Grass Season 2008 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Grass Season 2008

Brego
06-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Grass Season Tournaments:

Nottingham (Slazenger Open) (June 16 -22)
http://www.lta.org.uk/Watch/Individual-tournaments/The-Nottingham-Open/

Wimbledon (June 23 - July 6)
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/index.html

Gilles made it to the second round of both events last year. Let's hope he does better or as good this year.

Some pics that Truc posted last year:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=5595083&postcount=854

Allez Gilles.

The draw for Nottingham:

(1) STEPANEK, Radek CZE v ISNER, John USA
QUALIFIER/LL v (WC) SLABINSKY, Alexander GBR
BOLELLI, Simone ITA v BENNETEAU, Julien FRA
GUCCIONE, Chris AUS v (8) MONFILS, Gael FRA

(4) KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO v BJORKMAN, Jonas SWE
QUALIFIER/LL v QUERREY, Sam USA
SCHWANK, Eduardo ARG v LLODRA, Michael FRA
SELA, Dudi ISR v (7) SEPPI, Andreas ITA

(5) SIMON, Gilles FRA v YOUNG, Donald USA
(WC) BAKER, Jamie GBR v QUALIFIER/LL [QUALIFIER/LL replaces SODERLING, Robin SWE]
REYNOLDS, Bobby USA v MAHUT, Nicolas FRA
DANIEL, Marcos BRA v (3) VERDASCO, Fernando ESP

(6) TURSUNOV, Dmitry RUS v LU, Yen-Hsun TPE
QUALIFIER/LL v JOHANSSON, Thomas SWE
QUALIFIER/LL v (WC) WARD, James GBR
CILIC, Marin CRO v (2) MATHIEU, Paul-Henri FRA

Scotso
06-15-2008, 05:44 PM
allez Gilles :rocker2:

gambit84
06-15-2008, 07:18 PM
the first two rounds should be easy...c'mon Poussin :rocker2:
:smoke:

Grenouille
06-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Young won Wimbledon last year in the junior championship but never wins ATP matches so Gilles must win this one.

gambit84
06-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Young won Wimbledon last year in the junior championship but never wins ATP matches so Gilles must win this one.

I agree

jitterbug
06-16-2008, 01:54 AM
Good luck :dance:

Truc
06-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Young does win matches at ATP level now, otherwise he wouldn't have played against Nadal in the 3rd round of IW! He beat Lalo there, he definitely isn't a bye anymore.
But it's still a good draw for Gilles.

Truc
06-16-2008, 08:37 AM
My "dream team" in doubles today:
Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ (ESP)/Fernando VERDASCO (ESP) vs Gael MONFILS (FRA)/Gilles SIMON (FRA)

tedlesurfeur
06-16-2008, 02:08 PM
the first two rounds should be easy...c'mon Poussin :rocker2:
:smoke:

Yes, but then Mahut... I mean... Grassy Mahut :eek:
Mahut is like a top 30/20 on grass...

Truc
06-17-2008, 01:22 PM
I hadn't realized it was already over, I thought for a few seconds one of them had retired when I couldn't see his match on the scoreboard anymore!
6-1 6-4 in not even 50 minutes, nice win there.

Probably Groth next, I don't know him at all, is he one of these annoying Australian big servers?

gambit84
06-17-2008, 01:35 PM
expected! :rocker2:

Truc
06-17-2008, 01:43 PM
WTH, GM is full of threads about this Groth guy out of the blue. :lol: That's perfect, I have the answer to my question. 20 aces, "pure serve & volley every single point", potential Nottingham winner... Gilles will clearly be the underdog in the next round.

Brego
06-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Well done Gilles. :)

I'm surprised he got the win so quickly.

Allez for the second round.

Samuel Groth's win today over Jamie Baker was his first ever ATP win!
Hopefully Gilles' experience will give him the advantage when they meet.

Scotso
06-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Very nice win for Gilles. :yeah:

tedlesurfeur
06-17-2008, 06:18 PM
I hadn't realized it was already over, I thought for a few seconds one of them had retired when I couldn't see his match on the scoreboard anymore!
6-1 6-4 in not even 50 minutes, nice win there.

Probably Groth next, I don't know him at all, is he one of these annoying Australian big servers?

Is there a way to follow Nottingham at all ? :worship:

Truc
06-18-2008, 08:20 AM
I think there will be livestreams from tomorrow on.

In L'Equipe today:SIMON BIEN PLACÉ. – Vainqueur d’un trop tendre Donald Young (6-1, 6-4), Gilles Simon a remporté hier sa première victoire depuis son titre à Casablanca, le 24 mai dernier. Battu par Stepanek à Roland-Garros, il avait ensuite subi un deuxième échec au premier tour à Varsovie, contre Christophe Rochus. « J’aime le gazon parce que c’est marrant et que ça me permet surtout de travailler mon jeu vers l’avant, dit-il. Mais je suis bien incapable d’évaluer mon niveau de jeu sur cette surface. Tout ce que je sais, c’est que mes coups à plat font plus mal que sur terre. » Simon peut lorgner les quarts de finale : il affrontera en effet aujourd’hui un qualifié, l’Australien Samuel Groth, 308e joueur mondial.
He says he likes grass because it’s fun and it’s the occasion for him to work on his attacking game. But he really can't assess his level on that surface. He knows one thing, though, his flat shots are more effective on grass than on clay.

tedlesurfeur
06-18-2008, 11:56 AM
occasion for him to work on his attacking game + to the net game (that's what he means by vers l'avant, right?? I think so..)

Truc
06-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Aaaaargh, Groth is up 2 mini-breaks in the TB, Gilles had at least 3 setpoints at 5-4. :(

He broke in the 2nd set, *3-2, allez.

Rebreak. :-/ It is too annoying, I'll just check the result later.

Truc
06-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Oh Gott, I had forgotten about Gaël, he is also playing now, how am I supposed to work?

I thought this Groth guy was unbreakable? Gilles already had 9 BP and took 3 of them. 6-4 *1-0! :rocker2:

5-3*, another break would be nice, I don't like when he has to serve out a match...

Grrrr, 4 MP wasted on Groth's serve, *5-4. He better close it out now, I won't take a remake of the 1st set!

Truc
06-18-2008, 03:27 PM
:worship:
Easy hold at 5-4, I should trust more his serving abilities.
Thank you, Gillou, the Groth bandwagoning was getting a bit annoying.

Reynolds or Verdasco next - he has a tough draw, after all, pretty much the only quarter without some withdrawals and disqualifications!

tedlesurfeur
06-18-2008, 05:08 PM
a win 67 64 64, hoping this will give him confidence...

Truc
06-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Had he taken one of his SP in the 1st set, he would have won 6-4 6-4 and people would be fine.
I followed the last part again, he was holding easily and had all in all tons of occasions (14 BP is not bad against a big server) while Groth hardly had any. 67 64 64 looks worse than it was imo. He was always having the edge, except in the TB of the 1st set.

Verdasco next.

Brego
06-18-2008, 06:15 PM
:woohoo: Gilles.

Hope I can get a livestream tomorrow as well.

Gilles & Nando. This could be an intersting match.

Truc
06-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Their h2h is 1-1, but the last match wasn't pretty - it was that match at the USO last year, when Nando was leading something like 6-0 5-1 in no time and Gilles complained after the match that he hadn't played against a lefthander for one year and he only realized it after the match had already started, so he needed 2 sets to get used to it.
I hope he will find a lefthander to practice in Nottingham tomorrow morning and revenge for that loss...

(As for the livestream, you don't get the livestreams of the betting websites in Canada either? British Eurosport 2 will show it too, but I don't know any livestream for that.)

Truc
06-18-2008, 09:54 PM
"Fifth-seeded Frenchman Gilles Simon was equally as aggressive on serve, hitting 18 aces and winning 51 of 59 points on first serve, to defeat Australian qualifier Samuel Groth, who was playing his second career ATP match, 6-7(1), 6-4, 6-4 in two hours and one minute."
http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/nottingham_wednesday.asp
Hmmm, I think they mixed up the serving stats of SG and GS here. :o

The joke is that Eurosport (http://www.eurosport.fr/tennis/atp-nottingham/2008/monfils-poursuit-sa-route_sto1607958/story.shtml) now writes Gilles was absolutely on fire on his serve today, amazing, 18 aces, he couldn't believe it, etc. :lol:

Brego
06-19-2008, 01:48 AM
(As for the livestream, you don't get the livestreams of the betting websites in Canada either? British Eurosport 2 will show it too, but I don't know any livestream for that.)

Unlike the U.S. Canadians can bet online. I can access Betfair etc. but I don't like opening an account and placing money in said account.

I'm hoping channelsurfing.net will have something. They've being showing the Ordina Open this week so maybe they'll show some of Nottingham tomorrow..

Thanks for the L'Equipe translation. :)

Truc
06-19-2008, 08:08 AM
An article about Gilles and Gaël in L'Equipe today:Deux garçons dans le vent
Malgré des conditions météo exécrables, Gaël Monfils et Gilles Simon ont rallié le cap des quarts de finale.
NOTTINGHAM est un tournoi de préparation à Wimbledon. Dans tous les sens du terme. On n’y vient pas seulement résoudre les mystères du jeu sur herbe, on y apprend aussi l’infinie patience que requiert un mois de juin made in England. Ici, le vent, la pluie et le froid ne font pas partie du décor ; ils sont le décor dans toute sa largeur. Hier, déjà retardée de deux heures par une drizzle (bruine) omniprésente, la journée mit à rude épreuve les coups et les nerfs des joueurs. Pas question de jouer le tennis de sa vie. Il fallait gagner, point barre. Gilles Simon et Gaël Monfils s’y sont employés avec pugnacité : l’un et l’autre disputeront aujourd’hui les quarts de finale, respectivement face à Fernando Verdasco et à Vince Spadea. (…)
Simon exaspéré
Raisonnablement protégé par ses tribunes, le central de Nottingham reste un havre de paix comparé aux courts extérieurs. Programmé sur le no 2, Gilles Simon dut pour sa part composer avec des bourrasques incessantes et un adversaire monolithique. Avec son physique de Viking, l’Australien Samuel Groth (308e mondial) ne sait faire qu’une chose (servir, servir et servir), mais il le fait bien. Exaspéré par ce double contexte, Simon frisa par deux fois la crise de nerfs, après la perte du tie-break et de son break d’avance dans le deuxième set. Mais il se ressaisit à temps, en s’appuyant notamment sur un engagement impeccable. « Je n’ai pris aucun plaisir, résuma le Français. J’espère que le temps sera moins pourri demain (aujourd’hui) parce que, dans ces conditions, je ne peux absolument pas développer un jeu agressif. » Pour l’examen d’anglais, on lui conseillerait plutôt volontiers de réviser ses cours de patience.
VINCENT COGNETThe weather was terrible and Nottingham is, in that sense, a good preparation for Wimbledon. The point was not to show one's best tennis yesterday, but to be "pugnacious". They both were and got the job done.
The Center Court (where Gaël was playing) isn't too bad because it is protected from the wind with the stands, but Gilles was scheduled on Court 2 and had to cope with a wind blowing in gusts and a monolithic opponent. Goth looks like a Viking and is all serve. Gilles got quite exasperated and threw two big tantrums after the TB in the 1st set and when Groth got the rebreak in the 2nd set. But he recovered in time, also thanks to a very solid serving performance yesterday. "I took zero pleasure. I hope the weather won't be that bad tomorrow because no way I can develop an aggressive game under these conditions." And the journalist concludes saying he'll have to work a little bit more on his patience for Wimbledon.

gambit84
06-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Gillu live on bet365 later

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Truc
06-19-2008, 04:38 PM
I watched the first matches and it is horribly windy, so let's hope he will be more patient today!

(You don't need to have money on your account on bet365, btw, Brego. Only for Betfair and bwin.)

Nice game to get broken at 2-1, Gilles. :lol:

^^ Really poor first set, Verdasco isn't unbeatable today, wake up Gilles!

Brego
06-19-2008, 05:28 PM
(You don't need to have money on your account on bet365, btw, Brego. Only for Betfair and bwin.)

Hey thanks for that bit of info. I signed up and the video feed came up just as Gilles broke Fer for the 2nd time. :)

I thought Gilles was going to lose the second set the way he was serving at the end.

Truc
06-19-2008, 05:52 PM
I thought Gilles was going to lose the second set the way he was serving at the end.:lol: Yeah, that service game at *5-0 was a lowlight.
The two breaks in the first set were quite bad too, you didn't miss anything. He had 2 winners during the whole first set according to the stats.
The guys look good, but otherwise, the first 2 sets have been quite a pain to watch.

If they give UE stats for the whole match at the end, it should be impressive...

Brego
06-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Well at least Gilles seems to be moving better on grass compared to last year.

Hopefully he will go into Wimbledon with a postive attitude.

Thanks again for the information on Bet365. As live streams go it's fairly good.

Truc
06-19-2008, 06:32 PM
:( That was a wasted chance! And what an ugly error to give the break in the 3rd set.

Tell me their stats are wrong. I can believe Verdasco made 34 UE during that match, but only 4 winners for Gilles?!
It said 34 UE and 21 winners for Nando (seems realistic to me) / 19 UE and 4 winners for Gilles.

gambit84
06-19-2008, 07:18 PM
it's true Gillu wasted so many chances but expected the result: Nando in this period is playing better and is in a better form, that's all

btw Nando played smart in the third (coaching?) because he used the slice for forcing Gillu to go near the net where he can't play :rolleyes:

Brego
06-19-2008, 07:53 PM
it's true Gillu wasted so many chances but expected the result: Nando in this period is playing better and is in a better form, that's all
btw Nando played smart in the third (coaching?) because he used the slice for forcing Gillu to go near the net where he can't play :rolleyes:

Fer should have really won the match in two. He just had a dip in concentration in the second. Gilles was not at his best today especially if it's true he only had 4 winners!

Truc
06-20-2008, 07:42 AM
His reaction in L’Equipe:
Gilles SIMON (battu par Fernando Verdasco, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3) : « J’étais trop tendu au premier set à cause du vent. Mais j’ai eu l’impression d’être meilleur que lui au troisième (Verdasco fit le break sur sa seule occasion ; Simon rata trois balles de break sur trois). C’est horrible… J’ai l’impression de ne pas être verni. Dans le jeu où je me fais breaker, il y a une énorme erreur d’arbitrage qui fait que je me retrouve à 30 A au lieu de 40-15 ; et sur son break, il me sort un affreux retour boisé que je ne peux pas contrôler à cause du vent… Ça me gave. »

“I was too tense in the first set because of the wind. But I had a feeling I was better than him in the 3rd set (Verdasco took his only BP, Simon missed his 3 BP). It’s horrible… I feel unlucky. When I get broken, there is a terrible umpiring mistake which gives him 30A instead of 40-15 for me. And he hits on his BP an ugly return with the frame of his racket I can’t control because of the wind… It pisses me off.”

Truc
06-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Not sure he really was better in the 3rd because hitting so few winners won’t win you any match on grass, Gillou! I didn’t see this “trying to move his game forward” he was talking about after his other matches and that pissed me off more than a few lucky shots of Verdasco. He wasn't that unlucky, he should get over it. I found him so whiny already in Hamburg, and yesterday again, he needs to work on that. In Hamburg he often was pissed when a shot of his opponent just clipped the line!

But I understand his frustration because Verdasco was indeed so inconsistent yesterday. I don’t mind when Gilles loses to guys who play better than he does, like Murray or Steps, but that one was totally winnable.

tedlesurfeur
06-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Well at least Gilles seems to be moving better on grass compared to last year.

Hopefully he will go into Wimbledon with a postive attitude.

Thanks again for the information on Bet365. As live streams go it's fairly good.

There was a stream? Oh no :sad: someone must have answered my question about the stream earlier and I didn't see it :sad:

-----

Does someone know when exactly will the main draw for Wimbledon come out ? :worship:

Truc
06-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Tu m'as mise en "igno"? Je t'avais répondu aussitôt qu'il y aurait un livestream à la fin de la semaine et on l'avait redit plusieurs fois avec Brego et Raffaele.

-------
He plays Olejniczak in the 1st round of Wimbledon. I would have preferred some claycourter, I don't like qualifiers much, but if he was able to beat Cilic last year, he should beat this Olejniczak!

Truc
06-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Olejniczak won his last qualifying match 8-6 in the 5th set only, so it's not like he's unbeatable.

His part of the draw:
(8) Gasquet vs Fish
Grosjean vs Starace
Anderson vs Calleri
Olejniczak vs Simon

Brego
06-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Olejniczak won his last qualifying match 8-6 in the 5th set only, so it's not like he's unbeatable.

His part of the draw:
(8) Gasquet vs Fish
Grosjean vs Starace
Anderson vs Calleri
Olejniczak vs Simon

Well he just has 1st round points to defend from last year. He could possibly make it to the 3rd round and Gasquet? but his section of the draw does not look very promising.

tedlesurfeur
06-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Tu m'as mise en "igno"? Je t'avais répondu aussitôt qu'il y aurait un livestream à la fin de la semaine et on l'avait redit plusieurs fois avec Brego et Raffaele.

-------
He plays Olejniczak in the 1st round of Wimbledon. I would have preferred some claycourter, I don't like qualifiers much, but if he was able to beat Cilic last year, he should beat this Olejniczak!

Alors deja, je sais pas ce que c'est mettre en "igno", ya les trois quarts des fonctionnalités que j'ai pas pigées encore :lol: Et oui, vous aviez bien mis le lien, je ne sais pas pourquoi j'ai bugué.. je suis trés frustré là, et pas que pour Gilles.

-------

This qualifier will be exhausted !! Gilles will win in two sets. You can quote that anytime :o

Truc
06-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Je suis soulagée. :p
There is a "Buddy / Ignore list" feature in your User CP, but I don't find it of much use, you don't see anymore the posts of the posters who annoy you, but you still can see when they post.

That's a terrible draw "livestreamwise". They always schedule Gilles on Court 26 anyway, so Simon-Olejniczak... they would put that match on the qualies courts of Roehampton if they could.

I had not seen there is a thread about Olejniczak in GM. Different weight class than Poussin.
http://xs128.xs.to/xs128/08254/untitled806.png
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=126045

jitterbug
06-22-2008, 11:54 AM
They should have a feather-weight category in the ATP :awww: Gilles would beat the crap out of those U16's.

Ayane
06-22-2008, 02:44 PM

His part of the draw:
(8) Gasquet vs Fish
Grosjean vs Starace
Anderson vs Calleri
Olejniczak vs Simon

Hummmm Yeah ... I would love to see that match Gasquet vs Simon (mes chouchous) in the third round of Wimbly !!! I'm waiting for that since US Open 2006 ... Come on !!! He can do it ;) ... It'll be a terrible match :worship:

Truc
06-22-2008, 07:08 PM
I had to think of you when I saw the draw, Ayane! But it always turns into a beatdown when they play each other, so I for one am not really looking forward to that match.They should have a feather-weight category in the ATP :awww: Gilles would beat the crap out of those U16's.Davydenko would go on a fast diet to become number 1 in the feather-weight category, but Gilles would kick ass indeed. Just from the top of my mind, I can only think of Sela or Rochus with a similar weight...

tedlesurfeur
06-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Hummmm Yeah ... I would love to see that match Gasquet vs Simon (mes chouchous) in the third round of Wimbly !!! I'm waiting for that since US Open 2006 ... Come on !!! He can do it ;) ... It'll be a terrible match :worship:

Hey Ayane !!
Who would you support then ? :devil:

--> I didn't even realize you were the one playing IQT !!! :lol: At this rate, all of Gillou's fans are going to play IQT :lol: Including Fran :lol:

Ayane
06-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Hey Ayane !!
Who would you support then ? :devil:

--> I didn't even realize you were the one playing IQT !!! :lol: At this rate, all of Gillou's fans are going to play IQT :lol: Including Fran :lol:

Oui oui, c'est bien moi qui joue à IQT (nivo quiz pr le tennis feminin, je suis une nullité lol)

OOoohh hummm ... Who would I support then? You know that's a terrible question to answer ... They are my 2 favorites players ... I don't know ... whatever the results and who's gonna win, I'll be happy anyway ... but for the rest of his tournament, I think that Richard has more chances to go far in Wimbly that Gillou (he's semifinalist last year) so ...

Ayane
06-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Gilles will play tomorrow against Dawid Olejniczak at court 7 (that court is televised?)

1 Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Nicolas Kiefer (GER)[27] v. Julien Benneteau (FRA)

2 Ladies' Singles - 1st Rnd.
Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA) v. Petra Cetkovska (CZE)

3 Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Dawid Olejniczak (POL) v. Gilles Simon (FRA)[28]

4 Ladies' Singles - 1st Rnd.
Olga Govortsova (BLR) v. Nadia Petrova

Truc
06-23-2008, 07:03 PM
I don't think it's a TV court, it's not available with "Wimbledon Live".

As expected, Gilles is on the French team for Beijing - but wasn't picked to play doubles (not that Gaël is a better doubles player than Gillou...)
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2008/20080623_183446_pierce-aux-jo-pas-mauresmo_Dev.html
Simple hommes :
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Paul-Henri Mathieu
Gilles Simon
Gaël Monfils

Double hommes :
Michaël Llodra - Arnaud Clément
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga - Gaël Monfils

There might be some changes anyway since it will be very, very close for Jo.

Brego
06-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Why isn't Richard Gasquet playing. I guess he chose not to play?

Allez Gilles for tomorrow.

Truc
06-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Yes, Richard prefers to focus on the US Open, he already announced it just after the French Open final.
Bartoli also chose not to play and isn't on the list.
The list isn't a scoop, but I guess it means the players on the list really plan to play, otherwise they would have said it like Gasquet & Bartoli.

tedlesurfeur
06-24-2008, 08:17 AM
I don't think it's a TV court, it's not available with "Wimbledon Live".

As expected, Gilles is on the French team for Beijing - but wasn't picked to play doubles (not that Gaël is a better doubles player than Gillou...)
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2008/20080623_183446_pierce-aux-jo-pas-mauresmo_Dev.html
Simple hommes :
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Paul-Henri Mathieu
Gilles Simon
Gaël Monfils

Double hommes :
Michaël Llodra - Arnaud Clément
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga - Gaël Monfils

There might be some changes anyway since it will be very, very close for Jo.

Just for the somewhat interesting information : Mary Pierce will play for the French team :p thanks to her protected ranking (she then prevents Mauresmo from playing :lol: )

--> C'mon guys, we all know Tsonga may NOT be in Beijing.. I feel the withdrawal coming up, I don't know why :lol: Llodra will play !!

Truc
06-24-2008, 05:37 PM
I thought Olejniczak was supposed to have a big serve? 5 aces, even Poussin outaced him.
That was too easy for Gilles! :rocker2:

Truc
06-24-2008, 07:05 PM
There is an audio interview on the FFT website:
http://www.fft.fr/wimbledon/2008/?id=3816
He says he played a good match, he's happy about his performance today. He wasn't broken once, which doesn't happen so often (he laughes when he says that).
He didn't know at all what to expect today. Olejniczak is... massive (and he laughes again). He was serving very hard. The break in the 1st set was a bit lucky, but from the middle of the 2nd set on, he was able to read his serve and he got his measure.
He feels well on every surface anyway, he needs to get his bearings on grass, so it was important to have an easy first round, but he's able to play well on that surface too.
Next round: another "massive" guy with Calleri. He jokes about the fact that he's playing hulking guys lately since Groth (the Australian he played last week in Nottingham) was quite a hefty fellow too.
Calleri is better on quick surfaces than on clay in his opinion because he's very powerful and doesn't move so well. It's a winnable match for him if he manages to read his serve like he did today.

Brego
06-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the translation Fran and the 'grass' pic as well. :)

Let's hope his match against Calleri will be on a televised court on Thursday.

Truc
06-25-2008, 08:05 AM
In L'Equipe, but it's pretty much the same as the audio interview:
FACE À UN ADVERSAIRE au crâne rasé et aux allures de catcheur (1,91 m pour 95 kg), le fluet Gilles Simon (1,80 m ; 65 kg) a parfaitement fait le poids, s’imposant en 1 h 34’, n’ayant à sauver que deux balles de break et maîtrisant assez vite les aspects rugueux de l’offensif tennis adverse : « Il fallait être vigilant et je suis content car je n’ai presque jamais été en danger. À partir du deuxième set, j’ai vraiment pris la mesure de son service et l’ai mieux lu. Je dois continuer à essayer d’appliquer au gazon ce qui marche pour moi en indoor : ne jamais arrondir mes trajectoires, être tout le temps offensif et m’appuyer sur mon revers. Quand le jeu s’installe et qu’il ne s’agit pas que d’une bataille de service, je prends du plaisir sur cette surface. » L’objectif ? « Comme d’hab’, aller le plus loin possible. » Prochain adversaire : Agustin Calleri.

I don’t know how to translate the ‘faire le poids’ joke about their respective weights, Ted?
The journalist says Olejniczak looks like a wrestler.
Gilles means he's happy because he almost never was in danger (only had to save 2 BP). He must try to do on grass what works for him indoors: make sure he doesn’t play too ‘rounded’ shots (not sure how to say that either), take the offensive and use his backhand. When it doesn’t turn into just a serve contest, he enjoys playing on grass. The goal? As usual, to go as far as possible.

Truc
06-25-2008, 10:03 PM
He plays on a court with livestream! :cool:

Court 11
1 Ladies' Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Maria Jose Martinez sanchez (ESP) v. Sania Mirza (IND)[32]
2 Gentlemen's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Tommy Robredo (ESP)[23] v. Tommy Haas (GER)
3 Ladies' Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Elena Dementieva (RUS)[5] v. Timea Bacsinszky (SUI)
4 Gentlemen's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Agustin Calleri (ARG) v. Gilles Simon (FRA)[28]

Truc
06-26-2008, 07:08 PM
And I almost added yesterday I hoped the others would hurry up because I didn't want Gilles to be rescheduled on another court (I had a bad feeling about Dementieva and her usual 3 sets matches)!
He's playing on Court 19, no livestream. :fiery:

jitterbug
06-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Allez Poussin :D

Truc
06-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Not very :D so far! It looked like he was holding quite easily during the whole first set - until 5-5.

Truc
06-26-2008, 08:00 PM
That's much better, Poussin, 5-2!

And another break, 6-2. :rocker2:

Truc
06-26-2008, 08:16 PM
3-1.

4-1, Gillou is holding his service games quicker than I post!
Maybe Calleri has a bad night vision?

6-3, I don't recognize him, he never faces BP! But I'm wondering if Calleri is fine, it goes so fast.

Truc
06-26-2008, 08:56 PM
5-4, serving for the match -> :scared: (he's been very solid on his serve so far, but still...)

:yippee:
Bring on Gasquet - it better be on a TV court this time!!

tedlesurfeur
06-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Gillou :worship:

I was away at my training !! I didn't see any of the match !!!
I come back home, and guess what I see .. :worship:

Gillou into the 3rd round, way to go !!!

Gasquet now :eek: so solid on Grass, plus he likes to play fellow countrymen.. :sad:

But Gillou will put up a fight :devil:

Truc
06-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Yes, I'm glad for Ayane she gets her match, but I think Ritchie is a very bad match-up for him, not just gamewise, he seems to have a little "mental block" when he plays against him.
But he's improved against Frenchies lately, so let's hope he will really put up a fight like he says he will.
In L'Equipe today:
Simon à l’heure Gasquet
Après avoir dominé Calleri, le Niçois va se tester face au numéro 1 français.
POUR LA TROISIÈME FOIS de sa carrière, Gilles Simon va atteindre le troisième tour d’un tournoi du Grand Chelem. Il n’a jamais fait mieux dans ces grandes occasions, mais cette aptitude à forcer son chemin sur gazon lui convenait parfaitement hier. Après un démarrage difficile (vent, froid) face à un Calleri très agressif du fond de court, le Niçois avait été soumis à 5-5 à une rafale de retours gagnants lui occasionnant la perte de son service, puis du set. Mais il avait su se relever de ce petit K.-O. « Ensuite, je n’ai plus jamais dû faire face à des balles de break, relevait-il. Et, quand, dès l’entame du second set, j’ai réussi à lui ravir son engagement, le match a été différent. Après, ça a été plus tranquille. » Si l’approche de la nuit, et l’éventualité d’un report au lendemain le crispèrent un peu au crépuscule du quatrième set, Simon arriva là aussi à composer avec la difficulté en serrant le jeu. « Sur la fin, je recule un peu et j’ai du mal à conclure, mais c’est dans ces occasions que je constate combien je dois encore m’améliorer sur gazon. Car, quand on attend trop, ça devient difficile… Pour moi, l’herbe est une bonne surface d’entraînement. C’est parfait pour faire évoluer mon jeu. En tout cas, ce n’est pas là où j’ai des attentes particulières. »
Sans réelle pression, sinon celle d’atteindre enfin le cap des huitièmes de finale, il retrouve au tour suivant un Gasquet qui l’avait puni les deux fois où les deux joueurs s’étaient rencontrés, en 2006 (Nottingham, US Open), avec seulement neuf petits jeux glanés. « Cette fois-ci, j’aimerais vraiment engager le combat. Les dernières fois, Richard avait joué en roue libre et j’étais trop stressé après un mauvais départ. Évidemment, ce ne sera pas simple. Je trouve que son jeu de fond de court n’est pas spécialement adapté à l’herbe, mais avec deux armes comme son service et son retour, il est très dangereux. Et puis, l’air de rien, il commence à se relâcher après une mauvaise passe. Il reprend plaisir à jouer. À moi de le troubler d’entrée… » – F. Ra.It's the 3rd time in his career he reaches the 3rd round of a Slam. He has never made it further.
Difficult start yesterday, it was windy and cold, Calleri was very offensive from the baseline, at 5-5 Calleri started firing return winners and broke, but he managed to recover from this little "knockout". "I've never faced a BP anymore afterwards, he says. I broke him right at the beginning of the 2nd set and it was a different match from then on. It was easier."
He got a bit tight at the beginning of the 4th set again because it was getting very dark and he was afraid they might have to finish the match on Friday, but he got over it too. "I stepped back a little bit at the end and had problems to close it out. It shows I still have to improve a lot on grass. When I'm being too 'wait-and-see', it gets difficult... Grass is a good practice surface for me. It's perfect to make my game evolve. However, I don't have any special expectations for the grass season."
He will now play without any real pressure against Gasquet who has always given him a beatdown in their 2 previous matches in 2006 (Nottingham and USO, he won only 9 games in total). "I'd like to really put up a fight this time. Richard was 'freewheeling' in our 2 other matches (= he had it very easy), I got too nervous after a bad start. Of course, it won't be easy. His baseline game isn't particularly suited to grass imo, but he's very dangerous with his serve and his return. And he's eventually getting more relaxed after going through a bad patch. He enjoys playing again. Up to me to to confuse him right from the beginning..."

Truc
06-27-2008, 08:22 AM
And a few other things in his audio interview from the FFT website:

It's his 3rd participation in Wimbledon. First time: 1st round, 2nd time: 2nd round, but he hopes he will do better than 3rd round this time.
It was not easy to settle down his game because it was very windy and there were no rallies.
He had a very good feeling during the first round (the conditions were also easier, less windy). But he means he played well too against Calleri. He was returning his first serve very well. He didn't play his best tennis yesterday, but it was OK. His bad start is the only reservation.
He doesn't like to start thinking about the next round right after a win, otherwise he'd be already exhausted at the start of the next match. He'll start thinking about the Gasquet match tomorrow. For now, he just knows he'll have to take a better start.
When he's asked about Ritchie, he answers he hasn't seen him play for 4 months. He doesn't watch a lot of tennis, he already knows most of the players by now. And it's not always a good thing to study the game of your next opponent too much (for example if you mean to have noticed he's missing a lot on his BH side and he starts the match hitting tons of BH winners, it's irritating).
Gasquet was really much stronger than him in 2006. There were hardly any rallies on Ritchie's service games in their previous matches as he was hitting tons of aces, so Gilles doesn't have many points of reference.

Truc
06-27-2008, 06:57 PM
2nd match on Court 1 tomorrow.

Brego
06-27-2008, 11:42 PM
2nd match on Court 1 tomorrow.

It's not great that he is playing Gasquet except that we will be able to see the match. :)

Allez Poussin.

gambit84
06-28-2008, 12:07 AM
for tomorrow...please Gillou, fly on court and play your best tennis

allez Poussin

Puschkin
06-28-2008, 08:23 AM
quoting Simon: His [Gasquet] baseline game isn't particularly suited to grass imo,
:eek:

When he's asked about Ritchie, he answers he hasn't seen him play for 4 months.
I think, there will be some surprises for Gilles today. :p But it is a funny strategy to approach the match.

Truc
06-28-2008, 10:07 AM
He often seems to rely on his ability to analyze the game during the match - sometimes too much. After a poor match he says things like: "I needed 2 whole sets to realize his BH was crap, I would have seen that after 2 games on a normal day!"
But I'm sure he will think about a strategy in advance this time. All the more since he really can't afford another slow start. He gave that interview just after the Calleri match.

Truc
06-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Not sure why you're talking about "some surprises for Gilles"?
The only surprising element here can come from Gilles himself as he's the overlooked one with a puzzling game - but it's very, very, very unlikely he can do it today since it's the worst possible situation and timing for him (surface, current form, etc.)
I still would fancy his chances if they played on clay. :p

Truc
06-28-2008, 11:05 AM
It's not great that he is playing Gasquet except that we will be able to see the match. :)Do you have a Wimbledon Live subscription too? There is a link to his match in the "Schedule of play" - "Day 4", but it opens Haas-Robredo here. I asked the Customer Service yesterday already, they told me there is no error and I'm the only one to have told them that. :shrug:
I don't get how there can be a stream of his match on Court 19, but their answer is strange, is it working for you?

Puschkin
06-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Do you have a Wimbledon Live subscription too? There is a link to his match in the "Schedule of play" - "Day 4", but it opens Haas-Robredo here.
Also for me it opens as Haas-Robredo. I checked if they got it wrong on the real Haas-Robredo link, but there is Haas-Robredo, too.

Truc
06-28-2008, 01:15 PM
OK, thanks.
I even asked with the Live Help yesterday and the guy didn't take me seriously at all. He said I was the only one to ask that and it must be my browser. I'm just the only one who wants to see that match, that's why I'm the only one to mention it! :lol:

Gosh, I've been trying for ONE HOUR to find a pr.o.xy to make Wimbledon Live work (the livestreams are not available in Germany, I need to use a pr.o.xy), and it doesn't work anymore. It's a conspiracy, it was working perfectly the other day when they rescheduled his match on another court. :sobbing: German TV isn't going to show Gasquet-Simon. :-/

Puschkin
06-28-2008, 01:22 PM
German TV isn't going to show Gasquet-Simon. :-/
Is German TV showing any tennis at all? I think having read somewhere that DSF does not show Wimby anymore. Well, with the stream available to me, I don't have to bother with this anymore. Lucky me.

Venus seems fast. I think I get myself a cup of coffee and install myself confortably.
If you wish, I can post some comments here.

Truc
06-28-2008, 01:32 PM
It's on Premiere here, I have it, but only for the month of June, I need to find a solution for next week anyway. And Premiere is showing Schüttler, of course.
If you wish, I can post some comments here.Thanks, that's nice from you, but I'm afraid it will be too painful to have the comments of a Gasquetaire. ;)
Wake up, Martinez-Sanchez, I haven't given up the hope to find a livestream or a working pr.o.xy. VAMOS!!!

Puschkin
06-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks, that's nice from you, but I'm afraid it will be too painful to have the comments of a Gasquetaire. ;)

ok then, die in ignorance. :ras:

:secret: I am a little insulted, my comments would have been fair and to the facts. I know on whose thread I am.

Truc
06-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Nooo, don't feel insulted, really, I know you would take care if you posted here! But you should enjoy it wholeheartedly without having to comfort fans of Gilles Simon because your boy is thrashing him.

Ome
06-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Nooo, don't feel insulted, really, I know you would take care if you posted here! But you should enjoy it wholeheartedly without having to comfort fans of Gilles Simon because your boy is thrashing him.

There won't be any trashing today :p

(Except for Martinez Sanchez :o)

Puschkin
06-28-2008, 01:53 PM

I am always pleased if someone consoles me when my boy gets thrashed. And there was a lot of it this year.

Besides, we still have to see how things develop.

Puschkin
06-28-2008, 01:54 PM
There won't be any trashing today :p

:topic: Cilic won't get thrashed? ;)

Ome
06-28-2008, 02:02 PM
:topic: Cilic won't get thrashed? ;)

Afraid not :scared:

I'm hoping Jankovic's match will end soon so I might get Richard-Gilles!!!

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 02:37 PM
After a poor match he says things like: "I needed 2 whole sets to realize his BH was crap, I would have seen that after 2 games on a normal day!"

Oh Poussin :lol: :lol:

Fran, I'll try to do live commentary okay? :hug: why are they taking so long to go on court?

Renaud
06-28-2008, 02:45 PM
http://www.justin.tv/widgets/jtv_live.r7790.swf?channel=rogerfederer1

If anyone is interested.

Truc
06-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks, I just found it too. I can't see the ball so well, but never mind.

But you're a Gasquetaire too, Zahirah, aren't you?

Broken. :sobbing: I'm not sure I want to watch that anyway.

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Poussin hit that forehand long to bring up 2 BP's :(

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 03:09 PM
What a time to hit 2 consecutive winners :lol:

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 03:14 PM
I kept ooh-ing and aah-ing over his winners in the game where he broke Gasquet :drool:

... and of course, after such a thrilling game, he had to get broken to give Gasquet the set :lol: :silly:

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 03:15 PM
But you're a Gasquetaire too, Zahirah, aren't you?

But I'm a neutral one :devil:

Truc
06-28-2008, 03:32 PM
They're so bad that even I'm rather watching Jankovic on my TV most of the time (and I really don't like the WTA).

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 03:36 PM
True that :tape: I'm switching to Muzza-Haas, hopefully Gilles and Richard would buck up :armed:

But the good news is that Poussin's lovely fluffy hair is back!

Truc
06-28-2008, 03:37 PM
OMG, they're showing the match on Premiere now, are they crazy? Not sure it's the best match atm!

When did Gilles hold his serve for the last time?

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 03:39 PM
When did Gilles hold his serve for the last time?

First game of the second set :help:

Truc
06-28-2008, 03:40 PM
He already held in the 2nd set? I missed that, I must have been watching the girls.
He still looks so nervous, it's painful to see. He's not THAT bad a server usually.

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 03:43 PM
He still looks so nervous, it's painful to see. He's not THAT bad a server usually.

Talk about nerves, he just double-faulted to give break point :help: and now Gasquet serves for the second set.

Truc
06-28-2008, 03:51 PM
The German commentator is killing me, he's going on and on about how clever Ritchie is and that he is so much more clever than Gilles Simon. :rolleyes: It feels like reading on GM. What an idiot. What has this to do with being clever?

They're switching to Haas-Murray, thanks God, I couldn't hear his crap anymore.

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 03:56 PM
The German commentator is killing me, he's going on and on about how clever Ritchie is and that he is so much more clever than Gilles Simon. :rolleyes: It feels like reading on GM. What an idiot. What has this to do with being clever?

Same as the Wimbledon Live commentators :shrug: they were talking about Gilles like he's a completely incompetent player who hasn't got a chance in hell to trouble Gasquet.

Though to be honest, it's not like Gilles is dazzlingly proving them wrong anyway :silly:

Truc
06-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Well, Gilles is beyond woeful, I wouldn't care if he was just saying that Gasquet is much better, but clever?? I don't get it, like I don't get at all this "Simple Simon" talk.

That's exactly what I was afraid of, he really has some mental block, it's not normal to still be such a nervewrack after 2 sets.

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 04:12 PM
At least he's holding serve :help: I should continue not watching.

Truc
06-28-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't know how he holds, but he does. Ritchie is seriously crap!

Gilles' hair is the highlight of the match.

Truc
06-28-2008, 04:14 PM
And that volley was the lowlight of the TOURNAMENT, Gilles.
:o :o :o

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Gilles' hair is the highlight of the match.

Sadly, I agree :o

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 04:34 PM
He just got the tiebreak. I'm astounded.

Truc
06-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Great, we'll enjoy one more set of beautiful tennis! :lol:

It's deserved. :p Ritchie is so bad that he didn't deserve to win that set. I know Gilles doesn't deserve it either since he was even worse, but never mind.

Brego
06-28-2008, 04:37 PM
http://www.justin.tv/widgets/jtv_live.r7790.swf?channel=rogerfederer1

If anyone is interested.

Thanks for that! :D Gilles takes the 3rd set.

Truc
06-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Yes, the first set Gilles Simon ever wins against Richard Gasquet, let's celebrate. :aparty:

Are you starting to watch now, brego? Please don't move away from your computer, you seem to be Gilles' lucky charm.
You didn't miss much. :devil:

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm his jinx, apparently :devil: I'll stick with Muzza - he seems immune to me so far.

Truc
06-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Muzza is on my TV too and a tad better than our two Frenchies!

Grrrr, I closed the stream by mistake and now it isn't working anymore. It was working well. Poor quality, but it was working smoothly.

Gilles already hit 4 aces?! I missed all of them.

My stream is back. :drool:

Puschkin
06-28-2008, 04:58 PM
OMG, Richou and Gilles, you can't do this to Truc and me.:o

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 04:59 PM
I like both of them and even I'm scared away :lol:

Truc
06-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Sadly, I think this beautiful match won't last long anymore after Ritchie's amazing rebreak.

It's unbelievable to be as bad at the net as Gilles. And that's his usual level. He's clearly underperforming on serve, but not at the net, he really can't volley at all, even in training.

Brego
06-28-2008, 05:07 PM
I had to leave my computer. :sad:

Gilles is starting to look tired.

Truc
06-28-2008, 05:11 PM
I knew it. :sobbing:
Never a good idea to come to the net on BP, Gilles.

jitterbug
06-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Bye Gilles :kiss:

Brego
06-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Poor Gilles.

Well I'm glad for Gasquet. He needed the win more then Gilles.
At least Gilles took a set off of him.

Truc
06-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Well, it's not a major disappointment since he can't go far on grass without a decent netgame anyway, I know that. I was expecting him to lose.

But I can't be happy about that one set won since it was a non-match from him during 2 sets. And there was room for more with Richie playing so poorly.
I'm really glad he kept fighting in the 3rd set, though. It's not a given with him when he's putting on a bad performance, we've seen him completely go down with an embarrassing scoreline in that situation.

Truc
06-28-2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2008/20080628_201007_les-reactions_Dev.html
"I was nervous at the beginning, tense. The match became more even when I broke back at 5-1 in the 1st set. It was a match with many chances and way too many regrets... I lost the 2nd set 6-3 after having broken twice... it's not acceptable. A couple of silly mistakes cost me the match in the end. There are some encouraging things, but what remain are the regrets because I have the feeling I could have done much better. The problem with Richard isn't that he returns very, very well, it's that he returns all the time. There are no free points with him."

Ritchie's statements are funny, full of praise after such a match. :lol: He means Gilles makes the opponent play poorly, which is true in general, but I don't think it was the only point today!

Truc
06-28-2008, 07:59 PM
And in his audio interview, he says he was nervous, but not because of Richard. He has played 4 Frenchies in a row in Casa and he's starting to get used to it. It was more the importance of the event, a new court, he was trying to find his bearings.
He doesn't think he got tight in the games when Richard broke back, it was more a question of concentration lapses and silly mistakes in his opinion.

Puschkin
06-28-2008, 08:35 PM
He doesn't think he got tight in the games when Richard broke back, it was more a question of concentration lapses and silly mistakes in his opinion.
Aren't concentration lapses and silly mistakes a consequence of getting tight? ;)

Truc
06-29-2008, 10:00 AM
I know, but that's not how he feels, apparently. Everything is relative too, he can really be a total headcase at times. I see improvements in that regard since I started following him (not so long ago), so I can understand why he says that.

I posted the article of L’Equipe about their match in Ritchie’s forum since it’s mainly about him:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=7260708&postcount=334
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=7260772&postcount=336 ("translation")

Truc
06-29-2008, 10:03 AM
And I can not help posting the little bit about Gilles in the summary of the day in Wimbledon:
Gasquet eut aussi la chance d’être secondé dans son entreprise par un Gilles Simon qui a le don de gâcher son (grand) talent en cherchant à gagner le point par des coups qu’il ne sait pas faire comme ces volées amorties qu’il ne réussit pas plus d’une fois sur quatre.
Gasquet also had the chance to be helped by a Gilles Simon who has a genius for wasting his (big) talent by trying to win the point with shots he isn't able to play, like these dropshot volleys he misses 3 times out of 4.

Grenouille
06-29-2008, 09:26 PM
The grass season wasn't too bad finally !

gambit84
06-29-2008, 10:04 PM
you're right but atm he isn't improving his game, on every surface. I'm a bit disappointed honestly

tedlesurfeur
06-30-2008, 01:38 AM
Gillou is now No.24 at the Race.. :rocker: