No more green clay (Har Tru) at Wimbledon? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

No more green clay (Har Tru) at Wimbledon?

kobulingam
06-20-2008, 11:00 PM
I know it seemed to be getting slower every year for the last couple
years, but according to Murray they are faster this year than last.....

Murray ready for Wimbledon test
============================

Murray pulled out of the Artois Championship to rest his injury
British number one Andy Murray says he is in good shape for Wimbledon
after recovering from his thumb injury.

Murray, 21, had spent the last few days on the practice courts at SW19
fine-tuning his preparations for the tournament, which starts on
Monday.

The Scot said: "The courts are a little bit faster than previous
years, which is good."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7464975.stm

GlennMirnyi
06-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Murray didn't play last year. :)

nkhera1
06-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Don't they always player faster in the beginning and start to slow down from the wear? Though I guess Murray doesn't experience too much tennis in the later parts of Wimbledon.

Chris Seahorse
06-20-2008, 11:19 PM
I was at Roehampton for the Wimbledon qualies and I have to say the Roehampton courts were the fastest I have seen them for quite a few years. Whether the Wimbledon courts will also be faster is another matter. I will wait and see.

kobulingam
06-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Murray practiced at Wimbledon last year, just like he is doing right now. He is comparing the pretournament speeds.

TankingTheSet
06-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Interesting observations, I wonder what's the causing the increased speed, weather or a maybe as the result of a conscious decision by the tournament/groundstaff to make the courts faster this year after a lot of publicity about how slow they were last year.

EnriqueIG8
06-21-2008, 01:52 AM
Much better for Fedmeister.

Il Primo Uomo
06-21-2008, 02:24 AM
Don't they always player faster in the beginning and start to slow down from the wear? Though I guess Murray doesn't experience too much tennis in the later parts of Wimbledon.

Your post doesn't even make sense :lol:

Good to know BTW :)

MrChopin
06-21-2008, 05:28 AM
I won't believe it until I see Fed holding the trophy. If Nadal makes it to the final, Murray is a liar and a miserable git.

Nadal_Fanatic
06-21-2008, 05:35 AM
I won't believe it until I see Fed holding the trophy. If Nadal makes it to the final, Murray is a liar and a miserable git.
Yeah since it all depends on how Nadal does whether the court is fast or not. :rolleyes: Nadal's serve has looked really good on grass and that would be tougher to handle the quicker the courts are.

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 05:37 AM
It will still be slow, favoring moonballer/grinders/pushers.

Nadal_Fanatic
06-21-2008, 05:39 AM
It will still be slow, favoring moonballer/grinders/pushers.
Nadal is the only clay courter that goes far at Wimbledon. Where is Ferrer, Andreev, Davydenko, Monfils, Almagro, and etc? I guess your hate for Nadal blinds you though.

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 05:45 AM
Nadal is the only clay courter that goes far at Wimbledon. Where is Ferrer, Davydenko, Monfils, Almagro, and etc? I guess your hate for Nadal blinds you though.

That's because he's lucky. Ferrer has made the second week already, no big deal. Davydenko too. Monfils is a mug anyway you look at him, so is Almugro.

sawan66278
06-21-2008, 06:34 AM
That's because he's lucky. Ferrer has made the second week already, no big deal. Davydenko too. Monfils is a mug anyway you look at him, so is Almugro.

Curious? Agassi won from the baseline. What was he?

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 06:39 AM

Agassi got lucky. So lucky he never pulled the trick again. And he was an attacking baseliner, not a moonballer.

Greenday
06-21-2008, 06:44 AM

Agassi is baseliner agreed....but he is not a nadal kinda baseliner....he attacks on both the wings......the reason why he had so much success on hardcourts and aus open for example.......nadal is not an attacking player from the baseline...

prima donna
06-21-2008, 06:50 AM
While I haven't the liberty of putting words into other's mouths, I have a feeling that what has lots of people in an uproar is the fact that the most prestigious tournament in all of tennis could be won by a player that simply does not embrace the traditional ways of tennis.

At the risk of coming off as a bit of a purist, I'm going to bluntly state that Djokovic and Nadal do not play proper tennis, even the likes of Bill Tilden (a baseliner of the traditional kind) would have to agree with this sentiment. It's just not the way tennis was intended to be played.

Djokovic is far too robotic and Nadal's game is barbaric, if you don't believe me then read The Art of Lawn Tennis written by Bill Tilden and cite me a passage where it specifically states that loopy strokes being played from the baseline thus completely robbing the sport of any creativity and elegance which are to be a recipe for winning a tennis match -- since back during those days grass was the primary surface, therefore making it even more unfathomable to imagine Nadal or Djokovic winning any type of a tennis match without receiving a boost from modern technology.

I'm disgusted by the lack of aesthetic pleasure. Get the hell out of London, go play that nonsense elsewhere.

As stated in other threads, I respect what Nadal is doing, but I just feel that it would be awful if he were to ever hoist the Wimbledon trophy. His game has substantially improved, but the boy should not be mentioned with the likes of Tilden, Laver, Sampras and Federer on grass.

rafa_maniac
06-21-2008, 06:59 AM
While I haven't the liberty of putting words into other's mouths, I have a feeling that what has lots of people in an uproar is the fact that the most prestigious tournament in all of tennis could be won by a player that simply does not embrace the traditional ways of tennis.

At the risk of coming off as a bit of a purist, I'm going to bluntly state that Djokovic and Nadal do not play proper tennis, even the likes of Bill Tilden (a baseliner of the traditional kind) would have to agree with this sentiment. It's just not the way tennis was intended to be played.

Djokovic is far too robotic and Nadal's game is barbaric, if you don't believe me then read The Art of Lawn Tennis written by Bill Tilden and cite me a passage where it specifically states that loopy strokes being played from the baseline thus completely robbing the sport of any creativity and elegance which are to be a recipe for winning a tennis match -- since back during those days grass was the primary surface, therefore making it even more unfathomable to imagine Nadal or Djokovic winning any type of a tennis match without receiving a boost from modern technology.

I'm disgusted by the lack of aesthetic pleasure. Get the hell out of London, go play that nonsense elsewhere.

As stated in other threads, I respect what Nadal is doing, but I just feel that it would be awful if he were to ever hoist the Wimbledon trophy. His game has substantially improved, but the boy should not be mentioned with the likes of Tilden, Laver, Sampras and Federer on grass.

:haha:

prima donna
06-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Are you going to offer some form of a rebuttal or just laugh ?

Tennis was much better before it grew in popularity, thus attracting these type of fans that most likely have no idea that wooden rackets were once used.

Where do you people come from ?

Nadal_Fanatic
06-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Agassi is baseliner agreed....but he is not a nadal kinda baseliner....he attacks on both the wings......the reason why he had so much success on hardcourts and aus open for example.......nadal is not an attacking player from the baseline...
Did you miss Queen's and even the French Open Nadal was attacking from the baseline. Nadal hardly had to do any running at all. Nadal has a better serve than Agassi did when he won it.

rafa_maniac
06-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Are you going to offer some form of a rebuttal or just laugh ?

Tennis was much better before it grew in popularity, thus attracting these type of fans that most likely have no idea that wooden rackets were once used.

Where do you people come from ?

Your "arguments" are too ludicrous to warrant an actul rebuttal, but if you insist... Who exactly are these "people in uproar"? Snooty elitists and a small subset of the Federer fan population is who. In case you haven't noticed, tennis HAS progressed, in almost every way. Do you think Bill Tilden was wearing brand spanking new Nikes in his day? I guess that makes Federer anti-purist too? If you don't like progression, go watch some of the earliest recorded video footage of 'lawn tennis' and leave us all alone, the tennis of today has almost nothing to do with how it began, and that's not inherantly a bad thing. Who are you or anyone to say what "proper" tennis is? Were you preaching this same crap in the RG final that if Federer were to win it would be a disgrace to true clay court tennis? :rolleyes: One of the great things about tennis as a sport is the diversity in play between different players/surfaces etc... No one style is necessarily right or wrong, it comes down to personal taste (Karlovic's style bores me to death). You're deluded by your own concepts of "aesthetic tennis", a completely vague and subjective term (I happen to find Rafa's blinding passing shots very very appealing to the eye ;)).

prima donna
06-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Do you think Bill Tilden was wearing brand spanking new Nikes in his day? I guess that makes Federer anti-purist too?
How is this relevant ?

MrChopin
06-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Yeah since it all depends on how Nadal does whether the court is fast or not. :rolleyes: Nadal's serve has looked really good on grass and that would be tougher to handle the quicker the courts are.

I was only joking by citing the old adage "If Nadal does well in a tournament, it must be on clay." If Fed (or Safin) don't hoist the trophy, I hope it is Rafa. And yes, I think his game has looked great the last couple months. He has a huge chance to win it, provided the courts aren't too fast.

KitinovRules
06-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Yes, but he played in september 07 in Davis Cup against the Croats.

KitinovRules
06-21-2008, 09:32 AM
So maybe Berrer has a chance to pull an upset against the Faker in the 1 rd?
Looking forward to it.

Matt01
06-21-2008, 11:01 AM
So maybe Berrer has a chance to pull an upset against the Faker in the 1 rd?

No way :)

KitinovRules
06-21-2008, 11:20 AM
No way :)
I know, but it is always nice to make Faketards nervous.

Matt01
06-21-2008, 11:24 AM
I know, but it is always nice to make Faketards nervous.

You're :devil:

Ivanatis
06-21-2008, 11:29 AM
hopefully this is true
I would love to see a faster Wimbledon this year

Black Adam
06-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Prima Donna you are quite an elitist. You are dealing with average Joes no wonder why everybody is just annoyed by your attitude and posts. The best thing to do is to laugh because your kind are a dying breed anyways.

MacTheKnife
06-21-2008, 12:12 PM

You need to watch the 92 final. Aggassi was known as a baseliner, but he won that tournament playing serve and volley, and attacking short balls. I'd bet if you asked Goran if Andre was a baseliner, he'd laugh his a$$ off..

superhoops
06-21-2008, 12:14 PM

Davis Cup :wavey:

oneandonlyhsn
06-21-2008, 12:15 PM
hopefully this is true
I would love to see a faster Wimbledon this year

Ditto, should be an interesting Wimby, atleast I hope so :D

Black Adam
06-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Ditto, should be an interesting Wimby, atleast I hope so :D
:wavey: :hug: Hey!!!!!!!!!! :wavey: :hug:Missed you quite a lot. The most pleasant tennis fan on this forum is back :bounce: :lol:

You are back! How was your trip in Africa? (East Africa???) Anyways welcome back

Black Adam
06-21-2008, 04:47 PM
So in other words Wimbledon might be as fast as Queens???

It doesn't matter because at the end of the first week the grass will be worn down and slower.

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Davis Cup :wavey:

So? The court for DC could have been modified. Says nothing at all.

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 04:58 PM

Gotta agree, but Federer has stopped playing grass tennis some time ago also. ;)

tennizen
06-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Your "arguments" are too ludicrous to warrant an actul rebuttal, but if you insist... Who exactly are these "people in uproar"? Snooty elitists and a small subset of the Federer fan population is who. In case you haven't noticed, tennis HAS progressed, in almost every way. Do you think Bill Tilden was wearing brand spanking new Nikes in his day? I guess that makes Federer anti-purist too? If you don't like progression, go watch some of the earliest recorded video footage of 'lawn tennis' and leave us all alone, the tennis of today has almost nothing to do with how it began, and that's not inherantly a bad thing. Who are you or anyone to say what "proper" tennis is? Were you preaching this same crap in the RG final that if Federer were to win it would be a disgrace to true clay court tennis? :rolleyes: One of the great things about tennis as a sport is the diversity in play between different players/surfaces etc... No one style is necessarily right or wrong, it comes down to personal taste (Karlovic's style bores me to death). You're deluded by your own concepts of "aesthetic tennis", a completely vague and subjective term (I happen to find Rafa's blinding passing shots very very appealing to the eye ;)).

Can't rep you for this:yeah:

Johnny Groove
06-21-2008, 05:07 PM

:hug:

ReturnWinner
06-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Hopefully its faster, last two years has been very slow.
it looked like a green hard court.

prima donna
06-21-2008, 05:32 PM
1-uBYbcINJQ

This is how grass court tennis should be played.

scoobs
06-21-2008, 05:50 PM
I wonder if that's how Suzanne Lenglen played on grass...

Bill Tilden certainly didn't - he preferred to play from the backcourt.

Styles of play come and go. Serve and volley had its time, and given how history repeats, it may come back to the fore again in the future. These things are often cyclical.

But in my view it's wrongheaded and narrowminded to elevate one style of play over another and define one as "how it should be played"

How it should be played is the way that wins you the matches and the titles. Period.

rocketassist
06-21-2008, 05:52 PM
The Wimbledon grass is always quicker in the first few days of play, before the wear and tear results in more muddy slower grass in the second week.

Johnny Groove
06-21-2008, 06:05 PM
The Wimbledon grass is always quicker in the first few days of play, before the wear and tear results in more muddy slower grass in the second week.

If they moved the women to Roehampton or something, it could be fast into the second week :D

LinkMage
06-21-2008, 06:11 PM
I won't believe it till I see it.

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 06:16 PM
I wonder if that's how Suzanne Lenglen played on grass...

Bill Tilden certainly didn't - he preferred to play from the backcourt.

Styles of play come and go. Serve and volley had its time, and given how history repeats, it may come back to the fore again in the future. These things are often cyclical.

But in my view it's wrongheaded and narrowminded to elevate one style of play over another and define one as "how it should be played"

How it should be played is the way that wins you the matches and the titles. Period.

Nah.

There's a way tennis should be played and it isn't how it's being played today. :p

scoobs
06-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Nah.

There's a way tennis should be played and it isn't how it's being played today. :p
What a great surprise that you think this ;)

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 06:30 PM
What a great surprise that you think this ;)

:)

scoobs
06-21-2008, 06:32 PM
:)
Can I ask - when you first started to watch tennis, who was it who you admired most?

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Can I ask - when you first started to watch tennis, who was it who you admired most?

Sampras.

scoobs
06-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Sampras.
Thought so. Thanks.

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Thought so. Thanks.

You're welcome.

prima donna
06-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Gotta agree, but Federer has stopped playing grass tennis some time ago also. ;)
I find this to be an accurate assessment, at times I have indeed found myself becoming quite agitated with him due to his propensity to park himself on the baseline rather than displaying his entire repertoire of skills; however, whether or not he chooses to utilize such skills, he does in fact possess them -- while other players are clearly lacking in terms of this element of development.

Johnny Groove
06-21-2008, 06:50 PM
I find this to be an accurate assessment, at times I have indeed found myself becoming quite agitated with him due to his propensity to park himself on the baseline rather than displaying his entire repertoire of skills; however, whether or not he chooses to utilize such skills, he does in fact possess them -- while other players are clearly lacking in terms of this element of development.

If Fed served and volley nowadays, Nadal would destroy him with passes

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 06:55 PM

Yeah but if you don't use your weapons it's just about the same as not having them.

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 06:56 PM
If Fed served and volley nowadays, Nadal would destroy him with passes

Just like he did to Mahut in Queens last year? :rolleyes: I watched that match.

Johnny Groove
06-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Just like he did to Mahut in Queens last year? :rolleyes: I watched that match.

I'm talking about this year :kiss:

If in this year's final, Fed tries to serve and volley his way to the win, it won't happen

And please, Nadal didn't take Queens seriously until this year

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 07:01 PM

If in this year's final, Fed tries to serve and volley his way to the win, it won't happen

Pathetic excuse. "Didn't take it seriously"... :rolleyes:

Kendrick almost beat your beloved moonballer S&Ving and Kendrick is a joke at it.

Johnny Groove
06-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Pathetic excuse. "Didn't take it seriously"... :rolleyes:

Kendrick almost beat your beloved moonballer S&Ving and Kendrick is a joke at it.

Again you point to ancient matches. Nadal beat Karlovic in Queens :D

prima donna
06-21-2008, 07:04 PM
I wonder if that's how Suzanne Lenglen played on grass....
One of the aspects of Bill Tilden's book that I found to be most intriguing was his dismissive attitude of Suzanne Lenglen's game, almost as if to imply that her game was not quite what it appeared to be, depicting her as this fraudulent display of talent that was merely enhanced by fancy movement on the court that often was likened to that of a ballerina.

To address your question specifically, as far as I know, she had an all-court game and was able to perform from every part of the court, as her father forced her to adhere to a rigorous training schedule which consisted of having to hit very small targets from the baseline, in particular her backhand was quite stable from the baseline, but as displayed in my avatar and several photos, she certainly lacked not the fortitude to approach net -- most modern players seem to suffer from a phobia these days that forces them to avoid the net at any cost.

Suzanne's game was so easy on the eye and she knew that, so she probably would employ any strategy that would generate applause from the gallery, depending on her opponent.

I'd agree with the notion that my line of reasoning comes off as rather narrow, however I just feel that it would almost defy the rules of tennis if such a player like Nadal or Djokovic were to ever win Wimbledon.

This rule only applies to Wimbledon. I'm a fan of Davydenko, but do I feel that he should be winning a tournament like Wimbledon ? Absolutely not. I'm also a fan of Stepanek and Gasquet, two players that were they to win Wimbledon wouldn't cause me to cringe, however both are capable of playing proper grass court tennis.

A little side note: Gasquet is also a baseline player, but he has the ability to volley, unfortunately it seems that his slice is non-existent, most likely because his top-spin backhand is so sufficient that to slice it would almost be an injustice.

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Again you point to ancient matches. Nadal beat Karlovic in Queens :D

Since when Karlovic is a S&Ver? :rolleyes:

Johnny Groove
06-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Since when Karlovic is a S&Ver? :rolleyes:

I didn't say he was, i'm just stating a solid grass court win :shrug:

All I'm trying to say is that the reason Federer doesn't "show his versatility" and come to the net more is because he knows how good players are from the back nowadays and he knows it would be futile to try to win with that approach.

That's how he was early on in his career against Hewitt when Lleyton won most of the early meetings. Then Roger stayed back more and started winning.

sawan66278
06-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Nah.

Chew on this Glenn...from the Guardian:

Manuel Santana, who is the only Spanish man ever to have won at the All England Club, watched in awe last weekend as Nadal, using his sliced backhand and varying the pace of his shots like a grass-court veteran, became the first of his countrymen to win an ATP tournament on the surface for 36 years.

"I don't understand why people call him the king of clay," the 1966 champion said. "Sure, nobody can match him on clay, but there's much more to him than that. He's a great player on all surfaces and when I hear people question whether he can play on grass I just say: 'Look at his record. You don't get to two Wimbledon finals by the age of 21 if you can't play on grass.' I'm sure he can win Wimbledon this year. Even if he doesn't his time will come. Next year Roger will be 27 and Rafa will still be only 23."

Santana sees several areas in which Nadal's grass-court game has improved. "He attacks the ball much more," Santana said. "His serve is much better. As a left-hander he's really started to develop the serve that swings away to the right-hander's backhand. His return of serve has also improved a lot, particularly on the backhand. You could see that in the way he returned against [Ivo] Karlovic, who has one of the biggest serves out there.

"His volleys have improved, but I don't see that as crucial. Remember, players like Borg, [Lleyton] Hewitt and Agassi all won Wimbledon without having great volleys. Borg had a wonderful Wimbledon record but he won his matches playing largely from the baseline. As long as Rafa's serving well and returning well I don't think he needs to get to the net too often. He might still not be able to volley like a Federer or a [Pete] Sampras, but that doesn't matter."

I think I'll trust the opinion of a Hall of Famer over a 22-year old from Brazil. Sorry.

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 07:50 PM
I didn't say he was, i'm just stating a solid grass court win :shrug:

All I'm trying to say is that the reason Federer doesn't "show his versatility" and come to the net more is because he knows how good players are from the back nowadays and he knows it would be futile to try to win with that approach.

That's how he was early on in his career against Hewitt when Lleyton won most of the early meetings. Then Roger stayed back more and started winning.

Federer doesn't go to the net because he's stubborn and he doesn't like to admit he can't blitz every player out there.

Chew on this Glenn...from the Guardian:

I think I'll trust the opinion of a Hall of Famer over a 22-year old from Brazil. Sorry.

Yeah, because an opinion from a Spaniard is definitely impartial and unbiased.

:retard:

My opinion is as good as anyone's. I can defend it with arguments I make myself. Your opinion is pathetic so you have to back it up with other people's. Time to grow up and stop using other people as crutches.

sawan66278
06-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Federer doesn't go to the net because he's stubborn and he doesn't like to admit he can't blitz every player out there.

Yeah, because an opinion from a Spaniard is definitely impartial and unbiased.

:retard:

My opinion is as good as anyone's. I can defend it with arguments I make myself. Your opinion is pathetic so you have to back it up with other people's. Time to grow up and stop using other people as crutches.

You're correct. How could I have so foolish? To cite the opinion of someone who is a Hall of Famer when one hasn't played professional tennis is illogical.:rolleyes:

My opinion is that Brazil is in Asia...so it must be so.:rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 08:14 PM
You're correct. How could I have so foolish? To cite the opinion of someone who is a Hall of Famer when one hasn't played professional tennis is illogical.:rolleyes:

My opinion is that Brazil is in Asia...so it must be so.:rolleyes:

Without arguments...

My opinion is that you're a fanboy. I can back that up with a million posts as arguments.

Two different things.

prima donna
06-21-2008, 08:17 PM
To cite the opinion of someone who is a Hall of Famer
In all fairness, credentials for entrance into the Hall of Fame are rather lenient.

sawan66278
06-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Without arguments...

My opinion is that you're a fanboy. I can back that up with a million posts as arguments.

Two different things.

So Santana's point about Borg winning the Wimbledon titles primarily from the baseline is an opinion? Interesting. I wasn't aware that you had Doc Brown's Delorean and had actually witnessed these matches first hand.

sawan66278
06-21-2008, 08:22 PM
In all fairness, credentials for entrance into the Hall of Fame are rather lenient.

Perhaps...but a Hall of Famer is a Hall of Famer. The man won three of the four slams...so by any standard, a legend.

GlennMirnyi
06-21-2008, 08:23 PM
So Santana's point about Borg winning the Wimbledon titles primarily from the baseline is an opinion? Interesting. I wasn't aware that you had Doc Brown's Delorean and had actually witnessed these matches first hand.

Borg didn't win Wimbledon from the baseline. Have you watched any of his matches? :rolleyes:

Rafa = Fed Killa
06-21-2008, 08:24 PM
1-uBYbcINJQ

Those 2 clowns look like idiots.

Nadal and Djokovic play real mens tennis. Tough and Spartan. Not some pansy who comes prancing to the net. Serve and Volley is for idiots not smart or tough enough to play from the baseline. Good thing that dinosaur tennis is dead. Hewitt buried it.

Bascule
06-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Perhaps...but a Hall of Famer is a Hall of Famer. The man won three of the four slams...so by any standard, a legend.

Come on, Sawan, leave those two trolls, you're gonna get some deasis here. We got funnier business to do.;)

sawan66278
06-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Borg didn't win Wimbledon from the baseline. Have you watched any of his matches? :rolleyes:

Hmm...let's see: Manuel Santana...a legend whom saw Borg win Wimbledon titles in person...or a 22-year old whom was born when Boris Becker won his first...I'll go with the accounts of the 22-year old.:rolleyes:

Duncan
06-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Those 2 clowns look like idiots.

Nadal and Djokovic play real mens tennis. Tough and Spartan. Not some pansy who comes prancing to the net. Serve and Volley is for idiots not smart or tough enough to play from the baseline. Good thing that dinosaur tennis is dead. Hewitt buried it.

Anyone can play from the baseline.

Serve and Volley is an art.

Time to speed up these grass courts again and see the art of serve and volley restored

Rafa = Fed Killa
06-21-2008, 08:38 PM

Time to speed up these grass courts again and see the art of serve and volley restored

If you want art go watch ballet

Tennis has become tough and serve & volley is dead.

Corey Feldman
06-21-2008, 08:41 PM
75% of the ATP employee's are Spaniards

and they will do everything for their little prince Nadal to reach No.1 - and help other 'home' players

they slow everything down, make the balls heavier and rig the draws... look at Ferrer and Verdasco this week for example

unreal

Bascule
06-21-2008, 08:45 PM

and they will do everything for their little prince Nadal to reach No.1 - and help other 'home' players

they slow everything down, make the balls heavier and rig the draws... look at Ferrer and Verdasco this week for example

unreal

:lol: Mikey, you're my idol!

rocketassist
06-21-2008, 08:45 PM

unreal

Verdasco isn't a clay courter and isn't a grinder either. He can't be compared to Nadal and Pics.

kobulingam
06-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Q. Did you practice out there today?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I practiced for about an hour with Bjorkman, just
over at the courts at Aorangi.

Last couple of days, I played on the match courts and they were
quicker than last year. So, yeah, I'm liking that. It's much better.

Q. Have you practiced on Centre Court, Andy?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I haven't. No, I only practiced on court 4, court 11,
and court 17. I mean, they all vary a little bit. I mean, always the
ones on this side, the Aorangi side, everyone says tend to be a bit
quicker. The ones just over the other side of Centre Court are a
little bit slower.

Yeah, I mean, all the courts have been a bit different.

Q. How do they compare with Queen's?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, they're very, very green. The grass is pretty
long right now. Supposedly over the weekend they cut the grass a bit
more.

But I feel like they're faster than Queen's from what I've seen so
far.

Black Adam
06-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Glenn and Prima Donna say so so it must be true. :lol:

prima donna
06-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Glenn and Prima Donna say so so it must be true. :lol:
Have you even read the thread in its full context or is this comment based on one or two posts that you've read ?

wally1
06-21-2008, 11:00 PM

Time to speed up these grass courts again and see the art of serve and volley restoredSpeed of the courts has very little to do with the lack of S&V and net play. It's far more to do with modern rackets and strings making it much, much easier to hit returns and passing shots (particularly when stretched and in what used to be a defensive position). I saw tennis at Surbiton, Eastbourne, and Roehampton this year and those courts are plenty quick enough - still little S&V though. The only way you'll see a whole army of net rushers again is if something dramatic happens with the regulations relating to rackets.

moon language
06-21-2008, 11:04 PM

unreal

Haha. That's been going on for years now. It's helped Federer more than anyone since he's been the best player from the baseline up until this year.

El-Mosquito
06-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Says Murray.

That should tell you alot about how much they have quickened them up.Previously it was just thought they had quickened them up slightly but now that they are quicker than Queens it is very interesting.

Johnny Groove
06-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Who gives a shit what murray says.

The only real barometer of court speed is Nadal's result

El-Mosquito
06-21-2008, 11:43 PM

Yes Im sure you know alot more than Murray about how courts are playing and tennis in general. :rolleyes:

CyBorg
06-21-2008, 11:50 PM

You think he can't win on the fast stuff?

I think he can. I don't see any serve-and-volley guys out there to throw him off.

The surface doesn't matter.

Johnny Groove
06-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Yes Im sure you know alot more than Murray about how courts are playing and tennis in general. :rolleyes:

That's not exactly a loaded statement :shrug:

Johnny Groove
06-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Mikey the broken record :zzz:

DDrago2
06-22-2008, 12:12 AM
So sais one player. We should wait for other sources and above all see for ourselves how the courts play this year
And ATP lately did slow down everything, and on the way that obviously is helping players of Nadal profile - now if it's down to 75% Spanish ATP as one poster suggested or not I can't say
As for S&V, the reason it's not like before certainly can't be only slower surfaces.

GlennMirnyi
06-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Well, somehow Nadal managed to fluke-win Queens, so they probably slowed it absurdly.

Beforehand
06-22-2008, 01:33 AM
That was my thought - not the fluke-win part, but that saying it was quicker than Queen's wasn't saying a whole lot given that way the final of that particular tournament looked.

GlennMirnyi
06-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Hmm...let's see: Manuel Santana...a legend whom saw Borg win Wimbledon titles in person...or a 22-year old whom was born when Boris Becker won his first...I'll go with the accounts of the 22-year old.:rolleyes:

Let's see: a fanboy who has all opinions based on other people's accounts or someone who actually watches matches and studies the sport? :rolleyes:

Great post.

elessar
06-22-2008, 01:55 AM
1-uBYbcINJQ

:spit: Loved the commentary "Looking forward to seeing him win RG, his time will come" :worship:

That half volley at the end was superb though

Corey Feldman
06-22-2008, 02:27 AM
How much did the Spaniards pay you to say that Andy?

we all know Wimbledon is clay with sprinkles of grass on top

just as the little Spanish Prince demanded.

Vanjezi
06-22-2008, 02:51 AM
Murray http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1319/roflen6.gif

Tankman
06-22-2008, 03:09 AM
I'd agree with the notion that my line of reasoning comes off as rather narrow, however I just feel that it would almost defy the rules of tennis if such a player like Nadal or Djokovic were to ever win Wimbledon.

This rule only applies to Wimbledon. I'm a fan of Davydenko, but do I feel that he should be winning a tournament like Wimbledon ? Absolutely not. I'm also a fan of Stepanek and Gasquet, two players that were they to win Wimbledon wouldn't cause me to cringe, however both are capable of playing proper grass court tennis.

A little side note: Gasquet is also a baseline player, but he has the ability to volley, unfortunately it seems that his slice is non-existent, most likely because his top-spin backhand is so sufficient that to slice it would almost be an injustice.

Interesting points you've raised in this thread so far. But one question - rules of tennis? :confused: I wasn't aware that there was any "rule" that should stop Nadal or Djokovic from winning... sure there are traditions, but definitely no rules

IMHO, I don't agree with your idea of "proper grass court tennis", especially since it's so reliant on the assumption that tennis doesn't change. The way Sampras, Ivanisevic and Tilden played is light years away from how they played in the 1900s. Does that mean they're not playing "proper tennis" because they're not conforming to styles played years ago?

ASP0315
06-22-2008, 03:09 AM
this is the biggest joke i have ever heard. :haha:

GlennMirnyi
06-22-2008, 03:10 AM
Jamie Baker said the courts are quicker than the courts used in Argentina for DC.

Merton
06-22-2008, 03:38 AM
This is from Sampras' recent book, talking about the Wimbeldon 1994 final against Ivanisevic:

"The match marked the high point in the growing debate about grass court tennis. A growing chorus of critics charged that Wimbledon tennis had degenerated into a serving contest between two giants who couldn't lose serve, but couldn't break each other, either. Goran and I personified the trend, never mind that neither of us was the biggest guy around. Our big serves and our desire to end points quickly added up to a perfect storm of Wimbledon controversy.

Tennis at Wimbledon, some pundits said, was in danger of becoming irrelevant, because ongoing technologies had produced more powerful rackets that buried the needle on the power meter deep in the red. Even the tabloids got into it, running pictures of prominent politicians and others in the Royal Box sleeping soundly. Ostensibly, that had something to do with the way the game was played."

Then Sampras goes on to talk about rackets, but he comes back to the Wimbledon court speed issue:

"Note that nobody complained about the game being too "fast" or "boring" when Andre Agassi was playing, say, a Pat Rafter. And nobody rhapsodized about the glories of red clay when two grinders were having five-hour rallying contests. [Edit: Clay became faster at RG since the mid-90s imo-Merton] Goran and I were not the ideal matchup at Wimbledon, although we often played each other. In the wake of our 1994 match Wimbledon went to softer, slower balls, and they began to develop a new grass mixture that ultimately slowed down the courts and made grass-court play more rally-friendly." [Bolds are mine-Merton]

I think that the "big hitters" in the 90s (Sampras, Ivanisevic, Krajicek, Philippousis, Becker, the latter in his declining years though) plus players like Henman and Rafter were simply an exceptional generation that didn't find successors that could implement that type of game with similar success these days. Who are players of similar style today? Roddick, Berdych, Gonzalez, Karlovic, Soderling... No comparison really.

GlennMirnyi
06-22-2008, 04:11 AM
This is from Sampras' recent book, talking about the Wimbeldon 1994 final against Ivanisevic:

"The match marked the high point in the growing debate about grass court tennis. A growing chorus of critics charged that Wimbledon tennis had degenerated into a serving contest between two giants who couldn't lose serve, but couldn't break each other, either. Goran and I personified the trend, never mind that neither of us was the biggest guy around. Our big serves and our desire to end points quickly added up to a perfect storm of Wimbledon controversy.

Tennis at Wimbledon, some pundits said, was in danger of becoming irrelevant, because ongoing technologies had produced more powerful rackets that buried the needle on the power meter deep in the red. Even the tabloids got into it, running pictures of prominent politicians and others in the Royal Box sleeping soundly. Ostensibly, that had something to do with the way the game was played."

Then Sampras goes on to talk about rackets, but he comes back to the Wimbledon court speed issue:

"Note that nobody complained about the game being too "fast" or "boring" when Andre Agassi was playing, say, a Pat Rafter. And nobody rhapsodized about the glories of red clay when two grinders were having five-hour rallying contests. [Edit: Clay became faster at RG since the mid-90s imo-Merton] Goran and I were not the ideal matchup at Wimbledon, although we often played each other. In the wake of our 1994 match Wimbledon went to softer, slower balls, and they began to develop a new grass mixture that ultimately slowed down the courts and made grass-court play more rally-friendly." [Bolds are mine-Merton]

I think that the "big hitters" in the 90s (Sampras, Ivanisevic, Krajicek, Philippousis, Becker, the latter in his declining years though) plus players like Henman and Rafter were simply an exceptional generation that didn't find successors that could implement that type of game with similar success these days. Who are players of similar style today? Roddick, Berdych, Gonzalez, Karlovic, Soderling... No comparison really.

Vamos weak era.

Clydey
06-22-2008, 07:18 AM
this is the biggest joke i have ever heard. :haha:

Played at Wimbledon, have you? Your opinion on this matter is irrelevant, unless you have actually played on the surface.

Allez
06-22-2008, 07:22 AM
You're going to have other players saying the opposite. It was the same in Australia, so who does one trust ? :shrug:

Johnny Groove
06-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Vamos weak era.

Sampras could say the moon was pink and you'd agree

Fedex
06-22-2008, 08:35 AM
You need to watch the 92 final. Aggassi was known as a baseliner, but he won that tournament playing serve and volley, and attacking short balls. I'd bet if you asked Goran if Andre was a baseliner, he'd laugh his a$$ off..

Agassi definitely did NOT win Wimbledon by serving and volleying. Andre was a terrible volleyer. He won that tournament with his outstanding return game and dominating the points from the baseline.

Borg is a different case, however. It is quite the misconception that Borg won Wimbledon by just playing from the baseline. Borg did quite a bit of serve-volleying and attacking the net off of short balls in his Wimbledon runs in the late 70's. He wasn't coming in McEnroe style or anything, but he certainly came to the net more than the players do today at Wimbledon. (including Federer)

Fedex
06-22-2008, 08:43 AM

I can't really disagree with that. Federer has only won Wimbledon once (2003) by playing a high % of his points at the net. Every year since then, he has won at the baseline. Federer has said in the past that he would like to win Wimbledon someday by serve and volleying, but that would be extremely foolish now.

Action Jackson
06-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Agassi's Wimbledon title victory was probably his best achievement and no he didn't win it by serve/volleying.

His return of serve and passing shots dismantled the big servers in 92.

Fedex
06-22-2008, 09:01 AM

I don't think Federer could win serve and volleying all of the time, but I think it could be a useful tactic to use every now and then against Nadal on grass. He's had good success with it against Nadal on the fast indoor hard courts.

Federer's serve is so good on grass that he does get a lot of returns that would be easy put aways if he came in behind them on a semi-regular basis.

zicofirol
06-22-2008, 09:17 AM

Agreee, no comparison at all...

What everyone is forgetting is that serving is a skill, and seeing from the amount of shitty servers on tour I would say its a pretty hard skill to hone...

Knightmace
06-22-2008, 09:18 AM
It's gone way slower.

GuiroNl
06-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Played at Wimbledon, have you? Your opinion on this matter is irrelevant, unless you have actually played on the surface.

The only thing that's important is the speed of Centre Court and Court 1. I doubt Murray has played on either of them.

decrepitude
06-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Where is Raging Lamb? Prime candidate for merging.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=126134

kiwi10is
06-22-2008, 10:42 AM
As far as I know only Players from the Last-Eight-Club (players who at least reach the 1/4 Finals once in their life) are allowed to practice on the tournament courts. The rest (including Andy Murray) has to use the practice courts at Aorangi Park. At least until the tournament starts...

decrepitude
06-22-2008, 10:50 AM
The only thing that's important is the speed of Centre Court and Court 1. I doubt Murray has played on either of them.

He specifically says in the Henman interview that he is talking about the match courts other than Centre and Court 1, and that those match courts are quicker than in the previous years he has played or practiced on them.

chris whiteside
06-22-2008, 01:51 PM
I think it's good for the game that the 4 Slams should be on different surfaces and the best should be able to play on any surface.

Wimbledon is a grass event so let it play like one and not try to slow the courts down to accomodate certain players.

If this is true and I really hope they have altered the length of the grass to quicken the courts up a bit then we could be in for a very interesting tournament with many unexpected results.

Some try to deny the courts have been slowed down over the past few years but I trust the players who obviously know the conditions and too many of them have said that the speed has slowed for it to be a fiction.

sawan66278
06-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Agreee, no comparison at all...

What everyone is forgetting is that serving is a skill, and seeing from the amount of shitty servers on tour I would say its a pretty hard skill to hone...

And I for one say that Wimbledon is MUCH more exciting because of the baseline battles. Sampras/Goran...some of the dullest matches in the Open era. And, though I loved them at the time, even the Edberg/Becker matches are boring for me.:scratch:

KitinovRules
06-22-2008, 03:06 PM
I hope that they put the Faker in Court n.2 tommorow agianst Berrer.

zicofirol
06-22-2008, 03:08 PM
And I for one say that Wimbledon is MUCH more exciting because of the baseline battles. Sampras/Goran...some of the dullest matches in the Open era. And, though I loved them at the time, even the Edberg/Becker matches are boring for me.:scratch:

:o:o some of the dullest matches??? you must hate s&v...

enjoy montanes vs berlocq, that should be a classic...

Byrd
06-22-2008, 03:27 PM
It's a shame that such a fast surface has turned to shit, and grinding moonballers manage to get to finals, meh...

rocketassist
06-22-2008, 03:40 PM
The demise is way over-exaggerated- grass gimps still don't get very far at all.

You won't see grass mugs like Boredo, Massu, Montanes, Acasuso, Chela, making the second week at all. Just because a guy like Nadal modified his game for grass and made the finals doesn't mean Wimbledon is dead.

I know my own country's slam better than most and the bottom line is that serve and volley is dying because not enough are being produced, not because the speed of all courts have slowed down. Clay has got quicker, grass has slowed down, hardcourts remain as they are. :shrug:

Our grass certainly isn't 'green clay' as people make out it is.

decrepitude
06-22-2008, 03:53 PM

Hard luck, he is on Centre.

DDrago2
06-22-2008, 03:56 PM
The demise is way over-exaggerated- grass gimps still don't get very far at all.

You won't see grass mugs like Boredo, Massu, Montanes, Acasuso, Chela, making the second week at all. Just because a guy like Nadal modified his game for grass and made the finals doesn't mean Wimbledon is dead.

I know my own country's slam better than most and the bottom line is that serve and volley is dying because not enough are being produced, not because the speed of all courts have slowed down. Clay has got quicker, grass has slowed down, hardcourts remain as they are. :shrug:

Our grass certainly isn't 'green clay' as people make out it is.

Have you ever watched how tournament in Halle plays? It's day and night compared to what we saw in Wimby last year.

As for Nadal "adjusting his game" - blah blah. He was able to employ his usual game on Wimbledon last year, the ball was "sitting up" enough for that. Sharp attackers were the losers

rocketassist
06-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Have you ever watched how tournament in Halle plays? It's day and night compared to what we saw in Wimby last year.

As for Nadal "adjusting his game" - blah blah. He was able to employ his usual game on Wimbledon last year, the ball was "sitting up" enough for that. Sharp attackers were the losers

Your idol has strolled to the last five Wimbledon titles and will probably win another. That tells you all you need to know.

Nadal was standing at the front of the baseline, not 5m behind like he does on clay.

DDrago2
06-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Your idol has strolled to the last five Wimbledon titles and will probably win another. That tells you all you need to know.

It tells me that Federer managed to win even despite they somewhat ruined his favourite surface, that used to allow atomic tennis but not anymore.

Nadal was standing at the front of the baseline, not 5m behind like he does on clay.

Did you watch RG finals this year? He was doing the same there

tennizen
06-22-2008, 04:14 PM

Assuming you are right, maybe its time for the sharp attackers to adjust their games instead of losing helplessly;)

DDrago2
06-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Assuming you are right, maybe its time for the sharp attackers to adjust their games instead of losing helplessly;)

Pardon me? So you accept Wimbledon to become a slow tournament? And who is losing helplessly, what are you talking about?

StevoTG
06-22-2008, 04:26 PM
People who think that Nadal doesn't change his game on grass should really try watching some of his matches, there is a quite clear difference in tactics!

star
06-22-2008, 04:28 PM

Ah -- I see. Federer was not a sharp attacker then. Thanks for the insight. :hatoff:

It tells me that Federer managed to win even despite they somewhat ruined his favourite surface, that used to allow atomic tennis but not anymore.

You simply don't have any regard for facts. The grass at Wimbledon was slowed about the time Hewitt won. Federer has done all of his winning at Wimbledon on the slower surface. People tell you this over and over, but you insist on having the idea that the surface was slowed only in the last year.

DDrago2
06-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Ah -- I see. Federer was not a sharp attacker then. Thanks for the insight. :hatoff:

When I said "losers" I wanted to say they were "on the lose" or how you say - I ment their's performance was lowered, their's style made less effective, destimulated

You simply don't have any regard for facts. The grass at Wimbledon was slowed about the time Hewitt won. Federer has done all of his winning at Wimbledon on the slower surface. People tell you this over and over, but you insist on having the idea that the surface was slowed only in the last year.

That's how I saw it. Wimbledon was progressively becoing slower during recent years (I recall in 2006 Federer saying how he had problems to overpower Ferrero in QF, something he could do easier before), but last year the ball suddenly started sitting up and bouncing two metres high!

alfonsojose
06-22-2008, 07:51 PM
.. Almugro.
:haha: :haha:

alfonsojose
06-22-2008, 07:58 PM
:o:o some of the dullest matches??? you must hate s&v...

enjoy montanes vs berlocq, that should be a classic...

:haha: :haha:

Monteque
06-22-2008, 08:06 PM
i like much more centre court in flushing meadows, NY. Because public can use it.

GlennMirnyi
06-22-2008, 10:34 PM

Court 2 is too good.

It's a shame that such a fast surface has turned to shit, and grinding moonballers manage to get to finals, meh...

Yep.

rofe
06-23-2008, 02:55 AM
That's how I saw it. Wimbledon was progressively becoing slower during recent years (I recall in 2006 Federer saying how he had problems to overpower Ferrero in QF, something he could do easier before), but last year the ball suddenly started sitting up and bouncing two metres high!

I don't remember how it was in previous years but I remember thinking last year that the bounce was too true for a grass court and how players were having trouble hitting through their opponents. The serve was still effective. It was not playing like a clay court however but more like a medium-slow hardcourt.

Byrd
06-23-2008, 03:21 AM
Court 2 is too good.

Yep.

Nice to see you back on the general forum especially with all these idiots speaking the usual generic crap, hows thing been?

GlennMirnyi
06-23-2008, 03:25 AM
Nice to see you back on the general forum especially with all these idiots speaking the usual generic crap, hows thing been?

Same right back at you.

Things have been awful with Faker and Nadal going past second rounds in grass tournaments. A shame to the sport.

Apart from that, all's well. :)

Byrd
06-23-2008, 03:29 AM
Same right back at you.

Things have been awful with Faker and Nadal going past second rounds in grass tournaments. A shame to the sport.

Don't worry mate, I'm back for a while, so I think its going to get very interesting around here from now on.

Johnny Groove
06-23-2008, 03:31 AM
Same right back at you.

From the sounds of things, you haven't enjoyed tennis in 7 years

GlennMirnyi
06-23-2008, 03:32 AM
Don't worry mate, I'm back for a while, so I think its going to get very interesting around here from now on.

Looking forward to it mate. Great to have you back here. ;) :worship:

GlennMirnyi
06-23-2008, 03:33 AM
From the sounds of things, you haven't enjoyed tennis in 7 years

Actually since 2002 tennis has been quite boring in the grass season especially.

Johnny Groove
06-23-2008, 03:35 AM
Actually since 2002 tennis has been quite boring in the grass season especially.

6 years then, my bad.

And yet you continue watching the sport. One would think you are a masochist

GlennMirnyi
06-23-2008, 03:36 AM
6 years then, my bad.

And yet you continue watching the sport. One would think you are a masochist

I love the sport even though those moonballers/grinders/pushers have ruined it.

Johnny Groove
06-23-2008, 03:38 AM

Yeah we know, you say so in every post.

GlennMirnyi
06-23-2008, 03:42 AM
Yeah we know, you say so in every post.

Good that I'm clear enough.

habibko
06-23-2008, 03:42 AM

but sexy is still there, the savior of Tennis :worship:

chris whiteside
06-23-2008, 12:56 PM
They seem to be doing all they can to help Nadal.

Five Live has just broadcast that Richard Williams says that the balls are heavier and the courts even slower this year.

Foxy
06-23-2008, 03:32 PM
They seem to be doing all they can to help Nadal.

Five Live has just broadcast that Richard Williams says that the balls are heavier and the courts even slower this year.

I watched Ego King's match. And the first thing I noticed is the ball moving strangely slow through the air. Besides that the court speed looks the same as last year to me. Completely different from what Murray commented early on.

Bazooka
06-23-2008, 03:38 PM
I watched Ego King's match. And the first thing I noticed is the ball moving strangely slow through the air. Besides that the court speed looks the same as last year to me. Completely different from what Murray commented early on.

Yeah, probably they changed the air too. They are feeding the court with air from Manacor, so Nadal can win.

Foxy
06-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Yeah, probably they changed the air too. They are feeding the court with air from Manacor, so Nadal can win.

Yeah, probably :) Stupid. It's the balls what I meant.

DDrago2
06-23-2008, 04:28 PM
The courts seem to play same as last year. ANd since it seems there will be no rain, it will be even less grass court tennis than last year

But at least there is a roof so there will be no wind like last year

DDrago2
06-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't remember how it was in previous years but I remember thinking last year that the bounce was too true for a grass court and how players were having trouble hitting through their opponents. The serve was still effective. It was not playing like a clay court however but more like a medium-slow hardcourt.

Completely so. The rain somewhat changed thins during 1st week, and also wind due to the lack of roof had some effect, otherwise the game was like you described - as we could see in the finals that completely played into Nadal's hands

DDrago2
06-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Argh I just saw a backhand top spin from Berrer in the match against Djokovic from up close and slow motion - the ball jumped off from the ground like they play on rubber!!! Ridiculous !!

GuiroNl
06-24-2008, 07:53 AM
According to Djokovic the Centre Court is pretty slow.

Q. He rolled off five games at the end of the second set. Was that a case of perhaps you had lost concentration?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: (...)
The grass is pretty slow. I was trying to get used to the returns. I was trying to be aggressive at the same time. But he was serving pretty good in the first two sets, which was unabling (sic) me to step it up. Maybe I lost the focus towards the end of the second set, but I managed to come back.

Q. You talked about adapting to the conditions on Centre Court. How different does the grass play here compared to Queen's?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It is quite different. Of course, for the people who never played professional tennis, obviously they don't understand the difference, even on the same surface, different conditions in different tournaments. The grass in Queen's was quicker and the ball was bouncing higher, which was more suitable to my game.

Why is it that players say different things from each other?

DDrago2
06-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Wind again on centre court today, like yesterday, on Djokovic-Safin match

Gongratulations to Wimbledon organisers for managing to exactly replicate last years decadent conditions on Wimbledon inlcuding this wind, despite the roof is back.

scoobs
06-25-2008, 01:40 PM
it did used to get Windy on centre court with the old roof before 2007, you know. this is not an entirely new phenomenon.

It is windy here in London today.

rocketassist
06-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Wind again on centre court today, like yesterday, on Djokovic-Safin match

Gongratulations to Wimbledon organisers for managing to exactly replicate last years decadent conditions on Wimbledon inlcuding this wind, despite the roof is back.

Yeah the Wimbledon organisers made the wind :haha:

rofe
06-25-2008, 04:45 PM
I watched Marat's interview and he thanked the tournament organizers for slowing down the court. As I said before, Wimbly is playing like a slow-medium hardcourt and the consecutive days of good weather is making the ball bounce truer.

DDrago2
06-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Yeah the Wimbledon organisers made the wind :haha:

They made the courts play slow so even what's not their's fault is poking the eyes now

This thread has to include this quote now:

Q. What do you like the most about Wimbledon, and what do you dislike the most about Wimbledon?

MARAT SAFIN: Thanks for the people to make the courts slower.

Nadal_Fanatic
07-04-2008, 02:18 AM
I guess Murray is still a miserable git as he was wrong. :D

tangerine_dream
06-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Wimbledon speeding up the grass this year?

luie
06-15-2009, 03:47 AM
Wimbledon speeding up the grass this year?
I will base my assessment of the speed of the grass courts on how far nadull goes in the tourny,not a moment before.:D

Matt01
06-15-2009, 04:10 PM
I will base my assessment of the speed of the grass courts on how far nadull goes in the tourny,not a moment before.:D

With Nadal's latest knee injury I fear this won't work this time ;)