switch from Fischer to Head [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

switch from Fischer to Head

KitinovRules
07-09-2008, 08:16 AM
I had for few years Fischer M Pro Number One 98 . It was OK racquet , little bit heavier than expected so I've had few problems here and there.
I used to have pain in the elbow after using it too often - let's say for two days in a row for two hours, I did felt some pain.
The most important thing was the spin- this Fischer could generate enormous spin.

Since I broke it (for the first time in my life, I managed to do it :(), I was thinking of buying Head MicroGEL Radical Racquets Mid+. It is the same head size, lighter than the Fischer .

I play from the baseline, with lots of spin ,my game doesn't rely on serve very much- but some of the ralies I finish on the net . (you can read this as that I am not going at the net only for handshake).

I am not a pro, but I play three times a week. I think that I could say that I fall into ammateur category :). I used to play on everyday base in high school years, so I have solid skills.

What do you guys think , is it good to buy a MicroGel Radical? How can this affect my game. What are the biggest differences between the two. I haven't done any demo for Radical just want to know what does this racquet offers.

jazar
07-09-2008, 07:36 PM
the string pattern on the fischer is a little more open that on the radical, so the radical will not be so helpful with spin. as you mention, the radical is a bit lighter, so will be easier to swing and will allow you a faster racket head speed, which will in turn help you generate more spin again. it is also a very flexible racket, so will be nice and easy on your arm

KitinovRules
07-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Thank Jazar,

Any suggestion about the string?
I have used Ballistic Polymono so far. It is not the best string in the world, but I am not breaking it every half an hour.

jazar
07-10-2008, 08:35 PM
that is a durable string which also helps with control, though it isnt the most comfortable of strings to use

henwal_of_sweden
08-20-2008, 08:18 AM
The Pro No 1 98 racket is a fantastic advanced players racket. The feel is outstanding.

If you are switching to HEAD MG Radical you will experience a slightly more head heavy design in a frame that plays way stiffer then the Pro No 1. You will not have the same Plough-effect as with the Fischer. You will also experience that the Head frame is a bit more unstable on offcenter hits.

The advantage with the Radical is that it will give you more power and that it´s lighter then the Fischer.

The most important issue though is that the shape of the handle on the Head racket is pretty unique. It´s only head and technifibre that has the kind of gripshape. Fischer has a more square/even handle when the head and technifibre has a Rectangular shape. It takes some time to get adjusted to.