Will anyone be seeing Andy this summer?

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-12-2004, 06:15 PM
:( I wont be

star
07-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Me either.

I think Naldo will, and brobably Fumus.

And Mister Q will go to the USO, but not sure if he will go inside Arthur Ashe where Andy is sure to be playing all the time.

superpinkone37
07-12-2004, 06:30 PM
i wish i was, but being in southern california, he wont really be anywhere near here, except fot the ESPY awards, but not any tournaments. the only hope i have is if by some miracle i win some contest i entered in to go to the US Open but obviously thats not gonna happen. i guess i gotta wait till next year.............

i was supposed to go to the tourney in LA today and im not sure why i didnt. ive never been there, do any of you guys know if its any good? andy's not there i know, but i never followed through with getting tickets from my coach so.....

Deboogle!.
07-12-2004, 06:32 PM
I'm moving to SoCal in just over 3 weeks :cool: :yippee:

Andyway, no I won't be seeing him this summer:( But I saw him twice this year already so I'm not complaining:)

superpinkone37
07-12-2004, 06:36 PM
I'm moving to SoCal in just over 3 weeks :cool: :yippee:

Andyway, no I won't be seeing him this summer:( But I saw him twice this year already so I'm not complaining:)

really???? to where exactly are you moving in SoCal? and i only saw him once this year but im hoping next year i can go up to SanJose or to Scottsdale in addition to the Pacific Life Open. anybody know if either of those are good tournanments or not based on expereince?

Deboogle!.
07-12-2004, 06:39 PM
I'm moving right in LA. Close to Hollywood, Beverly Hills, downtown, etc. YAY!

Actually I went to Scottsdale this past year. There was a lot of rain and they don't schedule the tourney at the best time of year for the good weather down there (late Feb/Early March is just a bit too early down there)... but it was a WONDERFULLY run tournament. the grounds are gorgeous, the stadium is nice and small and if you get tickets early enough you can get incredible seats for great prices. I wasn't further back than three or four rows and they really let the seats up close. The volunteers are sweethearts and parking is nice and easy (just costs $5 but a huge close lot). I'd strongly recommend it, just dress warmly if you're going at night because the night sessions were really cold.

our buddy Jace went to the SanJose final this past year, so he can help you with that one :)

PinkFeatherBoa
07-12-2004, 06:50 PM
No more Andy for me, until at least the Paris TMS http://www.menstennisforums.com/images/smilies/frown.gif but I've seen him three times this year already so I shouldn't be moaning.:)

superpinkone37
07-12-2004, 06:51 PM
cool, im gonna look into going to scottsdale this year. my cousin, whom i went to indianwells with last year, goes to arizona a lot with her family, so we are hoping we can plan one of those trips around the tourney. thanks for ur help

Deboogle!.
07-12-2004, 06:54 PM
You're welcome :) I just got lucky last spring that the Scottsdale tourney was the same week as our family vacation. The tourney is a week earlier in 2005 than it was this year, so be warned that it's not the best time of year for weather. This year they had a big problem getting good players (it was Andy and then the next best player was Verkerk:o) - last year it was Agassi, Hewitt, Philippoussis, Srichaphan, etc..... a bunch of really good players and I was sad none of them were there this year, but I still had a good time and saw a lot of good tennis and saw a lot of players up close and stuff like that. It'd be nice if the tournament learned that the weather is too cold at night that time of year and they should never plan a night session...but I'm sure the will and I'm sure it'll be freeeeeeezing lmao

star
07-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Sometimes the weather can be really hot at that time too. Just a week later and it was boiling hot. The weather is really variable at that time of year.

Anyway, I am vacillating about getting tickets for the Masters. I think I have mostly decided no. I think I will just stick with Indian Wells. I get to see just about everybody I want to see at that tournament.

I might think about going again to the USCC but, it comes so close to IW and I wonder what kind of field they will have next year because the scheduling is likely to be weird again... Monte Carlo.... Houston..... Rome... Is'n't that the plan? I really hope Andy commits to the European season next year and doesn't fly back for Houston.

Deboogle!.
07-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Yea, that time of year is really weird in Scottsdale. My parents were there for those two weeks.... the week of the tournament was horrible and we had one day at the pool and the next week when I was back in Houston my parents were still there and it was in the 80s and gorgeous all week... but even then, it gets chilly at night (especially by your standards star :p) so it's just something to keep in mind at that tourney. Day and night matches are always different anyway, but in Scottsdale at that time of year it's exaggerated.

But anyway, sounds like you have some decisions to make about tourneys..poor you ;):p IMO, the Masters isn't worth the money. It's just an outrageous amount of money and yes, it's the top 8 players and the top 8 doubles teams but it's just SO much money for not much tennis... I happened to really like the "small tourney" atmosphere where some of the 'lesser' players are more accessible and I really enjoyed that whole atmosphere that it sounded like was lost at TMC.

As for Andy's claycourt schedule... if he doesn't plan better and commit to it more, I give up! lol

star
07-12-2004, 07:31 PM
From what jmp says, the players are quite accessible at the Masters.

I wouldn't mind going to a small tournament if the players I liked were going to be there, but I'm not traveling in order to see eg. Spadea. :lol: I would go if it were in the same town or a nearby town (although there is NOTHING nearby to me).

The problem is that the tournaments in the West are sort of clustered so I can pretty much only go to one..... max... two of them. When I look at it like that, IW wins hands down because it has women and men, and it has nearly all the top players. Plus the practice courts are terrific too.

And even the nightime wasn't cool..... even by my standards last year. It's so funny. You never know what you are going to get at that tournament. My first year was really hot, didn't even need a jacket at night and had to worry about dehydration. The next year was cold cold at night the first week. The next year was COLD COLD COLD day and night. And this year was boiling hot again.

superpinkone37
07-12-2004, 07:32 PM
You're welcome :) I just got lucky last spring that the Scottsdale tourney was the same week as our family vacation. The tourney is a week earlier in 2005 than it was this year, so be warned that it's not the best time of year for weather. This year they had a big problem getting good players (it was Andy and then the next best player was Verkerk:o) - last year it was Agassi, Hewitt, Philippoussis, Srichaphan, etc..... a bunch of really good players and I was sad none of them were there this year, but I still had a good time and saw a lot of good tennis and saw a lot of players up close and stuff like that. It'd be nice if the tournament learned that the weather is too cold at night that time of year and they should never plan a night session...but I'm sure the will and I'm sure it'll be freeeeeeezing lmao

oooh i hope andy will go to scottsdale next year, i know as he's getting bigger and bigger they stop going to smaller tournaments, and since he's the main reason i would go, i will be very disappointed if he skips it. i wonder when we'll know when he's commited to it.

star
07-12-2004, 07:38 PM
I know he like to play in the U.S. tournaments, but.. I think he needs to cut out San Jose or Memphis or Scottsdale if he continues to play Davis Cup.

superpinkone37
07-12-2004, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=star]From what jmp says, the players are quite accessible at the Masters. QUOTE]

i heard that the masters at the end of the year are great and like you said, the players are accessible, but only if you are are member. supposedly if you're not a member they are not very hospitable(sp?) and you're treated like shit. but i wouldnt know hands on. i had really wanted to go to houston this year but then i heard about all that stuff and i dont think it would be worth it to spend all that money

superpinkone37
07-12-2004, 07:40 PM
I know he like to play in the U.S. tournaments, but.. I think he needs to cut out San Jose or Memphis or Scottsdale if he continues to play Davis Cup.

i agree, he probably should, but i hope he doesnt!!!! he'll probably go to san jose for sure though, and i hope scottsdale

star
07-12-2004, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=star]From what jmp says, the players are quite accessible at the Masters. QUOTE]

i heard that the masters at the end of the year are great and like you said, the players are accessible, but only if you are are member. supposedly if you're not a member they are not very hospitable(sp?) and you're treated like shit. but i wouldnt know hands on. i had really wanted to go to houston this year but then i heard about all that stuff and i dont think it would be worth it to spend all that money

What do you mean "a member?" You mean of the Westside tennis club?

Jmp said they had autograph sessions each day with the top players.

superpinkone37
07-12-2004, 08:01 PM
yeah thats what i meant. i heard that if you're not a member of westside tennis club then theres not so much stuff you can do. but this is just what i heard so i have no personal experience. have any of you been there and have some other comments on how it was run, and if its worth my money, etc. i would really appreciate it

Deboogle!.
07-12-2004, 08:05 PM
And even the nightime wasn't cool..... even by my standards last year. It's so funny. You never know what you are going to get at that tournament. My first year was really hot, didn't even need a jacket at night and had to worry about dehydration. The next year was cold cold at night the first week. The next year was COLD COLD COLD day and night. And this year was boiling hot again.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH I was talking about Scottsdale and you about IW! LMFAO!!!!!!! Scottsdale is cold at night through about late April, even if it's hot during the day. That's why night sessions at Scottsdale are just a bad idea. I was SO COLDDDDDDDDDDDD.

Andyway... I just preferred the grounds at Scottsdale to those at Houston. I'd rather be able to watch the players play up close than have the opportunity to wait in line at an autograph session like they had at the Houston venue. At Scottsdale for like $40 you can get the best seats in the stadium. Good luck getting that at Houston - even for the USMCC not even the Masters! But everyone was treated very well at the USMCC this year, whether you were a member or not. If you're not a member, parking is kinda a pain but if you get there early enough it's not too bad. However if I were going to suggest one, I'd suggest Scottsdale over Houston - it has a smaller feel, the practice courts are more open, the parking is easier, the stadium is smaller, you can get better tickets, and it's much much less expensive. Plus, quite frankly, Arizona is a much nicer place than Houston :) but TMC is much much different from the USMCC I'm sure, so I don't know how valid mine and star's experiences at USMCC would be for the Masters Cup...

IMO the one spring tourney Andy needs to cut out is San Jose.... that'd leave his schedule AO then week off/DC preparation then DC weekend then week off, then Memphis then week off then Scottsdale then IW. San Jose is right after DC and takes out that week off before Memphis which is worth more points and more money and that's why I think he should play Memphis over San Jose. But I think Andy may even already have committed to San Jose next year :o

tennischickola
07-12-2004, 08:10 PM
Going to see Andy play Davis Cup in Sept. not really summertime but still its sometime...US DC team is playing Belarus in Charleston, SC and I only live like 2 hrs away from Charleston and plus they are playing the weekend of my 19th birthday so that's my gift...best one if you ask me! :bdaycake:

~Kell :toothy:

Deboogle!.
07-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Awesome!! tangy went to the DC tie in Connecticut earlier this year and said it was a blast. I'm sure you'll have a great time in that atmosphere, and even cooler that it's on your bday! :dance:

Havok
07-12-2004, 08:30 PM
How am I gonna see Andy this year star:scratch: It's the women's turn this year in Montreal:hearts::drool: but my fave will lose on day one and the rest of the week will suck (and she's prob gonna be schedule to play on my b-day and lose, oh what fun:D)

oh well, still gonna enjoy it either way :cool:

J. Corwin
07-12-2004, 09:13 PM
But I think Andy may even already have committed to San Jose next year :o

:D :angel:

J. Corwin
07-12-2004, 09:17 PM
really???? to where exactly are you moving in SoCal? and i only saw him once this year but im hoping next year i can go up to SanJose or to Scottsdale in addition to the Pacific Life Open. anybody know if either of those are good tournanments or not based on expereince?

Heya, I'm Jace. Like Deb said, I went to San Jose this past year. I can give you the directions if you need it.

It's a wonderfully run tournament and since it's indoors, it's play rain or shine. :) There's only one court, and that's the main/show court in the middle of the HP Pavillion stadium. There's a surprising amount of box seats available so if you can dish out the cash, it's worth it. :)

Fox Sports covers this tournament so you can see Leif Shiras and Barry McKay in person...and that's a plus if you're a fan of them lol.

I'll help ya out if you have any other Q's. Good luck in whatever tournies you choose to go to. :wavey:

andyroxmysox12191
07-12-2004, 09:48 PM
awwww nAldo :hug: we hope that wont happen :)
and i am HOPING, HOPING, HOPING, HOPING, HOPING, HOPING, HOPING, HOPING, HOPING, HOPING, HOPING to go to the us open this year with my brother. again that's HOPING! damn school...it just has to come in between me and tennis :( plus the tickets would be double since its the two of us :(
still hoping! *prays*

superpinkone37
07-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Heya, I'm Jace. Like Deb said, I went to San Jose this past year. I can give you the directions if you need it.

It's a wonderfully run tournament and since it's indoors, it's play rain or shine. :) There's only one court, and that's the main/show court in the middle of the HP Pavillion stadium. There's a surprising amount of box seats available so if you can dish out the cash, it's worth it. :)

Fox Sports covers this tournament so you can see Leif Shiras and Barry McKay in person...and that's a plus if you're a fan of them lol.

I'll help ya out if you have any other Q's. Good luck in whatever tournies you choose to go to. :wavey:

thanks!!! i'll probably have to choose between san jose and scottsdale so at least i know it wouldn't get rained out!!! btw do u know about how much the tickets run? i would like to get seats that are pretty close up. thanks for ur help

J. Corwin
07-12-2004, 11:49 PM
thanks!!! i'll probably have to choose between san jose and scottsdale so at least i know it wouldn't get rained out!!! btw do u know about how much the tickets run? i would like to get seats that are pretty close up. thanks for ur help

I think box seats are $100 each. :)

tangerine_dream
07-13-2004, 01:08 AM
I'm still debating whether to go to the US Open warm-up tournament on Long Island or just break the piggy bank and go to the US Open in Queens and pay off the credit card bill for the next three years.

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-13-2004, 01:17 AM
Where are you from? Arizona? I tried to go to Scottsdale this year, but I couldnt because I was broke. I think I will go next year though b/c I have a job now :). But my dad lives in Scottsdale/Phoenix, I love it there! That sounds like an AMAZING tournament!

I'm moving right in LA. Close to Hollywood, Beverly Hills, downtown, etc. YAY!

Actually I went to Scottsdale this past year. There was a lot of rain and they don't schedule the tourney at the best time of year for the good weather down there (late Feb/Early March is just a bit too early down there)... but it was a WONDERFULLY run tournament. the grounds are gorgeous, the stadium is nice and small and if you get tickets early enough you can get incredible seats for great prices. I wasn't further back than three or four rows and they really let the seats up close. The volunteers are sweethearts and parking is nice and easy (just costs $5 but a huge close lot). I'd strongly recommend it, just dress warmly if you're going at night because the night sessions were really cold.

our buddy Jace went to the SanJose final this past year, so he can help you with that one :)

Deboogle!.
07-13-2004, 01:31 AM
awwwwwww tangy :hug:

no Mrs. Guga, I'm not from there but we vacation there every spring for the last 10 years or so. we love it there! It was a REALLY nice tournament. SOOOOOOO Small.... even though it's the same size as Houston in terms of prize money and rankings points, it's a much "smaller" tourney in the way it feels. The stadium allows you to see the players from MUCH closer for MUCH less money and the practice courts are by and large much more open and accessible. If you can go, I definitely endorse it!

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-13-2004, 01:39 AM
LOL! Go to Long Island girl! They always have some nice players, atleast in my opinion! I think it's a swell tournament. Better than fucking Legg Mason. And I think the Slams are overrated--not as intimate... I'd rather just watch on TV. Smaller tourneys are better for stalking and getting noticed :devil:

I'm still debating whether to go to the US Open warm-up tournament on Long Island or just break the piggy bank and go to the US Open in Queens and pay off the credit card bill for the next three years.

star
07-13-2004, 01:44 AM
Deb, I checked the ticket prices at Scottsdale and for the entire series, the prices are comparable to the Houston tickets. That Houston ticket was $250 for the whole tournament, and it wasn't the cheapest ticket. At Scottsdale the cheapest event ticket I saw was $275.

I don't doubt that the whole scene in Scottsdale is a lot cozier. It sounds a lot like the WTA LaCosta tournament. The bad thing about that tournament is that you can't see the practice courts. The sides of the courts are covered.

Havok
07-13-2004, 01:50 AM
tangy just go to the big banana:p screw Long Island :yawn: prob sucky people are gonna be there.

Deboogle!.
07-13-2004, 02:00 AM
Deb, I checked the ticket prices at Scottsdale and for the entire series, the prices are comparable to the Houston tickets. That Houston ticket was $250 for the whole tournament, and it wasn't the cheapest ticket. At Scottsdale the cheapest event ticket I saw was $275.

I don't doubt that the whole scene in Scottsdale is a lot cozier. It sounds a lot like the WTA LaCosta tournament. The bad thing about that tournament is that you can't see the practice courts. The sides of the courts are covered.

But at Houston they don't even really let you buy seats in the first few rows... my seats in Scottsdale were 3rd row! the $200 seats at Houston are further away than any seats in the Scottsdale stadium :lol: We paid like $30 for 3rd row seats.... I don't think anything compares to that at Houston!

But anyway... they're both very nice tournaments and run very well. Houston has more of a "professional" feel to it and i'm sure that's because of Mack and what he's done with Westside. Scottsdale is on a resort and that's the feel it has. More casual, more relaxed, and there are pros and cons to that :) and mid-April is about the nicest time of year in Houston where late February is about the worst in Scottsdale... so that might be something to consider too :haha:

andyroxmysox12191
07-13-2004, 02:01 AM
go to the uso....lets see if we meet there :D (if i go lol)

superpinkone37
07-13-2004, 02:08 AM
The bad thing about that tournament is that you can't see the practice courts. The sides of the courts are covered.

are you talking about the WTA tournament or scottsdale, cuz the reason i would go to scottsdale is to check out the practice courts. i think u were talking about the womens one where u can see the practice courts (right???) but i just wanna make sure

Deboogle!.
07-13-2004, 02:11 AM
At Scottsdale you can see all the practice courts but one. There's one right next to the stadium where they cover the fences to make like walls.... guess who always practiced there?:)

superpinkone37
07-13-2004, 02:20 AM
oh i see, but maybe we'll get lucky this year. i hope, thanks for the tip thoguh

star
07-13-2004, 02:23 AM
But at Houston they don't even really let you buy seats in the first few rows... my seats in Scottsdale were 3rd row! the $200 seats at Houston are further away than any seats in the Scottsdale stadium :lol: We paid like $30 for 3rd row seats.... I don't think anything compares to that at Houston!

But anyway... they're both very nice tournaments and run very well. Houston has more of a "professional" feel to it and i'm sure that's because of Mack and what he's done with Westside. Scottsdale is on a resort and that's the feel it has. More casual, more relaxed, and there are pros and cons to that :) and mid-April is about the nicest time of year in Houston where late February is about the worst in Scottsdale... so that might be something to consider too :haha:

But you are comparing apples and oranges. You bought tickets during the week. They are always cheaper than the weekend tickets.

The seats you are talking about are $400 for the event.

Deboogle!.
07-13-2004, 02:31 AM
oh i see, but maybe we'll get lucky this year. i hope, thanks for the tip thoguh

I wouldn't be surprised if Andy doesn't go back to Scottdsale. I think it's good for him to play in terms of a little warmup for the outdoor IW and Miami tourneys but I don't know if he had a great experience there what with his tirade in his first match and the weather forcing him to play twice in one day and the weather being cold since he had all night matches :lol:

superpinkone37
07-13-2004, 04:26 AM
yeah, i was thinking about that too. and it probably wont be till the season starts again next year that he confirms whether or not he's gonna go. oh well

Deboogle!.
07-13-2004, 04:29 AM
I'm pretty sure I knew he was gonna be at Scottsdale sometime in late November/December sometime around there. I remember when I bought the tix b/c I did it over the phone from the airport in early Jan when I was on my way back to school lol.... so you should definitely know a few months in advance I'd think.

superpinkone37
07-13-2004, 05:08 AM
really?? i am so excited now!! i am really gonna look into going to scottsdale then, it sounds like it is gonna be a lot of fun. and the prices sound reasonable enough that i can also get good tickets for indian wells. i wish these tournaments were spread out more though because then i could save money up for each one, etc, but thats okay. thanks a lot for all your help and tips. now i just have to wait like six months but thats okay. thanks you rock :rocker2:

tangerine_dream
07-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Well, Andre Agassi usually does the Long Island tournament and this would be my best chance to see him up close and personal before he retires. :) The USO is too expensive and I'd probably see more of it anyways if I just watched it on TV. ;)

Still debating if I want to go to Charleston to watch the DC tie .....

Deboogle!.
07-13-2004, 03:08 PM
tangy, if you wanna see Andre, I'd go with Long Island. Just make sure he's playing :) Less crowds, less money, less far for you to travel... for the same Andre;)

Fumus
07-13-2004, 03:09 PM
The LI tourny isn't cheap either. I might see Andy at USO, when I go..

tangerine_dream
07-13-2004, 03:53 PM
Here's some news on the Cincy tournament:

Roddick-Federer, Agassi top storylines

By Neil Schmidt
Enquirer staff writer

MASON - The focus of the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters, which begins Aug.*2, could be on the growing rivalry between Roger Federer and Andy Roddick and the possibility of the world's top two players facing off here.

They represent the new regime that has supplanted the 1990s stars. Yet the sentimental story here could be a farewell to an aging great. Which begs the question: Will Andre Agassi play?

If he does, one won't know for certain until he takes the court here.

"We feel very confident about it," said Perry Rogers, Agassi's business manager. "He's a two-time winner there. He loves it there. Paul Flory puts on a great event .*.*. The plan is a full (summer) schedule, and it's on our schedule."

Monday was the announcement of the tourney's player commitments, and Agassi, 34, is on the list. All of the top 51 players from the rankings list six weeks prior to the tourney - just before Wimbledon - are automatically entered, and only injuries will keep them out.

That's where the concern comes in. Agassi withdrew from Wimbledon, citing a hip injury, and hasn't played since June 8. Last year, he made a surprise withdrawal two days before the Cincinnati event.

Agassi returns today in Los Angeles, opening as the top seed in the Mercedes Benz Cup against Alex Bogomolov Jr. A victory would be the 800th of his career, making him just the sixth man in the Open Era to reach that milestone.

Yet Agassi, who was ranked No.*1 as recently as last season, has been most mortal lately. He has lost his last four matches, his longest losing streak since 1997, and two of those defeats were to unknown qualifiers.

Agassi is now ranked No.*10 and apparently brittle. His statement last year when pulling out of the W & S field said, "At this stage of my career, I have to be selective about the weeks I can compete."

Yet he said at the time that he looked forward to returning in 2004.

That would be welcome news for fans and tourney officials. They got to bid goodbye last year to Michael Chang, but didn't get such a chance with Pete Sampras. An appearance by Agassi, quite possibly his last, would be well-received.

"For what he's done in the game and his popularity, it'd be great," tournament director Bruce Flory said. "In life, you never know when it's your chance to say goodbye."

Agassi is scheduled to play in Indianapolis and Toronto the next two weeks, then come here.

With a 25-10 record and two titles, Agassi leads active players among matches won and played in Cincinnati.

The tournament has awarded two of its four wild cards to Todd Martin and Jan-Michael Gambill. Martin, 34, is another American nearing retirement.

An example of the tourney's depth is that Wimbledon semifinalist Mario Ancic didn't qualify. He's now ranked 27th but wasn't high enough at the cutoff date. He'll be in the qualifier if he doesn't get a wild card. Other wild-card candidates include 2000 winner Thomas Enqvist, Tommy Haas, Greg Rusedski and Thomas Johansson.

Federer and defending champion Roddick have created a buzz the past year with their burgeoning rivalry. They'll likely be the top two seeds here.

Tennis in Mason
Men: Western & Southern Financial Group Masters, Aug.*2-8 (qualifier July 31-Aug.*1).

Women: W&SFG Women's Open, Aug. 16-22 (qualifier Aug. 14-15).

Seniors: W&SFG Senior Championship, July 30-31.

Where: Lindner Family Tennis Center in Mason.

Tickets/info: 513-651-0303 (www.cincytennis.com) .

Havok
07-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Well if Agassi is playing there, then go for it. But since when does Agassi play events the week before a slam? is long island right before the USO or am I getting things wrong?

Deboogle!.
07-13-2004, 04:24 PM
yea LI is right before the USO but I'm almost positive Andre's committed. Now that doesn't mean he won't pull out the week before the tourney but I'm pretty sure he committed to it.

star
07-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Well, Andre Agassi usually does the Long Island tournament and this would be my best chance to see him up close and personal before he retires. :) The USO is too expensive and I'd probably see more of it anyways if I just watched it on TV. ;)

Tangy, If I were you and lived in New York, I'd get grounds passes (very reasonable) for say. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday of the first week just to go hang out and see the scene and all the players etc. That would be fun and not expensive at all. There's so much TV can't show, and you just can't ever reproduce the scent of burned hamburger grease. :lol:

But, if you would really want to see Roger and Andy, it would get expensive.

OR, instead of going to Charleston for DC, you could go up to Toronto or over to Cincy. :)

Havok
07-13-2004, 05:21 PM
yeah, Canadian money is peanuts compared to the US dollar:p but the Canadian TMS is known for big time upsets early on and you're stuck with very odd winners :haha: you can come to montreal and enjoy the fabulous performance the WTA ladies will put on (:haha: its gonna be errors after errors, but oh well I'll still enjoy it :cool: )

Deboogle!.
07-13-2004, 05:28 PM
that's true, going to Toronto would be mega-cheap for us Yanks LOL!!!

star
07-13-2004, 05:32 PM
I don't think I can take a present day WTA tourney.

I went to La Costa in 1998, but it seems so much has changed since then. Pierce was in the final, I believe. But it was the first time I got to see Martina play in person. First time I saw Venus play (she withdrew after one match with a knee injury) and her little sis was there practising with her. Ai Sugiyama beat Steffi Graf and earned a place in my heart for ever for her great fight and terrific speed and just general darlingness. I found out that Stubbs and Raymond were real bitches on the court. Seles had a horrible match with Testud where every game went to several deuces. I thought I would die if I heard the word "deuce" again. And it was a night match to boot. I also found out why I would NEVER want to live in So. Cal. :)

And I got to go to the San Diego Wildlife Park. I liked that a lot a lot. :)

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-13-2004, 05:53 PM
These were the days! Mary! She and Pete are why I watch tennis! Martina dominating. Lindsay! Anna was still competing. I dont miss Steffi. I do kinda miss Monica--I never liked her too much, but I miss her. And Sandrine! LOL! Star, your memories!! Do you think WTA tournies aren't worth it anymore? I personally think I could never go to one, unless Kim was there, but even then, I have no desire to. I may sound like a lesbian at times, but I dont want to watch girls! Eeeeeew, lol, j/k -- well, I wouldnt pay money to go take pictures of girls, let's put it that way

I don't think I can take a present day WTA tourney.

I went to La Costa in 1998, but it seems so much has changed since then. Pierce was in the final, I believe. But it was the first time I got to see Martina play in person. First time I saw Venus play (she withdrew after one match with a knee injury) and her little sis was there practising with her. Ai Sugiyama beat Steffi Graf and earned a place in my heart for ever for her great fight and terrific speed and just general darlingness. I found out that Stubbs and Raymond were real bitches on the court. Seles had a horrible match with Testud where every game went to several deuces. I thought I would die if I heard the word "deuce" again. And it was a night match to boot. I also found out why I would NEVER want to live in So. Cal. :)

And I got to go to the San Diego Wildlife Park. I liked that a lot a lot. :)

J. Corwin
07-13-2004, 06:36 PM

Andre has said he doesn't plan on retiring after the USO this year. :) But then again, you never know what will happen I guess. :)

lfty
07-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Great thread, tons of useful info. I went to the USMCC this year and thought it was great. It was my first tournament so I didnít quite know what to expect (now I know--practices are just as cool as the matches (sometimes better!) and both film and digital cameras are a necessity) Next year Iíll def consider Scottsdale. :)

star
07-14-2004, 04:00 PM
These were the days! Mary! She and Pete are why I watch tennis! Martina dominating. Lindsay! Anna was still competing. I dont miss Steffi. I do kinda miss Monica--I never liked her too much, but I miss her. And Sandrine! LOL! Star, your memories!! Do you think WTA tournies aren't worth it anymore? I personally think I could never go to one, unless Kim was there, but even then, I have no desire to. I may sound like a lesbian at times, but I dont want to watch girls! Eeeeeew, lol, j/k -- well, I wouldnt pay money to go take pictures of girls, let's put it that way

I dunno. I can't think of a field that would attract me. At that time the WTA seemed so exciting with Martina and Anna and the Sisters beginning to make their presence known.

Now when I see the women's matches at IW I've usually seen a men's match right before or I see a men's match right afterward and the difference in the games is amazing. The men are so much more consistent. It's funny because there used to be more point construction with the women, but now the women just go for broke all the time. There are SO many unforced errors. To me, I don't enjoy seeing a match where it seems most points are decided on unforced errors.