Rafa completes the Borgian double slam- Champion of Wimbledon and Roland Garros!!!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa completes the Borgian double slam- Champion of Wimbledon and Roland Garros!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

tennizen
06-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Rafa hope you are third time lucky:yeah:

Other notes: Thread starter: Hema (check)
Borg in thread title (check)

Disclaimer: Because of my thread starting success at RG, I have been asked to open the thread for Wimbly:scared::unsure: This is too much pression for me:scared: I promise not to start another thread if Nadal doesn't reach atleast the semi's here:lol:. If he loses either in semis/final then I will not start a GS thread for a long time:lol: If he wins, I will be the Borg of thread-starters:dance:

T2KN
06-16-2008, 01:26 PM
God, I hope he wins. So bad.

cmurray
06-16-2008, 01:40 PM
:hug: Hema. I think the Borg thing will do it. :yeah:

BTW. Metis? Put me down for the big WWWWIIIINNNNN for wimby. What can I say? :shrug: I'm feeling optimistic.

Metis
06-16-2008, 01:58 PM
:banana: :lol:

I say QF but I might change my mind after the draw is out...

How far will Rafa go in Wimbledon? (200 points at stake) :unsure:

1st - adee-gee
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF - Metis, tennizen
SF -
F - yana, NaDALiTa
W- cmurray, Foxy, GuiroNl, hra87, Luvyoyoma1954, rafa maniac, tennischeto

Current standings after Queens: :dance:

GuiroNl __________560
nashty___________560
Xoman___________560

Getta____________505
NaDaLiTa_________505

cmurray _________ 500

Blaze-2004 _______460
Foxy ____________460
hra87 ___________460
MariaV___________460
raven_gypsy______ 460
Tnn74 ___________460

scarecrows _______400
tangerine_dream ___400

spriwi____________345

elessar___________300
M.C. _____________300
Luvyoyoma1954____300
tennischeto________300
TMJordan _________300

Denisse __________260
The Pro __________260

rafa_maniac_______200
Tess Gray_________200
Xristos ___________200

platinum__________160

acionescu_________100
Heavenseventeen___100
tennizen__________100

Agassi Fan_________60

cmurray
06-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Metis, you ALWAYS say quarter-finals. :( Such a pessimist. :lol:

Metis
06-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Metis, you ALWAYS say quarter-finals. :( Such a pessimist. :lol:

It's the hype and enthousiasm in GM that gets to me and makes me worry. :sad: Or maybe it's Linda's influence. :mad:

:lol:

Foxy
06-16-2008, 02:36 PM
I will quietly predict the WIN. Shhhhhhht.

tennizen
06-16-2008, 02:51 PM
I will say QF but will give my final prediction after the draw.

l_mac
06-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Rafa is completely draw dependent at Wimbledon. And also completely dependent on his opponents playing a poor tactical match. :shrug:

I'll wait till the draw and see if he manages only to draw the likes of Cipolla, Hernandez etc or tactical masterminds like Blake before I give my prediction.

mallorn
06-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Rafa is completely draw dependent at Wimbledon. And also completely dependent on his opponents playing a poor tactical match. :shrug:
:sad: :scared:

Nadal set for pre-Wimbledon match

Newly-crowned Queen's champion Rafael Nadal will play one final match on grass before competing at Wimbledon.

The world number two will play Marat Safin in an exhibition match at the Fortis Tennis Classic on Friday at the Hurlingham Club in south west London.

Nadal took the Artois title with a 7-6 (8-6) 7-5 win over Novak Djokovic seven days after winning the French Open.

"I'm a little bit tired but I think with a few days' rest I'm going to be ready for Wimbledon," said Nadal.

"And if not, it does not matter, because Wimbledon is very important and the motivation is 100%."

The 22-year-old Spaniard is aiming to become the first man to win Roland Garros and Wimbledon in the same year since Sweden's Bjorn Borg managed the feat in 1980.

"I've made it to two Wimbledon finals so sure, I can win, but it's a lot of work," said Nadal.

The other leading names at Hurlingham will be Tomas Berdych, Tommy Haas and James Blake.

• Spain's Carlos Moya, Argentines Juan Monaco and Juan Ignacio Chela, and Japan's Akiko Morigami have pulled out of Wimbledon with injuries.

They will be replaced by Argentines Martin Vassallo Arguello and Brian Dabul, Croatian Roko Karanusic, and Renato Voracova of the Czech Republic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7457021.stm

hra87
06-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Win. I wanted to say win for queen's, but my head got the better of me. WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN.

yana
06-16-2008, 07:12 PM
I say Final cos Feddy seem to start playing in the GOAT style again :(

Metis, shouldn't you give some points to the ones which were close in their prediction? :crying2:

Efkaristo :p

l_mac
06-16-2008, 08:44 PM
I think I read in The Times today that rafa will be blogging again this year for them. :D

Metis
06-17-2008, 12:06 AM
I say Final cos Feddy seem to start playing in the GOAT style again :(

Metis, shouldn't you give some points to the ones which were close in their prediction? :crying2:

Efkaristo :p

:hug: the rules are clear; my hands are tied. :sad:

I think I read in The Times today that rafa will be blogging again this year for them. :D

The guy loves his blogs :lol:

hra87
06-17-2008, 05:05 AM
The guy loves his blogs :lol:

I don't know what's wrong with me, every time I read one of his blogs I think "wow, does Rafa have no personality at all or is his life just this boring," but I make sure to read all of his entries anyway.

Luvyoyoma1954@co
06-17-2008, 06:53 AM
I don't know what's wrong with me, every time I read one of his blogs I think "wow, does Rafa have no personality at all or is his life just this boring," but I make sure to read all of his entries anyway.

I find his blogs charming and full of things from a full yet normal life. He speaks of people who touch his life outside of tennis.

Luvyoyoma1954@co
06-17-2008, 06:56 AM
I pick Rafa to win Wimbledon.

the_natural
06-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Ughh I feel bad omens (hopefully a good sign), i mean everything has aligned perfectly, won queens in brilliant style against the toughest opponents, then swiss girl wins Halle so people think ominous for both in the wimbledon final but i really feel if rafa meets djoko or some other dangerous floater even roddick he could loss at wimbledon, things just look too perfect and i know people wanna kill rafa for the clay season, even if he makes the final im worried that hes gonna face the swiss and that the thumping at RG would have motivated the swiss to return the favour and THAT is f@#$ing scary...

In reality never seen rafa play this well on any surface other than clay, never so aggressive and just so natural i mean he coulda beaten tsonga in australia with this level of play but It just all fits too perfect for me to be comfortable... I just fear that something may come up outta nowhere ala robert kendrick 06... just hope he has a great draw FOR ONCE, and Nole is on the other side cos i dont know if he can beat Nole over 5 sets or even roddick on grass, even though hes playing the best grass court tennis ive ever seen him play and hes playing better than anyone else on grass, he made nole look like a lightweight (even though it was very tight and could have gone the otherway), still all this pressure on rafa cos hes the favourite blah Blah blah aggghhh its not a good sign.

Plus borg said he would win and he said swiss miss would be the goat if he won RG this year and beleived he had it in him sooo..... arghhhhhhhh

Foxy
06-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Should Nole be in the other half and no big hitters (like Karlovic) first three rounds this would be enough to have a very decent chance of winning, regardless everything else.

GuiroNl
06-17-2008, 11:01 AM
WIN WIN WIN

no?

Luvyoyoma1954@co
06-17-2008, 12:31 PM
I believe Rafa has the self belief and a winning spirit that he has never had so strong before. He now should believe in himself on grass and Novack and Fed should not scare him at all. He will always respect their abilities because of who he is and that too will help him win. :worship:

:cat:

wildegirl05
06-17-2008, 12:41 PM
omg, i'm TORN. i'm gonna refrain from predicting this time. i just want a fedal final :D

rafa_maniac
06-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Oh what the hell, win. I want him to win this title so badly I feel like I could singlehandedly will him on to victory, though I'm sure my fellow MTF Rafatards would be willing to help :lol:

Tnn74
06-17-2008, 11:01 PM
I want it so badly as well for him to take the Big W...
I will refrain from predicting until the draw, of course...
I think the first few rounds will be the difficult rounds
for him... hopefully fortune will favor the brave :angel:

Also, is it for sure that he will play Safin in the exho...?
man, what I wouldn't give to be front row of that match :drool: :lol:

wilmar
06-18-2008, 04:42 AM
just to side-track a little here, does anyone know when Rafa will arrive in Wimbledon and start doing his court practice?
would appreciate this info.

mallorn
06-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Tomorrow, according to the Spanish media.

wilmar
06-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Tomorrow, according to the Spanish media.

Thank you :D

nadal4ever
06-18-2008, 02:35 PM
:wavey:After all Rafa endured during the meshed together clay court season, the blisters, Djoko breathing down his neck for his no. 2 ranking and the rain at Roland Garros, he has triumphed beautifully. He has the desire and the game to win Wimbledon and he will try his best to do it. U gotta believe!:)

Xristos
06-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Put me down for WINNER!

Rafas going all the way this year!

VAMOOOOOOOOS!

The Pro
06-19-2008, 12:26 PM
I find his blogs charming and full of things from a full yet normal life. He speaks of people who touch his life outside of tennis.

Yeah, his blogs ok. It's the Q&A answer session that shows a duller side to him. He doesn't have a favourite colour!!!

What's that about? :confused:

Lopaka
06-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah, Rafa is doing another blog for Times OnLine along with Q&A. Maybe the reason the blogs are a bit dull is his Spanish to English translator is dull. For anyone who needs more Rafa he is writing column for El Mundo on the Euro Cup 2008. Mostly Rafa trying to be as pro-Spain as possible: http://www.elmundo.es/eurocopa/2008/blogs/columna_nadal/index.html

Assuming all the bandaged parts are working it will be a Rafa, Wimbledon Win!

Aenea
06-19-2008, 05:55 PM
I thought I'd wait for the draw but somehow I feel that's not right, I'll give my prediction right away.

Metis, put me down for the big WIN. I want to see Rafa holding that golden trophy. :yippee:

Vamos.

l_mac
06-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Jesus.

Metis
06-19-2008, 06:53 PM
blogs, articles etc...

clearly Rafa is preparing for his career as a sports writer after he retires from tennis :lol:

raven gypsy
06-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Jesus.

What's this comment in response to? His writing the article? :shrug:

adee-gee
06-19-2008, 11:12 PM
*posting here for Linda*

I predict R1 by the way. He'll lose to Chris Eaton :rocker2:

l_mac
06-19-2008, 11:36 PM
What's this comment in response to? His writing the article? :shrug:

All the winner predictions :bigcry:

Shut up, Adam. Eaton would be tough :mad:

NaDALiTa
06-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Metis put me for a F (trying to be realistic!)

Metis
06-20-2008, 12:13 AM
*posting here for Linda*

I predict R1 by the way. He'll lose to Chris Eaton :rocker2:

Adam, FYI we take this competition very seriously in here. :mad:

Tnn74
06-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Okay... as expected, some pretty tricky opponents for Rafa
in the early rounds, but we expected it, didn't we...? :P
I'm still gonna say he will take it this year... so put me
down for the Big Win Metis, please :hug:

Here is Rafa's half of the draw...

6. Roddick vs Schwank
Tipsarevic vs Ascoine
Pashanski vs (Q)Eaton
Mahut vs Tursunov

Almagro vs Granollers
Garcia-Lopez vs Mirva
Ventura vs Schuettler
C Rochus vs 9. Blake

14. Mathieu vs Hernandez
Chardy vs Gil
Roger-Vasselin vs Cilic
Odesnik vs 24. Nieminen

26. Ljubicic vs Melzer
Levine vs Young
Bjorkman vs Clement
Becker vs 4. Davydenko

8. Gasquet vs Fish
Grosjean vs Starace
Anderson vs Calleri
Olenijak vs Simon

Robredo vs Vliegen
Canas vs Haas
Malisse vs Gremelmayr
Santoro vs 12. Murray

16. Stepanek vs Hernych
Troicki vs Lapentti
(WC)Baker vs Galvani
Roitman vs 17. Youzhny

27. Kiefer vs Benneteau
Vassallo-Arguello vs Minar
Isner vs Gulbis
Beck vs 2. Nadal

raven gypsy
06-20-2008, 10:35 AM
By the way, Rafa's pulled out of the exho with Safin today.
He cited more time to prep for Wimby...Gasquet is his replacement for anyone heading today to watch it :)

Tnn74
06-20-2008, 10:38 AM
He cited more time to prep for Wimby...Gasquet is his replacement for anyone heading today to watch it :)

darn it! that sucks! :mad:

MariaV
06-20-2008, 10:40 AM

:( :scared: :unsure: :rolleyes:

I say 2nd rd. :D No way he gets past Isner. :D
Hello Linda, I'm with you! :hatoff:

spriwi
06-20-2008, 10:43 AM
let me go for the win once again :cool:

4th round will be decisive i believe

yana
06-20-2008, 10:51 AM
God! 99 of the posters say he'll win, a lot of tennis experts say he's the favorite, Borg is with him too :scared: Jinx, jinx, jinx...

Just imagine the Fedtardism fiesta if he'll fail before the final :(

Xoman
06-20-2008, 11:18 AM
I have looked at my crystal ball and I have seen Nadal bitting the Wimbledon trophy. He will just defeat whoever survives in the "first final" between Federer and Djokovic.
Gulbis could be tricky on second round, but after that it should be a walkover to the final.

I hope Djokovic helps out Nadal get closer to #1 in the rankings by defeating Federer in the semifinal. If he doesn't then he better start accepting that he is "just" #3 and not a potential #1 as many want us to believe.

Metis, please put me down for the WIN. Thanks

GuiroNl
06-20-2008, 11:22 AM
If Nadal doesn't win Wimbledon from this draw he never will.

This draw is a great chance for him, especially in this form.

yana
06-20-2008, 11:25 AM
I hope Djokovic helps out Nadal get closer to #1 in the rankings by defeating Federer in the semifinal.

I don't mind if both Feddy and Djoky :hug: lose before SF. One can only dream

scarecrows
06-20-2008, 11:27 AM
W

cupcake draw one again

MariaV
06-20-2008, 11:27 AM
God! 99 of the posters say he'll win, a lot of tennis experts say he's the favorite, Borg is with him too :scared: Jinx, jinx, jinx...

Just imagine the Fedtardism fiesta if he'll fail before the final :(

Just imagine should he lose first round. :D

MariaV
06-20-2008, 11:28 AM
W

cupcake draw one again

:armed:

GuiroNl
06-20-2008, 11:29 AM
:armed:

You should be happy about it.

Tess Gray
06-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Put me down for a W! I feel it's going to be his year:D

nashty
06-20-2008, 12:30 PM
BIG, BOLD WIN for me!!!!!!

This is Rafa's year to bite that Wimbly trophy. Actually, even before the draw I was to put W already but in order to make a more "rational-looking" prediction, I decided to give my prediction after the draw was out. Come on Rafa, take advantage! VAMOS RAFA!

tennizen
06-20-2008, 01:02 PM
When does he face Radek Stepanek, 4th round or QF? That's the round he will lose. Metis, could you please put that for me.

Aenea
06-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Who's Andreas Beck? I know nothing about him besides he's a 22-years old lefty, #123 with a 2-2 ytd record. In every GS this season Rafa draws some eager Q for the opener (Troicki at AO, Bellucci at FO). Now maybe that guy, Beck, will also come onto the court pumped to prove himself and do some damage. I hope Rafa does his homework for this match.
As for the rest of the draw it's fair enough IMO. There will always be some dangerous floaters, anyone may pose a threat on a given day. So having in mind Rafa cannot avoid every possible threat I think his draw is good. If he can keep his high level of play, his concentration and his focus on the big goal, and if he stays healthy and fit, he should win this year.

After seeing the draw I stick to the W I gave in my previous prediction. I hope Rafa proves me right. :D

Venga.

l_mac
06-20-2008, 02:40 PM
If Nadal doesn't win Wimbledon from this draw he never will.

This draw is a great chance for him, especially in this form.

Isner/Gulbis isn't a great 2nd round :sad:

He pulled out of the exho with Safin? I am suspicious. :sad:

hra87
06-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Ignore previous post. Fed's draw is much harder than Nadal's. Djokovic's is easy.

Metis
06-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Update:

1st - adee-gee
2nd - MariaV, l_mac
3rd -
4th - tennizen, TMJordan
QF - Metis
SF - acionescu
F - Blaze-2004, yana, NaDALiTa
W- cmurray, Foxy, GuiroNl, hra87, Luvyoyoma1954, nashty, rafa maniac, raven gypsy, scarecrows, shawshank, spriwi, tangerine dream, tennischeto, Tess Gray, Tnn74, Xoman

:spit:

tangerine_dream
06-20-2008, 04:48 PM
I have looked into my crystal ball (a.k.a. YouTube) and it says: Rafa will finally win Wimbledon. :D

Nadal por fin ganará Wimbledon
mck40NshdJ4

Metis
06-20-2008, 04:59 PM
I have looked into my crystal ball (a.k.a. YouTube) and it says: Rafa will finally win Wimbledon. :D

mck40NshdJ4

:spit: :haha: funny stuff!

Tnn74
06-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Update:

Was I skipped again..?
Metis, I got the big "W" :angel:

Metis
06-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Was I skipped again..?
Metis, I got the big "W" :angel:

:smash: to me

I swear I'm not doing this on purpose. :lol: To my defense when I posted earlier today my pupils were dilated after a visit to the eye doctor so I had some difficulty reading...

Tnn74
06-20-2008, 10:13 PM
:smash: to me

I swear I'm not doing this on purpose. :lol: To my defense when I posted earlier today my pupils were dilated after a visit to the eye doctor so I had some difficulty reading...

:lol: no worries, thank you :hug:

Xoman
06-20-2008, 11:15 PM

mck40NshdJ4

:lol:

Very funny tangerine, very funny

wilmar
06-21-2008, 01:22 AM
to sidetrack a little, does anyone when is the best time/place to catch hold of Nadal during his practice sessions at Wimbly for an autograph/photo? or is it just down to plain luck?

acionescu
06-21-2008, 03:42 PM
I stuck with the underachievement prediction: put me for the SF! If Rafa loses to Roddick I may jump over that bridge with RogerFan after the battle of GOATS ends with a Serbian win

shawshank
06-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Put me for WIN :)

raven gypsy
06-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Rafa:

"Several former players including five-times winner Bjorn Borg have tipped Nadal to beat Federer, whom he is seeded to meet again in the final at Wimbledon this year after losing the last two.

Nadal would not accept he had overtaken the Swiss world number one as favourite, however. "I can only thank Bjorn for his words...but you know Bjorn is not magic." :yeah:

Asked if he thought Federer was more vulnerable than in previous years, Nadal replied with heavy sarcasm "yes: a lot. He didn't lose a set in Halle, 59 matches without losing (on grass) Come on!" "
:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/sportsNews....lBrandChannel=0

Tangy - Thanks for the clip! :D It explains a lot. I love the "little rafa".

Here's a good article. Rafa talks about his admiration for Tiger Woods and getting over last year's loss at Wimby..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article4183320.ece?token=null&offset=0

Metis :wavey: - would you please put me down for the W
I hope that all this ground swell of enthusiam is a good omen..

*consults tea leaves and taro cards*

Johnny Groove
06-21-2008, 11:07 PM
put me down for another devastating finals loss :(

Tnn74
06-22-2008, 07:52 AM
put me down for another devastating finals loss :(

Jonathan... tsk tsk! Shameful! :armed:

tennizen
06-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Nadal's pre-tourney presser. Loved the bit about Borg which raven gypsy also posted earlier:lol:

Pre-event press interview with Rafael Nadal, the no.2 seed in the men's singles.

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Rafa.

Q. What effect does your performance last year, especially the final against Roger, have on your thoughts on this year's Wimbledon?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, not much difference, no? Similar like every year. Just come here with motivation, best motivation, try to enjoy playing on grass. Is strange surface. Well, try to find my best performance.

Q. What has been the biggest change that has made you the player you are on grass right now?

RAFAEL NADAL: Every year you try to improve your tennis, no?

I think is stupid say what you improve on grass? What are you improving on grass? Because is impossible to improve on grass when you are only playing two weeks in a year. Is impossible to improve on grass.

Is possible to improve your tennis on other surfaces. You can have more options for play on grass. But you improve your tennis in the rest of surfaces. Later on grass, if you have more options, you can serve a little bit better, you can go to the net more times, you can have one slice, you can play more aggressive. That's going to help you a lot for play on grass, no?

Q. You had breakpoints last year in the fifth set against Roger. Was there a time after the match that you replayed those points in your mind thinking you could have done something different?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, that's too much, no? The tennis continuing every week after the Wimbledon final of last year, no? Was a very, very good week for me, two weeks. I played very good tennis, especially in the final. Finally I lost. I have to accept that. That's a hundred percent normal. Just, you know, one hour after the match is tough because you lose important chance, and you never know if you gonna have another chance in the future.

But after that, the life continuing. Always try my best in the next tournament.

Q. After you beat Roger in Paris, Bjorn Borg said he thinks you're going to win here. What are your thoughts on that prediction?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, Bjorn is a special person, special tennis person. And when Bjorn say something, everybody listen Bjorn (smiling). I only can say thanks to Bjorn for his words. A lot of times he spoke very nice things about me, so just thanks of this.

But, you know, Bjorn is not magic.

Q. Over the years there have been many great French Open champions, Bruguera, Muster, Guga, who haven't bothered to come here after winning the French Open. You never thought like that. Why?

RAFAEL NADAL: If you wants to be a big player, important player, you want to be in the top positions, well, is impossible don't come of one tournament like this.

So, well, Wimbledon was very important in my mind always. Just happy for be here for another time.

Q. Have you been able to relax in between your tennis matches and practice by watching the European football championships?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes.

Q. Do you think Spain can beat Italy and go on and win the title?

RAFAEL NADAL: We gonna win this year, no doubts.

Q. What do you think of Ronaldo joining a rival club of yours?

RAFAEL NADAL: Don't ask me nothing about this, please. Because in Spain, all they are speaking about is Ronaldo going to Real Madrid. But I don't know.

Q. Would you like to see him play in Madrid?

RAFAEL NADAL: For sure, yes. Sorry for Manchester (smiling).

Q. Would it be a dream summer if you could win Wimbledon and Spain to win Euro2008? Would that be a perfect scenario for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: More than perfect.

Q. Since we touched on other sports, what were your thoughts on what Tiger Woods did last week? And what are you thinking, knowing he did it with these bad injuries?

RAFAEL NADAL: You know, is very tough finish a tournament and can't play more during the same season, no? But, you know, Tiger is probably my idol. I never have an idol, no? But is probably the sportsman who I admire more, no?

Because I like a lot his mentally I like a lot his eyes when he's gonna have the important shot. So he is always playing with unbelievable determination in important moments.

The last part of the fourth day, only one guy with unbelievable concentration, unbelievable determination, and big confidence on yourself. Only Tiger can do it something like this, no?

He has two days for lose with the par 5, and both days he had a birdie. You know how tough is I know how tough is playing having pain, and the concentration is very difficult have very good concentration when you are, in my case, running or touching the ball and you feel pain.

That's unbelievable win U.S. Open like this, no?

Q. Do you think Roger is more vulnerable on grass this year than previous years?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, a lot. He didn't lose a set on Halle. 59 matches without lose. C'mon.

Q. On the court, you're a very hyperactive person, but you also like to fish, which is a quiet, serene experience. How do you explain that difference in your personality?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I am more hyperactive outside the court than inside. I hate be at home on the sofa watching television, waking up at 11:00 in the morning, because I feel I lose the day.

No, at the same time I am normal, calm guy probably, but always love doing things, no?

Q. Did you catch anything when you fished in Mallorca?

RAFAEL NADAL: Four tunas.

Q. At the end of Queen's you were tired. Do you feel better for your few days in Mallorca?

RAFAEL NADAL: Always is good coming back at home, no, especially if your home is Mallorca.

Q. Maybe it hasn't happened in the long time, maybe when you were a junior, but when you lost very badly to an opponent, how did you feel psychologically the next time you played that same opponent when they beat you very badly?

RAFAEL NADAL: When he beat me easy?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't know. When he beat me easy, I think I didn't play very good tennis or he played unbelievable, no? You know, when you go on court, you can lose, you can win. But if you lose easy is because you are not prepared mentally.

The next time when I play against him, just try to be very focused all the time and try to play my best.

Q. Did it affect you the next time you played?

RAFAEL NADAL: In what way?

Q. In a good way or a bad way.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, always is better when you come back on court if you have one head to head 6 0 for you than 0 3.

But, you know, later is a challenge, too, no, beat a guy, one person, no, one player, who your game his game is not very easy for you, no?

Q. Apart from watching Spain at Euro2008 and catching tuna, how else will you be spending your time to switch off from the tennis once you walk away from Wimbledon?

RAFAEL NADAL: After Wimbledon?

Q. During the tournament, but after you've played a game, how do you spend your evening or your time to allow you to switch off?

RAFAEL NADAL: You never know, no? I have a house here. Easier for everything.

Q. Do you have your friends and family here?

RAFAEL NADAL: I hope have a lot of time for spend, because if not I going to spend a very good time in Mallorca (smiling).

But, no, I don't have friends here. I have lot of films, PlayStation. I have some books to read. I don't know. You never know.

Q. Probably for you Roland Garros is very important, but how important is it to win this tournament, Wimbledon?

RAFAEL NADAL: For me is important like any other player, no? Everybody wants to play good here and win. I think for everybody is a dream win the tournament in Wimbledon, no?

MariaV
06-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Rafa's first blog entry is up! :bounce: :yippee: :bigclap:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2008/06/back-in-london.html

tennizen
06-22-2008, 01:49 PM
One of the comments on that blog

Aw, Rafa, you don't need to wear cologne! What scent could possibly be better than Eau de Rafa Sweat? :-)

Yuck:(

Metis
06-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Nadal's pre-tourney presser. Loved the bit about Borg which raven gypsy also posted earlier:lol:

4 tunas? :eek: Uh oh, Greenpeace is coming after Rafa. :lol: I think tuna is an endangered species in the Mediterranean, no?

One of the comments on that blog

Yuck:(

:tape: :bolt:

Rafa should sweat into bottles and sell them on e-bay... :D

I liked Gary's comment. He's advising Rafa to not be afraid to come to the net :spit:

TMJordan
06-22-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm sorry Rafa, Stepanek will bounce you out in round 4, or Youzhny :shrug: Put me down for round 4 :cool:

If Rafa gets by Stepanek/Youzhny he will win :o

l_mac
06-22-2008, 09:39 PM
tangy is wicked, people! She predicted a Nole-Roddick final on the Djoko-forum. :mad:

Haven't had time to catch up on all the GM crap over the weekend, but I have seen that W is playing superfast :bigcry:

I am not even confident about Beck, but my faith in Rafa makes me think he will last through to R2. And that's all. So R2 exit for me :sad:

raven gypsy
06-22-2008, 11:21 PM
:sobbing:
BUD COLLINS
is predicting Rafa to win :sad:

This is the equivalent of the *kiss of death*.
Thanks, Bud. :rolleyes:

Well, at least Spain won today :) That should make rafa happy.

l_mac
06-22-2008, 11:24 PM
BUD COLLINS

That rat bastard!

cmurray
06-23-2008, 12:14 AM
BUD COLLINS

In Bud's defense, he's 2 for 2 this year. He predicted Nole and Rafa at AO and FO. :shrug:

Maybe he's turned over a new leaf?

tangerine_dream
06-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Metis, put me down for the WIN. It feels like it's going to be Rafa's time this year.

Now watch him lose in the first round thanks to the Bud Collins curse. :rolleyes: :(

tangy is wicked, people! She predicted a Nole-Roddick final on the Djoko-forum. :mad:
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/790/smug.gif

Btw, did you see that "Novak for Dummies" image I posted in the chat thread?

l_mac
06-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Metis, put me down for the WIN. It feels like it's going to be Rafa's time this year.

Now watch him lose in the first round thanks to the Bud Collins curse. :rolleyes: :(

:rolleyes: Liar :ras:

http://img2.menstennisforums.com/790/smug.gif

Btw, did you see that "Novak for Dummies" image I posted in the chat thread?

No, I've been away for the weekend, and haven't read back yet. I will look tomorrow. Now I must sleep.

Tnn74
06-23-2008, 01:16 AM
BUD COLLINS

:lol: that's correct. He picked Rafa to win FO...
so maybe this will be a new direction :shrug:
Great win today for Spain... Casillas was incredibly... hot. :lol:

But seriously guys, I think we shouldn't look too much into it, no?
I mean, Rafa got Davydenko in his draw... Djoke drew Fed...
Rafa has the best possible opponent in the QF's in Gasquet/Murray I think...
and well, Roddick was already throwing pre-Wimbledon tantrums at practice...
so with the exception of the possible tough encounter with Gulbis in the 2nd,
eventhough he is dangerous, I can't read too much into his grass game, no?
and the danger round is really the 4th, but given Misha's recent form, :ras:
I think the one who really could hurt him is Stepanek, because that guy is just
unorthodox and unpredictable... but other than that... Go Rafa :bounce:

Metis
06-23-2008, 02:12 AM
In Bud's defense, he's 2 for 2 this year. He predicted Nole and Rafa at AO and FO. :shrug:

In Parallel Universe 2008 Bud's predictions have to come true. :shrug:

the_natural
06-23-2008, 04:42 AM
Ignore previous post. Fed's draw is much harder than Nadal's. Djokovic's is easy.

How so?? Rafa has Isner as a potential second round opponent...... this is bad, that guy is scary, rafas game matches horribly to his and this is what borg was talkin about rafa having to survive the first few rounds, Im wondering how well rafa can handle the pressure, even gulbis could be a danger but the big one is isner, the guy has had flashes of brilliance and when he plays well hes got icewater in his veins, and hes not too bad from the baseline but the guys not afraid to move forward either.... Ahhhh and u know how everyone plays the best tennis of their lives against rafa!!!!

Yukkkkk If he gets past isner then its not a bad draw, its a dream but damn theres that danger there which is scary

the_natural
06-23-2008, 05:45 AM

wow, hes on a roll.... bud collins right about a gs winner?? But then again predicting rafa at RG this year was like predicting the swiss to win Wimbledon in 05... suprised about the nole prediction in Australia, but then everyone gets lucky every once in a while... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Bud I hope ull be 3 for 3 in 3 weeks time!!!

the_natural
06-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Looking over the draw properley, i gotta ask, how the heck can anyone say that rafa has an easy draw and federer has a tough one (unless ur being sarcastic....) i mean even Nole has a tougher draw: nalbandian, karlovic, baghdatis as potential qf are all dangerous if they make it that far even wawrinka is at leasta challenge compared to: hewitt, gonzalez, ferrer, i mean the only potential roadblock is Berdych but hes a headcase, he was playing his best tennis in miami and rafa straight setted him, hes a b!tch especially against top players especially if u just make him move....

Then after Rafas 2nd rd with isner or gulbis hes got Stepanek or YOUHZNY!!! Stepanek is really dangers, only hope is that he really is as injured as he said he was (but he can be a bs artist cos hes got a flare for the dramatic), but Youhzny, i know hes been out for a while but still playing rafa brings the best out of him, and consider that he had a big chance to beat rafa last year, and then the 6-0 6-1 drubbing in chennai, u gotta worry that the guy could catch a wind of inspiration if he makes the 4th rd then gasguet or murray in the quarters??? Come on that doesnt need an explanation, even though hes mentally tougher than either, gasguet showed balls last year to come from behind and beat roddick, and murray has crowd support and both have the game to take him out if they are on (or at the very least force a potentially draining 5 setter), heck even simon could be dangerous considering the way he plays against rafa, he might not take him out but he can damage him. Then most likely roddick in the semis!!! If roddick were to make it that far it would mean that he would be fit and strong, and well at that point hed be full of confidence as well.... and he'll be lookin to improve on the loss at queens, considering the fact that rafa could have 3 potentially tough draining opponents, roddick could be a real danger.... Sheeshhhh

I might be stressing too much but I dont get how people can see rafas draw as a dream?

Castafiore
06-23-2008, 07:53 AM
But seriously guys, I think we shouldn't look too much into it, no?
:secret: I don't think that Maria, Linda & co tend to look much into it at all really. :p

The typical reaction of The Borg* Nadal fan collective =
:unsure: :unsure: :help: Shitty draw for Rafa. :mad:

If Nadal gets through his draw: they get to :nerner: to haters.
If Nadal stumbles along the way: they get to say how they were so wise to know it in advance and :nerner: to the naive believers.
---> They win either way. A rafatard is not as daft as he/she appears to be.

(* Borg as in star trek - "assimilate, resistance is futile" - not as in Björn Borg)

Although, I have got to admit that I see some potential stumbling blocks as well but place Nadal in Novak's section and people would worry about players like Nalbandian for example. A slam draw is rarely easy and it's how it should be.

rafa_maniac
06-23-2008, 09:04 AM
:secret: I don't think that Maria, Linda & co tend to look much into it at all really. :p

If Nadal stumbles along the way: they get to say how they were so wise to know it in advance and :nerner: to the naive believers.

(* Borg as in star wars - "assimilate, resistance is futile" - not as in Björn Borg)

Although, I have got to admit that I see some potential stumbling blocks as well but place Nadal in Novak's section and people would worry about players like Nalbandian for example. A slam draw is rarely easy and it's how it should be.

Exactly, it's a Grand Slam, you're going to have to beat good players along the way, and that's how it should be. Rafa has some conceiveably tough opponents ahead, but keep in mind... he's a better player than all of them for all intensive purposes. I'd say he's been given about as good a draw as one could hope for, no Djoko in his half, Gasquet as his 1/4 final opponent etc...

Aenea
06-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Exactly, it's a Grand Slam, you're going to have to beat good players along the way, and that's how it should be. Rafa has some conceiveably tough opponents ahead, but keep in mind... he's a better player than all of them for all intensive purposes. I'd say he's been given about as good a draw as one could hope for, no Djoko in his half, Gasquet as his 1/4 final opponent etc...
Why do you think Gasquet as a QF opponent is no danger? This year in Miami I was happy Rafa had Davydenko as opponent in the F instead of Roddick and look what happened. Never underestimate anybody.

uefa_007
06-23-2008, 09:35 AM
The Fixtures are great for Rafa :)

Well Rafa will love the draw because he gets to play different kind of grass court players which makes him not only tactically but also physically ready . The major reason which has contributed to our Guru Rafa in the past 2 tournaments is the variety of players on the court he faced . I remember in F.O every round all Fed hooligans would say "He faces a clay court champ" , "He faces the best server" etc. etc. By playing these kind of players in F.O Nadal knew 200% what to do against Djoko and Federer...

Even in Queens look at the kind of grass court players he played ..
Nishikuri - A young hard hitting kid like Tsonga , Karlo - The Best server , Roddick - One of the best serve and volley guys and not to forget a title contender - Djoko ... Rafa now knows what to do against these kind of players and "Raising ur game" in Break points is something he has done "Fantastic"

Tnn74
06-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Why do you think Gasquet as a QF opponent is no danger? This year in Miami I was happy Rafa had Davydenko as opponent in the F instead of Roddick and look what happened. Never underestimate anybody.

We can't have it all... :shrug:
If he didn't get Gasquet... people would be complaining about Nalby...
or Baghdatis... or any other potential dangerous opponents for that matter...

It's a Grand Slam, he can not get through 7 rounds without facing possible
danger guys... one thing we just gotta remember is that he is the #2 player
in the world... getting to another final isn't going to be easy by any means,
it doesn't matter which side of the draw he's on... he's going to have to go
through some of them...

MariaV
06-23-2008, 11:07 AM

Hilde! How do you dare... :eek: :eek: :speakles: :speakles: We are the most srcupulous tennis experts ever... ;)

OK OK I better shut up now and go enjoy Wimbledon in the 16:9 widescreen format on my TV. :D

Castafiore
06-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Hilde! How do you dare... :eek: :eek: :speakles: :speakles: We are the most srcupulous tennis experts ever... ;)
:lol: :hug:

Bibberz
06-23-2008, 03:48 PM
How so?? Rafa has Isner as a potential second round opponent...... this is bad, that guy is scary, rafas game matches horribly to his and this is what borg was talkin about rafa having to survive the first few rounds,

Well, facing Isner on grass isn't ideal, but how many Best-of-5-set matches has he won? He's green.

I have not changed my earlier prediction: Rafa wins it all.

Xoman
06-23-2008, 03:48 PM
OK OK I better shut up now and go enjoy Wimbledon in the 16:9 widescreen format on my TV. :D

Nice one ... :drool: (envy) And me here in the office ... Working. :-(

However, I am finalizing details with my friend to go tomorrow to Wimbledon. je je je :angel:

It appears we will have to be there very early in the morning in order to get in and get access to court 1 or court 2. Actually spending the night on the queue ... yikes.
It is my first time going there to Wimbledon ... Anyone can advise? (thanks in advance)

MariaV
06-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Best of luck Xoman! :wavey:
There are many people on MTF who have been to Wibledon or are going this year. You should check out the Wimbledon tournament section or PM our adeegee here.

Rafa's football entry is up on the blog. :banana: :yippee: :bigclap:
RogiRafaFan86 who asked me about Rafa sharing the house with Feli, seems like Rafa is still best pals and sharing the house with Feli. :D :hearts: :inlove:

Today I am a very happy person. I normally am, but today, after the football match I can't say I could not be happier. We watched the match at the house I have rented in Wimbledon. Me, Toni, Rafa Maymo, Benito from my team, Feliciano Lopez, his girlfriend, Albert Costa, Richy Sanchez (coach of Jankovic), Toni Estalella and Gabriel Urpi (coach of Penetta) are the ones that watched the match here.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2008/06/unbelievable-vi.html

Aenea
06-23-2008, 04:26 PM
We can't have it all... :shrug:
If he didn't get Gasquet... people would be complaining about Nalby...
or Baghdatis... or any other potential dangerous opponents for that matter...

It's a Grand Slam, he can not get through 7 rounds without facing possible
danger guys... one thing we just gotta remember is that he is the #2 player
in the world... getting to another final isn't going to be easy by any means,
it doesn't matter which side of the draw he's on... he's going to have to go
through some of them...
That's exactly what I said after the draw was out. This is a GS, 7 matches, always some dangerous players on the way to the title. Rafa cannot avoid them all he'll have to deal with them.
But the Miami F taught me never to take any player lightly.

OOP June 24

Centre Court 1.00 pm
1. Ladies' Singles
Venus Williams (USA)[7] v. Naomi Cavaday (GBR)
2. Gentlemen's Singles
Andreas Beck (GER) v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]
3. Gentlemen's Singles
Fabrice Santoro (FRA) v. Andy Murray (GBR)[12]

Metis
06-23-2008, 06:12 PM
OK people you read it above. Rafa is playing 2nd tomorrow and you need to make/change your predictions before the beginning of the match.

1st - adee-gee
2nd - MariaV, l_mac
3rd -
4th - tennizen, TMJordan
QF - Metis
SF - acionescu
W- cmurray, Denisse, Foxy, GuiroNl, hra87, Luvyoyoma1954, M.C., nashty, rafa maniac, raven gypsy, scarecrows, shawshank, spriwi, tangerine dream, tennischeto, Tess Gray, Tnn74, Xoman

l_mac
06-23-2008, 08:45 PM

Rubbish! We had some draws that I did not mind - AO, Rotterdam :mad: Dubai (look how that turned out :bigcry:)

I'd like this draw if he didn't have Gulbis/Isner in Round 2. They were on my list of players I wanted Rafa to avoid (posted at vb, before the draw was made :p)
TheNishikuri - A young hard hitting kid like Tsonga , Karlo - The Best server , Roddick - One of the best serve and volley guys and not to forget a title contender - Djoko ... Rafa now knows what to do against these kind of players and "Raising ur game" in Break points is something he has done "Fantastic"

Kei plays nothing like Tsonga. :shrug: And Roddick is not a volleyer :rolls:

I'd take an easy draw any day of the week.

Tnn74
06-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Good Luck tomorrow Rafa! :hug:

M.C.
06-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Put me down for the W! :p

l_mac
06-24-2008, 07:39 AM
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Good Luck, Rafa :scared:

Why am I genuinely nervous?? :sobbing:

Tnn74
06-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Linda, you are always genuinely nervous, no? :hug:

Aenea
06-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Best of luck today Rafa! :bigclap:

spriwi
06-24-2008, 10:33 AM
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Good Luck, Rafa :scared:

Why am I genuinely nervous?? :sobbing:

paranoid? :cuckoo:

Denisse
06-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Rafa's match is about to start. does it still count if i make my prediction?? i'll say W just in case it does!

l_mac
06-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Linda, you are always genuinely nervous, no? :hug:

No, quite often I fake it :angel:

I didn't know anything about this Beck. He has nothing but a big serve.

nashty
06-24-2008, 04:20 PM
good one rafa! 1st test, check! now i'm quite scared for gulbis.

Rafa, please don't let him win a set.

Metis
06-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Nadal-Beck 6-4 6-4 7-6 (0) :yeah:

1st - adee-gee
2nd - MariaV, l_mac
3rd -
4th - tennizen, TMJordan
QF - Metis
SF - acionescu
W- cmurray, Denisse, Foxy, GuiroNl, hra87, Luvyoyoma1954, M.C., nashty, rafa maniac, raven gypsy, scarecrows, shawshank, spriwi, tangerine dream, tennischeto, Tess Gray, Tnn74, Xoman, Xristos

adee-gee you lost :ras:

On to the 2nd round... Gulbis :scared: :unsure:

tennizen
06-24-2008, 04:31 PM
If Rafa loses to Gulbis all blame goes to Maria and Linda:sobbing:

spriwi
06-24-2008, 04:51 PM

no worries, he won't :cool:

i_mac is a girl ? :confused: :eek:

MariaV
06-24-2008, 04:53 PM

:scared: :unsure: :o
I'll be so glad to lose this time. :D

Metis
06-24-2008, 06:53 PM

preparing the excuses already thread starter? :armed:

---------------------------------

Yes, one blog was not enough for Rafa, so he's writing another one for ESPN.com :lol:
(I wonder if he gets paid to write them :scratch: )

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon08/columns/story?id=3458398

Rafa is giving cooking advice: what to do in case of emergency when you run out of seafood :worship:

l_mac
06-24-2008, 07:41 PM
(I wonder if he gets paid to write them :scratch: )

I think The Times paid a sum to charity last year.

Xristos
06-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Excuse me but i also predicted he will win Wimbly.

Add my name to that list.

GuiroNl
06-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Borg in the thread title means that this is a relevant link.

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?prevtrnnum=540&year=1976&query=Singles&selTournament=540&player=B058&x=11&y=8

Anything less than that and I will need 5 years to recover ;)

l_mac
06-24-2008, 09:34 PM
no worries, he won't :cool:

i_mac is a girl ? :confused: :eek:

No. What are you talking about?

Metis
06-24-2008, 09:58 PM

I think The Times paid a sum to charity last year.

that makes more sense then :p

Excuse me but i also predicted he will win Wimbly.

Add my name to that list.

Sorry! Corrected.

spriwi
06-24-2008, 10:15 PM
No. What are you talking about?

i thought your name was linda. it sounded female

whatever :rolleyes:

l_mac
06-24-2008, 10:30 PM
i thought your name was linda. it sounded female

whatever :rolleyes:

:retard:

Did everyone read Rafa's presser?

Tnn74
06-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Great win Rafa! 68 winners, 15 UE's, and :eek: 17 Aces! almost a career high! :lol:
Gulbis went a 4-setter with Isner today... so maybe we still don't know much about
his game on grass, no? anyway, good luck sweet Rafa :hug:

cmurray
06-24-2008, 11:55 PM
:spit: :rolls:

OMG, this thread. Linda and spriwi :worship:

T2KN
06-25-2008, 05:19 AM
In all honesty, I don't see any of the people on Rafa's side of the draw beating him. I only see him losing against Federer. Of course tennis is unpredictable but under usual circumstances Fed and Rafa >>>>>>>>> the rest, at least on grass and clay. :shrug:

spriwi
06-25-2008, 08:28 AM
:spit: :rolls:

OMG, this thread. Linda and spriwi :worship:

:wazzup:

i really don't get what's wrong with what i said:scratch: can anyone make it clear for me, in a more civilised way than the :retard: i_mac

Eden
06-25-2008, 09:18 AM
I don't think it was posted here yet:

Players
R. Nadal - 24 June

Tuesday, 24 June 2008

Rafael Nadal def. Andreas Beck 6‑4, 6‑4, 7‑6

Q. A great serving performance today. No breakpoints to face. Can we talk a little bit about how you've gone about improving your serve over the last three years. For example, did you use electronic equipment to look at your service motion, freeze frame, where your feet or arm was in a particular situation, or was it just a matter of hitting more and more balls?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, yeah, today I served well. Second record aces. I had 18 two years ago against Agassi here, and today 17. So happy with my serve.

I improve because I am young and I must improve. I practice for improve always. Every day, every month. My goal always is be better player, so for that reason I improved a little bit my serve.

Q. How important is that at Wimbledon? How important is it to have a better serve at Wimbledon?

RAFAEL NADAL: It's important in every surface. Probably in clay a little bit less important. But every surface it's very important have a good serve, no? In grass is very, very important, too.

So, yeah, right now I happy about how I serve today and the way I was serving today. But, you know, is only the first match. I have to continuing.

Q. How much of a better player do you feel you are on grass compared to last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I really don't know, no? Everybody ask me the same. Last two years I played the final in Wimbledon, so is very, very difficult say I am better player. I don't know if I am better player, especially because I didn't play on grass ‑ only one tournament.

In my opinion, I am more complete player because I have more options to do, no? But I don't know if I am better player or not on grass. I think in general, yes.

Q. The new rule about having only one person with you in the locker room here, how are you adjusting to that? Is it your uncle who comes with you in the locker room or the trainer?

RAFAEL NADAL: The coach. Toni is coming to the locker room. Sometimes I have problems. Is a little bit a strange rule, no? The tournament have to change, in my opinion. In my humble opinion, the tournament have to change that, no?

Because if we travel with one physio, the physio has to be before the match on the locker room to do the tapes for everything, no? And, well, here the people who manage the locker room, the persons inside the locker room, they are very nice.

When I have a problem they go and bring my physio, my trainer, inside. So today was perfect because they did that for me. So only can say thank you very much.

Q. I noticed you're wearing tapes around the bottom of your knees. Do you have a problem with your knees, or is it to prevent a problem?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. If you saw me play, I played always like this, no?

Q. With the tapes around?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes.

Q. The Spanish football team, they went through after a penalty. How nerve‑wracking was that?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think the same like everybody, no? A lot of nervous. So we finish the match jumping, everybody. So was very, very important for us be in the semifinal.

But right now I think we have to continuing.

Q. We know you're a very good player on grass. How do you explain the rest of the Spaniards right now, their play on grass?

RAFAEL NADAL: They play good, but not only right now. They play good in the past. Ferrero made quarterfinal here last year. Ferrer fourth round, not last year, two years ago. Verdasco the same. Good chances for being in quarterfinals. I think is nothing new, no?

Q. Do you think some of the former players that were top ranked that didn't play Wimbledon, was that a mistake?

RAFAEL NADAL: In the past?

Q. Like Corretja, Bruguera, these players that often skipped Wimbledon.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it was different moment. I am not one for say is mistake because they know ‑‑ well, everybody knows more than others how (speaking in Spanish).

THE INTERPRETER: They know themselves better than everybody else.

RAFAEL NADAL: I think in the past, I don't know if the ranking was zero if you didn't come here. I didn't know exactly how working. I never going to do something like this. I love play here.

Q. Would you like an early game on Thursday so you can get to the watch the football?

RAFAEL NADAL: I hope so (smiling).

Q. Do you feel confident for first round to go through next round and so on? Was it good for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: I have a difficult draw. I gonna play against very tough opponent, one of the worst opponent who I can play in the second round, being the No. 2 seeded.

Well, Gulbis is a good player. Very aggressive player. Very good serve. He play very aggressive with amazing forehand. He's very young, too.

Q. When you're serving this well, does it put you in a different mentality, the same mentality that Andy Roddick had or Pete Sampras had, that all you have to do is take care of your serve and you win?

RAFAEL NADAL: Not yet. Not yet, no.

Q. Did you hear the person shout 911 when there was an emergency and somebody fell? Did it affect you at all?

RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't know, but I listen, Code 911. I didn't know.

Q. I was wondering if it changed your focus at all.

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I saw everybody looks someplace, but I don't know. The true, I didn't.

rafa_maniac
06-25-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm so glad his english is still so bumbling and... unique. I don't think I'll be able to stomach the day when he can speak it fluently. :sad:

mallorn
06-25-2008, 09:53 AM
:wazzup:

i really don't get what's wrong with what i said:scratch: can anyone make it clear for me, in a more civilised way than the :retard: i_mac
:lol: I don't know but it wouldn't hurt if you got Linda's username right: it's l_mac, not i_mac. ;)

I'm so glad his english is still so bumbling and... unique. I don't think I'll be able to stomach the day when he can speak it fluently. :sad:
I couldn't disagree more, I love when he manages to put a correct sentence together. :rolls:

T2KN
06-25-2008, 10:49 AM
The Spanglish is charming imo.

I hope he has an early match too. http://www.fanforum.com/images/smilies/wiggle.gif

Xoman
06-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Best of luck Xoman! :wavey:
There are many people on MTF who have been to Wibledon or are going this year. You should check out the Wimbledon tournament section or PM our adeegee here.

Thanks MariaV! :wavey:

I didn't get the chance to check the Wimbledon thread before going, but thanks for the tip. I had a good day even though I didn't manage to get to center court. Even though we arrived to the queue at ~03:30 in the morning my friend and I only managed 750 and 751 (with only 500 tickets for center court available) at the queue. At least that was good enough to get into court #1 so I got to see Gasquet, Roddick, Maria Sharapova and Jelena Jankovic. I got glimpses of many players (Tommy Haas, Guillermo Cañas, Gulbis, John Isner, Youzhny, Ivan Ljubicic ... Etc, etc. But Nadal, I only saw him on the big screen for a little while and listen to his match on the radio.

Also I got to see many of the ladies matches. :drool: which being a man I was obviously delighted :drool:
Apart from the 2 mentioned before, I saw Lucie Safarova, Elena Dementieva, Daniela Hantuchova, Nadia Petrova, Flavia Pennetta, Carla Suarez Navarro and her opponent, the gorgeous Galina Voskoboeva. Also I saw Sania Mirza and Venus Williams warming up ... And many more...
About Galina, I was amused to witness what appeared to be as the officials questioning the choice of Galina's dress (white with pretty big stamps all around of what appear to be light blue feathers). I really hate that British attitude with regards to "tradition" being used to imposed the dress code onto the players. ... Ops looks like I am still tired and my brain is not working well. All of this I should post on the MTF Wimbledon thread ... Right? Well, I might do a copy and paste :-)

So, even though I end up knackered, it was well worth it. Although for next year, better to enter into the ballot in December and with a bit of luck ...

And now that Djokovic is out ... Well, I guess it will be up to Nadal to end Roger's streak on grass ... Unless Marat Safin returns to his former self.

Aenea
06-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Rafa is up first tomorrow on court 1

OOP June 26

Court 1 1.00 pm
1. Gentlemen's Singles
Ernests Gulbis (LAT) v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]
2. Ladies' Singles
Alla Kudryavtseva (RUS) v. Maria Sharapova (RUS)[3]
3. Gentlemen's Singles
Chris Eaton (GBR) v. Dmitry Tursunov (RUS)[25]

So Djokovic is out. Now all my hopes are with Bojolic for taking out Roger before the final. Ajde, Bojoliac. :rocker2: Watch Safin beat all the field in the top half and playing the final.

Good luck tomorrow, Rafa!! :clap2:

Thanks for the report Xoman. You had a nice time at Wimbledon. :)

Tnn74
06-25-2008, 10:36 PM
:hug: Good luck Rafa! get though Gulbis so you
could watch the Spanish Team play Russia...

speaking of Russia, anyone else enjoyed the
beatdown Marat put on Faker today... :lol:

l_mac
06-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Good luck against Gulbis, Rafa :bigcry:

the_natural
06-26-2008, 04:30 AM
gulbis is a deadly flashy all rounder it seems, either that or just on a confidence high, thats so dangerous on grass even though its slower this year than last (according to marat) please rafa be at your best and kick his ass outta there, dont wait for errors just play your game and hopefully you'll soon surpass the level you had in the queens final!! (please please please dont make me a jinx!!!).

Xoman
06-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Oh my god.

I am at home (working ;-) and watching the Nadal match. The chair umpire just made a horrible decision. The umpire stole a point to Nadal. Nadal had reached the ball (it is clearly shown on the replay) but the umpire said no and he stole a break point chance from Nadal.
I had to get the name of this useless empire and keep an eye on him... I think his name is John Garner? it is an American.

Tnn74
06-26-2008, 01:17 PM
That was a horrendous call, indeed :mad:
Rarely do you ever see Rafa get upset and he was
very much upset... Worthless umpire, that was BP! :armed:

Come on Rafa! you can do it! :bounce:

Xoman
06-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Well, the danger is over. Nadal has won. Now it should be a walkover to the final.

Well, perhaps it may be tricky if he has to play Murray ... Because of the public.

Aenea
06-26-2008, 03:16 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo:

Congrats, Rafa!! :bigclap: Well done. Another tough opponent beaten. 2 down 5 more to go.

Rafafans :hug:

l_mac
06-26-2008, 03:18 PM
:sad: Out of MIT again.

Kiefer :scared: :unsure: He was on fire today against top grass threat Martin Vassallo Arguello.

Metis
06-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Nadal-Gulbis 5-7 6-2 7-6 6-3 :woohoo:

1st - adee-gee
2nd - MariaV, l_mac
3rd -
4th - tennizen, TMJordan
QF - Metis
SF - acionescu
W- cmurray, Denisse, Foxy, GuiroNl, hra87, Luvyoyoma1954, M.C., nashty, rafa maniac, raven gypsy, scarecrows, shawshank, spriwi, tangerine dream, tennischeto, Tess Gray, Tnn74, Xoman, Xristos

MariaV and l_mac :haha:

http://www.thedeets.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/millionaire_idiot_fail.jpg

Foxy
06-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Nadal-Gulbis 5-7 6-3 7-6 6-3 :woohoo:

It was 6:2 in the second with two breaks.
Rafa started to read better Gulbis' serve from the second set onwards. In fact he switched the way he returns. He was more agressive in the first set and then he just started to block the serve like Federer always does. Definitely Rafa is maturing.

Good luck against Kiefer, mate. :p

Metis
06-26-2008, 03:44 PM
^^^ corrected. Thanks!

nashty
06-26-2008, 03:47 PM
what a relief. next please.

MariaV
06-26-2008, 05:40 PM
:sad: Out of MIT again.

Kiefer :scared: :unsure: He was on fire today against top grass threat Martin Vassallo Arguello.

Yep. :scared: :unsure:

But boy I am glad I lost in MIT today. :lol:

MTF is so annoyingly slow today with all people logged in.

rafa_maniac
06-26-2008, 05:49 PM
The win streak is at 19. I doubt Keifer is going to be the one to stop it.

rafan-GR
06-26-2008, 07:57 PM
tough game today again. i was worried in the first set , but rafa improved his play and stormed to the 3rd round

VAMOS RAFAA!!!

nice to find all the Rafa funs here :)

Tnn74
06-26-2008, 08:17 PM
:lol: Linda and Maria :hug:
Great win Rafa! never in doubt :rocker2:

tangerine_dream
06-27-2008, 05:47 PM
http://www.thedeets.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/millionaire_idiot_fail.jpg
:haha: Where do you find these things?

So I finally watched Rafa's match with Gulbis and I can see why Team Raging Bull was nervous about this kid. Great win for Rafa, though. I enjoyed watching him flip out on the chair umpire :eek: That's the second time this year he's given an earful to the chair ump. He's getting more assertive in his old age, eh? :devil:

Good to hear Rafa's beloved soccer team winning their semifinal match against Russia. This will put him in a great mood and inspire him to win even more. http://i25.tinypic.com/2lmrts6.gif

Aenea
06-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Rafa baby is playing last tomorrow on Center court

OOP June 28

Centre Court 1.00 pm
1. Ladies' Singles
Caroline Wozniacki (DEN)[31] v. Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[2]
2. Gentlemen's Singles
Tommy Haas (GER) v. Andy Murray (GBR)[12]
3. Gentlemen's Singles
Nicolas Kiefer (GER)[27] v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

He was bound to play last :sad: I hope drama queen JJ makes it quick, Tommy(Andy) wins in 3 and Rafa doesn't take too long to finish his match and have enough time to recover.

Vamos, Rafa! Good luck tomorrow! :hearts:

T2KN
06-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Good to hear Rafa's beloved soccer team winning their semifinal match against Russia. This will put him in a great mood and inspire him to win even more.

I've never given a flying fuck about soccer but now I'm cheering for Spain to make sure Rafa doesn't step on court looking like a beaten dog. :p

Metis
06-27-2008, 06:08 PM
:haha: Where do you find these things?

That's a trade secret :)

Well, if you have to know, :secret: google images :lol:

tangerine_dream
06-27-2008, 06:36 PM
I've never given a flying fuck about soccer but now I'm cheering for Spain to make sure Rafa doesn't step on court looking like a beaten dog. :p
:lol: Exactly. I hate soccer, I love to bash it :devil: , but this is the only reason I will be rooting for Spain, because it will make Rafa so happy.

Nicolas Kiefer (GER)[27] v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]
Hey look, it's Spain vs Germany in tennis too. ;)

l_mac
06-27-2008, 09:09 PM
tangy :hug:

Slumming it in here now your dream final is out the window? :dance:

:p

Tnn74
06-28-2008, 02:11 AM

:lol: how could you not? Have you SEEN Casillas and Villa...? :drool:
but really, soccer is a great sport... :yeah:
anyway, they are good friends, Rafa text'd him good luck I believe...
well, good luck against Kiefer Rafa! :hug: Spain vs. Germany :bounce:

T2KN
06-28-2008, 10:11 AM
LOL. Well my stepbrother has tried to make me see the light, to make me see soccer is a fine game filled with finesse and passion, but in vain. It just doesn't appeal to me. When I was watching the match Thursday I constantly forgot the Spain were those in yellow and even went 'oh, no, Russia made a goal' upon which my stepbrother rolled his eyes 'till the back of his head. http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/mtf/images/smilies/redface.gif. It's quite bad.

I do think Ronaldo is hot but even he can't make me interested in the sport.

Rafa can. :D I just know how much it can effect you when your fave in sports loses. I don't want Rafa to be crushed two days before playing his match. That is, if he beats Kiefer today. Fingers crossed but on paper... This is Rafa's.

l_mac
06-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Good Luck to rafa against Kiefer :scared:

Please, if you think it is right God, let Rafi win :)

the_natural
06-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Kiefer can be extremley dangerous, in the way that underdogs have been deadly this year, guys who usually perform badly against rafa have performed brilliantly (roddick davydenko), and those who kicked his a$$ in the past have been hammered when rafa was the underdog (Berdych, Blake).

However the real danger should he pass kiefer who really seems to struggle with rafas spin (he has said so himself that its tough to deal with and i think it gets into his head), will be the 4th round, how come no one is talkin about Youhzny?? He nearly beat rafa last year and has the winning H2H on the fast surfaces and also has that mental edge on rafa cos he aint afraid and matches badly to rafa, and then there is also Stepanek hes so tricky but also hes fearless and has already beaten The swiss so he will be looking for the double and his sv/flat hitting attacking game (as well as the drop shots and short angles and crap) are a horrible match up for rafa.

Should spain lose the final, I dont think rafa will make it (even if he beats kiefer convincingly), he is really hardcore as a fan (and loves spain so much), and he will be deflated in his match against Stepanek/youhzny if they lose, if they win however and gets Youhzny well then maybe the win coupled with the memory of that crushing final in Chennai will make him go in to try and kill him off early.

the_natural
06-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Well, the danger is over. Nadal has won. Now it should be a walkover to the final.

Well, perhaps it may be tricky if he has to play Murray ... Because of the public.

I dunno, rafa has a tough draw, murray/gasguet, even if tipsy makes it through could be tough, then theres stepanek/youhzny!!! arggghhhh... I just hope he stays in the zone. Cos if he doesnt win wimbledon this year particularly if he makes the final, it could be really really crushing for him... especially since the swiss has a red carpet laid out to the final, so thats the most likely opponent rafa will have

nashty
06-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Should spain lose the final, I dont think rafa will make it (even if he beats kiefer convincingly), he is really hardcore as a fan (and loves spain so much), and he will be deflated in his match against Stepanek/youhzny if they lose, if they win however and gets Youhzny well then maybe the win coupled with the memory of that crushing final in Chennai will make him go in to try and kill him off early.

Oh come on. you can't be serious here, no?

Xoman
06-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Oh come on. you can't be serious ...

:D Are you John McEnroe in disguise?

No, seriously. I don't want to speak for "the natural" but you shouldn't worry for the effect Spain's Euro final may have on Nadal's morale. Nadal is immune to that.
But just in case, I can assure you that Spain is going to beat Germany tomorrow night. Of that I am quite certain.

nashty
06-28-2008, 12:19 PM
:D Are you John McEnroe in disguise?

No, seriously. I don't want to speak for "the natural" but you shouldn't worry for the effect Spain's Euro final may have on Nadal's morale. Nadal is immune to that.
But just in case, I can assure you that Spain is going to beat Germany tomorrow night. Of that I am quite certain.

:haha:

oh, I'm not worried at all. I said that 'cause I find it quite funny. I mean, seriously?! Rafa affected by Spain's loss (if ever they lose)?! Rafa?! seriously?! I don't think so.

T2KN
06-28-2008, 12:25 PM
I think Rafa will be able to concentrate even when Spain loses bc he obviously wants Wimbly so bad but I'd rather of course that he isn't possibly distracted by a possibe Spain loss. :shrug:

Xoman
06-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I dunno, rafa has a tough draw, murray/gasguet, even if tipsy makes it through could be tough, then theres stepanek/youhzny!!! arggghhhh... I just hope he stays in the zone. Cos if he doesnt win wimbledon this year particularly if he makes the final, it could be really really crushing for him... especially since the swiss has a red carpet laid out to the final, so thats the most likely opponent rafa will have

The_natural, I agree with you that the draw is tough. But Nadal right now is mentally and physically at a level above. I feared Gulbis because he is and up-and-coming player that just happens to have a ranking of ~50 at present but he will for sure reach top ten in the following 12 - 18 months. All the other players in my view have reached their peak of their progress in the rankings, their progress is "stalled". Hence if Nadal is "in the zone" they don't stand a chance against him.

Metis
06-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Good Luck to rafa against Kiefer :scared:

Please, if you think it is right God, let Rafi win :)

:spit: We finally have our very own Suktuen. We are now complete :bigclap:

cmurray
06-28-2008, 03:02 PM

:haha::haha:

Metis
06-28-2008, 03:13 PM
:haha::haha:

no big fonts and pink letters though :(

T2KN
06-28-2008, 03:36 PM
edit

tennizen
06-28-2008, 03:50 PM

:lol: Did you read Mikey telling Suktuen he always feels better when Suktuen offers her prayers:spit:. I have to say its the same with me when Linda does it:lol:

cmurray
06-28-2008, 04:02 PM
no big fonts and pink letters though :(

Damn Fedtards. They always get the better of us. :mad:

Linda, if you aren't going to put your all into something, don't bother at all. :rolleyes:

Xoman
06-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Nadal 2 sets up 7-6, 6-2 + 1 break up. Common Nadal, hurry up! Is getting late (and dark) We don't want you to have to come back on Monday to finish this, do we?

tennizen
06-28-2008, 08:19 PM
He finishes it despite being a little :retard: in the end. Now Youzhny or Radek:scared::unsure:

Metis
06-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Nadal-Kiefer 7-6(3) 6-2 6-3 :woohoo:

1st - adee-gee
2nd - MariaV, l_mac
3rd -
4th - tennizen, TMJordan
QF - Metis
SF - acionescu

Nobody lost today :sad:

MariaV
06-28-2008, 08:47 PM
That was beautiful today, no? :D :banana: :yippee: :dance: :bounce: Hehe, and the spectators got really into it, loved the atmosphere. :D

And who said Rafa's draw is easy? :scared: :unsure:
I don't know if I'll be able to watch vs Youzhny on Tuesday. :scared: :unsure:

MariaV
06-28-2008, 08:53 PM

:D Good, I'm gonna take your word for it then. :D

RafaTheBest
06-28-2008, 08:59 PM
That was beautiful today, no? :D :banana: :yippee: :dance: :bounce: Hehe, and the spectators got really into it, loved the atmosphere. :D

And who said Rafa's draw is easy? :scared: :unsure:
I don't know if I'll be able to watch vs Youzhny on Tuesday. :scared: :unsure:

They play on Monday, not Tuesday.

MariaV
06-28-2008, 09:42 PM
They play on Monday, not Tuesday.

Yep, I took notice of that already. Thanks. Maybe that's for the better, I'll probably miss the match. :sad:
Welcome to MTF! :wavey:

spriwi
06-28-2008, 09:55 PM
monday or tuesday makes no difference for rafa, it may be a difference for misha as he played for more than 4 hours today with very high intensity.

anyways, it's high time for the upcoming wimbledon champion to prove that he can beat the 100% fit youzhny on grass, is it not ? :)

Tnn74
06-28-2008, 10:51 PM
congrats Rafito on the victory! :bounce:
Now rest up and take care of Misha! :rocker2:
Hopefully Spain wins, he would be a happy little Mowgli :lol:

Eden
06-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Rafa's interview after the match against Kiefer, includes Fedal stuff :p

Saturday, 28 June 2008

http://mfile.akamai.com/25457/wmv/wimbledonxp.download.akamai.com/25457/wimbledon/streaming/2008/shortclips/free_interview_10454815_28062008_500.wmv

(clip)

Rafael Nadal def. Nicolas Kiefer 7-6 (7-3), 6-2, 6-3

Q. First of two wins for Spain against Germany this weekend, you hope.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, tomorrow is another history, no? Happy for my win, but tomorrow is very important.

Q. You've said on the television you have the other Spanish players coming to your house tomorrow.

RAFAEL NADAL: Maybe.

Q. When you play a singles match, what do you enjoy most about having just one other person out there on the field of play with you? What do you like most about this aspect of the competition?

RAFAEL NADAL: I like the competition in all aspects, no? I like to compete in everything. The tennis is a big competition because you play alone against another one, so is nice competition. And I love the competition in all aspects.

Q. How much do you enjoy the mental side of going against just one other person and you're the only two people out there?

RAFAEL NADAL: The true, I never thought before something like this. I didn't thought, no? I don't know. Try my best every point and try to be focused during all the match.

Q. Were you struggling to see the ball near the end? How were you finding it?

RAFAEL NADAL: A little bit nervous, because for me was important finish the match. I had an unbelievable mistake with the volley, the forehand volley in the 5 1, and later he has a very good serve game. And, well, lucky for me later I played a good game.

Q. Was it hard to see?

RAFAEL NADAL: Little bit.

Q. Your thoughts on the match tomorrow? Are you confident?

RAFAEL NADAL: About?

Q. The football tomorrow, are you confident?

RAFAEL NADAL: If we are not confident right now with this team we never gonna be confident, no? For sure we are with the foots here, but gonna be tough.

Q. You could have helped them with your win tonight.

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think I gonna help nothing, but for sure tomorrow I gonna be supporting the Spanish team hundred percent, no?

Q. What do you think about Andy Murray's progress so far? Is he looking fitter and stronger to you?

RAFAEL NADAL: No.

Q. No different to previous years?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I don't think, no. I think Andy is a very good player. What do you think? Right now he's more in better performance than one month ago?

Q. Looks he can go the distance now.

RAFAEL NADAL: Right now he's better form than two weeks ago? That's your opinion?

Q. Possibly.

RAFAEL NADAL: I am not agree. I am not agree. I think Andy is very good player. He can win in every tournament because he has very good talent for do anything. But I think here he's doing very well because he's in a very positive attitude. I saw him today play before my match, and he's all the time supporting himself. Well, all the time in positive attitude, so for that reason he's doing well, not because he's more good performance physically or something like this. I am not agree with that.

Q. If you met him in the quarterfinal, would you be prepared to be the villain of Centre Court?

RAFAEL NADAL: Right now I am focused on fourth round. You can ask me after fourth round if I win.

Q. Your routine before each point where you take a long time bouncing the ball, how important is that to you to take so much time and to set yourself?

RAFAEL NADAL: Depends of the moment. When I bounce the ball more times because I am not clear the option to do: serving to the T, serving outside, serving to the body, thinking a lot of times. So when I decide, I serve.

Q. When you think back to your matches over the years with Roger Federer, you think about your differences in styles, how different is it, and what is so different between the two of you? You and Roger Federer, what are the biggest differences between the two of you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think he's more elegant player. I think he has more options to do on court. He can do everything: serve and volley; he can serve better than me; the forehand he can play, well, more aggressive than me. Probably the defensive shot I have little bit better than him. But I think in the global, I think he's more complete than me in all aspects, no?

Q. And what's similar, the same, or close to the same?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think we are very focused all the time, no? Because, well, he's doing better results than me in the last years. But both, we are doing very good results, no, winning or being in the final rounds in a lot of tournaments during the season, so that's very difficult. And both, I think we have a good mentality, no?

Source: http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2008-06-28/200806281214688172046.html

l_mac
06-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Rafa :hug: You're worth 10 of him.

Thank You to God and Baby Jesus, and anyone else up there who help Rafi win today :worship:

VAMOS RAFA WIN WIN!!

Eden
06-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Just to add a few thoughts if you don't mind:

I don't think it's so nice to make fun of a foreign fellow MTF user as Suktuen. First English isn't her mother language and second we don't know how important religion is to her. If she feels the need to ask God for support it's up to her.

Maybe I have a different sense of humour, but I just don't consider it really funny to joke about someone who doesn't has the chance to defend herself.

It's nothing personal against anyone in here and it's your Rafa forum afterall, but I just felt the need to say this :)

l_mac
06-29-2008, 12:07 AM

I don't think it's so nice to make fun of a foreign fellow MTF user as Suktuen. First English isn't her mother language and second we don't know how important religion is to her. If she feels the need to ask God for support it's up to her.

Maybe I have a different sense of humour, but I just don't consider it really funny to joke about someone who doesn't has the chance to defend herself.

It's nothing personal against anyone in here and it's your Rafa forum afterall, but I just felt the need to say this :)

Sorry Doris :sad:

But I am now choosing to model my prayers on ones made by Ricky Bobby, rather than Sutken, so hopefully further offense will be spared.

Eden
06-29-2008, 12:21 AM
Sorry Doris :sad:

No need to apologize Linda :hug:

I wouldn't have said anything if the mockery would be against one of the usual GM trolls, but as Suktuen never posts there, I just thought to comment.

But I am now choosing to model my prayers on ones made by Ricky Bobby, rather than Sutken, so hopefully further offense will be spared.

Who is Ricky Bobby? :confused: Someone important? :scared:

Beside this I don't think Rafa needs any prayers of his fans, he is doing just fine ;)

rafa_maniac
06-29-2008, 06:38 AM
oy, these constant questions about murray all the players are getting asked are getting tiresome and silly. hope he loses soon...

l_mac
06-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Who is Ricky Bobby? :confused: Someone important? :scared:
No, a ridiculous character from a movie :lol: (Tallageda Nights) Will Ferrell :inlove: :worship: He prayed to the Baby Jesus all the time.

Beside this I don't think Rafa needs any prayers of his fans, he is doing just fine ;)

One might be tempted to say the same about Fed :angel:

Aenea
06-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Rafa is second tomorrow on Court 1

OOP June 30

Court 1 1.00 pm
1. Ladies' Singles
Nicole Vaidisova (CZE)[18] v. Anna Chakvetadze (RUS)[8]
2. Gentlemen's Singles
Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)[17] v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]
3. Gentlemen's Singles
Marat Safin (RUS) v. Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI)[13]

I hope Youzhny doesn't have much in the tank left after those 2 tough 5 setters.

Best of luck Rafa babe! :hearts:

Foxy
06-29-2008, 10:37 AM

Come on, Eden. I don't even want to mention what nasty things are you all doing in your Fed forum.
So, let's not start again. It was just a little joke. I don't think anyone of us should apologise for every word said here. This is by far the most friendly forum towards the opposition forums.

T2KN
06-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I watched Nadal playing in this Wimbledon and even though he is praised by everybody I noticed:

– that 'fire' he had at Queen's is now missing and often looks a bit nervous (uncharacteristic)
– whereas at Queen's he flattened the ball and shortened the points he kinda went back to long rallies (especially at the match with Kiefer)
– his confidence/success at the net is less so now than it was at Queen's (where he looked to be enjoying the net volleys).

Puzzled. Is he saving himself for the bigger matches to come?

Hm, thoughts? I also think he was playing better at Queens for all the same reasons. Maybe it's the same as Fed saying his tournament starts the 2nd week, maybe he's indeed waiting for the bigger matches to 'unleash' himself fully. :shrug:

tennizen
06-29-2008, 11:29 AM

Doris, I understand what you are saying but I disagree with some aspects of it.

I think her lack of English or her being foreign has nothing to do with her being talked about. A lot of people here on MTF communicate with a rather rudimentary knowledge of English and they get by. So no one is laughing at her for that. And secondly it is amusing that a person finds the need to post a prayer for her favorite player. It doesn't mean that we are laughing at her belief in God in anyway.

But why doesn't she have the chance to defend herself? In my first days, I lurked over at the Fed forum and some one made a reference to me. I posted there to defend myself. I don't think she reads this forum but if she does, she certainly can say something. If you are accusing us of talking without people's knowledge behind their back, I agree we are guilty of that but in that case it doesn't matter if we are talking of Suktuen or any other person on MTF. It's too deep rooted an illness for us and we can't get over it easily:)

yana
06-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Youzhny is scary :scared:

Edit: Let's all pray, Rafatards! :bigclap: :p

The Pro
06-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Haha, found this hilarious video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktn4WrP55Vw

Rafa you twit, :p

NaDALiTa
06-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Youzhny :scared: :scared: Rafa's draw isn't that easy afterall!

Nice interview!!

Eden
06-29-2008, 04:46 PM
No, a ridiculous character from a movie :lol: (Tallageda Nights) Will Ferrell :inlove: :worship: He prayed to the Baby Jesus all the time.

Oh, ok, thanks for clearing up :)

One might be tempted to say the same about Fed :angel:

But you know that everyone is writing him off :sad:

Come on, Eden. I don't even want to mention what nasty things are you all doing in your Fed forum.
So, let's not start again. It was just a little joke. I don't think anyone of us should apologise for every word said here. This is by far the most friendly forum towards the opposition forums.

No players forum is better as the other one :) You find bitching everywhere on MTF.

Doris, I understand what you are saying but I disagree with some aspects of it.

I think her lack of English or her being foreign has nothing to do with her being talked about. A lot of people here on MTF communicate with a rather rudimentary knowledge of English and they get by. So no one is laughing at her for that. And secondly it is amusing that a person finds the need to post a prayer for her favorite player. It doesn't mean that we are laughing at her belief in God in anyway.

I don't find it necessary to send a prayer to a player as well as only the player himself can help himself out there on the court, but apparently Suktuen thinks otherwise.

But why doesn't she have the chance to defend herself? In my first days, I lurked over at the Fed forum and some one made a reference to me. I posted there to defend myself. I don't think she reads this forum but if she does, she certainly can say something. If you are accusing us of talking without people's knowledge behind their back, I agree we are guilty of that but in that case it doesn't matter if we are talking of Suktuen or any other person on MTF. It's too deep rooted an illness for us and we can't get over it easily:)

But that's exactly the point I was refering to, Hema: Suktuen never posts elsewhere apart from the Federer forum. I don't think she reads in other threads.

MTF is the place where people talk about others behind their backs, but the majority probably knows it because they lurk around in the interesting threads ;)

I don't have a problem when people tease others who deserve it, but I just didn't found it so funny that Suktuen was mocked, especially for something religious, which obviously means a lot to her.

But I already know that I take MTF to seriously to often, therefore I probably just made a mountain out of a molehill. Please forgive me for this :)

And now back on topic:

Wimbledon: Manuel Santana sees Nadal in his mirror down route '66
By David Miller
29/06/2008

The contrast between Manuel Santana, the first and thus far last Spaniard to win Wimbledon, in 1966, and Rafael Nadal is as extreme as that between, say, Stanley Matthews and Wayne Rooney.

All have reflected their own era. With his victory over Nicolas Kiefer yesterday, Nadal is on course to emulate Santana. At 22 he is six years younger than that previous clay-court magician, whose refinement of touch and angles, on clay and eventually grass too, has arguably never been surpassed.

Nor has his sunny equanimity. Yet Santana, today still omnipotent in Madrid in upholding national tennis prestige, believes this can be Nadal's year to claim the ultimate tennis prize.

The key to such achievement, following Nadal's third successive Paris crown, lies in his improved adjustment to the grass surface. Santana, whose footwork matched that of Fred Astaire, detects a new fluency in his young compatriot's movement about court.

"Grass is always a challenge for us Spaniards," Santana says. "Rafa's improved footwork, his approach to shots, is allowing him more time to judge his angles, to apply his power the way he does on clay.

"We saw in his victory at Queen's that he's moving much better than last year, that he's better balanced when reaching the ball, whether slicing or driving. He's serving better, too, and was sharper on his return of Andy Roddick's first serve".

Having grown up as a ball-boy, Santana's determination to master the pace of the grass game and the low bounces persuaded him to bypass Roland Garros – having won the clay-court title in 1961 and 1964 to huge acclaim – especially to study a different language.

So shrewdly did he learn that he won the US grand slam in 1965, then still held on grass at Forest Hill. That year he also led Spain to an unprecedented 4-1 Davis Cup victory over the United States, and although Spain surrendered the final to Australia, Santana inflicted one of Roy Emerson's rare singles defeats.

General Franco awarded him the prestigious Medal of Isabella as the nation suddenly became tennis-aware. Part of the art of grass-court play has always been the mid-court game, the ability to play half-volleys when the return of service arrives at your feet when coming into volley, perfected by the likes of Stefan Edberg.

Not only did Santana destroy opponents with top spin and drop shots but he could play devilish half-volleys.

"In my day the majority of top players were grass-court serve and volleyers," Santana reflects. "Now the game has changed, players are staying back more. Rafa doesn't need the half-volley touch to the same degree; it's not so important because he schemes a point with his power from the baseline and only advances when he has out-manoeuvred the opponent and is confident of putting away a volley winner.

"I'm amazed at the way players adjust to grass so swiftly nowadays, following six weeks or so on clay. Rafa's victory over (Ernests) Gulbis, after losing the first set, demonstrated his adjustment. You could say that losing the first set was important because it meant he had to establish his authority. There are always difficulties in the first week, nobody's playing to the gallery at Wimbledon, just playing for survival.

"But Rafa showed he's on the way – alive and right where he should be."

An increasingly enthusiastic Santana last night said: ''Rafa's service yesterday evening was better than ever and he is now in finest form.

"I think in the second week he will be even stronger. I never had his strength from the baseline. Even though he's only 22 he plays with the assurance of someone older, he's already been at the top of the game for some while. And he's a fighter on every point, never gives up."

Santana concedes that a Wimbledon winner needs some luck on the way.

"I had that in '66 in the final against Dennis Ralston, who defeated me in the quarter-final at Queen's. I was fortunate to take the long second set 11-9 in the Wimbledon final, when I was really struggling. Then I played my best tennis of the tournament. Nothing about Rafa surprises me so far. It's time Spain had another winner!"

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/06/29/utsantana129.xml

Castafiore
06-29-2008, 05:17 PM
But you know that everyone is writing him off :sad:
No offence, Doris, but that line is getting REALLY old.

Thanks for the Santana article, though. ;)

PS Why am I seeing ads for the official site for Tom Cruise here on MTF?

tennizen
06-29-2008, 08:46 PM
But that's exactly the point I was refering to, Hema: Suktuen never posts elsewhere apart from the Federer forum. I don't think she reads in other threads.

MTF is the place where people talk about others behind their backs, but the majority probably knows it because they lurk around in the interesting threads ;)

I don't have a problem when people tease others who deserve it, but I just didn't found it so funny that Suktuen was mocked, especially for something religious, which obviously means a lot to her.

But I already know that I take MTF to seriously to often, therefore I probably just made a mountain out of a molehill. Please forgive me for this :)

Doris, I just meant to express my view as you did yours. I have a different notion and I don't think anybody deserves to be laughed about more than the others but I do see your point too. So let's leave it at that:hug: And you don't have to apologize for writing what you think:lol::hug:

raven gypsy
06-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Now that Spain has won....

Rafa and Feli, not TOO much celebrating :devil:
You still have to play tomorrow... :p :angel:

Congrats boys...

Tnn74
06-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Good Luck Rafa baby! :hug:
Spain did it, now's your turn :bounce:

GuiroNl
06-30-2008, 04:34 PM
This tactical MTO stuff in GM today at 1-0* 30-40 in the first set was really something else :silly::retard:

Aenea
06-30-2008, 04:45 PM
This tactical MTO stuff in GM today at 1-0* 30-40 in the first set was really something else :silly::retard:

Ignore it. The most important thing is Rafa won :woohoo: and I hope he didn't hurt himself too bad. It would be highly unfortunate if he were to abandon the tournament with an injury.

Congrats, Rafa for reaching the QF. :bigclap:

Metis
06-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Nadal-Youzhny 6-3 6-3 6-1:woohoo:

1st - adee-gee
2nd - MariaV, l_mac
3rd -
4th - tennizen, TMJordan
QF - Metis
SF - acionescu

tennizen and TMJordan, hihi you lose :rolls:

A British related image for you: :)

http://media.g4tv.com/images/blog/2007/11/27/633317514784490542.jpg

Me next :scared: :bolt:

l_mac
06-30-2008, 05:01 PM
I thought Rafa played really well today, but I am bricking it about his knee.

:scared:

tennizen
06-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Nadal-Youzhny 6-3 6-3 6-1:woohoo:

tennizen and TMJordan, hihi you lose :rolls:

A British related image for you: :)

:rolls: There should have been two people falling down.

GuiroNl
06-30-2008, 05:49 PM

I seriously hope it's nothing bad. Normally I don't really let a sports result affect my personal life, but I would be pretty damn sad for a minute or 5 if this is going to stop him from reaching the finals (or winning it).

Metis
06-30-2008, 05:56 PM
:rolls: There should have been two people falling down.

:lol: you're too demanding :p

NaDALiTa
06-30-2008, 06:48 PM
I don't want to Rafa to play gasquet,it will be so unbearable to watch it on TV with French commentators...I had to stop watching the match against Murray,they were so biaised :mad:

The Pro
06-30-2008, 07:04 PM
I don't want to Rafa to play gasquet,it will be so unbearable to watch it on TV with French commentators...I had to stop watching the match against Murray,they were so biaised :mad:

The british commentators are bad for it too. Especially Andrew Castle, he talks so much shit. Even Tim Henman manages to be neutral.

MariaV
06-30-2008, 08:16 PM

Oh I really hope it's nothing serious. :hug:

Tnn74
06-30-2008, 08:17 PM
:woohoo: Vamos Rafito!
I hope that knee is okay... :hug:

Xoman
06-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Murray - Gasquet has just finished. Murray has won winning the last 3 sets (of 5). The behavior of the public (and Murray) has been disgusting at times. I am confident that Nadal will be able not to let the public get to his nerves/head. That was where Gasquet has failed IMHO, Gasquet complaints where like pouring gasoline on fire: The public just kept on increasing the pressure.
I am concerned about the mental tiredness toll of having to deal with Murray + unruly supporting public. I hope Nadal just blows Murray off the court so he it doesn't give the public the chance to get "involved".

mallorn
06-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Rafa's presser. He's not giving away much re the injury.
R. Nadal Interview - 30 June

Monday, 30 June 2008

R. NADAL/M. Youzhny

6 3, 6 3, 6 1

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Rafael Nadal.

Q. How is your knee?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think fine.

Q. Have you had it checked out?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, nothing very important. That's sure.

Q. You weren't too concerned then, even when you had to have the restrapping? You weren't too bothered? You felt okay, felt fine?
RAFAEL NADAL: I felt a little bit. I felt a little bit pain. I was a little bit scared because I felt something. I felt, well, crack something a little behind. But I think it's fine, no?

Q. Was there ever a moment you thought you would have to pull out?
RAFAEL NADAL: This is a lot. No, no. I never thought about that, no.

Q. How much have you had to battle through pain in your career, and how important is that quality in you?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think I am fine. I don't have a lot of pains. Like every professional sportsman have pain because our body's always at a hundred percent. We go to the limit, no?
But I think no more than the rest.

Q. Can we say that today the match was easier than expected for you?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure. 6 3, 6 3, 6 1 against one difficult opponent like Youzhny for me is very good result. I did very good match, so happy for the victory. Especially very happy because I am playing well and I'm in quarterfinals.

Q. Have you ever had the problem with your knee before? Have you had the same trouble with your knee before?
RAFAEL NADAL: Was not the knee.

Q. It was below the knee?
RAFAEL NADAL: Was behind the knee.

Q. Have you had that before?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, no. Was a bad movement.

Q. Could you talk us through the challenges you would face with your next opponent, Gasquet or Murray.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, both are very good players, young players. The same age like me. Andy one less probably, yes. Young players. Good players. Both gonna be very tough opponents. I know that. I have to play my best tennis if I want to be in the semifinals.

Q. Do you think today was your most complete performance so far at Wimbledon?
RAFAEL NADAL: Today? I played well. I played very well.

Q. If it is Andy Murray in the next game, do you think the Wimbledon crowd will be a difficult thing to overcome?
RAFAEL NADAL: Wimbledon crowd always are very respectus (sic) with everybody. And with me, when I go on court, I feel the people are with me always, so that's very nice. I just can say thank you very much for the England people and the London people. I felt the same last week in Queen's. Well, I am very happy about the crowd here always.
I know if I play against Andy Murray, probably the crowd gonna be with him. But I think with me gonna be nice, too, no?

Q. Before the tournament started you said your idea of a dream would be for Spain to win the football and for you to win Wimbledon. How do you feel halfway now?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think for right now we have the first thing, and the second gonna be difficult.

Q. Did you celebrate last night?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, for sure I celebrate. But, you know, I play today. I can't go out and celebrate. But at home, yes.

Q. You won 21 points at the net out of 24. What does it mean for you?
RAFAEL NADAL: Unbelievable volley (smiling).
That's mean I was playing very good from the baseline, because when I arrive to the net, I arrive in always very good position. That's what that mean for me.

Q. How did you celebrate the football result?
RAFAEL NADAL: Jumping.

Q. Champagne or jumping did you say?
RAFAEL NADAL: Jumping. Champagne will reserve for finish the tournament.

Q. Where did you watch it and who was with you?
RAFAEL NADAL: We watch it here at home with my team and the team of Feliciano López. There like 10 persons, 11, 12. I don't know.

Q. Have you sent any messages of congratulations to any of the players?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I send to Casillas, sure.

Q. Did you find it quite draining, watching the game last night? Was it hard emotionally? Did it take a lot of energy out of you?
RAFAEL NADAL: If I say that and today I won 6 3, 6 3, 6 1 I going to be very stupid, no?

Q. If Andy Murray doesn't win Wimbledon, do you think the crowd here would like you to win it more than anybody else now?
RAFAEL NADAL: Ask the crowd. I am not nobody for say what the crowd wants. I just can say when I go on court I feel the crowd support me a lot.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2008-06-30/200806301214852824000.html

dorkino
06-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks Ania. :)

Aurora
06-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Reading that, I'm more confident the "injury" isn't an injury. Just a little scare. For sure the painkiller would have been long gone and by the presser the body has cooled down and he seems quite specific that he feels nothing. Of course, he doesn't want the opponents looking into his cards, but Rafa is the guy who would avoid the issue in stead of plain, hardboiled lying.

Murray - Gasquet has just finished. Murray has won winning the last 3 sets (of 5). The behavior of the public (and Murray) has been disgusting at times. I am confident that Nadal will be able not to let the public get to his nerves/head. That was where Gasquet has failed IMHO, Gasquet complaints where like pouring gasoline on fire: The public just kept on increasing the pressure.
I am concerned about the mental tiredness toll of having to deal with Murray + unruly supporting public. I hope Nadal just blows Murray off the court so he it doesn't give the public the chance to get "involved".

At the end of the Kiefer match, I do think Rafa was a bit influenced by the noise. :shrug: but perhaps more because he wasn't expecting it. With Murray, he'll be quite prepared - shutting himself from the rest of the world even more.
And yeah, I agree with your last sentence.
:devil: although it would be sweet when he could have some big pumping celebrations in front of an insane public like tonight. But rather not, it would mean the match gets really close :scared:.

Naide
07-01-2008, 07:21 AM
F*** i'm always late for the predictions :(

Good luck rafa :D

yana
07-01-2008, 01:28 PM

You better lose!! :( :armed:

:)

Aenea
07-01-2008, 02:59 PM
OOP July, 2 Rafa on Center Court again

Centre Court 1.00 pm
1. Gentlemen's Singles
Roger Federer (SUI)[1] v. Mario Ancic (CRO)
2. Gentlemen's Singles
Andy Murray (GBR)[12] v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Court 1 1.00 pm
1. Gentlemen's Singles
Marat Safin (RUS) v. Feliciano Lopez (ESP)[31]
2. Gentlemen's Singles
Rainer Schuettler (GER) v. Arnaud Clement (FRA)

Good luck for your match against Murray tomorrow, Rafa!:bigclap: Fingers crossed you trash Muzza in straights.
I hope Andy doesn't behave like yesterday after winning the 3rd set and gives me a reason to keep liking him.

GuiroNl
07-01-2008, 06:46 PM
So what's the deal with the 'injury'? In his blog he says that there's nothing wrong, but I read a post on MTF today saying that he did not show up for practice.

Any news?

mallorn
07-01-2008, 06:54 PM
He did eventually show up for practice with some pink tape on the injured leg. http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/599/photos;_ylt=Ak_1jr6d0KWHmA8_FfMbZhExv7YF

Someone said on VB that Toni was on Italian TV and said Rafa was ok. That's all the news. Basically, we'll have to wait and see. http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_nervous.gif

GuiroNl
07-01-2008, 07:16 PM
He did eventually show up for practice with some pink tape on the injured leg. http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/599/photos;_ylt=Ak_1jr6d0KWHmA8_FfMbZhExv7YF

Someone said on VB that Toni was on Italian TV and said Rafa was ok. That's all the news. Basically, we'll have to wait and see. http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_nervous.gif

Thanks for the info

Aurora
07-01-2008, 08:26 PM
According to the former Belgian pro, now journalist Filip Dewulf Rafa didn't show for his original scheduled practice because he was shopping with his mother and sister. :shrug: doubt it, but for what it's worth :lol:

http://blog.sport.be/thegraveyard/

NaDALiTa
07-01-2008, 10:47 PM
If he says he's not injured then he is not injured,there's a lot of players playing with this pink tape,it doesn't mean they are injured :shrug:

Tomorrow Rafa will have to be strong mentally!British crowd+Murray :scared:

TMJordan
07-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I just hope Rafa is ok tommorow :sobbing:

Tnn74
07-01-2008, 11:16 PM
I must admit, the pink tape does make me somewhat nervous...
but if he says he is okay, then we just have to take his word for it :scared:
anyway, good luck against Muzza and the crowd tomorrow Rafa! :hug:

l_mac
07-01-2008, 11:40 PM

:hug:

As always, lovely to see you posting outside the chat thread. :D

NaDALiTa
07-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm sure he'll be ok!! :hug:

**** I'll miss Rafa's match :sad:

cmurray
07-02-2008, 12:26 AM

Shut up, Jordan. :lol:

T2KN
07-02-2008, 03:19 AM
According to the former Belgian pro, now journalist Filip Dewulf Rafa didn't show for his original scheduled practice because he was shopping with his mother and sister. :shrug: doubt it, but for what it's worth :lol:

http://blog.sport.be/thegraveyard/

I can picture him carrying their Topshop and Miss Selfridge bags already. LOL.

Either way, I hope he'll get rid of Murray easily and that his behind-the-knee problem doesn't cause any trouble.

the_natural
07-02-2008, 11:11 AM
:haha:

oh, I'm not worried at all. I said that 'cause I find it quite funny. I mean, seriously?! Rafa affected by Spain's loss (if ever they lose)?! Rafa?! seriously?! I don't think so.

I just said that cos it was youhzny, and rafa lost to the Duck back in Dubai and apparently spain had lost back then, and it was some of hte worst tennis rafa had ever played and he was so passionate strong belief they would win euro, i didnt think he would be able to beat one of his worst opponents if spain had lost, but now im going to pull more hair out cos murray is scaring me, hes strong and fit, he trains hard and hes really showing it.... its freakish, AND he feeds of the crowd....

Come on u gotta be a little bit worried, u have to have no fingernails left i mean... damn it man this is just the biggest match of the tournament, and murrays serve is huge, hes dealing well with the pressure hes high from a 2-0 4-5 deficit win, hes got the whole of england talking... he knows how to play rafa he knwos he can beat him and he believes it more now than ever, hes so freakin dangerous, if rafa beats him i promise i wont start pulling more hair out until the final because Clement and schuettler.... yehhhh its win win really...
\
\
\But I have reason to be afraid of this match because murray is probably the 2nd best in terms of form, out of those left in the tournament, and rafa did hurt his knee a little, even if theres no damage, even if its a bit sore if it makes him half a step slower than usual it can be freakin dangerous he needs to be at 100% to beat murray under the circumstances. especially since murray believes he can make the finals this year hes been talking himself up all year

the_natural
07-02-2008, 11:14 AM
The_natural, I agree with you that the draw is tough. But Nadal right now is mentally and physically at a level above. I feared Gulbis because he is and up-and-coming player that just happens to have a ranking of ~50 at present but he will for sure reach top ten in the following 12 - 18 months. All the other players in my view have reached their peak of their progress in the rankings, their progress is "stalled". Hence if Nadal is "in the zone" they don't stand a chance against him.

werent u the one who predicted rafa to win the RG final in straights in crushing style?? u keep the faith ill keep the negative worried mother mentality, i prefer being wrong, u on the other hand have a freaky ability to predict the outcomes of matches, no predict that he will win the title this year and not get injured. Dooo it... NOW! I will say im afraid of murray i dont know if he can win even if he does it will be 5 grueling sets that could leave him vulnerable and he will be worn out even if he makes the final, even though i want him to win, I really though last year and 06 were his years too, it seems the better he plays the more heartbreaking the loss in the finals!!! :sad::sad::sad::sad: please prove me wrong like u did at RG!

nashty
07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
I just said that cos it was youhzny, and rafa lost to the Duck back in Dubai and apparently spain had lost back then, and it was some of hte worst tennis rafa had ever played and he was so passionate strong belief they would win euro, i didnt think he would be able to beat one of his worst opponents if spain had lost, but now im going to pull more hair out cos murray is scaring me, hes strong and fit, he trains hard and hes really showing it.... its freakish, AND he feeds of the crowd....

Come on u gotta be a little bit worried, u have to have no fingernails left i mean... damn it man this is just the biggest match of the tournament, and murrays serve is huge, hes dealing well with the pressure hes high from a 2-0 4-5 deficit win, hes got the whole of england talking... he knows how to play rafa he knwos he can beat him and he believes it more now than ever, hes so freakin dangerous, if rafa beats him i promise i wont start pulling more hair out until the final because Clement and schuettler.... yehhhh its win win really...
\
\
\But I have reason to be afraid of this match because murray is probably the 2nd best in terms of form, out of those left in the tournament, and rafa did hurt his knee a little, even if theres no damage, even if its a bit sore if it makes him half a step slower than usual it can be freakin dangerous he needs to be at 100% to beat murray under the circumstances. especially since murray believes he can make the finals this year hes been talking himself up all year

Well, what I said I was not worried about is Rafa being affected by a (what-could-have-been) loss of Spain.

Of course, I am always a bit worried of his matches. This Murray (plus the crowd), yes I am worried, but not as worried as if Rafa can't make it. I believe in Rafa. I believe that he can beat Federer in the final. That being said, I believe he can win against Murray later 'cause why would I believe that he can win against Fed when he can't win against Murray, right?

Don't worry MUCH. Let's just hope Rafa's fine and that he beats Murray later.

the_natural
07-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Well, what I said I was not worried about is Rafa being affected by a (what-could-have-been) loss of Spain.

Of course, I am always a bit worried of his matches. This Murray (plus the crowd), yes I am worried, but not as worried as if Rafa can't make it. I believe in Rafa. I believe that he can beat Federer in the final. That being said, I believe he can win against Murray later 'cause why would I believe that he can win against Fed when he can't win against Murray, right?

Don't worry MUCH. Let's just hope Rafa's fine and that he beats Murray later.

This is why i come to this forum :) so good to have support

Metis
07-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Nadal-Murray 6-3 6-2 6-4 :worship:

1st - adee-gee
2nd - MariaV, l_mac
3rd -
4th - tennizen, TMJordan
QF - Metis
SF - acionescu

Very sad... I lose again :awww:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/funny-pictures-bird-cat-cage.jpg

Xoman
07-02-2008, 07:33 PM
werent u the one who predicted rafa to win the RG final in straights in crushing style??
:sad::sad::sad::sad: please prove me wrong like u did at RG!

Yes, I did predict that Nadal will win RG "comfortably" in 3 sets.

Sorry, I can't prove you wrong ... But Nadal can :-) If you seen today's performance against Murray that should had been prove enough.

5 gone, 2 to go.

tangerine_dream
07-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Andy on a stick. :drool:

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/6057/murraypopcj1.jpg

mallorn
07-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Rafa's presser. :)

R. Nadal Interview - 2 July

Wednesday, 2 July 2008
Rafael Nadal def Andy Murray 6-3, 6-2, 6-4

Q. What part of your game were you particularly happy with today?
RAFAEL NADAL: Everything. Everything.

Q. If that's the case, where did this win rate among your other great wins at Wimbledon? Was it your best performance here?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure the second half of the first and the second set especially probably was my best match here.

Q. Why is that?
RAFAEL NADAL: You never know, no? I don't know. You know, today was a special match, play against big player like Andy. And, well, there's a big motivation -- well, for me be in the semifinals is a goal, too. Just go on the court and play my best. The true, I was playing very well before this match, and I arrive to this match playing with good confidence and tactic. After the normal beginning, a little bit nervous, I start playing very well, no?

Q. How important was it to be aggressive from the very start today? Although you say you were nervous, it was important to impose your game on him.
RAFAEL NADAL: I played very aggressive all the time, no? When I have little bit time - when I don't have time, too - I try to hit the ball every time close to the lines. Well, is one of my best days here, no? Because I know if I play slow or something like this, Andy has a big hands and is very difficult beat him, no? So the chance for beat him is try to play him a little bit higher rhythm than him, so that's I was trying always the same. You know, Andy is a very good player. And if you are not overcome rhythm him, is very difficult to beat him.

Q. Was it difficult for you that everybody supported Murray?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think the crowd was extremely fair, no? Well, sure, all the time supporting Andy, but nothing more than usual, no? So I felt very well on court. Just can say thank you very much, everybody, the crowd. Every day I go on court, I said the other day, I felt the people were supporting me. And today, sure, the people support Andy a little bit more, but were supporting me, too. Andy have a good comportation (sic) , too, no?
THE INTERPRETER: Behavior.

Q. At 5-4 in the third set, the crowd were hoping for the same thing that Murray did to Gasquet. Were you conscious of that?
RAFAEL NADAL: Every match is different, no? I think about continuing play aggressive, put a good first serve. And, well, before I start the match I thought, Well, he didn't has a breakpoint during all the match, why right now he gonna break me?

Q. Do you think you've served better on grass than you did today?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think against Youzhny I served a little bit better, no? Because in the beginning I had only 59%. Against Youzhny I had more than 70%. Finally I have 62%, I saw here. Is not bad, because I am serving faster.

Q. If Rafa Nadal of this year played Rafa Nadal of last year in a match, what would the score be?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think I gonna win right now (smiling).

Q. What's the score?
RAFAEL NADAL: The score. I don't know the score. Last year I played very good matches, too. Quarterfinals against Berdych was very good. The last three sets against Youzhny in fourth round was very good, too. The final against Roger was very good match.

Q. The one thing in your game that's better this year?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think I am doing a lot of things better than last year. Slice better. The position on court, in my opinion, I felt like this is better. Playing more aggressive with the forehand all the time, and the backhand is feeling well, too, no?

Q. You talked about your tactics and your plans when you went into the game, how you would play Andy Murray. Who exactly makes the plans? Is it you or your coach?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. The coach always says something before the match, no? My coach says, Play your game; don't think too much. You are playing well, so continuing play like the days before and play aggressive. That's it. That's what he told me before the match. I tried. I did very well today. Sometimes working; sometimes not working. Depends of the moment, no?

Q. How do you feel about the inevitable prospect of playing Roger Federer in the final compared with this stage last year?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am in semifinals. What is the score?

Q. One set all.
RAFAEL NADAL: I gonna have a difficult match against Clément or Schuettler because they are playing well. If they are in semifinals, is because they are playing very well. And, you know, I don't want to think about the final. Not yet.

Q. Do you think you have a better chance of winning the tournament than 12 months ago?
RAFAEL NADAL: Last year was close. Only one more point and probably I have the trophy in my home. Disappointing have another plate. But, you know, was close last year. I don't know if this year I gonna have more chances for win the title, because last year I play the final and this year I am in semifinals only. I have to play very well if I want to win this tournament. I am playing well, but I don't know if is enough. I hope.

Q. Have you watched last year's final again?
RAFAEL NADAL: No.

Q. Will you watch it before Sunday if you get there?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. Why?

Q. This point you didn't make in last year's final, this break opportunity, chance to pass him, is it still here?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. I played very good tournaments after the final of last year in Wimbledon, no? I won more tournaments, very important tournaments, after that match. Here is nothing. But, you know, last year was a very long match.

Q. If you made the final, is your family ready to come to England to watch you?
RAFAEL NADAL: My father and my sister are here. Some friends are here. Probably in semifinals gonna come my uncles, yeah. I didn't spoke with my family yet, but I think in semifinals they gonna come.

Q. Based on today, what do you think Andy Murray has to do to make the next step up in his game?
RAFAEL NADAL: Not much. I think he very well. He gonna be in top positions. Well, he is in top positions already. But he gonna be in the top five. If he continues like this, you know, only the competition and only have more matches on the shoulders gonna give him the confidence for be in top five, I think. He don't gonna have a lot of problems for be top five.

Q. Spain have gone to No. 1 in the world football rankings. Do you think we could have a No. 1 in the world for tennis and football?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think Spain is No. 1 in the world in tennis right now. We don't need win Wimbledon for be the No. 1s. We have No. 2 in the world, No. 5, No. 4 right now. Lot of players in the last years. In the tennis, we are the No. 1s.

Q. I mean you.
RAFAEL NADAL: Don't tell Spain. I don't know. We gonna see after US Open.

Q. You looked amazing. What do you think you must improve in your game?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, if I play like today, especially the second set, not a lot of things, no? Only continuing like this. But the true, the normal level is not the second set. Is a little bit worse. Is disappointing. You can improve the serve. You can improve everything. The volley. Everything you can improve. If Federer can improve, I can improve a lot.

Q. You are a Real Madrid supporter. What do you think of Cristiano Ronaldo going to Real Madrid?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know what can I think. Every day we saw in the press if he's coming. Today he's coming, tomorrow he's not coming. After tomorrow he's coming. We will see in the end.

Q. Will it be good?
RAFAEL NADAL: For every Real Madrid supporter is going to be good if one star like Cristiano Ronaldo comes to Real Madrid.
But I think for Spain is good when a star like Cristiano Ronaldo is in the Spain league, no?

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2008-07-02/200807021215030586187.html

And Andy's :hug: http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2008-07-02/200807021215029161609.html

NaDALiTa
07-02-2008, 10:03 PM
" a good comportation" :spit: :spit: Rafa's spanglish is perfect!

TMJordan
07-02-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm so proud of our boy today, injury and all :sobbing:

l_mac
07-02-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm so proud of our boy today, injury and all :sobbing:

The Noletrolls are the proud ones :ras: We don't say that.

But yeah, fully fit the score might and been 0,0 and 1 :eek:

:ras:

NaDALiTa
07-02-2008, 11:49 PM
I want Rafa to play Clément and a humiliate this arrogant prick on centre court!!Vamooooos!

TMJordan
07-02-2008, 11:51 PM
The Noletrolls are the proud ones :ras: We don't say that.

But yeah, fully fit the score might and been 0,0 and 1 :eek:

:ras:
Well yeah, Murray suckz ballz :hug:
I want Rafa to play Clément and a humiliate this arrogant prick on centre court!!Vamooooos!
But I like Clement :awww:

NaDALiTa
07-03-2008, 12:06 AM
But I like Clement :awww:

He's the most unbearable player I've ever met,he doesn't give a damn**** about his fans.I was really gutted.
And seeing him kicking Rafa's ass in front of my eyes and making stupid provocations at the crowd after is too much for me!

Then I don't say that he plays bad,but as a person I can't stand him.

TMJordan
07-03-2008, 12:13 AM
He's the most unbearable player I've ever met,he doesn't give a damn**** about his fans.I was really gutted.
And seeing him kicking Rafa's ass in front of my eyes and making stupid provocations at the crowd after is too much for me!

Then I don't say that he plays bad,but as a person I can't stand him.

Yeah I do admit he is a jerk, especially to the ball kids but then again I am a fan of jerks, Soderling, Koellerer, maybe Stepanek ;)

You saw the match in Marseille!? :eek:

When he plays well he is really good it's usually for one small part of the season and the rest of the season he's not that good :scratch:

Don't worry Rafa will get the revenge for you :hug: (If he beats nice guy Schuettler! :p)

NaDALiTa
07-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Yeah I do admit he is a jerk, especially to the ball kids but then again I am a fan of jerks, Soderling, Koellerer, maybe Stepanek ;)

You saw the match in Marseille!? :eek:

When he plays well he is really good it's usually for one small part of the season and the rest of the season he's not that good :scratch:

Don't worry Rafa will get the revenge for you :hug: (If he beats nice guy Schuettler! :p)

Yeah I was in Marseille everybody was cheering for Rafa and Clément didn't appreciate it,so at the end he was like doing fist pumping to provoke us :lol: he got served :devil: and the day after I saw him spanking Ancic :sad: :lol: Bad week end :lol:

I hope Rafa will get his revenge ;) (ohh i love Schuettler sooo kiiind person :angel: )

TMJordan
07-03-2008, 02:01 AM
Yeah I was in Marseille everybody was cheering for Rafa and Clément didn't appreciate it,so at the end he was like doing fist pumping to provoke us :lol: he got served :devil: and the day after I saw him spanking Ancic :sad: :lol: Bad week end :lol:

I hope Rafa will get his revenge ;) (ohh i love Schuettler sooo kiiind person :angel: )

Bad weekend for you :sad: But I'm sure last plus this is much better :D

Tnn74
07-03-2008, 04:17 AM
Congrats Rafa on the win! :bounce:
he sure rained on Muzza's parade today, didn't he... :lol:
good luck in the next match Rafa baby! :hug:

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-03-2008, 04:37 AM
Go Rafa!!!!! I love him... he makes tennis worthwile again...

GuiroNl
07-03-2008, 05:12 PM
These old farts better finish this match :mad:

What would happen if they don't finish this match today? Rafa playing on Saturday or two matches on one day for the old guy?

GuiroNl
07-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Ok no need to think about that anymore :D

NaDALiTa
07-03-2008, 05:51 PM
I hope Rafa won't loose time on court tomorrow and please no rain!!!!!

Aenea
07-03-2008, 06:45 PM
SF tomorrow as if you wouldn't guess already :) but still

Centre Court 1.00 pm
1. Gentlemen's Singles
Roger Federer (SUI)[1] v. Marat Safin (RUS)
2. Gentlemen's Singles
Rainer Schuettler (GER) v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Good luck Rafa!! :bigclap: I too hope it doesn't rain.

NaDALiTa
07-03-2008, 10:15 PM
thanks I really need to find a good livestream :lol: my 2 favs in a slam i can't miss that!