Nadal vs Federer: weather and other players [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal vs Federer: weather and other players

Stefanos13
05-31-2008, 06:06 AM
It seems that Roger has a unique chance this year at RG in the sense that the road to the final seems easier in theory than that of Nadal :(

THE WEATHER: we know that Nadal likes sunny and dry conditions, but have you seen the weather forecast? Paris will have 'Hamburg conditions' until next Sunday with temperatures not going higher than 23. Cold and wet seems to be on Roger's side and may make Nadal feel that this is a different tournament altogether. Last year the conditions were to Nadal's strength with some "very very very nice hot weather"

THE OTHER PLAYERS: the reality is that Roger doesn't have a true blockbuster match until the final (if he makes it). Whereas Nadal has a resurgent Almagro and a determined Djokovic to get through.

Fascinating...

keroni
05-31-2008, 06:44 AM
Wawrinka.

opeth84
05-31-2008, 06:54 AM
Agreed, it's shaping to be a very interesting second week of tennis. If federer makes the final this year you would have to think he will finally break the drought but even under the heavy conditions in hamburg he couldn't get the job done.

Wawrinka.

Wouldn't it be great if Wawrinka does go deep here? Would be great to see the Man really cement his place in the top 10. Would do a great deal of good for his confidence.

Klaas_nalbandian
05-31-2008, 08:13 AM
hmmmm nadal hasn't got real tough matches until djoko in my opinion, only worried about his blisters, almagro won't worry him, Imo Verdasco is better

fed has ancic maybe soderling wawa davy although he wins them almost every time

Manon
05-31-2008, 08:16 AM
Cristofer C. in 'Santa Maria' rides again.

About 10 similar topics...

kobulingam
05-31-2008, 08:17 AM
If these blisters split open again then Nadal is in trouble *http://www.repubblica.it/2006/05/gallerie/sport/problemi-nadal/1.html

FedererSlam
05-31-2008, 09:58 AM
dam they look bad. I agree as far as draw and conditions go Fed has it better than previous years but he still has to get there and he had a similar situation in Hamburg where he still lost...

It's still an uphill battle to say the least.

Stefanos13
05-31-2008, 10:06 AM
dam they look bad. I agree as far as draw and conditions go Fed has it better than previous years but he still has to get there and he had a similar situation in Hamburg where he still lost...

It's still an uphill battle to say the least.

They do, but the most underrated factor is the weather; for which commentators make very little reference. Nadal's interview shows (if you read between the lines) that the damp conditions affect (negatively) his spin and and bounce – which are his biggest weapons at RG.

FedererSlam
05-31-2008, 10:12 AM
True but the ball travels slightly slower on damp clay which is to Fed's disadvantage but admittedly he would prefer a court that negates Nadals spin with which is a little slower than his extreme topspin on a sunny day.

marcRD
05-31-2008, 10:14 AM
I think both have very much the same draw from now on.

Söderling-Verdasco are both power players who play very aggresive and good players on clay.
Almagro-Wawrinka beautiful onehanded backhands and both are great baseliners and probably the topduo of the upcoming clay generation.
Djokovic-Davydenko Both powerful and fast on both wings, Davydenko is a better mover on clay while Djokovic is a better server and better on the net.

FedererSlam
05-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Soderling andVerdasco are virtually the same but Almagro is playing some good clay court tennis and will pose more of a problem than Stan who always has trouble coping with Fed mentally.

As for donkey he is good on clay but Fed handles him easily whilst Djoko is going to trouble Nadal for sure even if he won't win.

marcRD
05-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Soderling andVerdasco are virtually the same but Almagro is playing some good clay court tennis and will pose more of a problem than Stan who always has trouble coping with Fed mentally.

As for donkey he is good on clay but Fed handles him easily whilst Djoko is going to trouble Nadal for sure even if he won't win.

I disagree, Wawrinka hasnt even faced Fedrer on clay and is having a better claycourt season than Almagro.
Davydenko is not an easy match for Federer. So far he has just been beaten down mentaly by almost winning sets and choking. Should Davydenko have more luck and lets say win the 1st set we are in for a battle in hell for Federer.

I would much prefer Ferrer in semifinal ofcourse.