US Open

Layla
08-28-2002, 05:44 PM
GOOD LUCK AT THE US OPEN TOMMY! :kiss:

The first slam trophy is waiting for you! :bounce:

Layla
08-28-2002, 05:47 PM
His match against Sanchez has just started. Come on, Tommy! :D

Btw, I don't know if you saw this but an official spoke to Tommy for a few minutes and Tommy had to change his sleeveless white shirt and put on a green one polo shirt (I think that's the right expression - sleeves and a collar). LMAO! I didn't know they were so strict at the US Open. This isn't Wimbledon after all. ;)

Mrs. B
08-28-2002, 06:49 PM
:rolleyes:

C'mon, Tommy!!!

ILR
08-28-2002, 07:44 PM
Oh No!U can do it Tommy! :kiss:

Quick message before I go Ill be back on in about 45 mins(hope 2 c everyone here!)

PS.Did anyone else notice how HOT Tommy looks in green? :hearts:

Layla
08-28-2002, 07:54 PM
Tommy looks hot in everything, but I especially like him in orange. Of course we'll still be here, I just hope Tommy will too. :(

GO TOMMY!!! YOU CAN TURN THIS AROUND!

Mrs. B
08-28-2002, 09:06 PM
CONGRATS, Tommy on that thrilling 5 setter first round!!!

2 double faults at 2 match points....my heart....whooaaa....

ILR
08-28-2002, 09:12 PM
lol coz he looked good or because he won? ;)

Leo7
08-28-2002, 09:17 PM
:bounce: TOMMY! :bounce:

did anyone see his match against Sanchez? it was soooooooooooooooo dramatic, emotionally draining!lol! he was serving at 6-5, 40-15 in the final set when he double faulted 3 straight times! i thought i was gonna have a heart-attack! on his next match point Sanchez hit an incredible passing shot, but finally Tommy came through a few points later with a big first serve!:)

but i worry cos he said afterwards that his arm was a "pain in the butt" this month!:(

Layla
08-28-2002, 09:26 PM
Oooops. I congratulated him all over the board, but forgot to do it in his forum. :o

WELL DONE TOMMY!!! :kiss:

Yes, I saw the entire match. Everything you said goes double for me. It was so much like that Safin/Kiefer match yesterday, only more nerve-wrecking. But our boy pulled through and that's what matters. :)

I think he said his pain comes and goes so it might not be too bad in the next match. :(

Leo7
08-28-2002, 09:30 PM
i hope he gets some good rest for his next round. he has a tough match against Karol Kucera, a former top 10 player who is very tricky. and in the 3rd round he could face Thomas Enqvist!:eek:

Good Luck, Tommy Boy!;)

Mrs. B
08-28-2002, 10:08 PM
i couldn't believe that after blowing away the 2 match points, he makes a third double fault!!! scheisse!!! he got really lucky there, Sanchez played very well.
i wish him all the best in his next round.

Leo7
08-29-2002, 03:13 AM
:wavey: Mrs. B ! we don't see ya enough over here in the Tommy forum.

fleemke²
08-29-2002, 11:14 AM
Did you see Tommy warming up :hearts: :hearts: :lick: He was so sexy in his new shirt! He had to change it because it wasn't allowd but Nike want to get it true! It was a shirt without, damn how do you call it :confused: , those things arround his sexy arms :cool:

I really hope it's getting true because it would make male tennis even more sexy :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Good luck Tommy in the next round!

lurker
08-29-2002, 01:43 PM
Tommy looks great in green...but I liked the sleeveless shirt better;)

But these marathon matches are killing my poor nerves....I hope he gets an easier time with Kucera.

Good luck Tommy!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Mrs. B
08-29-2002, 02:16 PM
Leo, i'll try to drop by here more often in the future. As you know i'm an avid fan of RF but i do appreciate other player's game, too. And Tommy is a good Kraut. He's even buddies with Rogi, i think, on the tour. Not to mention that he's a cutie, too. ;)
I wish him all the best.

Leo7
08-29-2002, 03:57 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020828/capt.1030564287us_open_tennis_xnyf139.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020828/capt.1030573273us_open_tennis_xnyf158.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020828/capt.1030572908us_open_tennis_xnyf155.jpg

Leo7
08-29-2002, 04:00 PM
Haas's fashion sense fails to impress organisers
NEW YORK, Aug 28 (Reuters) - German heartthrob Tommy Haas is enjoying a lot of media exposure as grand slam fever grips the Big Apple - maybe just a bit too much exposure.

The German began warming up before his first-round match on Wednesday at the U.S. Open wearing a white sleeveless sweatshirt.

But while the snow-white garment would have passed Wimbledon's notoriously-draconian dress code with flying colours, it fell foul in fashion-conscious New York.

A blue-shirted tournament official strode towards the laid-back German just prior to his encounter with Spain's David Sanchez on the Louis Armstrong court and asked him to switch to more acceptable attire.

Seconds later the chastened third seed returned to the court in a toned-down traditional green sports shirt for his first round match.

International Tennis Federation rules state that: "Customarily acceptable tennis attire shall be worn as determined by each respectable grand slam.

"Sweatshirts, gym shorts, dress shirts, T-shirts or any other inappropriate attire shall not be worn during a match (including the warm-ups)."

While U.S. Open officials failed to appreciate Haas's obvious talents, a bare-chested Haas was splashed across New York newspapers on Monday.

The New York Post featured the 24-year-old posing topless with his hands strategically placed on his girlfriend Alessandra to maintain her modesty.
~~~~~

i think it's ridiculous that Serena is allowed to have her ass hanging out in that revealing outfit but Tommy can't even wear a t-shirt without sleeves?!:confused: :eek: :mad:

Leo7
08-29-2002, 04:01 PM
Haas pulls out five-set victory after shirt flap
AP Photo
More Photos

By HOWARD FENDRICH
AP Tennis Writer
August 28, 2002

NEW YORK (AP) -- Little was ordinary about the start of the U.S. Open for third-seeded Tommy Haas, from being ordered to change out of a sleeveless shirt to three straight double faults in the fifth set.

On a day that past champions Pete Sampras and Serena Williams won, while one-hit wonders Jelena Dokic and David Nalbandian lost -- all in straight sets -- Haas and his foil, David Sanchez, produced enough theater for a round's worth of matches.

Haas pulled out a 7-6 (1), 3-6, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 victory Wednesday that was a struggle for a player usually most comfortable on hard courts. If he can deal with right arm pain that's been hounding him, Haas could be a title threat.

Just how close did the 61st-ranked Sanchez come to pulling off the upset? He actually won more points: 156 to 155.

But their encounter will be remembered most for a prematch talking-to Haas received that put him in sartorial territory previously occupied by Anne White (remember the skintight nylon leotard at Wimbledon in 1985?) and Andre Agassi (remember the denim shorts and Day-Glo bicycle tights?).

Haas showed up for Wednesday's first-round match wearing a white muscle shirt, that revealed ... his shoulders.

Gasp!

It wasn't nearly as provocative as the zip-down, stop-at-the-thighs black Lycra outfit Williams is wearing. Or, for that matter, Anna Kournikova's midriff-revealing getup. Nonetheless, it caught the attention of chair umpire Norm Chryst. He alerted tournament referee Brian Earley, who turned on the TV, looked at Haas, and ruled the shirt had to go.

Earley cited Article III, Section C of the Grand Slam rulebook: ``Every player shall dress and present himself for play in a professional manner. Clean and customarily acceptable tennis attire shall be worn as determined by each respective Grand Slam.''

``I was given the job of making a determination on the spot. I decided it wasn't 'customarily acceptable,' '' Earley said. ``It's a gut reaction.''

Haas -- who said sleeves annoy him -- had polo shirts with him and wore those for the 3-hour, 23-minute match.

``On the women's tour, you see Serena and all those other ladies wearing tight stuff,'' Haas said. ``It's something new, brings something else to the game.''

Right now, men's tennis could use a bit of that if it's going to compete with a women's game that has more intriguing story lines and more-marketed personalities. The WTA Tour isn't shy about letting sex appeal help sell its product.

Or, as Earley put it: ``Women's attire has gone all over the place.''

``There's no question we've been hearing a lot of not-so-flattering things about the men's game, compared to the ladies'. Maybe it's an effort to do some different things,'' Sampras said. ``That's not the way to do it, in my opinion.''

Told what happened to Haas, Williams said: ``You're kidding!''

Earley noted Williams' outfit was approved for the Open a month ago. Early wouldn't say whether Haas' shirt might have passed muster had it been submitted ahead of time -- nor whether Haas will be allowed to wear it for his second-round match.

It's been a trying 2002 for Haas, most significantly because his parents were hospitalized in June after they were hit by a car while riding a motorcycle. He skipped Wimbledon to be with them.

On court, he's had tendinitis in his right arm, which led him to skip the semifinals at an Open tuneup last week.

Still, Haas can't be discounted here. He's twice been a semifinalist at the Australian Open and reached the fourth round at the past two U.S. Opens.

Sanchez isn't exactly the caliber of player who should present problems. He has a 14-20 match record in 2002, and never has been past the quarterfinals at a tour-level event since turning pro in 1997.

Yet Sanchez moved out to a 3-0 lead in the fifth set. In doing so, he probably expended too much of what was a dwindling supply of energy. That was evident when he didn't bend low enough to get to Haas' forehand and whiffed on a shot, setting up a service break.

Haas seemingly took control by going up 6-5 in the final set, converting his fifth break point of the 11th game when Sanchez's shot caught the net tape and flew out. After the game, both players' cramping legs were massaged by trainers.

Haas then served for the match and quickly earned two match points at 40-15.

He double faulted to 40-30, walked to the other half of the baseline and double faulted to deuce, then double faulted to break point.

Ugh!

An overhead erased the break point, and Haas eventually held it together long enough to win.

``I was lucky to get through that,'' Haas said.

Layla
08-29-2002, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the articles. :)

I didn't even realize there were so many unacceptable outfits including a t-shirt. :confused: This is ridiculous. And it's not like Haas was making a fashion statement or trying to promote the ATP (lol @ Sampras). I can understand his aversion to sleeves. I hate to excercise with sleeves. It constricts my movements and when it gets sweaty it's really annoying.

He should have submitted his shirt for evaluation in advance??? That is absurd. :rolleyes:

TennisHack
08-29-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Leo7

"Sweatshirts, gym shorts, dress shirts, T-shirts or any other inappropriate attire shall not be worn during a match (including the warm-ups)."

I SO want to see the boys play in dress shirts :D

You know something is terribly wrong if he could have worn it at Wimbly but not at the Open! :eek:

Leo7
08-29-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Leo7

The New York Post featured the 24-year-old posing topless with his hands strategically placed on his girlfriend Alessandra to maintain her modesty.

here is the pic:

http://www.hermann-gaetjens.de/Bilder/Anna%20Bilder%202001/anna_t-haas.jpg

Leo7
08-29-2002, 05:35 PM
:eek:

Layla
08-29-2002, 05:40 PM
Sexy, sexy, sexy. :D I have no problem with that. I wonder what other players thought of that.

Mrs. B
08-29-2002, 05:44 PM
hmmm, with Tommy's hands on her ....she should be smiling. ;)

Lucky girl...

Layla
08-29-2002, 05:47 PM
I know. I would NOT mind being in her place. Mmmmmm.... :drool:

Layla
08-29-2002, 07:44 PM
Just so you know Tommy isn't the only one. You've probably seen this one before, but here's Carlos Moya:

ILR
08-29-2002, 08:13 PM
Leo thanx babe!nice pics! ;)

Where's Carlos's hair? :confused: :eek:

Leo7
08-29-2002, 09:53 PM
this whole Tommy Haas/sleeveless shirt deal has been one of the hottest topics so far in the US Open. here is ANOTHER good article:

Haas foray into fashion fails
By Cynthia Faulkner
ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- There she was in all her glory: Serena Williams in her skin-tight black cat suit that, when the light struck just right, made her appear nude. A major spectacle? Nope. Just another day in women's tennis.

After adding hot pink accessories, Serena Williams said she cares about every clothing detail.

Meanwhile, on the next court over, Tommy Haas was told to remove his muscle shirt. For heaven's sakes, it was sleeveless!

"I asked them what was appropriate on the women's tour," Haas said. "You see Serena and some of those ladies wearing all this tight stuff … It's interesting, it looks good."

Three days into the U.S. Open and the fashion police are out in full force.

Wednesday's media clippings were full of notes on the latest fashions in women's tennis, with Serena's S-curves leading the way.

But one of the most interesting shots was in the New York Post, which reprinted a photo of a nude Tommy Haas serving as a frame for his equally nude girlfriend, with his arms covering her exposed breasts. ("At breakfast I saw it. It was a good wake-up call," Haas said.)

Take that ladies! The guys can be sexy, too. Well, unless it's deemed that they're not wearing "clean and customarily acceptable tennis attire" -- as specified in the Official Grand Slam Rule Book -- by tournament referee Brian Earley and tournament director Jim Curley.

So Haas donned a shirt with sleeves -- changing on the court, mind you, to the sound of wolf whistles.

After crushing Dinara Safina, Williams, still looking like she was dressed by the Tuscadero sisters, addressed this seemingly double standard.

"I think for the guys and the ladies, you should wear whatever you please," Williams said. "Someone can't tell me what to wear. I hate when people tell me what to wear."

"There's some interesting outfits out there, I will say that. Pretty revealing," Pete Sampras said smiling, when asked about Haas' quashed fashion statement. "You see all the curves."

Williams did submit her outfit for approval -- Haas apparently was unaware there was such a thing as an approval process -- but it seems unlikely that at this stage his shirt will be allowed even if submitted.

Luckily, Tommy Haas had some other shirts with him to change into.

While the women's fashions seem to shrink every week -- shorter and tighter -- the men traditionally wear baggy shorts and untucked, collarless shirts. And the numbers show that more and more people these days are drawn to women's tennis. With hot American draws Sampras and Andre Agassi getting ever closer to retirement, criticism has arisen that the men's game isn't, well, as attractive.

"There's no question we've been hearing a lot of not so flattering things about the men's game compared to the ladies," Sampras said. "Maybe it's an effort to do some different things."

"If you see some of the stuff (they've) been wearing on the women's side," Haas said, "you have to give them credit. They're probably ahead of us for sure.

"But you know, that's something maybe for us to look at and to see what we can do. I think that's definitely a way to start off. I'm sure some people will like it."

Williams, the No. 1 women's player, said the women's unusual outfits might encourage more people to watch tennis.

"Maybe more people look, see how nice it is, how fun it is," said Williams, who frequently designs her outfit, although not the latest. "It's all fashion to me. It's all strategically placed, everything I wear, even the socks."

But 13-time Grand Slam winner Sampras doesn't think more style is what's needed to help build a new image for the men.

"You know, it's about the tennis. It's about a little personality," said Sampras, who like Haas is represented by Nike. "But I don't think -- (it's) something I wouldn't feel comfortable doing. But I'm sure Nike, you know, wants to make a statement. Maybe so does Tommy.

"But that doesn't work for me."

Haas -- emphasizing that he was not joking -- said he had a serious tennis-related reason for wanting to bare his biceps.

"In my case, it really helps me because the shirts, the sleeves sometimes when they get really sweaty, they get in my way. That's one way to stop that."

Williams, who also has budding hopes of being an actress, agrees that on the court fashion distractions and starlet aspirations disappear. She gets down to business.

"When I'm in a tennis tournament, it's all about tennis, especially nowadays. I'm so focused on tennis. I'm very focused on what I want to do, how to be the best."

And, with the exception of Anne White, some of the biggest fashion changes in tennis have been made by the best players -- like Andre Agassi and the Williams sisters.

"If you look back many years ago, you had to wear collars," Haas said. "It was usually the short shorts. That was the traditional type of style. Used to be only in white.

"Then Agassi came along, other people came along. Times change, like in everything else. Tennis changes. The game changes. Why not change a little bit in the stuff you wear?"

Haas said he was sure that in 10 to 12 years male tennis players will likely be wearing sleeveless shirts if they wish. But if Sampras' expected baby were to be a girl, would he someday let her wear a black cat suit on a tennis court?

"I might draw the line there," he said.

Mrs. B
08-30-2002, 08:17 PM
Congratulations Tommy on the 3 set win over Kucera!!!!

:):):)

Lily
08-30-2002, 08:33 PM
wow Mrs. B is here too.lol

They were showing the end of Tommys match and then they spoke with him. He said of course theres coaching during the matches.lol And then they asked him about the sleevless shirt situation and he said that he would wear it further into the tournament. Go Tommy! :) lol He's so outspoken and honest. Its very nice.

Mrs. B
08-30-2002, 08:44 PM
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/cheering.gif

Yeah, hope he'll wear it now that he's in the 3rd round, and for being such a cutie pie...

Layla
08-30-2002, 08:46 PM
GO TOMMY GO!!! :bounce:

Of course he'll wear it. I insist. ;)

Leo7
08-30-2002, 10:37 PM
Tommy won 61 64 64!:bounce:

a straight set win is just what the doctor ordered. now his shoulder can get some rest! :)

i also heard that interview, Lily. he said that coaching definitely goes on during matches, even tho it's illegal. and he said that he would wear the sleeveless shirt even if they didn't allow it! :) YOU GO TOMMY! don't listen to the USTA and their stupid rules! ;)

Leo7
08-31-2002, 04:11 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020830/capt.1030736531us_open_tennis_xnyf125.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020830/capt.1030740849us_open_tennis_xnyf137.jpg

Lily
08-31-2002, 11:18 AM
Haas living life to the full, on and off court

NEW YORK, Aug 30 (Reuters) - Tommy Haas is happy to push the limits, whether on or off the tennis court.

During the US Open the 24-year-old, who on Friday advanced to the third round with a 6-1 6-4 6-4 win over Karol Kucera, was pictured in a New York newspaper posing naked with a blonde model girlfriend.

Later that same day he became one of the few male players ever to be challenged by officials about the clothing he wore.

John McEnroe once came out on court with black shorts at Wimbledon and was sent off to change them for traditional white. In New York, where usually anything goes, Haas was told to change his sleeveless shirt for something more acceptable.

The muscled shoulder image would have fitted the Hamburg Hunk down to the ground. He is the ATP Tour's action man, doing things that must make those around him cringe with fear that he could end his career with a moment of carelessness or bad luck.

"I'm pretty extreme," Haas said.

"I go hang gliding off the mountains, I like mountain bike riding, I've parachuted, and I flew with the Blue Angels (the US Air Force precision-flying display team), which was a once in a lifetime experience.

"And I like fast cars. I know a lot of people who give me the opportunity to try them out once in a while.

"Anything I get a chance to do and I feel comfortable doing, I'll do it. I've done a lot of crazy things. Sometimes I think you have to live on the edge a little bit to make it exciting.

"Some people don't always agree and ask why I risk my life for something so stupid, which I also agree. But sometimes without risk, it's no fun. I think you only live once."

SAFER INTERESTS

He does also enjoy slightly more sedate pastimes, however.

"I like all kind of sports. Anything to do with a ball I play it -- basketball, soccer, ping pong whatever. Swimming too. I live in Florida so I like to go to the beach and relax, go to the movies, hang out with friends, talk to them."

Among his safer interests he also collects watches and art.

"I like watches. I try to collect them now. I have a watch contract in Germany and they're really nice watches and they're very kind to me and give me a lot of them.

"I'm trying to collect paintings," he said. "I have a few paintings hanging in my house now. They are something that I enjoy looking at and am fascinated by.

"I like Van Gogh...Salvador Dali. They're inspiring but so different. What must have gone through Dali's head to have painted these things?"

Haas still finds time for charity despite such a full life.

"I'm working with World Vision," he said. "It's nice to give something back to these people from third world countries. But it's tough for me with my schedule to get down to Africa and visit the people. If I have a week off, the last thing I want to do is get on another plane.

"It's something, though, that I'll get more and more involved with as my career comes to an end and I'll put as much as I can into it.

"You basically go to the villages and visit people and hang out with them. We learn about their culture and how they live happily with so little. You don't realise when you get angry with small things, it's all so unimportant when you compare what other people have. We can forget how good we have it."

Despite his love of living dangerously, Haas is concerned for those around him. Shortly before Wimbledon his parents were seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, a near-tragedy that affected him badly.

"I try to enjoy life every day and do the best thing that I can, and try to tell people how much I love them and that I care because you really never know when it is too late," he said. "That is something that scares me."

Leo7
08-31-2002, 10:15 PM
thanks for the article, Lily! Haas seems to have a very exciting and interesting life! :)

Leo7
09-02-2002, 12:27 AM
Tommy Haas took the first set off Thomas Enqvist 6-4 in his 3rd round match. :) play will most likely not resume tonight.

lurker
09-02-2002, 02:30 PM
I hope Tommy can finish Enqvist off in three sets today!!! And not go off on his coaches again;)! Seriously, is there talk of him getting fined for even saying that the other day about getting coached during play? I couldn't believe my ears!!

Tommy was also taking in the Blake/Hewitt match the other day...I wonder who he'd rather have seen in the final? I know what I'm hoping...

Go Tommy!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Mazza
09-02-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Lily
Among his safer interests he also collects watches and art.

"I like watches. I try to collect them now. I have a watch contract in Germany and they're really nice watches and they're very kind to me and give me a lot of them.

"I'm trying to collect paintings," he said. "I have a few paintings hanging in my house now. They are something that I enjoy looking at and am fascinated by.

"I like Van Gogh...Salvador Dali. They're inspiring but so different. What must have gone through Dali's head to have painted these things?"
:hearts: I never knew Tommy was into art! :D :D

Thanks for the article! :)

C'mon Tommy! Finish off Enqvist!! :bounce: :bounce:

ILR
09-03-2002, 10:43 AM
C'MON TOMMY!U CAN DO IT!I BELIEVE IN YOU! :kiss: :kiss:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Layla
09-03-2002, 10:51 AM
GOOD LUCK TOMMY!!! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/cheering.gif http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/cheering.gif http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/cheering.gif

Mrs. B
09-03-2002, 11:25 AM
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/arms.gif

TOMMY!!! TOMMY!!! TOMMY!!!

AdriRob
09-03-2002, 12:37 PM
C'mon Tommy, You can Beat Pete

Go tommy:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I wish tommy the best luck in his match with Pete...I know he can beat pete easily in 4 nice sets.

Keep it up man!:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

AdriRob
09-03-2002, 12:39 PM
hey Layla....where did you get the cheerleaders from??

Kool...I loved them....

Leo7
09-03-2002, 08:54 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020903/capt.1031016020.us_open_tennis_xnyf139.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020903/capt.1031012773.us_open_tennis_xnyf127.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020903/i/1031012665.3355623512.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020903/i/1031012534.3758317659.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020901/capt.1030924602.us_open_xnyf143.jpg

the girlfriend Sandy Mayer-Wolden:

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020830/i/1030750028.4161003605.jpg

Leo7
09-03-2002, 08:55 PM
Good Luck tonight against Pete! you beat him in Toronto, you can do it again tonight!

:bounce:

Layla
09-04-2002, 08:45 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

The dream is over.

Well, Tommy put up a brave fight in all his matches, considering his arm. :) Good luck for the rest of the season!

Lily
09-04-2002, 04:36 PM
This was so Tommy's tournament. With the pic and the whole shirt situation, he was trying to shake things up for all the guys. He even made CNN.

Thank you Tommy for trying your best. :)