Wimbledon R1: Ferrero def. Querrey 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimbledon R1: Ferrero def. Querrey 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4

osalsyst
06-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Golden opportunity missed for Sam here. Really thought he would take this one.

selyoink
06-23-2008, 01:37 PM
JCF is a little rusty but still many classes above Querrey on grass.

Andre♥
06-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Expected.

Ferrero warmed-up in the first set and then defeated Querrey.

8-0 in Wimbledon 1st round matches for Ferrero now.

JMG
06-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Expected win by F€rr€ro. :yeah:

leng jai
06-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Nice win Ferrero.

Ferrero Forever
06-23-2008, 01:39 PM
YES!!! First set was a bit of a worry, but it was all smooth sailing from there:) Even better because it doesn't seem as if his injury was worrying him, and thats the main thing.

Fisico
06-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Keep it up JC.

Bilbo
06-23-2008, 01:42 PM
expected one

Haute
06-23-2008, 01:46 PM
You are all oh so original with 'expected' one-liners. Your extensive vocabulary is impressive.

Becker's Volleys
06-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Nice win for JCF. I thought Querrey might take a set and it happened to be the opener. Ferrero wasn't at his best but still played reasonably well. Querrey isn't nearly seasoned enough on the surface yet to have been considered a real threat in this one and so it proved.

Watch his progress over the next couple of years, though he could turn into a fine grasscourter as he has some big weapons. One for the future maybe?

FiBeR
06-23-2008, 01:48 PM
querrey, you useless piece of mug :p

:(

DhammaTiger
06-23-2008, 01:49 PM
YES!!! First set was a bit of a worry, but it was all smooth sailing from there:) Even better because it doesn't seem as if his injury was worrying him, and thats the main thing.

:hug: :hug:

Manon
06-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Nice one Ferrero. Thx for cash.

savesthedizzle
06-23-2008, 01:56 PM
JCF :yeah:

I think the first set he was kind of just testing out the leg, seeing how much movement he could have and then the next three sets was more comfortable with his leg and therefore had no real problems with Querrey :)

Well done :D :dance:

groundstroke
06-23-2008, 02:00 PM
JCF will always be a few levels above players like Querrey. He's got a great grass game, funnily enough.. Took a set off Feerer last year, 6-3, right?

Puschkin
06-23-2008, 02:03 PM
I was very unsure about that one, with JCF's injury and Querrey being able to serve well on a given day. Great that JCF came through.

yarina
06-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Somebody please tell Sue Barker Sam Q. is American, because she keeps calling him an Aussie....

Becker's Volleys
06-23-2008, 02:07 PM
He's got a great grass game, funnily enough.. Took a set off Feerer last year, 6-3, right?

Yep.

groundstroke
06-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Somebody please tell Sue Barker Sam Q. is American, because she keeps calling him an Aussie....
Sue Barker is an awful commentator, what did you expect?

Rumour
06-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Nice win for JCF :D

He may have been favoured on paper but the outcome was not assured given the recent injury and a capable opponent. Even so, hearing the ESPN crew practically hand Querrey the win not even halfway through the first set was a rude reminder of how much I have (not) missed their 'well informed' opinions since the AO :rolleyes:

Ferrero Forever
06-23-2008, 02:43 PM

He may have been favoured on paper but the outcome was not assured given the recent injury and a capable opponent. Even so, hearing the ESPN crew practically hand Querrey the win not even halfway through the first set was a rude reminder of how much I have (not) missed their 'well informed' opinions since the AO :rolleyes:

You'd think since they're meant to be 'professional' they wouldn't do such a thing. But I must admit after the first set I was saying to myself 'omg he's gonna lose' and then after the second set 'yay he's gonna win' and then when he loses another point 'no hes' gonna lose again', but thats just me being my crazy self.

groundstroke
06-23-2008, 02:44 PM

What did the ESPN commentators say towards the end? I have BBC, ESPN is awful.

Henry Chinaski
06-23-2008, 02:56 PM
grass is his best surface these days.

Purple Rainbow
06-23-2008, 03:14 PM
You are all oh so original with 'expected' one-liners. Your extensive vocabulary is impressive.

Expected post.

PiggyGotRoasted
06-23-2008, 03:19 PM
^^ Expected

PiggyGotRoasted
06-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Expected post.

Expected :worship:

Rumour
06-23-2008, 03:29 PM
You'd think since they're meant to be 'professional' they wouldn't do such a thing. But I must admit after the first set I was saying to myself 'omg he's gonna lose' and then after the second set 'yay he's gonna win' and then when he loses another point 'no hes' gonna lose again', but thats just me being my crazy self.
Well that's a natural fan reaction, plus he obviously didn't start the match well being broken so early :hug: But the ESPN commentators, especially Brad Gilbert (who's back in the booth, at least temporarily, from LTA coaching duty), had totally written Ferrero off even before the American wrapped up the first set. Early on it was comments (phrased to the best of my memory) like "This is a match Querrey needs to win" and "Ferrero's top 20 days are behind him," constantly bringing up the Spaniard's injury and how it was supposedly affecting his movement, making it sound like a retirement was imminent. They tossed in the odd insignificant JCF fact - like him getting to the quarters last year - as an afterthought, while dwelling on matters of consequence like Querrey finally buying a house and decorating it, thereby showing his increased maturity :tape:

What did the ESPN commentators say towards the end? I have BBC, ESPN is awful.
They only covered the first set in full but, on the few occasions they popped back in on the match to update the score, it was all Querrey's fault :o He wasn't 'taking opportunities' that JCF was 'giving' him to go for shots, was 'staying too far back' and 'playing like a clay courter' according to the great Gilbert.

Henry Chinaski
06-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Shouldn't Gilbert have been with Bogdanovic today trying to justify the $35,000 or so he gets from the LTA every week?

NinaNina19
06-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Shouldn't Gilbert have been with Bogdanovic today trying to justify the $35,000 or so he gets from the LTA every week?
Bogdanovic doesn't need coaching, he can do it all by himself.

ReturnWinner
06-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Very good win for Ferrero, facing Querrey in a first round is not fun at least it is on clay.

*bunny*
06-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Very glad JC won! :bow:
Was watching the score at work (lol) but even after he lost the first set I believed he would win in four sets!! :rocker2: Only worry was his injury, but if his leg is OK, then he is capable of reaching the second week again I think.

Good luck against Zverev! Another big serve who is more comfortable on grass than Querrey. Hope JC can display his grass court mastery again!

Raquel
06-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Well done JC! :D :woohoo:

jcempire
06-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Golden opportunity missed for Sam here. Really thought he would take this one.

Golden opportunity Golden opportunity Golden opportunity

He miss a lot of them.....

I can't believe it

Tnn74
06-24-2008, 12:21 AM
:woohoo: way to go JC! :hug:
Now please shave :awww:

Jimnik
06-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Crucial performance for JCF to see if his game is back in working order. I hope he wasn't playing in too much pain. He might not have held up another set, he nearly choked serving at 5-4 in the 4th. The grass courts are just what he needs right now to cope with the injury and it was good to see him volleying a lot and keeping the points short.

5th year in a row JCF has gone further at Wimby than RG.

HeretiC
06-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Expected. After Monte Carlo Sam realized that he likes to play only on clay and now he is not interested in other surfaces at all.;)

Ferrero Forever
06-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Crucial performance for JCF to see if his game is back in working order. I hope he wasn't playing in too much pain. He might not have held up another set, he nearly choked serving at 5-4 in the 4th. The grass courts are just what he needs right now to cope with the injury and it was good to see him volleying a lot and keeping the points short.

5th year in a row JCF has gone further at Wimby than RG.

Geez 5 years, I didn't realise it was that long.Long live the king of Grass (move over Roger;))

zicofirol
06-24-2008, 11:35 AM
JCF loses in the 2nd round to zverev ...