Racquet for a beginner?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Racquet for a beginner??

Mr.White
06-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Hello!

Ive been searching, reading, testing ect.. lots of different wilson racquet, I will buy a wilson, and im pretty sure its gonna be a [K] so please keep your recomandation within the brand.

What ive been testing:

Wilson nCode N1 Force 125" head - boy was i wrong thinking a beginner was best off with a large racquet head.. You get some "free" points with the large head, and great power on clean hits.. But ALOT of "way-over-the-fence" hits. But it is a really sweet racquet, it feels good playing with, but to random results for a beginner (me)

Wilson Hammer 95" head (dont remember the exact model). Changed to this one after 1 hour with the N1, WOW!! What a control!! I feelt like i finaly "got it", my forehand was suddenly hard to return for my friend whos been playing for 3 years. He says i suddenly got lots of topspinn on it, and hit alot harder within the line than the N1 Force.

So the hammer was a goodie with lots of control. At first I had a very compact swing, and bought the Wilson K Five 108 after telling the seller that i had a compact swing, and that the N1Force was too much power. Is this still a good choice now that my swing has totally changed?? (i havent recived the K Five yet))

I am now also concidering:

K Three headsize 115", 9.5 oz / 269g.
K Four 112, 9.7 oz / 275g.
K six-two, 100" head, 10.6 oz / 300g
K six-one, 122" head, 9.4 oz / 266g

Info:

188 cm
95 kg
Grip size 5+
Swing: Full

btw: any tips for a beginner?? hitting against a wall? any technics i should practise on? ect.. I dont want to get som bad habits i cant get away from later on...

btw2.. sorry for the bad english, im from Norway.

thx!

Kind regards Mr.White

gaz
06-06-2008, 08:11 PM
i would try all of them and see which one i felt the most comfortabke with and would also try other brands other than wilson

jazar
06-06-2008, 08:30 PM
each manufacturer will make rackets similar to the ones you have listed. the k5 108 isnt available in england yet, so i havent hit with it. but you could maybe consider the smaller head version of it as well, as it has a similar head size to the hammer racket you tried and liked. however, i do feel the the k1 and k3 would be too big headsize for you

dunlopkickserve
06-06-2008, 08:38 PM
btw: any tips for a beginner?? hitting against a wall? any technics i should practise on? ect.. I dont want to get som bad habits i cant get away from later on...

Yeah go out and play tons of different people and if you play someone that you are going to beat easy (6-2) then try different things: getting into net or other stuff.

Also one more quick thing; when you learn the slice backhand don't over-use it. It is a mistake that almost everyone makes. Concentrate on hitting flat/topspin backhands deep and crosscourt.