RG R3: Djokovic def. Odesnik 7-5, 6-4, 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG R3: Djokovic def. Odesnik 7-5, 6-4, 6-2

Manon
05-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Novak in locer room before the match - 'I will uderestimate my opponent, I'll play with 25-30%, I'll beat him in 3, 2 & 3 (maybe less). It should be easy'.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'No way Hose, it wasn't be this way'.

Your extremely furious fan.

HeretiC
05-30-2008, 05:41 PM
To be honest Wayne did put some good fight at certain moments. :worship:

Fee
05-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Wayne should be very very proud of himself for what he accomplished earning that wildcard and making a decent show of it. I'm sure the money will help too. Hope he gets to enjoy himself a little bit before he heads to grass.

piksi
05-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Nole had to work for the first 2 sets but was good enough for the hard working American. Not a great match but still some good tennis from both. Next round should be similar.

juninhOH
05-30-2008, 05:46 PM
yes I thought he played well, except on the really important points, like 55 on first set, 45 on second and some more others. Ah the beginning of the 3rd where he could break Djokovic and go ahead.

But that's obviously normal when you are facing a top3.

maxxo
05-30-2008, 05:46 PM
a good fight from wayno

Petrovic
05-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Novak was poor today !
Played just enough to win !
Needs to improve !

arm
05-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Time to start raising the level, Djokovic, no? Anyway, :yeah:

Eurosport :mad:

Manon
05-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Nole had to work for the first 2 sets but was good enough for the hard working American. Not a great match but still some good tennis from both. Next round should be similar.

Jo Jury said quitte good thing - 'He have to keep his concentration, especially when is 4-1 in his favor'. And she's right.

Alex999
05-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Odesnik wasn't playing too bad. Novak was all right, nothing special, he played well enough to win. I'm watching Schwank vs. Mathiew and I really like the young Argentine guy, good stuff.

camnation
05-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Odesnik wasn't playing too bad. Novak was all right, nothing special, he played well enough to win. I'm watching Schwank vs. Mathiew and I really like the young Argentinian guy, good stuff.
Are you watching it because you chose to, or do you have no choice? I'm in the latter with my TV coverage right now. :sad:

Alex999
05-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Are you watching it because you chose to, or do you have no choice? I'm in the latter with my TV coverage right now. :sad:
I don't have a choice either, but I don't mind. I was able to see first 2 sets of the Novak vs. Odesnik match.

arm
05-30-2008, 05:56 PM

:hug:

I'm still mad. You?

Manon
05-30-2008, 05:57 PM

I'm wondering too. I half saw that match - Mathey and Schwank didn't show much. I thought it would be easy for PHM but..

camnation
05-30-2008, 05:58 PM
I don't have a choice either, but I don't mind. I was able to see first 2 sets of the Novak vs. Odesnik match.
I got to watch only the second set and the end of the first. Sigh.

Manon
05-30-2008, 05:59 PM

I'm still mad, you?

Why? Don't be :hug:

camnation
05-30-2008, 06:00 PM

I'm still mad, you?
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I hope that answers your question, lol!

Fumus
05-30-2008, 06:03 PM
What an upset! Odesnik going home with head down in shame. There's so much pressure on Wayne ya know, so I guess it's understandable that he cracked under it. :mad: Maybe next year choke artist Wayne!!

groundstroke
05-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Did Djokovic really say that?

arm
05-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Why? Don't be :hug:

Manon :hug:

Eurosport refused to transmit the whole match. Instead they just transmited parts of it (like 35% of the match). :mad::mad::mad:

Me and Camnation, lost the last set. Including the part when he was having fun with the crowd (possibly Rose :hug:).

MrChopin
05-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Ha, yeah it was a little closer than expected. Had Odesnik not choked two returns away at 4-5* 0-30 in the second, he could have gotten back into it. The stretch from that game to Djokovic breaking early in the third was crucial. Once Odesnik missed his chances to break and then Djokovic came back and broke, the third set was routine.

Djokovic keeps on cruising. He'll have to clean up some of those erratic errors though if he's going to stand a chance in the semis. I don't think PHM or Gulbis will give him much to worry about, though the PHM match could get ugly.

And I thought Odesnik walking away while Djokovic bounced was hilarious. Djokovic was a good sport about it though, even making fun of himself at the end. Maybe he's growing up a little.

Alex999
05-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Manon was just sarcastic, Novak didn't say anything :).

Manon
05-30-2008, 06:09 PM

No, this is my 'work':)

Manon
05-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Manon :hug:

Eurosport refused to transmit the whole match. Instead they just transmited parts of it (like 35% of the match). :mad::mad::mad:

Me and Camnation, lost the last set. Including the part when he was having fun with the crowd (possibly Rose :hug:).

I understand. I was watching Eurosport too coz I can't listening our new commentator.

Manon was just sarcastic, Novak didn't say anything :).

:yeah:

Lee
05-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Hopefully this match awaken Novak. :tape:

HoistDaColors
05-30-2008, 06:14 PM
wayne put up a formidable fight. good for him.

my computer sound driver is messed up. did the commentators say anything about novak's body language and facial expressions? He seemed to be annoyed with something and he was slumping his shoulders and talking to himself a lot.

Alex999
05-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Hopefully this match awaken Novak. :tape:
He'll be fine, nothing to worry about :).

KitinovRules
05-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Wayne could turned the match upside down in the second set. It was 4:5 (after 4:1 lead for the Faker) , 0:30 and very easy second serve by the Faker. Wayne had the ball on his racket and somehow force it and blew that chance away.

I think that the Faker is having a bit problems when playing a lefty and have a high spin ball on the backhand.

And BTW, it is indeed impresive list of the player which Faker eliminated at RG.

Gremelmayr - 64th
That Spanish qualifier who 2 motnhs ago played on a futures level (264th, worst ranking in RG)
Odesnik , a Wild Card ranked 104th

:)
All top class players
and he managed to lose a set . Wow

Alex999
05-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Wayne could turned the match upside down in the second set. It was 4:5 (after 4:1 lead for the Faker) , 0:30 and very easy second serve by the Faker. Wayne had the ball on his racket and somehow force it and blew that chance away.

I think that the Faker is having a bit problems when playing a lefty and have a high spin ball on the backhand.

And BTW, it is indeed impresive list of the player which Faker eliminated at RG.

Gremelmayr - 64th
That Spanish qualifier who 2 motnhs ago played on a futures level (264th, worst ranking in RG)

All top class players
Kitinov, I was wondering if you are going to show up and show some love for Nole :lol::lol::lol:. Yeah, this Djokovic is just evil, his draw is fixed :hug:.

l_mac
05-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Good enough from Nole.

KitinovRules
05-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Kitinov, I was wondering if you are going to show up and show some love for Nole :lol::lol::lol:. Yeah, this Djokovic is just evil, his draw is fixed :hug:.
Thank you Alex for the kind words ;)

Of course it is not fixed, it just cakewalk.

He is not "guilty" for that , just that he has it for the second year in a row in RG.

Guess what, he is playing seed next round. Finally.

Though the seed is the king of the chokers, but it is still a seed. ;)

Alex999
05-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Thank you Alex for the kind words ;)

Of course it is not fixed, it just cakewalk.

He is not "guilty" for that , just that he has it for the second year in a row in RG.

Guess what, he is playing seed next round. Finally.

Though the seed is the king of the chokers, but it is still a seed. ;)

It's all good. Yes he got lucky with his draw (Federer too). It's too bad that Moya, Berdych, Canas etc. all lost.

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 06:54 PM
It's all good. Yes he got lucky with his draw (Federer too). It's too bad that Moya, Berdych, Canas etc. all lost.

i did say that he shouldnt lose more than 10 games today. i was off by 1 game.

looks like the the massive semifinal showdown is on. Fed has to be overjoyed out his mind that he doesnt have to deal with the Serbian Slayer.

Nadal will win this one but it may take close to 4 hours. he will have to wear down Djokovic. no other way to beat him. you cant blast him off the court on any surface, let alone clay.

Grunge
05-30-2008, 06:56 PM

Gremelmayr - 64th

All top class players

Imagine poor guys who managed to loose against players from your list. :confused:
While Nadal and Federer had hell of a draw in first rounds (Querrey - guy who managed to win whole 9 points in second set against Djokovic in MC, Montanes - collecting games against Nole in Hamburg, Devilder, Bellucci - players far, far better than Gremelmayr for example.

What draw do you expect for top 4 players in first three rounds? And if other seeded players drop out, it means that those guys who beat them are better than their rankings suggest.
Your obsession with Djokovic is getting near mental hospital level

arm
05-30-2008, 06:57 PM

looks like the the massive semifinal showdown is on. Fed has to be overjoyed out his mind that he doesnt have to deal with the Serbian Slayer.

Nadal will win this one but it may take close to 4 hours. he will have to wear down Djokovic. no other way to beat him. you cant blast him off the court on any surface, let alone clay.

Your conclusion about Nadal - Djokovic eventual match was based on this match? :eek:

KitinovRules
05-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Imagine poor guys who managed to loose against players from your list. :confused:
While Nadal and Federer had hell of a draw in first rounds (Querrey - guy who managed to win whole 9 points in second set against Djokovic in MC, Montanes - collecting games against Nole in Hamburg, Devilder, Bellucci - players far, far better than Gremelmayr for example.

What draw do you expect for top 4 players in first three rounds? And if other seeded players drop out, it means that those guys who beat them are better than their rankings suggest.

Querrey is a 1/4 finalist in Monte Carlo.
Keep laughing at Belluci, he will be top 50 very soon and has the talent to go very , very high.

arm
05-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Querrey is a 1/4 finalist in Monte Carlo.Keep laughing at Belluci, he will be top 50 very soon and has the talent to go very , very high.

I bet when he played Nole he was such a weak player. But now that he played Federer, he is a 1/4 finalist. :yeah: Coherence at its best

KitinovRules
05-30-2008, 07:00 PM

:haha::haha::haha::haha:

C'mon the Faker is having problems with Gremel and Odesnik at this soon to be cement clay.
He will not reach Rafa.

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Your conclusion about Nadal - Djokovic eventual match was based on this match? :eek:

negative. its pretty much a given. Djokovic is just bursting with talent. top 3 are head and shoulders above the rest.

arm
05-30-2008, 07:02 PM
negative. its pretty much a given. Djokovic is just bursting with talent. top 3 are head and shoulders above the rest.

Ok, then I agree with you. :yeah:

Manon
05-30-2008, 07:14 PM

No comment. I wish you all the luck.

Corey Feldman
05-30-2008, 07:19 PM
lucky one Nole

Alex999
05-30-2008, 07:27 PM
lucky one Nole
Where have you been? You always bring luck to Nole when you say "lucky one, Nole" :hug: (Don't you dare to stop saying that, promise :))

Corey Feldman
05-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes damn it you are right, from now on i should say something different i guess ;)

maybe i need 'marshmallow Srdjan' avatar back ;)

Alex999
05-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Yes damn it you are right, from now on i should say something different i guess ;)

maybe i need 'marshmallow Srdjan' avatar back ;)
:lol:

Tiklish
05-30-2008, 07:59 PM
One of the reasons I can't stand Djokovic happened again today. There he is leading 2 sets to none over his opponent, and he throws his racquet at 1-1 in the third set because he isn't breaking his opponent quickly enough. And he does this all the time, throwing little frustration tantrums when he's winning. Can't stand him. And the media suddenly pronouncing his name Jock-ovitch isn't going to prevent negative nicknames. So now instead of Joker or Choker he's Jock-itch to me.

Manon
05-30-2008, 08:01 PM
he throws his racquet at 1-1 in the third set because he isn't breaking his opponent quickly enough.

No, because he missed one simple shot.

arm
05-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Can't stand him.

I accept that. You have the right to.

One of the reasons I can't stand Djokovic happened again today. There he is leading 2 sets to none over his opponent, and he throws his racquet at 1-1 in the third set because he isn't breaking his opponent quickly enough. And he does this all the time, throwing little frustration tantrums when he's winning.

False: he is doing it fewer and fewer times and if you had followed his last clay matches, you would have noticed how hard he tries not to do that. Sometimes he is about to do it, but he manages to calm down.

I have noticed that, but I could be wrong.. :shrug:

tangerine_dream
05-30-2008, 08:22 PM
One of the reasons I can't stand Djokovic happened again today. There he is leading 2 sets to none over his opponent, and he throws his racquet at 1-1 in the third set because he isn't breaking his opponent quickly enough. And he does this all the time, throwing little frustration tantrums when he's winning. Can't stand him. And the media suddenly pronouncing his name Jock-ovitch isn't going to prevent negative nicknames. So now instead of Joker or Choker he's Jock-itch to me.
So you hate Djokovic for throwing a racket but you love Gonzalez when he smashes his to bits? Interesting.

tennisfan444

MaryX
And he does this all the time

The guy is perfectionist :shrug:

He even did it in Karlovic match, because he couldn't return better :shrug: Tells a lot.

piksi
05-30-2008, 09:02 PM

So many great players have shown frustrations in different ways when things aren't going great. The reason why they were/are great players is because they are never satisfied with their game. You can love them or hate them but they are still great.

You don't have to like Novak but he isn't going anywhere for a long time - so You either get used to it or deal with Your on frustrations because he will be winning a lot and doing same things a lot.

I personally don't care. Jhonny Mac did it all the time and Becker too. I liked them both because they were great players with personality.I don't like robots like Edberg, Lendl, Chang, Federer, Sampras and others. And they are great champions but who are they - if You know what I mean

Herdwick
05-30-2008, 09:08 PM
He's frustrated with himself for heaven's sake. You may personally not like it but how does it harm anyone? Heaven preserve us from po-faced automatons...

l_mac
05-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Now people aren't even allowed to say what it is they don't like about Novak? :haha: :haha:

Most over sensitive fan base ever. :p

Vida
05-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi everybody.

Yeeeaaah, it was ok I guess. He struggled a bit, not uncommon really for him (or anyone for that matter). Odesnik played good, really impressed with him. He didn't choke or anything similar, he gave his best. Its a fine FH he has there, serve too (shitty at the net though). I cant see where does he get the power to blast it all.

Regarding the Nole antics: its part of the package I suppose. Personality and all that. I mean the guy is so expressive one way or the other. I like that about him. You could see that the people in the stands had fun, either cheering him or booing him a bit. He doesn't mind it cause ultimately its all entertainment. Kids love it, how often do you see a parent sleeping and not his kid.

Im not sure, but there was a moment when he seemed to make fun of himself bouncing the ball and Odesnik played along.

Yeah it was ok.

xargon
05-30-2008, 09:20 PM
During the match, Robinson quoted Odesnik as saying:
'I am the best clay court player in America.'

McEnroe said that was quite a statement for Odesnik to make! ;)

Mac also said Novak had an awesome forehand.

Matt01
05-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Now people aren't even allowed to say what it is they don't like about Novak? :haha: :haha:

In this thread? I must have missed that...:rolleyes:

MaryX
05-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Now people aren't even allowed to say what it is they don't like about Novak?

No one can stop you ;)

Petrovic
05-30-2008, 10:02 PM

Joker throws his racket !!!???
Good lord ! :eek:

I foud it very strange for tennis player to do that ! :p
And the way you coming up with nicknames for him is so funny and interesting :retard: (BTW if you missed that smiley , its RETARD)

G.A.L, Get a life....

navy75
05-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Off the court, I think Novak is a funny guy.

On the court, however, I still think he has a lot of growing up to do. I love his perfectionism and desire to win at all costs. I hate his gamesmanship and temper tantrums on the other hand. I'm still amazed he hasn't gotten warned several times over for bouncing the ball 30 times on first serves, and 20 times on second serves during big points. Play is always supposed to be continuous between the serves. Also, the ball bouncing should count against his time limit on first serves. Hopefully an umpire will show some guts and enforce the rules on him.

It'll be interesting to see how/if Novak matures in the next several years, as the talent and determination is certainly there...

Acer
05-30-2008, 10:31 PM
So you hate Djokovic for throwing a racket but you love Gonzalez when he smashes his to bits? Interesting.

Somehow, seeing Safin smash a zillion rackets in one set doesn't annoy me nearly as much as seeing Djokovic throw his racket once during a match.

Manon
05-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Shame on him. He should hear suggestions from MTFrs. He'd be a better man.

vucina
05-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Somehow, seeing Safin smash a zillion rackets in one set doesn't annoy me nearly as much as seeing Djokovic throw his racket once during a match.

That's because no one hates losers. They look at Safin, and feel good about themselves.

Acer
05-30-2008, 10:56 PM
That's because no one hates losers. They look at Safin, and feel good about themselves.
I still hate Coria :)

Apemant
05-30-2008, 11:05 PM

:confused:

They look at a 2 GS tennis champion and a former #1 of the world, who also happens to be as hot as a hollywood superstar - and they feel good about themselves? In which galaxy, or rather, in which parallel dimension? :devil:

vucina
05-30-2008, 11:16 PM
:confused:

They look at a 2 GS tennis champion and a former #1 of the world, who also happens to be as hot as a hollywood superstar - and they feel good about themselves? In which galaxy, or rather, in which parallel dimension? :devil:

Yeah, he probably fucks a lot, but he'll be remembered as a waste of talent, not a 2 times GS winner.
There's nothing worse than a wasted potential.

Manon
05-30-2008, 11:25 PM
I still hate Coria :)

I'm not sure but I think you are the one here.

Aloimeh
05-31-2008, 12:10 AM

Most over sensitive fan base ever. :p

No, it's because they're being inconsistent. They are trying to come up with "rational" reasons why they hate Djokovic, such as racket throwing, yet some of these same people would support Safin and consider his racket smashing just a slightly over-the-top expression of legitimate emotions.

Novak-haters, please stop giving us "reasons" why you hate him. We get that you hate him, and that's enough.

RonE
05-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Novak was poor today !
Played just enough to win !
Needs to improve !

Thats what always happens with top players in the early stages of a slam. I trust he knows he needs to conserve enegry for the more difficult matches and I trust he will up the ante when he needs to in the later stages of the tournament.

Merton
05-31-2008, 02:18 AM
10 done, 24 to go.

Aloimeh
05-31-2008, 02:28 AM
10 done, 24 to go.

What are you counting?

Tiklish
05-31-2008, 02:43 AM

Every time I've seen Gonzalez break his racquet, he broke it at a time when anger or frustration made sense, like when he was losing, such as when he just lost a set. Djokovic throwing his when he's up 2 sets to 0 and in the process of trying to break while only two games into the third is annoying to me. I've never seen another player throw fits under similar circumstances. Pardon me for expressing an opinion. Didn't realize this was a Djokovic can do no wrong gush thread.

l_mac
05-31-2008, 02:45 AM
10 done, 24 to go.

Aloimeh, you should know!

Aloimeh
05-31-2008, 02:51 AM

Aloimeh, you should know!

I was thinking it could be that. But the 24 threw me off: I thought slams had 7 rounds. :confused:

And he forgot about the Olympics matches. ;)

http://etftrends.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/12/27/gold.jpg

l_mac
05-31-2008, 02:55 AM
I was thinking it could be that. But the 24 threw me off: I thought slams had 7 rounds. :confused:

And he forgot about the Olympics matches. ;)

http://etftrends.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/12/27/gold.jpg

:(

4 more matches at RG, 14 for Wimbledon and USO, and 6 rounds for Olympics - I assume.

Do they have to play 6 matches at the Olympics? That's a lot.

Aloimeh
05-31-2008, 02:56 AM

4 more matches at RG, 14 for Wimbledon and USO, and 6 rounds for Olympics - I assume.

Is his math wrong or do the top seeds get byes for the first round? If so, it ought to be 28, no? ;)

So really, it should be 10 done, 34 to go.

l_mac
05-31-2008, 02:58 AM
Is his math wrong or do the top seeds get byes for the first round? If so, it ought to be 28, no? ;)

So really, it should be 10 done, 34 to go.

4 + 14 + 6 = 24 :shrug:

What else are you looking for?

Aloimeh
05-31-2008, 02:59 AM
Linda, we could get along so well if you weren't such a hater. :sad:

http://www.ontariowildflower.com/images/thistle_bull_flower.jpg

l_mac
05-31-2008, 02:59 AM
Linda, we could get along so well if you weren't such a hater. :sad:

I'm not a hater :sad: I'm just misunderstood. :awww:

Aloimeh
05-31-2008, 03:00 AM

4 + 14 + 6 = 24 :shrug:

What else are you looking for?

Doh. Bad misreading of Merton's post.

Merton
05-31-2008, 03:01 AM

That is it, I assume a 64 player tournament in the Olympics. That means 6 rounds, similar to a masters with no byes.

l_mac
05-31-2008, 03:02 AM
That is it, I assume a 64 player tournament in the Olympics. That means 6 rounds, similar to a masters with no byes.

And how long is the competition? 10 days?

Honestly, Roddick will win the USO this year.

Aloimeh
05-31-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm not a hater :sad: I'm just misunderstood. :awww:

If you don't mind my asking, are you close to Rafa's age?

Merton
05-31-2008, 03:11 AM
And how long is the competition? 10 days?

Honestly, Roddick will win the USO this year.

Just one week, like a masters. The final is best of 5 though, and there is no decisive tiebreak in the 3rd set. As for the 2nd part it depends on how deep the contenders go, look at what happened in Athens.

l_mac
05-31-2008, 03:18 AM
If you don't mind my asking, are you close to Rafa's age?

I have been Rafa's age :D

Are you?

Aloimeh
05-31-2008, 03:22 AM

Are you?

Slightly older.

Rafa = Fed Killa
05-31-2008, 03:22 AM
Nole keep it going.

The semis are gonna be fun to watch but wish that was the final.

l_mac
05-31-2008, 03:23 AM
Just one week, like a masters. The final is best of 5 though, and there is no decisive tiebreak in the 3rd set. As for the 2nd part it depends on how deep the contenders go, look at what happened in Athens.

True.

Maybe a better thing to say is I can't see the Gold medal winner also winning the USO.

Aloimeh
05-31-2008, 03:24 AM
True.

Maybe a better thing to say is I can't see the Gold medal winner also winning the USO.

Why not? Isn't there a week between the Olympics and the USO? Should be enough time to recuperate, even considering the jet lag.

mediter
05-31-2008, 05:33 AM

Are you?

you are disclosing valuable info to an extremist and an ardent supporter of ethnic cleansing.I even suspect he may have links to serbian intelligence. who knows he may arrive at your home tomorrow morning.

you are advised to exercise utmost caution in dealing with this guy. My psychological profile of him says he is armed and dangerous.

mediter
05-31-2008, 05:34 AM

Are you?

you are disclosing valuable info to an extremist and an ardent supporter of ethnic cleansing.I even suspect he may have links to serbian intelligence. who knows he may arrive at your home tomorrow morning.

you are advised to exercise utmost caution in dealing with this guy. My psychological profile of him says he is armed and dangerous.

Knightmace
05-31-2008, 05:36 AM
Piece of cake.

Action Jackson
05-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Good effort Wayne and that he is taking in the lessons from Felix. Taking the piss out of the Djokovic was the highlight of this match, at least it was done in jest.

Aloimeh
05-31-2008, 02:19 PM

:haha: Good one, mediter!

Clay Death
05-31-2008, 02:23 PM
:haha: Good one, mediter!

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha: