Wimbledon Seeding - Murray Moans :( [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimbledon Seeding - Murray Moans :(

dodoboy
06-18-2008, 08:35 PM
The Scot, 21, believes he is being indirectly punished for the wrist injury which forced him to miss Wimbledon last year.

"I feel like I am one of the top grass-court players in the world, but because I missed Wimbledon I am going to lose out because of it, which I think is a little bit tough," Murray said.

"I personally think it should just be done on the rankings, which is much easier."

Murray will avoid facing top seeds like Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic in the early rounds, but he knows there are still plenty of other dangerous opponents in the draw.

"If you look at the Australian Open, I played against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the first round, which seemed like a decent draw, and the guy ends up making the final," he said.

"Nowadays there are so many guys who can play well, like Ernests Gulbis, who had a great run at the French Open, so you have just got to try to concentrate on each match.

"You kind of know what is going on around you, but you try not to look too far ahead."

The women's seedings have stuck rigidly to the top 32 in the world rankings as the seeding committee found no special cases for grass court performances.

French Open champion Ana Ivanovic is top seed after taking over first place in the rankings.

The Wimbledon fortnight begins on Monday with the draw being made on Friday.

He does have every right to complain! It seems outrageous!

decrepitude
06-18-2008, 08:37 PM
It doesn't matter a damn whether he is 11 or 12, surely. If he had been put down to 13 it would have made a difference.

Anyway we Brits love to have a bit of a moan about everything.

TMJordan
06-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Murray is a little bitch.

I hope he gets Soderling in round 1 :hearts:

decrepitude
06-18-2008, 08:40 PM
By the way I read somewhere that Andy Roddick is not happy with his seeding either - how come there is no thread about that? :lol:

l_mac
06-18-2008, 08:42 PM
What is Andy talking about?

Like decriptitude said, it hasn't changed the seedings group he is in, so it doesn't matter at all.

I don't often say this but - Shut up, Andy.

Clydey
06-18-2008, 08:43 PM
By the way I read somewhere that Andy Roddick is not happy with his seeding either - how come there is no thread about that? :lol:

Let them have a few digs at Murray. It's one of the few pleasures people like leng jai have left in life. I'm sure he'll be on here shortly calling Murray a moonballer.

rocketassist
06-18-2008, 08:45 PM
It should be done on the rankings anyway.

Sunset of Age
I get the impression that every little word that falls from his mouth is recorded and quoted... let the bloke moan and bitch a bit, it's only human.

Clydey
What is Andy talking about?

Like decriptitude said, it hasn't changed the seedings group he is in, so it doesn't matter at all.

I don't often say this but - Shut up, Andy.

It doesn't matter really, but the Wimbledon seedings are vaguely ridiculous. Baghdatis up to 10th, anyone? I applaud their attempt to create accurate seedings, but come on.

TheBoiledEgg
06-18-2008, 08:46 PM
he's an idiot :rolleyes:

Clydey
06-18-2008, 08:49 PM
I get the impression that every little word that falls from his mouth is recorded and quoted... let the bloke moan and bitch a bit, it's only human.

I get the feeling it will happen a lot to him over the next fortnight. It doesn't matter to his seeding, but Wimbledon might as well do it based on the rankings. Some of seedings are a bit silly.

The only time it realistically should apply would be, say, if Federer dropped to number 2 and Wimbledon was coming up. The other obvious example being Nadal at the French. Baghdatis shouldn't be jumping 15 places to number 10 :lol:

Winston's Human
06-18-2008, 08:50 PM
By what account is Murray a top grass court player?

He has never won a tournament on grass. His best Wimbledon showing is the 4th round, and his best showings at Queens and Nottingham are one quarterfinal appearance at each tournament. Maybe, it is his semifinal showing at Newport?

TheBoiledEgg
06-18-2008, 08:51 PM
when he loses 1st rd, he'll complain why he lost to that person and he should have been seeded diff :rolleyes: and played and lost to some other clown

Taz Warrior
Well he was always going to be in the 9-12 bracket anyway so what's he complaining about - there;s no difference between 9,10,11 and 12 :rolleyes:
Does he think he should be top 8? :scratch:

TMJordan
Any Newport semifinalist should be granted a top 8 seed at Wimbledon.

Clydey
06-18-2008, 08:54 PM
By what account is Murray a top grass court player?

He has never won a tournament on grass. His best Wimbledon showing is the 4th round, and his best showings at Queens and Nottingham are one quarterfinal appearance at each tournament. Maybe, it is his semifinal showing at Newport?

I think it's just based on potential really. I mean, he's not the only one saying it. You just have to look at the betting odds to see that. It's not necessarily based on results, just what he showed before he had matured a little. He beat guys like Roddick and Stepanek quite handily. He also outplayed Nalbandian until he ran out of gas (and that was at his first Wimbledon). So yeah, I think it's based on the assumption that he'll go further once he matures and becomes more consistent.

rocketassist
06-18-2008, 08:54 PM

Santoro should be 4th seed behind the big 3 because he won the Newport GS.

jazar
06-18-2008, 09:01 PM
what a twat. the seedings cant be done based on each individual players perception of themselves

l_mac
06-18-2008, 09:02 PM
what a twat. the seedings cant be done based on each individual players perception of themselves

:haha:

rocketassist
06-18-2008, 09:03 PM

Fakervic would be no 1 if that was the case.

Henry Chinaski
06-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Poor old Pics would never be seeded.

And anyway this is the guy that moans about a fucking FRUIT in his autobiography so it's no surprise to see him complaining here.

Clydey
06-18-2008, 09:19 PM
And anyway this is the guy that moans about a fucking FRUIT in his autobiography.

Yeah, he was really serious about that. It wasn't intended as a joke at all.

scarecrows
06-18-2008, 09:30 PM

yeah baby, give Big Dick a seeding :rocker2:

ASP0315
06-18-2008, 09:46 PM
What is else is new with this guy. This guy whines and moans about everything.

Button line he doesn't deserve to be top 10 seeding. If i were the organizers i would make give him between 25th - 32 seeding.

Even if he is seeded in the eight he wouldn't get past third round, Some players like almagro, tiparasevic would easily beat this brat.
So shut up murray.

ryan23
06-18-2008, 09:49 PM
He really is a miserbale little git and Roddick always moans to-both as bad each other=the way those 2 moan they should be playing for wta not atp!

elessar
06-18-2008, 09:54 PM
What is else is new with this guy. This guy whines and moans about everything.

Button line he doesn't deserve to be top 10 seeding. If i were the organizers i would make give him between 25th - 32 seeding.

Even if he is seeded in the eight he wouldn't get past third round, Some players like almagro, tiparasevic would easily beat this brat.
So shut up murray.

:spit: In his entire career, Almagro's only won 1 set at wimbledon and that was in a very tight TB

Il Primo Uomo
06-18-2008, 10:09 PM
If he really feels like one of the top grass court players, I don't see where the problem is. He just should shut his freaking mouth and prove it.

ryan23
06-18-2008, 10:11 PM
If he really feels like one of the top grass court players, I don't see where the problem is. He just should shut his freaking mouth and prove it.

Exactly!

ryan23
06-18-2008, 10:12 PM
We all know whats gonna happen he sais his thumb is fine but when he gets knocked out in round 3/3 he will say oh my thumb was the problem!

scoobs
06-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Excepting the twat comment, for once, I agree with you.

I mean, he was never going to be in the top 8 seeds, his results aren't worthy of that even ignoring the injuries last year, and so it hardly matters if he's seeded 11th, 12th or 9th - he'll end up having to deal with one of the same four players regardless.

Seriously, Andy, give it a rest and complain about things that matter if you must have a whinge. :o

ASP0315
06-18-2008, 10:29 PM
:spit: In his entire career, Almagro's only won 1 set at wimbledon and that was in a very tight TB

it doesn't matter how many sets almagro won or not. The fact is anybody iniside top 100 will knock Murray out in early rounds.

Oh don't underestimate Almagro. He only played wimbledon three times. Three matches prove
nothing He is world number 12 now and is a big threat to wimbledon this year.

BTW Please check Federer record in his first two wimbledon appearences.
He lost in 1st rd his first two wimbledon events in 1999 and 2000. :wavey:

Andi-M
06-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Lol You gotta love Muz!

He is clearly wrong here though. He cant expect a top 8 seeding, even though he is probably a more likely winner than Davydenko or Ferrer.

Shutit Muz and show em on court why you deserve a top 8 seeding. :D

Clydey
06-18-2008, 10:37 PM
it doesn't matter how many sets almagro won or not. The fact is anybody inised top 100 will knock him out in early rounds.

You mean like what happened in previous years? Oh wait, Murray lost to Nalbandian when he was 18, a former Wimbledon finalist, and Baghdatis, who reached the AO final and went on to the Semis at Wimbledon.

Why do I bother trying to reason with someone who can't give an objective opinion?

scoobs
06-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Lol You gotta love Muz!

He is clearly wrong here though. He cant expect a top 8 seeding, even though he is probably a more likely winner than Davydenko or Ferrer.

:yeah:

elessar
06-18-2008, 10:40 PM
it doesn't matter how many sets almagro won or not. The fact is anybody iniside top 100 will knock Murray out in early rounds.

Oh don't underestimate Almagro. He only played wimbledon three times. Three matches prove

BTW Please check Federer lost in 1st rd his first two wimbledon events in 1999 and 2000. :wavey:

:spit: so what happens last year on grass is meaningless but I should look at what happened 8 years ago :worship:

Fact is Almagro has never won a match on grass in his life, suggesting he's a big threat at wimbledon is nothing short of ridiculous ATM and that's coming from a fan of his.

~*BGT*~
06-18-2008, 10:45 PM
It doesn't matter really, but the Wimbledon seedings are vaguely ridiculous. Baghdatis up to 10th, anyone? I applaud their attempt to create accurate seedings, but come on.

It's not like they are just seeding players willy-nilly for kicks and giggles. This is a scientific system. If Murray doesn't have enough points to over take #8.... tough luck. :shrug:

Clydey
06-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Lol You gotta love Muz!

Why does everyone think he's after a top 8 seeding?

He explicitly said that he thinks that seedings should be done according to the rankings. How is that interpreted as wanting a top 8 seeding, given that his ranking is 11?

That said, I have no idea why he's bothered. 12, 11, 10, etc. makes no difference.

scoobs
06-18-2008, 10:48 PM

He explicitly said that he thinks that seedings should be done according to the rankings. How is that interpreted as wanting a top 8 seeding, given that his ranking is 11?

That said, I have no idea why he's bothered. 12, 11, 10, etc. makes no difference.
I have to assume he was after a top 8 seeding because clearly there's no extra advantage to being seeded 9, 10, or 11 over being seeded 12 and, as he's a knowledgeable guy about this sort of thing, he would know this.

I mean, unless he really just felt that he had to moan about *something* this week and this was the best he could do.

Clydey
06-18-2008, 10:48 PM
It's not like they are just seeding players willy-nilly for kicks and giggles. This is a scientific system. If Murray doesn't have enough points to over take #8.... tough luck. :shrug:

I'm not talking about Murray. He should be seeded 11th. Not that it matters, but that is all he said. He said that seedings should be done according to rankings. That cannot be interpreted as him looking for a top 8 seeding.

Like I said, I'm not talking about Murray at the moment. The seedings are a bit daft. Baghdatis and Berdych really shouldn't be jumping up so high. And then you have Davydenko and Ferrer, who didn't budge. It's a bit silly.

ASP0315
06-18-2008, 10:49 PM
You mean like what happened in previous years? Oh wait, Murray lost to Nalbandian when he was 18, a former Wimbledon finalist, and Baghdatis, who reached the AO final and went on to the Semis at Wimbledon.

Why do I bother trying to reason with someone who can't give an objective opinion?

Well i got a question. Well if he is so good. Why didn't he get past round 4 in a slam.? :lol:
Second question all of his 5 career singles titles are Mickey Mouse events. He didn't win single TMS event or reach finals. Why do you expect him to be seeded 8th if he underachieved hin slams and TMS events.
Third when he struggles to beat a 390 th ranked player. You don't expect do much in slams.
fourth this topic is about weather or nor murray should be a top eight seed. The answer is no as simple as that. So try to stay on topic.

Clydey
06-18-2008, 10:52 PM
I have to assume he was after a top 8 seeding because clearly there's no extra advantage to being seeded 9, 10, or 11 over being seeded 12 and, as he's a knowledgeable guy about this sort of thing, he would know this.

I mean, unless he really just felt that he had to moan about *something* this week and this was the best he could do.

There's no need to assume. He stated clearly that he thinks they should be done according to the rankings. Therefore, that would be 11th for him. It's pretty obvious that he's moaning based on the principle of the things, otherwise he wouldn't have said that seedings should reflect the rankings.

Andi-M
06-18-2008, 10:52 PM

I see no probs with it being done according to the rankings and I accept his point.

But he said he is one of the best grasscourters in the world which implies he expects special priveledges to others seeded higher who are not great grasscourt players.

Tnn74
06-18-2008, 10:53 PM
I don' know about Andy (Murray)... :shrug:
but Roddick should have been seeded before Davydenko and Pics...

scoobs
06-18-2008, 10:57 PM
There's no need to assume. He stated clearly that he thinks they should be done according to the rankings. Therefore, that would be 11th for him. It's pretty obvious that he's moaning based on the principle of the things, otherwise he wouldn't have said that seedings should reflect the rankings.
I realise that he said it should be done based on the rankings.

Now he could just be moaning on the principle of the thing but I doubt he would be moaning if the way the Wimbledon seeding works was beneficial to him. And since it has had no discernible impact on his ability to compete in this tournament or disadvantaged him in any way, one wonders why he doesn't just give it a rest :)

Clydey
06-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Well i got a question. Well if he is so good. Why didn't he get past round 4 in a slam.? :lol:
Second question all of his 5 career singles titles are Mickey Mouse events. He didn't win single TMS event or reach finals. Why do you expect him to be seeded 8th if he underachieved hin slams and TMS events.
Third when he struggles to beat a 390 th ranked player. You don't expect do much in slams.
fourth this topic is about weather or nor murray should be a top eight seed. The answer is no as simple as that. So try to stay on topic.

Where did I say that Murray should be ranked in the top 8? Quote me. And don't ignore this part of the post because you can't find the quote. Quote where I said that he should be top 8.

Why didn't he get past round 4? For the same reason as any young player. Lack of maturity. We can forgive the 2005 and 2006 results, as he was young and 4th round isn't bad for an 18 or 19-year-old.

On to 2007, then. He reached the 4th round without dropping a set at the AO 07. He then faced Nadal and outplayed him for large parts. Lost in 5 sets after a few mental lapses. No shame in losing to Nadal. He was 5th in the race until he got injured in Hamburg. Didn't play the French, didn't play Wimbledon and was still getting back to match fitness at the US Open.

On to 2008. He got drawn against Tsonga in the first round, got taken completely by surprise and lost in 4 sets. Tsonga went on to reach the final and destroy Nadal in the process. The French Open 08 was a little disappointing. Then again, Almagro is an excellent clay courter.

Anything else?

Clydey
06-18-2008, 11:01 PM
I realise that he said it should be done based on the rankings.

Now he could just be moaning on the principle of the thing but I doubt he would be moaning if the way the Wimbledon seeding works was beneficial to him. And since it has had no discernible impact on his ability to compete in this tournament or disadvantaged him in any way, one wonders why he doesn't just give it a rest :)

He was wrong to moan. It served no purpose. He should just get on with it. I'm just responding to people thinking that he was after a top 8 seeding, when he clearly wasn't.

Clydey
06-18-2008, 11:02 PM
I see no probs with it being done according to the rankings and I accept his point.

But he said he is one of the best grasscourters in the world which implies he expects special priveledges to others seeded higher who are not great grasscourt players.

No, it didn't. He simply thinks he is one of the best grass courters around. That's his opinion. The fact that he stated clearly how he thnks the seedings should be done, quite blatantly shows that he wasn't looking for a top 8 seeding. He was probably moaning on principle. It served no purpose really, so I don't know why he bothered.

scoobs
06-18-2008, 11:04 PM
He was wrong to moan. It served no purpose. He should just get on with it. I'm just responding to people thinking that he was after a top 8 seeding, when he clearly wasn't.
I wouldn't say he "clearly" wasn't.

He may not have been explicitly saying he should be seeded top 8 but if he thinks it should be done based on the rankings, why he's saying he's one of the best players on grass in the world seems mysterious - surely if it's done based on rankings, it's irrelevant how well he or anyone else is on grass. In fact in the way it is currently done, it is rewarding the best grass players and the basis of his complaint seems to be that he hasn't been rewarded because he was forced out last year.

So neither position that we can discern he might mean (that he wanted to a higher seeding under the seeding system they use taking into account he couldn't play last year, or that it should be done by rankings) is exactly logical because other things he said then suggest that's not quite what he means.

Clydey
06-18-2008, 11:08 PM
I wouldn't say he "clearly" wasn't.

He may not have been explicitly saying he should be seeded top 8 but if he thinks it should be done based on the rankings, why he's saying he's one of the best players on grass in the world seems mysterious - surely if it's done based on rankings, it's irrelevant how well he or anyone else is on grass. In fact in the way it is currently done, it is rewarding the best grass players and the basis of his complaint seems to be that he hasn't been rewarded because he was forced out last year.

So neither position that we can discern he might mean (that he wanted to a higher seeding under the seeding system they use taking into account he couldn't play last year, or that it should be done by rankings) is exactly logical because other things he said then suggest that's not quite what he means.

So what if he said that he thinks he's one of the best players in the world on grass. He almost certainly meant that he shouldn't shoved down the list and punished for missing last year's Wimbledon. In fact, that is exactly what he did say.

The one thing you cannot say is that he was looking for a top 8 seeding. What he said suggests nothing of the sort. In fact, it suggested he wanted to be seeded according to his ranking, not punished for being injured last year.

BigJohn
06-18-2008, 11:09 PM

Murray does not make a lot of sense, but the point you brought up does.

scoobs
06-18-2008, 11:10 PM
So what if he said that he thinks he's one of the best players in the world on grass. He almost certainly meant that he shouldn't shoved down the list and punished for missing last year's Wimbledon. In fact, that is exactly what he did say.

The one thing you cannot say is that he was looking for a top 8 seeding. What he said suggests nothing of the sort. In fact, it suggested he wanted to be seeded according to his ranking, not punished for being injured last year.
Well there you have me at a disadvantage.

I'm looking at what he SAID and looking at the different possible interpretations of that.

I don't happen to have a special insight into what he "almost certainly meant" so I take what he says and what the different possible interpretations you can put upon it, and respond accordingly.

Clydey
06-18-2008, 11:11 PM

Roddick should definitely be seeded ahead of Davy and Ferrer. The fact that he's not seeded 4th just makes a mockery of Wimbledon's seeding system.

Clydey
06-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Well there you have me at a disadvantage.

I'm looking at what he SAID and looking at the different possible interpretations of that.

I don't happen to have a special insight into what he "almost certainly meant" so I take what he says and what the different possible interpretations you can put upon it, and respond accordingly.

"Seedings should be sorted according to rankings".

Right away you can discard the idea that he wanted a top 8 seeding. Everything else is up for interpretation, but suggesting that he was after a top 8 seeding is illogical. There's obviously another reason for his moan, but looking for a top 8 seeding is not one of them.

vamosnadal
06-18-2008, 11:15 PM
(I realise I'm repeating people, but nevertheless, my opinion would be....)

You can't moan at your seeding considering it based entirely upon a calculation of points you have earned. As for complaining that the ranking should be used - it's funny how nobody suggests this when the seeding system helps them out. He has moved down one position, which will have no impact upon his place in the draw whatsoever...stop the bloody irrelevant moaning!! As for Roddick, this seeding system has helped you out in the past Mr - so again, hush now! If you wanted to be higher, you should have earned more points!!

~*BGT*~
06-18-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm not talking about Murray. He should be seeded 11th. Not that it matters, but that is all he said. He said that seedings should be done according to rankings. That cannot be interpreted as him looking for a top 8 seeding.

Like I said, I'm not talking about Murray at the moment. The seedings are a bit daft. Baghdatis and Berdych really shouldn't be jumping up so high. And then you have Davydenko and Ferrer, who didn't budge. It's a bit silly.

Roddick should definitely be seeded ahead of Davy and Ferrer. The fact that he's not seeded 4th just makes a mockery of Wimbledon's seeding system.

I'm a big fan of Roddick, but I don't agree that he deserves a top 4 seeding. He deserves a top 4 seeding if he has enough ranking points to earn it. He plays among the fewest tournaments among the top 10 and misses a great majority of the Masters Series events. If he wanted a higher ranking, he'd play more. :rolleyes: It was his decision to not play Madrid and Paris last year and MC this year.

Besides, he's 700 points behind Pics. Exactly, how is he supposed to make that up? :lol:

~*BGT*~
06-18-2008, 11:19 PM
(I realise I'm repeating people, but nevertheless, my opinion would be....)

You can't moan at your seeding considering it based entirely upon a calculation of points you have earned. As for complaining that the ranking should be used - it's funny how nobody suggests this when the seeding system helps them out. He has moved down one position, which will have no impact upon his place in the draw whatsoever...stop the bloody irrelevant moaning!! As for Roddick, this seeding system has helped you out in the past Mr - so again, hush now! If you wanted to be higher, you should have earned more points!!

I haven't seen any article or quote from him complaining about his seeding, so I don't know what you're talking about. He said he's happy to be under the radar this year. :shrug:

Sallydaisy
06-18-2008, 11:25 PM
This is so going round in circles.
Get some journo type to ask him to clarify exactly what he meant.

Then we'd really know whether there is something to bash him about. :cool:

vamosnadal
06-18-2008, 11:37 PM
I haven't seen any article or quote from him complaining about his seeding, so I don't know what you're talking about. He said he's happy to be under the radar this year. :shrug:

Someone said that Roddick had also been moaning about his seeding. If that's not true and he hasn't complained, then apologies and obviously my post no longer applies to him - just Murray instead. :):):)

GlennMirnyi
06-19-2008, 12:04 AM

Almagro is a carpet/grass/hard mug. Sorry mate, can't agree with any of this.

dam0dred
06-19-2008, 12:12 AM
I think a lot of people forget that Wimbledon doesn't just randomly assign seeds to players like they used to. There is a mathematical formula used that takes into account rank and performance on grass over the last two or three years (I can't remember exactly). It's a completely impartial process and really I think quite a fair one.

If only someone in Murray's camp would just tell him what a complete wanker he sounds like every time he opens his mouth.

Rafa = Fed Killa
06-19-2008, 12:45 AM
it doesn't matter how many sets almagro won or not.The fact is anybody iniside top 100 will knock Murray out in early rounds.

Fedtards have 0 tennis knowledge as expertly proven above.

ASP0315
06-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Almagro is a carpet/grass/hard mug. Sorry mate, can't agree with any of this.

not a problem. :p

GlennMirnyi
06-19-2008, 01:26 AM
not a problem. :p

I also don't think Almugro ever went over the 2nd round outside clay on slams. ;)

ASP0315
06-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Fedtards have 0 tennis knowledge as expertly proven above.

:lol: and this
is coming from a fakertard who has 0 knowledge himself. :lol:

ASP0315
06-19-2008, 01:31 AM
I also don't think Almugro ever went over the 2nd round outside clay on slams. ;)

well in an year or so. You will see what almugro is made up off. ;)

GlennMirnyi
06-19-2008, 01:31 AM
I'll take my chances that Almugro is a total and utter mug. :p

ASP0315
06-19-2008, 01:38 AM
I'll take my chances that Almugro is a total and utter mug. :p

radek stepanek was pretty much garbage 5 years ago. His breakthrough came in 2006.
I'm pretty much sure Almagro will improve. :p

GlennMirnyi
06-19-2008, 01:48 AM
radek stepanek was pretty much garbage 5 years ago. His breakthrough came in 2006.
I'm pretty much sure Almagro will improve. :p

But Stepanek isn't a brainless ballbasher who can't return. ;)

JediFed
06-19-2008, 02:17 AM
I think the rankings should work that way.

If a player believes he is number 1, he should be ranked there.

If everybody selects the number one position the seeding would be done at random. How could anyone complain about that?

Knightmace
06-19-2008, 03:47 AM
Murray. :(

jazar
06-19-2008, 06:47 AM
well in an year or so. You will see what almugro is made up off. ;)

he's made of clay

nkhera1
06-19-2008, 08:57 AM
This fool should just be thankful the Wimbledon committee didn't make Oscar Hernandez the #1 based on potential because then it really would have affected Murray.

Mimi
06-19-2008, 09:01 AM
:haha: actually why Oscar is being called the wimby king? :confused:This fool should just be thankful the Wimbledon committee didn't make Oscar Hernandez the #1 based on potential because then it really would have affected Murray.

Turquoise
06-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Strictly as a matter of principle, Murray has a point about being treated on the same basis as a first round loser last year, with no due consideration given to his injury which forced him to miss the tournament.

Having said that, he was being a little self-indulgent, as his seeding relative to his ranking makes no difference. Shut up and play, Andy :hug:

It might however be a valid argument for someone being ranked 32 who ends up not being seeded at all.

T2KN
06-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Murray is such a nag; it aggravates me. :rolleyes: I bet he was one of those kids who fall to the floor in the supermarket screaming like a tortured pig when they don't get what they want.

pesto
06-19-2008, 09:40 AM
I think there is merit in tweaking the rankings to reflect grass competence

However, the system is flawed in giving prominence to results from 12 - 24 months ago - it disadvantages those who were injured or out of form a while back, rather than taking account of current form, and may also underestimate a young player in their breakthrough year.

But Andy Murray has nothing to moan about, and if he is as good on grass as he thinks, he'll probably benefit from the system in future.

I suppose that continuous complaining suits his greeting face though - each should concentrate on his own strengths, eh?

scoobs
06-19-2008, 09:44 AM
:lol: well colour you bitchy! :)

Consigliere
06-19-2008, 09:57 AM

But it would be fun if they were:D

The Pro
06-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Oh for fuck's sake Andy give it a rest.

12 is fair. :rolleyes:

Why don't you PROVE you deserve better! :)

Duncan
06-19-2008, 01:24 PM
It should be done on rankings.

Having Marcos as number 10 seed is a joke.

He will be out 1st or 2nd round.

Berdych as 11 is also lame

Burrow
06-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Murray talks rubbish

RogandyFan
06-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Murray talks rubbish

Do they have the transcript of the interview? It will be interesting to see how the journalist frame the questions. I would be very surprised if the question didn't suggest that kind of negative answer. Andy Murray has to learn to detect that kind of trap and not fall into it. I think almost everyone here agrees that giving Baggy 10th seed is overdoing it.

Clydey
06-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Do they have the transcript of the interview? It will be interesting to see how the journalist frame the questions. I would be very surprised if the question didn't suggest that kind of negative answer. Andy Murray has to learn to detect that kind of trap and not fall into it. I think almost everyone here agrees that giving Baggy 10th seed is overdoing it.

I'm inclined to agree. His quotes were printed without context. Everyone is assuming he wants a top 8 seeding, despiting say he doesn't. I'd like to know the questions that led to his so-called conflicting answers. The journalist may very well have asked him about his chances, to which he responded that he felt that he was one of the top grass courters.

It's remarkable that some people still give journalists the benefit of the doubt, when they routinely take quotes out of the context. The whole anti-English controversy a few years ago was a prime example of how they have tended to twist his words.

NinaNina19
06-19-2008, 04:52 PM
I remember reading a Kirilenko interview after she beat Chakvetadze at AO 2008 and I thought what a bitch. She was quoted as saying "I was always so much better than her, so when I lost to her at Indian Wells, I was like so pissed" or something like that and then when I watched the interview 5 months later, she came off completely different than how the reporter depicted her. She complimented Chakvetadze many times and was only answering reporter's questions but the article made her seem like a complete bitch. I'm pretty sure Murray's words were taken out of context. There are like 5 new articles on him a day. Reporters need something to write about so they rearrange what he says to make it seem like something he doesn't mean.

Dimitra
06-19-2008, 05:13 PM

how is it overdoing it when it is solely based on the wimbledon formula?:confused::rolleyes: It's not like they nitpicked him,his grasscourt results were good enough to pass over other players' ranking points :shrug: I hope he really lives up to his ranking to shut up everyone here.:o

sportsbag
06-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Poor Murray. Everything he says and does is put under the spotlight and picked over.

Maybe he just gave away some disappointment that he wasn't in the top 10 (though it doesn't make a difference) and consequently the media have jumped all over him, with the Telegraph describing him as 'unhappy' whilst in the Metro he was'seething' Typical British media.

Hopefully he'll learn (well he is the second youngest in age in the top 20; and he is the most recent player to turn pro in the top 20) so he has time on his side.

Though I wish he'd just let his tennis do the talking.

Matt01
06-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Poor Murray.

He will probably lose early, anyway.

Corey Feldman
06-19-2008, 06:43 PM
I lobe you Muzza but sometimes, please STFU.

*snowflake*
06-19-2008, 07:29 PM
If he feels that he's one of the top grass-court players in the world, seeding shouldn't be a problem. Looks like his whiney ass thinks that he's entitled to something he never even proved he deserved. GTFOH!

Allez
06-19-2008, 08:05 PM
What else is new ? It wasn't too long ago that Murray was saying how grass is not his favourite surface and people should not expect him to do well at Wimbledon and now he's moaning for being the 12th seed ? Get out of here Murray. Get out.

dodoboy
06-19-2008, 08:24 PM
I remember reading a Kirilenko interview after she beat Chakvetadze at AO 2008 and I thought what a bitch. She was quoted as saying "I was always so much better than her, so when I lost to her at Indian Wells, I was like so pissed" or something like that and then when I watched the interview 5 months later, she came off completely different than how the reporter depicted her. She complimented Chakvetadze many times and was only answering reporter's questions but the article made her seem like a complete bitch. I'm pretty sure Murray's words were taken out of context. There are like 5 new articles on him a day. Reporters need something to write about so they rearrange what he says to make it seem like something he doesn't mean.

Good point/

scoobs
06-19-2008, 08:28 PM

You make an excellent point.

When an interview is transcribed into written form you lose a huge amount of information - about how something was said, what context it was said in, the body language of the speaker.

And it becomes very easy for people to take the words and see them through the filter of their own assumptions about the person in question.

Ouragan
06-19-2008, 08:56 PM

Laugh Out Loud :toothy:

Merton
06-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Totally pointless, Wimbledon will not abandon their surface seeding and now that they have a transparent formula in place it is unlikely that they will go back to arbitrary seedings and just make Murray, seeded, say as #8.

jazar
06-19-2008, 09:17 PM
But it would be fun if they were:D

so having 32 number 1 seeds would be fun?

jazar
06-19-2008, 09:18 PM
I bet he was one of those kids who fall to the floor in the supermarket screaming like a tortured pig when they don't get what they want.

he still is like that

BigJohn
06-19-2008, 10:48 PM
he still is like that

:)

Perhaps we should all be a little bit more understanding with Murray's moaning. I mean, it must be difficult to have a good positive day when each morning, the first face you see in the mirror is his...

I know I'd bitch, moan and be cranky all day everyday if I had his face as my face. It is nothing short of a handicap, a disability.

Considering the major hurdle that is his face, his achievements are already remarkable and he is an example of courage in the (ugly) face of adversity.

So moan away Andy, I understand.

JediFed
06-19-2008, 10:58 PM
so having 32 number 1 seeds would be fun?

If they were all in the same quarter? :D It would be HILARIOUS.

Corey Feldman
06-19-2008, 11:11 PM

Perhaps we should all be a little bit more understanding with Murray's moaning. I mean, it must be difficult to have a good positive day when each morning, the first face you see in the mirror is his...

I know I'd bitch, moan and be cranky all day everyday if I had his face as my face. It is nothing short of a handicap, a disability.

Considering the major hurdle that is his face, his achievements are already remarkable and he is an example of courage in the (ugly) face of adversity.

So moan away Andy, I understand.Thats a gay icon you are talking about there ;)

Clydey
06-19-2008, 11:32 PM

So moan away Andy, I understand.

Have you seen his girlfriend? No idea how he managed to land her with a mug like that.

I'd hit it.

fast_clay
06-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Have you seen his girlfriend? No idea how he managed to land her with a mug like that.

I'd hit it.

yeah... i hear ya... i wouldnt kick her outta bed for farting...

hot...

BigJohn
06-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Yeah... funny how often good looking girls fall for the "inner beauty", aka wallet, of an ugly guy. ;)

Clydey
06-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Yeah... funny how often good looking girls fall for the "inner beauty", aka wallet, of an ugly guy. ;)

Nah, that's the strange thing. They started going out before he came to the public's attention or had any money. They met around the time he won the US Open juniors. Maybe he's got dirt on her and is blackmailing her :confused:

BigJohn
06-20-2008, 02:32 AM
My bad. But since Ronaldo (the one from Brazil)started scoring with supermodels, I have doubts about those odd couples...

NinaNina19
06-20-2008, 02:35 AM
His gf and him met in 2005 at the USO before Murray was super rich. Her dad's a coach and works for the LTA, she seems like a nice girl. Maybe she likes him for his personality?

fast_clay
06-20-2008, 02:41 AM
Maybe she likes him for his personality?

are you saying andy's ugly...? :eek:

:drink: i heard his girl is on the plonk most days... explains a bit...

BigJohn
06-20-2008, 02:59 AM
His gf and him met in 2005 at the USO before Murray was super rich. Her dad's a coach and works for the LTA, she seems like a nice girl. Maybe she likes him for his personality?

When good girls like ugly bad boys... didn't think about that. ;)

Good point.

NinaNina19
06-20-2008, 03:20 AM
are you saying andy's ugly...? :eek:

:drink: i heard his girl is on the plonk most days... explains a bit...

He's not, but you guys are suggesting that if he was she wouldn't at least like him for his personality.

fast_clay
06-20-2008, 03:32 AM
nah... he's not ugly i don't reckon...

he's just a right proper hard scot... been in a few fights is all... just of a bit hail damage...

anyways... its not murrays fault that the norse came and robbed all the hotties and dropped off all the redheads with freckles years ago... i feel his pain...

Clydey
06-20-2008, 05:02 AM
He's not, but you guys are suggesting that if he was she wouldn't at least like him for his personality.

I don't actually. There are far worse out there. He looks far better now that he shaves.

pesto
06-20-2008, 09:47 AM
His facial bone structure is still maturing. He looks much less dysmorphic than he did a year or so back.

BigJohn
06-20-2008, 11:37 AM
His facial bone structure is still maturing. He looks much less dysmorphic than he did a year or so back.

I did not notice.

groundstroke
06-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Murray looks like the main guy from Gregory's Girl. :lol:

BigJohn
06-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Murray looks like the main guy from Gregory's Girl. :lol:

And also to a certain extent, Gollum.