They are killing tradition [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

They are killing tradition

gusman890
06-23-2008, 12:11 PM
I just noticed when Federer was warming up serves that they removed the scoreboard from Center Court and replaced it with a screen that displays challenges as well as an image that looks identical to the scoreboard itself.

I know it is really not a big deal in terms of tennis. But that scoreboard has been on that court for as long as I can remember dating back to the 70's and beyond.

Why couldn't they have another screen for the challenges and leave it be?

NinaNina19
06-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Wimbledon will never be the same now.

leng jai
06-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Wimbledon should be downgraded to mickey mouse status.

gaz
06-23-2008, 12:24 PM
wait a second i am sure they have not had an electronic scoreboard for more years than they have the new scoreboard is sympathetic!!!

rocketassist
06-23-2008, 12:35 PM
I like the new scoreboard.

W!MBLEDON
06-23-2008, 01:03 PM
cry a river

some of these so-called 'traditions' need to be thrown out the fucking window

Eviscerator
06-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Wimbledon will never be the same now.

It has not been "the same" for some time now. Slowing down the game with different grass, a different subsurface that allows the balls to bounce higher, and other similar measures have bastardized it.

cool bird1
06-23-2008, 01:27 PM
well well well

LinkMage
06-23-2008, 01:37 PM
I noticed that too. The old scoreboard was one of the emblems of Wimbledon. I don't like the new one, it looks like crap.

DhammaTiger
06-23-2008, 01:42 PM
"Traditions of all dead generations weigh like a nightmare on the brain of the living"-K.Marx

Bazooka
06-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Another excuse for tards when Nadal wins the title: shouldn't count as a true Wimbledon title because the scoreboard was changed. :)

I kind of liked it, but understand that mantaining a very old thing like that, with probably no more replacement parts, etc. was expensive and pointless.

Also, think that if all traditions were kept forever, we would not be watching tennis, but burning people alive, or eating raw meat. Things change.

MariaV
06-23-2008, 02:09 PM
I like the new scoreboard.

I like it too.
You cannot stop the progress anyway. :shrug:

Foxy
06-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I like the new one as well.
So, what will you say after they install the roof next year?!

scoobs
06-23-2008, 02:15 PM
I like them - they needed an overhaul and in normal scoreboard mode they look very similar to the old ones, but now they're more useful because they can display the challenge replays and other video footage.

they'll seem like part of the furniture in no time.

gvhvhg
06-23-2008, 02:43 PM
the old scorebaord was classic

I am depressed

Monteque
06-23-2008, 02:46 PM
They want make the Wimbledon more "modern".
I think it's better now let alone the tradition came just from 1970s, right....not from the beginning of the tournament history. So it's a good thing....imo

DDrago2
06-23-2008, 03:52 PM
I thought this thread will be about new surface. I also noticed the new scoreboard you speak off and I think it is an upgraded version of the old one, they completely retained the Wimbledon look & style only it's neater (and I suppose much more practical), so thumbs up from me

It has not been "the same" for some time now. Slowing down the game with different grass, a different subsurface that allows the balls to bounce higher, and other similar measures have bastardized it.

This is what realy is killing tradition. Wimbledon used to be extreme conditions tournament, now it's another average one

ReturnWinner
06-23-2008, 03:57 PM
nice, the progress is always a good thing.

MrExcel
06-23-2008, 04:09 PM
They needed to really. Last year they had separate screens for the Hawkeye system which they put at the top of the court due to there being no roof. This year with the roof back on they don't really have anywhere else to put the screens. As much as I like the tradition and the old scoreboards this is probably the best option. At least they've kept the classic look on the display.

fast_clay
06-23-2008, 04:45 PM
some traditions need a right good proper skull ****ing...

jtipson
06-23-2008, 09:22 PM
I just noticed when Federer was warming up serves that they removed the scoreboard from Center Court and replaced it with a screen that displays challenges as well as an image that looks identical to the scoreboard itself.

I know it is really not a big deal in terms of tennis. But that scoreboard has been on that court for as long as I can remember dating back to the 70's and beyond.

Why couldn't they have another screen for the challenges and leave it be?

The scoreboard on Centre has been upgraded lots of times since the 70s! Just look at one of Borg's matches for instance - you can hardly see the scores. Very different from recent incarnations of the scoreboard.

This year's is just one more of those upgrades. IMO for the spectators (and I was on Centre today) it's much better than last year's combo of separate screen and scoreboard. Wimbledon is moving in the right direction.

DDrago2
06-23-2008, 09:31 PM
The scoreboard on Centre has been upgraded lots of times since the 70s! Just look at one of Borg's matches for instance - you can hardly see the scores. Very different from recent incarnations of the scoreboard.

This year's is just one more of those upgrades. IMO for the spectators (and I was on Centre today) it's much better than last year's combo of separate screen and scoreboard. Wimbledon is moving in the right direction when the scoreboard is concerned.

I had to correct your typo

Corey Feldman
06-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I thought the same! i always liked those old scoreboards

Wimbledano

these Spaniards are taking over

notice the new court 2 being built?

its like a bull ring

now we know what they will use that court for from Jul-May every year

@Sweet Cleopatra
06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
it looks different but not bad ...

scoobs
06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
I thought the same! i always liked those old scoreboards

Wimbledano

these Spaniards are taking over

notice the new court 2 being built?

its like a bull ring

now we know what they will use that court for from Jul-May every year
I like the look of the new court 2 - reminiscent of the bullring at Roland Garros - I really enjoy seeing the tennis on that court.

BigJohn
06-23-2008, 09:47 PM
When it comes to Wimbledon I feel the less change the better. But with the challenge screen, what they did is actually not bad, combining the two and keeping the old look for the scoreboard.

Nicely done.

Duncan
06-23-2008, 09:52 PM
the new scoreboard is awesome.

ChinoRios4Ever
06-23-2008, 11:16 PM
the old scoreboard rules mate

but the new one is great too :yeah:

Peoples
06-23-2008, 11:34 PM
the old scorebaord was classic

I am depressed

I think you should stop watching Wimbledon if that makes you depressed. Maybe even stop watching tennis altogether.

Rafa = Fed Killa
06-24-2008, 02:49 AM
nice, the progress is always a good thing.

Evolution is a good thing.

gusman890
06-24-2008, 02:52 AM
Another excuse for tards when Nadal wins the title: shouldn't count as a true Wimbledon title because the scoreboard was changed. :)

I kind of liked it, but understand that mantaining a very old thing like that, with probably no more replacement parts, etc. was expensive and pointless.

Also, think that if all traditions were kept forever, we would not be watching tennis, but burning people alive, or eating raw meat. Things change.

too bad im not a Rafa Tard ;)