Nadal's true potential [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal's true potential

NadalSharapova
07-02-2008, 10:23 PM
In my opinion Nadal is one of the most talented players of all time.

He has just turned 22 and he has 4 GS titles and has a great chance of winning wimbledon to make it 5. Federer when he was the exact same age only just won his first GS title. So he is far superior now that fed was when he was the same age. (Obviously I know players peak at different times but nadal clearly has not peaked as we have seen the great improvemen from him in the past year.)

Time will tell if I am correct but looking at Nadal's game, I have never seen such great shots and variety from anyone ever who is aged so young.

Chrisilson
07-02-2008, 10:35 PM
There is no doubt that Nadal has many more titles in him but in my mind, the jury is still out on whether he can do what Federer has done.

He has quickly become a shotmaker in the last year but essentially he is still somewhat of a grinder on court. To maintain him level of performance he will have to stay at in his current physical condition for several years and avoid injuries. I can't imagine he'll ever be stronger than he is now so the question is whether he can maintain this. More of an issue for me is him staying injury free. The way he plays is undoubtedly very demanding on his body and although he is supremly fit and can cope with it now, I think it'll catch up with him at some point.

Nadal's potential is scary but his game now is largely based on brute force. If he wants to match Federer's career he'll have add alot more to his game.

marcRD
07-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Nadal is limited on hardcourt because the great effort it takes on his body, we will see how the new improvements will play out on the hardcourt season. It has so far worked quite good against former nemesis Blake and Berdych on the american hardcourt season, but then there is Djokovic who has Nadals numbers on hardcourt, Nalbandian who is a bad matchup and Federer who still might be the better player on hardcourt, specialy indoors.

To win a hardcourt slam, he would need to beat some great players in the later rounds of the slam where his body probably will be really tired.

Zolka
07-02-2008, 10:47 PM
It's hard to tell, i mean what is talent? I used to think Nadal is not extremely talented, and i always believed that his physical tools made him the player he is now... But if u think about it, he has a topsin like noone ever possessed, and his movement is something you can't teach, or you can, but if you don't have that something in you (talent), you'll never move like this.

Still, from a pure talent standpoint, i think you have to go with Roger, but Nadal is a very talented player too, no question about it, and the way he plays now is really extraordinary, and i can see why you got that impression. The guy is scary good right now.

As for the age comparison, just like you said, Rafa peaked earlier, so it doesn't really means that much, his ceiling is obviously very, very high,, I personally don't think he will threaten Sampras' record, and i can't see him winning 2-3 slams/year consistently, but i think he will be considered as one of the greatest of all-time, and arguably the best clay court player who ever played the game.

Manon
07-02-2008, 11:07 PM
His true potential is huge. But, with his current way of playing tempo he will become ruin-muscle-40-years-old-man (in his 25-26).

MacTheKnife
07-02-2008, 11:07 PM
^^ I would agree with the above post. I think Nadal obviously has a ton of talent and potential. BUT, he's still got to get this hard court thing going. Borg is considered one of the greatest of all time and he never won a USO or AO. I think that will be the key to Nadal's place in history is how well he performs on the HCs down the road. The beating he delivers to his body will be a problems in 2 or 3 years if he keeps this up and doesn't manage his hard court schedule very carefully.

Chrisilson
07-02-2008, 11:19 PM
His true potential is huge. But, with his current way of playing tempo he will become ruin-muscle-40-years-old-man (in his 25-26).

Its very true, I mean can anyone really imagine Rafa slogging away on the tennis court in his late 20's? Over the next few years Nadal has the potential to be absolutely brilliant but unlike Sampras, and possibly Federer, the fundamental skill won't be there when the power and explosion has gone. I'm sure his game will evolve somewhat but I can't forsee him dominating the next 10 years with the amount of stress he puts on his body.

FedFan_2007
07-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Nadal has a 8-12 slam window where he will be the favorite(French Open) or near Favorite(AO/Wimby/USO). If he cleans up then he could have 11 slams and retire nicely as the GOAT.

twisturhead
07-02-2008, 11:39 PM
nadal's potential is mostly fulfilled. he has already improved so many areas of his game

marcRD
07-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Not until the improvement comes to a halt we will see if his potental is fulfilled. He can still further improve his serve and who knows if that backhand cant get even better which is scary to think.

Bernard Black
07-02-2008, 11:46 PM
In my opinion Nadal is one of the most talented players of all time.

He has just turned 22 and he has 4 GS titles and has a great chance of winning wimbledon to make it 5. Federer when he was the exact same age only just won his first GS title. So he is far superior now that fed was when he was the same age. (Obviously I know players peak at different times but nadal clearly has not peaked as we have seen the great improvemen from him in the past year.)

Time will tell if I am correct but looking at Nadal's game, I have never seen such great shots and variety from anyone ever who is aged so young.

As soon as I saw Nadal and variety in the same sentence, I knew not to take your post seriously.

DDrago2
07-02-2008, 11:48 PM
nadal's potential is mostly fulfilled. he has already improved so many areas of his game

No players potential is ever fulfilled until he retires from the game! You can only talk about a stage when someones game reached maturity... time will tell for Nadal

CyBorg
07-02-2008, 11:49 PM
12 RG titles
4 Wimbledons
1 US Open title
3 Australians
------------------

20 Grand slam titles

/tard

Chrisilson
07-02-2008, 11:56 PM
12 RG titles
4 Wimbledons
1 US Open title
3 Australians
------------------

20 Grand slam titles

/tard

There is no way he'll win 8 more RG titles. With the current crop of players he is easily the best clay-courter but I forsee a few Spaniards and South Americans in his mould breaking through.

Expecting him to win RG when he is 30 is unfair. His body will be dead by then.

JediFed
07-03-2008, 12:19 AM
This is Nadal, not even Borg won the first time he entered. Rafa should get number 13 when he wins RG in 2017. :D

FedFan_2007
07-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Nadal will win 25 slams at least.

zero060891
07-03-2008, 02:17 AM
If Nadal can win a US Open and an Australian Open, he will be considered one of the best. If not, nothing's important here. Nadal may use a lot of energy but he also bring the fun into the game. I love watching him play, despite he plays defensively, but his game is full of great rallies and emotions

NadalSharapova
07-03-2008, 07:25 PM
There is no way he'll win 8 more RG titles. With the current crop of players he is easily the best clay-courter but I forsee a few Spaniards and South Americans in his mould breaking through.

Expecting him to win RG when he is 30 is unfair. His body will be dead by then.

Surely he can play till he is 28. That means another 6 french open titles