Germans, Poles, Czechs, Dutch and French, come play tennis with me! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Germans, Poles, Czechs, Dutch and French, come play tennis with me!

Frooty_Bazooty
07-08-2004, 05:45 PM
since we finished out big exams last month, my friends and I are inter-railing around Europe for 3 and a half weeks to relax. This is our itinerary-:

Prague
Krakow
Warsaw
Berlin
Hamburg
Amsterdam
Paris
Lyon
Taizé

On the way, I'd love to play some tennis if possible, especially on some clay courts cos ive never played on clay before.

If there are any poles, czechs, germans, french or dutch who are up for a game, leave me a message :)

thanks

Tom

Btw, I am an 18 year old, 6 foot, slim Irish male and im reasonably good at tennis but not amazing. just to give you an idea of my abilities

Frooty_Bazooty
07-08-2004, 05:46 PM
oh yeah and in terms of languages, I speak English and Irish fluently and French conversationally and I can understand Latin (although i doubt many of you speak Latin :p )

Neely
07-09-2004, 01:38 AM
On the way, I'd love to play some tennis if possible, especially on some clay courts cos ive never played on clay before.
lol, cool... you've never played on claycourts :haha: :haha:

In Germany we have them ******* everywhere and I loathe them; and I wouldn't even say I played too much on them because I am looking to play indoor even when the weather is sunny outside :cool: but still hate them :o
but of course I have to respect the other player's opinions also so I sometimes have to play on claycourts :angel:

Frooty_Bazooty
07-09-2004, 12:25 PM
You're so lucky that you get to play on clay. All the courts in Ireland are of that fake plastic grass, astroturf i think it's called. It's a really boring surface, its the medium of tennis surfaces that has nothing special about it.

Are your indoor courts carpet or hard?

Neely
07-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Are your indoor courts carpet or hard?
mostly carpet in most indoor facilities I know
some even have a sort of granulate material (little pellets made out of rubber) on them so you are able to slide as outdoor on clay

Frooty_Bazooty
07-09-2004, 04:15 PM
sliding is the thing im most looking forward to :yippee: you cant slide on astroturf and after watching 3 clay masters series and RG, im desperate to do some serious sliding

elroyf
07-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Don't they put sand over the astroturf so you can slide a bit?

Frooty_Bazooty
07-09-2004, 04:30 PM
you can't slide on astroturf, its pretty much the same as trying to slide on tarmac

the sand is for rain purposes methinks

elroyf
07-09-2004, 04:35 PM
I have played on astroturf which is soft and you can slide on it. It is like a carpet with sand on! I suppose it is a bit like clay

Frooty_Bazooty
07-09-2004, 04:37 PM
you can't slide on the stuff i play on. maybe im getting the name wrong, im not entirely sure its called astroturf

elroyf
07-09-2004, 04:40 PM
There are only about 500 clay courts in the UK I think!

I really play on one too! I did in France once - and they were public courts!!!!!!

Frooty_Bazooty
07-09-2004, 04:43 PM
I dont know of a single clay court in Ireland,maybe thats why the Irish never do well at RG :tape:

elroyf
07-09-2004, 04:47 PM
I dont know of a single clay court in Ireland,maybe thats why the Irish never do well at RG :tape:

lol - true

Same for British - few clay courts, not good on clay - no need to be a genius :D

Frooty_Bazooty
07-09-2004, 05:02 PM
i think you're bein a bit harsh, Arvind Parmar on clay is a force to be reckoned with! :scared:

CooCooCachoo
07-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Hehe Frooty.. I'll have a match! And then we can fight out who has the gayest nick, LOL.

Anyway, I suck at tennis :) I did win some prizes years ago, but I haven't been on a court for a LONG time. Clay is my fav. surface to play on, though my game isn't fit for that surface :eek:

Frooty_Bazooty
07-11-2004, 04:18 PM
where do u live Martijn? Ill be in Amsterdam at around the 27th i think (we're working out how long we are staying in each place tonight). Is there somewhere we could play in Amsterdam?

CooCooCachoo
07-11-2004, 05:39 PM
I live in a city 20 minutes away from Rotterdam.. So not near Amsterdam. You weren't planning on visiting Rotterdam, I guessż

I have no idea whether we could play in Amsterdam. A lot of clubs here, including the two in my city, won't let you play if you are not a member (and since I am not a member of a club, that gives me problems). Maybe there is somewhere we can rent a court, but it might be expensive..

Frooty_Bazooty
07-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Nah, we're not going to Rotterdam :sad: at this point in time we only have 1 day in Amsterdam and then we're off to Paris

nevermind, Im sure I'll be doing another trip like this in the future and we can play then :wavey:

btw, i would SO win the battle of the gay names :lol:

Gonzalo81
07-11-2004, 06:04 PM
If you came anywhere near Buenos Aires, I´ll play with you...lol :haha:

CooCooCachoo
07-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Nah, we're not going to Rotterdam at this point in time we only have 1 day in Amsterdam and then we're off to Paris

nevermind, Im sure I'll be doing another trip like this in the future and we can play then

btw, i would SO win the battle of the gay names

Only one day??? Bah! I wanted to kick your (__|__) on the court!

If I were you, I'd skip the Louvre in Paris.. Versailles is GREAT though :)

Frooty_Bazooty
07-11-2004, 06:33 PM
we originally weren't going to go to Holland at all but i absolutely love Holland (i worked as an au pair for 3 weeks in Den Haag) and i managed to convince my friends to go for a day.

CooCooCachoo
07-12-2004, 07:18 AM
Ah cool :) If you're going on a clubbing tour through Europe, you can't miss The Netherlands, right? :p