Repeating At The IndianQUACKolis 153 for Title #15! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Repeating At The IndianQUACKolis 153 for Title #15!

Pages : [1] 2

Deboogle!.
07-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Help with a less-stupid thread name please :p:o

Andyway, I didn't start this for the heck of it, I actually have news;) Good news, even! the Indy radio station ESPN950 will be doing broadcasts of the night matches with Bud Collins!! You can listen online! YAY! www.espn950.com :yeah:

C'mon Andy..... you can beat every player in the field, defend your title and show them who's the master of the hardcourts!! :bounce:

Havok
07-12-2004, 03:38 PM
:drive:

tangerine_dream
07-12-2004, 03:39 PM
:drive:

Gotta love Naldo's contribution. :lol: ;) :hug:

star
07-12-2004, 07:35 PM
I was planning on IndiaDUCKolis Just to keep up our Duck theme. :)

Or IndiaQUACKoplis. :lol:

star
07-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Quacking at the 500. :)

star
07-12-2004, 07:41 PM
Here's a favorite Andy pic.

star
07-12-2004, 07:41 PM
Look how much thinner his face was just last year!

He's still got a ways to go on his weight.

J. Corwin
07-12-2004, 07:44 PM
C'mon Andy...win another Chiwawa. :banana:

Deboogle!.
07-12-2004, 07:55 PM
his face looks thinner maybe.... but I watched his USO SF last night and he had way more chubb in the tummy region last year than he did at Wimby this year... I love that pic though, even if I'm not an animal fan. The one of him kissing the doggie is cute too :lol:

thanks for the thread suggestions I will try to combine something ;)

Havok
07-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Look how much thinner his face was just last year!

He's still got a ways to go on his weight.
He looks like a boy there, now he's looking like a man. And besides he's hitting with more power now:p He can still get more fit though.

MissPovaFan
07-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Help with a less-stupid thread name please :p:o

Andyway, I didn't start this for the heck of it, I actually have news;) Good news, even! the Indy radio station ESPN950 will be doing broadcasts of the night matches with Bud Collins!! You can listen online! YAY! www.espn950.com :yeah:

C'mon Andy..... you can beat every player in the field, defend your title and show them who's the master of the hardcourts!! :bounce:

Great find thanx! Do you know what time the night matches are scheduled to start?

Deboogle!.
07-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Here's the article from the tourney site, Paul:

7:30pm is Central US Time I believe (that's 6 hours behind the UK)
--------
Noted tennis journalist Bud Collins to provide play-by-play

RCA Tennis Championships, july 12, 2004

The 2004 RCA Championships announced today that ESPN 950 will once again broadcast live radio play-by-play of evening singles matches held Monday – Friday (July 19-23) beginning at 7:30 p.m. This will be the second straight year the tournament is providing week-long play-by-play of the nightly matches. ESPN 950’s Greg Rakestraw will provide color commentary, while esteemed tennis commentator, writer and historian Bud Collins will be calling the matches.

“Bud Collins is the most visible and versatile U.S. tennis journalist,” said RCA Championships Tournament Director, Rob MacGill. “He is an accomplished writer, broadcaster, and editor, and he is by far the most recognizable name and face in the world for tennis journalism. We are pleased and honored that we will once again be able to provide to our tennis fans the opportunity to hear from him every night on the radio.”
Collins, who was born in 1929, did his first television commentary (covering the U.S. Doubles at Longwood Cricket Club) for Boston’s PBS outlet, WGBH in 1963. In 1968 he began a network television career working for CBS on the U.S. Open. He then signed with NBC in 1972. To this day, he is identified with NBC’s broadcast of Wimbledon and the French Open.

Joining Collins on the radio broadcast will be ESPN 950’s Greg Rakestraw. Greg is currently the host of the Sports Desk, which can be heard weekdays daily from 3-6 p.m. on ESPN 950 AM.

“We pride ourselves in local sports coverage, and that means all local sports. The RCA Championships is a great event, that has built a reputation as the top tournament of its kind both locally and internationally, and we are excited to be a part of it again,” said ESPN 950 Program Director Greg Rakestraw. ‘Since we also simulcast over the Internet, it was exciting to see people from as far away as Thailand tuned into last year’s broadcast. This year we have expanded our Internet listening ports, which will allow more people to tune in to hear the matches.”

The broadcast will also be available via the Internet by going to www.espn950.com. The live play-by-play can be heard nightly on ESPN 950 AM from 7:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m., with a live audience call-in after the match from Monday, July 19, through Friday, July 23.

MissPovaFan
07-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Thanx very much :) Looking at the schedule for today though it seems that at 7:30pm there is a special 'Gibson/Baldwin night at the net' - any ideas what that is? Im therefore assuming the first match will be 9:15pm between Hrbaty and Kiefer (Go Hrbaty!)? 9:15pm Los Angeles time?

Deboogle!.
07-12-2004, 08:59 PM
that's a different tournament... the one going on right now in LA is the Mercedes-Benz Cup... Andy's not playing there. This thread is for the RCA Champs...in Indianapolis next week :)

MissPovaFan
07-12-2004, 09:05 PM
that's a different tournament... the one going on right now in LA is the Mercedes-Benz Cup... Andy's not playing there. This thread is for the RCA Champs...in Indianapolis next week :)

LOL ooops! Permission for the earth to swallow me up right now? :confused: :banghead: :o :eek:

J. Corwin
07-12-2004, 09:08 PM
LOL it's ok. ;)

andyroxmysox12191
07-12-2004, 09:42 PM
hahahaha. love the title of the thread.
and it's ok paulh just like jace said ;) lol i thought justine was andy before on a website :eek: now THAT was stupid lmao

MissPovaFan
07-12-2004, 09:47 PM
lol i thought justine was andy before on a website :eek: now THAT was stupid lmao

hehehe I do feel better now ;) :p

andyroxmysox12191
07-12-2004, 10:00 PM
lmao. we were all looking at the scoreboard on this site for a tourney, which i forget right now, and i refreshed the page every five seconds cause it just wouldn't update. so everytime it brought up a new tennis player in this banner thingy or whatever and i took this one glance at it and i thought it was andy so i looked back and it was justine :retard:

Deboogle!.
07-12-2004, 11:03 PM
LOL Mani!! Was that Miami? I think the Nasduck site had that random player thing and I vaguely remember your faux pas ;) :kiss:

andyroxmysox12191
07-12-2004, 11:30 PM
i think it was nasduck actually :haha: that was so stupid of me :lol:

Fumus
07-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Go Andy at Indy, remember last years beat down final, between Andy and Pdorn? Why is it whenever a player starts too lose its fatigue. They are always like "could be fatigue..". Do they ever think it could be they are of there game, just maybe?!?! God!! That's all they said durning that final..

Deboogle!.
07-17-2004, 02:15 AM
draw here http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=650221

I'd say.... the draw could be a lot worse for Andy. He owns Robby and really on hardcourt should be able to beat PimPim or Hrbaty....or anyone else in his half really....

athena_wu
07-17-2004, 06:44 AM
Robby, is that difficult??
I think Andy's mustache now is a bit like Robby's and Hewitt's.
Oh, ESPN will broadcast. Listen, much more better.

Deboogle!.
07-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Robby?

2003 Memphis, Hard, Q
TN, U.S.A. Hard Q Roddick 6 4 6 4
2002 San Jose, Hard, R32
CA, U.S.A. Hard R32 Roddick 6 4 6 4
2000 Knoxville, CH, Hard, R32
Tennessee, USA Hard R32 Roddick 6 2 5 7 7 6

Plus he crushed him like 3 and 1 at the Kooyong exho in January and Robby was in great form then. Plus Andy doesn't lose to his fellow young Americans lol.

athena_wu
07-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks, bunk.
It seems that Andy have no real opponent in his group, right?

By the way, where is the match take place, in New York??

Deboogle!.
07-17-2004, 01:43 PM
my opinion is that if Andy doesn't make the finals or win this event, in the US on his fave surface when he should be totally fresh and excited and full of energy, then he's in trouble for the bigger tournies.

The tournament takes place in Indianapolis, Indiana :)

athena_wu
07-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Oh, In Indiana, I'm not very familiar with US's place.
Absolutely, this title is easier for him to defend compared to other three.
Andy's next 3 matches are so tough. Really worried about him.

tangerine_dream
07-17-2004, 02:25 PM
RCA Championships

• Where: Indianapolis Tennis Center
• When: Qualifying begins at 10 a.m. today; main draw sessions begin at 12:30 p.m. Monday
• Tickets: Available at (800) 622-LOVE, rcatennis.com, Indianapolis Tennis Center box office or through Ticketmaster (317) 239-5151
Top 16 seeds

All 16 seeds receive first-round byes
1. Andy Roddick; 2. Andre Agassi; 3. Sabastien Grosjean; 4. Paradorn Srichaphan; 5.Mardy Fish; 6. Dominik Hrbaty; 7. Sjeng Schalken; 8. Vincent Spadea. 9. Taylor Dent; 10. Ivan Ljubicic; 11. Joachim Johansson; 12. Nicolas Kiefer; 13. Max Mirnyi; 14. Xavier Malisse; 15. Robby Ginepri; 16. Robin Soderling.

First-round pairings
Qualifier vs. Jan Vacek; qualifier vs. Anthony Dupuis; Greg Rusedski vs. Thomas Johansson; Fabrice Santoro vs. Hyung-Taik Lee; Gilles Elseneer vs. qualifier; Jeff Morrison vs. Julien Benneteau; Rajeev Ram vs. Wesley Moodie; qualifier vs. Jan-Michael Gambill. Wayne Arthurs vs. Tommy Hass; Thomas Enqvist vs. Ivo Karlovic; Kenneth Carlsen vs. qualifier; Jeff Salzenstein vs. Thierry Ascione; Sargis Sargsian vs. Gregory Carraz; Nicolas Lapentti vs. Michael Llodra; Amer Delic vs. Karol Beck; qualifier vs. Yen-Hsun Lu.

Roddick No. 1, Agassi No. 2 in RCA draw
By Mark Ambrogi
mark.ambrogi@indystar.com
July 17, 2004
RCA Championships tournament director Rob MacGill had major concerns about several injuries prior to Friday night's draw for the tennis tournament.
None concerned him more than Andre Agassi's tender hip, which forced the 34-year-old to pull out of Wimbledon.

"That Agassi hip injury was our No. 1 concern coming into the draw because it really bothered him in the May and June period," MacGill said.

But Agassi's hip has held up fine playing in this week's Los Angeles tourney and he was made the No. 2 seed in the RCA draw. Defending champion Andy Roddick is the No. 1 seed for the Indianapolis Tennis Center event, which opens main draw action Monday.

"Andre is fit and ready to play," MacGill said. "He's playing well. We're delighted to have him back."

This is Agassi's first Indianapolis visit since 1998, when he was the runner-up. That was his best result in five appearances.

Agassi committed to the RCAs last summer, but his representatives missed last month's entry deadline date, so MacGill had to give Agassi a wild card.
MacGill's luck didn't hold up when it came to Gustavo Kuerten's hip. The 2000 RCA champion was one of five players to withdraw because of injuries on Friday.

Another withdrawal was Mario Ancic, who injured his shoulder in his Wimbledon semifinal loss to Roddick. Also pulling out were Todd Martin (knee), James Blake (arm and tonsillitis) and Arnaud Clement (shoulder).
"Blake was the biggest surprise because we thought he was better," MacGill said.

The withdrawals allowed room for 2002 RCA champion Greg Rusedski and former world No. 2-ranked Tommy Haas to enter without wild cards.
The other three wild cards were awarded to 2002 Australian Open champion Thomas Johansson and former University of Illinois teammates Amer Delic and Rajeev Ram.

The 6-4 Ram, a Carmel High School graduate, played one season at Illinois before turning pro last fall. He won his first ATP Tour match as a wild card at last year's RCA tourney.

"More than anything, the wild card gives me a couple more days to really prepare well," Ram said. "It's a venue that I feel comfortable in, obviously, practicing here all the time. It's a good opportunity as always."

Ram, who qualified for the main draw at Newport, R.I., earlier this month, opens against hard-serving South African Wesley Moodie.

This will be Roddick's first action since losing to Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final earlier this month.

Roddick said he usually doesn't feel any differently as defending champion.
"I don't think one year has relevance to another as far as confidence goes," Roddick said during a conference call last month. "It kind of just depends on how you're playing at the moment.

"But last year was my first time there and I really enjoyed playing there. It's a good way to start off the summer season."

The top 16 players earn first-round byes. Sebastien Grosjean, another Wimbledon semifinalist, is seeded third and Paradorn Srichaphan is the No. 4 seed.

Qualifying begins today at 10 a.m. Top U.S. teen-agers Brendan Evans and Alex Kuznetsov received qualifying wild cards.

-----------------

I don't see anybody on the list who could pose a problem for Andy. Mirnyi, maybe. But Ljubicic dares to show his face in the US again, eh? :devil: I hope Andy rips him another a-hole and then I hope crybaby Ivan:baby: goes and whines to the press about bad boy Andy again. "I can beat Andy anywhere except in the US! Waaa." :lol:

And poor James. Tonsilitis now? Poor kid. :hug:

athena_wu
07-17-2004, 03:13 PM
I hope crybaby Ivan:baby: goes and whines to the press about bad boy Andy again. "I can beat Andy anywhere except in the US! Waaa." :lol:

Cry Baby VS Bad Boy!! So cute! :eek:
and tangerine, your avatar :rolleyes: :eek: My god!!

lfty
07-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Poor Blake. :awww: He’s been through a lot this year.

Any news on Andy’s hip injury? Is it safe to assume the WTT withdraw was just precautionary?

Deboogle!.
07-17-2004, 11:19 PM
hopefully :unsure:

J. Corwin
07-18-2004, 01:30 AM
One player that MIGHT give him a lil trouble is Haas, if they meet. Andy really should exact revenge and win for once.

Deboogle!.
07-18-2004, 01:35 AM
If Andy makes the final, he should be rolling and in a groove whereas by that point Haas will be tired playing two straight weeks and he doesn't get a bye so that'd be his 6th match at Indy and his 11th match (not incl. doubles!) in 2 weeks. Sorry.... I can't see Haas making the final but if so... Andy should really not have that much of a problem with him.

J. Corwin
07-18-2004, 01:39 AM
lol no need to be sorry. ;)

I actually rather Andy play Tommy. :)

J. Corwin
07-18-2004, 01:39 AM
lol no need to be sorry. ;)

I actually rather Andy play Tommy. :) Tommy wanted to know how Andy plays on other surfaces now, anyway. ;)

Deboogle!.
07-18-2004, 01:41 AM
LOL I wasn't apologizing ;):p just a figment of speech lol :p

Andyway, I agree, I think Andy would be up to the task ;) Plus, no one beats Andy 5 times in a row!!!! :nerner:

god I'll never forget the look on Andy's face on the big screen in Houston when tommy looked over and said something about how it'd be different on hardcourts. Andy reverted to 12 year old and got this really kid-like look on his face and just nodded ferociously LMAO!

andyroxmysox12191
07-18-2004, 03:09 AM
god I'll never forget the look on Andy's face on the big screen in Houston when tommy looked over and said something about how it'd be different on hardcourts. Andy reverted to 12 year old and got this really kid-like look on his face and just nodded ferociously LMAO!

:rolls: how come i never saw this (that is if it was on tv lol)

Deboogle!.
07-18-2004, 03:42 AM
I was there :D (:kiss: :smooch: :hug: for Christina:))

Havok
07-18-2004, 04:15 AM
Haas shouldn't be a real problem on the hardcourt. If Andy doesn't win this title, then :retard:

Deboogle!.
07-18-2004, 04:31 AM
especially now that Andre is out :o:rolleyes:

the article on the RCA site says, as we expected, Andy's first match will be Wed. at 7:30 (Central time)

athena_wu
07-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Andy VS Tommy, I really look forward.

What?? Andre is out, oh, no. His match becomes less and less.

But, for Andy, it seems that no real opponents for him. Should be easier for defending the title.

tangerine_dream
07-18-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm dying for Andy and Tommy to match up on hardcourt soon! :banana: I'm sure it'll happen this summer because Tommy's been playing very well in LA for the Mercedes-Benz Cup. Is anybody going to be around this afternoon when the finals are broadcast? I want Tommy to win. It would be awesome for him to win a second title this year, after having just come back from a long absence. :)

But, Andy needs to beat Tommy this summer. Just this one time. ;)

snaillyyy
07-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Definitely going to be watching the match today :dance: !! Can't miss it, gotta see Tommy win this one!!!!

Deboogle!.
07-18-2004, 04:52 PM
I'll be watching if my parents will let me :rolleyes: we'll have to get on MSN and chat during it :)

tangerine_dream
07-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Roddick needs company from U.S. peers
Fish, Dent and Ginepri part of group trying to break through and contend on ATP Tour.

By Mark Ambrogi
July 18, 2004

http://www.indystar.com/images/pics2/image-163383-1850.jpg
American Andy Roddick says, "It's a definite necessity for American players to be playing well to promote interest." -- Mike Hewitt

During periods when men's tennis has reached its popularity peak in the United States, it has been spurred by rivalries between Americans.

John McEnroe-Jimmy Connors and Andre Agassi-Pete Sampras were the most prominent ones in the past 25 years. Agassi and Sampras also were challenged by Jim Courier and Michael Chang.

Andy Roddick, 21, is waiting for his rival or rivals to arrive.

Heading into this week's RCA Championships at the Indianapolis Tennis Center, defending tournament champion Roddick is ranked No. 2 on the ATP Tour.

Agassi, 34, who withdrew from the RCAs on Saturday, is rated No. 10.
The next-highest ranked U.S. player is Mardy Fish, who is No. 18. Other top young Americans are Taylor Dent (28), Robby Ginepri (36) and James Blake (44). Ginepri is 21 years old, Fish 22, Dent 23 and Blake 24.

Fish, Dent and Ginepri will join Roddick in the RCA tournament, which begins main draw play Monday. Blake withdrew Friday because of an arm injury.
"No one has really seized the moment to be No. 2 to Andy or to become his biggest competitor," NBC tennis play-by-play announcer Ted Robinson said.
Robinson said Roddick's peers have had moments when they seemed poised to take that next step.

"No one has been able to sustain that," Robinson said. "That's why we all have to appreciate Andy right now because here's a kid who is 21 and has not only skyrocketed but has stayed there.

"It would be great for the game in America if we would have one of these (other) young guys emerge."

Roddick said he understands the need for U.S. stars with so many other sporting options in America.

"It's a definite necessity for American players to be playing well to promote interest," Roddick said in a conference call last month.

Yet Roddick, who finished 2003 ranked No. 1, said he doesn't feel any additional pressure being the United States' best hope for Grand Slam titles.
"I don't really look at my tennis in those terms," he said. "I just kind of go about and do my business. I don't really let those thoughts creep into my head too much."

Roddick said Fish has begun to progress.

"I think he's been stepping up his game, playing well," he said.

Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe said Fish is talented.

"The question to me is again, is how badly does he want it," Patrick McEnroe told reporters in a Davis Cup media conference last month. "When I say that, it's how badly does he want to get to the next level. I think he's a top 10 potential player by the end of the year, but to get from No. 18 to No. 10 is a tough stretch."

McEnroe added it will take a strong drive by Fish to earn the wins needed to make that climb.

McEnroe said Ginepri's strengths are his fitness and quickness.

"He can get a little negative, a little down on himself, which can hurt him, but when he's playing well, when he's competing well, he's tough to beat," McEnroe said.

Blake has been slowed since suffering a neck injury in May. He returned in Newport, R.I., earlier this month and suffered the arm injury.

Eliot Teltscher, United States Tennis Association's director of tennis operations for the USA High Performance Program, said the group behind Roddick gives the United States a good core of players.

"I think their play has leveled off a little bit recently," Teltscher said. "They need to make the next step to doing well in the Grand Slams."

Teltscher said Fish and Dent might need more time.

"Fish and Dent are serve-and-volleyers, so they often don't develop to their full potential until they're around 24 years old," he said.

Perhaps a Roddick rival will develop from the 20-and-under set.

Teltscher said there are several promising young U.S. players, including 14-year-old Donald Young, who won two rounds of qualifying at Los Angeles last weekend. Young was offered an RCA qualifying wild card, but he decided to take the week off.

Other top young Americans, Teltscher said, include Rajeev Ram, Brendan Evans, Alex Kuznetsov and Brian Baker.

Ram, a Carmel High School graduate, received an RCA main draw wild card, while Evans and Kuznetsov earned qualifying wild cards. Kuznetsov, who reached the Junior French Open singles and doubles finals, was born in the Ukraine but lives in Richboro, Pa.

-------------

OK, does anyone else get kinda irked when someone says that a match is determined by "who wanted it more"? Well, PMac's comment about Mardy's success being dependent on "how badly he wants it" is the same type of dismissive comment, I think. As star had said before, there is such a thing as wanting something too much---to the point where you actually sabotage yourself. Not many athletes are blessed enough to be built of the same mental metal as Andy is. And Andy's upbringing was different from Mardy's (I also believe that the fact that Andy is the youngest of three boys has a lot to do with his hyper-competitive nature, too). Mardy clearly has the talent to win big matches; and I have no doubt that he does "want it badly." But mentally, Mardy is not in the same league as Andy: he chokes; he gets nervous; he debates himself on the court. Learning to get over these humps has nothing to do with ambition. It will depend on what he's more afraid of: winning or losing. IMO.

star
07-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Plus, Mardy has the reputation of not working hard off the court.

Being in tip top physical condition gives a player confidence too. I think Mardy may get tired toward the end of the match giving him the appearance of not "wanting it."

I think that was one of the reasons Andy was able to defeat Mardy last year in Cincy. Mardy just got very tired at the end of the match. It appeared at the end that Andy "wanted it" more than did Mardy. But part of wanting it more is doing the hard, disciplined work off the court.

Anyway ....... speaking of upbringings......... Mardy's parents are the ones who hired fans at the USO. I Think that's pretty odd.

Deboogle!.
07-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Apparently lately, Mardy is doing a lot more work lately. His legs looked a lot bigger than they did when I saw him in Houston and that's a good sign but he can't even play two tournaments in a row before having a sore shoulder. And he's looking really soft in the middle, I noticed that during the match the other day too.

Mardy's problem is also that he has no Plan B at all, whereas Andy has worked so hard to find ways to win matches when his serve lets him down. Mardy hasn't. If Mardy serves well, he plays well, and it's really cut and dried at this point. But to be fair to Mardy, I don't think he even really started playing tennis 100% seriously until sometime in his teens, he was originally going to be a golfer. So in the development scale, Mardy's behind those guys who have been playing and being coached almost their whole lives!

tangerine_dream
07-19-2004, 12:31 AM
If Andy makes the final, he should be rolling and in a groove whereas by that point Haas will be tired playing two straight weeks and he doesn't get a bye so that'd be his 6th match at Indy and his 11th match (not incl. doubles!) in 2 weeks. Sorry.... I can't see Haas making the final but if so... Andy should really not have that much of a problem with him.

Watching the Mercedes-Benz Cup final today and I couldn't help but notice that Tommy had a lot of Roddickian moments on the court today (that running forehand passing shot? :eek: ). This is his second ATP title of the year and he's looking happy, healthy and confident. Even though Andy is the hardcourt king of North America, I'm expecting Tommy to give him a run for his money this summer. Hehe. Goody for us. :devil: :banana:

Deboogle!.
07-19-2004, 01:10 AM
Oh Tommy can give him a run for his money, for sure. My point was that, for them to meet, Tommy will have had to win now 10 matches in two weeks (plus the doubles he played)... their final would be his 11th in like 13 days, and a couple of them were pretty long tough ones. Obviously anything is possible, I just don't see Tommy making it to the final LOL. Andre aside, Indy is a much stronger field than LA.

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-19-2004, 01:28 AM
I hope Tommy and Andy meet. Pfft. 2001 was long ass time ago. Bring it Haas!

Deboogle!.
07-19-2004, 01:43 AM
well they played just about 2 months ago. but it was clay and Andy played a TERRIBLE match...

Here's the preview from the Indy site:
--------------

PREVIEW -- 18 Jul 04

Author: Bill Scott

INDIANAPOLIS -- Andre Agassi erred on the side of
caution as he pulled out as second seed two days before the start of
the RCA Championships.

But the perhaps not-so-unexpected exit by the eight-time Grand Slam-winning American Idol could help a bit in clearing the way for top-seeded defending champion Andy Roddick to bolt together his own game at the Indianapolis Tennis Center.

Roddick has tasted more of the high-profile Hollywood life since being hammered out in the Wimbledon final two weeks ago by the racket magic of world No. 1 Roger Federer.

With the Swiss maestro resting this week before starting his North American hardcourt campaign, the coming days on the cement in sports-mad Indy could give No. 2 Roddick a valuable leg up as he strives to scatch the runaway star of the current game.

Roddick, meanwhile, has soothed his psyche after his four-set grasscourt defeat by following on from his Saturday Night Live hosting stint last November, presenting the ESPN award in Los Angeles for Best Record Breaking Performance.

The reigning U.S. Open winner also lifted an honor of his own, beating out Federer, Juan Carlos Ferrero and Agassi in the running for Best Male Tennis Player of the Year as voted by fans.

Rabid jock Roddick was in heaven among his peers from many other American sports. "It was a great room to be in with all the other athletes. Those are guys who I love to watch compete, so to actually hang out with them was really cool."

But while Agassi may be one threat out of the way as Roddick works to defend the first of three titles he won last summer during a buildup to what proved to be his first Grand Slam trophy, there are plenty of threats to the 21-year-old Texas-based player's superiority at the Indianapolis Tennis Center.

Stalking Roddick during the second week of the U.S. Open series points race to New York - the Open starts Aug. 30 - are third seed Sebastien Grosjean, a Wimbledon semifinalist for the past two years, fourth-seeded 2003 Indy finalist Paradorn Srichaphan and the rest of the U.S. Athens Olympic team.

Among Roddick's Games colleagues - and rivals: Fifth seed Mardy Fish, Vince Spadea, the No. 8, and ninth seed Taylor Dent.

Both finalists from this weekend's tournament in Los Angeles are in the field, with Nicolas Kiefer starting the first round with a bye and Tommy Haas facing Australian Wayne Arthurs to start.

Another treat for fans: American Jeff Morrison, who lost to Kiefer in the LA semis, a performance which assured the No. 107 of a place in the field for the Open.

J. Corwin
07-19-2004, 08:42 AM
Ya never know...Haas can get on a roll too. Like Andy, he can get into a groove and start playing better after having won more and more matches. All the more better of a showdown for us fans. :cool:

Deboogle!.
07-19-2004, 01:30 PM
perhaps:p

Brad's updated again... sounds like they're ready to go.

----

7.18.2004 - bradgilberttennis.com

The grass court season was a long and successful grind and Andy gave it everything he had in the final. After Wimbledon he needed a break so he took 13 days off. I took the family to Lake Tahoe, we stayed in a little cottage on the lake, waterskiing and kicking it.

After a nice break Andy spent 3 days at my place working out with the Golden State Warriors strength and conditioning specialist Mark Grabow off-court, and on-court hitting with Wayne Ferreira.

Andy took a few days before Indy to go down to LA for the ESPY awards show. That was a good time for him, but now it's back to business. We're here in Indy looking to start it all over again, as the next month is going to be action packed.

Fumus
07-19-2004, 02:25 PM
"Among Roddick's Games colleagues - and rivals: Fifth seed Mardy Fish, Vince Spadea, the No. 8, and ninth seed Taylor Dent."

And Robby Ginepri!! jeeesh!

Fumus
07-19-2004, 02:33 PM
btw, I saw Jeff Morrison on TTC and rocks! He really is a blast to watch. Morrison is alot of fun and his on-court antics, talents, and composure will make you smile. Durning one point in his semi-final match with Keifer, Jeff Morrison dumped an easy backhand into the net. Jeff then turned around with a big smile on his face "god!" he said, "Lemme try that one again!", much to the enjoyment of the crowd. One point later he served and hit the same winning backhand only this time it was good."Thanks god!" he said as he looked up into night sky and smiled, the crowd erupted in laughter as did the often stone face Keifer. You could tell, that Morrison was happy to be there, his play and his ability show much promise for the future.

lfty
07-19-2004, 04:04 PM
I’d love to see an Andy/Tommy match-up on hardcourt. And don’t get me wrong, Andy is my #1 fave but I can’t wait for Mardy to even the score.

Fumus
07-19-2004, 04:52 PM
I hate Tommy...lol

MaitaBaby
07-19-2004, 06:09 PM
I wish to see Andy and Tommy in the finals! That'll surely be an exciting game. :)

superpinkone37
07-19-2004, 08:01 PM
ehhh i dont really like tommy

Deboogle!.
07-19-2004, 10:56 PM
Well Tommy has pulled out (no surprise really)

so has Lapentti

if Andy does not win this title, then :help: :help: :help:

zoltan83
07-19-2004, 11:13 PM
Wanna to see a semi-final Andy-Xavier

Deboogle!.
07-19-2004, 11:51 PM
awww Nicolas, you do know Andy's record against Xavier, don't you? LOL

tangerine_dream
07-20-2004, 01:04 AM
Aww, no Tommy? :ras: So now there's only Dent and Fish left who can actually give Andy a game, yes? Anyone else? :zzz:

Deboogle!.
07-20-2004, 01:08 AM
actually I think Andy's QF could be the hardest... PimPim/Rudeski/ToJo

Dent can't give him a match and if Mardy looks as lost as he did against Saulnier last week there's no way he could give Andy a good match.

tangerine_dream
07-20-2004, 01:35 AM
Hmm....PimPim. He's one of those dangerous floaters, isn't he? And Greg, he's just a floater..... ;)

It's Roddick Time! **cue MC Hammer music**

Roddick hopes to repeat success

By Malivai Washington
ESPN.com
The U.S. hard courts season is a perfect time for Americans like Mardy Fish, Taylor Dent, Robby Ginepri and Vince Spadea to make their move upwards in the rankings. It's also a great time for Andy Roddick to reduce the huge lead that current No. 1 Roger Federer has on him.

Andy Roddick is looking to repeat last year's hard court success.Roddick makes his first appearance in the hard court season with a return to the Indianapolis tournament that he won last year. It was at this point last summer that Roddick got on a roll that included wins in Indy, Montreal, Cincinnati and ultimately his first and only Grand Slam title at the U.S.Open. That was the streak that allowed him to finish 2003 ranked No. 1 in the world. Though such an end result is improbable this season, because of Federer's huge points lead over Roddick, the American hopeful can still move up to No. 2, where the Argentine Guillermo Coria currently sits.

This is Roddick's favorite time of year. The summer hard court season is where he feels he can play his power game, and his mobility or speed won't work against him. On clay his movement is a liability, and on grass his power helps cover up the fact that he's not as sure-footed on the stuff. But when he gets to the hard courts he feels like he owns the court and he usually does.

After losing in the opening round in Los Angeles, Spadea (retired during match), Dent, and Ginepri will look to get moving. They'll be highly motivated because this is their time of year. As with most Americans, they thrive on U.S. hard courts. Players don't want to lose consecutive matches in the opening round on their favorite surface because of the harm it does to their confidence. Of the three players, Spadea likely will have the toughest match, as he'll await the winner of two good players in Wayne Arthurs and Tommy Haas. Arthur is a big serving lefty who could give Spadea trouble, while Haas is coming off a great win in the Los Angeles final.

Jeff Morrison, one of the few players on tour with a college degree, will get into the draw on a special exemption. Because he reached the semifinals in L.A., he wouldn't have been able to get to Indy in enough time to play in the qualifying rounds, so he is going directly into the main draw. Playing Julien Benneteau also isn't a bad draw for Morrison.

Fish, too, hopes to build on the momentum he gained in Los Angeles. He lost in two tiebreak sets to Cyril Saulnier in the quarterfinals. I suspect the seedings will hold true in this tournament and Fish should meet Taylor Dent in the round of 16.

Meanwhile, having to pull out of Indy doesn't bode well for Andre Agassi's summer schedule. Including Wimbledon, this is his second withdrawal in three tournaments. I think his age, 34, is starting to catch up with him. Over his career he's been one of the most resilient players on tour, evidenced by the fact that he's still out playing long after former peers like Pete Sampras, Jim Courier, and Michael Chang have retired. But the writing is on the wall. He may be getting to the point where he physically can't hold up week after week like some of his current peers who are 10 years his junior.

When a player's body starts to struggle it does a job on him mentally as well, as he starts to wonder if he can compete for titles anymore. Once doubts start to creep into a player's head, that's when his confidence starts to suffer.

Agassi has always said he'll play as long as he feels he can still win titles, especially the majors. He has to start performing during the summer swing if he wants to win the U.S. Open or make the Masters Cup in Houston this season. There were times in his career when Agassi owned the summer hard courts season. Now is the time for him to reclaim some of that past glory.

Havok
07-20-2004, 01:43 AM
If these fucking reporters keep going by the race positions one more time :timebomb: Andy's freakin #2 not Coria, why do these fucktards keep on paying close attention to the race and not the entry rank when its ATP , but articles for the WTA they always talk about the entry rank and dont give a flying fuck about the race for them?:scratch:

J. Corwin
07-20-2004, 01:55 AM
I'd expect Mal to know better too...or maybe he's too brainwashed...

Deboogle!.
07-20-2004, 01:58 AM
Here's a better one, tonight on the online radio, BUD COLLINS Said that SPADEA is the #2 American behind Andy!!!!!!!!! :sobbing:

RoddickBabe10
07-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Do ESPN/ESPN2 televise Indy?

I really hate Tommy Haas, but I would've love for Andy to kick his ass, if they would've played in the final. LOL

zoltan83
07-20-2004, 12:06 PM
awww Nicolas, you do know Andy's record against Xavier, don't you? LOL

yes... something like 8-0 for Andy in head-to-head :rolleyes:

But time is coming for changing that lol

heya
07-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Andy can't stop choking either. Xavier shouldn't feel bad.

Deboogle!.
07-20-2004, 01:21 PM
RoddickBabe, the Semifinal and Final of Indy will be aired tape-delay (:rolleyes: ) on NBC, 2:30-4:30pm both Saturday and Sunday

Fumus
07-20-2004, 05:21 PM
well atleast someone is showing it...lol

Fumus
07-20-2004, 05:24 PM
I don't know, I don't think RCA means too much, if Andy wins, I think he become number 2 indesit point race but, that's all. I want to see Toronto that will be telling if Andy stands a chance against Rogi on HC even though it doesn't really matter now, Andy can't be number 1, and thus, all is sad.

Deboogle!.
07-20-2004, 07:41 PM
So Andy will play Kratochvil tomorrow night. Andy's 2-0 against him, 2001 Nottingham 64 64 and 2002 Toronto 63 63 :)

Fumus
07-20-2004, 07:55 PM
lol omg bunk that sig rules...holy crap

Fumus
07-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Go Andy! Woo!

Deboogle!.
07-20-2004, 07:56 PM
:confused:

Fumus
07-20-2004, 07:57 PM
lol your quotes..they are funny..ummm

andyroxmysox12191
07-20-2004, 08:13 PM
lol fumus...we've had them for about a week now ;) :hug:

Deboogle!.
07-21-2004, 12:11 AM
July 21, 2004
No. 1 Andy Roddick (USA) vs. Michel Kratochvil (Switzerland)

Here’s the good news for tennis fans in Indianapolis – Roddick is an even better player than he was last year when he won this title in his first visit to Hoosierville. The victory here started Roddick on his way through a very magical 2003 summer – he went on to win at Montreal, Cincinnati and then captured his first Grand Slam trophy at the US Open. In all, he won six titles last year and is looking good to equal – or surpass – that number of trophies in 2004.

Thus far this year, “Randy Andy” has won titles at Miami, Queen’s Club and San Jose. And he improved upon his 2003 semifinal luck at Wimbledon by reaching the final, where he lost a hard fought four-set encounter with world No. 1 Roger Federer.

The 21-year-old Roddick starts his campaign to defend his RCA title against Michel Kratochvil of Switzerland. The No. 173 ranked Kratochvil certainly has his work cut out for him if he plans on upstaging Roddick – they’ve played twice in the past and Andy’s won all four sets.

Even if we look at these guys in terms of finances, Roddick’s got the goods. While Kratochvil has brought in $44,621 this season, reaching four satellite event quarterfinals, Roddick increased his career earnings to over $6-million by already racking in $1,539,490 this year.

So, if you have a Swiss bank account in the land of Kratochvil, make sure to bet it on the guy waving the red, white & blue.

========

Piccy of Andy practicing today :cool:

http://rcatennis.com/071904Photos.section/pages/images/photoJuly19PhotosBCC1AA6C11.jpg

Nishy
07-21-2004, 02:06 AM

http://rcatennis.com/071904Photos.section/pages/images/photoJuly19PhotosBCC1AA6C11.jpg

Andy looks little thin in this picture.

superpinkone37
07-21-2004, 02:32 AM
Andy looks little thin in this picture.

well that means that those few days at brad's did him well i guess. i wanna see his face to see what new thing he probably has growing on his face...lol

lfty
07-21-2004, 03:51 AM
Mardy...Andre...Andy...now Tommy? Are hip injuries the new fad? :rolleyes: And yikes, I didn’t realize Tommy had so many haters. :unsure:

RoddickBabe10
07-21-2004, 05:01 AM
i wanna see his face to see what new thing he probably has growing on his face...lol

Oh Gosh, I hope he shaved that GOATee! It really grosses me out and he just looks better with shaved face, don't ya think?

Anyway, GO ANDY and defend your title! woot*woot! lol

superpinkone37
07-21-2004, 05:50 AM
And yikes, I didn’t realize Tommy had so many haters. :unsure:

y'know i say i dont like tommy but its probably just because he beats andy this year when he had been doing so well. i know that is a stupid reason, but thats pretty much it, and i think the reason many people dislike players: because they beat their favorites. anyways i really dont have any place to judge tommy, i guess i just dont want another threat for andy, though if he could have put up a good match i would have enjoyed it as long as andy had won lol. anyways, this is kinda similar to another thing and once i start i story i gotta finish sooo.... i never really liked dent mostly cuz he scared me (come on look at some of those pictures! he looks so scary sometimes when he serves and runs up or whatever) but then i met him at IW this year and it was cool to see him practicing and hanging out and now he is not my player but i like to see him win, at least till he must play andy. so i guess most of us shouldnt really dislike a player unless we have actually experienced something negative about them but i do it all the time to most player who beat andy so really i dont care about all the hating and what not. dang this is long...i must go to bed soon zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Deboogle!.
07-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Well I like Tommy despite the fact that I was at that match and obviously wanted Andy to win :p but I think everyone in the stadium who'd seen him play all week knew how tired he was and that he didn't really have a chance against Tommy. But anyway, the only thing I don't like about Tommy is that any time a match is close, he freaks out. He switches between English and German and swears about everything, at himself and at his coach. While it provided quite a bit of amusement to those of us within earshot, it's kinda distasteful :o

Anyway, here's an article. Poor Kratochvil doesnt even remember one of the times they played...

=======

Roddick rockets into his debut
Kratochvil says he must keep the ball in play to have a chance against No. 1 seed.

By Andrea Cohen
andrea.cohen@indystar.com
July 21, 2004

Michel Kratochvil says one of his best shots is his return of serve.

"Thank God for that," the 25-year-old Swiss tennis player said after winning his match Tuesday.

"But I don't know. It's pretty tough to catch that."

That is Andy Roddick's blistering first serve, which has been clocked at 153 mph. Kratochvil will face Roddick at 7:30 tonight in the second round of the RCA Championships.

Roddick has made a nice living off his first serve. Going into the Wimbledon final against Roger Federer, he told reporters, "The one advantage I have over him is just hitting the crap out of the ball."

But as Roddick discovered in that final, good returning occasionally beats good serving.

"A lot of guys are able to create with the serve and bring it back," said Rik De Voest, who beat smashing server Wayne Arthurs in a first-round match Tuesday.

De Voest, Kratochvil and other players noted that the key to returning a big serve is anticipating location and using the pace to get the ball back.

How they return it varies. Some prefer to shorten their stroke and block the ball, while top returners are able to take normal, aggressive swings.

"After 125 (mph), it's all hard and fast," Vince Spadea said. "But it's hittable to me."

While Roddick hits his first serve harder than anyone on tour, what makes him especially formidable is his finely tuned second serve.

He does more than just get the ball in play. It has more movement than others on the tour, players say. Some even say Roddick's off-speed serve can be more intimidating than his full-throttle first attempt. The numbers support that sentiment: Roddick has won 56 percent of second-serve points, the third-best percentage on tour.

"His second serve for me is harder to return than his first serve because it has so much action on it," said Alex Bogomolov Jr., who lost to Roddick in March.

Kratochvil, who hasn't won a set against Roddick in two matches, said his focus tonight will be on keeping the ball in play. Even that could pose a challenge. Roddick leads the tour with 601 aces and has won 90 percent of his service games this year.

"I've played him once, so I have my game plan," Kratochvil said. "There's not much I can change. It's not going to be easy."

MaitaBaby
07-21-2004, 02:26 PM
What time does the match start?
Anyone know where we can get live scores?

Deboogle!.
07-21-2004, 02:29 PM
the match starts at 7:30pm local time (Central US Time). live scores at www.rcatennis.com, live radio at www.espn950.com

MaitaBaby
07-21-2004, 02:34 PM
oh, ok. thanks!

athena_wu
07-21-2004, 02:44 PM

Oh, cool!
I wonder whether he has waved his mustache??? :confused: I wanna to see his face! :o :cool:

MaitaBaby
07-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Yeah, me too! I hated that mustache!

tangerine_dream
07-21-2004, 03:03 PM
Ifty, I like Tommy, too! Great player, great looks and personality, great comeback story....I don't sweat the fact that Tommy beats Andy practically all the time (same with Federer). Contrary to what some may think *cough*Dirk/Fedex*gag*, I can appreciate and even be a fan of other players who beat my favorites. Andy will eventually solve the Tommy riddle. :dance:

Nishy, yes, Andy does look kinda thin in that picture :eek: No more cute doughboy to make fun of :sobbing: Well, star should be happy about Andy's weight. :)

"His second serve for me is harder to return than his first serve because it has so much action on it," said Alex Bogomolov Jr., who lost to Roddick in March.

Andy's first serve is pretty much flat, isn't it? Why doesn't he put a spin on it like he does the second serve? Doing so will make his first serves even more unreturnable. :confused:

Deboogle!.
07-21-2004, 03:08 PM
tangy, Andy does a whole lot of different first serves :) Sometimes flat and hard, sometimes he adds spin and slice and all that stuff :) That's why his serve is so good!!!

Havok
07-21-2004, 03:53 PM
If you add more spin, it takes away from his speed. And besides his 2nd serve is better than a lot of people's 1st serves, and he rarely doublefaults so he can count on it time and time again. He's able to gamble more with the 1st serve, but he does hit quite a few kick serves and slicers, off speeders as 1st deliveries anyways.:p

superpinkone37
07-21-2004, 04:12 PM
Well I like Tommy despite the fact that I was at that match and obviously wanted Andy to win :p but I think everyone in the stadium who'd seen him play all week knew how tired he was and that he didn't really have a chance against Tommy. ."

i get exactly what u mean. think when u see someone play in real life then just being there makes u feel more involved or sometrhing and that first hand experience can make u appreciate a player much more. but i havent had that with tommy so i dont know. i bet if i had ended up going to that haas/agassi match last week i would probably feel differently

lfty
07-21-2004, 05:15 PM
y'know i say i dont like tommy but its probably just because he beats andy this year when he had been doing so well. i know that is a stupid reason, but thats pretty much it, and i think the reason many people dislike players: because they beat their favorites. anyways i really dont have any place to judge tommy, i guess i just dont want another threat for andy, though if he could have put up a good match i would have enjoyed it as long as andy had won lol. anyways, this is kinda similar to another thing and once i start i story i gotta finish sooo.... i never really liked dent mostly cuz he scared me (come on look at some of those pictures! he looks so scary sometimes when he serves and runs up or whatever) but then i met him at IW this year and it was cool to see him practicing and hanging out and now he is not my player but i like to see him win, at least till he must play andy. so i guess most of us shouldnt really dislike a player unless we have actually experienced something negative about them but i do it all the time to most player who beat andy so really i dont care about all the hating and what not. dang this is long...i must go to bed soon zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
lol, there aren’t too many players who beat Andy consistently so your list shouldn’t be too long. (anyone have an actual number/names of players who own Andy?) I can’t think of any player that I hate. I don’t even hate Ljubicic. I think conflicts make the sport exciting. And I don’t like it when one player dominates. Isn’t the match more entertaining when you don’t know if Andy will win or if he wins unexpectedly? (i.e. USO w/ Nalbandian) Heck, I’ve even said I want Mardy to beat Andy. I know I probably sound fickle but I promise I really am an Andy fan.

Havok
07-21-2004, 05:31 PM
the only players who own Andy (at least 3 wins over him) are Hewitt, Agassi, Federer, Haas, Henman. (I'm doing this off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure I'm right)

lfty
07-21-2004, 05:35 PM
Well I like Tommy despite the fact that I was at that match and obviously wanted Andy to win :p but I think everyone in the stadium who'd seen him play all week knew how tired he was and that he didn't really have a chance against Tommy. But anyway, the only thing I don't like about Tommy is that any time a match is close, he freaks out. He switches between English and German and swears about everything, at himself and at his coach. While it provided quite a bit of amusement to those of us within earshot, it's kinda distasteful :o
Yes, Tommy was rather temperamental during that match. But he wasn’t swearing at Andy or the ump or the fans. He was swearing at himself. And if you call him distasteful you’d have to call Andy distasteful too. And comparing Tommy with Andy off-court I would have to say Tommy was more considerate. He seemed to appreciate his fans much more (signed every autograph, took dozens of pictures, asked fans their names…) whereas Andy just seemed to do that stuff out of obligation.

lfty
07-21-2004, 05:41 PM
the only players who own Andy (at least 3 wins over him) are Hewitt, Agassi, Federer, Haas, Henman. (I'm doing this off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure I'm right)
:eek: I like all of them. I hope that doesn't disqualify me from being a fan of Andy. :p

Havok
07-21-2004, 05:43 PM
lmao, well I like 2 of them (Agassi, and Haas) so dont feel bad.:p

Havok
07-21-2004, 05:47 PM
I became a fan of Haas when I got into tennis (USO 2002) but ive never seen a full length match of him (I watched Federer beat him in I think PAris or Madrid, forgot which, and I also forgot everything about the match :lol: ) Hopefully I get to see him when he plays the TMS in Canada :cool:

andyroxmysox12191
07-21-2004, 06:27 PM
:lol: you can't be DQ of being a fan of andy's just cause you like the people who have a record over him :hug: if that's how this place was then it'd be :retard: imo ;)

tangerine_dream
07-21-2004, 07:04 PM

I like all five. :scared: That clearly makes me a *phony* Andy fan! :fiery:

:lol: you can't be DQ of being a fan of andy's just cause you like the people who have a record over him :hug: if that's how this place was then it'd be :retard: imo ;)

Try telling that to some of the :cuckoo: in the Federer forum. lol

Heck, I’ve even said I want Mardy to beat Andy.

:secret: I want Mardy to beat Andy one day, too ;)

I actually got in trouble with a few posters when I openly starting rooting for Mardy to beat Andy at Siebel. :haha:

Deboogle!.
07-21-2004, 07:08 PM
I actually got in trouble with a few posters when I openly starting rooting for Mardy to beat Andy at Siebel. :haha:

We were only teasing :p :smooch: :hug:

And I pretty much like most of the players who own Andy too...but I like the players ANDY owns better ;) :devil:

Jennay
07-21-2004, 11:46 PM
I like them all except Roger :banana:

But he is slowly growing on me :p

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 01:24 AM
yay he shaved

but WTF with the OLD outfits!! :fiery:

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/INDC103072121_lower.jpg

PinkFeatherBoa
07-22-2004, 01:30 AM
:sad: Where's the cool new shirt Andy?

tangerine_dream
07-22-2004, 01:34 AM
yay he shaved

I like this outfit even though he's worn it already. :p

Besides, he shouldn't bust out the new duds till TMS Canada. ;)

RoddickBabe10
07-22-2004, 01:37 AM
yay he shaved

:yippee: he shaved the gross GOATee! lol

I wanna see him wear that really cool tie-dyed shirt!

J. Corwin
07-22-2004, 01:41 AM
WTF is Andy doing. :p He's flunking the match away...

J. Corwin
07-22-2004, 01:51 AM
Play suspended. Good timing for Andy to re-gather himself.

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 02:09 AM
Andy had 40-0 in that game then hit errors and DFs and at 40-30 the rain started and it was pouring and people were starting to get up and leave but he actually SERVED and now it's DEUCE. Andy WTF is going on with you :banghead:

PinkFeatherBoa
07-22-2004, 02:28 AM
I know, what the hell is up with that? He kept going in that rain, if I were him I would want to get my ass off that court! I'm really at a loss about what to say about this match...really not a good thing being pissed off this early in the morning. This rain better make him turn this around.

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 02:34 AM
ugh the more I think about it the more pissed I am. why was he so solid in the first set and totally fell apart in the 2nd? IN the emails and phone calls after, Bud made it sound like he absolutely totally fell apart :smash:

Here's when he tried to be cute and traded his racket for the camera.. too bad he then still sucked :rolleyes:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040722/capt.indc10507220226.rca_tennis_indc105.jpg

Havok
07-22-2004, 02:45 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040722/capt.indc10507220226.rca_tennis_indc105.jpg
Andy Roddick searches for Anna Kournikova in the crowd

Allez, 2 for 2 :banana:

andyroxmysox12191
07-22-2004, 02:46 AM
:haha: :haha: everyone knows why i'm laughing or they should know why i am laughing :rolls:

andyroxmysox12191
07-22-2004, 02:47 AM
nAldo!!!! :worship: :haha:

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 02:47 AM
OMFG Naldoooooooooo LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PinkFeatherBoa
07-22-2004, 02:51 AM
:bigcry::haha: Naldo, doing well with the captions today. :worship:

Havok
07-22-2004, 03:01 AM
:hatoff:

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 03:06 AM
lol Naldo

well Andy's match will resume not before 2pm tomorrow after one singles match :rolleyes:

tangerine_dream
07-22-2004, 03:09 AM
Andy Roddick searches for Anna Kournikova in the crowd
Allez, 2 for 2 :banana:

Naldo's on a roll today :haha: :worship:

2 bananas for you :) :banana: :banana:

J. Corwin
07-22-2004, 03:14 AM
lol Naldo

well Andy's match will resume not before 2pm tomorrow after one singles match :rolleyes:

Well I'm not worried about Andy's endurance to go two matches in one day. I'm worried about his shitty play/performance. :scared: :retard:

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 03:17 AM
I'm not worried about it for one day.... it's just the fact that this is just the VERY beginning of a VERY lonnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg season and this is a crappy way to start it out.

and yes, him totally going :retard: in the second set is disconcerting to say the least.

Nishy
07-22-2004, 03:39 AM
Andy had 40-0 in that game then hit errors and DFs and at 40-30 the rain started and it was pouring and people were starting to get up and leave but he actually SERVED and now it's DEUCE. Andy WTF is going on with you :banghead:

Thank you for information.
Oh rain again... Hope the weather is on Andy's side.
I was thinking about Andy's match all time when I was out today. lol
How obsessed I was!

Hope he can get through this match.

superpinkone37
07-22-2004, 04:43 AM
ahhh i have been worrying all afternoon and night!!!! i left right when adny was about to start his match for tennis practice at school and didnt get home till just a bit ago cuz we stayed late to play some extra sets. i thought andy would have kicked this guys ass by now. im very upset at the way the match turned in the second set. maybe he got a little bored and was distracted and then all of a sudden he's down a couple breaks. i think many people do that, even me, cruise when ur ahead and then find urslef losing. at least andy shaved. i was getting worried that he was gonna have some thing else growing on his face. cant wait till tomorrow-- hopefully andy can regroup and pull himslef together. and since im on the west coast it i can watch the scoreboard starting at like 11 or something.

Nishy
07-22-2004, 05:47 AM
hahaha. I am not the only one to think about all time!
I think I was too much to expect he can get through this match easily.
Hope he can focus and get through tomorrow.

J. Corwin
07-22-2004, 06:26 AM
perfect timing for when i get up in the morning! :D

MaitaBaby
07-22-2004, 11:00 AM
LOL to Naldo's caption! :D

What's the score before play got suspended?

athena_wu
07-22-2004, 01:00 PM
I was thinking about Andy's match all time when I was out today. lol
How obsessed I was!

ME TOO!It should be an easy match, but Andy seems to have too much errors.

Hope the rain can help Andy recover soon.

lfty
07-22-2004, 01:27 PM
You guys are too cool. I figured I was gonna come back from work and find that I had been banned from Andy’s forum. :hug: But I do feel I should retract my statement about Andy only being nice to fans out of duty. I’m sure he appreciates his fans just as much as Tommy. :) And Tangy, the Siebel Open final was awesome! (that tiebreaker was just amazing) Mardy out aced Andy. :p Too bad Mardy couldn’t play like that yesterday. :rolleyes: Oh and Naldo, you’ve only been a tennis fan for two years? You could’ve fooled me. One more thing; I'd say good luck to Robby tonight but I don't know if he'll need it. :smash:

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 01:27 PM
The score was 6-4 2-5 Andy serving and Deuce on his serve.

Andy played a pretty solid 1st set by the sounds of it. I think his serve % was around 60, had a lot of aces, saved both break points he'd faced, etc. then Kratochvil opened the second serving, andy had a break point and missed it, then he held for 1-1 and then Kratochvil held for 2-1. Then Andy served two double faults and hit an error into the net to give him 0-40. I think he hit an ace on the first BP but then an error into the net. then Kratochvil took the next few games for 5-1 and served for the set when Andy was able to sneak a break back. But then Andy served, looked solid, was up 40-0 then hit an error and a DF for 40-30..... then the rain came and yet he served one point more and lost it so it's now deuce. Basically Andy's game just totally fell apart, his serve % went way down, he double faulted more, he hit way more errors (and they all seemed to go into the net too)... it's like his concentration totally came apart. Hopefully he can regroup (well quite frankly I don't see how he could come out tomorrow and play any WORSE lol) and at least hold serve, then put a ton of pressure on Kratochvil to serve out the set, and then take the third set if need be.

There are good chances of more storms today and tomorrow too so hopefully they stay away grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 01:30 PM
You guys are too cool. I figured I was gonna come back from work and find that I had been banned from Andy’s forum. :hug: But I do feel I should retract my statement about Andy only being nice to fans out of duty. I’m sure he appreciates his fans just as much as Tommy. :)

:confused: :scratch: why would you be banned? Unlike the jerks at General Messages, we don't attack people for their opinions, even if/when we disagree :) I believe personally that Andy appreciates his fans as much as anyone else, but that he has more of a problem with crowds and crowd control than a lot of the other players, especially in these small tourneys in the US where he's the top draw and there are 3x more people there to see him than anyone else in the draw lol... it just puts him in a more difficult position. But as for appreciating his fans, have you ever heard the story of what he did a few years ago in Houston?

blueriver
07-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Hi, athena, nice to meet you here...lolz...

and bunk, great analysis... :)

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 01:43 PM
Hi Joyce! Nice to see you! :hug:

btw, guys, the weather for today and tomorrow looks pretty ominous
=====

Rain slows Roddick
No. 1 seed wins 1st set, then struggles before delay

By Mark Ambrogi, Indianapolis Star
July 22, 2004

At one point in the second set against Michel Kratochvil, Andy Roddick felt he was playing so poorly that he handed his racket to a court-side photographer.

Roddick took the photographer's camera and briefly took a seat on a bench.

Not long after, heavy rain suspended the top-seeded Roddick's second-round match in the RCA Championships at the Indianapolis Tennis Center. Roddick, the defending champion, had won the first set 6-4 before an estimated crowd of 7,300.

During that first set, he uncorked a tournament-record 148-mph serve on an ace but found himself trailing 5-2 in the second set. Play was stopped with Roddick serving at 40-40.

The match will resume today as the second match on Stadium Court. The match won't begin before 2 p.m. Tickets for Wednesday night's session will be honored for the completion of the Roddick/Kratochvil match.

The extra time might give Roddick a chance to treat a blister on his right hand.

"I was surprised how Andy's game fell apart there," said NBC announcer Bud Collins, who was doing a radio broadcast of the match. "He lost his concentration entirely and then the other guy started to play pretty well. (Kratochvil) isn't chopped liver. But I think Andy will be all right. He has certainly improved over the last year."

Collins said the rain delay shouldn't affect Roddick, whose semifinal and final matches had rain delays at Wimbledon. This was Roddick's first match since his loss to Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final on July 4.

Collins said Roddick has a burden on his shoulders heading toward the Summer Olympics and the U.S. Open because the other U.S. players are struggling now.

lfty
07-22-2004, 01:52 PM
:confused: :scratch: why would you be banned? Unlike the jerks at General Messages, we don't attack people for their opinions, even if/when we disagree :) I believe personally that Andy appreciates his fans as much as anyone else, but that he has more of a problem with crowds and crowd control than a lot of the other players, especially in these small tourneys in the US where he's the top draw and there are 3x more people there to see him than anyone else in the draw lol... it just puts him in a more difficult position. But as for appreciating his fans, have you ever heard the story of what he did a few years ago in Houston?
I was jk about being banned but I wouldn’t have been surprised to find some negative reps. But you guys are way too cool for that. :) About Andy, I agree that it's totally different for him compared to any other player right now. And he handles it well. He just seemed a little cranky when I saw him but it’s understandable. And are you talking about when he bought tickets for the fans in Houston who waited for his match in the rain? That goes way above and beyond appreciation, imo. :angel:

Fumus
07-22-2004, 02:04 PM
I love how Andy did the camera thing...lol ! People ask me, how are you a Roddick fan? Thats why, that's why I am Roddick fan, he does stuff like that and it's something Roger would never do!

zoltan83
07-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Damn... stupid me. I would like to try the Vbetting game and it was too late when I wanted to bet for Andy's match :sad:
It will be for the next round.
Thanks for the analysis Deb!

Good luck for the end of the match Andy!

lfty
07-22-2004, 02:10 PM
I love how Andy did the camera thing...lol ! People ask me, how are you a Roddick fan? Thats why, that's why I am Roddick fan, he does stuff like that and it's something Roger would never do!

Picturing Roger doing that. :lol:

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 02:10 PM
I was jk about being banned but I wouldn’t have been surprised to find some negative reps. But you guys are way too cool for that. :) About Andy, I agree that it's totally different for him compared to any other player right now. And he handles it well. He just seemed a little cranky when I saw him but it’s understandable. And are you talking about when he bought tickets for the fans in Houston who waited for his match in the rain? That goes way above and beyond appreciation, imo. :angel:

Yes we are just too cool for that. Seriously, I can't imagine neg-repping anyone here for anything. I definitely don't agree with everything people say, but everyone here respects everyone else and that's all you really need :)

I think Houston this year was a rough week for Andy, as we've discussed a lot here over the months, he probably shouldn't have played. He was wiped. But I saw him after a couple of practices and was very gracious signing autographs... I think he was moody that week :) But yes, when he bought tickets for the final for the fans in the rain, that's what I was talking about... I suppose you're right, that transcends appreciation :)

Fumigator, I agree with you, it's stuff like that which is why I'm an Andy fan but I would rather he have gotten the easy overhead over the net instead of bricking it. Bud Collins couldn't believe it really lol. he was like "oh my god he HACKED that one!!!" and it was right after that Andy found the photographer. He better have woken up today much more focused :o

aww Nicolas better luck next time trying the vbetting lol. I haven't had such good luck :o

blueriver
07-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Hiya, Bunk, Nice to see you here also... :hug:.Long time no talk... :sad:

Thanks for the article, Bunk...Andy really has the personality, very funny :D Yeah, he does something Roger will never do..

I think Andy will be all right, there are some null between tournaments, he will find the groove soon!! I will get up early tomorrow to get the result..Good luck!!

blueriver
07-22-2004, 02:49 PM
and Bunk, I found your post in Pete sampras's board the other day..hehe..That's cool..I am a big fan of Pete also...

Go Andy :) :D :D

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 02:49 PM
well i'm glad you came back and are posting :hug: You should come more often :)

tangerine_dream
07-22-2004, 03:07 PM
I'm with you, superpinkone. When I got home from work I fully expected Andy's match to be over with already with a scoreline looking something like 6-3, 6-2. I was shocked to see that he was in the middle of blowing the second set before the rain saved him.

Collins said Roddick has a burden on his shoulders heading toward the Summer Olympics and the U.S. Open because the other U.S. players are struggling now.

Andy always says he's perfectly fine with all the added pressure resting on his shoulders but I'm sure it must get to him after a while. To be the lone ranger is no fun. Everyone depends on Andy but can Andy depend on anyone else? This is one reason why I get so frustrated with Mardy Fish, who shouldn't be losing matches so early. :fiery:

And I agree, Ifty, Andy can come off as being a tad moody sometimes but frankly, when you're a wanted man by the press and the fans, and you have the added pressure to carry the US on your shoulders because your teammates are lame, and you rarely have a moment to yourself to collect your thoughts, I'd be moody too. ;)

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 03:11 PM
And I agree, Ifty, Andy can come off as being a tad moody sometimes but frankly, when you're a wanted man by the press and the fans, and you have the added pressure to carry the US on your shoulders because your teammates are lame, and you rarely have a moment to yourself to collect your thoughts, I'd be moody too. ;)

:o I'm getting moody thinking about it :haha:

Dirk
07-22-2004, 04:25 PM
That is funny that Andy did that. I don't mind clever and creative humor like that. Took quite a bit of nerve to stop play like that. :bigclap: Far more clever than going to the bottom of the barrel for a fart schtick like he did during the Wimbly final. I think Pete's "pick the ball out my shorts ballboy" schtick was far and away the worse. I don't mind humor and antics as long as they are not geared towards linesmen, umpires, ballkids, or players.

Speaking of Federer, he did a few things. At Oz during the Tommy match in 02 he stopped play because there was a moth on the court. He asked the ball boy to pick it up which the kid did. I think he did it another time too but I forget the event. Not the kind of thing which would get you a comedy award but he might get a PETA award. ;) :yeah:

Jennay
07-22-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm with you, superpinkone. When I got home from work I fully expected Andy's match to be over with already with a scoreline looking something like 6-3, 6-2. I was shocked to see that he was in the middle of blowing the second set before the rain saved him.

Andy always says he's perfectly fine with all the added pressure resting on his shoulders but I'm sure it must get to him after a while. To be the lone ranger is no fun. Everyone depends on Andy but can Andy depend on anyone else? This is one reason why I get so frustrated with Mardy Fish, who shouldn't be losing matches so early. :fiery:

I agree tangy. The second set so far has been a big brain fart for Andy. Hopefully he can still make a comeback and not play a 3rd.

As for Mardy :fiery: What is with him lately? He needs to get his head on straight.

I like when Andy is moody :banana: But I don't usually see him taking it out on the fans :unsure: Mardy, Robby, etc. need to step it up and help Andy out :)

MaitaBaby
07-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Well, good luck to Andy tomorrow! Hope he'll make a great come back and win the match in the 2nd set! :D That camera thing seemed funny! That's what I love about Andy, he brings in humor, which the game needs! :)

Fumus
07-22-2004, 05:41 PM
That is funny that Andy did that. I don't mind clever and creative humor like that. Took quite a bit of nerve to stop play like that. :bigclap: Far more clever than going to the bottom of the barrel for a fart schtick like he did during the Wimbly final. I think Pete's "pick the ball out my shorts ballboy" schtick was far and away the worse. I don't mind humor and antics as long as they are not geared towards linesmen, umpires, ballkids, or players.

Speaking of Federer, he did a few things. At Oz during the Tommy match in 02 he stopped play because there was a moth on the court. He asked the ball boy to pick it up which the kid did. I think he did it another time too but I forget the event. Not the kind of thing which would get you a comedy award but he might get a PETA award. ;) :yeah:

lol...he saved the moth..haha:haha: that's soo Federer! Yea that's kinda funny. What match was it that Federer was playing and his opponent pulled down their shorts after Federer hit a brillant shot? lol

superpinkone37
07-22-2004, 05:47 PM

that is so true, for me, and probably for many andy fans. when i heard about the camera thing, i smiled thinking, "only andy..." cuz i know he would do domething like that, and only he.

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 05:52 PM
that is so true, for me, and probably for many andy fans. when i heard about the camera thing, i smiled thinking, "only andy..." cuz i know he would do domething like that, and only he.

For sure :) defintiely part of why I'm an Andy fan!

but I still would rather him not have missed the overhead which brought it back to deuce which paved the way for Kratochvil's second break :) I like that Andy has the humor even in tense situations.... but I'd rather the situation not ever be tense to start with :angel:

Fumus
07-22-2004, 05:55 PM

That's why he's number 1 in your heart...lol

Fumus
07-22-2004, 05:59 PM
does his match start again soon?

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 06:01 PM
about an hour

Fumus
07-22-2004, 06:02 PM
he looked bad yesterday? or so you hear?

superpinkone37
07-22-2004, 06:05 PM
That's why he's number 1 in your heart...lol

lol....exactly :inlove:

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 06:06 PM
he looked bad yesterday? or so you hear?

we were listening to the ESPN radio that broadcasts online with live commentary from Bud Collins and a local guy. I've already summarized everything so I won't do it again but basically he had a solid first set and fell apart completely in the second.

andyroxmysox12191
07-22-2004, 06:07 PM
i found taking the camera funny. at any time it's funny cept when it's not a good time. ok that made no sense lol. but yeah andy's sense of humor is a big part of why i love him :)

superpinkone37
07-22-2004, 06:09 PM
we were listening to the ESPN radio that broadcasts online with live commentary from Bud Collins and a local guy. I've already summarized everything so I won't do it again but basically he had a solid first set and fell apart completely in the second.

i was trying to find the espn radio thing but it wasnt working. maybe i have a bad link or something. could someone please post it, or tell me where i can find it? and it always seems that something funny happens when we cant see it, the the photographer thing yesterday. oh well, if i can see him then i wanna at least hear what going on...

Fumus
07-22-2004, 06:10 PM
ugh...Arms...that ava..is just sooo..bleh

I hear he isn't wearing the new shirt he's sporting the shirt I have! lol

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 06:13 PM
it's www.espn950.com and then theres a little button on the left to click to listen. I think you have to have Winamp or RealPlayer. It opens for me automatically in Winamp and I haven't had a problem. Bud describes things very vividly, I've enjoyed the commentary, but the only thing missing is court noises, you can't hear the ball hitting and when the players scream and the crowd and the ump, that'd be a nice touch but oh well. MUCH better than nothing!

Fumigator, read the thread for the pics I posted :p

superpinkone37
07-22-2004, 06:15 PM
uuughhh when i click listen it opens up jukebox but jukebox doesnt play it. i have media player, real player, and others but it wont play on those. is there a way to set it so it will play on my preference of programs?>

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 06:17 PM
What you can do is copy the URL (http://war.str3am.com:7010/listen.pls) then open up RealPlayer then go to File>Open URL (or something similar) and paste that URL in and see if that works. they are on air all day (not tennis stuff but ESPN stuff) so if you have time now you might want to fiddle with it to get it working now for later :)

Fumus
07-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Fumigator, read the thread for the pics I posted

All I have to say is Bunk rules she is sooo awesome! I love her and she rocks!

haha, about the radio thingie, put the work in now, so it's good later, I think that the idea behind going to school right?

superpinkone37
07-22-2004, 06:27 PM
haha thank goodness you guys all kow practically everything. it works now, not tennis yet, but its playing something espn related so i am happy now. do u know when they will start commentating tennis? i think someone said something about doing it at night only but im not sure...

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 06:28 PM
glad it works :D

the tennis is at 7:30pm local time (Central US) so just add or subtract hours for your time zone:)

superpinkone37
07-22-2004, 06:29 PM
ok and if andy starts not sucking when he finishes his match today then his next match will take place at that time right? so i will be able to listen to that. thanks agian

Fumus
07-22-2004, 06:30 PM
man, that was slick in the Andrew thread, thanks Bunk!

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 06:31 PM
LMFAO I think I understood you correctly, and if so yes. if Andy wins his match that will resume as soon as the match that's on right now finishes, he would play Robby tonight and that would be broadcast on the radio.

no worries, Fumigator.... just think a little more before writing something like that maybe :)

superpinkone37
07-22-2004, 06:33 PM
lol im getting anxious for andy's match to start up again, and reading though the message after i posted it, i realize i make no sense. lol

Fumus
07-22-2004, 06:47 PM
LMFAO I think I understood you correctly, and if so yes. if Andy wins his match that will resume as soon as the match that's on right now finishes, he would play Robby tonight and that would be broadcast on the radio.

no worries, Fumigator.... just think a little more before writing something like that maybe :)

lol Bunk, I thought about it and I was like no way, I have never even...well lol, next time, I really will think! :) :angel: :o :)

MaitaBaby
07-22-2004, 06:49 PM
It's like 2:45 AM here in my place.. how many hours to go til Andy's match starts?

J. Corwin
07-22-2004, 06:49 PM
lol Bunk, I thought about it and I was like no way, I have never even...well lol, next time, I really will think! :) :angel: :o :)

Good thing you have Deb watching over you. She's your guardian :angel: LOL. Ok I'll stop.

Dirk
07-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Fumus that was against Alex Correjta in Kooyang this year. The pulling down his pants incident.

J. Corwin
07-22-2004, 06:50 PM
It's like 2:45 AM here in my place.. how many hours to go til Andy's match starts?

It should start in 10-15 minutes. :)

MaitaBaby
07-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Oh, ok.. thanks! :D I'll just be chatting for updates cuz that espn live radio isn't working.. :(

Deboogle!.
Well Kiefer's not done with his match so it's probably at least another half hour away :fiery:

and the radio only covers tennis for the night session.

Fumus
Good thing you have Deb watching over you. She's your guardian :angel: LOL. Ok I'll stop.

Deb :hug:, like I was saying she rules! We all love her! She knows it!

J. Corwin
07-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Yes, we do. :) Deb rocks. :hug:

J. Corwin
07-22-2004, 06:55 PM
Well Kiefer's not done with his match so it's probably at least another half hour away :fiery:

and the radio only covers tennis for the night session.

Great..the match will be played while I'm in class then. My mind will be on how Andy is crapping this match away. :)

superpinkone37
07-22-2004, 06:55 PM
that keifer match going on right now better not go to a third set, i will probablt go crazy waiting.

MaitaBaby
07-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Oh.. I should just probably go to bed now.. It's like 3AM and I have a class at 8! Maybe when I wake up Andy's won the match!.. :)
Goodnight everyone!

elusive
07-22-2004, 06:57 PM
yep i hope kiefer wins fast so andy's match can start. im psyched frm waiting! its ard 2.57am at my place. horrors

and gdness knows why im staying up since i have a horrid test tomorrow :)

Fumus
07-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Fumus that was against Alex Correjta in Kooyang this year. The pulling down his pants incident.

haha that was funny. My favorite, Federer moment this year was when he was at IW looking at those highlights..haha. That was soo funny. They were asking him about that backhand passer on the run like sideways on his backfoot with insane angle by time and he was like "that's in my repertoire". lol Pmac was like what shot isn't! Roger was like I don't know you tell me! haha, Then Roger tells us after he was talking about all the highlights that his screen was black the whole time...hahaha!!!:haha: Best Roger moment!

superpinkone37
07-22-2004, 06:59 PM
yep i hope kiefer wins fast so andy's match can start. im psyched frm waiting. its ard 2.57 at my place :b

wow here its still only 11:58 in the morning, much better for me for watching this tourney cuz i dont have to wait all day, though i am already very anxious...

MaitaBaby
07-22-2004, 07:03 PM
yep i hope kiefer wins fast so andy's match can start. im psyched frm waiting! its ard 2.57am at my place. horrors

and gdness knows why im staying up since i have a horrid test tomorrow :)

We have the same timezone! Nice..! And we both are still up in the wee hours of the night just for Andy..
I'm going to bed in a few minutes now cause I have a class in like 5 hours!

elusive
07-22-2004, 07:06 PM
We have the same timezone! Nice..! And we both are still up in the wee hours of the night just for Andy..

glad to know im not the only silly one around. :)
yep its all for andy!

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Kiefer just finished. sooo about 20 min or so for Andy. Get on MSN if you wanna chat :)

superpinkone37
07-22-2004, 07:10 PM
ok the keifer match just finished, so andy should be up in a few minutes.

superpinkone37
07-22-2004, 07:11 PM
wow im too slow for everything!!!

superpinkone37
07-22-2004, 07:21 PM
is there anyone still here????

J. Corwin
07-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Alright I'm leavin....Andy better have won when I come back.

Nishy
07-22-2004, 08:26 PM
Andy won!

Now I can take off.
Hope he keeps good feeling in the next match.

elusive
07-22-2004, 08:28 PM
yes! he won!!! 6-4 2-6 6-4
GD JOB ANDY <3

now i can go to sleep in peace and battle my test tomorrow! :D

andyroxmysox12191
07-22-2004, 08:37 PM
good luck with your test :hug:
and finally andy you won!

Jennay
07-22-2004, 08:54 PM
:woohoo: Even though Andy should have won in two :rolleyes:

Elusive good luck on your test :)

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 09:22 PM
According to the Indy paper..... andy had 49 unforced errors :mad: :fiery: OMFG he has to play better tonight.

MaitaBaby
07-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Hey! Congratz to Andy for winning! Hope he plays better in the next round! :) I just got a few hours of sleep but he's won.. it feels like I have all the energy in the world!

RoddickBabe10
07-22-2004, 09:42 PM
6-4, 2-6, 6-4

Hmmm... 2-6? What happened...?

andyroxmysox12191
07-22-2004, 10:04 PM
he acted like ass thats what happened :) he won at least but deb is gonna go on this forever ;) :hug: jk :)

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 10:10 PM
what do you mean Mani?? LOL I'll give him one match of rustiness. If he comes out tonight against Robby and plays better I'll be fine :)

andyroxmysox12191
07-22-2004, 10:10 PM
:lol: sometimes you hold it against him but oh well :hug: we still love you :)

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Sometimes I do, but not if it's a one-off! If he goes out tonight and pounds Robby I'm not gonna keep harping on him lmfao

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Roddick starts his summer of tennis with patchy win over sick Swiss

By Bill Scott, July 22, 2004
INDIANAPOLIS -- Andy Roddick knows he's got a lot of tennis ground to cover if he's to duplicate his four-trophy performance from last summer.

The world No. 2 at least got started in the task which will cover the next few months as he scrambled past Switzerland's ailing Michal Kratochvil for a 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 win into the third round of the RCA Championships Thursday.

After a first-round bye, it took two days for top seed Roddick to finally secure his victory against Switzerland's Kratochvil following a storm Wednesday night interrupted play with the American down 2-5 in the second set.

And it cannot have been far from A-Rodd's mind that the last man he faced - Swiss Roger Federer - hammered him in the Wimbledon final three weeks ago.

Roddick admitted: "There's always room for improvement. This was the first match back after a couple of weeks off.

"It's always difficult but the more opportunities I give myself to play, the better I will get so hopefully I'll get through a coupl of more."

The contest was played in steamy heat and humidity, which didn't do much good for the breathing problems which No. 173 qualifier Kratochvil has been suffering this week. "The weather and the humidity and sweating that much..." said Roddick. "It's not fun, but it's just something that you have to kind of play through."

Kratochvil, getting back on his game after two seasons of knee and elbow injuries, admitted that his fitness was suspect late in the match. He took a timeout for medical treatment while trailing 3-4 in the final set.

"I've been a little bit sick to my stomach but I've been finding it tough to breath, said the former world No. 35. "I need to get the problem taken care of."

An erratic Roddick has a major swag of points to defend starting this week, with four titles from summer, 2003, including the U.S. Open. One slip-up will surely put runaway points leader Federer into even tighter command of the table.

The Swiss said that though he was starting to read Roddick's big serve, he was also having his physical problems the previous evening. "He gets a lot of free points off that serve. I was running out of energy in the middle of the third set. He saw that and took his chances."

Kratochvil saved three break points in the fifth game of the final set from Roddick errors, but lost his serve in the seventh to drop to 3-4 before finally taking the loss in a contest where Roddick struck 23 aces and 39 winners.

Roddick earned a third-round match later in the day against compatriot Robby Ginepri.

zoltan83
07-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Congrats Andy but... winning in 3 and 49 UE :eek: he can do much better!

Deboogle!.
07-22-2004, 10:47 PM
blisters :o :rolleyes:
-------

Roddick overcomes blisters and stiff challenge to advance

HANK LOWENKRON, AP Sports Writer
Thursday, July 22, 2004

(07-22) 15:32 PDT INDIANAPOLIS (AP) --

Defending champion Andy Roddick overcame blisters on his right hand and a tough challenge from qualifier Michel Kratochvil in a rain-suspended match Thursday to move into the third round of the RCA Championships.

Roddick, playing in his first tournament since losing to Roger Federer in the championship match at Wimbledon, won the opening set 6-4 and was trailing 2-5 when a heavy downpour halted play Wednesday night.

Kratochvil quickly won the second set Thursday 6-2 and Roddick's big serve produced a 6-4 victory in the third set.

Even though Roddick had blisters on his palm and fingers, he still produced hard serves that reached 148 mph.

"The weather and the humidity and sweating that much, it's not fun, but it's just something that you have to kind of play through," Roddick said in a statement.

He declined to meet with the media because he was scheduled to play Thursday night against No. 15 Robby Ginepri in a battle of American tennis stars.

Roddick recorded 23 aces, compared to only five by Kratochvil, on Thursday. The top-seeded Roddick won 83 percent of the points when he got his first serve in (38 of 46). Nine of his aces came in the final set, many at crucial points.

"He has a big serve. I wish I could do more with it, but I couldn't," said Kratochvil, who fell behind 3-4 in the final set.

Roddick then lost the first two points of the next game, but managed to hold on with the help of three consecutive aces tied at 135 mph, 138 mph and 129 mph and a 135 mph offering that was returned wide.

Kratochvil used two aces to hold and then Roddick ended the match with the help of two more aces.

J. Corwin
07-22-2004, 10:54 PM
49 errors! Holy Fed Express! :eek:

Andy---> :retard: :smash:

tangerine_dream
07-22-2004, 11:11 PM
49 errors! Holy Fed Express! :eek:

Is Andy playing for WTA now? :o

:haha: jace

MaitaBaby
07-23-2004, 12:25 AM

:haha:

superpinkone37
07-23-2004, 12:33 AM
lol, cant wait till his next match

Deboogle!.
07-23-2004, 12:36 AM
Bud just said Andy has blisters, his leg is strapped

Bud thinks Robby has a good chance b/c of Andy playing shitty, these weird minor injuries, and the fact that Andy played earlier.

Lovely.

MaitaBaby
07-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Who's Andy playing next? Robby Ginepri?
I hope the blisters will go away just in time! :)

Deboogle!.
07-23-2004, 12:42 AM
yea he plays Robby tonight, weather-permitting. Bud is making Andy's situation sound kinda dire :(

Havok
07-23-2004, 12:45 AM

If he were, he would have had less than 20 winners. :haha:

oh and btw people still win with those shit stats at on the WTA Tour:haha:

heya
07-23-2004, 01:37 AM
What is it with U.S. players who act stupid because they can't handle stress?
Andy looks even more out of control. It's not shocking, really.
He surrounds himself with retired practice partners and a careless coach who suffers from foot in mouth disease. Andy didn't enjoy working hard and playing in Europe recently, did he?
Why not change the serve, strengthen the backhand, sharpen the forehand and net game and end the costly double faults?:scared:

Mardy/Andy can stop dreaming about a Davis Cup win. Worry about winning a title. :tape: Go to hell, delusional PMAC.

Andy, restrain yourself from the sulking, fart joke and undignified antics (net pulling, camera joke).
I was so disgusted that I stopped caring about the last match and ESPN TV interview.

Proph
07-23-2004, 01:43 AM
heya's back

superpinkone37
07-23-2004, 01:46 AM
oooo sounds kinda harsh to me but then again i didnt see that match and was only keeping up with the live scoring in todays part of it cuz i wasnt home yesterday. then again what do i know. i could be very wrong in how i see andy's performances

Nishy
07-23-2004, 01:53 AM
It seems Andy and Robby match will be scheduled tomorrow.
He has blisters...Oh hope it's not so serious.
I personally don't like the scheduling that Andy (or defending champion) plays night session. The weather sometimes effect the schedule and player have to play two matches in same day.

By the way,
What do you think of Andy's performance compare to last year?
I know last summer hard court season was just incredible and it may be difficult to do again.
But I have been little worrying about Andy's performance recently. I just want to let you know I am kind of the person who always worries about Andy's match. lol
I think right after he and Brad started to work together, he was more focus the game and his unforced error was reduced a lot in last year.
This year, he is showing us his skill is improving, backhand, volley, return, etc...
But currently he seems to have more unforced errors including DF and little lose focus compare to last summer season.
What happen to him?
I just think this year is in the process that he right now is trying to change his play style like, serve variety, coming net more, etc.
That why he seems to have errors more than last summer?

Or do I expect him too much?

Deboogle!.
07-23-2004, 01:57 AM
They keep saying that Andy/Robby will be played after Grosjean/Malisse, even if it doesn't start til like 10pm.

As for your other questios... I just don't know *sigh*

Havok
07-23-2004, 02:01 AM
All that matters is that he's a better player now. :cool:

RoddickBabe10
07-23-2004, 02:34 AM
:scared: What is going on? All these posts are making me really nervous about Andy's game and how well he'll be playing or if he'll even be able to defend his titles :scared: Oh God, I hope Andy's blisters :rolleyes: aren't that serious and his leg. What is going on?!

And as for if he's a better player now, I think so. But 49 UE? WTF? And IMO, if he keeps playing like this, he'll have a tough time with Ginepri. Personally, I think Robby is a great player as well. So, I guess, we'll see.

Okay I'm done. LOL

superpinkone37
07-23-2004, 02:42 AM
i think the unforced errors had a lot to do coming back from the rain breaks in the middle of the match, but even still that is a LOT of errors from andy. also its is his first match since wimbledon, so that could be a factor. hopefully thorughout and after this match, if he can pull it off, those errors will go down as he gets in the groove of things once more.

tangerine_dream
07-23-2004, 03:02 AM
What is it with U.S. players who act stupid because they can't handle stress?
Andy looks even more out of control. It's not shocking, really.
He surrounds himself with retired practice partners and a careless coach who suffers from foot in mouth disease. Andy didn't enjoy working hard and playing in Europe recently, did he?
Why not change the serve, strengthen the backhand, sharpen the forehand and net game and end the costly double faults?:scared:

Mardy/Andy can stop dreaming about a Davis Cup win. Worry about winning a title. :tape: Go to hell, delusional PMAC.

Andy, restrain yourself from the sulking, fart joke and undignified antics (net pulling, camera joke).
I was so disgusted that I stopped caring about the last match and ESPN TV interview.

heya's back and merciless as ever! :lol: :banana:

lfty
07-23-2004, 03:38 AM
Andy is obviously a better player now than he was 12 months ago. But it’s unlikely he’ll win as many matches as he did last summer. *ugh* It makes sense yet it’s not logical. :(
--
I am really liking the ESPN radio broadcast. They’re so descriptive. And educational. I wish the tv commentators were more like this and less chatty.
--
Robby broke Andy?!? :eek: C'mon Andy! wtf?

superpinkone37
07-23-2004, 04:24 AM
twice, i think actually

Deboogle!.
07-23-2004, 04:29 AM
yea Robby was up 2-0 and then he broke back when Andy was serving with a break at 4-3 so after NO break points in the first set there were 5 breaks in 10 games in the second LMAO....

I've noticed this all year actually that Andy is actually worse at saving BPs this year than he was last year... it's weird. But, tonight it sounded like Robby was really playing well, 22 winners/9 errors, those are good numbers considering he lost in straights. But Andy played a great tiebreak and Robby had a couple too many errors in the second set at the wrong times. Otherwise I think Robby played better. But it sounds like Andy played better than last night considering his opponent also played better, so that's encouraging. Hrbaty can beat him so Andy will need to play even better tomorrow afternoon. But Andy might be extra pumped for a little revenge on HIS home turf? well, I hope so anyway :)

superpinkone37
07-23-2004, 05:08 AM
i think we all hope so!!! lol

RoddickBabe10
07-23-2004, 05:21 AM
:scared: Based on your posts, I really am scared and nervous now... LOL

Please, please, Andy play better!!! We love you!!! lmao

superpinkone37
07-23-2004, 05:50 AM
actually i think andy played much better tonight than his first match. but this is based on watching the live scoring and listening to bud on the radio. its much different when u atually see him play-- you can see for urslef what kinds of shots he making (and missing,lol). and he always says after a few matches he starts feeling deeper in the tourney and can play better, which i think is especially true since this was only the second mnatch since wimbly. hopefully it is true that he will play better because he will definatley need to raise his game in order to win tomorrow. good luck andy!!!

lfty
07-23-2004, 05:54 AM
Somehow I missed this. What is wrong with his leg? :unsure: :awww:

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/23128cff.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/93920131.jpg

superpinkone37
07-23-2004, 06:00 AM
ohhh i heard on the radio i think that he had his leg taped or something, but even in all the articles and stuff they only mentioned the blister if anything, and normally a blister is something that isnt that bad cuz it will go away. no one has really said anything about the leg so hopefully its just precautionary. but look at the new shoes--just noticed those too

Nishy
07-23-2004, 06:21 AM
It sound Robby played well but Andy could handle it even though he didn't have so much serve ace.
Good win for Andy.
Hope his minor injury aren't so serious.

Go Andy!

Proph
07-23-2004, 09:18 AM
wow...pizza boy has left the building!!!!

MaitaBaby
07-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Congratz Andy!
Who's he playing in the next round?

Deboogle!.
07-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Andy plays Dominik Hrbaty, who if you remember beat him last year right after the USO in Slovakia on clay at Davis Cup. But Andy is actually 2-1 against him, both wins on hardcourt but those matches were 2 and 3 years ago. Obviously Andy is a better player than he was then (knowledge of his CURRENT form notwithstanding lol) but Hrbaty is playing really well right now too. Hopefully Andy keeps getting less rusty and keeps getting some rest and keeps getting the blister taken care of and that there's nothing wrong with his leg..... anddddddd :o

Here are his quotes from the ATP summary:
===

Roddick: (on the rain delay): "I'm getting used to it after Wimbledon. It was unfortunate the rain came last night but it's a lot easier when you know what's ahead of you. I knew what I had to do today and you just have to come out and get it done."

(on the blister on his right hand) "We kept icing it and treating it as much as possible. It's tough because of the humidity and moisture. Like I said it's there and you deal with it."

(on the first set) "I wasn't even getting a sniff on his serve and I wasn't even close. He was playing a lot better than me in the first set but my serve kept me in it. I play well in tie-breaks and unfortunately for him he missed a couple of forehands. But that's the pressure of a tie-breaker." (Yea, Robby really sucks in tiebreaks. Twice, in person, I saw him blow HUGE leads in breakers with double faults and erorrs :o)

(on first match back since Wimbledon) "I was a little rusty. I was so grooved in one surface. It happened the same way last year where I struggled the first couple of rounds and the more matches I get through the better I will play." (That's true, he did...)

(on playing Hrbaty) "Dominik is a great player and he's had a solid season. I think he's in the Top 15 in the Champions Race. The last time we played he got me so I'm looking forward to it."

MaitaBaby
07-23-2004, 12:48 PM
thanks for that Bunk! :)
I think Andy will be able to win against Hrbaty. He's won against him on hard court before where he wasn't as good as he is now. I don't really watch Hrbaty play so I have no clue what his strengths/weaknesses are! I just hope that Andy will be able to raise him game a higher and I hope that the blisters will go away too! :)

Deboogle!.
07-23-2004, 12:56 PM
You're welcome :)

and yep, amen to what you said. Certainly on paper Andy should win, but it's tennis and you just never know. Hopefully Andy got a nice rest, gets the blister taken care of, etc. Hrbaty had a tougher, much longer match last night and it's hot in Indy so you just never know what will happen - and hopefully Andy just keeps improving as each match goes on :)

Fumus
07-23-2004, 02:02 PM
Somehow I missed this. What is wrong with his leg? :unsure: :awww:

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/23128cff.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/93920131.jpg

Guys did anyone notice Andy has new kicks? lol, No more Fijams, wtf are those things?

Fumus
07-23-2004, 02:05 PM
oh and for everyone that wonders that leg thing is nothing, it's just tendonitis in the knee, most times players just wear it just for precaution(Nadal), sort of like Andy's ankle gaurds, or the rubber band on his arm for tendonitis in that area.

I would imagine Andy felt it was alittle sore in the knee so he put one on to be safe. That's all, nothing much, I wear one from time to time as well, it just keeps pressure on one of the major tendons in the knee(located on the backside of the leg) so it doesn't throb or inflame itself.

Deboogle!.
07-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Thanks for that info Fumigator :smooch: Hopefully it's nothing... just with the looooooooooooong season ahead, you don't want injury problems at the beginning when there are no days off for weeks lol

Oh and I like the new shoes, they're :cool: Maybe it's just an updated version of the Figjam? dunno... but I'm still :fiery: about where the cool new outfit is.

athena_wu
07-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Hi, athena, nice to meet you here...lolz...

Oh, very surprised to meet a Chinese here. Nice to meet you, too.

BTW,what's the matter with Andy's knee??? Why has a black belt on it? :confused:

Fumus
07-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Oh, very surprised to meet a Chinese here. Nice to meet you, too.

BTW,what's the matter with Andy's knee??? Why has a black belt on it? :confused:

read before you post...lol, I was just talking about that..haha

athena_wu
07-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Oh, I have just see Fumus's comments.
Hopefully, he is OK. I have heard that Andy's hand had water blister, what's the matter???? Is that serious??

Fumus
07-23-2004, 02:27 PM
Thanks for that info Fumigator :smooch: Hopefully it's nothing... just with the looooooooooooong season ahead, you don't want injury problems at the beginning when there are no days off for weeks lol

Oh and I like the new shoes, they're :cool: Maybe it's just an updated version of the Figjam? dunno... but I'm still :fiery: about where the cool new outfit is.

The new shoes look crappy...ugh..they look like pumps...lol...I can just see Andy stopping before a serve, put his hand up. *squeek squeek squeek* Sorry had to pump up! ok! :lol:

http://www.astimeexpires.com/reebokpumps.jpg

tangerine_dream
07-23-2004, 02:31 PM
wow...pizza boy has left the building!!!!

No kidding! :eek: No more doughboy. Aww :awww: ;)

BTW, I like your new av. Tres cool. :yeah:

Havok
07-23-2004, 02:54 PM
I didn't even notice that black strap on his knee :haha::haha: Both times I had thought it was a shadow or something :retard: Anyways, these new shoes are just just :ras:. so boring, I want the figjams back:(

MaitaBaby
07-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Me too, I don't like the new shoes!! They look like old fashioned shoes! I liked his previous shoes better. Where's the new outfit? I liked the white preppy outfit he had on during Wimbledon practice. I though he was gonna use it the matches but he didn't :(

Mr. Man
07-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Whats with the all white? Where is the color??!?!