help picking string and tension [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

help picking string and tension

dunlopkickserve
06-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Hey i just switched from the dunlop aerogel 300 (low-med. power) to the aerogel 500 tour (med. power) in order to get more spin and an extra .2 ounces on the racket. I strung it @ 60 lbs Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power. My strokes are deeper, but they have a tendency to float long and it feels like my shots have LOST some pace. My serve gets more spin because of the string pattern (16x18) but it feels like it lost some pop. I get more than enough spin on the ball already so I'm not really looking for a spin string. I get it strung @ a club so I don't really have that many options:

Gamma Zo Tour
Gamma Asterik 16
Gamma Asterik 16 Spin
Prince synthetic Gut
& maybe a few HEAD strings

Which one is best, and at which tension should i string it at (my normal is 60 for Zo tour and 59 for Asterik 16)

Oh yea, if you wanna include your ability level/status it would be helpful........

jazar
06-27-2008, 08:23 PM
instead of switching rackets to a racket with one less cross string, you could have simply added a couple of grams of lead tape to the top of the head of the racket

dunlopkickserve
06-28-2008, 01:23 AM
instead of switching rackets to a racket with one less cross string, you could have simply added a couple of grams of lead tape to the top of the head of the racket

Also needed the extra 2sq in. of realestate for netplay*, and its7 pts stiffer than my Aerogel 300*

gaz
06-28-2008, 01:53 AM
if i was you i would go for the prince synthetic gut as it is a good run of the mill string

i would a babolat string cos i think theyhave the best strings to be honest and a very good range

but from the sound of it i want a string that is not that stiff and prob single wrap if that makes sense

as you wanted ti know my standard etc
i am a performance coach in the uk and have the ukrsa pro qualification and have strung at top pro events in the uk

jazar
06-28-2008, 06:45 AM
Also needed the extra 2sq in. of realestate for netplay*, and its7 pts stiffer than my Aerogel 300*

rackets with smaller headsizes are better for volleying

dunlopkickserve
06-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Just wanted to give an update: After about 4 hrs. of hitting, I have gotten used to the racket, and broken the strings in. My groundstrokes are better than before, and my serve is almost back to the level it was before. I guess the AG500 Tour just took some getting used to.