc
07-21-2008, 06:49 AM
He says he arrived in Indianapolis in last minute without real preparation and the first rounds always are the toughest ones then. Once he had managed to win these first two matches and to reach the quarters, he was used to the conditions and really started to play for the title.
About the final: "I played really well, I had a good feeling. I was aggressive from the baseline, even though I wasn't as good as I wanted to in my attacking game. But it was by far my best match of the week."
It was his only one in 2 sets. "But I almost took even more pleasure in the other matches, when things were getting tough. I was thinking then: 'It doesn't matter, you're going to grind him out if you can't do it the other way.'"
He remembers the ugly beatdown he got in his first final in Valencia and says that this time he was for the first time completely relaxed before the final. "I felt no pressure. I was never afraid. Not even at 5-4 when I served for the match. No tension at all on matchpoint. Nothing. Tennis is a matter of mind. I won 6-4 6-4 saving 9 BP out of 9. That means I wasn't serving only aces, I was sometimes in trouble, but I was there on big points. He could also have won 6-4 6-4."
When the ATP stats specialist tells him he just saved 17 BP in a row, he exclaims: "I'm a champion!" :lol:
He couldn't get a plane ticket for Toronto yesterday, where Tulasne was waiting for him, but he means it doesn't matter as he feels a bit tired anyway and needs to rest before Toronto which is one of his goals. About his first round match he says: "I'm not getting overexcited and I will take this match very seriously, on the contrary, because I so badly want to play Mister Federer." (Fed is - together with Blake - the only top 10 player he hasn't played yet.)

Puschkin
07-21-2008, 06:50 AM
I don't read much on other boards because I already spend too much time here, but I'd say he just gets completely overlooked most of the time and when he isn't, people rather seem appreciative of his atypical game and of his achievements. Richard and Gaël get criticized too in France, for example, but the reactions to Gilles on French boards and on MTF seem so different to me. :shrug:

Sometimes it is better to ignore GM. I am sure most of the people over there have never seen Gilles play or followed his development. They hardly watch anyone apart from Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, on most of the other players they just repeat some crap comment heard years ago. Of course there are exceptions, but they are just confirming the rule.

Take all joy you can out of Gilles' success and forget about GM. :wavey:

Truc
07-21-2008, 06:57 AM
And Tulasne's reaction who arrived in Toronto yesterday (they say on the Indy website Gilles' parents were in Indy - I was wondering whom he was always looking at in the stands):

Thierry is nicely surprised because Indianapolis was only supposed to be a preparation tournament. When Gilles says he's frustrated and not playing very well, Thierry understands what he means because Gilles is able to play at a very high level in training. Especially with regard to his attacking game. He's able to come to the net after a few shots only now and he even has the right feeling for S&V when he needs it. So Gilles is dreaming of being able to show that in matches too.
He isn't surprised Gilles saved so many BP in Indy because he completely takes on his new status. He is ranked #25, he is the 2nd seed and he feels like when things get close, he's the one who has to make all the difference. His ranking gives him this confidence. On the other hand, it's the same when Gilles plays against top players, he has the impression they are above him then. But he is on a rising curve and it will be interesting to see how he now does against top players.
It could happen in the 2nd round of Toronto already: "Too bad it happens so early, but I'm very eager to see that!"

jitterbug
07-21-2008, 07:00 AM
Nah, GM is the only place I've seen where Gilles is hated with a passion :lol: on Murray's forum they're either not familiar with him or think he's as creative as Andy (considering that place is obviously a forum for Andy's fans, that's a compliment you see.)

Truc
07-21-2008, 07:09 AM
Sometimes it is better to ignore GM. I am sure most of the people over there have never seen Gilles play or followed his development. They hardly watch anyone apart from Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, on most of the other players they just repeat some crap comment heard years ago. Of course there are exceptions, but they are just confirming the rule.

Take all joy you can out of Gilles' success and forget about GM. :wavey:Sorry, I hadn't seen your post, I was busy translating the 2nd part. Thanks, but I don't let the GM idiots tarnish my joy at all atm when it comes to Gilles anyway - precisely because the pusher bashing seems just a MTF thing.
For example, I really was a bit hurt by the terrible reactions when Gaël reached the quarters in RG because he got so much crap for his performance *everywhere*, even in France, I was like "But give the guy some credit for reaching the QF, damn it! :sobbing:" - And he actually did get credit (at least in France) after the Ferrer match already, so I know things can change very quickly. ;)

Brego
07-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the translation Fran. I'm still on Cloud Nine about his win yesterday. :D

I'm glad his parents were there. It seemed kinda of sad for him to win this title and have nobody there to celebrate with him.

I don't understand GM's attitude against Gilles. :confused:

Good luck to Gilles in Toronto and hopefully he can play Federer in the second round. :)

Truc
07-21-2008, 02:05 PM
http://www.itftennis.com/olympics/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=18938
Changes to Beijing entry list
Men's Doubles
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) has withdrawn through injury and has been replaced by Gilles Simon (FRA)

jitterbug
07-21-2008, 02:09 PM
... doubles :tape:

Good luck!

Truc
07-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Gaël will ace their way to the SF.
I can sense a medal for France here.

jitterbug
07-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Their matches would be a classic, I'm sure :D

tedlesurfeur
07-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Nah, GM is the only place I've seen where Gilles is hated with a passion :lol: on Murray's forum they're either not familiar with him or think he's as creative as Andy (considering that place is obviously a forum for Andy's fans, that's a compliment you see.)

It sure is a compliment :p How are you doing Zaza ? :wavey: Do you like andy as well ? :angel:

Fran, Gilles is not hated at all on French boards. Do you want the address of the French forum I'm on ? :worship:

So glaaaaad Poussin does the Olympics :dance:

Truc
07-21-2008, 05:42 PM
I think I know you from Forum Info Tennis, where are you posting now?
As for me, I sometimes read on Classim, Welovetennis or the Eurosport blogs, I remember some criticism for his big talk before and after the Nadal match at the AO, but I never see people whining about the way he plays tennis.

tedlesurfeur
07-21-2008, 09:48 PM
I think I know you from Forum Info Tennis, where are you posting now?
As for me, I sometimes read on Classim, Welovetennis or the Eurosport blogs, I remember some criticism for his big talk before and after the Nadal match at the AO, but I never see people whining about the way he plays tennis.

WOW you remember Infotennis ?? :eek: You know me from there ?? :worship: really ??

Well this forum shut down like 2 years ago or something.. and then we've had another forum with many members from Infotennis for a year, but then it shut down too :lol: So now we're on a 3rd forum, but en route we lost like 2/3 of all members of the second forum which had 1/8 of Infotennis :lol: But it's fun as we know each other. If ever you want to know the address, it's tennisaddict.forumsactifs.com, but as far as I can see you're quite busy already :lol:

I'd rather have you play my game :lol: the International Quiz Tour :lol: it's fun, you should try, Raffaele is playing :lol: he won a tournament (S'Hertogenbosh) and is ranked something like 43 in the world :lol: try it :devil:

jitterbug
07-22-2008, 03:10 AM
It sure is a compliment :p How are you doing Zaza ? :wavey: Do you like andy as well ? :angel:

I do, he's really nice and I like his game :dance: I know the general impression is that Andy is the surly bastard and his brother is the nice one - but actually, Andy's the one who's nice to fans and Jamie's the one who throws a diva fit and gets bigheaded.

Truc
07-22-2008, 06:27 AM
:wavey: Andy fangirl here too. He's the only "top player" I actively cheer for.

I was hoping all the time Gilles would get Young! I've never watched a whole match of Young, I finally will.
The OOP is perfect too (11:00 on GrandStand), I was afraid he would play in the middle of the night.

Brego
07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
It's a good time for me as well (08:00). Can catch most of the match before my work day starts. :)

Allez Gilles. If Gillou isn't tired this shouldn't be too much of a struggle. He's beaten Donald before and on grass!

P.S. I like Andy too. I think he has a great sense of humour but a lot of people don't see that.

jitterbug
07-22-2008, 03:47 PM
First set 6-1! :banana:

My stupid IE browser froze on set point :retard:

Grenouille
07-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Thank you Donald for all these mistakes !

jitterbug
07-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Broken when serving for the match at 5*-2 but BROKE RIGHT BACK! :woohoo: He wins 6-1 6-3 in 59 minutes.

Brego
07-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Great win Gilles.

Now take out Federer. :devil:

Truc
07-22-2008, 04:22 PM

Boy, that was a borefest, Gilles looked half asleep during the whole match! What an ugly performance from Young. :eek:

tedlesurfeur
07-22-2008, 08:15 PM
wow, I surely didn't expect such a severe score :worship:

Acer
07-22-2008, 10:28 PM
All hail poussin the top 20 player ;)

Truc
07-23-2008, 06:22 AM
Another article in L’Equipe today, but it’s boring – L’Equipe always gets so excited when a Frenchie gets to play Fed and they all lose in straight sets: Simon va savoir
Le Français affronte aujourd’hui Federer, pour la première fois. Il est impatient de subir le test absolu.
ET SI GILLES SIMON réussissait là où tous les Français ont échoué depuis Monte-Carlo 2005 et la victoire de Richard Gasquet sur Roger Federer ? Le numéro 3 français est sur une série de six victoires, le record de sa carrière pro sur le circuit principal. Après avoir décroché son quatrième titre dimanche dernier à Indianapolis, sa confiance est au zénith : « Je préfère le prendre maintenant que je carbure, dans un premier tour et après une longue coupure pour lui…»
Il va s’attaquer au numéro 1 mondial pour la première fois. « Je suis ravi. Du top 10 actuel, il ne me manquera plus que Blake. » Qu’il n’espère pas trop prendre Federer par surprise. Le coach du Suisse, Jose Higueras, n’a pas manqué une minute de son match contre un Donald Young qui porte bien son nom vu le gâchis important dans son jeu. On allait oublier que Simon a joué un match hier pour obtenir le droit d’affronter celui qui reste le maître du classement ATP. Mais cette rencontre fut tant à sens unique que le souvenir s’en est estompé aussitôt. « Je voulais finir vite », raconte Simon. » La pluie menaçait en effet et à part un débreak quand il servit pour le match à 5-2, il tint son plan de vol conclu 6-1, 6-3 en 59 minutes.
« J’ai mis juste un peu de temps au début parce que mes jambes sont quand même un peu raides après cette accumulation de matches, mais après ça a été du solide. » Il était temps de passer aux choses sérieuses. « Gilles devra être opportuniste sur chaque ouverture que lui offrira Federer, estime son coach Thierry Tulasne. Il devra changer de rythme aussi souvent que possible. » Le plan anti-Federer, Simon n’y croit pas trop : « J’en ai tellement vus essayer de faire des choses extraordinaires contre lui, de surjouer que je ne vais pas commettre cette erreur. Pour l’instant ma tactique est simple : jouer le jeu que je sais faire, du fond du court, en faisant du droite-gauche et en m’arrachant. Sûr qu’il faudra que je sois à mon top dans ce registre. Si je vois sur le court que ça ne mène nulle part, alors, j’envisagerai d’autres options. Mais pour l’instant l’idée est de ne surtout pas s’inventer un jeu parce que c’est Federer. » Voilà c’est dit.
Sinon, Simon ne promet rien. Pas de propos bravaches dont il régalait les auditoires au début de sa carrière. Pas de « qu’on me l’amène ce Federer!». Au jeu des dix chances, il ne veut pas savoir combien il s’en donne. « Je n’annonce rien, sinon que je me réjouis de le rencontrer et que des gars de mon classement (22e) qu’il n’a jamais joués, il ne doit pas y en avoir des tonnes. Je suis en confiance, j’ai plutôt bien digéré l’accumulation d’efforts, alors pourquoi ne pas envisager de le surprendre? » Trois ans qu’on attend ça dans l’Hexagone. And if Gilles Simon did what all the Frenchies have been unable to do since MC 2005 and Gasquet's win over Federer? He's on a streak of 6 wins, the longest one of his career, his confidence is at its top: "I prefer to play him now when I'm doing great, in a first round and after a long break for him..."
He should not rely too much on the surprise effect, though, because Higueras watched his whole match against Young yesterday. The match was totally one-sided, Young's name suits him well. Gilles wanted to finish it quickly because of the rain forecast. "I just needed some time at the beginning because my legs are a little bit stiff after so many matches, but I was solid after that."
Tulasne says Gilles will need to be opportunistic and to vary the pace as often as possible. Gilles doesn't really believe in an anti-Federer gameplan: "I've seen so many players try out extraordinary things against him and overdo it that I'm not going to make the same mistake. My tactic is simple: play the way I play, from the baseline, running left-right-left and giving everything on the court. Of course I will need to be at my best in that style of game. If I see on the court that it isn't bringing me anywhere, then I'll consider other options. But right now, the idea is not to make up a new game because it's Federer."
No swaggering statements anymore like at the beginning of his career. No "Bring on Federer!". He refuses to assess his chances. "I'm not announcing anything, just saying that I'm happy to play against him and that there probably aren't many guys with my ranking who have never met him. I'm confident, I have 'digested' rather well all my efforts, so maybe I can surprise him, why not?"
We've been waiting for that for 3 years in France.

Guy Haines
07-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Well, Gilles isn't losing in straight sets!

He just took the second set 7-5 from Federer. Deserved too, because he was up a break earlier in the set.

Is anyone seeing this match? I'm stuck at work. :mad:

From the live scoring it looks like Gilles, true to form, started out intimidated -- he was down 4-0 in the first.

But now it appears he's found his game. :D

Truc
07-24-2008, 01:14 AM
I'm watching! And I'm glad I stayed awake. He was looking so nervous when he stepped on court, it was horrible to see, so I was ready for a very, very, very rough start. ^^ Fed was pretty good too, very aggressive, it was quite terrible.

But he was playing very well in the 2nd set imo. Most people will probably only say that Fed sucked, and it's true he completely handed him the last game, but Gilles was extremely solid too (only 5 UE for the whole set and 10 winners - Fed had 11 and tons of UE), he showed some exciting shots, was returning better...
Fed just got the rebreak because of a stupidly missed volley in the middle of the 2nd set, but the set was well-deserved for Gilles.

It's getting tougher now, his level has dropped down a little bit...

Tutu
07-24-2008, 01:15 AM
You can watch it on Channelsurfing.net :)

Gilles is starting to play badly again.. Fed is by no means raising his play..

He's probably just a bit tired...

I hope he can fight though... It's by no means over with Federer in this form..

Truc
07-24-2008, 01:20 AM
He gets nice support from the crowd, I can hear quite a lot of "Allez Simon!" calls.
The AMS.tv announcer also started the coverage telling us over and over again that he is a big fan of Gilles.

Rebreak. :rocker2:

Tutu
07-24-2008, 01:23 AM
:banana: He's starting to play well again.. Allez Gilles!!

Tutu
07-24-2008, 01:25 AM
The line judges are pathetic. :help:

Truc
07-24-2008, 01:28 AM
I loved your last post about Gilles in the GM thread, btw, GuyHaines. I can't good rep you again. It was totally spot on.

He lost a hell of a rallye which gave Fed BP. :-/ He is not doing poorly at all, Fed really played 2 great winners to break again, they're both playing well atm.

Guy Haines
07-24-2008, 01:29 AM
Damnit.

Break back again, Gilles!

Thanks Truc!

Truc
07-24-2008, 01:33 AM
I love his returns. :hearts:
And he's fighting so well!

Rebreak. :rocker2: Fed helped a little bit, but it's deserved. :p

Truc
07-24-2008, 01:36 AM
They keep challenging the calls, it's such a mess, the line judges are terrible, Chryst is quite bad too.

Allez Poussin, hold, PLEASE! But he's looking really tired now.
He still has a great depth in his shots, though.

5-4, thank your Rodgeur.

Truc
07-24-2008, 01:40 AM
OMG, match point.
Fed is being complete crap again.

Truc
07-24-2008, 01:41 AM
:sobbing:

The parents are there too.

2moretogo
07-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Been away for a while due to being so tired after the RG/Wimby swing, but let me just say, "Gilles! Allez!!! Was strange to see him breakdown Federer's fh so completely. So happy, I guess playing Indy was a great idea!!!

*Raine
07-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Yay Simon :worship::worship:

Amazing! My hands are still shaking

HoistDaColors
07-24-2008, 02:04 AM
gilles you legend. :worship:
although i am not particularly fond of his style of play. I do enjoy how he so effortlessly transition defense into offense. congratz.

Brego
07-24-2008, 02:07 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm in shock. I thought at the beginning of the match it would be a double bagel. But he regained his compusure and played a steady match.

This is so fantastic. I'm going over to GM to see how all the haters are dealing with this win.

:clap2: :bigclap: :bounce:

Edit: I feel sorry for Roger. They're really beating up on him in GM.

Guy Haines
07-24-2008, 02:16 AM
Gilles: :hearts::kiss::hatoff::worship:

So happy for him.

Truc: :hug:

*Raine
07-24-2008, 02:18 AM
:worship: Gilles :worship:

Kolya
07-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Bravo Simon! :yeah:

Nice way to take advantage of Federer's poor play a lot of players have failed to win when Federer is playing poor.

Acer
07-24-2008, 02:35 AM
Meh, I can't really celebrate this one.

Toppu
07-24-2008, 02:58 AM
Our Gilles is now even more famous!

Cin
07-24-2008, 06:16 AM
haha, famous Gilles keep going!!!
com'on

Cin
07-24-2008, 06:47 AM
haha, famous Gilles keep going!!!
com'on

gambit84
07-24-2008, 06:54 AM
:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

very proud of our little son :D

watched the whole match:spectacular!!!! :rocker2:

as always: Gillu....you rock :rocker2:

Puschkin
07-24-2008, 07:50 AM
Wow. I did expect a tough match for Roger, but frankly, I did not believe that Gilles would have the guts to complete it. I obvioulsy underestimated him. :o A great win for him, which I have no difficulties to accept. The only bad consequence of this is Nadal becoming No1 very soon....

Truc
07-24-2008, 08:49 AM
You're so nice, Puschkin, I would love to post an article about Richie to thank you, but there isn't anything yet about his match yesterday.
I guess we're all a bit surprised by the fighting attitude of Poussin, you know! He was lucky Roger completely crumbled at the end and he didn't have to close it out by himself, I don't know what would have happened then.

That interview on AMS.tv... :drool: I like his reaction when he's asked if that's the best win in his career.
If anybody wants me to upload it, just tell me.

He plays at 12 already today, it will be hard to regroup!

Truc
07-24-2008, 08:55 AM
A few quotes:"I just wanted to not miss this match," Simon said. "I just wanted to fight, to play a nice match and that's what I did. I'm so proud of this."
Simon said he didn't have a particular strategy. "I was just too tired to think," he said. "I just saw the ball. I hit the ball."
He admitted it was impressive when he first entered the Centre Court to play Federer and had to pinch himself to remind himself where he was. "For me, it was the first time I didn't know what to expect," Simon said. "Even if it was not such a good match for him, he's so hard to defeat."

While not happy with his game, Federer gave credit to the winner.
"As the match went on I struggled a little bit to put the forehands away," Federer said. "He's a good baseliner. We saw that today. He moves well. He's deceiving because he's kind of thin and tall but moves really well for his height, you know.
"He flicks a lot of balls with his backhand as well, so when you come in you can't see where he plays."
(...)
Perhaps the Federer mystique is starting to fade, just enough, every so often.
"I don't know. I mean, maybe some players are used to his game, but it was not my case because it was the first time I played against him," the ebullient Simon said. "It's so impressive when you enter into the central court against Federer. It's [like], come on. Where am I? I look, and, yeah, there is my parents, here my coach.
"For sure this is my best victory, even if he's not the No. 1 next week."

Eliande
07-24-2008, 08:57 AM
It was a great win over Federer.
Well done, Gilles!:worship:

Puschkin
07-24-2008, 09:03 AM
You're so nice, Puschkin, I would love to post an article about Richie to thank you,
You can do that tomorrow, when Richie will have beaten Ferrer. ;):devil:

He plays at 12 already today, it will be hard to regroup!
I fear that, too. It is not easy to follow up a great win. Digesting victories is also something one has to learn.

Venle
07-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Gilles is great! :worship:

Just wanted to say that :)

Tutu
07-24-2008, 09:45 AM
:woohoo: :banana:

Grenouille
07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Gilles !!!! Unbelievable !!!! He is top 10 material !

Truc
07-24-2008, 11:39 AM
"Je ne sais pas trop s'il a joué son pire match de l'année, mais je m'en fous ! Battre Federer, c'est toujours dur" a confié au micro de RDS le Français Gilles Simon.
"Maybe he played his worst match of the year, but I don't care! It's always tough to beat Federer."

It's cute from him to say that, but I don't think Fed really was much worse than in some of his recent matches. The falling apart at the end was shocking, but he was not that bad during a good part of the match, he played really well in the 1st set, for most people it looked until the end of the 2nd set like he would probably be able to close it in 2 sets...

Ome
07-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Congrats Gilles and his fans :bounce:

I haven't seen ANY matches this week except for this one! :lol: Glad I did watch it!

Brego
07-24-2008, 01:43 PM
The parents are there too.

It was nice to see them there cheering their son on.

I'm still in shock over his win. Like you said he doesn't have very much time to regroup with his match against Acasuso.

They played once before on clay in Casablanca in 2005 and Gilles won but it was a struggle (went to three sets).

Chucho's win over Gonzalez was pretty impressive so he may be a little tired emotionally as well.

Allez Gilles for today. Win and get into your first MS QF.

Truc
07-24-2008, 01:44 PM
G. SIMON/R. Federer
2-6, 7-5, 6-4
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Do you think that you have what it takes to fill the void of Federer and win the tournament?
GILLES SIMON: I don't know. I just wanted to play my match. I'm so confident actually because I won the tournament last week, and I just wanted to not miss this match. I just wanted to fight and play a nice game and play a nice match.
That's what I did tonight, so I'm so proud of it.

Q. As the match went on, you seemed to be more and more confident going forehand to forehand with Federer. Was that part of the strategy coming in, or something as time went on you thought, This is where I need to attack?
GILLES SIMON: No. Actually, I was just too tired to think. I just saw the ball and I hit the ball. Federer played a nice game in the four first games with so many aces and so many winners on forehand.
And then I had to play my best tennis and I have to hit the ball as hard as him. When he's playing forehand on forehand, I mean, you don't have any choice to play cross because it's so hard. The ball is coming so fast and it's so hard to control the ball to play down of the line.
So I just played the ball like it comes.

Q. Was there a certain part of his game that you were able to take advantage of tonight? I just asked because I saw him use his dropshot backhand a lot and it seemed to give you not much problem.
GILLES SIMON: Yes, it is one of his best shot, the crosscourt shot in backhand. Every time he's playing a player with a two-hands backhand he's trying to play this shot.
But, I mean, I think it was playing too fast tonight to try some shots like this. I don't know. You have to ask him why he did this. But we saw him every time playing this kind of shot, so it was not a surprise.

Q. For so long he has been the dominate player in the sport except on clay. With some of the results he's had this year, are players like yourself starting to say, Maybe he's beatable on some of these surfaces for the first time in a while?
GILLES SIMON: I don't know. I mean, maybe some player are used to his game, but it was not my case because it was the first time I played against him. It's so impressive when you enter into the central court against Federer. It's, Come on. Where am I? I look, and, yeah, there is my parents, here my coach.
No, I don't know. I mean, I just -- for me it was the first time. I didn't know what to expect. I know he's playing so fast.
But like I say, I just wanted to play my game and to know what would be the result if I was just playing my game. I don't know if he played a great match tonight. You have to ask him.
Even if it was not a good match for him he's is hard to defeat. That's just unbelievable for me to win against him.

Q. And if you look at your career, I mean, is it too early to rank this as maybe the best win of your career? You have some titles under your belt.
GILLES SIMON: Yes, for sure this is my best victory. I don't think that you win so many times against the No. 1 in the world. Happen maybe, I don't know, in the career of a player maybe two, three times if you are lucky.
For sure this is my best victory even if he's not the No. 1 next week. But actually he's No. 1, so it's good for me.

Q. For a lot of players, the big battle against Federer is believing they can beat him in their heart. At what point tonight did you start to believe that you could win this match?
GILLES SIMON: In the second set when it was four games all, because I played a nice game to broke him when it was 3-2 with nice passing shots. But I was playing far from my baseline.
Then I was playing so slow and he came back 4-3, 4-All. Then the first point I play a shot really slow in the middle of the court and he played a winner, Love-15.
Then I start to think, I say, Come on, you have to play faster than that and hit the ball. You have to play as fast as possible, too.
I played a nice game to win this one, and that's why -- I mean, I played so nice tennis until the end.

Q. Were you surprised that he kept on attacking to your backhand, because you were hitting passing shot after passing shot and it seemed that he kept on making the same kind of tactical approach.
GILLES SIMON: Yes, because Roger always play forehand on forehand. So when he wants to come to the net he has to come down of the line, and then he's coming on the backhand.
He's a very good player when he's on the net. It's so hard to play some passing shots, because he seems to be everywhere. Fortunately for me he missed some forehand and I played some nice shots with my backhand. Maybe destabilize him a little bit.

Q. What did your parents say after the match?
GILLES SIMON: I don't know.

Q. Did you get a chance to call home or anything like that?
GILLES SIMON: Right now, no. I just wanted to come as soon as possible because I have to rest for tomorrow. I'm so tired. I play five match last week with four match in a row in three sets. Then I travel on Monday, played the match yesterday and then tonight, so I try to rest as soon as possible.

Q. How does it feel to you personally to have beaten Roger? What does it mean to you to beat a world No. 1?
GILLES SIMON: I mean, it's a nice sensation. Like I said, maybe I would not defeat him until the end of his career, so I just have to enjoy it.
What is hard in tennis is I can't just stay on this match because I have one more match tomorrow, and I have to think about it right now. I don't have to stop on this match.
It was the same for my victory in Indianapolis. I didn't have the time to enjoy it yet, but it's a good thing for me. If I lose this week, then I think I'll make a big party for all these reasons.

Q. In the third set, it was obvious that Roger was starting to get frustrated. We very rarely see that from him. How were you able to stay so focused and so calm throughout the third set?
GILLES SIMON: I mean, just because I was tired. Like I said, I didn't have the time to think. I played a nice set, even if he broke me twice in the set.
I remember the point. It was 3-All, 30-All, and we played an unbelievable point with, I don't know, maybe we hit the ball 15 times each and he finish with a passing shot.
But there was no frustration. I just kept playing like this. I was playing my best tennis. I had no reason to change. I tried to play this type of game until the end.
Finally I broke him twice in a row and I finished to win this match.

Brego
07-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Q. How does it feel to you personally to have beaten Roger? What does it mean to you to beat a world No. 1?
GILLES SIMON: I mean, it's a nice sensation. Like I said, maybe I would not defeat him until the end of his career, so I just have to enjoy it.
What is hard in tennis is I can't just stay on this match because I have one more match tomorrow, and I have to think about it right now. I don't have to stop on this match.It was the same for my victory in Indianapolis. I didn't have the time to enjoy it yet, but it's a good thing for me. If I lose this week, then I think I'll make a big party for all these reasons.

Good to see he's focusing on his next match.

Thnaks for the post match interview Fran. :)

Scotso
07-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Gilles! :woohoo: :banana: :worship: :hearts:

I haven't been on the board in a long time, but a title followed by a win over Federer seems like a really good excuse to temporarily break my self-imposed exile.

Congrats Gilles! Keep it up, baby!

Scotso
07-24-2008, 02:06 PM
I forgot to mention that it's definitely Gillesex out there these past two weeks.

Brego
07-24-2008, 02:16 PM

I haven't been on the board in a long time, but a title followed by a win over Federer seems like a really good excuse to temporarily break my self-imposed exile.

Scott! :hug: We've missed you here.

I forgot to mention that it's definitely Gillesex out there these past two weeks.

:drool:

gambit84
07-24-2008, 03:31 PM

:wavey:

Truc
07-24-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm so glad to read you again, Scottie, it doesn't feel the same here without you!

I'm still so tired myself from the Fed match, I get tired just from watching them warming up... And even more after having read his interview where he keeps saying he's exhausted.

Eliande
07-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Well... He stayed focused and defeated Acasuso too.:D:bigclap:

Truc
07-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Cilic in QF.
He leads 2-0 in the h2h, but not on HC (it was in Wimbledon and Umag 2007) and both times very close matches. Marin has improved a lot lately anyway.

Grenouille
07-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Gilles has also improved a lot so it's possible to hope a semi final in a Master Series event for Gillou :D

Tutu
07-24-2008, 07:39 PM
:banana: :banana: Allez, allez, allez. You can do it Gilles! :banana:

Puschkin
07-24-2008, 07:43 PM
The guy keeps surprising me. :D How long can he last physically?

2moretogo
07-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Way to keep going Simon! The results that were lacking at the beginning-middle part of the year are now coming. This is nice to see that he's building off of his momentum.

07-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Well I had not been a fan of Simon. In fact I didn't even know he had his own place in the French Forum. But anyone that defeats Fed gets my backing :worship: And then he picked up yet another win today :cool:

Guy Haines
07-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Not only is Gilles winning, he's representing himself so well. :hatoff: He was very respectful in victory and so honest in his interview. (More respectful than Roger in defeat as per usual, based on RF's interview, though surely Federer is hurting these days in a way that few can fathom.)

Simon vs. Cilic is a quarterfinal that was meant to happen sooner or later at this level. (People on the General Message board are stuck in 2005, where all their faves were doing better and thus tennis wasn't "dead." :lol:) May there be more, as far as I'm concerned. I like both players and their best results are still in front of them.

But I'm much more fond of Gilles! :D

Acer
07-25-2008, 03:49 AM
Is this Gilles's first MS QF?

TMJordan
07-25-2008, 04:45 AM
I was at his match again today and have become a fan of him. He really flattens out his shots at times so being called "The Pusher" really is wrong.

He played well today and won pretty much every important point and at the end of the match he was a nice guy again and gave me his towl. I think he likes me because I have been at 2 of his matches supporting him and congratulated him on Indy. Plus I was sitting right behind him.

I will be there again supporting him against Cilic, I got some pics of him I can upload later.

Truc
07-25-2008, 06:43 AM
I think he likes me because I have been at 2 of his matches supporting him and congratulated him on Indy. Plus I was sitting right behind him.If he knew you were flooding even the entry list threads with posts like "Great field - apart from Simon", "Gilles Simon shouldn't be allowed to play Masters Series events"... :lol: At least you made me laugh and I've always thought you're too good for that crap, as you know. :p So nice from you to change your mind and to say it!

Yes, he played a great match again yesterday. The match-up is not the most exciting one, Chucho is so sluggish and Gilles makes it look even worse, but I'm very aware he did a really great job. So much in control on the big points again, it's weird.

Here is today's article in L'Equipe about his win over Fed:
http://s2.directupload.net/images/080725/i62souho.pdf

Truc
07-25-2008, 06:59 AM
A summary of the main article - I like how he talks in French, he's quite funny, too bad I can't always render it in English:

Just a huge scream after the MP and he immediately calmed down. "I wasn't going to do the worm like Stepanek or to run 6 times around the court like Volandri in 2007, it's not my style." In the stands, Tulasne just couldn't believe it and the mother was crying.
"It's big. I can't afford to celebrate. My tournament is not over. But I'm going to do something huge afterwards. The big thing is to beat Federer when I was always trailing." It made things easier for him: "That way I couldn't 'choke' like I did in the first set against Nadal." (at the Australian Open - he doesn't really say "choke", he talks of the "fear of winning").
He didn't beat the best Federer, but Tulasne stresses that "it was a very good match, except at the beginning when Gilles was outplayed". There were, especially in the 2nd set, very intense rallies from the baseline.
Gilles: "Gaël had told me: 'Don't worry, with him you have time to play your game'. He must have been joking! All these missiles... Ah, I was thinking of Gaël again during the match!" :lol:
"I had decided I would 'live or die' playing my own game. Right-left-right-left and 'heave-ho'! Sometimes it was going so fast from his side and from mine. Nice ping-pong!"
Tulasne means Federer didn't want to play that game from the baseline: "I have the feeling he's looking for the 'anti-Nadal' antidote and is now trying to move more forwards. But Gilles is a hell of a counterpuncher and has a great passing-shot too." Not very cautious to try to change one's game against a clever player like Simon.
This brilliant highschool student (that's for the "Simple Simon" BS! :p) always has taken a scathing look at his sport. Never ask him if he has just 5 minutes for a few words. Half an hour later he's still sitting there and talking.
Then some blabla again about the fact that he was not far from being kicked out of the FFT when he was younger because of his small height (he grew up later) and his scrawny legs (that didn't change). But Borfiga kept believing in him and that's why Gilles is where he is today. Tulasne also belonged to the ones who had faith in him when he started on the tour in 2004, even if he had to leave him during a while. "Finishing a match like he did is the sign of an extraordinary mental toughness. I thought I knew him well, but I'm still discovering him."
When he went to the locker-room after the match, the first thing Gilles told him was: "So, who is the boss?" Thierry: "But, what happened?!?" It's the biggest moment in Tulasne's career as a coach. "And I wasn't the only one impressed. Everybody in the locker rooms came to congratulate Gilles. Even Söderling who usually never says a word came over. People were even congratulating me! That never happens."
And after his match against Chucho, Gilles said: "The night was not very restful! Every time I was closing my eyes, so many things came to my mind. But I really wanted that win. Otherwise my win over Federer wouldn't have had the same taste."

Truc
07-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Is this Gilles's first MS QF?Yes, he's never made it past the 3rd round in Slams or Masters Series.

gambit84
07-25-2008, 07:54 AM
I'm so proud of him :banana:

I like his flat game, his geometry, his way of using the court.

Allez Poussin, you rock :rocker2:

Tutu
07-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Please get to your first MS SF please Gilles. :D:D:D

Truc
07-25-2008, 01:21 PM
G. SIMON/J. Acasuso
6-3, 6-4

Q. Another win today. How many in a row is this for you, and have you ever been on this hot a roll of tennis?
GILLES SIMON: It's eight victory in a row. It's the first time I won eight match in a row, so that's a good point for me.

Q. How does it feel?
GILLES SIMON: It feels nice. I actually feel tired, but I suppose you just can't win eight match in a row without be tired at the end.
I tried to win the next match, too. Like I said, I'm so confident. I'm tired, but I play without pressure. I just try to give the best every match, and I try to keep like this until the end.

Q. What kind of reaction have you had to your victory over Roger last night either from family or friends or from other tennis players?
GILLES SIMON: Like I said, it's very hard because you can't enjoy it. The tournament is not finished.
It's not like if you defeated Roger in the final. Then you can say, Okay, I don't play the next tournament, I don't play for one year if you don't want.
But, no, I just finished the match and it was 10:00. Then I have to rest, I have to hit, I have to go back to the hotel, the massage and everything. I had to sleep only at 1:00, and then I have the match 12:00 this morning.
I have no time to enjoy it yet. I just want to win every match. Like I said, I'm doing everything to win, so no time to party.

Q. You talked about how tired you were. Were you able to get much sleep after beating the world No. 1?
GILLES SIMON: It was hard. Yeah, I was tired so I really wanted to sleep, but every time I close my eyes I have so many things about the match.
No, really it was not a good night for me, but...
I mean, that was just unbelievable to defeat him. I really wanted to win today, because if you defeat Roger and then you lose the match right after it's not the same. If I'm still in the tournament, I'm still dreaming.

Q. You played Roger last night. Was the adrenaline still going for this match today, early this afternoon?
GILLES SIMON: Like I said, it was hard to rest, but when you defeat Roger you are so confident.
The start of the match was very important today. I had to move my legs. It was harder to move than usual.
Yes, with the confidence I didn't lose so many power. I really felt no pressure on this match. That's what is nice when you defeat a player like Roger. After, when you are on the court, you just think that you can defeat everybody.
That's why I played a great match today, even if I was tired, even if the recuperation was not so good, just with my tennis and with the confidence.
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=51071

Eliande
07-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Why do they call him Poussin? And what does it mean?:confused:

Truc
07-25-2008, 01:50 PM
That's really his nickname, we didn't make that up. "Poussin" means "baby chick" in French. He was much smaller than the other guys when he was young, he had a growth retardation issue of about 3 years, he was still 1,50 m when Tsonga & Co. were as tall as today.
That's why he's such a latebloomer on the tour too.

I'm so scared the fatigue will catch up with Poussin today...

Truc
07-25-2008, 01:58 PM
He talks about it here for example, it was posted in the old thread:
(...) This 'I'm not afraid of anybody' attitude has deep roots: "I have a growth retardation of 3 years. When I was 15 years old, I was 1,53 m tall. My father and my brother had the same problem. I went to endocrinologists who told me there wasn't anything wrong, that I was going to grow up." But his opponents already were 1,80 m tall. "They were almost adults. I was still a kid, I could hardly beat them. In fact, I didn't beat them. It's a little bit frustrating to lose to a player when you know you're a better player, just because he serves at 180/190 km/h while my serves looked like underarm serves."
Other guys might have already given up at that stage, he didn't, hung on, between the piano lessons and the school, learned how to read the game of the opponent, to move better, to become a better tactician. "The short players often have a better sense of the game. It's rare to see players who are 2 m tall do great things." (...)
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=6747977&postcount=1569

Eliande
07-25-2008, 01:58 PM
That's really his nickname, we didn't make that up. "Poussin" means "baby chick" in French. He was much smaller than the other guys when he was young, he had a growth retardation issue of about 3 years, he was still 1,50 m when Tsonga & Co. were as tall as today.
That's why he's such a latebloomer on the tour too.

I'm so scared the fatigue will catch up with Poussin today...

Thanks ever so much for the explanation.:)

I also hope he won't be too tired today. But he definitely must be...
Anyway, good luck to Poussin (such a lovely nickname)!;)

Eliande
07-25-2008, 02:00 PM
He talks about it here for example, it was posted in the old thread:
(...) This 'I'm not afraid of anybody' attitude has deep roots: "I have a growth retardation of 3 years. When I was 15 years old, I was 1,53 m tall. My father and my brother had the same problem. I went to endocrinologists who told me there wasn't anything wrong, that I was going to grow up." But his opponents already were 1,80 m tall. "They were almost adults. I was still a kid, I could hardly beat them. In fact, I didn't beat them. It's a little bit frustrating to lose to a player when you know you're a better player, just because he serves at 180/190 km/h while my serves looked like underarm serves."
Other guys might have already given up at that stage, he didn't, hung on, between the piano lessons and the school, learned how to read the game of the opponent, to move better, to become a better tactician. "The short players often have a better sense of the game. It's rare to see players who are 2 m tall do great things." (...)
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=6747977&postcount=1569

How tall is he now? He looks quite tall, actually (on TV).

jitterbug
07-25-2008, 02:12 PM
He's about 5'11" now.

Oh gosh little chicken :eek: I go away for three days and you had to choose one of those days to go and beat Roger?

I should go away more often - he'd be #1 in no time.

Tutu
07-25-2008, 02:25 PM
He's about 5'11" now.

Oh gosh little chicken :eek: I go away for three days and you had to choose one of those days to go and beat Roger?

tedlesurfeur
07-25-2008, 03:48 PM
He's about 5'11" now.

The same here.
I've been away for 2 whole days because I moved out to my new apartment, and that's when he beat Roger (and then qualifies to QF)

I was in the van, on the highway, with a friend of mine and my mom :lol: and we were listening to the radio, yesterday, it was about 6:30 in the morning (I had gone to bed early the night before so I didn't know about Gillou's performance) when I heard "Gilles Simon created a sensation by beating world No.1 Roger Federer" (it was in French :lol:)

anyway, I STARTLED so bad that I scared my mom out :lol: and my friend too. They both asked what was going on :lol: I had to explain the whole thing :lol:

Hello Fran, Raffi, Brego, Zahira and the new ones :wavey:

tedlesurfeur
07-25-2008, 03:58 PM

It seems everyone missed you, Fran, Raffaele, Brego.. I didn't :devil:

________

Fran, thank you for all the articles. (même si tu ne postes memes plus les originaux des articles français, du coup je lis tes traductions :lol: )

Does anyone have a bottle of champagne smiley ? just to celebrate Gillou's victory ? :hatoff:

jitterbug
07-25-2008, 04:05 PM
I miss Scott :angel:

Truc
07-25-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm not really in celebrating mood right now...

You can't open the pdf file, Ted? There is more stuff than just my summary. Here is the full article in French:Simon en format géant
Plein de toupet, le Français a battu Roger Federer dans la nuit de mercredi ! Vainqueur hier d’Acasuso, le voilà en quarts de finale.

Vainqueur du quatrième titre de sa carrière dimanche, à Indianapolis, détenteur du meilleur classement de sa carrière cette semaine (22e), Gilles Simon est lancé comme un bolide. Très solide du fond, il a privé de solutions le numéro 1 mondial en personne, mercredi soir (2-6, 7-5, 6-4). Ça faisait trois ans qu’aucun Français n’avait dominé maître Federer. TORONTO – (CAN) de notre envoyé spécial
UN CRI, deux poings serrés, et c’est tout. Pas de danse du scalp pour Gilles Simon, grand manitou des coupeurs de têtes. Dans les gradins, son entraîneur, Thierry Tulasne, qui en a vu d’autres, secouait sa tête, incrédule. Maman Simon avait les larmes aux yeux et, ici et là, on entendait des« Oh my god ! » qui résumaient bien l’atmosphère générale après la défaite d’entrée du Suisse (2-6, 7-5, 6-4 en 2 h 1’). Les désastres s’enchaînent pour Federer. La nouveauté vient de la nationalité de ce nouveau tourmenteur. Mais qui mieux que Simon pouvait faire retentir le chant du coq ? Trois ans que le tennis français cherchait un successeur à Gasquet, le dernier des siens à avoir battu le boulimique numéro 1 mondial. « Après la balle de match, raconte le héros, j’ai poussé un cri dans lequel j’ai tout lâché et, après, je suis redevenu calme. Je n’allais pas faire la vague comme Stepanek à Rome ou six fois le tour du terrain comme Volandri en 2007. Ça n’est pas mon style. » Ça n’est pas son genre non plus de la jouer détaché : « C’est juste énorme. Mais pour l’instant, je n’ai pas le droit de célébrer. Mon tournoi n’est pas fini. Mais attention, après, je vais me faire un grand kif. Ce qui est génial, c’est d’avoir battu Federer en étant toujours derrière. » Cette course-poursuite lui a cependant facilité la tâche. « Je ne risquais pas d’avoir peur de gagner, comme ça m’est arrivé dans mon premier set lors de mon dernier match contre Nadal. » Il n’a pas battu le meilleur Federer, mais Thierry Tulasne insiste : « Ç’a été un très bon match, sauf au tout début, quand Gilles a été débordé. »
« Alors, c’est qui le patron ? »
Il y eut, surtout au deuxième set, des échanges d’une grande intensité du fond de court.« Gaël (Monfils) m’avait dit : “T’inquiètes pas, avec lui, t’as quand même du temps pour jouer”, raconte Simon. Tu parles ! Au début, avec tous ces missiles que je prenais... Ah ! j’y ai pensé au Gaël. »Au moins le temps de faire tourner à plein régime les baguettes qui lui servent de jambes. « J’avais décidé de vivre ou mourir avec mon jeu à moi. Du droite gauche et hardi petit ! Par moments, ça partait tellement vite de son côté et du mien. Un joli ping-pong ! » Et ça a marché. D’autant que Federer rejetait ce scénario.« Il ne voulait pas rester au fond du court, analyse Tulasne. J’ai l’impression qu’il est à la recherche de l’antidote contre Nadal et qu’il veut désormais aller plus vers l’avant. Mais Gilles et un sacré contreur et un bon passeur. » Pas prudent en effet de changer son jeu face à un malin comme Simon. Ce lycéen brillant a toujours promené un regard acéré sur son sport. Ses opinions, on les connaît. Il ne faut jamais lui demander s’il a cinq minutes devant lui. Une demi-heure plus tard, il est toujours là, à tchatcher. Sacré Simon, qui faillit bien passer à travers les mailles du filet fédéral, trop grandes pour lui avec ses jambes fluettes (elles le sont restées) et son petit gabarit (il a bien grandi). « Si Luigi Borfiga, qui croyait en lui malgré des résultats décevants et des pépins physiques, ne l’avait pas gardé à l’INSEP, raconte Tulasne, il ne serait pas là aujourd’hui. » Merci à Luigi et bravo à « Tutu », qui s’est investi avec lui dès 2004 pour ses premiers résultats sur le circuit, avant de devoir l’abandonner pour des raisons de redéploiement à la FFT. « Ça fait près de deux ans que je l’ai repris, précise-t-il. Cet exploit, il ne vient pas d’hier, même si j’avoue qu’il m’a épaté. Être capable de finir le match comme il l’a fait, ça prouve une force mentale extraordinaire. Je croyais bien le connaître, mais en fait, je continue à le découvrir. » Quand les deux hommes se sont retrouvés dans les vestiaires, la scène n’a pas manqué de sel. « Je lui ai lancé : “Alors, c’est qui le patron ?”, raconte Simon. Et lui m’a répondu : “Mais, qu’est-ce qui s’est passé ?!” » Non, Tulasne n’avait pas rêvé. « En quinze ans de carrière de joueur et autant comme entraîneur, j’en ai vécu des moments forts, avouait-il. Mais celui-ci, c’est le plus beau. Et il n’y a pas que moi qui ai été impressionné. Tout le monde dans le vestiaire est venu féliciter Gilles. Même Söderling, qui ne décoince jamais, a traversé le vestiaire. Les gens sont même venus me féliciter, moi. Un truc qui n’arrive jamais. » Désormais, le Français va pouvoir enlever son étiquette de « champion des petits tournois ». Quatre titres déjà, mais pas le moindre huitième de finale en Grand Chelem ni le moindre quart en Masters Series. Enfin, ça, c’était jusqu’à hier et une très propre victoire de confirmation contre l’Argentin Jose Acasuso (6-3, 6-4). Pourtant, « la nuit n’a pas été reposante, racontait Simon hier. À chaque fois que je fermais les yeux, des tas d’images me revenaient. Mais je la voulais, cette victoire. Si j’avais perdu, mon succès sur Federer n’aurait plus eu la même saveur. » Et l ’aventure continue. Ce sera aujourd’hui face au teenager croate Marin Cilic, tombeur surprise d’Andy Roddick hier mais que Simon a déjà battu deux fois.

tedlesurfeur
07-25-2008, 04:19 PM
:p I'm a Franosaure :p

jitterbug
07-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Toronto QF: Gilles Simon (FRA) def. Marin Cilic (CRO) 3-6 6-2 6-3

I didn't watch the match because I didn't want to jinx him, but judging by Fran's commentary, it was so bad it was actually funny :rolls:

Eliande
07-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Well... he won! It wasn't pleasant, but what matters is that Gilles is in the semis now.
He seemed very tired, though, so I hope he'll get to rest a bit, before tomorrow's semi.
Well done to Gilles!:D

Tutu
07-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Well... he won! It wasn't pleasant, but what matters is that Gilles is in the semis now.
He seemed very tired, though, so I hope he'll get to rest a bit, before tomorrow's semi.
Well done to Gilles!:D
He did seem really tired. The schedulers have been horrible to him but hopefully he will get a bit of rest and will come back fighting tomorrow. Allez! I really think he can do it... :banana:

gambit84
07-25-2008, 06:03 PM
ok, the match was horrible but it doesn't matter...this is an orgasmic moment :smoke:

but please little chicken tomorrow play the bhdtl, use it, don't be afraid

you rock :rocker2:

jitterbug
07-25-2008, 06:07 PM
He's on the ATP homepage :rocker2: and on their Play of the Week!

Tutu
07-25-2008, 06:08 PM
ok, the match was horrible but it doesn't matter...this is an orgasmic moment :smoke:

but please little chicken tomorrow play the bhdtl, use it, don't be afraid

you rock :rocker2:

Little chicken. :rocker2:

gambit84
07-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Little chicken. :rocker2:

absolutely :rocker2:

Truc
07-25-2008, 06:45 PM
I did go to GM and it's one of the best Simon threads I've ever seen in GM, actually, he did push his way to the victory and he knows it.
"Cilic has the shots, but Simon made him forget anything he knew. By the end he looked like he wouldnt be able to remember his name if someone asked him." :rolls:

So proud of him for having found a way to win that match, I was sure he was going down this time when I saw him dead tired in the first set.
I actually found it more fun than the Chucho match! It wouldn't have felt the same without a real "pushing ugly" victory, it completes nicely our "Poussin weeks".

tedlesurfeur
07-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Ted is the one I admire :hug:

Thank you :hug: I admire you too

By the way, Zahira, You know Di, right ? (Patchett) She's a friend of mine now. She's a "Tedinette" :devil:

tedlesurfeur
07-25-2008, 06:52 PM
I did go to GM and it's one of the best Simon threads I've ever seen in GM, actually, he did push his way to the victory and he knows it.
"Cilic has the shots, but Simon made him forget anything he knew. By the end he looked like he wouldnt be able to remember his name if someone asked him." :rolls:

So proud of him for having found a way to win that match, I was sure he was going down this time when I saw him dead tired in the first set.
I actually found it more fun than the Chucho match! :lol: It wouldn't have felt the same without a "pushing ugly" victory, it completes nicely our "Poussin weeks".

Good to know. I actually tried out on the court something I saw Poussin do in his match against Haas :lol: it was a deep flattened ball, then a deeper and even flatter ball (still crossed), then a mid court powerless shot and then a DHL BH powerful passing shot.
The more I change rythm the easier it was :lol:

Truc
07-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Grrrrr, Kiefer next, I would have preferred Blake, Kiwi is on fire, it would have been more fun to counter Blake's ballbashing...

And Gilles said in the interview at the beginning of the week there were two top 10 players he hadn't played yet, Fed and Blake, he seems always so eager to complete his collections, he keeps saying this kind of things.

Brego
07-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Oh my. That was a hard match to watch. How he came out with the win I don't know. He looked so tired but he still kept fighting.

Allez Poussin against Keifer.

Hi Ted. Glad to see you back here. What a time to miss Gilles playing Roger. Hope your move went O.K.

Truc
07-25-2008, 08:06 PM
How he came out with the win I don't know.:lol:

He looks so exhausted in his interview on AMS.tv! :eek: He can hardly articulate and speak English. He says maybe he will withdraw from Cincy because he's dead tired. He wasn't feeling so tired against Federer, but now it's getting really, really tough.

Brego
07-25-2008, 08:20 PM
I hope he withdraws from Cincy. He has to save his energy for the Olympics and winning the Gold. ;)

Thanks Fran for the translation of the L'Equipe interview. :) As always his interviews are interesting never the same old rhetoric you get from some players.

This brilliant highschool student (that's for the "Simple Simon" BS! ) always has taken a scathing look at his sport.

I can't stand that GM nic name. :mad: Hopefully it will stop and Gilles will get the respect he deserves.

Puschkin
07-26-2008, 01:12 AM
I hope he withdraws from Cincy. He has to save his energy for the Olympics and winning the Gold. ;)

Unbelievable Gilles, Iron Man. :D

BTW: DId you see the Cincy draw? First round aginst Kiefer. :haha:

Truc
07-26-2008, 07:09 AM
I so hope he will pull out of Cincy.

There is a great article about him in L'Equipe today! I'll post it in the article thread because it's not just about Toronto, it's more a portrait - do you want to practice your translation skills, Ted (or somebody else)? :devil: It's pretty long just for one person to translate.
He's into politics. ^^ I think I prefer not to know for which wing. I don't want Poussin to be pro-Sarko like everybody else in French tennis. :sobbing:

Truc
07-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Simon downs Cilic in underdog duel
The tough part of fairy tales is presumably the day after the happy ending, when the knight must figure out both how to live with a princess he hardly knows and how to dispose of that enormous dragon corpse rotting on the front lawn. Similarly in tennis, the days after a pillar-shaking upset can be the hardest ones. You can be out of your mind one day, but sometimes the trick is to get back in.

Friday's quarter-finals of the Rogers Cup were a fine example. The dragon-slayers involved were 19-year-old Marin Cilic of Croatia (who beat sixth seed Andy Roddick) and 23-year-old Gilles Simon of France (who somehow overcame No. 1 Roger Federer, two rounds back). They were ranked 44th and 22nd in the world, respectively, playing for a shot at the semi-finals of a big-time tournament.

Naturally they combined for 101 unforced errors. That might sound like a lot, because it is. :lol:

It was the elder of the two, Simon, who emerged with 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 win. For his part, Cilic was responsible for 64 of those errant shots. The gangly 6-foot-6 Croatian began by crushing groundstrokes from both sides and pounding serves past his exhausted French opponent, who has now played nine matches in the past 12 days after winning in Indianapolis last week. Simon looked cooked.

So Simon went to a bold strategy: Make the points longer. The longer and slower he played, the more errors Cilic made. By the end, the 19-year-old had missed about every kind of shot you can miss. We would have interviewed him after the match, but he probably missed the door. :lol:

"When you play fast, he just play on the baseline; he's hitting the ball so hard," the smile-prone Simon said. "But when you play slowly, he missed some easy shots because he just doesn't manage to finish the point himself. He needs the speed of the opponent.

"[So] I just wanted to put the ball inside [the court] on the backhand five, six, seven, 10 times because sometimes he's a little bit impatient, and he's trying some shots he shouldn't try."

Pretty? No. Of course, unseeded players do not hold a monopoly on errant performances. In the second match of the day, veteran Nicolas Kiefer blew seventh seed James Blake off the court 6-1, 6-2. With a seed-free road to the final ahead of him, Blake managed just seven winners, three of which came away from the net, to 24 unforced errors. (...)
http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=680438

jitterbug
07-26-2008, 07:48 AM
By the end, the 19-year-old had missed about every kind of shot you can miss. We would have interviewed him after the match, but he probably missed the door.

So mean of the author but so funny :lol:

Brego
07-27-2008, 02:54 AM
Well it's been a great two weeks for Gilles and us. I'm so proud of him and all he's done.

I hope he doesn't play Cinci and will rest for the Olympics.

Take a well deserved break Gillou.

07-27-2008, 04:22 AM
Well I'm sure he caught a lot of people's attention with his performance in this Tournament. I know he did mine ;)

Truc
07-27-2008, 05:37 AM
A bit late, but here was his post-match interview after the QF:

G. SIMON/M. Cilic
3-6, 6-2, 6-3

Q. Who's your conditioning coach, and are you paying him enough?
GILLES SIMON: It's Paul Quétin. He works with the French Federation. Yeah, we did a great job. I always be a good runner, so...

Q. You've had to do a lot of running in the last two weeks.
GILLES SIMON: Yeah, but I run more the next few weeks again.

Q. He started out hitting some very big shots and was giving you some trouble. Seemed like at a certain point you started just keeping the ball in and letting him make mistakes. Was that part of what you were looking at?
GILLES SIMON: Yes, because Marin is a very good player. He has a huge serve and a good return. Then when you play fast he just play on the baseline. He's hitting the ball so hard also.
But when you play slowly we could say that he missed some easy shots because he just doesn't manage to finish the point himself. He need the speed of the opponent. That's why he had a very good start. He played three very nice game.
Then I just wanted, yeah, to put the ball inside on the backhand five, six, seven, ten times. But I didn't want to change that, because sometimes he's a little bit impatient and he's trying some shots he shouldn't try and giving some points.

Q. Is that part of what happens when you're a younger player in terms of impatience and in terms of not quite having your shots down?
GILLES SIMON: No. I don't think it's because he's young. I mean, maybe he can do something to change this. He will never have a big forehand like González or Andreev. He's going to keep the same forehand.
But maybe if he comes more often to the net, if he's coming - not every time - but, yes, one point he come and one point he stay, then for the opponent it's harder.
But he's just playing from the baseline and he never comes to the net. Even when you're far from the ball you just put the ball inside and you run, you run until he miss.

Q. I know you have you've been playing a lot of tennis over the past two weeks, but have you been able to sit and reflect about what's it's been like to be on the greatest run of your career?
GILLES SIMON: I mean, I didn't realize yet what is happening. I'm just so confident I want to win every match, even if I'm tired. I know I'm playing very good at the moment, so I want to try to win the more match I can to have the better ranking at the end of the week.
Because you know, when you play tennis, sometimes after you can be injured or something like this and the confidence just go away like this.
So I'm just trying to play with this and to win all the match I can.

Q. James Blake has just lost. You'll be playing Nicolas Kiefer. What do you know about him?
GILLES SIMON: Nicolas is a good player. Can be a surprise, but not a big surprise that he won today, because was maybe No.4 in the world. He was injured, but he played some good tournaments this year. He played semi in Hamburg, so it will a hard match like usual.
But, yeah, I just give -- I just hope that we are going to play a great match with a great fight. Even if I died on the court, yeah, I just give the maximum tomorrow.

Q. What does it say about the men's tour right now that in this tournament, which is a very tough field, that it's two unseeded players on one side of the semifinal?
GILLES SIMON: That mean that finally the level between all the player is very close. The last two years it was always Roger and Rafa. Last year is Djokovic, and every time the three same players in semifinal and final.
But this year it's starting to change a little bit. That mean that they are very good players still. Yeah, I mean, they're the champions. But if they are not playing their best tennis they can lose the match. That's only what I mean.

Q. Has the wind been much of a factor in the play the last two or three days or so?
GILLES SIMON: Yeah, I think.

Q. Has it affected the forehand or the backhand side more or the serves?
GILLES SIMON: I don't know. All the game. I mean, everything is better, so...
There is not one shot.

Q. I meant the wind.
GILLES SIMON: Yeah, yeah, I know.

Q. Just the same?
GILLES SIMON: No, just the same. I don't even feel the wind. Never. I know there is some but it's not too much, so doesn't affect my game for the moment.

Q. How tired are you right now, or how tired were you when you started the match? What kind of a night did you have last night?
GILLES SIMON: Right now it's difficult to walk. But like usual, with a good massage and some stretching and a good rest, tomorrow I'll be a new guy.

Q. When do you feel the fatigue? You seem to get on the court and you find another gear. When do you feel the fatigue: before and after or just after?
GILLES SIMON: Every time. I am playing with this every time. But like I said, when you are tired, that mean that you won some match. Or if you are tired at the first match, that's not good for you.
But if you win nine match in a row like this, even if you are tired you play with the confidence. The confidence is more important than to be exhausted at the end of the point.

Q. When is the last time you felt this tired, or have you ever felt this tired?
GILLES SIMON: Yeah, I remember, of course. The last time it was my first match in the Australian Open against Massu. I won 6-4 in the fifth. First time I play fifth set. Yeah, they have to carry me to the locker room. I couldn't walk.

Q. What do you do to rest? Watch TV, a movie, read a book, just go straight to sleep and wake up when you have to?
GILLES SIMON: Yeah, I try to sleep a little bit when I'm back at the hotel. Every time I'm playing first match, so I have to wake up early.
Then there is nothing to do. I mean, I finish the match, with the press, the massage, the stretching, everything. When I'm finally done with this it's already 8:00, so just have dinner.

Truc
07-27-2008, 06:44 AM
It sounds like he's still intending to play in Cincy for the time being... He says he won't celebrate yet.
Bread And Butter
(...)
If you play tennis, there's a drill that you can employ to measure your consistency with a coach or partner. Begin play at the baseline, and attempt to hit twenty balls in succession during a rally into the far box beyond the service lines. Add one for each time the ball lands in the box, subtract one if the ball goes into the net, lands short or goes out.
I call the professional version of this "box tennis". You can make a pretty good living if you can keep the ball deep enough for long enough, outwaiting your opponent. It's an absolutely honorable strategy, but it's very hard to get excited watching it, even when it's executed as well as Gilles Simon shows it can be done.
I was standing next to Kamakshi Tandon as Simon broke in the third set to even the score at 4-4. I said "I can appreciate the skill being shown, but to me it comes across as white rice." Kamakshi thought for a second and said, "more like bread and butter." Either way, the match to this point had been nutritious but not exactly tasty. Then all of a sudden it began to fizz. (...)
After the match, Simon was as charming in defeat at his press conference as he'd been all week in victory. When asked if he knew about the Cincinnati draw, he smiled and said "ah yes - the revenge." Was he going to have a party now his run was over and he could enjoy the nine victory streak? Another smile - "not now, because I'm too professional."
If you want an example of the expression "leaving nothing out on the court," check out the final set tie break. It took us a while to get here - it certainly wasn't ugly, but neither could you have described the first 34 games of the match high level tennis. No matter. At the death, Gilles Simon and Nicholas Kiefer took good bread and butter and turned it into a small feast.
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2008/07/inside-the-box.html

The general perplexity about his game so makes me laugh - I totally get the kick out of watching his "box tennis". :lol:

Truc
07-27-2008, 06:45 AM
And nothing new since I already copied&pasted his interviews, but I found that cute too:

Simon Says: Gilles Simon's superb run in his own charming words.
Repent, all ye who made jokes at Gilles Simon's expense when he topped the US Open Series standings last week with his win in Indianapolis. No one expected that to last, but thanks to his run in Toronto, he'll remain top of the leaderboard this week as well.
The Frenchman speaks excellent English and has given thoughtful, detailed answers to the questions peppered at him since his monumental upset of Roger Federer in the second round here. So when looking back at his excellent week, why not let Simon say it for himself?
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/travelblogue/2008/07/toronto-simon-s.html

Kolya
07-27-2008, 07:53 AM
So close to beating Kiefer!

But congratulations on a excellent run, hopefully his form will continue.

Truc
07-27-2008, 03:03 PM
N. KIEFER/G. Simon
6-7, 6-3, 7-6

Q. Was three hours just too much of a match after all that you've played in the past few weeks?
GILLES SIMON: Yeah, that was very long, but not too long. I could do the dropshot the last point, so I had power enough to play.
But I really, yeah, I didn't need this match. I didn't need to play a long match like this, but it was a great fight. I'm proud of the match I've done.

Q. Have you thought about how important it is for how well you've played the past few weeks, winning all nine matches, how big that is in your career?
GILLES SIMON: Yes, of course it's very important. I mean, I didn't know I was about to do something like this. That's a good point, even today. I was really tired before the match, and finally I could play more than three hours.
I'm surprising myself every day. I try to keep all the good things I've done during the last few weeks to improve my game a little bit.

Q. Have you seen the Cincinnati draw?
GILLES SIMON: Yes, I know.

Q. What do you think about that?
GILLES SIMON: Yeah, the revenge. It's okay. But right now I'm not thinking about Cincinnati.

Q. What has improved most in your game?
GILLES SIMON: I think it's the capacity to play every match, to give everything on every match. Usually, like I said, I was tired after two match, and then the third match was so bad.
Finally I won nine match in a row. Really it's the first time for me. It's not like I woke up the morning and it's, Okay, I feel good. No, I feel like I felt the other time, but this time I managed to move my legs.
Now that I know that able to do something like this, for sure when I be tired in the future I will just think about winning the match, not about -- yeah.

Q. How frustrating was it when you were up 5-4 in the third set and you had a chance to break him and you had that overhead smash that went into the net?
GILLES SIMON: Yeah, I mean, it was not a match point. It was just 15-All. But there is so many points I could loose on the court. So, I mean, there is a bad end and I lost this point.
But, I mean, at 5-3 in the tiebreak, I played an unbelievable backhand down of the line. Could be out or we can replay the match if we want. I'd like to. Maybe I will win.
No, I just gave all I had today. I just wanted to win. It was break up for him in the first set and finally I won. It was break up for him in the third and finally I came back. I had a chance and the opportunity to win the match. Finally I lost.
I mean, I could lose so many match before. I could lose against Federer and I could lose against Haas in Indianapolis. This time was his day, not mine.

Q. You said earlier in the week that you hadn't had time to contemplate all the good things you had done. You said that you could not play for a year, to enjoy it for the next year without playing. Have you thought now about how much these last two weeks have meant to you, and will you celebrate?
GILLES SIMON: Yes, but not right now. I'm too professional. Like you said, I have a tough first round next week against Nicolas. It won't be easy.
I have time it party when I come back in France. Right now I just have to do my job as good as possible. Like I said, I want to -- I'm so confident actually. I want to win all the match I can, because even if I'm not tired, I'm not injured, it's not the same.
To be tired it's not an excuse to lose the match. To be injured maybe, but...
No, I just want to keep that in mind. I won nine match in a row. I just lost today, but it was a great fight today. I will continue like this the next week.
If finally I lose, then I will have time celebrate for the Olympic Games.

Q. Have you been half expecting to do something great like this, or has it come as a little bit of a surprise?
GILLES SIMON: I don't really know. I knew that I was able to defeat the top players. I defeated, yeah, maybe I defeated Davydenko, Djokovic, this time Federer.
I defeated some good players, but I knew that something was missing in my game. Like I said, the capacity to play, to win this match and to win again, and four, five match in a row. Usually I just defeated one and then I lost the round after.
I'm not surprised to defeat them. I'm just surprised to defeat them nine times in a row.

Q. What is your predominant emotion now? Is it relief or pleasure in what you've done or disappointment or a mixture, or difficult to tell?
GILLES SIMON: Yeah, difficult to tell, because there was so many good things. I have so many good moments in my mind, and finally I can't forget this match. I just love this one. I really wanted to play the final here.
I knew I could won this match. That's why I came back every time in the match is because in myself I know that I can win.
So finally I'm disappointed to lose this match. I don't know. I try to forget this and to keep Federer.

Q. When you consider what you've done in the past two weeks and the way some of the top seeds have fallen in this tournament, does that inspire you moving forward, that no matter who you're facing you have the confidence to prevail?
GILLES SIMON: Yeah, like I said, I was never scared about the player I will play. Never. If it's Federer or Nadal, that's not the problem for me.
When I am in good shape like this I know that I'm able to defeat them, so I am always playing to win the match. If I think that I'm going to lose I just don't go on the court. I'm not here just to win one set or -- I don't know. I'm just here to win.
So it's not really a surprise. Yeah, it's a good thing, because for me every time I play a top player like this it's like a new test to know if I have the level to play against them.
When you play this kind of match, what is good is that you see what is your limit, what is the part of your game you have to improve. Even if you defeat them. You know because they're so good and you have to play your best tennis.
All the shots that -- every time I'm just pushing the ball inside. When you play Federer you're just -- yeah, the ball is coming so fast so you lose the point.
I mean, yeah, they are very, very good test match, but I know that I can defeat them, so...

Brego
07-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Wow. There's so many interviews, articles, pics of Gilles these days. :D

Maybe Keifer will pull out of Cincy instead. He must be tired too.

Pepi.
07-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Good luck in cincy :hug:

Truc
07-29-2008, 06:45 AM
Maybe Keifer will pull out of Cincy instead. He must be tired too.I don't think so, I've been regularly checking the Kiwi news lately and he definitely sounds like he wants to play. (He has a great website, he updates it so often!)
He isn't more tired than Gilles, the final was not exactly exhausting. Gilles should still be the more tired from both.

4th match on Grand Stand tonight -> livestream again, we are spoilt.

jitterbug
07-29-2008, 09:31 AM
I can't watch this match, I have an early class tomorrow (5 straight hours of lecture :help:) but allez Gilles!

*Raine
07-29-2008, 09:47 AM
What time will it be?

Eliande
07-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Gilles is not playing against Kiefer. His opponent is someone called Ram.:confused:

Truc
07-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah, Kiwi withdrew because of a foot injury.
As for me, I like to think the prospect of playing Gilles again was just too exhausting.

tedlesurfeur
07-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Gilles is not playing against Kiefer. His opponent is someone called Ram.:confused:

a LL.

Eliande
07-29-2008, 09:17 PM
As for me, I like to think the prospect of playing Gilles again was just too exhausting.

You might actually be right!;)

Truc
07-29-2008, 10:08 PM
7-6 6-4, the 1st set was not pretty, but he was quite solid on his serve and played well in the 2nd. Good job.
I didn't pay attention to the stats, anybody knows how many W/UE he had?

Not much rest again, he's 1st match on CC tomorrow:
CENTER COURT start 11:00 am
[7] J Blake (USA) vs [LL] R Ram (USA) or G Simon (FRA)

Tutu
07-29-2008, 10:10 PM
At least he's on center and i'll get to see him! :banana: I'm sure he'll beat the ballbashing blake. Allez! He really wanted to play James last week.. Great that he gets the chance now.

Eliande
07-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Did you see the girl wearing the t-shirt saying "Allez Gilles"?:)

TMJordan
07-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Keep it going Gilles :D

Blake is so beatable it`s not funny, please beat him Gilles :D

But isn`t he really tired now? :unsure:

naturefreak525
07-29-2008, 10:33 PM
7-6 6-4, the 1st set was not pretty, but he was quite solid on his serve and played well in the 2nd. Good job.
I didn't pay attention to the stats, anybody knows how many W/UE he had?

Not much rest again, he's 1st match on CC tomorrow:
CENTER COURT start 11:00 am
[7] J Blake (USA) vs [LL] R Ram (USA) or G Simon (FRA)

He had 17 W and 17 UE.:)

Did you see the girl wearing the t-shirt saying "Allez Gilles"?:)

i saw that. it was cute.

Guy Haines
07-29-2008, 11:11 PM
A relief that Gilles didn't have to play against Kiwi again! :D

Gilles has the game to make Blake fall apart. One step at a time...

Brego
07-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Couldn't see today's match so was surprised to see it was Ram not Keifer that he beat.

First he gets to play Federer and now Blake.

Allez Gilles for tomorrow.

Nagyovafan
07-30-2008, 01:44 AM
Posted this in the wrong thread. I am brain dead, I swear....

I was at the match. Today is the only day this week where I don't have work, so I went up to watch Gilles play. The first set was hard to watch - he looked really tired. He would say, "Jouez!" to himself but he struggled to get into the match.

He got the break in the second and they had a bunch of easy holds after that. Hopefully he gets some rest.

I saw him walking around a few hours before the match and I got to talk to him. He was super-nice. I spoke to him in French, but I was nervous, so my usually good French sounded sloppy. He just smiled. I told him that the American television people were mispronouncing his name and he said, "They always call me Simon (SI-mon)". He was really nice.

Scotso
07-30-2008, 04:28 AM

What a chickenshit. I can't stand Kiefer, so typical that he would withdraw knowing that Gilles would probably get his revenge. Bah!

Keep up the winning, Gilles! :rocker2: I really hope he crushes Corncob-ass.

Brego
07-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Nagyovafan thanks for sharing your experience of talking with Gilles with us. :)

Scott are you still planning to go to Washington?

gambit84
07-30-2008, 05:16 PM
today I rushed off the sea just to watch Gillu :smoke:
he was really exhausted and finally he lost but I'm confident if hewas fresh he could beat the american gosling ( :p ), he has the right game to do it.
btw this is an amazing period for him, he's getting conscious of his real possibilities and I'm so proud of that.
now the olympic tournament, unfortunately eurosport will not show the tournament (just the men's final) but we will be there just for cheering little Gillu

:rocker2:

Truc
07-31-2008, 05:58 AM
His reaction in L’Equipe today (“One match too many”):
« Le match de trop »
« JUSQU’À CETTE BALLE de 5-2 au premier set, tout avait l’air d’aller. Et puis…
– Et puis plus rien. Rien dans les jambes, plus d’essence dans le moteur. Je voyais les balles à aller chercher mais je ne pouvais pas les toucher. Je me disais : “ Purée, vas-y, cours ! ” Mais rien à faire. Dès qu’il fallait frapper en bout de course, c’était mort. C’était le match de trop.
– Pourtant, même en servant mollement, vous avez longtemps gardé Blake en sourdine…
– Ce n’est pas un problème de service. Il m’en mis combien des retours gagnants ? Trois, quatre à tout casser. Non, ce qui me dérange, c’est qu’après six jeux j’ai déconné tactiquement. J’ai voulu le faire jouer au lieu de continuer à l’agresser. Je me suis tué tout seul. Après, quand Blake prend confiance, il se met à servir vraiment, et ça devient très dur.
– Un titre à Indianapolis, une première demi-finale en Masters Series à Toronto en scalpant Federer, que retenez-vous de cette tournée américaine ?
– D’Indianapolis je retiens que je peux battre de très bons mecs et gagner un tournoi en jouant mal. Je suis arrivé à me persuader que je n’avais pas besoin d’être le plus beau pour gagner.Même quand les sensations sont moyennes. À Toronto, je me suis prouvé que je pouvais battre Federer. Eh ouais, ça, je n’en étais pas sûr. Et aussi, que je pouvais enchaîner les matches de haut niveau.
– Et maintenant, les Jeux…
– J’aurai le couteau entre les dents parce que rien ne dit que j’aurai une deuxième chance. Mais avant, repos, repos, repos. Je vais hiberner chez moi et vous ne pourrez pas venir parce que vous n’avez pas les clés. »

Truc
07-31-2008, 06:13 AM
The journalist means everything was looking OK until that BP to get a 5-2 lead in the 1st set. And then...
"... and then zero. Nothing in the legs, no gas left in the tank." He was seeing the ball and couldn't reach it. He was thinking: "Go, run!" But no chance. It was one match too many.
No power at all in his serve, but it wasn't a matter of serve. How many return winners did Blake play? 3 or 4, maybe.
He's annoyed by the fact that he picked the wrong tactics after 6 games, though. He tried to make him play while he should have kept attacking. "I killed myself all alone". And then Blake became more confident, started serving well and it became very tough.
From Indy he will retain that he can beat very good players and win a tournament even when he's playing badly. "I managed to convince myself that I don't need to be the best looking one out there to win."
From Toronto he will retain he proved to himself he can beat Federer ("yeah, I wasn't sure of that") and also that he can string together matches at a high level.
He will be highly motivated for the Olympics (he says he will play with "a knife between the teeth") because he's not sure to have a 2nd chance in 4 years.
But for the time being he's going to "hibernate at home" and rest, rest, rest.

I hope he will digest his dozen of McFlurry well...

jitterbug
07-31-2008, 07:11 AM
Oreo McFlurry :drool:

tedlesurfeur
07-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Posted this in the wrong thread. I am brain dead, I swear....

I was at the match. Today is the only day this week where I don't have work, so I went up to watch Gilles play. The first set was hard to watch - he looked really tired. He would say, "Jouez!" to himself but he struggled to get into the match.

He got the break in the second and they had a bunch of easy holds after that. Hopefully he gets some rest.

I saw him walking around a few hours before the match and I got to talk to him. He was super-nice. I spoke to him in French, but I was nervous, so my usually good French sounded sloppy. He just smiled. I told him that the American television people were mispronouncing his name and he said, "They always call me Simon (SI-mon)". He was really nice.

Wow, another Simon - Youzhny fan, a strange combination, but there are plenty of us in that case. It lets me all puzzled :confused:

Welcome to the forum anyway :wavey:

Why did he say ?? he just smiled at what you said ?? Give him the address of the forum next time, ha ha ha :lol: :p

Scotso
08-01-2008, 04:13 AM
Nagyovafan thanks for sharing your experience of talking with Gilles with us. :)

Scott are you still planning to go to Washington?

Probably not, it's too hot and most of the good players to watch will be in Beijing. Not really worth it this year. Plus I'm probably moving soon and need to save my money.

Brego
08-07-2008, 04:24 AM
Gilles to play Soderling :( in the opening round.

10) Simon - Soderling
Niemeyer - Cañas
Bellucci - Hrbaty
Guccione - (8) Blake

Allez Gilles against Robin. Robin leads the H2H 2 - 1. Gillou avenge your loss earlier this year in Rotterdam.

Scott, I agree, Washington probably wouldn't be worth it.

Truc
08-07-2008, 05:56 AM
And Monfils-Simon (FRA) - Bhupathi-Paes (IND) in doubles.

I hope he got over the painful Rotterdam match better than I did, I'm still a bit traumatized - everytime he gets outplayed, I think of Rotterdam again.

Truc
08-07-2008, 05:58 AM
But *if* he gets past the first round, he has a great draw!
I hadn't even looked at the other names, just saw "Soderling" and :sobbing:. :lol:

Truc
08-07-2008, 06:35 AM
I don't know if everybody reads the Beijing thread, so the Gilles related news are:

He's sharing a room with Gaël. Gaël seems so overexcited to be at the Olympics, I'm afraid he will be particularly tiresome, poor Poussin! :lol: But they know each other for a long time, Gilles is used to it, I guess.

Since he arrived one day later in Beijing together with Arnaud & Mika, they didn't show up for the press conference of the French team yesterday and were resting at the Village, so there aren't much news and pics about him, it's pretty much all about Gaël and Alizé so far.

Gaël said in interviews he wants a medal in doubles too. :rocker2:

tedlesurfeur
08-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Dreams are good for the spirit I guess. This is positive thinking. Always go on court thinking you can win.

Soderling, huh? Oh well.. :rolleyes: It's the last straw for me :rolleyes:

Tutu
08-07-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't know if everybody reads the Beijing thread, so the Gilles related news are:

He's sharing a room with Gaël. Gaël seems so overexcited to be at the Olympics, I'm afraid he will be particularly tiresome, poor Poussin! :lol: But they know each other for a long time, Gilles is used to it, I guess.

Since he arrived one day later in Beijing together with Arnaud & Mika, they didn't show up for the press conference of the French team yesterday and were resting at the Village, so there aren't much news and pics about him, it's pretty much all about Gaël and Alizé so far.

Gaël said in interviews he wants a medal in doubles too. :rocker2:
Omg, don't they ever speak about Tatiana anymore? :o shes the only french girl with a legitimate shot at a medal. :o

Allez Gilles and Gael. Im so excited. Allez France! :D

Truc
08-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Tatiana wasn't at the press conference either because she was training at the same time, that's why all the interviews and articles focus a lot on Alizé.

Pepi.
08-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Allez Gilles :)

good luck :banana:

Truc
08-07-2008, 02:35 PM
It's not very interesting, but since Poussin is mentioned, for a change:
Jeudi, dans le réfectoire du Village, la famille du tennis français est en train de déjeûner. Cédric Pioline, responsable du haut niveau masculin, reçoit un appel sur son téléphone portable. Il est tout simplement informé en direct des tirages au sort des tableaux du simple hommes et du simple dames, et annonce à la cantonade les adversaires des Français. Gaël Monfils est intéressé, mais Gilles Simon se bouche les oreilles ! Il ne veut rien savoir, surtout ne pas connaitre comme cela, à l'avance, au Village, le nom de son adversaire du premier tour. Rendons-lui service, ce n'est pas non plus ici que nous allons le communiquer !http://pekin.franceolympique.com/pekin/art/7/677.shtml
The French tennis team was eating at the restaurant of the village together when Pioline got a phone call in the middle of the lunch - the draw had been made. So he started telling everybody's first round opponent, but Gilles put his hands over his ears and forbad to tell him who he's playing. He doesn't want to know.

Poor Gillou, maybe it's better he doesn't know indeed, it's a tough draw for a seed!

Brego
08-07-2008, 02:44 PM
:awww: Poor Gilles.

Thanks Fran - for all the updates on Gilles.

Gael seems so excited to be there. It's cute. :)

Monfils-Simon (FRA) vs Bhupathi-Paes (IND) :eek:

Guy Haines
08-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Soderling.:ras: Good luck to Gilles in avenging the Rotterdam loss. I hope he plays with a knife between his teeth.

Today I discovered why people mention "Hot Stuff" in relation to Gilles. :lol:

Truc I also like the old YouTube clip you posted with Gilles' expert World Cup prediction: :spit:

Truc
08-08-2008, 09:21 AM
You're welcome, I didn't know him at all at the time because I wasn't following French tennis, but I really liked his valuable contribution on the topic!

Still not many news about Gilles in Beijing, except that he played poker with Gaël & Teddy Riner (a judoka, big star in France, weighs twice as much as "Poussin", too bad there aren't any pics!).
Tulasne's new FB status is "I'm in Beijing and it's fabulous!" so it sounds like everybody is having fun. All the articles stress the French tennis delegation is so enthusiastic.

Alizé said in interviews they're going to the opening ceremony even though people are telling them it's boring and they'll have to wait hours, etc. I hope they won't change their mind and we will be able to spot them!

tedlesurfeur
08-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Omg, don't they ever speak about Tatiana anymore? :o shes the only french girl with a legitimate shot at a medal. :o

Are you kidding me ? :rolleyes: She's far from her level right now.. she hasn't been playing for ages :eek: She'll be stopped early, trust me. Getting back on top takes time.

Plus, why did she start smoking this summer? this wasn't a great idea of her for her pulmonary capacity. I just don't get her.

_________

Give me a G
Bring the rest on
To victory
To Gilles Simon :cool:

You all seem to be afraid. Wasn't Poussin tired in Rotterdam??

Truc
08-08-2008, 10:52 AM
He looked fresh as a daisy to me at the end of the match. Did you see the match?
I don't want to be mean, but the scoreline was almost flattering for Gillou, it was a demolition.
(Then again, I watched most of it through my fingers, I might have missed some parts of the action.)

Truc
08-09-2008, 06:51 AM
http://www.itftennis.com/olympics/event/scheduleday1.asp
Court 5 - 10.30am start
1 Womens Singles - First Round
(IP) SFAR, Selima (TUN) v WOZNIACKI, Caroline (DEN)
2 Mens Singles - First Round
(10) SIMON, Gilles (FRA) v SODERLING, Robin (SWE)

I'm so scared for that match.