<('.'<) Wimbledon - Grass court Season 2008 (>'.')> [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

<('.'<) Wimbledon - Grass court Season 2008 (>'.')>

Pages : 1 [2]

Ome
06-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Paulo leads 4-0*

One more break for your people, Prince :angel:

marifline
06-24-2008, 03:33 PM
King tossed his racket quite a few times in Paris and he always got booed!!

That's the automatic boo:cool: very French too

King moves like a fat cow on grass :eek: How on earth did he take a set !!! The commentators just said that Paulo was going to give the King the equivalent of a triple bagel before they realised it was impossible :haha: ( it can only stops at 17)

Ome
06-24-2008, 03:34 PM
OMG!! I saw the Prince slipped!!!!!!!! :speakles:

Is he ok? :awww:

marifline
06-24-2008, 03:34 PM
OMG!! I saw the Prince slipped!!!!!!!! :speakles:

Is he ok? :awww:

Yep don't worry

Ome
06-24-2008, 03:36 PM
That's the automatic boo:cool: very French too

King move like a fat cow on grass :eek: How on earth did he take a set !!! The commentators just said that Paulo was going to give the King the equivalent of a triple bagel before they realised it was impossible :haha: ( it can only stops at 17)

Way too cool :smoke:

:rolls: That paints me the picture :haha: Time to step down, I guess :p

The populations of the HoleySock Land is very angry at the Prince right now :lol:

marifline
The King won a game :lol: Paulo's just too kind :angel:

What time is it in Thailand ?

littlepaulette
Oh, Paulo... :sad: I wanted an other bagel... The ones you cook are just soooo delicious!!!!! :drool:

Ome
06-24-2008, 03:37 PM
The King won a set :lol: Paulo's just too kind :angel:

What time is it in Thailand ?

He's such a generous Prince :angel:

It's 9:40 PM over here.

Ome
06-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Yep don't worry
Thanks!

I only got to see his slip shot! Can you believe that?!! :lol: Freak me out!

Ome
06-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Oh, Paulo... :sad: I wanted an other bagel... The ones you cook are just soooo delicious!!!!! :drool:

I know :awww:

And here comes the lapse of concentration :o

marifline
06-24-2008, 03:40 PM
He's such a generous Prince :angel:

It's 9:40 PM over here.

I just have to remember there's a 5 hours time diference with Paris :( stupid me

30/40 on PauLo's serve

marifline
06-24-2008, 03:40 PM
deuce

Ad Paolito

5/1 yessssssss Paulo said on the first point - won by Herny- " Nan nan nan nan"

Ome
06-24-2008, 03:43 PM
The Prince should studies political science. One day we may have a longer life expectancy and better quality of life (mentally) :)

Break him! French fries instead of bagel... I think the King won't mind :D

marifline
06-24-2008, 03:44 PM
MP

VAMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS !!!!!!!!!!!! Holey sock, towel, pineapple !!! GO GO GO

EDIT : 2 MP wasted so far...:rolleyes:

Ome
06-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Ouch!

The Prince now has to serve it out.

marifline
06-24-2008, 03:48 PM
The three legendary items are now going to join their power to give the Prince the victory :aparty:

marifline
06-24-2008, 03:49 PM
The crowd is so funny, they're ranting at the King's poor performance

marifline
06-24-2008, 03:50 PM
GSM Paulo !!! :woohoo:

Ome
06-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Phewww. From the Prince with love :devil:
Your people are a wee bit unhappy with only one bagel, though :lol:

:bowdown: The Pineapple Prince, The Holey Sock and The Towel :worship:

Ome
06-24-2008, 03:53 PM
The three legendary items are now going to join their power to give the Prince the victory :aparty:

:bowdown: Simply LEGENDARY! :bowdown:

The crowd is so funny, they're ranting at the King's poor performance
:spit:

Ginevra83
06-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Alléz Paulo!!!!

bye bye

Ome
06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey Marie, is he wearing a new white shirt? :eek:

I just mentioned how bored I was of the RG white version :rolls:

marifline
06-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Hey Marie, is he wearing a new white shirt? :eek:

I just mentioned how bored I was of the RG white version :rolls:

Oh euh...well he's not on screen anymore :sad: and I'm not inot shirts like you are so I did'nt notice the shirt, you should have asked me earlier :lol: sorry

Invisible
06-24-2008, 04:08 PM
It's all Sharapova's fault that I missed the match point or whatever it was that they showed from Paulo's match a couple minutes ago :fiery: I had the TV turned way down because of her shrieking and I suddenly heard the commentators say something that made me think they were talking about Paulo and when I looked I only saw 2 seconds of it :bigcry:

Ome
06-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Oh euh...well he's not on screen anymore :sad: and I'm not inot shirts like you are so I did'nt notice the shirt, you should have asked me earlier :lol: sorry

I saw a picture on Getty and it is a different one!

The Prince sure knows how to please his people :worship:
:lol:

Ome
06-24-2008, 04:11 PM
It's all Sharapova's fault that I missed the match point or whatever it was that they showed from Paulo's match a couple minutes ago :fiery: I had the TV turned way down because of her shrieking and I suddenly heard the commentators say something that made me think they were talking about Paulo and when I looked I only saw 2 seconds of it :bigcry:

Sharapova :fiery:
:hug:

I didn't get a chance to see any point. Only a second of him slipped :o

Ome
06-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Schedule for Day 4: Thursday, 26 June 2008
Court 18 12.00 noon

1. Ladies' Singles
Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[13] v. Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA)

2. Gentlemen's Singles
Radek Stepanek (CZE)[16] v. Viktor Troicki (SRB)

3. Gentlemen's Singles
Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)[14] v. Jeremy Chardy (FRA)

4. Ladies' Doubles
Marta Domachowska (POL) v. Serena Williams (USA)[11]
Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) Venus Williams (USA)[11]

Ome
06-26-2008, 07:47 AM
Vamos Paulo!! :rocker2:

At least the bookies still think Prince is the favorite :lol:

Ome
06-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Prince :o

Geeeezzz! Have mercy on your people :p

Ome
06-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Paulo and Tipsy are making me soooooo freakin' nervous! :help:

PinkFeatherBoa
06-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Have you got coverage of Paulo, Jai? How's he playing?
I'm watching Tipsy, don't want to buy the pay stream.

Ome
06-26-2008, 08:11 PM
I've been watching Tipsy the God :lol:

My connection is not fast enough for the livestream so SB for me :o

PinkFeatherBoa
06-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Ok, thanks. Hopefully the French or someone will have seen it and report on it here later.

I never actually came here and reported on the legend that was Oscar vs Paulo! That match certainly lived up to its grass court potential! ;)

Ome
06-26-2008, 08:22 PM
If Paulo wins, I'll download this match tomorrow off the On Demand video :lol:

I watched the tape of that match! Serve and volley from the King!!! :hatoff:

Le Paulet
06-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Hey Ome, just one question. Where do you Download Paul-Henri Mathieu's matches please ?
Vamos Paulo.

Ome
06-26-2008, 09:24 PM
His matches can be downloaded from Wimbledon official stream here:
http://wimbledon.mediazone.com/other/mens_singles.html

You'll have to subscribe = pay for a pass though...

Le Paulet
06-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Ok Thank you Ome for this information. Paulo have a very good board, with the Andy Roddick's elimination and Davydenko out Paulo can see 1/2 F. For this Mathieu will have to beat Cilic and then Clement or Melzer and end up beating Tipsarevic. It's feasible for Mathieu. I hope see PH in 1/2 F :D

silverwhite
06-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Cilic again :tape:

The rest of his quarter is pretty open so this match will be crucial. :unsure:

novanora
06-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Paulo seems played very solid matches :eek: After Roddick and Davydenko's elimination, now he is the highest-ranking one in his Semi :spit:, best ever chance for him to prove himself! Next one......old friend Cilic again :hatoff:

Ome
06-28-2008, 03:57 AM
Schedule for Day 6: Saturday, 28 June 2008

Court 11 12.00 noon
1. Ladies' Singles
Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA) v. Marina Erakovic (NZL)

2. Ladies' Singles
Shahar Peer (ISR)[24] v. Dinara Safina (RUS)[9]

3. Gentlemen's Singles
Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)[14] v. Marin Cilic (CRO)

4. Mixed Doubles
Mahesh Bhupathi (IND)[11] v. Igor Andreev (RUS)
Sania Mirza (IND)[11] Maria Kirilenko (RUS)

Ome
06-28-2008, 03:59 AM
Vamos Paulo (and Mats +Patrice) !! :rocker2:

I'm beyond bored of Cilic :o

linus
06-28-2008, 12:32 PM
It is really difficult to believe... so many times Paulo and Marin play against each other in so short while :devil: whats happened indeed? I really doubt they have nothing in between :tape:

This time maybe Paulo would win since Marin is still just a boy in front of a "man" :help: :aplot:

Ome
06-28-2008, 07:14 PM
:speakles: :eek: Phewwwwwww!!!

Vamos Prince!!!

Truc
06-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Here's the article in L'Equipe:Mathieu perd la belle
Chacun avait gagné un match sur gazon cette saison, mais Cilic a remporté la rencontre la plus importante au bout de la nuit.
« JE NE VOIS plus rien ! », hurla Mathieu sur un coup gagnant qui ramenait Cilic à 4-4 dans ce tie-break de la quatrième manche. Il était près de 21 h 30 à Londres, 22 h 30 à Paris. On n’y voyait goutte. Mais le Croate avait le même problème. Et malgré ces conditions, les deux hommes finirent dans un feu d’artifice. Comme dans cette première balle de match effacée par le Français à 6-5, les deux hommes s’échangeant des parpaings de fond de court avant que Cilic ne boise. Le court no 11 encore copieusement garni, pouvait rugir de plaisir. Mais sur l’échange suivant, c’était au tour de Mathieu de toucher du bois. Deux coups boisés, les joueurs marchaient au radar. « Ça s’est joué à pile ou face, regrettait le perdant. Pour moi qui ai même du mal à conduire la nuit, cette pénombre c’était un vrai handicap. J’avais du mal à estimer la distance de la balle. Il fallait arrêter à 5-5. » Patrice Hagelauer, co-coach de Mathieu était catégorique : « C’était devenu injouable. C’est indigne de Wimbledon. » Mais le numéro 2 français n’aurait pas eu à jouer sa tête sur un coup de dés s’il n’avait pas subi pendant deux manches le service de son adversaire. « Cilic a servi d’une façon incroyable, il a une deuxième balle phénoménale », estimait Mats Wilander, le mentor suédois du Français. C’est pourtant Mathieu qui avait pris ce match par le bon bout. Bien installé sur ses jeux de service, il n’allait pas concéder la moindre balle de break dans la première manche. Il loupait la seule qu’il se procurait sur un mauvais retour. Raté sans conséquence puisqu’il allait s’imposer au tie-break de cette manche, grâce notamment à une double faute de Cilic.
« Un passage à vide »
Mais la deuxième manche, plombée par un break à 2-1, lui passa rapidement sous le nez. Il eut deux balles de débreak, mais Cilic réussit un passing délicat et une bonne première. Le scénario se répéta presque à l’identique dans le set suivant avec cette fois un break concédé dès le premier jeu. On en arriva à cette quatrième manche brillante malgré le déclin de la lumière. Si Cilic se détacha à nouveau en breakant le premier à 1-1,Mathieu eut les ressources pour débreaker aussitôt. Petit à petit, le Français se réinstalla dans le jeu. Au point d’obtenir une balle de deux sets partout à 5-4. Cilic sortit alors son arme maîtresse et réussit un service gagnant. Le tie-break allait être haletant. Mathieu se détacha 4-2, mais fit un coup droit long et subit ce coup gagnant dont on a parlé plus haut. « Je n’ai pas eu de réussite sur les deux balles de break du deuxième, raconta le numéro 16mondial. Après j’ai eu un passage à vide. Sans doute une fringale, après la longue attente avant de rentrer sur le court. » Et voilà comment se ferme la porte d’un sixième huitième de finale en Grand Chelem. Le plus important peut-être vu le déblayage des têtes de série dans ce quart de tableau. À Clément maintenant de le venger. Ce sera demain, à nouveau sur ce foutu court 11, qui avait déjà enterré Marion Bartoli.
PASCAL COVILLE

Truc
06-29-2008, 11:42 AM
The "translation":

Mathieu loses the decider
They both had won a match on grass this year, but Cilic won the most important one.
"I can't see anything!" Mathieu yelled on a winner of Cilic at 4-3 in the TB. It was 21:30 in London, the players saw not a thing anymore. But it was the same for Cilic. And yet they finished the match with a firework. On the 1st MP for Cilic, they both were striking the ball very hard from the baseline until Cilic hit the ball with the frame of his racquet. The many people who were still watching the match on Court 11 were roaring with delight. Next point: Mathieu hit the ball with the frame too. Two mishits which prove that they were playing on automatic pilot (= without really seeing the ball).
"It was a toss-up, Paulo regrets. I have troubles driving at night and the darkness was a real issue for me. I couldn't estimate the distance from the ball properly. We should have stopped at 5-5." Hagelauer is categorical: "It was impossible to play. It's not worthy of Wimbledon."
But the French number 2 wouldn't have had to risk his future in the tournament on a throw of the dice if he hadn't been dominated by the serve of his opponent during 2 sets. "Cilic served incredibly well, his 2nd serve is phenomenal", Wilander means.
Mathieu was the one who took the better start, though. He didn't face a BP in the 1st set and missed the only BP he had with a bad return. No big deal since he was going to take the TB, helped by a DF of Cilic.
But the 2nd set was gone in no time. He had two BP, but Cilic saved them with a tricky passing-shot and a good 1st serve. Same in the next set with a break for Cilic right in the 1st game this time. The 4th set was brilliant then despite of difficult lighting conditions. Cilic broke right away, but PHM broke back immediately and found back into the game gradually. He even had a SP at 5-4. Cilic saved it with his main weapon: a service winner. The TB was suspenseful. Mathieu took the lead 4-2, but hit a FH out and then came the winner mentioned at the beginning.
"I had no luck on the two BP in the 2nd set, the world number 16 says. And then I started to flag around. I was probably hungry after having waited so long for the match."
And that's how he missed his 6th 4th round in a Slam. Maybe the most important one considering all the seeds had lost in his part of the draw. Up to Clément to revenge him now. It will be on Monday, on this damn Court 11 which also was fatal to Bartoli.

PinkFeatherBoa
06-29-2008, 01:46 PM
:hug: Paulo, another tough loss.

I did manage to get into the match and was sitting quite close to the court and yeah the light was pretty bad for the last hour or so but of course they both had the same conditions and Cilic handled them the best. Though I agree they should have suspended play sooner but seeing as they play all 4th round on the same day, they were obviously hoping they could get it done and avoid schedule problems. Shame for Paulo though.

I hope Paulo has a nice rest and readies himself for new challenges ahead. Always a fun ride supporting him!

Ome
06-29-2008, 03:10 PM
:hug: Paulo, another tough loss.

I did manage to get into the match and was sitting quite close to the court and yeah the light was pretty bad for the last hour or so but of course they both had the same conditions and Cilic handled them the best. Though I agree they should have suspended play sooner but seeing as they play all 4th round on the same day, they were obviously hoping they could get it done and avoid schedule problems. Shame for Paulo though.

I hope Paulo has a nice rest and readies himself for new challenges ahead. Always a fun ride supporting him!

Jenny :hug: I'm so glad to read your last sentence! :lol:
I would love it if all of his fans think like that :awww:

Ome
06-29-2008, 03:25 PM
The "translation":

Mathieu loses the decider
They both had won a match on grass this year, but Cilic won the most important one.
"I can't see anything!" Mathieu yelled on a winner of Cilic at 4-3 in the TB. It was 21:30 in London, the players saw not a thing anymore. But it was the same for Cilic. And yet they finished the match with a firework. On the 1st MP for Cilic, they both were striking the ball very hard from the baseline until Cilic hit the ball with the frame of his racquet. The many people who were still watching the match on Court 11 were roaring with delight. Next point: Mathieu hit the ball with the frame too. Two mishits which prove that they were playing on automatic pilot (= without really seeing the ball).
"It was a toss-up, Paulo regrets. I have troubles driving at night and the darkness was a real issue for me. I couldn't estimate the distance from the ball properly. We should have stopped at 5-5." Hagelauer is categorical: "It was impossible to play. It's not worthy of Wimbledon."
But the French number 2 wouldn't have had to risk his future in the tournament on a throw of the dice if he hadn't been dominated by the serve of his opponent during 2 sets. "Cilic served incredibly well, his 2nd serve is phenomenal", Wilander means.
Mathieu was the one who took the better start, though. He didn't face a BP in the 1st set and missed the only BP he had with a bad return. No big deal since he was going to take the TB, helped by a DF of Cilic.
But the 2nd set was gone in no time. He had two BP, but Cilic saved them with a tricky passing-shot and a good 1st serve. Same in the next set with a break for Cilic right in the 1st game this time. The 4th set was brilliant then despite of difficult lighting conditions. Cilic broke right away, but PHM broke back immediately and found back into the game gradually. He even had a SP at 5-4. Cilic saved it with his main weapon: a service winner. The TB was suspenseful. Mathieu took the lead 4-2, but hit a FH out and then came the winner mentioned at the beginning.
"I had no luck on the two BP in the 2nd set, the world number 16 says. And then I started to flag around. I was probably hungry after having waited so long for the match."
And that's how he missed his 6th 4th round in a Slam. Maybe the most important one considering all the seeds had lost in his part of the draw. Up to Clément to revenge him now. It will be on Monday, on this damn Court 11 which also was fatal to Bartoli.

Thanks as always, Fran! :hatoff:

It sucks about the darkness. I totally get what it's like. I have to wear glasses at night :o It's difficult for people who don't have this problem to understand. But no point complaining anymore. We have got to move on. I notice that Mats and Patrice seem to support Paulo unconditionally. They really are on his side which is very comforting to know :yeah:

You know, I've been thinking. If I were him, I would have pulled out all the tricks I could think of to have the match suspended :lol: I would have called for a trainer, taken a bathroom break, put on contact lens, hell... I would have even taken a shower or a dinner! I'm beyond delighted that he wasn't as low as me. Who knows what Cilic would have done if he was in Paulo's shoes. (No offense!) I'm happy about it. There's something to take away from this match. And I'm taking away the fact that Paulo has the sportsmanship :p Most importantly, he didn't yell at the umpire :worship: Someone is growing up fast! :lol:

PinkFeatherBoa
06-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Jenny :hug: I'm so glad to read your last sentence! :lol:
I would love it if all of his fans think like that :awww:

Awww :hug:, that is sweet of you to say that.
I don't know, for me with my favourites just seeing them play and try to fight, even when they're not at their best is enough for me. For instance, one of my favourite moments of the French Open other than Paulo's matches, as a Coria fan was to see Coria fighting to win and play 2 competitive sets of tennis against Robredo, since as his fan that was high and above some of his recent levels and what I had expected of him. I guess what I'm trying to say is that every down moment makes all the triumphant ones all the sweeter, or maybe that I'm just a perennial underdog fan or something! ;)
Obviously, I'd love Paulo to win (almost- bar ones against Richard) every match he plays :angel: but I'm his fan because of the reality. I like him because of who he is! Even in his most frustrating of moments. :p

I like what you say about Paulo's sportmanship to be a positive to come from the match, he could have easily found a way to end that prematurely and saved himself for another day but that would be too dirty and Paulo is too sweet for that, of course.

I hope you get to see him at the Olympics Jai, he is truely great in person and no one deserves the chance to meet with him and see him play more than you.

Ome
06-30-2008, 03:53 AM
Awww :hug:, that is sweet of you to say that.
I don't know, for me with my favourites just seeing them play and try to fight, even when they're not at their best is enough for me. For instance, one of my favourite moments of the French Open other than Paulo's matches, as a Coria fan was to see Coria fighting to win and play 2 competitive sets of tennis against Robredo, since as his fan that was high and above some of his recent levels and what I had expected of him. I guess what I'm trying to say is that every down moment makes all the triumphant ones all the sweeter, or maybe that I'm just a perennial underdog fan or something! ;)
Obviously, I'd love Paulo to win (almost- bar ones against Richard) every match he plays :angel: but I'm his fan because of the reality. I like him because of who he is! Even in his most frustrating of moments. :p

I like what you say about Paulo's sportmanship to be a positive to come from the match, he could have easily found a way to end that prematurely and saved himself for another day but that would be too dirty and Paulo is too sweet for that, of course.

I hope you get to see him at the Olympics Jai, he is truely great in person and no one deserves the chance to meet with him and see him play more than you.

It would have been easier for me to have more than one favorite at this point :lol: Someone please PM me the candidates for my new favorite!!!!!! :rocker2:

Talking about Coria...
To be honest, he's far from being my favorite just because he beat Paulo in Monte Carlo :lol: But lately, I admire him soooooo much for the fight he's giving. I'm sure it's been very difficult for him. To see him keep on trying, playing in Challengers, etc. is just inspiring. :hatoff: to him. Really :yeah:

It took me a while to understand "how" to be Paulo's fan. I sometimes feel like I'm alone in this. You have no idea how much it means to me seeing your posts here. I mean, we're pretty much on the same page! Some people just don't appreciate his effort. What he's been through in his career worth more than winning matches to me. (Even though I want him to win every match he plays, too! :lol:)

Ever since I took a course in sports psychology, I've learned to draw some positivities out of such situation. Losing a match is not the end of the world. It's important to get pass it somehow. If you have the ability to see the positive side out of the worst situation, you're a winner because it's one of the most difficult things to do. My prof always says.

I'm about to apply for a VISA to China. Seems like a long shot since a few friends of mine were denied :o Anyway, thanks for saying that! :D Means the world to me!