Is Tennis the most difficult sport to make it to the top? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Tennis the most difficult sport to make it to the top?

Kuhne
05-31-2008, 09:56 AM
I know this is subjective and many have their opinions depending on which their favorite sport is.

I've allways thought that the most difficult sport for one to make it from nothing to the very top is Boxing. Mainly because every poor guy on the streets with 2 fists and nothing to lose feels he can have a shot and boxing is a sport when no matter how talented and godlike your skill may be. if that guy on the street lands a solid right hand your carreer could be over. or your rise to the top could be severly halted.

Also, the fact that one loss alone can mean a lot. it's also very strange in the way that when you are on the very top of the game, (think a mayweather, de la hoya, hopkins, lennox lewis - retired) you can fight once a year and thats ok. your "best" status doesn't go away. but if you do lose that fight, your "best" status instantly goes down the drain. and of course also it is a sport where you are constantly geting punched on the face.. it's even worst than mixed martial arts.

Having said all that, I have to say Tennis is the second most difficult sport in my book to make it to the top. mainly cos unlike boxing, it costs more money to get started and also even if you make it to the very very top, you are still subject to ridiculously crazy schedules. traveling all over the place if you want to keep your ranking. it really feels like a job sometimes. it seems like for a guy to make it to #1 the way Federer has, or Sampras or even Nadal (#2 :) ) it requires an effort I just don't see in other sports.

What do you guys think? is Tennis THE most difficult sport for one simple guy to learn and make it to the very top of the game?

FedererSlam
05-31-2008, 10:02 AM
I don't if it is THE most difficult but is certainly up there in the top 5 for me. Us hardcore fans know better than any what a player must go through to reach the top.

They must start from a young age and dedicate their life to tennis training hours a day on technique and physical. Most often they lose their teenage years socially and it is very hard to keep a relationship going if you want to. Even then they must be hugely talented and have a refined competitive mentality.

All this just to give them a shot at getting up there and even then you can sometimes land as a top 100-200 player. Truly these players live like monks almost to reach where they are. Certainly they work much harder than footballers who earn grossly even at low levels. Boxing is up there with them and I would also say swimming and rugby.

Duncan
05-31-2008, 10:05 AM
No

Mountain climbing maybe

Kolya
05-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Golf is pretty hard to reach the top 10.

All sports are hard to reach the top...

groundstroke
05-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Nope, not even close. Football (soccer) is.

Manon
05-31-2008, 01:08 PM

Seconded.

Slasher
05-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Gymnastics requires an actual muscular physique and more agility, skills, levels of concentration and control over the body than tennis and soccer does.

groundstroke
05-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Gymnastics requires an actual muscular physique and more agility, skills, levels of concentration and control over the body than tennis and soccer does.
While soccer requires (in European countries) a lot of luck to even be recognized considering it is the most popular sport in the world.

kafemotor
05-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Motoracing for difficulty, risk, and rivalry--not to mention team, money, and technology.

zcess81
05-31-2008, 01:31 PM
It's all about popularity. The more popular the sport is the more competition there is and therefore the harder it is to make it to the top. Football and F1 are far more popular than tennis, so I would Imagine it's harder to make it to the top.

Xavier7
05-31-2008, 01:35 PM

No way man. Thats just utter garbage.
It is much more difficult to make it in tennis than football.
In football the players in lower leagues in football, can still get paid a fortune.
Tennis players who get stuck in futures and challengers make very little money in tennis.
Also there are far far more players who can make it in football as you need many people to make up a team, whereas in tennis its just one guy.
In the UK how many people could you say made it in tennis in the last 10 years. Henman, Rusedski and Murray makes 3 who got to the top of the game. Then maybe 10 to 20 others got to some decent professional level like Martin Lee, Bogdanovic, Parmar, Sherwood, Hilton, Childs etc
In football there are hundreds of football players who made it and compete in the premier league or 1st division, being paid an obscene amount of money.
In all seriousnes the 10000th best football player in the world can probably make a living from it, and earns more money than the 100th best tennis player in the world.

Slasher
05-31-2008, 01:37 PM
While soccer requires (in European countries) a lot of luck to even be recognized considering it is the most popular sport in the world.

May be true. I still say a gymnast selected for any top Olympic gymnastics team, like Romania or China, has more athletic ability and mental strength than most tennis and soccer players.

tennisfan444
05-31-2008, 01:44 PM
I'd go with football (soccer) then tennis

groundstroke
05-31-2008, 01:48 PM
In football the players in lower leagues in football, can still get paid a fortune.
Tennis players who get stuck in futures and challengers make very little money in tennis.
Also there are far far more players who can make it in football as you need many people to make up a team, whereas in tennis its just one guy.
In the UK how many people could you say made it in tennis in the last 10 years. Henman, Rusedski and Murray makes 3 who got to the top of the game. Then maybe 10 to 20 others got to some decent professional level like Martin Lee, Bogdanovic, Parmar, Sherwood, Hilton, Childs etc
In football there are hundreds of football players who made it and compete in the premier league or 1st division, being paid an obscene amount of money.
In all seriousnes the 10000th best football player in the world can probably make a living from it, and earns more money than the 100th best tennis player in the world.
Football is the most popular sport in the world, getting recognized and getting a decent wage bill is nearly impossible these days. For tennis, almost everything depends on you. (training, attitude, etc). While football depends on being scouted.

kafemotor
05-31-2008, 01:55 PM
What is more difficult than something beyond your control? In motorsports, technology and racing politics are involved that you need more than just being genius.

Manon
05-31-2008, 01:56 PM
As for gymnastics - tough, course, but they (unhumans) are starting with very young girls and boys (before only in eastern countries, now in the whole world), making the ruin of their souls. Child abuse almost.

I'll stick with groundstroke's posts.

arm
05-31-2008, 01:58 PM
No way. Football, golf, etc...

zcess81
05-31-2008, 02:27 PM

Even if that was true that's not the topic of this tread...the question is is tennis the most difficult sport to make it to the TOP, not 100 or 200. Football is far more difficult to make it to the top...the top being paying for a MAJOR football club/winning player of the year awards etc. So you're looking for Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo, Messi, Kaka etc.

As for your second statement....why do you think that is? It is definately not because tennis is more difficult to get into but because tennis is virtually non existant in the UK.

Tennis-Engineer
05-31-2008, 02:46 PM
This question has not certain answer. Judo, Wresteling, Box and karate are also very hard to reach top in them.One small mistake in Judo or Wrestling means elimination in that tournament but a tennis player can make 40-50 unforced error in a match and finally win it.

kafemotor
05-31-2008, 02:48 PM
As for gymnastics - tough, course, but they (unhumans) are starting with very young girls and boys (before only in eastern countries, now in the whole world), making the ruin of their souls. Child abuse almost.

I'll stick with groundstroke's posts.

And how about any racer who started either on go kart or bike at 7 or younger?:wavey:

Manon
05-31-2008, 02:54 PM
And how about any racer who started either on go kart or bike at 7 or younger?:wavey:

Good point.

Aloimeh
05-31-2008, 03:06 PM
In my view, gymnastics is the hardest. The training and exercise these people do is almost inhumane. Girl gymnasts have so little body fat that they many don't even get a period until after they've quit, usually in their early 20s. There aren't many competitions either - your career and reputation is staked on a few championships - e.g. Europe, World, and the Olympics. Getting points depends on the whim of the judges. There's intense pressure from coaches, teammates, the government, etc. and there are no second attempts. One fall can mean your team doesn't get a medal; a wobble on your dismount can eliminate you from personally winning a medal.

Slasher
05-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Even if that was true that's not the topic of this tread...the question is is tennis the most difficult sport to make it to the TOP, not 100 or 200. Football is far more difficult to make it to the top...the top being paying for a MAJOR football club/winning player of the year awards etc. So you're looking for Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo, Messi, Kaka etc.

As for your second statement....why do you think that is? It is definately not because tennis is more difficult to get into but because tennis is virtually non existant in the UK.

http://www.lta.org.uk/Newsroom/FactsAndFigures/

This article says Britain has over 860,000 registered tennis players. How would you define nonexistent?