Is anyone else shocked about the Wildcards at Wimbledon? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is anyone else shocked about the Wildcards at Wimbledon?

FaceyFacem
06-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Has an event ever given up wildcards in favor of the "next in"?
http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/story/10864595

krystlel
06-14-2008, 09:20 AM
That's really interesting. It can't have happened too often.

It's really nice that they've decided not to award many British wildcards (only TWO) this year. I think someone has mentioned that the players have to be in the top 250 to be eligible.

Allez
06-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Happy they did not waste a wildcard on Jamie Murray. I'm actually happy with all this year's selection.:worship::worship::worship:

Chloe le Bopper
06-14-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm shocked to see Wimbledon making decisions that I actually agree with.

Action Jackson
06-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Commonsense decisions, this is more of a shock.

Good choices btw.

Andi-M
06-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Completely agree with everything they've done. :D

If these other Brit mugs wanna go Wimbledon they should have to go to Roehampton 1st.

Ariadne
06-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Great wildcards this time around! I have been waiting a long time for Dancevic's breakout tournament. Hope he does it this time around at Wimbly; Frank does have a decent game for grass.

groundstroke
06-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Great decision.

Jimnik
06-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Totally agree.

Andre♥
06-14-2008, 11:10 AM
It's a good decision, however they could have given a WC to Mirnyi.

Scotso
06-14-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm glad they gave them one to Frank and also happy Jeremy got the French WC. It's nice to see Sam get one as well.

I do think it would be nice for the crowd to have more British WCs, though, even if they're going to lose. You never know.

gaynor
06-14-2008, 11:26 AM
How can anyone say that Ascione and MVA (next in if one more guy withdraws) have a better chance of winning a match than Bloomfield , Goodall or Marray??

Awful decisions :retard:

scoobs
06-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Good decisions - I am fully behind this policy of only offering wildcards to Brits in the top 250 and only giving wildcards into qualifying for those below that.

Time we got a bit cushy bye bye here and made them really earn their place.

I'd rather anyone but Spadea though - why does that sad old wanker deserve direct entry? Make the asshole qualify and maybe he'll get thumped by someone in R1.

GlennMirnyi
06-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Giving WCs to two grass jokes in Ascione and Spadea is a joke doesn't matter from which angle you see this. Pathetic.

Well, Wimbledon has already forfeited any kind of pretense to keep it a serious tournament when they changed the grass. No surprise here.

Horatio Caine
06-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Yep, glad that the officials stood by the top 250 rule and didn't cave in, as they might have had the tendency to do.

Pretty clear that all 6 non-British wildcards have a solid chance of winning a match in the main draw(assuming they don't draw someone like Djokovic, Murray etc), which wouldn't have been the case with our Brits. My only slight disappointment is a couple of the choices...I mean, Spadea (and Ascione)? Not like he is in good form...might have been able to find someone younger, and on the rise. :shrug:

scoobs
06-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Yep, glad that the officials stood by the top 250 rule and didn't cave in, as they might have had the tendency to do.

Pretty clear that all 6 non-British wildcards have a solid chance of winning a match in the main draw(assuming they don't draw someone like Djokovic, Murray etc), which wouldn't have been the case with our Brits. My only slight disappointment is a couple of the choices...I mean, Spadea (and Ascione)? Not like he is in good form...might have been able to find someone younger, and on the rise. :shrug:
True - it almost looks like they just looked at the next batch of players after the cutoff and just stuck a pin in some names.

Jeremy Chardy is a good call though.

GlennMirnyi
06-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Dancevic is the best call of all those WCs. He's the best grass player not to enter the tournament directly.

Horatio Caine
06-14-2008, 04:15 PM
True - it almost looks like they just looked at the next batch of players after the cutoff and just stuck a pin in some names.

Jeremy Chardy is a good call though.

Yeah I think they made a good call on half of them (which is better than usual :o). Chardy has a good game for grass, and is certainly entertaining to watch. Dancevic also suited to the surface. Kunitsyn is in his best form at the moment, and is a troublesome player. Baker deserves his place, but it is a pity that he won't be match fit.

Don't necessarily agree with following...Spadea, see above. Ascione...why? Malisse...no question he is dangerous, but he is hopeless at the moment. :shrug: Boggo...well, he made the top 250 cut-off in time, so deserves his place in that sense, but... :rolleyes:

Smoke944
06-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Spadea doesn't need to be in good form to deserve a WC, he just needs to please the ladies of the AELTC, which he'll do. :cool:

Forever-Delayed
06-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Bogdanovic has just beaten fellow WC Igor Kunitsyn 6-4, 6-3 in Nottingham qualifying.

ce2
06-14-2008, 04:53 PM
just give last wc to Dokic and i will be happy

BigJohn
06-14-2008, 05:21 PM
What do people see in Dancevic?

Merton
06-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Good decision to avoid embarrasment by giving WCs to lower ranked British players that would just provide a bye to their opponents and an excellent WC for Dancevic. Once they decided not to grant the last 2 WCs, I don't see how they could avoid giving direct entry to the next 2 players on the entry list.

Lee
06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
I still think there's better candidate for WCs than Spadea :tape: e.g. Qureshi

GlennMirnyi
06-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Dancevic has a beautiful game and is a great player. :)

TankingTheSet
06-14-2008, 05:54 PM

They actually did that, they gave the last two wildcard provisionally to the next two players on entry list according to ITF rules because they didn't have any other candidates. At least that is what I read. So Spadea and Ascione are not choices by the organization, but just follow from the rulebook.

Merton
06-14-2008, 05:54 PM
I still think there's better candidate for WCs than Spadea :tape: e.g. Qureshi

Spadea is not a WC, just happened to be the next guy in line on the entry list. It could be worse than Spadea (Carlos Berlocq for example) but it doesn't matter once they decided not to give any more WCs.

RogerFan82
06-14-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't think WC's should be given to players over 28-29 yrs old. They should earn their place thru' qualifying. Give it to some promising/upcoming youngsters instead. Dancevic is a good choice.

Lee
06-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Spadea is not a WC, just happened to be the next guy in line on the entry list. It could be worse than Spadea (Carlos Berlocq for example) but it doesn't matter once they decided not to give any more WCs.

But the organiser can give a WC to Qureshi before they determine not to give out anymore WCs, right?

Merton
06-14-2008, 06:00 PM
But the organiser can give a WC to Qureshi before they determine not to give out anymore WCs, right?

True, but why give a WC to Qureshi and not to, say, Younes? I mean I would prefer both than to see Spadea and Ascione with direct entry but what they did was legit and certainly better than giving WCs to hopeless British players.

Fee
06-14-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm wondering why they didn't just wait a few more days to see who withdrew and who got in off the alternate list (Spadea and Ascione), then announce that they were not giving the wildcards and award them to the next two guys on Sunday night. Perhaps they did it in time to allow some guys to go to Notts for qualies, but either way Spadea and Ascione were probably going to get into the draw.

I just hope that anyone who is not playing has the decency to pull out on Sunday before qualies start and make it a little bit easier for the next guys in.

fast_clay
06-14-2008, 06:26 PM
good decision...

tough, fair... not soft... and is the opposite of what has happened in the past...

Feel a bit for Bloomfield... but, if you are gonna set a precedent at least be hardcore about it...

is this a new ruthless britain i see...?

if so i like it...

Black Adam
06-14-2008, 08:41 PM
He beat Nadal last year at moments looking like Federer hence the love from some quarters of MTF;)

jazar
06-14-2008, 08:47 PM
He beat Nadal last year at moments looking like Federer hence the love from some quarters of MTF;)

he didnt beat nadal; he lost in 3

BigJohn
06-14-2008, 08:51 PM

You mean Roddick when Dancevic peaked last year in Indianapolis, then losing the final to Tursunov.

That will never happen again. Making a final on the big tour that is...

scarecrows
06-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Roddick didnt lose to Dancevic according to some Ducktards, he lost to some poisoned taco

BigJohn
06-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Those darn tacos...

The point is that Dancevic's game maybe beautiful, but it is perfectly suited to be hovering around the top 100 in the world and to post a losing record (35-53).

Nobody will bitch at Wimbledon when they look at the draw and see they'll face Dancevic in the first round.

Black Adam
06-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Like I said, the guy has moments of brilliance where he looks a bit like Jesus Fed, hence why he is liked by those who also worship Fedy.

P.S. Scarecrows you know well that Roddick hadn't been threatened by Dancevic, Tacos gave him that win. I will stick wit that opinion because it's the only one that makes sense. I mean the guy isn't even in the top 100!

LK_22
06-14-2008, 10:01 PM
I think they got most of the WC's right, apart from the last two and Kunitsyn, what were they thinking! I do think it's about time they made it less cushy for the Brits but Ascione and Spadea what a waste, would have preferred to Ward and another up and coming youngster get the last two, I can't see any of the other slams awarding WC's to only two players from their own country, 4 WC's for Brits would have been ideal.

Looking at other players in qualys I think Qureshi, Moodie, Mirnyi and from the Brits Bloomfield and Cox in particular would have made better WC choices. Might as well give the younger Brits a chance instead of the same old names.

tangerine_dream
06-14-2008, 10:19 PM
The LTA is fed up with giving wildcards to undeserving British players. I don't blame them and I applaud their decision.

Roddick didnt lose to Dancevic according to some Ducktards, he lost to some poisoned taco
Damn right. Taco Bell excuse trumps mono.

Andi-M
06-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Dancevic and Chardy very good choices.

I dont get why people are complaining about Spadea and Ascione they are not WCs they are in MD due to their ranking.

64 players are gonna lose in 1r anyway its no big deal. WCs are generally just there to make up the numbers.

shotgun
06-15-2008, 03:34 PM
This WC-allocating system is only a bit better than giving them to British no-hopers. The right thing to do (and not only talking about Wimbledon, but all four Slams), would be to make a ranking by surface and save at least a couple of WCs to the top ranked players on the surface that couldn't get into the MD. That way guys like Qureshi and Wessels wouldn't have to sit out in favour of players like Ascione and Vassallo Arguello.

krystlel
06-15-2008, 04:11 PM
I think they should have had a wildcard play-off (for one of their wildcard spots) like what they do in the Australian Open for the home players.

decrepitude
06-15-2008, 04:26 PM
I think they should have had a wildcard play-off (for one of their wildcard spots) like what they do in the Australian Open for the home players.

They did for the qualifying draw.

LTA Wild Card Play-Off Results

Friday, 13 June 2008

Written by AELTC

LTA Wild Card Play-Offs 2008

The winners of the LTA Wild Card Play Off held at Wimbledon were Jonathan Marray and Daniel Cox in the men's singles and Anna Smith and Elizabeth Thomas in the women's singles.

All four players advance to the Qualifying event at the Bank of England Sports Ground at Roehampton (begins on 16 June).

Stgobaiano
06-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Ignatik should had clinched 1 WC.
He was Wimbledon Jr Finalist and DY is IN

Consigliere
06-15-2008, 04:53 PM
wimbledon dont do the reciprocal thing with the other slams im assuming.

jazar
06-15-2008, 05:13 PM

Friday, 13 June 2008

Written by AELTC

The winners of the LTA Wild Card Play Off held at Wimbledon were Jonathan Marray and Daniel Cox in the men's singles and Anna Smith and Elizabeth Thomas in the women's singles.

All four players advance to the Qualifying event at the Bank of England Sports Ground at Roehampton (begins on 16 June).

but they then also gave qualifying wildcards to quite a few of the players who lost early in that play off

lucindia
06-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Chardy and Dancevic are great choices...But i think Bloomfield deserved one much more than Spadea or Ascione...

Cat123
06-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Good decisions. I'm sick of brits getting places they don't deserve. I'm happy Chardy's got a place too.

Scandal beauty
06-15-2008, 09:32 PM

A lot actually, his good looks his beautiful backhand and his great serve. Eat that!

BigJohn
06-15-2008, 09:55 PM
A lot actually, his good looks his beautiful backhand and his great serve. Eat that!

Eat what... :scratch:

This guy is so overrated.

Looks are debatable and beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

His actual game is nothing special. The guy can hardly maintain his place your in the top 100. Any WC given to a Canadian tennis player in a Slam is usually a waste: Canadians are as talented at tennis as well as Kenyans are talented at curling.

Scandal beauty
06-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Eat what... :scratch:

This guy is so overrated.

Looks are debatable and beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

His actual game is nothing special. The guy can hardly maintain his place your in the top 100. Any WC given to a Canadian tennis player in a Slam is usually a waste: Canadians are as talented at tennis as well as Kenyans are talented at curling.

Ouch! Why are you being such a hater?? If you're Canadian you should be more supportive of Pretty Boy Dancevic, he's the best singles player you've got at the moment if i am not totally mistaken.

Stgobaiano
06-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Dancevic sucks:confused: he is 24 and is out of top 100. Polanski is going to be much better than him

GlennMirnyi
06-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Dancevic has been out for months because of an injury, bunch of clowns. Why don't you inform yourselves before saying anything?

seljanin
06-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Dancevic is a very well-deserved WC, in my opinion. He's got a very good game for grass, and I won't be surprised if he makes a couple of rounds @ Wimby (depending on draw, of course).

I would have liked to see Qureshi getting a WC. Well, hopefully he does well on qualies :yeah:

Stgobaiano
06-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Dancevic has been out for months because of an injury, bunch of clowns. Why don't you inform yourselves before saying anything?

Big deal, in Clay he is not capable of win Lopez Jaen.

He is a mediocre player between 70 and 100, the only acceptable stroke that he have are the stop volleys.

GlennMirnyi
06-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Bullshit. He's still coming back from injury. He made a TMS QF last year and an ATP final, and he has just won Surbiton.

BigJohn
06-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Bullshit. He's still coming back from injury. He made a TMS QF last year and an ATP final, and he has just won Surbiton.

That would be 3 months out from January to May. And that is not a secret to anyone... :rolleyes: No insider information...

Now for Dancevic... Lets look at the facts.

Now ranked 98, before that low as 114, before that high of 65 up from 120, down from 82, and before that around 189, dating back to beginning of 2005.

Is that VERY ordinary ranking history also explained by his return from injury last January? The guy has peaked. Right now, he's living on his points from the Indi final, just like Bartoli is riding her Wimbledon final from last year.

He has a losing record on every surface saved for carpet. And no title.

But hey, if you wanna cheer for that talent-challenged dude, go for it. Who am I to stop you?

BigJohn
06-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Ouch! Why are you being such a hater?? If you're Canadian you should be more supportive of Pretty Boy Dancevic, he's the best singles player you've got at the moment if i am not totally mistaken.

I do not feel that I should support anyone because they were born in the same country as me. The guy has simply not done anything to make me a fan.

And yeah, he is our top player... How sad is that?

GlennMirnyi
06-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Gloryhunter, why don't you go back to jerking off watching top 10 players posters?

Frank is a late bloomer. He'll definitely make it to the top 50 at least.

GlennMirnyi
06-16-2008, 12:19 AM

If he were a top 10 that gloryhunter would definitely cheer for him. :rolleyes:

dam0dred
06-16-2008, 12:24 AM
That would be 3 months out from January to May. And that is not a secret to anyone... :rolleyes: No insider information...

Now ranked 98, before that low as 114, before that high of 65 up from 120, down from 82, and before that around 189, dating back to beginning of 2005.

Is that VERY ordinary ranking history also explained by his return from injury last January? The guy has peaked. Right now, he's living on his points from the Indi final, just like Bartoli is riding her Wimbledon final from last year.

But hey, if you wanna cheer for that talent-challenged dude, go for it. Who am I to stop you?

Are you for real?

Frank had his breakthrough last summer, got near the top 50, and then had all his momentum derailed with an injury. Not everyone plays their best tennis at 20. He's just getting started and has potential to be a solid top 50 player.

Get a clue.

Stgobaiano
06-16-2008, 12:25 AM
I do not feel that I should support anyone because they were born in the same country as me. The guy has simply not done anything to make me a fan.

And yeah, he is our top player... How sad is that?

When I saw Polanski he looked like a very interesting player. I think that he should be better than Dancevic

BigJohn
06-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Gloryhunter, why don't you go back to jerking off watching top 10 players posters?

Frank is a late bloomer. He'll definitely make it to the top 50 at least.

Dream on...

And please, Gloryhunter is quite uncalled for. Chill, you seem pretty intense.

BigJohn
06-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Are you for real?

Frank had his breakthrough last summer, got near the top 50, and then had all his momentum derailed with an injury. Not everyone plays their best tennis at 20. He's just getting started and has potential to be a solid top 50 player.

Get a clue.

You say breakthrough, I say peak. We'll see what happens.

GlennMirnyi
06-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Are you for real?

Get a clue.

You can't put sense inside a gloryhunter's head.

If Frank becomes a top 20 you'll see that someone becoming his biggest fanboy.

GlennMirnyi
06-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Dream on...

And please, Gloryhunter is quite uncalled for. Chill, you seem pretty intense.

People who talk s**t about top 100 players are gloryhunters.

Lee
06-16-2008, 12:32 AM

Would you suggest a player better in taking the WC than Dancevic? Who you think will play better than Dancevic on grass, etc?

BigJohn
06-16-2008, 12:37 AM
People who talk s**t about top 100 players are gloryhunters.

That would include a lot of people in here...

Are you sure you never badmouthed ANY player from the top 100?

I think you are just a rude opiniated bully who likes to argue.

BigJohn
06-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Would you suggest a player better in taking the WC than Dancevic? Who you think will play better than Dancevic on grass, etc?

Some young British player? To prepare them for the extreme pressure of Wimbledon for British players... Just my opinion here.

GlennMirnyi
06-16-2008, 12:42 AM

I consider a player based on his game, not his ranking.

I think a player shouldn't be considered a clown just because he's not a top 10.

I'm someone who knows a lot more about tennis than you'll ever know. :)

dam0dred
06-16-2008, 12:45 AM

Why are you so adamant that Frank is past his prime? I can guarantee that you've probably watched no more than 5 to 10 of his matches in your life yet you seem terribly convinced that this 24 year old kid has no chance at a decent career.

He's got a good serve, a decent volley, he seems like a hard worker and very motivated, he's a nice guy, and the only Canadian player in a long time to do anything worth talking about. Why so negative?

BigJohn
06-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Why are you so adamant that Frank is past his prime? I can guarantee that you've probably watched no more than 5 to 10 of his matches in your life yet you seem terribly convinced that this 24 year old kid has no chance at a decent career.

He's got a good serve, a decent volley, he seems like a hard worker and very motivated, he's a nice guy, and the only Canadian player in a long time to do anything worth talking about. Why so negative?

Sorry for being a non-believer about Dancevic.

Based on what he's done in the past, I just don't see the big breakthrough coming. But who knows what he'll do. Good for him if he does perform in the future. I would just be very surprised that is all. I had no clue he had such an international following.

Lee
06-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Some young British player? To prepare them for the extreme pressure of Wimbledon for British players... Just my opinion here.

Wimbledon gives WCs to all British players with a ranking above 250. And for players beyond the ranking of 250, I don't understand why they deserve the WC more than Dancevic.

But that's my opinion here.

GlennMirnyi
06-16-2008, 01:06 AM

He's got great volleys actually.

Sorry for being a non-believer about Dancevic.

Based on what he's done in the past, I just don't see the big breakthrough coming. But who knows what he'll do. Good for him if he does perform in the future. I would just be very surprised that is all. I had no clue he had such an international following.

I guess you'd say in 2002 that Federer wouldn't ever win a slam.

dam0dred
06-16-2008, 01:09 AM
This guy is so overrated. His actual game is nothing special. The guy can hardly maintain his place your in the top 100.

But who knows what he'll do. Good for him if he does perform in the future.

Well, good to see that I have talked some sense in to you. :)

If only people would just listen to me from the start, we'd all save a lot of time.

BigJohn
06-16-2008, 01:36 AM

If only people would just listen to me from the start, we'd all save a lot of time.

LOL. (I really did)

I don't know about the talked some sense into me part, but kudos for being positive... and civilized.

You are also very humble I can see.

GlennMirnyi
06-16-2008, 01:38 AM

Like your attitude, my friend. I feel the same.

dam0dred
06-16-2008, 01:59 AM
You are also very humble I can see.

I am humble about certain things. My backhand slice for example is atrocious.

But what can I say, I can't help being a beacon of wisdom and truth. :wavey:

krystlel
06-16-2008, 08:01 AM

Friday, 13 June 2008

Written by AELTC

Ah ok, thanks for that info.