Federer BH : Laver BH (NOTE: for the classic backhand lover only) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer BH : Laver BH (NOTE: for the classic backhand lover only)

fast_clay
05-31-2008, 02:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-VeBIal8TU

see 1:37sec.

There are a number of examples in this video... and i posted this in the current Grass season thread, but, for all of the Federer Classic BH lovers is this shot that has had so many connisseurs likening Federer to the great Laver...?

1:37sec: The play where 37+ yr old Laver brings Nadal-of-the-70's Borg to the net and produces a backhand flick crosscourt probably illustrates best the comparison in greatness...

does anyone know of a video out there that displays federer making a similar play and finding an equal backhand pass...?

Yes, Nadal's spin is heavier ten fold, but the racquet is wood and head smaller... so i feel a comparison is warranted here.

Good video because of the speed of it. The surface: brilliant... har tru... fast clay... american tennis' biggest mistake is not giving it a Masters Series event...

Lastly... and sadly... Laver displays all that was right about australian tennis once open a time... where shot makers and truly aggressive players felt at home on clay... but the advance of the cancer that is synthetic grass in australia saw to an end of that...

no wonder fed sought out roche with presents and love letters just as Luke sought out Yoda in the mysterious and unknown Degabar system...

two hands for beginners please...

:p

HNCS
05-31-2008, 03:12 AM
thanks for the video.

JimmyV
05-31-2008, 03:27 AM
Cool video.

kafemotor
05-31-2008, 06:20 AM
I love classic single handed BH. I used to play with it. Having a good one is just like owning all powerful shots... :)Tnx for the video

fast_clay
05-31-2008, 06:53 AM
theres another on you tube connors vs laver, the year after connors won 3 of the four majors. and in it other great examples of that backhand...

another feature of rogers play when compared with laver is the amount of flat face and open faced returns he hits...

the theory behind it is alarmingly simple: its not about % return points won... but % of return points made and played... thus, he just gets into a match quicker than everyone else... and then... goes thru the gears at will...

he lets u the opposition play first tho which is funny and sick...

which makes djok n nadal so special... they dont mind playing either... or going thru the gears at will...