Is Carlos Boluda the one to watch? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Carlos Boluda the one to watch?

Bazooka
06-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I hope this thread gets floated up in a couple years if I am right... :angel:

ITF profile, impressive playing activity:

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/players/player.asp?player=100091109

This is his ATP profile, still blank now:

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/default.asp?playersearch=boluda

Telegraph article last year:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2007/04/15/stwhit15.xml

See him playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxmRUhUdXDs&feature=related

l_mac
06-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Yes, you are the first person to mention Boluda on these boards - maybe even the entire internet!

Well done.

Andre♥
06-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Yes, you are the first person to mention Boluda on these boards - maybe even the entire internet!

Well done.

:haha:

Collective
06-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Does Xristos have a profile already?

scarecrows
06-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Jan Silva is

sheeter
06-18-2008, 04:24 PM
He definitely favors his forehand.

*snowflake*
06-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Boludo lol j/p

Well that's nice...would be even better if he could grow a few inches, 165cm is really short.

scoobs
06-18-2008, 04:26 PM
He has the best forehand in the open era.

scarecrows
06-18-2008, 04:40 PM
He has the best forehand in the open era.

and is sustained from a 2 handed BH

GlennMirnyi
06-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Nobody cares about Boludo.

FiBeR
06-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Boluda :haha:

what a funny name!

just topped Schwank :spit:

:worship:

Sagiel
06-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Jan Silva is

I can't see why lol

Oh and guys like Tomic, Boluda the young D.Young have rather large followings here, mostly because their age and achievements, whether they live up to the hype or not is an entirely different issue, it's still fun to track their careers.

GlennMirnyi
06-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Boludo, Schwanker... what's next?

peterparker
06-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Nadal's comments are the most relevant. Not a lot of footage on the internets. Interested in seeing more.

alfonsojose
06-18-2008, 06:02 PM
John Eatcum is better :lol:

habibko
06-18-2008, 06:06 PM
are all new-comers with two-handed backhand now?

casabe
06-18-2008, 06:11 PM
lol mariano martinez is his coach....an argentine actor

amierin
06-18-2008, 06:31 PM
I think it was John LLoyd who was talking him up recently. There is some buzz around the kid. Thanks for the video.

Hugh Jaas
06-18-2008, 06:33 PM
He he related to this upcoming pro???

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/player.asp?player=100047490

octatennis
06-18-2008, 06:34 PM
obviously hi is going to be the one to watch, if he is lucky he will have a good career like nicolas pereira. :devil:

*snowflake*
06-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Lmao @ Gaylord and Eatcum...poor guys, but i have a feeling that they'd get along pretty well :p

NyGeL
06-18-2008, 08:23 PM
this isn't the first topic about him...

I hope to see him in Buenos Aires playing Davis Cup and hear the fans shouting "BOLUDOOOO, BOLUDOOOO"

Boreas
06-19-2008, 08:23 AM
He lost to Golubovic:haha: Maybe he can win a Future tournament one day, nothing more:spit:

scarecrows
06-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Wimbledon juniors

Tomic def Boluda 6-2 6-1

guess grass isnt his best surface

finishingmove
06-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Wimbledon juniors

Tomic def Boluda 6-2 6-1

guess grass isnt his best surface

really?? a guy named carlos? im shocked

Nathaliia
06-28-2008, 01:50 PM
yeah that was harsh

Deivid23
06-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Expected thrashing from Tomic, I think Boluda has played like 0 matches on grass ever. But let the kid grow, he should be a special player if his body can help his talent

IAMlegend
06-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Boluda's last name is actually Purkiss:confused:
In other Juniors news this kid from Thailand Kittipong Wachiramanowon
also lost. (Yeah, I had to cut and paste, so....:p) RYAN HARRISON American Tennis next great hope.

DDrago2
06-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Budha is the one to listen but I don't know if Boluda is the one to watch :lol:

n8
10-01-2009, 12:51 AM
He looked so impressive in youtube videos but hasn't done much lately. Although he is the second youngest player in the top 1100 (after Suk-Young Jeong - KOR).

duong
10-01-2009, 06:05 AM
He looked so impressive in youtube videos but hasn't done much lately. Although he is the second youngest player in the top 1100 (after Suk-Young Jeong - KOR).

Tomic is only 3 months older and has achieved far far more.

in juniors grand slams, Boluda has always lost between 1st round and R16.

Berta who is only 2 months older has at least won RG.

n8
10-01-2009, 06:19 AM
Tomic is only 3 months older and has achieved far far more.

in juniors grand slams, Boluda has always lost between 1st round and R16.

Berta who is only 2 months older has at least won RG.

Yep. Tomic, Bhambri, Berta, Harrison and Mina are the ones who are performing the best at the moment from the '92/early '93 generation.

One to two years ago I would have tipped Boluda to be up with these names for sure, but so far it hasn't been the case.

Smoke944
10-01-2009, 06:20 AM
Yep. Tomic, Bhambri, Berta, Harrison and Mina are the ones who are performing the best at the moment from the '92/early '93 generation.

One to two years ago I would have tipped Boluda to be up with these names for sure, but so far it hasn't been the case.

You are forgetting Krajinovic, who is doing the best of all currently.

n8
10-01-2009, 06:30 AM
You are forgetting Krajinovic, who is doing the best of all currently.

You're right. I missed him because he didn't come up in the top 50 youngest guys in the rankings (a list option on my website (http://statracket.net/?)). But, yes, he is the highest ranked player born 1992 onwards.

duong
10-01-2009, 08:18 AM

yes apart from Krajinovic one precision : Mina (who is the oldest of these ones) has only performed in juniors, nothing else. And one year later than Tomic, Krajinovic, Bhambri, Harrison.

And Berta (who is younger than Mina actually) the same.

Tomic, Bhambri, Harrison, the 3 semifinalists of Melbourne junior 2008 (all of them were less than 16 years old, Tomic the youngest -and winner- 15 years and 3 months), plus Krajinovic -who also performed in juniors in 2008- clearly have had something more so far.

duong
10-01-2009, 08:20 AM
You're right. I missed him because he didn't come up in the top 50 youngest guys in the rankings (a list option on my website (http://statracket.net/?)). But, yes, he is the highest ranked player born 1992 onwards.

Krajinovic has played far more than Tomic and still has less points than him in the Race.

Ad Wim
10-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Tomic has his ranking only because of an easy draw in Melbourne and 1 good run in a challenger afterwards. After that, he has done nothing on the Tour, so the question is where he stands in February next year.

duong
10-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Tomic has his ranking only because of an easy draw in Melbourne and 1 good run in a challenger afterwards. After that, he has done nothing on the Tour

because he played very little :shrug:

Krajinovic played far more : you can say he won more but you can also say he lost more ;) ... and the results he had in challengers were also in poor ones.

Actually Bhambri also played few tournaments and had very good results. Harrison started his year quite late and also had quite good results when he competed.

Anyway, all of these players have been good, not "new Aaron Krickstein" but still good (better than their preceding generations), but Tomic has had a little bit more in all of his carreer so far (including being the youngest one).

Radalek
10-01-2009, 10:41 AM

Actually he's not only highest ranked among players born in 1992, he has better ranking than all 1991 players too.

Krajinovic played far more : you can say he won more but you can also say he lost more ;) ... and the results he had in challengers were also in poor ones.

Actually Bhambri also played few tournaments and had very good results. Harrison started his year quite late and also had quite good results when he competed.

Anyway, all of these players have been good, not "new Aaron Krickstein" but still good (better than their preceding generations), but Tomic has had a little bit more in all of his carreer so far (including being the youngest one).

Tomic also had 2 slam wild cards though and is in better position coming from Australia and having their support. But they are both bright prospects and I hope they both succeed.
Having this new wave of talents also brings interesting comparation to previous ones and how the appear almost every 4/5 years. Federer, Hewitt, Safin, Roddick generation born in less than 2 years apart. Few "dry" years after that and then Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro born in less than 2 years apart. Then again no notable talents before generation '91/'92. I find that pattern interesting.

n8
10-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Krajinovic has played far more than Tomic and still has less points than him in the Race.

Race? Hardly the best measure for players prodiminantly playing Challengers/Futures.

Agreed.:)

Actually he's not only highest ranked among players born in 1992, he has better ranking than all 1991 players too.

Tomic also had 2 slam wild cards though and is in better position coming from Australia and having their support. But they are both bright prospects and I hope they both succeed.
Having this new wave of talents also brings interesting comparation to previous ones and how the appear almost every 4/5 years. Federer, Hewitt, Safin, Roddick generation born in less than 2 years apart. Few "dry" years after that and then Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro born in less than 2 years apart. Then again no notable talents before generation '91/'92. I find that pattern interesting.

Nice stat! In fact only Federico del Bonis (ranked 223) and Guillaume Rufin (ranked 264) are higher than him from players born in 1990! Although Klein (ranked 205) was born on the very last day of 1989.

The pattern of talented players being born close together is very interesting but (I would assume) completely coincidental.

duong
10-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Race? Hardly the best measure for players prodiminantly playing Challengers/Futures.

now what we call the "Race" means the "number of points since the 1st of january", and includes challengers and futures,

as the previous "ATP Race" is dead :

we kept the concept of starting from the beginning of the civil year rather than considering the previous 52 weeks as the ATP rankings do.

Forehander
10-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Forehand still a bit wristy in technique. Years to come his flexibility will improve.

petar_pan
10-01-2009, 12:54 PM

he was 6. in the world.

petar_pan
10-01-2009, 12:57 PM

you forgott cilic. btw, he will be better player than del potro.

petar_pan
10-01-2009, 01:01 PM
tomic was 295. at age of 16 years, 10 months (that was month before) and krajinovic was 293. at age of 17 years, 7 months (that was week before).
tomic is 306. now and krajinovic is 297.
so tomic is almost one year ahead of him.

*bunny*
10-01-2009, 04:26 PM
I've been interested in the progress of Carlos Boluda since I heard he has a game like JCF's. :)
But he seems still rather short even for a 16-year old of his biographical informaiton on this year's Wimbledon site is correct (165cm). Sure that information may be old and even if it's correct some boys grow later than others, so I'll wait and look forward to seeing him play in maybe three or four years.

Nice stat! In fact only Federico del Bonis (ranked 223) and Guillaume Rufin (ranked 264) are higher than him from players born in 1990! Although Klein (ranked 205) was born on the very last day of 1989.
Which means Klein is just two days younger than Nishikori! (They seem quite different in their personalities though. lol)
The pattern of talented players being born close together is very interesting but (I would assume) completely coincidental.
Yeah. Although completely coincidental, it's very interesting, like Goran and El-Aynaoui, Safin and Ferrero, Nalbandan and Coria, Rafa and Gasquet, Murray and Djkovic, and JMDP and Cilic, those pairs were all born within days or at least within a month from each other.

duong
10-01-2009, 04:30 PM
But he seems still rather short even for a 16-year old of his biographical informaiton on this year's Wimbledon site is correct (165cm). Sure that information may be old and even if it's correct some boys grow later than others, so I'll wait and look forward to seeing him play in maybe three or four years.

I read 1.75 m in a more recent information.

Anyway it's quite small at 16.5 years.

On the opposite, Tomic or Krajinovic may be a little bit too tall :lol:

*bunny*
10-01-2009, 04:40 PM
I read 1.75 m in a more recent information.

Anyway it's quite small at 16.5 years.

On the opposite, Tomic or Krajinovic may be a little bit too tall :lol:
Thanx. 175cm at 16 1/2 isn't bad. He's already as tall as Ferrer or Grosjean and he has at least two more years or even longer to grow.

petar_pan
10-01-2009, 04:47 PM
I've been interested in the progress of Carlos Boluda since I heard he has a game like JCF's. :)

Which means Klein is just two days younger than Nishikori! (They seem quite different in their personalities though. lol)

Yeah. Although completely coincidental, it's very interesting, like Goran and El-Aynaoui, Safin and Ferrero, Nalbandan and Coria, Rafa and Gasquet, Murray and Djkovic, and JMDP and Cilic, those pairs were all born within days or at least within a month from each other.

goran and sampras too.

FiBeR
10-01-2009, 04:48 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dh82q_7P8oc/RdyuKW8Y5WI/AAAAAAAAAVc/Gv536CzjLYc/s400/boluda99.jpg

FiBeR
10-01-2009, 04:53 PM
RSuNTrlOpgg