Tennis Idols [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis Idols

peterparker
06-21-2008, 07:17 PM
It was always interesting to me that while sampras, mcenroe etc. always speak of their tennis idols, people they modeled their games after, Nadal never mentions any of that stuff. Looks like that's because nadal doesn't have any tennis idols!

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/08/06/21/WIMBLEDON_Men_Nightlead.html

Rafa = Fed Killa
06-21-2008, 08:34 PM
It was always interesting to me that while sampras, mcenroe etc. always speak of their tennis idols, people they modeled their games after, Nadal never mentions any of that stuff. Looks like that's because nadal doesn't have any tennis idols!

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/08/06/21/WIMBLEDON_Men_Nightlead.html

Real men dont need an idol.

They are their own heroes.

KitinovRules
06-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Nadal's idol is Ona Zee.
That much explains the ticklings before service in the lowest part of his back :)

DhammaTiger
06-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Rafa is my idol:) Rafa is the best! Vamos Rafa!

Ilovetheblues_86
06-21-2008, 09:23 PM

Jean René Lisnard??? :worship::devil:

~*BGT*~
06-21-2008, 10:59 PM

“Only Tiger can do something like this,” Nadal said. “Tiger is probably my idol.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AhK6cJO0pYWRtNqRjaUSeaU4v7YF?slug=ap-wimbledon-notebook&prov=ap&type=lgns

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

peterparker
06-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Rafa is my idol:) Rafa is the best! Vamos Rafa!

No kidding. :)

peterparker
06-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Nadal's idol is Ona Zee.
That much explains the ticklings before service in the lowest part of his back :)

Looks to be very talented this ona zee. :)

MacTheKnife
06-22-2008, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=~*BGT*~;7224342]“Only Tiger can do something like this,” Nadal said. “Tiger is probably my idol.”

Tiger has never won anything on clay..

MacTheKnife
06-22-2008, 01:20 PM
“Only Tiger can do something like this,” Nadal said. “Tiger is probably my idol.”

Tiger has never won anything on clay !!!

KitinovRules
06-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Looks to be very talented this ona zee. :)
Oh yes, she is very, very talented.
She has some incredible action in her movies. Very good body positioning, before and during the action :):):)

Black Adam
06-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Roddick's idol is Agassi. He didn't model his game on Andre's. IMO an idol is just a person you fanboy.

Okonsky
06-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Roddick's idol is Agassi. He didn't model his game on Andre's. IMO an idol is just a person you fanboy.

Yes, the same is about Novak and Sampras. Nothing similar just Sampras was person he fanboy.

Black Adam
06-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Whilst we are still talking about tennis idols, why isn't the great Federer someone's role model. I mean upcoming players are modeling their games after the likes of Nadal, Roddick or Djokovic but why isn't there another Federer in the making out there? Like R=FK would say: no self respecting man would be inspired by the fluke wins of a pansy who decided to try out his luck at tennis when he should have been a ballerina.

tennizen
06-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Whilst we are still talking about tennis idols, why isn't the great Federer someone's role model. I mean upcoming players are modeling their games after the likes of Nadal, Roddick or Djokovic but why isn't there another Federer in the making out there? Like R=FK would say: no self respecting man would be inspired by the fluke wins of a pansy who decided to try out his luck at tennis when he should have been a ballerina.

:haha: It's because they don't have the talent to model their game after Federer

Okonsky
06-22-2008, 05:40 PM

Adam, bananas in your sig don't dance all of a sudden. Is it my FF or something else:)?

Black Adam
06-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Talent???Federer is overrated in the talent department. Safin and Nalbandian have more talent than Federer; it's just that Federer has the grace of a ballerina so to the blind eyes he appears to be out of this world. He is also got more consistency than the previous headcases I mentioned.

Anyways the point is, it's not about talent, but the guys who are interested in playing tennis don't have the ballerina abilities of Fed hence why they lean towards the games of other players or in some cases make their own styles. If Fed was a more traditional athlete (like Nole or Hewitt) and not the ballerina-athlete he is; there would be more federers showing up and he would also be more appreciated by people who appreciate manliness.

DDrago2

More easy to imitate = more directly influental. Fed is maybe impossible to directly imitate yet his game had a great impact. Also being an "idol" often has more to do with having "charisma", "attitude", "personality" rather than being a good player

Black Adam
Adam, bananas in your sig don't dance all of a sudden. Is it my FF or something else:)?
They also froze on my screen. It must be the server of this forum that's slowing down.

Black Adam
06-22-2008, 05:58 PM
More easy to imitate = more directly influental. Fed is maybe impossible to directly imitate yet his game had a great impact. Also being an "idol" often has more to do with having "charisma", "attitude", "personality" rather than being a good player
I think we have established that having a tennis idol has nothing to do with said player copying the idol's game
e.g. Roddick's idol is Agassi; Nole idol is Sampras; none of these players copied thier idols games. To a small degree Roddick might have some behavior traits of the younger Agassi but that's all. WE can safely assume that when someone says a person was their idol it just means they fanboyed him.

Now I was talking about ROLE MODELS.
Roddick has been the role model for many young players who try to achieve what he did by serving big and blasting a huge forehand. If you look at the games of the younger players you can easily see who their role model is.
Baseline counter punchers were probably influenced by the successes of Hewitt, Agassi and recently Nadal.

I have yet to see one player who has used Federer as his role model. I am not being a WUM, simply curious.

DDrago2
06-22-2008, 06:09 PM
I think we have established that having a tennis idol has nothing to do with said player copying the idol's game
e.g. Roddick's idol is Agassi; Nole idol is Sampras; none of these players copied thier idols games. To a small degree Roddick might have some behavior traits of the younger Agassi but that's all. WE can safely assume that when someone says a person was their idol it just means they fanboyed him.

Now I was talking about ROLE MODELS.
Roddick has been the role model for many young players who try to achieve what he did by serving big and blasting a huge forehand. If you look at the games of the younger players you can easily see who their role model is.
Baseline counter punchers were probably influenced by the successes of Hewitt, Agassi and recently Nadal.

I have yet to see one player who has used Federer as his role model. I am not being a WUM, simply curious.

It's not a big deal, come down. Federer's game was very influental but not on such outright way as you would want it

DDrago2
06-22-2008, 06:23 PM
If Fed was a more traditional athlete (like Nole or Hewitt) and not the ballerina-athlete he is; there would be more federers showing up and he would also be more appreciated by people who appreciate manliness.

I am realy starting to get tired of Fed being called a balerina. It was kind of funny on the beggining but people seem to start taking it seriously.

'Balerina' suggests that Fed makes unecesary movements to make him artificialy appear more elegant - like kitch artist who make ornaments and flashy colors to hide the lack of content.
But Federer is cotrary to this. His style has genuine elegance coming from lack of unnecesary movements, from great balance and coordination. I once looked Federer's backhand on super-slow motion - you could admire how his whole body is completely still, apart from those parts which are neccesary to execute the shot. Federer's style is - minimum movement, maximum effect, and not "balerina" style. That's why I sometimes call him "techno player" and why his game looks so effortless and elegant.Federer is classicism mate, not kitch.

By the way, Hewitt is a good player also and I don't dislike Nole neither, although he bores me somewhat

MacTheKnife
06-22-2008, 06:25 PM
I haven't seen a recent poll of the top players as to who their idols are. Plus, idols are usually several years older than those idolizing them. Don't think for a second that Fed doesn't have younger players idolizing him, they're just not on the seen yet, most of them are probably still in Jrs.

A couple of players now that seem to be modeling their games after Fed (at least as much as possible) are Gulbis & Wawrinka. They both seem to play similar style as Roger, but as so many have already stated, his natural talent is extremely difficult to imitate.

Black Adam
06-22-2008, 06:30 PM
I am realy starting to get tired of Fed being called a balerina. It was kind of funny on the beggining but people seem to start taking it seriously.

'Balerina' suggests that Fed makes unecesary movements to make him artificialy appear more elegant - like kitch artist who make ornaments and flashy colors to hide the lack of content.
But Federer is cotrary to this. His style has genuine elegance coming from lack of sufficient movements, from great balance and coordination. I once looked Federer's backhand on super-slow motion - you could admire how his whole body is completely still, apart from those parts which are neccesary to execute the shot. Federer's style is - minimum movement, maximum effect, and not "balerina" style. That's why I sometimes call him "techno player" and why his game looks so effortless and elegant.Federer is classicism mate, not kitch.

By the way, Hewitt is a good player also and I don't dislike Nole neither, although he bores me somewhat
:bigclap::bigclap: You can actually see the truth but why do you ignore it and pretend it's not true. I am telling you, it's that Ballerina grace that fools people into believing he is out of this world. I didn't say he wasn't talented but that ballerina grace added to the rest of his arsenal which includes: great footwork and the ability to hit most of the tennis shots that exist ( he still can't do Roddick between the legs shot ;) ) contribute to people blowing out of proportion his tennis abilities.

Monteque
06-22-2008, 06:35 PM
federer=the biggest tennis talent ever.
GOO ROGER

ExpectedWinner
06-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Talent??? it's just that Federer has the grace of a ballerina so to the blind eyes he appears to be out of this world. .

What are talking about? In any sport where the movement is an essential part, having light feet is a great, athletic gift :shrug: Only in the Global Masturbatorium (GM) easy, effortless movement is linked to ballet.

Rafa = Fed Killa
06-22-2008, 06:49 PM

:worship:

You state the truth.

MacTheKnife
06-22-2008, 06:52 PM
What are talking about? In any sport where the movement is an essential part, having light feet is a great, athletic gift :shrug: Only in the Global Masturbatorium (GM) easy, effortless movement is linked to ballet.

First of all he is obviously biased on the subject, (note signature) and has his mind made up that Fed is a ballerina. I would not waste time typing comments to change or alter his opinion. It's just not worth it, and he is certainly entitled to his opinion.
Roger's style of movement is very graceful and basically makes speed, and change of direction seem somewhat easy. We all know that it's not, but the way he plays, it appears that he is exerting very little effort in physical exertion, while obtaining fantastic results.
Add to that, predominately natural strokes with a tiger like will to focus and win, and you rack up 12 slams in a relatively short period of time.

Now you can wast your time chewing up my comments if you want to, but I won't see the reply since I won't be back to this thread. This is a ridiculous subject to even be discussing.

peterparker
06-22-2008, 07:06 PM

whoa there soldier! Sampras modelled his all-court game and behavior after the old school australians (laver, hoad, etc.). It would not be incorrect to say that he idolized laver.

Ryan Harrison says that he wants to be a federer type player.

You can define talent in whatever narrow definition you want (you seem to like clean ball striker off both sides, although even safin's forehand doesn't fit this category) and switch ordering of players, but federer as a whole (forehand, athleticism, serve, hands) is more talented than nalbandian and safin.

Have you seen the footage of a 40 year old laver against borg on you tube? You should check it out, Laver looks like he was even more of a ballerina than federer.

Okonsky
06-22-2008, 07:46 PM
A couple of players now that seem to be modeling their games after Fed (at least as much as possible) are Gulbis & Wawrinka. They both seem to play similar style as Roger, but as so many have already stated, his natural talent is extremely difficult to imitate.

I'd like to talk about role model instead of idol. Wawa is/seems great guy, modest, etc...but he is on the other side of these things what I'm considering role model. It's not about a game only or personality only. Whole picture of nice guy Wawrinka is the oposite of role model. Unconsistent can't be role model. As person I don't know but I have doubts that any young boy want 'to be' Wawa.

On the other hand I can't tell Gulbis has a similar (tennis game) style as Roger. He has got those things needed for being role model (he is too young for that though).

Monteque
06-22-2008, 08:08 PM
First of all he is obviously biased on the subject, (note signature) and has his mind made up that Fed is a ballerina. I would not waste time typing comments to change or alter his opinion. It's just not worth it, and he is certainly entitled to his opinion.
Roger's style of movement is very graceful and basically makes speed, and change of direction seem somewhat easy. We all know that it's not, but the way he plays, it appears that he is exerting very little effort in physical exertion, while obtaining fantastic results.
Add to that, predominately natural strokes with a tiger like will to focus and win, and you rack up 12 slams in a relatively short period of time.

Now you can wast your time chewing up my comments if you want to, but I won't see the reply since I won't be back to this thread. This is a ridiculous subject to even be discussing.

;)