No Argentinians in French Open QF (since 2001), no in 4R (since 1998) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

No Argentinians in French Open QF (since 2001), no in 4R (since 1998)

Adler
05-30-2008, 07:12 PM
I guess nobody saw something like that one coming. It happens first time in 7 years(2001 quarterfinalists : Kuerten, Kafelnikov, Ferrero, Hewitt, Grosjean, Agassi, Federer, Corretja)

There's also no Argies in 4R since 1998 (Delgado, Mantilla, Meligeni, Muster, Rios, Costa, Moya, Knippschild, Dewulf, Clavet, Corretja, Stoltenberg, Safin, Pioline, Berasategui, Arazi)

What happened?

HeretiC
05-30-2008, 07:14 PM
No Argentinians in R16.

LocoPorElTenis
05-30-2008, 07:14 PM
I think everybody saw it coming - no Argentinians in QF of any of the clay MS, and only one MM clay title for Argentina in 2008 and guess where was that tournie? A really critical time for Argentinian tennis, despite the DC SF, but Schwank is giving a bit of hope that not all is lost.

Adler
05-30-2008, 07:17 PM
No Argentinians in R16.
I'm just making a research for that :)

GlennMirnyi
That's what happens when you overrate people too much.

Fumus
See...you cut down on the doping and this what happens!! HA! *ba doot chish*

Whatever, Argentina is not really the power house it once was anyways, this really should not surprise anyone...Nalbandian is Argentinian tennis at the moment. (Where is Del Potro?)

Clara Bow
05-30-2008, 07:20 PM
A really critical time for Argentinian tennis, despite the DC SF, but Schwank is giving a bit of hope that not all is lost.

At the risk of being bandwagony- he does seem like a good hope for the future.* He is just 22 so he could be more of a late bloomer. I have been impressed by his mentality.

* It is hard not to "bandwagon" when you have no exposure to a player and then voila- you hear the stories of their winning streak and see them have impressive play on the big stage.

Adler
05-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Well, I must say it's not a thing that bothers me especially. I mean, most of them play quite boring tennis (exceptions are Nalbandian and Coria), but whatever me or some other people think, they did deserve credits for their clay skills. And now there's a collapse.

2 Americans, Brit, Aussie, Latvian and Finn in 3R, and only 1 Argentinian

LilyRoseAva
05-30-2008, 08:03 PM
coria gaudio nalbandian in 2003?

Albop
05-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Overrated clowns

shotgun
05-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Argentinian tennis has been very dependant of Nalbandian and Monaco (to a lesser extent) lately, so when both are out early, it's not a surprise there are no Argies left by the middle weekend.

ChinoRios4Ever
05-30-2008, 08:06 PM
but they probably will win the DC this year :shrug:

Clara Bow
05-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Overrated clowns

Hmmm...I prefer the term underachieving headcases myself. :p

rofe
05-30-2008, 08:13 PM
coria gaudio nalbandian in 2003?

It is a thread about no Argentinians in the QF or 4R. ;)

scoobs
05-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Javier Frana was better than the lot of them.

Alonsofz
05-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Overrated clowns

Ditto.

Black Adam
05-30-2008, 08:22 PM
See...you cut down on the doping and this what happens!! HA! *ba doot chish*

Whatever, Argentina is not really the power house it once was anyways, this really should not surprise anyone...Nalbandian is Argentinian tennis at the moment. (Where is Del Potro?)
Oh Dear God!!!

Corey Feldman
05-30-2008, 08:26 PM
:wavey: Argie bargies

i must be hearing things but i heard Scwank shouting "Allez" and Pennetta shouting "Vamos" today

they should do it in their own language IMO

Corey Feldman
05-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Overrated clowns:lol:

Renaud
05-30-2008, 09:08 PM
No Scottish in 1/4 in a GS for the first time since...
ups.....

MusicMyst
05-30-2008, 09:09 PM
ups.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Adler
05-30-2008, 09:11 PM
ups.....
:haha:

for you :
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=yPd9pVUwPYA

Jimnik
05-30-2008, 09:38 PM
The Argies are better on hard courts these days.

Del_Toro
05-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Some are getting old: Chela, Calleri
some are getting fatter: Fat Nalbo
Some are not the same without their "vitamins": Puerta, Coria, Cañas
Some are not yet ready: Schwank
Some were one hit wonder: Gaudio
Some are simply overrated clowns: Acasuso, Del Potro, Mónaco, Berlocq, Roitman, etc.

Schwank seems is the only hope for the argies in the coming years.

zethand
05-30-2008, 10:39 PM
My prayers were heard. I will go to the church with my friend!

zethand
05-30-2008, 10:40 PM
ups.....

very dumb post!

MusicMyst
05-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Looks like the Spaniards (expected) and the Russians (not so expected) are the kings/queens of clay right now.

Corey Feldman
05-31-2008, 12:32 AM
ups.....
canard

Renaud
05-31-2008, 12:39 AM
canard

http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/10/07/77/31/duck_b10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=160&u=10077731)

finishingmove
05-31-2008, 01:25 AM

for you :
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=yPd9pVUwPYA

haha priceless

Knightmace
05-31-2008, 01:48 AM
Oh well.

CyBorg
05-31-2008, 01:51 AM
Horribly confusing title.

Cafisho
05-31-2008, 02:52 AM
Ditto.

Rofl... these chilean clowns. Go ahead and win something in any sport :lol:

On topic: Well... i thought Schwank was the Puerta of 2008 :p

Auscon
05-31-2008, 02:59 AM
How the mighty have fallen...

Alonsofz
05-31-2008, 03:18 AM
Rofl... these chilean clowns. Go ahead and win something in any sport :lol:
Yeah, when you get some humility ;)

Kolya
05-31-2008, 04:03 AM
The Argentines are getting ready for a Wimbledon assault.

Denaon
05-31-2008, 04:10 AM
Yeah, when you get some humility ;)

:spit: A chilean talking about humility :spit:

:rolls:

azza
05-31-2008, 04:44 AM
No Argentinians in French Open QF (since 2001), no in 4R (since 1998)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

*Viva Chile*
05-31-2008, 04:47 AM
yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

:p

FiBeR
05-31-2008, 06:47 AM
That's what happens when you overrate people too much.

Overrated clowns

feeling envious chicks? :kiss:

Argie Tennis >>>>>>>> Chilean Tennis >>>>>>>> Brasilian Tennis

:shrug: :p

FiBeR
05-31-2008, 06:55 AM
:spit: expected bunch of envious bashers in these thread coming from countries where the only "good" players they ever had -if any- are retired , unexistance, or semi-retired (:rolls:)

im sorry your tennis is not under the overachieving moment that once was seen (brasilian, chilean, scottish?:scratch: luxemburg? :spit: :o)

yes, we suck lately :shrug: no news :p but instead of bashing our country try to check the last time you guys had half the amount of argentines in the main draw of a grand slam, and 1/3 of the number of argentinians there are in the top 100 :p

then, come and bash us ^^

-
regarding the topic: yeah! :shrug: argentinian tennis is in crisis.. none of the good players are in form, and the overachievers are just that.. :shrug: we lack of freshness.. no surprise here.. :p expected

Albop
05-31-2008, 03:46 PM

buy glasses

jayjay
05-31-2008, 03:50 PM

:lol:

pochoster
05-31-2008, 04:41 PM
:spit: expected bunch of envious bashers in these thread coming from countries where the only "good" players they ever had -if any- are retired , unexistance, or semi-retired (:rolls:)

:rolleyes: pfffffffffffffffffffff, expected "humble" comment.

yes, we suck lately :shrug: no news :p but instead of bashing our country try to check the last time you guys had half the amount of argentines in the main draw of a grand slam, and 1/3 of the number of argentinians there are in the top 100 :p

then, come and bash us ^^

another "humble" comment.

with Nalbandian and Cañas looking out of the picture now, who's going to be the new overrated subject, Schwank?

don't be shocked people, if in the next week you're going to see these type of comments "Schwank Top 20 at the end of 2008" "Schwank RG champion in 2009"

pochoster
05-31-2008, 05:07 PM
finally some argies stayed quiet for a while because of this. (just check DDL) :haha: not a soul there :spit:

Albop
05-31-2008, 05:08 PM

Denaon
05-31-2008, 05:31 PM
:rolleyes: pfffffffffffffffffffff, expected "humble" comment.

another "humble" comment.

with Nalbandian and Cañas looking out of the picture now, who's going to be the new overrated subject, Schwank?

don't be shocked people, if in the next week you're going to see these type of comments "Schwank Top 20 at the end of 2008" "Schwank RG champion in 2009"

There'll be probably some more....but not as good as some of our players that are still in competition...

Argentina's tennis isn't as good as in previous years...big deal...in the meantime...let's cheer for the other latinamerican players....brazilians, chileans mainly...they certainly got something going on right now....:spit:

Be serious people...

jayjay
05-31-2008, 05:44 PM
LOL at all the Chileans having a big http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/1425/davybhoyssmileyrs9.gif in this thread.

Small victories for small people.

Clara Bow
05-31-2008, 05:45 PM
Kind of off topic- but why do Chileans seem to dislike Argentinians so much and are happy when Argie players do not do well?

I know there is some rivalries and history- but it seems really potent.

GugaF1
05-31-2008, 05:46 PM
I never understood the beef between Argies and Chileans really well, I know it has to do with a dispute over territories decades ago, I don't know if is because of that or cultural personality differences. The rivary between Brazil and Argentina is easy to understand because of the soccer.

I think every South American player should be respected weather from Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Peru when it comes to South America there is no doubt, if there is a country that has being able to form a true school of sucessful players is Argentina. Having between 8-10 players in the top 100, many great campaigns in Davis Cup. Brazil got really fortuned to have the most expressive players of them all in South America, Guga, but is not close to having a solid school like Argentina. But it is improving, in the challenger circuit Brazil is huge. I think is a question of time to transfer to ATP level..

Denaon
05-31-2008, 05:48 PM
LOL at all the Chileans having a big http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/1425/davybhoyssmileyrs9.gif in this thread.

jayjay
05-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Kind of off topic- but why do Chileans seem to dislike Argentinians so much and are happy when Argie players do not do well?

I think alot of the beef from the Chileans in this thread comes from those who threw chairs at Zabaleta and missed. This thread has offered them another chance to see if they can hit the target.

GugaF1
05-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Chile as Brazil got fortuned to land some really good players like Massu and specially Gonzalez. But I don't know how is the Chilean Tennis is doing because I don't know many Chileans prospect players in formation. I hope it doesn't end with Gonzalez and Nico..

fran70
05-31-2008, 06:10 PM
If you need to bash the Argentine players in the way you are doing shows how small the tennis in your countries is...

Going straight to the point, of course that after 10 years a great generation of players is coming to an end. This is a brief resume of Argentine results on the past 10 years:

* Nalbandian: 8 titles (included Master Series title in Shanghai, MS Madrid and Paris), Finalist in Wimbledon, semifinalist in Roland Garros, Australian Open and USA Open). Highest ranking: 3rd.
* Gaudio: 8 titles (included Roland Garros). Highest ranking: 5th
* Coria: 9 titles ( included MS Montecarlo and Hamburgo), Semifinalist in 2003 in Roland Garros, Finalist in 2004 in Roland Garros. Highest ranking: 3rd
* Canas: 7 titles (Included MS Toronto). Highest ranking: 8th
* Monaco: 3 titles. Highest ranking: 14th
* Chela: 4 titles. Highest ranking: 15th
* Calleri: 2 titles. Highest ranking: 16th
* Zabaleta: 3 titles. Highest ranking: 21st.
* Acasuso: 3 titles. Highest ranking: 20th
* Squillari: 3 titles. Semifinalist in Roland Garros. Highest ranking 11th
* Puerta: 3 titles.

Davis Cup perfomance: Finalist 2007. Semifinalist 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008.

Argentine tennis is not finished: Although of what is happening in 2008 Nalbandian is still the highest reference of Argentine tennis. Monaco is not the same one after that injury suffered on the tournament of Santiago. Del Potro can`t finished with that chain of injuries that he is suffering in the past 2 years ( he retired of 10 tournaments in the past 2 years). Acasuso is not a big player but if he recovers his confidence can be back on the top 30. And Schwank has jumped to scene but it`s still soon to say if he can be a reference aswell.

For those that blame some Argentines for the named doping cases, remember that ATP admitted their mistake with Coria and Chela`s cases, where they took vitamins provided by the ATP that contained prohibited substances. On the case of Cañas it was proved that the doctor of Acapulco Tourmanent made a mistake providing him a medicine that contained diuretic. So don`t come with that shit of doping cases.
The only case that I admit that was a cheater is Puerta.
I think Canas should had sued those ones that organize that tournament as well as Chela and Coria to the ATP for tarnishing their names.

PS. a los chilenos: aunque se sigan vistiendo de frac siguen siendo monos. I will never forget when those dirty chileans dropped their chairs to Zabaleta on that Davis Cup tied played in Chile. They were supposed to be people with certain education if you have the access to pay a ticket for a Davis Cup match which is exactly not cheap... Sucios mugrosos con cara de simio

shotgun
05-31-2008, 06:11 PM

They have a somewhat recent political beef (less than thirty years ago). They almost got in a war in 1979 because of the Beagle Channel, and Argies never got over the fact that the Chileans supported the Brits in the Falklands War.

Corey Feldman
05-31-2008, 06:11 PM
* Squillari: 3 titles. Semifinalist in Roland Garros. Highest ranking 11thand 2-0 v Federer

pochoster
05-31-2008, 06:14 PM

low class comment from a low class like you.

pride is being smuggled, I know it's painful, but don't blame the rest for that. :shrug:

Albop
05-31-2008, 06:15 PM
If you need to bash the Argentine players in the way you are doing shows how small the tennis in your countries is...

Going straight to the point, of course that after 10 years a great generation of players is coming to an end. This is a brief resume of Argentine results on the past 10 years:

* Nalbandian: 8 titles (included Master Series title in Shanghai, MS Madrid and Paris), Finalist in Wimbledon, semifinalist in Roland Garros, Australian Open and USA Open). Highest ranking: 3rd.
* Coria: 9 titles ( included MS Montecarlo and Hamburgo), Semifinalist in 2003 in Roland Garros, Finalist in 2004 in Roland Garros. Highest ranking: 3rd

Argentine tennis is not finished: Although of what is happening in 2008 Nalbandian is still the highest reference of Argentine tennis. Monaco is not the same one after that injury suffered on the tournament of Santiago. Del Potro can`t finished with that chain of injuries that he is suffering in the past 2 years ( he retired of 10 tournaments in the past 2 years). Acasuso is not a big player but if he recovers his confidence can be back on the top 30. And Schwank has jumped to scene but it`s still soon to say if he can be a reference aswell.

For those that blame some Argentines for the named doping cases, remember that ATP admitted their mistake with Coria and Chela`s cases, where they took vitamins provided by the ATP that contained prohibited substances. On the case of Cañas it was proved that the doctor of Acapulco Tourmanent made a mistake providing him a medicine that contained diuretic. So don`t come with that shit of doping cases.
I think Canas should had sued those ones that organize that tournament as well as Chela and Coria to the ATP for tarnishing their names.

PS. a los chilenos: aunque se sigan vistiendo de frac siguen siendo monos. Nunca me voy a olvidar que uds sucios mugrosos tiraron sillas a Zabaleta en la Copa Davis. Y era gente que tenia cierta educacion si tenes el poder adquisitivo para pagar una entrada e ir a un torneo de tenis... Sucios mugrosos con cara de simio

:retard:

why can't you post that in english?

http://www.argenautas.com/wp-content/argentino_mierda.jpg

martinatreue
05-31-2008, 06:15 PM
Bye bye Argies. Good riddance to Argies and Williamswitches :D :D

Albop
05-31-2008, 06:16 PM
and 2-0 v Federer

Argie Goat :cool:

Clara Bow
05-31-2008, 06:17 PM
They have a somewhat recent political beef (less than thirty years ago). They almost got in a war in 1979 because of the Beagle Channel, and Argies never got over the fact that the Chileans supported the Brits in the Falklands War.

But what does that have to do with tennis and players who had nothing to do with those things?

I know, simple question and sports can be a place where simmering political tensions manifest themselves in rooting for/against. I say this as someone who remembers as a kid being supposed to hate the Soviets at all times during the Olympics because they were the "Evil Empire" and we were in a Cold War and yadda yadda yadda but could never get up the ill will and hatred as a ten year old. I just never got along with that.

shotgun
05-31-2008, 06:20 PM
But what does that have to do with tennis?

The rivalry between Argentines and Chileans has not much to do with sport, unlike the rivalry between Argentines and Brazilians.

If you understand Spanish, this video illustrates the ARG-CHI beef.

dKsNKd51UK8

Jaap
05-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Chile >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Argentina.

justClaudia
05-31-2008, 06:21 PM
But what does that have to do with tennis?

nothing :lol:

And let's be honest here, most people hate because, they do.
Because they don't know better, because that's what their parents do, so they have to do it too.

& most have no clue what the Falklands War was anyway, they just know that they have to hate each other. :rolls:

Corey Feldman
05-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Chile v Argie on MTF is brilliant :worship:

Corey Feldman
05-31-2008, 06:24 PM
http://www.argenautas.com/wp-content/argentino_mierda.jpg
thats not you is it Albop? ;)

Albop
05-31-2008, 06:26 PM
thats not you is it Albop? ;)

no, the beer says all :p

it's an argie beer :p

Clara Bow
05-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Well, this has been an interesting background lesson. Thanks all for the input. I understand the situation around the hatred- just as an outsider, don't know if I agree with it from my experience mentioned above.

Dumb question- but with the Falklands War- does that mean that Argie fans hated Henman the way say- all Chileans seem to hate all Argie players?

shotgun
05-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Dumb question- but with the Falklands War- does that mean that Argie fans hated Henman the way say- all Chileans seem to hate all Argie players?

I don't know really, but you can be sure there is always a lot of "tension" preceeding ARG-GBR football matches.

ClaudiuS
05-31-2008, 06:30 PM
this is becoming rathly off-topic IMO? :scratch:

rocketassist
05-31-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't know really, but you can be sure there is always a lot of "tension" preceeding ARG-GBR football matches.

Most people outside of here basically view England as 'Great Britain'. Harsh on the Welsh/Scots, but that's the way it is. If Argentina played Scotland or Wales in an international football match, there would be no hatred or rivalry.

I've seen plenty of foreign people on this board refer to Andy Murray as English as well, even though he isn't, that backs up the above point.

ClaudiuS
05-31-2008, 06:32 PM

yes.

But that's because argies didn't measure the consequences :shrug: simple as that.

I simply dislike the attitude of some argies against the rest, specially chileans. I simple don't know why some much sense of superiority?

They're still celebrating victories from 20 or 30 years ago :o (Maradona or Vilas) that's pathetic dude.

shotgun
05-31-2008, 06:33 PM
Most people outside of here basically view England as 'Great Britain'. Harsh on the Welsh/Scots, but that's the way it is. If Argentina played Scotland or Wales in an international football match, there would be no hatred or rivalry.

Sorry, you're correct. I meant ARG-ENG.

GugaF1
05-31-2008, 06:33 PM
I don't think it has to do with Hate. When I lived abroad I knew Argentines that got along well with Chileans. So there are many people that are beyond that and don't even care about this past issues.But, it does fuel the "rivarly" for some, in the end I think the majoraty likes to see South Americans doing well, regardless.

Action Jackson
05-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Well, this has been an interesting background lesson. Thanks all for the input. I understand the situation around the hatred- just as an outsider, don't know if I agree with it from my experience mentioned above.

There are lots of things to do it. This thread will get locked eventually as there will be plenty of sledging between the Chileans and the Argies.

Henman was just Henman. It meant more in football, like Maradona when he said about his great volleyball spike which was actually a goal against England said "that was revenge for the Falklands".

Hewitt is going to play in Chile this year, he'll get the welcoming committee and chances are it will be more hostile than he got in Buenos Aires.

Action Jackson
05-31-2008, 06:38 PM

I know when the Argentine economy collapsed in 2002 I think. There were Chileans I know that were laughing saying "hahahaha, the arrogant ones got what they deserved". I'm like yeah maybe, but all that means is that more of them are going to work in Chile, whereas it used to be the other way around.

From the South Americans I know and it's plenty, the generalisation is that the Argentines are a bit proud and full of themselves, so when they lose at something, the others enjoy giving them to stick.

To me it's not an issue. Though the Gonzo vs Nalbandian match at the Aus Open, which I was there for was like a football crowd.

shotgun
05-31-2008, 06:45 PM
From the South Americans I know and it's plenty, the generalisation is that the Argentines are a bit proud and full of themselves, so when they lose at something, the others enjoy giving them to stick.

Yes, that's true. They're widely known as sore winners and sore losers.

jayjay
05-31-2008, 06:57 PM
I simply dislike the attitude of some argies against the rest, specially chileans. I simple don't know why some much sense of superiority?

In terms of this thread, alot of Chileans were having a pop (possibly forgetting that they have little or nothing to talk about when it comes to their own achievements on the court, on a football pitch, wherever) and a few Argentine posters threw some banter back.

The only attitude exhibited in this thread was from Chileans to Argentines. Far from showing superiority, some posters have shown inferiority.

Chile should be thankful to Argentina, if it wasn't for us you wouldn't have Matigol or Bielsa.

They're still celebrating victories from 20 or 30 years ago :o (Maradona or Vilas) that's pathetic dude.

Really? I think Argentina have had plenty of success in many forms on football and tennis courts since. So I don't really buy that at all. Being proud of past achievements is different from still celebrating them.

Yes, that's true. They're widely known as sore winners and sore losers.

Chileans are known as the same. Just without the winning bit.

ps. Shotgun, how many men are Brazil going to put behind the ball on June 18? :p

Back on topic. The performance of Argentine players at Roland Garros this year has been pathetic. That being said, given the resources available, Argentina has and is punching far above its weight. And maybe, just maybe, it is something the Chilean haters around here may want to take into account and possibly learn from.

shotgun
05-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Chileans are known as the same. Just without the winning bit.

ps. Shotgun, how many men are Brazil going to put behind the ball on June 18? :p

I'm confident we'll win, Argentina can only beat Brazil in Buenos Aires these days. ;)

ReturnWinner
05-31-2008, 07:07 PM
stupid tools, i am argentine and do not hate england neither chile , i do not wish them bad things either,either i am not full of himself ,or arrogance and or such stupid things like that some say.

Chileno
05-31-2008, 07:08 PM
I think that applies to other S.American nations as well...hotblooded...makes us do/say stupid things.

...and I don't think the Falklands is much of an issue anymore. Both countries were under dictatorships at the time (thanks USA!), so I seriously doubt anyone from either country had much of a say in the matter.

As for the topic...I'm with ReturnWinner.

jayjay
05-31-2008, 07:08 PM
i am not full of himself ,or arrogance and or such stupid things like that some say.

And you're modest. :worship:

ClaudiuS
05-31-2008, 07:10 PM
I
Chile should be thankful to Argentina, if it wasn't for us you wouldn't have Matigol or Bielsa.

hahaha. see? that's my point. :p
And would you have the same opinion if Bielsa would become a failure in the Chilean team?

Really? I think Argentina have had plenty of success in many forms on football and tennis courts since. So I don't really buy that at all. Being proud of past achievements is different from still celebrating them.

yes, you've had success in female hockey, rugby (not the 1st place though :p), tennis, football, etc, lots of sports. But that doesn't give you the right of calling us "small people".
Probably the Germans will have the same opinion about argies, after the flying kick from Cufre and the punch in the back by Mascherano after the penalty shootout in the WC.

That's simply lack of greatness, something that some argies will never learn.

jayjay
05-31-2008, 07:17 PM
hahaha. see? that's my point. :p
And would you have the same opinion if Bielsa would become a failure in the Chilean team?

Bielsa is a good coach. He will do a good job for Chile if you allow him to.

yes, you've had success in female hockey, rugby (not the 1st place though :p), tennis, football, etc, lots of sports. But that doesn't give you the right of calling us "small people".

The small people comment was a joke in retaliation at earlier Chilean jibes. If you guys can't take it, don't give it out.

Probably the Germans will have the same opinion about argies, after the flying kick from Cufre and the punch in the back by Mascherano after the penalty shootout in the WC.

That was one of the moments of the WC. And it just goes to show that Cufre should have got the role ahead of Ralph Macchio.

That's simply lack of greatness, something that some argies will never learn.

Maybe the Chileans should teach everyone how to be great, no?

Here's a thread for Chileans to look back on with great pride and humility. :D
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=105662&page=9

rocketassist
05-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Argies are notorious for not taking defeat well. After England beat them 1-0 in Japan in the 2002 WC, Kily Gonzalez assaulted Danny Mills in the tunnel afterwards.

Not forgetting their players were goading England fans from their coach after the France 98 game.

Action Jackson
05-31-2008, 07:23 PM
I think that applies to other S.American nations as well...hotblooded...makes us do/say stupid things.

...and I don't think the Falklands is much of an issue anymore. Both countries were under dictatorships at the time (thanks USA!), so I seriously doubt anyone from either country had much of a say in the matter.

As for the topic...I'm with ReturnWinner.

Well the Falklands issue. At the match I was referring to earlier at the change of ends a large section of the Chilean fans were singing songs about the Argies getting their arse kicked in the Malvinas.

Then the Argies sung back something about Pinochet.

jayjay
05-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Argies are notorious for not taking defeat well. After England beat them 1-0 in Japan in the 2002 WC, Kily Gonzalez assaulted Danny Mills in the tunnel afterwards.

If you lost a game to a team that featured Danny Mills and Trevor Sinclair, you'd want to hit someone too.

Not forgetting their players were goading England fans from their coach after the France 98 game.

That's actually complete bollox. It's well known that things get pretty rowdy on the Argentina coach before and after games with players singing and getting pumped up, and after hopefully celebrating victory.

Are Argentina players expected to change this tradition just to spare the sensitive souls of the English players on their coach (it was not the fans)?

Renaud
05-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Anyway it's just one tournament or one half of season. There is 1 Argentinian player in top 10, 2 in top 20, 5 in top 50, 10 in top 100.
10 years ago, Canas was the first Argie and number 88 at ATP ranking.

Action Jackson
05-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Anyway it's just one tournament or one half of season. There is 1 Argentinian player in top 10, 2 in top 20, 5 in top 50, 10 in top 100.
10 years ago, Canas was the first Argie and number 88 at ATP ranking.

Well Gumy and Squillari were the top 2 players and at that time it wasn't great.

You have one of the biggest clowns in tennis as head of the Argentine tennis federation. The generation they have ddi well in spite of him.

Renaud
05-31-2008, 07:56 PM
Well Gumy and Squillari were the top 2 players and at that time it wasn't great.

I took the ranking right after RG 1998. ;)

Jaap
05-31-2008, 08:02 PM

Also vs Germany in the world cup 2006. Bad losers, these Argies.

Jaap
05-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Loved how Britain went right on their doorstep in 1982 and took the piss.

Mug nation.

:haha::haha::haha:

ClaudiuS
05-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Maybe the Chileans should teach everyone how to be great, no?

Here's a thread for Chileans to look back on with great pride and humility. :D
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=105662&page=9

No need to be ironic. :shrug: Every person with a minimum sense of reasoning would understand that what that group of chileans did there were inmature and shameful actions.

And I pity some of my fellow chilean posters that didn't manage to recognized it.

But lets don't forget that in a lot of sports events including victories and defeats from Argentina. Some argie fans and players have shown fame of sore winners and losers. That's a fact, and that's the main point. Being sore winners and losers, is not a thing to be proud of, because it represents a lack of recognition to the rivals. :wavey: And that's mainly why some chilean posters get so excited on argie losses. :shrug:

ReturnWinner
05-31-2008, 08:18 PM
No need to be ironic. :shrug: Every person with a minimum sense of reasoning would understand that what that group of chileans did there were inmature and shameful actions.

And I pity some of my fellow chilean posters that didn't manage to recognized it.

But lets don't forget that in a lot of sports events including victories and defeats from Argentina. Some argie fans and players have shown fame of sore winners and losers. That's a fact, and that's the main point. Being sore winners and losers, is not a thing to be proud of, because it represents a lack of recognition to the rivals. :wavey: And that's mainly why some chilean posters get so excited on argie losses. :shrug:

wtf they are talking about, surely they are argentines who are sore losers but you are generalizating a lot,there are a tons chileans like that too and from all countries over the world
and speaking about sports i remember when a peruvian team named Cienciano won an international cup a big number of peruvians were acting with arrogance or when Brazil won the last world cup,happened the same when Rios was number one.

fran70
05-31-2008, 08:30 PM
And you're modest. :worship:

jayjay:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

This is the only time I will speak about anything else but tennis on here.

We the Argentines hate Margaret Thatcher but not British people. Today is something more related with football and rivality on sports. I have loads of British friends. But the chileans behaved as traitors. That`s unforgiveable. And what is even worse even today normal people in Chile are proud of that.

Related with tennis issues, I don`t understand how the ITF didn`t punished the chilean tennis federation on that Davis Cup where spectators threw their chairs to Zabaleta during minutes and NOBODY did anything. I will never forget that scene.

I don`t think that Argentine tennis is over. New players are coming. Maybe it is not going to be like this generation but there are a lot of young boys doing it well on the junior tour.

jayjay
05-31-2008, 08:37 PM

I am just playing with you. Chill out. I know you're not one of the extremists :)

But lets don't forget that in a lot of sports events including victories and defeats from Argentina. Some argie fans and players have shown fame of sore winners and losers. That's a fact, and that's the main point.

It is a fact, but a main point of what? No one has even denied it, but it is hardly exclusive to Argentines, is it?

The difference here is that some people can accept the good and bad aspects of characteristics/behaviour from groups of various nations. And then there are others who want to point to everything wrong with one group while failing to recognise that they are no better in any regard.

That's why personally, I find all of these kinds of threads and the road that they go down to be funny and why I use them to take the piss, because it's ridiculous the points of view that some people are trying to enforce/impose on others.

Being sore winners and losers, is not a thing to be proud of, because it represents a lack of recognition to the rivals. :wavey:

Again, there is difference between being proud of it and being able to just recognise that it has been the case. But again, why are you and others talking like your own nations have not been guilty of exactly the same kind of things?

Let's be honest. Alot of the Chilean anger is directed out of some jealousy. You'd loved to have had the same kinds of success in sport that Argentina has had, and you've certainly behaved no better or worse. So there is no moral victory here for Chile, if that is what you or anyone else is trying to claim.

We both know the sporting history of both of our nations, so please don't make me bring up some of the things Chile have been guilty of. Just like I don't need you to bring up things Argentina have done wrong. I know Argentina have done things wrong, and I don't deny their existence.

And that's mainly why some chilean posters get so excited on argie losses. :shrug:

As I said, it's mainly jealousy. You find it with any sport any sets of fans. Fans of lesser teams/nations/players whatever, always get more giddy when one of their 'rivals' takes a hit to give them some satisfaction that their own team/nation/players cannot give in the form of their own successes.

ClaudiuS
05-31-2008, 08:44 PM
But the chileans behaved as traitors. That`s unforgiveable. And what is even worse even today normal people in Chile are proud of that.

please don't generalize ;) It was a dictatorship governing Chile at the time, so don't blame the entire country for the actions of just of group of militars.
so try to think next time, before writing.

Related with tennis issues, I don`t understand how the ITF didn`t punished the chilean tennis federation on that Davis Cup where spectators threw their chairs to Zabaleta during minutes and NOBODY did anything. I will never forget that scene.

Chile got a penalty from the ITF of not playing DC ties in their home soil because of the "chairs incident."
So please be informed next time, before writing.

krakenzero
05-31-2008, 08:46 PM

We the Argentines hate Margaret Thatcher but not British people. Today is something more related with football and rivality on sports. I have loads of British friends. But the chileans behaved as traitors. That`s unforgiveable. And what is even worse even today normal people in Chile are proud of that.

I don`t think that Argentine tennis is over. New players are coming. Maybe it is not going to be like this generation but there are a lot of young boys doing it well on the junior tour.

Let me get this straight: concerning Falklands, you hate Margaret Thatcher but not British People. And, in the same subject, you hate chilean people but not Augusto Pinochet. Well that's interesting:rolleyes:...

Concerning the topic, it's not that weird if you consider the previous clay tourneys. Argentina is becoming better in HC than in Clay at the moment (last year they made 3 HC TMS finals and won 2), and considering that thes next hope is Del Potro, I don't think that this is going to change in the next years. In Clay, the hope is that Monaco finds his form again. That, added to ocasional good performances of Nalbandian, is the clay force that remains standing for Argentina at the moment.

rocketassist
05-31-2008, 08:49 PM

I hate Maggie Thatcher as well, not for the same reasons, but because she's a ****.

jayjay
05-31-2008, 08:50 PM
I hate Maggie Thatcher as well, not for the same reasons, but because she's a ****.

fran70
05-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Chile got a penalty from the ITF of not playing DC ties in their home soil because of the "chairs incident."
So please be informed next time, before writing.

Giving Argentina the match lost because they didn`t wanted to play that match anymore after what happened (Argentina was considered walk over) and not allowing Chile one year to play at home soil is not a punishment, is a joke.

ClaudiuS
05-31-2008, 09:02 PM
and not allowing Chile one year to play at home soil is not a punishment, is a joke.

It looked like a penalty to the ITF and to both federations, if you don't see it that way, well that's your problem. The argie tennis federation agreed the decrease of the penalty, so that blame it to your own tennis federation, not to us. :shrug:

fran70
05-31-2008, 09:05 PM
It looked like a penalty to the ITF and to both federations, if you don't see it that way, well that's your problem. The argie tennis federation agreed the decrease of the penalty, so that blame it to your own tennis federation, not to us. :shrug:

Yes, you are right...

Alonsofz
05-31-2008, 09:06 PM

PS. a los chilenos: aunque se sigan vistiendo de frac siguen siendo monos. I will never forget when those dirty chileans dropped their chairs to Zabaleta on that Davis Cup tied played in Chile. They were supposed to be people with certain education if you have the access to pay a ticket for a Davis Cup match which is exactly not cheap... Sucios mugrosos con cara de simio
But this thread is about RG '08, no? :scratch: There's no need to be racist, that talks very bad about you.
Personally I support some Argies like Schwank, Gaudio or Calleri, but I think the most of them are overrated, like Nalby... the guy has a lot of talent and has won TMC and MS titles, but in important matches (Grand Slams, specifically) he sucks :shrug:... also Mónaco and Del Potro are overrated IMO, but Argie tennis has future in Schwank, Pella, Vázquez-Valenzuela, Collarini and a few more...

Action Jackson
05-31-2008, 09:15 PM

To the point.

fran70
05-31-2008, 09:17 PM

Corey Feldman
05-31-2008, 09:37 PM
I hate Maggie Thatcher as well, not for the same reasons, but because she's a ****.Do you remember the clips of Maggie on spitting image? that face :lol:

nolop
05-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Too bad.

ChinoRios4Ever
06-01-2008, 04:59 AM
same old shit over and over again :rolleyes:

stop fighting :smash: