RG Rd. 3: Monfils d. Melzer 4-6, 7-5, 4-6, 6-0, 6-2. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG Rd. 3: Monfils d. Melzer 4-6, 7-5, 4-6, 6-0, 6-2.

The Freak
05-31-2008, 03:56 PM
:woohoo:

Monfils really started playing well towards the end of that match, and the serve was cranking as he had 19 aces. :worship:
He improves to 5-1 in 5th sets.
Davydenko/Ljubo next.

osalsyst
05-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Typical Melzer cracking at the worst possible time. He had BPs at 5-5 in the second and again at 15-40 in the first game of the fourth. He was totally unhinged after that. I have no idea why he didn't even try to hold serve at 0-5 in the fourth. :smash:

Credit to Monfils for hanging tough and waiting until the inevitable occurred. :)

LinkMage
05-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Well done Monfils. :yeah:

mivco
HAHA another blowjob by melzer :D :D :D

Allegretto
Melzer is a huge moron. Accepted the bagel willingly and was never going to get going again after that.

finishingmove
05-31-2008, 04:01 PM
excellent monfils

LilyRoseAva
fantastic win :worship: congrats gaell

HeretiC
I thought that Gael will do this much quickier and easier than this.

elessar
05-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeaaaaah....

Burrow
05-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Monfils :zzz:

Manon
05-31-2008, 04:08 PM
:(

GlennMirnyi
05-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Monfils is probably the worst player in all the top 200.

Melzer = twat.

l_mac
05-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Annoying result :mad:

Montego
05-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Except the serve, Monfils must be the biggest pusher in the Top 1000. Next to Murray that is. With his psychical attributes he should be spanking winners right and left, his moonballing is sometimes annoying.

But he can't do that when standing 3 metres behind the baseline.

Corey Feldman
05-31-2008, 04:20 PM
LE MONF !!!!!!

but F Off BBCi

GlennMirnyi
05-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Except the serve, Monfils must be the biggest pusher in the Top 1000. Next to Murray that is. With his psychical attributes he should be spanking winners right and left, his moonballing is sometimes annoying.

Since when the power of your shots is related to your physical attributes? His technique is atrocious.

rocketassist
05-31-2008, 04:24 PM

But he can't do that when standing 3 metres behind the baseline.

Boredo, Simon and Canas are the biggest pushers in the top 200.

Montego
05-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Since when the power of your shots is related to your physical attributes? His technique is atrocious.

Well the big shots are not the derivative of good psychical attributes of course, but you cannot say that being tall and well-built isn't helphul in this department :)

TheSwissMaster
05-31-2008, 04:25 PM
took years to finish but thanks god its over now.
its rogi time now:)
eat him, rogi:)

krystlel
05-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Yes, Melzer completely fell apart after the third set. I felt like Monfils wasn't significantly better to warrant a 6-0 6-2 scoreline in the last two sets and he sure did a lot of pushing today.

krystlel
05-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Yeah, after watching this match, Monfils must be the biggest pusher. Even when he gets a short ball, he just hits it back like normal and waits until he gets into a very defensive position to hit a winning shot. Frustrating that Melzer's play went way down after winning the third set, although I was surprised he took it that far given his poor form this year.

maf
05-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Well the big shots are not the derivative of good psychical attributes of course, but you cannot say that being tall and well-built isn't helphul in this department :)

No it really isn't. Plus he isn't that physically strong ..

Henry Chinaski
05-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Monfils is well capable of hitting the ball hard. whether it's related at all to his physique doesn't really matter. what matters is he chooses to push and he's never going to get anywhere if he keeps it up. this was pretty dire stuff. Melzer choked badly when he had break points to go 6-5 up in the 2nd set.

jonny84
05-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Nice to see Gael doing well here.

Renaud
05-31-2008, 05:33 PM
its rogi time now:)
eat him, rogi:)

It's Ljubo time.

alfonsojose
05-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Monfils :tape:
Jurgen :o :smash:

Truc
05-31-2008, 06:02 PM
Monfils is well capable of hitting the ball hard. whether it's related at all to his physique doesn't really matter. what matters is he chooses to push and he's never going to get anywhere if he keeps it up. this was pretty dire stuff.Apparently, his new coach Champion also tells him to play like that at the moment, that's what he says himself in interviews. It always sounds like they're starting from the scratch again and trying to rebuild his consistency from the baseline first before he can even think of playing differently.

His team often hints at serious problems he had during that long injury break and that he's now slowly recovering his interest for the game, etc.
His physical coach (who was working with him 2 years ago already) also said in an interview that he can still only do 50% of the stuff he used to do 2 years ago.
They all sound like they're trying to rebuild him as a player and it's just the first step and he has to go through that.

I know it's really ugly to watch.

Truc
05-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Champion in L'Equipe after the Horna match:
"Si vous pensiez que Gaël allait revenir sur le circuit et écraser tous les mecs en balançant des mites en coup droit et des paquets d’aces, vous étiez dans le rêve. Moi, je l’avais prévenu : ”Tu ne joueras bien que quand tu auras gagné des matches en limant. Tu vas devoir retrouver le goût de la sueur et tu vas manger de la terre. Si tu es d’accord pour ce programme, alors tu seras sur le bon chemin.”"
If you were thinking that Gaël was going to come back on the tour and crush everybody around with huge forehand winners and tons of aces, you were dreaming. I had warned him: 'Before being able to play well, you'll have to file your way through the matches. You'll need to recover the taste of the effort and you'll have to eat clay. If you agree to do that, you'll be on the right way.'

GlennMirnyi
05-31-2008, 06:08 PM

Ancic is like that. How much power does he have? Not much. :)

Henry Chinaski
05-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Apparently, his new coach Champion also tells him to play like that at the moment, that's what he says himself in interviews. It always sounds like they're starting from the scratch again and trying to rebuild his consistency from the baseline first before he can even think of playing differently.

His team often hints at serious problems he had during that long injury break and that he's now slowly recovering his interest for the game, etc.
His physical coach (who was working with him 2 years ago already) also said in an interview that he can still only do 50% of the stuff he used to do 2 years ago.
They all sound like they're trying to rebuild him as a player and it's just the first step and he has to go through that.

Thanks for the info. I guess it makes sense especially after the injury problems.

I think it's going to be tough for any coach to persuade him to play differently though. I heard a commentator yesterday, might have been Wilander, mention some odd quote from Monfils where he described himself as a rat and said that he played and always would play like a rat.

Tutu
05-31-2008, 06:27 PM
He should be winning these matches so much easier...

Allez Gael.

Tutu
05-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Apparently, his new coach Champion also tells him to play like that at the moment, that's what he says himself in interviews. It always sounds like they're starting from the scratch again and trying to rebuild his consistency from the baseline first before he can even think of playing differently.

Thanks. Yeah, Champion sounds like a really great coach. Goig to a challenger and being forced to come to the net at least once every game was very, very smart. But yeah, you can't expect him to start attacking every single ball and coming to the net off every single one. Baby steps. However, with wimbledon around the corner, I hope he isn't still playing this game. It's fine on clay, but not on grass. Hope I see him when I go.

maf
05-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Ancic is like that. How much power does he have? Not much. :)

Roddick also, a famous winner machine

mdjenders
05-31-2008, 10:48 PM
this match looked like a 3.5 pusher battle at the local park at times, but glad to see monfils get through. his personality is always fun to watch.

gogogirl
05-31-2008, 11:31 PM
Hey All,

I went to the grocery store as soon as the third set ended for this match - and I thought to meself that Gael wouldn't fight. Needless to say, I was surprised to see he had pulled it out.

John McEnroe was saying how he should attack and be aggressive more - and that he stood too far back behind the baseline. Of course, I could see that w/my own eyes.

I agree that he needs to attack the short balls more, but over all, I think he is like so many players today that stand so far behind the baseline to return. That's fine, but when they see a short ball or hit an approach shot, they need to charge. I think this tactic is something that is learned and felt. I think Gael understands that he needs to do it more - because if we are discussing it - we know some in the French press are also.

I think for the most part, he has the aspect of stepping inside the court to be more aggressive on his horizon. He mos' def' needs to step it up.

I don't think Melzer choked at all in the last two sets. He was just outplayed. What happened to him then?

leng jai
05-31-2008, 11:44 PM
Roddick also, a famous winner machine

He had power in 03 at least on the forehand. Now hes get one of the weakest baseline games in the top 50.

Knightmace
06-01-2008, 06:01 AM
Monfils

Kristen
06-01-2008, 07:07 AM
Oh my god. Karl must have felt a huge load off his shoulders when he stopped working with Jurgen. You imbecile! Use your freaking talent...if it is still there :mad:

Rumour
06-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Nice to see Gael doing well here.
Yes it's good to see him win but his current style of play still doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence. This was the first match of his I saw a good deal of since MC and, while there were positives of course like his serve, it was frustrating to see Monfils refuse to step in the court and take advantage of balls that were just begging for a good smack :o

No one's advocating him netrushing all the time, plus he obviously feels more comfortable playing way back so it's not an aspect of his game that's going away soon. However, given the other tools at his disposal, it seems he places too much confidence and emphasis on his defensive ability and not enough on doing other things, even when the opportunities present themselves, to help shorten points and make things easier on himself and his body.

I don't think Melzer choked at all in the last two sets. He was just outplayed.
The fourth seemed like a tank job IMO but it gave Monfils a boost and he was clearly the better player in the fifth. Hopefully he won't need to go the distance in his next match against Ljubicic, who's definitely a preferable opponent to Davydenko but not to be taken lightly...